Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm unabashedly excited for this, my first time on the Dark Souls pre-release hype train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Micolash owns

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Frankston posted:

I am so loving psyched for dark souls 3 you guys. Like, more than fallout 4 and mgs v.

Me too but I also don't care about those other games at all

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Roctavian posted:

does fromsoft support global jihad????? makes u think...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately thought of the Kaaba

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

Nashandra's Abyssal Fun Park.

Now I want to play this game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne but also there are other games coming out that will probably run better on the console than on my not great computer. Definitely worth it.

I still dunno which one I should get DS3 for.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Pinwheel's main issue is that he (and the Catacombs in general) are meant to be done right after Capra, after Rhea and co. head down there. It's just that, with the way the game is set up, very few players are going to even realize that, let alone do it. If you head down to Pinwheel then, he takes long enough to take out that he actually can reach that threatening point.

Yeah I managed to entirely miss the staircase down to the catacombs all the way until I was searching for the Lord Souls. That and the fact that the first things you're greeted with are exploding skulls and respawning skeletons means that a lot of players skip it until so late in the game that they can kill Pinwheel almost instantly.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm gonna miss injuring boss body parts if that doesn't carry over into DS3.

Also the blood.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pate has exactly zero of Patches' roguish charm

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm probably going to use Dexterity and Pyromancy again

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I can't think of many games that I haven't seen someone compare to dark souls

Compare Dark Souls to Fire Emblem

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

y'know it's funny because this is actually the first game that came to mind when I considered games you couldn't really compare to dark souls, but ok here we go:

they both have monsters (fe8 and gaiden in particular), a medieval setting, player death is very important, in awakening there is a post apocalyptic setting where everything is hosed, equipment degrades with use, there are blacksmiths and merchants you can buy new weapons/spells from, you traverse similar settings (forests, caves, castles, etc), there was technically a pvp thing in fe7, uuuuuuuh

Well done

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Both have lovely fan groups?

Nonsense Dark Souls fans are fine upstanding people

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've yet to play a From game on release anyway so having to wait two weeks for this one after Japan gets it is nothing.

It'll be cool to be in on the ground floor for once though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Gonna be a big pedantic nerdbutt and point out that if frequency analysis worked then it's not a language, it's just a cipher of sorts (never played the game, just saying)

It's the "language" of the cube race in the game. Yes in reality it's a cypher with a made up alphabet that corresponds to English but referring to it as a language isn't implying anything beyond that.

I started watching Kay's videos a few months ago and I've gotten really addicted to them. After finishing the Dark Souls videos I've gone through the whole rest of her channel and there's a lot of really great stuff (I particularly liked her playthrough of Antichamber which I lost patience with when trying to play myself).

I've actually saved the Demon's Souls one for last since I've never played it and was vaguely hoping they'd announce a remake before I got to it. But that didn't happen so I've finally started and it's cool to see how the series began. I think I'd have fun with it even though it definitely seems to have a bunch of weird decisions and clunky bits.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

frytechnician posted:

Wait, what? Don't get my hopes up, I really want this to be true.

It's true.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

I can't wait for a whole new generation of PC players to be dismayed when they accidentally gay marry the innkeeper.

Dismayed???

I don't understand this talk of accidental marriage but I'm excited to discover it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There are at least two Dark Souls 1 threads of varying states of activity

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Dark Souls 1 PC thread will always have a special place in my heart

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Orv posted:

I actually though about chopping up your posts into the OP because your sense of wonder as you played for the first time was hilarious.

Man that was so much fun.

Now here we are two years later and I'm finally going to play my first souls game right at release when no one knows anything.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Merauder posted:

When first going through there I encountered several player messages like "try torch" so I never encountered anything otherwise. What exactly is the issue if you don't burn it?

If you don't burn the windmill the entire boss arena (and surrounding area) is filled with a poison pool. This not only poisons you constantly, but also continually heals her, turning it into a huge pain.

It would've been a neat puzzle if they built some kind of realistic internal machinery that was obviously pumping poison in and you could reasonably work out that it was being powered by the windmill.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Deified Data posted:

The sunlight shield is literally a piece of fan art on a shield. It doesn't look like it belongs in the setting.

Solaire worked very hard on that, be nice

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

I thought those things outside Cainhurst Castle were the tick women.

They're fleas

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They did it with the Old Monk

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

How has so much of the game been leaked already? What the hell did I miss in the last few weeks?

It's not leaked - everything is from the big youtuber/journalist/streamer event things where they let them record footage of the first few hours of the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

It's quite impressive how much Vaati manged to get out of the preview compared to everyone else; so many new mechanics, potential lore implications, and weapons I haven't seen in most other footage.

Yeah, and yet for me personally I still feel like having just watched his videos that what I saw wasn't all that spoilery. It's not like I have any idea of the makeup of the levels or anything. It just provided a brief glimpse into the game and now I'm all the more excited for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GodspeedSphere posted:

So I've somehow remained completely ignorant of this entire game until about a week ago. For someone that LOVES spoilers, where do I go? Vaati?

Yeah. He's got three videos of what he played through and they're really good/cool.

• Locked thread