Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«6 »
  • Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!




String sheet

The bright morning sun has just finished rising above the horizon as a dry gust sends small whirls of sand scattering across the main road in of Serendipity. The only thing out of place on this picturesque Saturday morning is the eerie silence that has taken hold over the town. Well, that, and the large bloodstain that has soaked into the earth right outside the Continental Hotel.

Yes, it's a wonderful morning for a funeral.

Late last night, Sean O'Donnell was found with dead in front of the Continental Hotel, filled with gunshot wounds. Weird thing is, no one heard any gunshots. Poor 'ol James was the one who found him when he was taking out some trash late at night. Once he was found, the O'Donnells had poor Ritcher Smith working through the night to get their poor baby into the ground, so he could be good and buried before the Sabbath.

The whole town turned out for the service, though, because... well... what else is there to do? But, alas, after giving the expected condolences to the family, most of the town is just treating this as an excuse for a potluck. The gossip of the moment is who's going with whom to the hoedown that the rail line is putting on for the workers and the town. It's only two days left! Everyone who's anyone will be there.

Everyone: Do you have a suspect for who did the dastardly murder? Why?

Abigale: while you wouldn't dream of doing anything untoward with him, you can't help but notice that Michael O'Donnell is clearly distraught, and even his usual horde of admirers have the decency to give him time with his family. Well, except one person. Who's hanging on him right this second?
In addition, Doc Armstrong has seemed uncomfortable all morning, red faced and tugging at his collar all throughout the funeral service. You've heard whispering during his sermon today, and some people are wondering if he was hung over. Namely, Ms. Bella La Ruz and Mr. Zebub. What do you do?
Also, I'm assuming that Abigale is taking a very "by the book" definition of virginity. But, while she surely disapproves of such interactions, would homosexual relations cause one to lose their virginity?

Maple: Wow, a murder! What luck! Well, for you, of course. You've obviously got your own thoughts on what happened, but what's the spin that you'll put on the story when you print it?
In the meantime, Beth's been glancing at you all during the sermon. Once it's over, she makes a beeline right for you and asks you for your help to ask out the man she's been crushing on. Who does she want to go with? What do you do?

Pollyanna:, you're well accustomed to watching crowds, and you actually notice someone isn't here. Who's missing?
Anyway, while you've heard from Maple that (Mrs!!!) Abigale is interests are more than a little sapphic, why do you care about her so much?
Also, while you're able to come and go as you please, most of the spirits in the graveyard can't really leave. One of them tries to get your attention. It's an old Indian holding his head under his arm. What favor does he want you to do for him? What do you do?

James: so, as the person to find the body, you're suddenly quite popular. Especially with the law. Lately, you've been talking to the law a lot, in fact. Who was involved in the last fight that the law had to break up in the hotel?
In the mean time, Emmeline Hardison has you cornered near one of the tables set out for the potluck, and she's yakin' on and on about the "lovely" sermon that the Doc gave. It's enough to make you wish you could climb in the coffin with the O'Donnell boy. What do you do?

Serena: So, who REALLY killed the O'Donnell boy? How do you know, and why haven't you ratted them out?
Anyway, who let it slip that once the railroad is done, a big shipment of gold in the vaults is going to get shipped back east. And rumor has it that the railroad through here may be finished in as little as a week! So, you know you're on a deadline. What's the first order of business?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at Jun 19, 2015 around 14:35

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 1/5, Conditions:

"Boss, boss!" Came a harsh sounding voice out of the swimming darkness that was the blackout sleep I had let overtake me last night, and I jerked, reflexively, as I opened one eye and immediately regretted it, Garcia there, too close, shaking me awake.

"Madre de Dios, Garcia, get your hands offa me!" I slurred as I pushed him off my shoulder as I heard the empty tequila bottle drop onto the ground out of my lap and crash on the ground. My head throbbed and my mouth felt like cotton. "You think the first thing I want to see the morning after drinking is your ugly face?" I staggered out of my chair at the table in the room where I had passed out. I was...pretty sure it was the room I was staying in. gently caress. "What do you want anyway?"

