Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The press release states Miyazaki is directing, and so does pretty much every official source. Sure, it might be he's actually more hands-off and using his star power to calm the cries of the hardcore, but there's no concrete proof of that right now.

EDIT: I think the A/B team stuff is bullshit and am on board and interested regardless of whoever is directing. Yui Tanimura directed the DSII DLC from day 1 and they were good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Relin posted:

they said the same thing before ds2

and he didnt

Uhm, no, they didn't. One of the first things that was said for Dark Souls 2 was actually "Miyazaki isn't directing this time" and it caused quite a ruckus.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
So, I'm gonna spoil it just in case (but they're saying it during their first demos, so it'll likely be part of the story premise and all over the previews) but according to Kevin Van Ord (GameSpot dude) the giant-looking dude at the end is Dark Souls 1's Gwyn, resurrected.

Reaction on Twitter already seems apocalyptic, but I'm gonna wait to see how things unfold before I cry about the game BEING RUINED.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

EC posted:

He didn't say that at all, just that Gwyn would be resurrected. Giant Dude could be anyone. I hope it's Gwyn.

Nah, he claimed that in an earlier tweet. But he later stated that Bandai Namco only said it's the Lord of Cinder not that it's Gwyn specifically. Which is funny since people asked him is he Gwyn specifically? and he replied affirmatively just a little while ago.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

They should make his music as bombastic and over the top as possible as an extra gently caress you these people.

To be fair, I searched Dark Souls 3 again on Twitter now and I'm getting the feel I probably got an inflated feeling of how many people were complaining. Most people are just confused, and will probably forget about Van Ord's premature tweet once we get previews talking about stuff like how many swanky outfits we'll be able to wear.

EDIT:

EC posted:

That's also not quite right. They are being secretive about who the Lord of Cinder is.

This is really semantics. Saying that the only thing confirmed is that it's the Lord of Cinder and saying that its identity is a secret amounts to the same thing: we know there's a Lord of Cinder, we don't know who it is.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I initially spoilered because it looked like sensitive plot information and people tend to get pretty prickly about that, even though it'd be day 1 marketing stuff in this case. But yeah, now that it seems to have been defused there's no really sense in spoilering, I just really kept doing that out of habit.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Seems like it's just an interview with some Namco rep.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There was a lady in the trailer. You know what role ladies in trailers have in this game.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

skasion posted:

The short version is that they planned to make a bigger game than they were in fact capable of making, had a crisis of confidence like halfway into the development process

I don't think the interview mentions anything about the size of the original vision for the game, just that they had to reassess "what a Dark Souls game should be", which is vague as gently caress and could mean absolutely anything. I don't want to speculate either because people on the internet inevitably take speculation for fact, but here's the quote from Peter Barnard's translation:

quote:

Yes, this game actually went through quite a troubled development process. Due to a number of factors we were actually forced to re-think the entire game midway into development. We really had to go back to the drawing board and think once more about what a Dark Souls game should be. It was at that point that I took on my current role, overseeing the entirety of the game including the art direction. To ensure we created the game both we and the fans wanted it was completely necessary, but it did of course create a problem. We had to decide what to do with the designs and maps that had been created up to that point. Ideally we’d start again from scratch but of course we were under time constraints so instead we had to figure out how to repurpose the designs in our newly reimagined game. This meant everything from deciding new roles for characters to finding ways to slot locations into the world map. This unusual development cycle faced us with an entirely different set of problems and looking back on the project as a whole it was at times, arduous. Although I’m confident that none of this will be felt by the players and I’m completely satisfied with the final product. So while I don’t think we need to dwell on it too much, in the interest of giving a full count of the development process it’s something we can’t avoid touching on.

Speaking of which, we'll get an official translation pretty soon, given Udon is translating the Dark Souls II Design Works book and bringing it to the West.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
"Stone dragons" isn't the same term used for the Everlasting ones, right? Could be yet another type.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Yes, it is.

But don't the previews also describe the dragon as the last of many that used to protect the castle? If the game is a sequel to Dark Souls 1 & 2 that would mean that the dragons were resurrected and then died again :psyduck: Of course, I might have gotten something wrong

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Ubisoft has around 1000 employees working on every AAA game. That comparison really isn't apt.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Forum post mimic. :smuggo:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The more I see of this location, the more it reminds me of a cross between Bloodborne's Old Yharnam and Dark Souls 2's Shulva and Eleum Loyce, with a sprinkling of Boletaria on top.

...doesn't look like the original Dark Souls at all, though. Not that it's a *bad* thing, but so many people are commenting on how the level design looks like Dark Souls 1 again, and it never ceases to confuse me.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Dark Souls II tends to have faster animation but more and longer cooldowns between animations, as far as I can tell, which is why you get wildly different impressions on its speed compared to the other games.

So far, Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are the fastest Souls title, though I'm guessing Dark Souls III will be faster than DeS based on gameplay footage.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I like to imagine this was originally just a texturing error and it was later promoted to a full design. ALso, the third dude totally looks like the last giant.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

EC posted:

Patches:
- is cool

Go home EC, you're drunk.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Harrow posted:

The summoned allies and "pick up your glowing animal-shaped bloodstain" mechanics are very Souls, though.

The game also has an attribute system similar to the Souls games and loot, according to a livestream from around the time of Tokyo Game Show in September. Seems fair to see it as a Souls-style action-RPG to me, even though it's not quite a clone.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean it was practically put on the front of the box for SOTFS. "there is a new final boss" was one of the first things I heard about it.

