Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I want that sword and shield that hollow is carrying :swoon:

Also, it wouldn't be a Souls game without a firebreathing dragon at the end of a bridge, would it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm glad shields will be returning and that they (probably) won't be trying to fit BB's faster-paced combat in altogether. Though it'd be cool if for dual-wield or powerstanced builds there was some of that, if you wanted it.

Hopefully they don't gently caress up the magic balance this time. :v:

I heard there's a new 'swordfighting arts' thing that will work similarly to magic/hunter tools. Presumably they're like magic for physical only characters? I imagine Bloodborne had a lot to do with this design decision :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

I look forward to once again turtleshielding

As long as the shoulder bash from 2 stays in, it'll work out fine. If anything I thought shields were underpowered in 2.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Lords aren't big humans. They don't have bits of the dark soul powering them. They're something else all together.

Yeah, Lords are primordial humans that absorbed fire-based Lord Souls instead of humanity and became the literal giants from DS1, which are seperate from the race called Giants from DS2.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Skilleddk posted:

wtf is wrong with people, DS2 is a perfectly good sequel. It stays consistently good unlike the 2nd half of DS2

and the DLC for DS2 is much better for DS1, even though it was hard to top

The game played pretty well, but the world lacked that charm of the other games. The enemies were bland, the NPCs were forgettable, there was impossible geometry and no world connections, with a severe amount of bonfires to make up for that. I also found the animations to be very floaty and weightless compared to the other 3 games, and PVP was BEYOND hosed. The DLC was absolutely fantastic, but gave a glimpse into what DS2 should have been, with tightly designed areas with lots of variety.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I still wonder how no one noticed that Resistance is completely worthless.

Actually, I think they kinda did even back then. The wiki states "unlike every other stat, Resistance isn't factored into initial Soul Level for starting classes", so maybe they realized or added the stat in at the very end and didn't have a chance to tweak it very much.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Why would you remove the cool animations, that's the best part.

If they made them do much less damage they'd be okay, still would be too easy to do.

In DS1 the instant backstabs were actually an important balancing factor in PVP, because the ever-present threat and benefit of backstabs made it an effective punishment against Estus, turtling, running, etc. I do agree the damage potential was absolutely insane and they probably should stop putting crit-boost gear in the games, but learning to play around and abuse backstabs was a core part of DS1 PVP. Bloodborne had heal parrying, which made up for the lack of traditional backstabs and kept fights tense, but DS2 had delayed backstabs and backstab immunity gear, which turned PVP into an absolute slog unless you had gobs of burst damage or poison, especially with Lifegems everywhere.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Speaking of heal parrying, it'd be funny if you could parry someone drinking estus with the shield

it'd look like you're knocking the drink out of their hand

You could parry gestures and your phantoms' attacks once upon a time :pseudo:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Holy poo poo I never knew that!

In Bloodborne, spectres of other players can break environmental objects and affect/be affected by cloth physics, too :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Alexander DeLarge posted:

No SM
Seems like dual weapon system is similar to trick weapons
Shortbows resemble guns, I wouldn't be surprised if they're used to parry as well
Power stance/beast mode improved
World building similar to Bloodborne/Dark Souls where everything connects
Art style similar to Bloodborne

I could have sworn I read something about a mechanic similar to world tendency somewhere.

http://fextralife.com/dark-souls-3-e3-info/

There was the "Heat Up" system that apparently makes enemies or bosses tougher. Maybe it's like a mix of Tendency and Humanity where the better you play, the harder the game becomes?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Megasabin posted:

The fact that Miyazaki wasn't involved for the first year and a half is not good.

Well, they're already answered a few questions regarding the integrity of the game, and it seems fine so far. Soul level matchmaking!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Miyazaki is overrated. Some things in Bloodborne was a regression and he did directly helm that game from the beginning.

Bloodborne was basically designed from the start as a testing ground for weird alternative ideas. Now that they've done that, they can harvest the best ideas for DS3 and leave the weird poo poo behind.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope Trusty Patches remains a spider with a dude's head.

He'll be a literal hyena this time and the game's requisite superboss :v:

Genocyber posted:

miyazaki can do no wrong

They're already confirmed SL matchmaking so I can stomach whatever weird poo poo they decide to do.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, Vaati himself speculates its about all the Lords who have rekindled the fire in past cycles being resurrected. I just was pondering why he's the only one saying that, while other outlets use a singular Lord of Cinder, which would more likely be Gwyn.