"He did it boss, like he said he was going to. Even after you told him not to!" I stared blankly at him a second, then I fumbled for the flask I kept in my vest pocket and took a swig.

"Calm down Garcia, who did what? What are you talking about?"

"That cabrone Julius, he put nine slugs into O'Donnell!"

poo poo. It was coming back to me now. Last night. The banker, Julius Whithouse, at the Saloon. We had...gotten to talking. He mentioned that a shipment of gold was getting packed away on the rail once it got done (which was soon), but only after a few shots of the Worm, and that happened only because he was bemoaning Sean O'Donnell getting awful friendly with his wife. He had mentioned something about taking care of the problem, and I tried to tell him not to. I thought we had worked out a deal, me and Whithouse - he'd get me in to take a look at all that pretty lucre before it got packed away, and in exchange I'd take O'Donnell out of town with us when we left...and make sure he wouldn't be coming back.

But that pendejo couldn't keep it together for one maldito night! I kicked over the table with an angry noise, and Garcia flinched back, smart enough to think I might take it out on his hide for waking me up. "gently caress! Garcia...get Catherine and Ramirez up, we're going to track Whithouse down and have a few words with him." He scurried off, smart enough not to ask any further questions, too.

I just massaged my temples and sat on the edge of the bed, thinking about where he might've run off to, trying to massage out all the hungover bits out and think about if he might've mentioned where he'd gone.

Trying to gaze to get it out of the way (stupid Dark highlight muttermutter)

2d6-1: 6 [2d6=6, 1]

Nope. Marking Xp



quote:

Name: Serena Rosita Lupe Ortega
Skin: The Queen
Look: Domineering, brooding eyes
Origin: most dangerous person around

Stats:
Hot: +1
Cold: +1
Volatile: +0
Dark: -1

Moves:

The Clique
You’re at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around. They count as a gang. Choose one of the following strengths for your gang:
they’re armed (with guns and real dangerous stuff)

The Shield
When you’re surrounded by your gang, subtract 1 from any rolls against you. (NPCs act at a Disadvantage.)

The Clique (Again)
You’re at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around. They count as a gang. Choose one of the following strengths for your gang:
they’re connected (with money and designer drugs)

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, they gain the Condition one of them. While the Condition remains, they count as part of your gang.

Darkest Self:
They’ve failed you. This is all their fault, and there’s no reason why you should have to suffer the consequences of their idiocy. You need to make an example out of each of them, a cruel and unwavering example. You escape your Darkest Self when you relinquish part of your power over to someone more deserving, or when you destroy an innocent person in order to prove your might.

Backstory:
Name three NPCs who are members of your gang. Gain a String on each.

You find someone threatening. Give them a String on you, and take two Strings on them.

The Gang


That's Catherine on the left, and Ramirez on the right.


Garcia, looking as ugly as ever.

So, these are mine. Catherine, Ramirez, and Garcia. We grew up together, on the run together. Started a life of crime together, so. Pretty much as tight as four hombres can be, ok? Every one of these jackals would take a bullet to me - Garcia's taken a couple. And you'd better believe I've bled for them. I don't let anyone talk bad about anything about any of them. And I don't let them do anything without my permission, they know that.

The Saloon Girls

By now you ought to know Jemma Ross, so I won't go into details.


This is Ning. She doesn't normally have a gun or anything. But she is roughly that serious.


and this is Patricia Ford. She uh, yeah she flaunts it pretty hard. But I guess that's the business.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at Jul 19, 2015 around 15:02

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions

Well shoot this is some honest to god news. Frankly it feels a bit out of my league. Still it's interesting. A silent gun is a novel idea. I have a few theories on how it could be done myself. And one of them involves technology! So I'll probably print that one. I don't think there are any Djinn to provide smokeless fire in these here parts. I'm not going to dig too deep I think. This sort of poking around is for armed gentlemen like a Sheriff. Maybe I should start packing for my own good. That awful Mr. Zebub is back in town on that matter. He might cause trouble for me. He certainly promised to. Worse yet Beth has been talking about him all day. She wants to spend some time with a rugged "dangerous" man. Air quotes dangerous of course. We're not talking about Garcia. Ugh, what's so good about that boring horse's rear end? I just tell Beth I'll have to think on it. He's not going to be convinced spending time with her will keep me off his back. If anything it'd be a good story. Except not really it's pretty boring. S'pose she could just imply she's looking to hire him? Probably too cliche. Now isn't exactly the mood to be trying to set up a booty call anyway.

