Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the way since I never actually got around to it, I think I'm going to go through DS1 again on my pc version I bought because Blighttown is intolerable anymore. DSFix and whatever the multiplayer mod thing that works with it was called have been updated to work with the new steamworks version right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki? Did I read that press release right?

Welp. I'm in. Let's do this. :darksouls:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The Dark Souls 2 DLC was the best part of Dark Souls 2 just like the Dark Souls 1 DLC was the best part of Dark Souls 1 because they get to use unfinished stuff and finish it over a lot more time than they originally had

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

The first shot of that trailer looks like the ruins of Anor Londo. Either way, hype levels at maximum since Miyazaki's back.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

The first shot of that trailer looks like the ruins of Anor Londo. Either way, hype levels at maximum since Miyazaki's back.

If they tell me the fast sidestepping combat from Bloodborne is a playstyle option in Dark Souls III, I don't think I'll be able to handle the hype.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The A Team versus B Team "oh Miyazaki's back everything is good now" stuff is super dumb.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I think I speak for everyone when I say hopefully they learned from previous games' mistakes and have easier combat, a more explicit narrative, and linear level design

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

If they tell me the fast sidestepping combat from Bloodborne is a playstyle option in Dark Souls III, I don't think I'll be able to handle the hype.

Some of the leaked content mentioned "Sword Arts," which one presumes is the spellcasting equivalent for physical-based characters, so it's a definite possibility.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think I speak for everyone when I say hopefully they learned from previous games' mistakes and have easier combat, a more explicit narrative, and linear level design

We better get some qtes in here finally.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

RBA Starblade posted:

We better get some qtes in here finally.

Need to follow Fallout's lead and give us a fully voiced main character

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

John Darksouls, press "A" to pay your respects.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

The A Team versus B Team "oh Miyazaki's back everything is good now" stuff is super dumb.

Having played and enjoyed every game in the series/pseudo-series, I can tell you that I enjoyed the ones Miyazaki directed more than I enjoyed the one he didn't. I still liked Dark Souls II, but not as much as the others. I am therefore happy that the person who directed the ones I liked the most is going to direct the new one. If that's super dumb, then I readily accept that I am super dumb.

Vermain posted:

Some of the leaked content mentioned "Sword Arts," which one presumes is the spellcasting equivalent for physical-based characters, so it's a definite possibility.

If that's legit, then it might finally break me of my crippling sorcery addiction. Hooray!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Infinite health would be good, QTE's and forced 24fps with letter boxing, please.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I kind of hope they explicitly keep the fast sidestepping stuff out of DS3 actually.

I want fast graceful combat to stay a Bloodborne "thing" and for weighty movement to be core to Souls still.

Faster rolls are ok, but the second your protag starts zooming around I don't think it fits the Souls mechanics pretty well. Bloodborne basically rebuilt its combat system to adjust to the speed factor.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I loved Dark Souls 2 but I personally felt like DS2 lacked the attention to world detail and "storytelling" that Dark Souls had.

e: And Demon's Souls, too. Demon's Souls' strangeness is what appealed to me initially.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm fine with them including speedster sidestepping combat as an option for certain character builds. I don't think it has to be an "either-or" thing: you can have dudes with massive windup greatswords and dudes who hop around like rabbits poking things with a rapier.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Vermain posted:

I'm fine with them including speedster sidestepping combat as an option for certain character builds. I don't think it has to be an "either-or" thing: you can have dudes with massive windup greatswords and dudes who hop around like rabbits poking things with a rapier.

Its also a world and lore thing though. Hunters could zip around because they were unarmored and full of space god blood. The undead in DS are, durability aside, essentially "human" in their dexterity.

I say this as a guy who cranked DEX and ADP to softcap almost immediately. I think comparatively fast combat can be fine, but the really inhuman zippy combat of Bloodborne doesn't seem to click for me in the Souls series.

Aurain posted:

Infinite health would be good, QTE's and forced 24fps with letter boxing, please.

Complete aside but I remember playing Evil Within at launch and almost taking my PS4 to get repaired because I thought the framerate was something wrong with my console.

Vanderdeath posted:

I loved Dark Souls 2 but I personally felt like DS2 lacked the attention to world detail and "storytelling" that Dark Souls had.

e: And Demon's Souls, too. Demon's Souls' strangeness is what appealed to me initially.

Yeah, Dark Souls struck me as tremendous potential only partially achieved and Dark Souls II struck me as less potential but fully achieved.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vanderdeath posted:

I'd agree. But it also had significant improvements in other areas and I seriously doubt these differences can adequately be explained with a single person.

Ergo: super dumb

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

*record scratch*
Oh, when they were, good they were good, to be sure. And most looked good; the problem was that about 3/4ths of them were "Big thing that spams sweeping attacks wildly at you and kills you and are built off the werewolf model" to some degree, while the chalice bosses were often just upgraded normal enemies.

In moving away from the Dark Souls "The tactic is always 'Hit in butt' ", they kinda instead went overboard with bosses that just OHKO-ed you constantly and if you liked that, uhh, that's cool I guess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I do hope DS3 dials back on the instant kill attacks/combos.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I trust that the single player experience will be great, but what I really hope they can hail is making the PVP accessible and interesting. DS2 had my favorite PVP in the series but locked it away behind a grind (for orbs or souls), and in Bloodborne it's very hard to invade organically - most fights happen in pre arranged dueling locations and the covenant's are anemic and do nothing to introduce PVP to new players.