It could have just been misspoke; Lord of Cinders is easy to accidentally say as Lords of Cinder.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

o.m. 94 posted:

Demon's Souls - Spring
Dark Souls - Summer
Dark Souls 2 - Autumn
Dark Souls 3 - Winter?????

They said "early" 2016 so possibly January/February but probably March or April like the others.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ekster posted:

It's explicitly 薪の王たち (Takigi no Ou-tachi, Lords of Cinder) in the Japanese interview, but it's in the singular 薪の王 (Takigi no Ou, Lord of Cinder) form when talking about the Dark Souls 1 protagonist. The one giant you see in the trailer is the Ds1 protagonist. The other Lords are previous kings from earlier cycles, is what the interview says.

That's actually a really interesting plot point, since that giant looks almost exactly like the Giant Lord. Are the Giants some kind of evolved state of humanity? Or just specifically the DS1 hero because they had to create a character that was visually distinct? DS3's plot sounds like it's going to be very interesting.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

I just started Dark Souls 2 SotFS and, while the game is a lot of fun, it's hard going back to how much slower this game is compared to Bloodborne. I'm a little worried about how From has said that Dark Souls 3 will be returning to how the first Dark Souls handled because of how much slower that was. Seems like it might be hard to go back to such a methodical paced game. I can understand trying to get Dark Souls back to its roots and differentiate it from Bloodborne by making the pace of the game slower, but I dunno if it's a good idea.

Ehh, I thought Bloodborne was honestly a little TOO fast. It was a refreshing change of pace but I don't want another "Dark Wood Grain Ring: The Game", to be honest. Besides, slowing it down makes more room for variety within weapon classes. It does seem like they're integrating a lot of Bloodborne's advancements, though, in the form of Sword Arts and splitting weapons (Legion Scimitars, anyone?) so there might still be a niche for fast movement and quick combos.

e: when everyone is fast... no one is...

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 21, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I need more Souls. SOTFS didn't scratch the itch :(
Any news on when the DS1 patch or Bloodborne DLC is coming out?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dark Souls 2 was piss easy because enemies had critically low health scores even on Champion difficulty, it was trivial to get a +10 weapon in the first 2 hours of the game (even moreso now that gray phantoms drop chunks), and poise barely existed. Unless you were fighting with a dagger or something you could stunlock everything with no effort, and hitstun is like 2 seconds long. Whoever said "it's easy because you've played a Souls game before", no. I just went back to DS1 and I'm having more trouble on my 100th playthrough than my first playthrough of DS2 on Champion difficulty.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Grey phantoms always dropped chunks. The Bell Covenant was basically easy street to buffing up normal weapons, in Scholar they're easy street to everything because you get slabs and bones and stuff now too.

Really? I could have sworn that invading gray phantoms didn't do anything drop-wise if you were the host. Either way, yeah, you get loads of upgrade materials really early on from the Belfries. Even apart from that, I noticed a lot more chunks around the game world in SOTFS. Even if you can't get a +10 weapon early for various reasons, a +6-7 weapon will still carry you through the entire first half of the game with little difficulty.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait do you mean in Scholar if you're invaded in the belfries and win you get chunks too? Wow.

Yup. I didn't even join the Bell Keepers and I ended up with a +10 weapon just going through the area casually and being invaded by them. Standard red invaders drop human effigies now, too.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Genocyber posted:

You can stunlock enemies just as easy in Dark Souls, and the HP values are pretty similar between the two games. If anything Dks2 is harder since the enemies actually do damage unlike most of the enemies in Dks.

You can, but hitstun is much shorter, and a lot of enemies will try to dodge out of combos. I've been surprised by Balder Knights and plant people jumping out of my attacks. Also, while HP values are fairly similar, player damage is roughly 20% less (compare the values of weapons in-between games) and the staggered ember system means you can't crank your weapon to obscene values and steamroll everything without specifically going out of your way to do so.

Another important distinction: supplies. DS2 gives you supplies out the wazoo. DS1 pickups are mostly weapons, keys, rings, and souls, with very few 'practical' items; you have to go and stock up on things like that from merchants. In DS2, whenever I hit a vaguely annoying part, I realize I have dozens of powerful healing items, loads of throwables, defensive buffs, piles of resin, rings to make me borderline invincible to certain elements, and a way to inflict virtually every status effect and damage type through hundreds of arrows/bolts. It's one thing to prepare the player, like maybe giving them a couple lumps of moss before the poison zone, but then there's drowning them in powerful supplies at every corner. The addition of bonfires EVERYWHERE gives you too much leeway and makes deaths almost meaningless.