I just impatiently tap my pen onto my notepad and scan the crowd for someone who could give me some inspiration for this.

quote:

Look: Sleek, sharp eyes
Orgin: Walked the unseen path

Hot 2 cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1

Moves:

Silver Tongue: When someone is being foolish or in trouble give them advice. If they don't follow it give them a string. if they follow it and wish they didn't or vise versa take two strings and they mark experience.

Fox and Crane: When you embarrass someone publicly give them a condition and a string. If your own trick is turned on you mark experience.

Firestarter: Add 1 to your roll to turn someone on if you advances are scandalous or transgressive.

Sex Move: ask them if it was for real or fun. If real laugh at them and take a string. If for fun give two strings and mark experience.

Darkest self: Come up with the nastiest most devious convoluted trick possible. Frame others and be petty. Escape your darkest self when the trick is pulled off or when you realize you're being fooled.

backstory: someone trusts your wisdom take a string on them. You embarrassed someone publicaly, give them a condition and two strings.

Advances:

Be the Moon: when you create a huge scene Run Away with Hot. Replace make a huge scene with "someone there becomes obsessed with you"

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at Jul 21, 2015 around 14:27

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2 | Cold. -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: None
Location: The O'Donnell Funeral

Well, I'd hoped that the... roughness that characterizes territory life would keep on ignorin' my family's hotel, but this last little while proves that it wasn't ignoring us at all - just stockpiling a bunch of it up to drop on us all at once. Started when Pete Cantrell, the livery owner, thought that some other patron was looking at his wife in an inappropriate manner. I tried to calm the situation down, but it was obvious he was just spoiling for a fight anyway. By the time I called for the sheriff, they'd lost three teeth between them. At least, that's how many I picked up from the entryway rug.

Then Pa sends me out to toss the kitchen waste and lo and behold, one of them O'Donnell boys lying there in a pool of blood! I think I held it together pretty well, considering that until now my view of corpses has been all stitched-back-together and fancy-suited after the undertaker's done his work. Ma's losing her goddamned mind even though Pa stopped her from coming out and actually seeing the poor bastard. She's concerned it'll affect our bottom line. I'm not of the mind to agree with her - that many shots means it wasn't robbery, and lots of folk have problems with the Irish - I'm used to 'em from back home, personally. Speaking of the large number of shots, the sheriff and his men were askin' awfully pointed questions about my "claim" that there wasn't any noise of gunfire nearby last night.

And as if to finish off the hook-and-jab combination life just threw at me with a final kick to the nethers, goddamned Emmeline Hardison.

"Miss Hardison - I'm sure the preacher would love to hear your postive commentary. Meanwhile, I'm still rather out of sorts from having come upon the murder site, and would appreciate it if you simply left me be, before it continues to darken my mood."

Shut Someone Down: 2d6-1 5Welp.


quote:

Character Name: James
Look: Quiet Look, Nervous Eyes
Origin: Your Barista Bartender
Skin: The Mortal

Hot +2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark +1

Conditions:
Carry Forward:

Harm: ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
Experience Points:
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) (advance)

Moves:

[+]True Love
You always have exactly one lover. The first is chosen during your backstory.
If you ever fall in love with someone else instead, give them a String and they become your new lover.
You always carry 1 forward to earning your lover’s heart or fancy

[+]Sympathy Is My Weapon
Every time you forgive someone for hurting you, and excuse their base nature, take a String on them.

[+]Down the Rabbit Hole
When you go poking your nose in affairs not meant for your kind,
someone involved in the situation gains a string on you, and you mark experience.

