Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
So the final boss will be giant Gwyn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

More like a Bonefire Wheel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm the opposite like if I had to rank them it'd go Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2. I love all of them the world design and atmosphere in DeS and Bloodborne is too good.

I actually like world tendency a lot in theory. I wish they gave it another shot in one of the later games instead of just scrapping it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vermain posted:

That's not really "farming," though; that's progressing through the game normally, sort of like with Mega Man where enemies would drop healing items/weapon energy. I haven't played Bloodborne, so I can't comment on how farm-heavy it is or isn't (although I've heard more than a few farming complaints with regards to Blood Vials from others). My statement's more a general one.

All of Bloodborne is like that, I SUCK at video games that aren't 2D fighters from like 1995 and I never had to farm in Bloodborne. On top of that there were very few moments where from playing normally I wasn't fully topped off on vials and bullets.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

On the subject of pre-patch Souls. I'm a bit nostalgic for how in Demon's Souls you could get JUST close enough to launch poison cloud at a boss but still be far enough away that they wouldn't wake up and fight you.

The "best" is pre-patch Dark Souls 1 though. Curse stacks like four times and REALLY undead enemies like the skeletons, ghosts in New Londo Ruins, etc. didn't even drop souls.

On the upside, there was using the dragon head glitch to spit and endless line of dung heaps or daggers like you had a machinegun from Metal Slug.

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah it sucks it was fun how low level invading, I could swipe at newbies hiding behind shields then the bleed would proc, and they'd panic and run for heals and die to a mob or by a back stab.

I miss you True bandit knife.

It was also awesome because the easy bleeding let you drop the wandering/firesage demon type bosses in like ten seconds flat. No matter how weak you might be otherwise.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 9, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah I was going to say, that's not a physics issue but an animation one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Speaking of pre-patch fuckery, did they ever fix how at the end of Sen's Fortress instead of fighting the Iron Golem you could just run to where the "ring" would appear after beating him, hit X to interact with it and go straight to Anor Londo?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

At first I thought it was a dragon, then when it flopped out I thought it had tentacles, so I think when it stands up it will look like a goopy ink SeathXEbrietas.

Sounds like it will fight like Gaping Dragon 2.0.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Not directly related to the games but pretty cool to know. Makes me want a present day/future Souls game even more.

http://369news.net/12000-year-old-massive-underground-tunnels-are-real-and-stretch-from-scotland-to-turkey/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

he had nothing to do with kings field

I think this is an easy mistake to make as King's Field of course influenced his own work, but also because the concepts of King's Field were broken up into a bunch of different From Software games in the early 2000s.

Shadow Tower - In a towering nexus to warp to different realms, no classes or traditional leveling up, you upgrade items with demon's souls. No in-game music outside of special moments.

Otogi - Teleport into discrete levels all over the kingdom like in Demon's Souls, weapon weight has a subtle effect on jumping/etc. Consistently foreboding and dangerous atmosphere compared to previous From games.

Eternal Ring - RINGS!!!!! You could say From Software really "clings" to having lots of rings now! Heal up by eating different types of grass.

KF: The Ancient City - Weapons/etc. can be upgraded with stone shards by a blacksmith which would become a huge part of Demon's/Dark Souls. Setting starts out like typical fantasy but areas and enemies gradually becomes more Lovecraftian as the game goes on.

Miyazaki began working for From Software in 2004 (on Armored Core games), but it's easy to see how King's Field would heavily interest him and how all of the coolest ideas and themes they had from their early 2000s games were then coalesced together into the ultimate game, Demon's Souls and its wonderful follow ups. Because of the way the plot is delivered even in those older games it's easy to see Miyazaki's "voice" in them because of his own upbringing and storytelling style because they're so similar.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Under the vegetable posted:

If game journalists had the influence they wished they had, the next souls game would have no combat and involve walking around your dead father's basement picking up items and reminiscing about how he was abusive but still dead so its bittersweet, and its over in an hour and a half and costs 25 dollars.

So It Goes posted:

You are why people hate the fanbase of Souls games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

ITT people forget that something awful is a comedy forum first and everything else second

With posts as funny as these it's hard to remember.

• Locked thread