Finally, and this is fairly controversial: Soul Vessels. If you're really having too much trouble you can just respec your character into something perfectly suited to X task and then revert right back. This was particularly gamebreaking before they nerfed the poo poo out of magic, because you could just dump all your points into INT or FTH and spam Lightning Spears or Resonant Souls all the way through anything even remotely challenging, but even now you can still crank certain stats and trivialize certain difficult parts of the game. Respeccing is an incredibly powerful resource, and while it's really nice, it should not be something you can do freely and reliably; save it as a one-time reward each game cycle or something, if you want to salvage a certain character or try a different run.

Each particular thing the game does to ease you through it isn't particularly bad, but all together makes the overall experience so much easier. Constantly being coddled with powerful loot, loads of checkpoints, and having you basically forced to go out of your way to not become massively powerful and snap everything over your knee makes the whole game just too easy.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I find DS2 more difficult but far less creative than DS1. As you say, enemies like Balder Knights actually had a clue and dodged and parried making one on one fights more engaging whereas later encounters in DS2 relied very heavily on bumrushing you with superior numbers, areas like the Iron Keep courtyard and Drangleic Castle have enemies which are relatively easy to defeat but come at you in ridiculous numbers. The DLC was even worse in that standard enemies stats were so heavily buffed they invalidated a fair number of build options and still came at you in swarms, the hollow soldiers in Shulva for example have nearly unbreakable poise (why even bother having a poise break stat?) massive elemental resistances and enough HP to eat nearly any physical attack in the game, they don't do anything smart or unusual but the only way to realistically fight them without taking damage is just to kite them and bait parries or backstabs, which is boring as hell. I'd much rather have DS1's approach where there's more focus on varied enemy design, areas with unique challenges and horde encounters can be reasonable dealt with by AoE. You're right that bonfire placement was far sparser in DS1, but then it didn't anywhere near so many certain death scenarios at you either, though even accounting for that I concede the game could have still easily dropped some of them

I suppose it really depends on the version of DS2, too. DS2 classic is just drat easy all the way through, while SOTFS makes it more difficult but not in a constructive or interesting way, like you said. Instead of engineering the encounters to be more exciting (a couple places were better, but not enough to make up for it), they just put in like 2-5x the enemies in each area and have them rush at you. Sometimes this means absolutely nothing because they copy-paste the lamest enemies ever (Gutter, Copse, Tseldora), and sometimes it's wildly unfair and clearly not thought out very well (Iron Keep, parts of the Forest, the Wharf). DS2 feels to me like an entire game of DS1 post-Lordvessel areas; decent, but bland, or really badly engineered towards the unfair or pathetically easy sides.

There are a shitload of extraneous bonfires, plonked down for excessive convenience only as far as I can tell, and I can name the worst few: Lower Brightstone Cove, Old Akelarre (why the gently caress does this bonfire exist), Soldier's Rest, Bridge Approach, Upper Earthen Peak (Central too, to an extent), and Forgotten Chamber.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Drakes posted:

Well I'd say focus testing can die in a fire :v:.

Have you ever listened to the commentary in a Valve game? Every time it boils down to "our playtesters are stupid fucks and we had to remove/oversimplify this area because they couldn't understand what to do". I love how Souls games fly in the face of the 'water it down, make it accessable' trend of game design that plagues the industry lately, and it warms my heart. I think the fact that the Anor Londo archers made it into the final product speaks volumes about the design process, especially when they flat-out admitted there was no intended solution and they just put them there for a cruel joke.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

The irony of this entire anti-playtesting circlejerk is that the Souls games, like literally every other non-indie game in existence, are heavily playtested. It's just that when it works like it does 99% of the time you never hear about it or notice it, people only ever hear about playtesting when its a developer trying to shift the blame away from themselves when something goes wrong.