[+]The Constant Bargain
When someone asks you to do something important for them, and you do it, roll with hot.
On a 10 up, they lose a String on you, and you gain one on them.
On a 7-9, choose one or the other.
On a miss, you’ve shown that they can walk all over you, and they take a String on you.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, trigger their Darkest Self

Darkest Self:
Nobody understands you, or even wants to. They’d rather you disappear.
Well, you’re not going to disappear. You’re going to make life a living hell for them.
You’ll betray the wicked to the judges, the weak to the executioners.
You’ll pit humans and supernaturals against one another, until everyone looks like monsters.

Only seeing the pain that you’re causing your lover will let you escape your Darkest Self.

Strings:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...rYtU/edit#gid=0
Advances:

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at Jul 19, 2015 around 17:50

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions: None

I reckon I never really liked funerals. Such sad occasions. S'pose they're even worse now, since they remind me that I never had one. Once the sermon ended an' the people dispersed, I decided to give Mr. O'Donnell a send-off personally. Bein' a spirit yerself makes funerals a different experience. Though lookin' around, I don't see Mr. O'Donnell's wife Mary. I had heard their relationship had been a bit rocky, but I reckon she'd at least be at her husband's funeral!

As Mr. O'Donnell's spirit walked off, I noticed Mrs. Abigale talkin' to some other people. Shucks an' golly gee, she sure is somethin' special. To be honest, I don't really know why I like her so much. I guess part of it is that I ain't never met a Yank before. She seems so....smart an' thoughtful. She's incredibly kind, an' she always stops by to say hello when I'm workin'. An' she's so beautiful and graceful! The way she flattens her dresses, the way she brushes her hair outta her face, it drives me plum wild! But...I know she'd never return those feelin's. I'm jes' a poor country girl, I ain't special. She deserves better.

I look away an' notice an Indian callin' me over. Sometimes the spirits of the graveyard will ask me ta do stuff fer 'em, since I can leave th' place. He says that Mr. O'Donnell stole a sacred relic from their tribe an' asks me if I can look into it and take it to him. I don't know about snoopin' in other people's houses after I walked in on James that one night, but I tell him I'll see what I can do. He seems happy with that.

quote:

Pollyanna Crawford, the Ghost

Hot 0, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 1

Look: Forlorn, hollow eyes
Origin: Murdered in cold blood

Unresolved Trauma: Whenever you project blame and trauma of your death onto your current situation, roll Dark. On 10 up, give two people the blamed condition. On a 7-9, give up to two people blamed, but for each, choose one:
-You gain delusional
-You can't speak during this scene
-You suffer one harm
-You start re-enacting the scene of your death

Forgive and Forget: Whenever you accept that someone isn't responsible for your pain and suffering and absolve them of blamed, mark experience.

Backstory

Someone knows you're dead and how you died. They gain a string on you.

You've been in someone's bedroom while they were sleeping. Take a string on them.

Sex Move

When you have sex with someone, you both get to answer a question of one another's characters. The other person must answer honestly and directly.

Darkest Self

You become invisible. No one can see you, feel you, or hear your voice. You can still affect inanimate objects, but this is your only form of communication. You escape your Darkest Self when someone acknowledges your presence and demonstrates how much they want you around.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions:Sapphic
Location: The O'Donnell Funeral



Oh dear! What a horrible murder. Or, as I suppose it will be called after Maple eventually prints it, an 'orrible murder. Never has the Wildness of the West been so firmly impressed on me as in this sudden instantiation of violence. At times like this, my heart goes out to the family. I must do something to help.

When I escaped my own wedding, I left with nothing but the clothes on my back. Fortunately, as the clothes on my back were an embroidered white silk gown with sapphire necklace and matching earrings, this provided, once carefully pawned piece by piece, enough money to carry me across the country and even to purchase a small wardrobe of respectable clothing. I have three dresses, and for today I select the black velvet one, and add a bonnet and veil. I fix a simple dish of calf's head to bring to the family, as no one should be without strong vittles during mourning, and join the rest of the town. Everyone is turned out, if not exactly in the proper spirit for the hour. After the funeral I catch snatches of gossip, but I ignore them. Doctor Armstrong was merely... out of sorts. They don't know him as I do; the man puts his heart and soul into his work, and it takes a toll on his health. No one ever said that the Lord's Work would be easy. Besides, I know for a fact that he was called out last night to examine the body,as the town lacks a proper coroner. Who wouldn't be exhausted?