You know there are people who don't read videogame forums.. right?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't think pointing out the Japanese quirks to Dark Souls' art style and gameplay mechanics is particularly offensive, but "too Japanese" is bad wording.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Reddit has a really poor translation of a report on the new Dark Souls III event in Japan from what I believe is a Korean website.

For the most part there doesn't seem to be anything new, but there's a minor character spoiler some of you might not want to read: Andre the Blacksmith is back, apparently.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Radio Paranoia posted:

Went looking for pre-order information. Not what I was expecting.

Not what this person was expecting either.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Alabaster White posted:

The network test ran (or at least seemed like it was desperately trying to) at 60 FPS

Not even close. It was 30fps and had more or less the same problems as Bloodborne in terms of stuttering.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
So I guess the new giants are basically a mix of Dark Souls 1 and 2 giants?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

That's a good trailer, though. Jethro Tull are great.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That Slashy Souls thing isn't developed by From.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Black Mage Knight posted:

Does anyone have the Dark Souls 2 Design Works? I want to get it and I just wanna know if it is of similar quality to the first.

It's pretty good. I'd argue the quality is even better than the first Design Works book, although a lot depends on whether you like Dark Souls 2's concept art and want to read about its inspirations.

The concept piece for the environment feel a bit lacking when compared to Dark Souls, though. You can tell that something went wrong in terms of development cycle and they didn't have time to hammer down the level design for the base game before they went deep into production.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There's a likely not completely correct and incomplete list of bosses names on Reddit. It's based on a recently released promo image for the soundtrack disc, so it would appear to be legit.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

i dont understand the creation of lords of the fallen because the guys must've been fans of dark souls but it's as if they didn't learn anything from the games. i can't remember if they got a single thing right. it's as if lords of the fallen came out years before and the souls games are the better iterations of that original template.

The system design was genuinely interesting. They made a bunch of smart choices that helped make the game more accessible for a wider audience (bankable XP, the bloodstain equivalent provides a buff when you fight next to it, e.g.), a balance between risk and reward was built in pretty much any mechanic (I thought the crafting was pretty cute in that sense, though maybe a bit too Diablo-esque/MMO-ish), and the different melee playstyle felt genuinely distinct.

Some of the physical details were also neat: the shield would still be active even on the back (so, for example, if an enemy hit you with an arrow on the shield while it was on your character's back, you would still take no damage), and rolling reduced the character hitbox so that he could pass through tight gaps.

Unfortunately the game was plagued by a myriad of problems. hosed up balance (heavy melee guys trumped everything else), boring bosses, confusing level design with poor signposting (there was a lot of interconnectivity but it felt kinda meaningless), a poor plot shoved down your throat through cutscenes, a lack of customization coupled with a main character utterly lacking in personality and charm, the extremely poor optimization, the sluggish controls, some strange trial and error mechanics that went unexplained in a game that was all about being more accessible than Dark Souls, the nonsensical difficulty curve, the lack of visual variety, some bosses had poor hitboxes and their tells weren't really transparent, some core mechanics lifted from Dark Souls were given no narrative justification here, and I could go on...

It was a bad game, basically, but I feel like there were some admirable qualities to it.

P.S. : The Dark Souls 3 references will be largely considered brilliant because Miyazaki is at the helm. Honestly, though, the complaint about "too many references" was always one of the least cogent points of criticism leveraged against Dark Souls 2. That game had real problems (some strange story threads that went nowhere, bad world design, prop placement that was very hit and miss, and a bunch of control choices that made the game "feel off" for some people, even though I at least appreciated the intend, and a large amount of content that wasn't always up to par with the rest of the series), and a whole bunch of other problems that were largely imagined or blown out of proportions by angry fans. I still think Dark Souls 2 is great and hope people stop feeling betrayed and start seeing it for the worthy game it is, though.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 3, 2016

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

HMS Boromir posted:

It weirds me out because Dark Souls 2 did this kind of neat, if awkwardly executed thing where everything was a faded echo of Dark Souls 1, and going from that to really direct references feels jarring. I think it would've felt more natural if DS2 had been the one with the direct references and then DS3 did the blurry memory of DS1 thing.

The references don't bother me, but I'd mostly agree with this, on the assumption that Dark Souls 3 follows neatly after Dark Souls 2 in a linear progression. In another interview, Miyazaki talked about the timeline and it's pretty clear that he has complicated ideas in his head, so I'm sure that some of this stuff will make more sense in the actual game.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

Basically when Miyazaki was a kid his family was poor, so the only entertainment he had was going to his local library and reading English fantasy books. His English wasn't the best, so whenever he came across a section he didnt fully understand he'd just fill in the blanks himself and make his own story that way.

But people will repeatedly tell you that there is a final right answer for everything in these games and that you just have to pay enough attention.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

turtlecrunch posted:

The Miyazaki reading books he didn't fully understand thing comes from an interview with The Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/31/bloodborne-dark-souls-creator-hidetaka-miyazaki-interview

Well, that's definitely the most recent time he said that, but it's something he's talked about for quite a while. I can't be arsed to check, but I think that's something he mentioned in the Design Works book for the original Dark souls, for example.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Oenis posted:

why do these japanese videos always have some weird sidekick-caster girl oohing, aahing and giggling?

In this particular case, she's actually the one who plays Dark Souls for most of the stream. It's easy to forget this, but 90% of the time during these streams is spent playing the original game, not demoing Dark Souls III.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Just make up your minds people. Dark Souls 2 can't be bad both because it's not closely tied to Dark Souls 1 *and* also because it has too many Dark Souls 1 references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

Why is Spotify trolling me by putting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N7J802QzP4 onto my weekly mix? Reminding me of Dark Souls when I try not to think about it is really not cool.

Doesn't help that it's a bad song.

• Locked thread