If DS3 can combine the best of what came before it and really get PVP right I'll probably play it til 2020.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

im hyped for this

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Need to follow Fallout's lead and give us a fully voiced main character

voiced by rie kugimiya

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dark Souls 3 needs to be a prequel where you play as Sif and you can roll on the ground and do doggie tricks for gestures.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is this going to have all the gameplay improvements from Bloodborne, specifically the new dodge/faster paced combat? It better have that, plus some new innovations magic and shields, otherwise it's just gonna be a holdover till we get the real sequel we want-- Bloodborne 2.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Dark Souls 1 is one of the best games I've ever played. :colbert:
DS2 was also one of the best games I've ever played. colbert:

Seriously though, the whole DS2 has less true highs but also a lot less lows is pretty true.
Pumped for nr3

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd agree. But it also had significant improvements in other areas and I seriously doubt these differences can adequately be explained with a single person.

Well, yes and no. The biggest difference between Dark Souls II and the Miyazaki-directed games, to me, is the attention to worldbuilding--or, rather, the results of that attention to worldbuilding. Maybe it's because most of the team was different in Dark Souls II (I'm not going to call them the "B Team" because it's not like they did a bad job or are underqualified or anything), I don't know, but when Miyazaki didn't direct, the areas and overall world suffered. I don't think it's dumb to attribute that, at least in part, to his direction, because that seems to be specifically a priority for him, especially given the wonderful attention to detail in Bloodborne's areas. It's a stark enough difference that I can't imagine Miyazaki's direction isn't a large part of it.

Megasabin posted:

Is this going to have all the gameplay improvements from Bloodborne, specifically the new dodge/faster paced combat? It better have that, plus some new innovations magic and shields, otherwise it's just gonna be a holdover till we get the real sequel we want-- Bloodborne 2.

I hope it does, though I can see the points of people who say that the Souls games have been defined by their slower, more methodical combat. Personally, I'd love to see Dark Souls III have the faster combat from Bloodborne with equivalent improvements to shields/heavy armor and spellcasting. At the very least, I hope the sidestep remains. Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 both moved from "roll all the time" to "sidestep most of the time, roll some of the time," and I think that's been a good move. (If nothing else, sidestepping looks a lot cooler.)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dear Lord Gywn I am so erect.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

I dont agree at all

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I can't believe people are talking about a return of shields like it's a good thing. Y'all got BTFO by that item description in Bloodborne.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Side stepping and parrying erryday

Roll should be for "OH gently caress" moments, like a giant throwing a boulder at you or other big AoE stuff

I don't really see them getting rid of shields, they really should try to make them more interesting though

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 15, 2015

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

"shields are for pussys" - miyazaki

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

Well, yes and no. The biggest difference between Dark Souls II and the Miyazaki-directed games, to me, is the attention to worldbuilding--or, rather, the results of that attention to worldbuilding. Maybe it's because most of the team was different in Dark Souls II (I'm not going to call them the "B Team" because it's not like they did a bad job or are underqualified or anything), I don't know, but when Miyazaki didn't direct, the areas and overall world suffered. I don't think it's dumb to attribute that, at least in part, to his direction, because that seems to be specifically a priority for him, especially given the wonderful attention to detail in Bloodborne's areas. It's a stark enough difference that I can't imagine Miyazaki's direction isn't a large part of it.

I'd agree, the singular vision/madness of a guy like that is felt when it is taken away, especially when you hear the stories of how DS2 changed directors midstream. At the same time, I think there are so many quality of life improvements, menuing is a good example of this, PvP is another, that Miyazaki obviously ain't hearing about learning from, that I worry about overall game play suffering. Either way, will still be better than 90% of games out there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I would love DS1 ported to the DS2 engine it's really hard going back and playing it (especially on PC).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If the first game was the end of an era, and the second game was about revealing the eras as part of a cycle, I could easily see this as the cataclysmic end of the cycle itself

This is what I was hoping for when the leak happened, and I'm glad to see this is what it is looking like to be, especially with the "only embers remains" line from the trailer. I really hope that as the game progresses, we'll see the world go from the dying age of fire to the new age of dark (like levels will slowly become more hosed up until everything is just a Darkseed-esque Giger hellhole).

Turncoat Mommy posted:

bring back the catbros

also this

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510
i came

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Thumbs up, bro

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Scrree posted:

I trust that the single player experience will be great, but what I really hope they can hail is making the PVP accessible and interesting. DS2 had my favorite PVP in the series but locked it away behind a grind (for orbs or souls), and in Bloodborne it's very hard to invade organically - most fights happen in pre arranged dueling locations and the covenant's are anemic and do nothing to introduce PVP to new players.

If DS3 can combine the best of what came before it and really get PVP right I'll probably play it til 2020.

Fixing the PVP is the easiest problem to solve. Use DS2 as a baseline, get rid of soul memory, give blue bros more consistent ways to counter-invade, done.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Vanderdeath posted:

Same, and it's something I really missed even in DS1. No other level/area in either game has evoked the kind of bizarre dread of World 3 and World 5 of Demon Souls. The constant moaning and screaming and the man-centipedes from World 3 and the OH HOLY gently caress-ness from malformed undead leaping at you in World 5 haven't even gotten close to replicated IMO. Dark Souls had Blight Town which was in theory an updated take on World 5, but the shitball FPS just rendered the whole thing more frustrating than weird or scary, and the Pit under Manjula in Dark Souls 2 just didn't hit the same note for me. Yeah, it was really dark, but you were accosted by the same undead / farty undead that you find in every other zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

"shields are for pussys" - miyazaki

• Locked thread