As I make my way down the line of family, I give each what help I can, especially the grieving mother. There's a... a thing I can do, a calming effect, a lending of strength,in times like this. It's nothing much, just a little touch of grace, but I give what I can. When i reach Michael, however, I find his time being monopolized by another; Margaret Snyder? I thought she already had a beau? The hussy!

I peel away, my head spinning a bit, and that's when I overhear Bella La Ruz, who is no better than she ought to be, and that horrible Mr. Zebub, talking scandalously about Dr. Armstrong. What cheek! I stalk up between the two social pariahs and clear my throat. "Perhaps i should set something straight!" I hiss, keeping my voice low. "The Good Doctor is an honorable man, unlike some people i could name."

Shut Bella La Ruz down Down: 2d6+0 6


quote:

Also, I'm assuming that Abigale is taking a very "by the book" definition of virginity. But, while she surely disapproves of such interactions, would homosexual relations cause one to lose their virginity?
At the risk of getting clinical, Abigail's particular strain of unicorn-ness is essentially biblical, so her definition of virginity is very hymen-centric and involves purely penetrative penile sex acts; she doesn't actually know that there are any other kinds. That means that most lesbians and quite a lot of gay men would meet her definition of virginity, so far as kissing or the laying of heads in laps were concerned. Weird, but that's mysticism for you.

For the third part of her sex move, she still loses all her integrity when she has any kind of sex. She's personally held to a higher standard.


quote:

Name: Abigail Temple
Skin: Unicorn
Origin: Blessed
Look: Trick of the light, translucent eyes

Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0

People Should Never
lie, be selfish, break the law,
disobey elders, swear, dance, do drugs,
bully, gossip, make someone cry, drink, blaspheme,
commit adultery

Moves:

With Integrity
You judge your own actions harshly, holding yourself to a high moral standard. You have a fifth stat to reflect this, which starts at zero and can climb to 3. Gain a point of Integrity when
~you take the moral highground about an issue that matters,
~you follow through on something important that you say you'll do.

You can gain up to 1 Integrity per scene. When a move calls for you to roll with integrity, erase 1 Integrity after you roll.

Hunted
There are things that hunt you, things you often catch out of the corner of your eye. When one of them comes out into the open, choose:
~stand up to it and award yourself a point of Integrity,
~call out for help and anyone who comes to your rescue marks experience,
~look directly at it and ask the MC a question about your hunters.

Prophecies
When you predict the outcome of a PC's intended action well before they undertake it, roll with integrity (& then erase 1). On a 10 up, the decisive move's roll will succeed as a result of 10 up, or automatically miss, choose now. • On a 7-9, as above, but you'll have to be there to help it along.
On a successful roll, read this aloud: "A PC may defy this prediction by breaking their own heart."


Sex Moves
You have three intimacy moves:

When you lay your head in a virgin's lap, gain a point of Integrity and choose:
~give them 1 forward to protecting you,
~roll to turn them on.

When you kiss a non-virgin, take 1 harm.
When you have sex, lose all your Integrity.

Darkest Self
This is it. Everything falls apart, and you can't hold it together anymore. It's not because everything is too much to bear – just that you aren't good enough. So beg their forgivenesses, everyone you've wronged by being too weak to help; and show them how sorry you are, in whatever small ways you can muster before the final curtain falls. Don't seek their acceptance. You don't deserve it. You escape your Darkest Self when someone reflects to you a glimmer of your own self worth.


Your Backstory
Someone is thinking about taking something from you - discuss with them and decide what it is. You each get a String on one another.
Someone's in love with you and has told you about their feelings. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at Jun 17, 2015 around 01:48

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Abigale:, Miss Bella gives you a lascivious smile, saying, "So quick to jump to his defense! One might thi- Oh... I forgot. Of course you aren't interested in that man. Your interests are a bit more... deviant, hm?" Mr. Zebub, for his part, gives you a nasty glare, adding, "It ain't like eavesdropping makes you any better, girl." His eyes narrow as he spots Maple across the way, and he says, "Don't worry yourself, though. I got other bones to pick."

