Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm glad shields will be returning and that they (probably) won't be trying to fit BB's faster-paced combat in altogether. Though it'd be cool if for dual-wield or powerstanced builds there was some of that, if you wanted it.

Hopefully they don't gently caress up the magic balance this time. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alabaster White posted:

I heard there's a new 'swordfighting arts' thing that will work similarly to magic/hunter tools. Presumably they're like magic for physical only characters? I imagine Bloodborne had a lot to do with this design decision :v:

That'd be pretty cool, maybe tie it to agility or adaptability or something, give it a use besides more iframes. Make one of them a single shot gun or something!

Though I have to admit, DS2, then Scholar, then BB, now DS3. I'm down to keep playing these games forever but I hope the quality doesn't start to degrade.

e: Oh well there you go

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If the first game was the end of an era, and the second game was about revealing the eras as part of a cycle, I could easily see this as the cataclysmic end of the cycle itself

That makes a lot of sense and what I was just thinking. If there are multiple endings again maybe either the world is unmade or you make a new way? Vendrick was trying to break the curse and it was about the power of monarchs, and it looks like we're wearing a crown to start with here.

quote:

That was from that The Know leak, so I'm skeptical, but I would love that to be the case. Being able to select shield turtling or fast sidestepping BB combat would let me throw shields in the garbage from the word go and never look back while letting people who like that style still play that way.

That would make invasions really awesome too. Either try and hide behind a greatshield for an opening or try and jump around it to attack. I personally didn't like the fast pace combat much at all but it'd be a shame to remove it entirely.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Dark Souls 2 was consistently good but not amazing, while Dark Souls 1 had amazing moments with some really goddamn lovely, awful moments thrown in too. Both have their merits and the whole A Team vs B Team stuff is silly.

It's kind of hard to go back to DS1, 2 has a lot of quality of life changes that add up. I need to play my pc version of it sometime, get around to doing that zweihander build.

quote:

It was good before then, and the DLC frankly ranged from "decent" to "awful" (trending towards the latter for Iron King/Ivory King).

The Burnt Ivory King was like the best thing in DS2 though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the way since I never actually got around to it, I think I'm going to go through DS1 again on my pc version I bought because Blighttown is intolerable anymore. DSFix and whatever the multiplayer mod thing that works with it was called have been updated to work with the new steamworks version right?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think I speak for everyone when I say hopefully they learned from previous games' mistakes and have easier combat, a more explicit narrative, and linear level design

We better get some qtes in here finally.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I do hope DS3 dials back on the instant kill attacks/combos.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope at some point we take an elevator from Ruined Anor Londo that goes up to Even More Lost Izalith.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So with DSfix, I have the game set to my desktop resolution. Has DS1 always had letterboxing or did I mess something up?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

EC posted:

Every single game has had an item that you could use to go back to your world with no penalty.

And there's always the sweet sweet release of death.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Groovelord Neato posted:

The First Hunter is one of the all time greats.

He's the penultimate boss. :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I am perfectly fine with making backstabs useful again, the return of the mighty boot, and completely ignoring BB's multiplayer mechanics for summon signs again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

nekoxid posted:

Now I'm curious. How did the multiplayer worked in BB (I never played BB and I don't have a PS4)?

Ring a bell, wander around. If someone rang another bell, and they are in your vicinity, they get summoned in. The host has to pay a resource called insight you don't get back if no one shows up or it fucks up somehow (you get insight by beating bosses or helping a host beat a boss, or using an item). Invaders show up by having a npc summoned into the host bell-ringer's world. If it dies, no invasions. If it doesn't and it rings its bell long enough you get in. The invader may themselves get invaded instead waiting if they didn't clear the area yet, or probably just ganked by all the phantoms and the host the moment they show up unless they're hiding in a relatively dangerous area. Basically it encourages single player play much more over co-op, and invasions just kind of suck.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 17, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Anyone saying DS2 played better than DS1 must be blind or stupid considering the hitboxes were wildly inconsistent and enemy models literally rotated on the spot like a mannequin on a turntable to hit you.

Bloodborne does the same (though maybe better animated :v:), but the mechanics in both make them easier to play besides that. DS2 is much more playable than DS1, mechanically.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

On the contrary: it's a huge pain in the rear end to get hit by an attack that clearly didn't come close to connecting with your character model, especially in a challenging game like a Souls game where avoiding damage is one of the most important things you can do. The spinning-like-a-record enemies and poor(er) hitboxes in Dark Souls 2 were one of the game's legitimate flaws. To be fair, these issues have existed in other games in the series as well (even Bloodborne), but they're most pronounced in Dark Souls 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A--3L91ejw

Still not as bad as DS2's ogres though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

I actually thought Bloodborne had a good number of stats. I saw a lot of complaining when they were first revealed that there were too few, but it actually had the same number of relevant stats that Dark Souls 1 had. Remove Attunement (not that relevant because Bloodborne lacked traditional magic and it also usually had a relatively small investment in Dark Souls) and Resistance (an actual useless stat) and you end up with a very similar spread: Vitality, Endurance, Strength, Dexterity/Skill, and then replace Intelligence and Faith with Bloodtinge and Arcane.

I'd assume that Dark Souls 3 would add Attunement, or some equivalent, back into the mix, maybe in its Dark Souls 2 form (where it influenced casting speed as well as spell slots), but I don't think anything else is really necessary. I especially hope we won't see an equivalent to Adaptation, which I maintain was an awful idea from the ground up.