God no, playtesting is the most critically important thing ever. FOCUStesting is wildly different and usually a bad thing, especially if you read a lot about corporate culture.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Sen's Fortress is a great level because it's a perfect example of the economy of space which Dark Souls 1 really employed to enhance its level design. It's basically a great big box with four floors or so, and a basic "route" that leads to the top (and thus the exit). Within that box are a wide assortment of enemies and traps, all of whom complement each other. You can turn the traps on the enemies, but the enemies are positioned to try and drive you into the traps. It challenges all of the skills you had accumulated so far, and adds a fair few new ones as well.

It's also a level STEEPED with hidden poo poo. Lots of hidden treasures, secret events, a couple NPCs, and it unlocks most everybody's favorite area in the game. Sen's Fortress isn't some sort of holy grail or whatever level, but if you, as any rational person does, ignore the Internet's hyperbole in this regard, the fact remains that Sens just does what Souls does well--it's brutally challenging, yet endlessly rewarding, and there's multiple avenues you can take to approach and best it. It's just a solid level, but it's so solid AND so exemplary of what the Souls games do best that it stands out even in the face of sequels.

I completely agree. It's my favorite level in the series and as someone once said, it is a perfect microcosm of the game's design. The whole "one bonfire that you'll probably miss" part just accentuates the whole area and ratchets up the tension and threat, while also forcing you to learn and making the eventual payoff worth that much more.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Oracle games were the best :colbert:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Actually Arcane is by far the worst option you could pick in Bloodborne. Seriously, it is. The tools suck (except the gloves), the weapons suck (except the Tonitrus and Holy Blade which work better non-Arcane), and even if you do manage to farm up some great gems in Chalices, good elemental radial gems are essentially non-existant, and at the end of the day you'll just end up matching physical damage but end up with worse viscerals cause you're missing Skill and physical gems. If you're going to dump all your levels into one stat, make it 50 Bloodtinge instead.

I think we'll get a basic Vitality, Endurance, Attunement, Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Faith setup for DS3. Maybe some bizarre new stat tied into some kind of new system, or maybe they'll roll all the weird "defense, resistances, and item find" stats into one and bring back Luck again. I'd like to see a working Resistance, though. Maybe they can tie the usage of heavy armor to that instead of Strength?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

I wouldn't mind Luck, but only if they brought back the Blueblood Sword

That's the real reason I'm hoping for it :ssh:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I can't wait to hang out with my buddy Patches again :3:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

They already confirmed that they are not bringing this mechanic back. Take a readthrough of the E3 impressions in the OP for all the confirmed mechanics so far.

I like how Miyazaki was actually out of the loop on a couple things about DS2. Didn't he say he had no clue what Soul Memory was?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

megalodong posted:

I hope they provide a good implementation of the gravelord covenant. It always struck me as the coolest idea but always fell flat.

The main problem was locking it to NG+. It worked just fine but most people would never see it, and it gave the impression of a broken covenant so nobody tried it anymore.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dvrk.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

I really don't see where they could go with the story and have it be congruous with the first two games at all, but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.

Apparently poo poo is getting so bad that they're having to resurrect previous Lords of Cinder to keep the flame going, and your player character is just sick of it all and trying to snuff the First Flame out entirely. I wish I could remember where I read this or if it's even correct.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 4, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

This looks so Demon's Souls it hurts. Is that Fluted Armor and Kite Shield 2.0 I see?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the narrator saying about lords? I can't make it out. Also is that guy holding a bonfire sword?

I can't make out that last word either. Dreams? Feelings? :shrug:
Also yeah, one of the major gameplay changes is that you plug your own bonfire swords into corpses to make your own bonfires, in something called the 'ritual system'. You do invasions and stuff through it too, I think.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

After seeing the trailer for dark souls 3 I really want to play dark souls 3 anyone else want to play dark souls 3???

I'm working on the time machine now.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Whats that ghost lady with the big fire-brand?

I'm 99% sure that's the first boss mentioned in a lot of prerelease stuff.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think he is Manus in the same way Solaire is the lost son of Gwyn.

Its never explicitly stated in the lore, but there is enough evidence you can piece together to basically go "oh right, that makes sense"

Solaire's whole shtick is that he LOOKED like someone really important, but wasn't at all. There's a lot of theories about who the Firstborn is (if you ignore the design docs where it was Andre) but Solaire absolutely isn't anyone important at all. Besides, he's a human, not a giant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dark Souls 2 is a good game brought down by mediocre enemy/location design and bafflingly stupid mechanical choices (Soul Memory, Agility, Poise, etc.)

• Locked thread