I still wonder how no one noticed that Resistance is completely worthless.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The whole point of the Souls games for me is the multiplayer, dumb messages, funny bloodstain deaths, dickwraiths and retarded gimmicks and all. Nothing else is quite like it. Bloodborne screwed with it in a negative way that I'm glad they aren't doing again for DS3.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 18, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alabaster White posted:

You could parry gestures and your phantoms' attacks once upon a time :pseudo:

Holy poo poo I never knew that!

e: Since we were talking about it the black knight with the UGS in the tower at Undead Parish just murdered me a dozen times by instantly turning around and thrusting in the opposite direction the sword was facing and by tracking along the ground perfectly, so some of that poo poo was definitely in since DS1. It's the only time I've died unintentionally in this run so far and I got salty about it.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 18, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless poster posted:

i enjoy pvp because i fantasize that some day i will be able to put together a compilation video that is even slightly close to as awesome as trusty patches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRswclEJ_Gk

I hope they bring indictments back. I don't care if they do anything or not, I just think being told that you were indicted was funny.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless poster posted:

i understand the need to give players some degree of control over the amount of pvp they have to contend with, but i think it'd be boss if pvp was just a on/off switch based on human/undead form, and if you were human you were free game for invasions regardless of world state or boss progress or whatever. also heavily penalize undead form or heavily reward human form so that people really feel like they need to be in human form at all times.

basically i want to infinitely troll everyone who isn't me

edit: the pvp game is like its own game that i enjoy 10000x more than whatever story progress the developers came up with. having pvp largely relegated to the bridge outside OIK or the BOB arena or Bell Bros made me so sad in DS2. it took all the charm and creativity out of jumping a dude who probably doesn't want to deal with you in the first place

I liked how the rat covenant did it where you got summoned into the ratbro's world so all the mark lost was some time and maybe all of the durability on their gear. Also being the Mirror Squire was a load of fun, even if it almost never worked.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless poster posted:

i think grave of saints and doors of pharros were neat ideas but poorly implemented, as they were optional areas that no one had any reason to visit after their first run thru the game; not even any of the boss soul loot was worth the time and effort. what i think they could do to expand on that idea is to have a covenant that's the trapper/trickster team but instead of being limited to two zones, there's potential traps in every zone that they can pay some kind of resource to activate, and then whatever traps they have activated in their world get introduced to the world of the invaded

That would pair really well with a retooled Gravelord covenant.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Destiny's pretty fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

THE PENETRATOR posted:

epic fail. go back to playing with yrou balls and dick wathcing some human being lets play pigeon dating sim

I'll do one of those things, anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm digging the idea of going back and revisiting DS1, and playing as an undead undead. Maybe you can import your guy and everyone can be Havel again. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Octo1 posted:

I hope they cut down on the number of Soul Arrow variations.

I hope they've finally figured out how to make them useful without being too strong in pvp or worthless in pve.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tallgeese posted:

That's not really possible.

I know, but a man can dream. Though I still think they could just have things have a second set of damage values for players.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alabaster White posted:

Bloodborne was basically designed from the start as a testing ground for weird alternative ideas. Now that they've done that, they can harvest the best ideas for DS3 and leave the weird poo poo behind.

I hope Trusty Patches remains a spider with a dude's head.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Katanas are overrated.

In DS1 I agree. They're hilariously good in DS2 though. Grabbing that free blacksteel katana from the Majula chest on a new character then lucking out at the Iron Keep made for the easiest pvp I've ever had in Souls.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

turtlecrunch posted:

LOC gets up, drops useless cleaver, starts casting pursuers and dark bead while ninja-flipping towards you.

Shrek, Lord of Cinder

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

What makes SotFS so great imo, is that it doesn't make changes just to make things harder. Overall I'd say it's a bit more difficult, but there are plenty of rooms/encounters that they made easier, or ones where they made a more neutral change.

Yeah, the room where you find the Heide Knight in Forest of Fallen Giants is a lot easier now. All the hollows don't trigger at once anymore.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got some chuckles out of opening a chest only for the reward to be the Pursuer shoving his ultra greatsword into my chest again, or the dog outside Belfry Luna being replaced by the Pursuer blowing himself up on the explosive barrels between himself and me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Control Volume posted:

*delicately prances about a ruined civilization* dark souls 1 definitely has the better animations

Well, what is it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They're also fun, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

EC posted:

Wow people stopped arguing in a Souls pre-release thread, I'm amazed.

News!

Edge Magazine:

https://twitter.com/edgeonline/status/616206049796837376

Should come out today, and I'm sure scans will be on the internet in -15 minutes.

The Red Knight's seen better days.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Yossarian posted:

Tallgeese posted:

Excuse me while I go through the my requisite taunt poses before I spam HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO VERY GOOD HELLO HELLO
:bigtran:

THANK YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Am I the only one who moved jumping back to the sprint button?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Insurrectionist posted:

Out of interest, is there any way to know when you're entering the DLC areas (besides looking up which they are)? DS1 was pretty ridiculous and I dunno if I'd even found it without the help of the internet, I assume it's not quite as obscure in SotFS.

There will be a statue of serpents surrounded by graves for all three of them. If you put your summon sign down in that room you can get summoned into the optional areas too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Insurrectionist posted:

Alright thanks, sounds pretty obvious then.

Yep. Keep in mind in SotFS you'll need to find keys to open the door to go past that room for all of the dlc areas too. They're somewhere in the base game areas.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

There's not a single outright bad level in any of the Souls games.

Crystal Caves

quote:

If you played a caster you a bitch.

Even before the nerf it's practically challenge mode compared to Zweihander in DS1 or Hanzo Steel in DS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

The path isn't hard to find if you just look for snowflakes or bring stones.

The collision detection is the unfun part. The clams are easy as poo poo to kill and the dev messages make identifying the paths easy.

quote:

Surprised if you were going to pick a "worst level" you didn't go for Demon Ruins or Lost Izalith. The last bit is pretty cool but all that stuff in the lava is pretty garbage.

Bloombutt Lake is ok if only because you can ignore all of it.

• Locked thread