One of the younger O'Donnels, Chelsea, hears Miss Bella, and she tugs on your dress and looks up at you, confused, asking, "What's she talking about, Mrs. Abbie?" What do you do?
Miss Bella takes a string on you.


Maple:, Well, if you're looking for people who it makes sense to bug about the story, James, the man who found the body would be a good idea. .
On the other hand, if you're looking to help Beth with her crush, well... Mrs. Zebub would probably have plenty to say on the matter, but you're sure that none of it would be helpful. Still, Mr. Zebub's eye might have been awandering lately, so talking with Miss Bella might be productive.

Of course, you could always just chat with Mr. Zebub himself, since he's headin' your way. He don't like a mite pleased, though. What do you do?


Pollyanna:, Julius Whithouse, a teller at the big ol' bank walks up to talk to you. The conversation starts off casually enough, but eventually he mentions loans that your parents left unpaid when they passed. You've never heard of such things, of course, but he insists that you should come by the bank to see for yourself. He can show you right now, in fact. The bank isn't that far, and it won't take long. His eyes dart around, throwing glances to either side of the two of you.

During the conversation, you've noticed that Miss Bella and Mrs. Abigail seem to be getting into a bit of a squabble. What do you do?


James: you're so desperate to get rid of Emmeline Hardison that you've been nodding and nodding as she goes yaking on and on. When you finally tell her that you need some space right now, she frowns for a moment, but then smiles, saying, "Well, I hope you're feeling better for our dinner tonight! 5 o'clock, right at the hotel! I'm so excited!" She looks around, and then gives you a peck on the cheek before leaving you to your thoughts..

...Wait, you did what? Shoot! Well, that'll teach you to drift off while talking with her...

Well, at least Miss Mable is free right now. But it looks like she's about to have unpleasant company in the form of Mr. Zebub... What do you do?


Serena:, while you're rubbing your head, trying to make your hangover go away, you catch a dismisive sniff from Doc Armstrong. Ignoring him, you have little luck helping your hangover, but you do see your gang casually take up positions around the teller and Miss Polly, who he recently corralled in a conversation. Your gang gives you a few unsure glances, clearly unwilling to approach the two and botch things.

...Well, if you want something done right...
Doc takes a string on you.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 1/5, Conditions:

I was still nursing that hangover and I hadn't come up with anything, and by the time Catherine got herself ready she was all dolled up for a funeral. "Ai, mios dios..." I groaned, as the boys looked at me. "Fine, we'll go to the damnable funeral, but don't even think about putting me in a dress for it!" No one suggested it, but they were thinking it, I could tell...

We mostly hung out in the back, there, letting the rest of the townfolk go about offering their condolences and trying to seem sad about someone nobody liked. Wonder if I'd end up with a funeral like this? Nah, mine'd have to be bigger, with a proper party, plenty of celebration, and at least two or three pretty young things throwing themselves on my coffin. If I had my way and my reputation got as big as I wanted it, anyway.

Whithouse, however, saved me the trouble of having to find him, talking to that...well, that dead girl, anyway. I had been pretty reluctant to believe a dead person could be walking around but well, Pollyanna there was for sure one of 'em. We'd just come in town, were supposed to get a hand off from the dumb pendejo who shot her, but clearly he botched that job and wasn't about to get anything for a dead hostage, so we got him when he left town. Couldn't have John Law catching up to him and spilling the bees on who had been employing him, after all. So imagine my surprise when we came back to town and there was Pollyanna all wandering around like she got lucky and got away.

She didn't though, I've seen her body. Hell, Ramirez and Garcia buried it!

So it shouldn't come as a surprise that Ramirez was positioning himself on the other side of Whithouse, away from the dead girl. Catherine had no compunctions though and was a bit closer to her than even I'd be comfortable with. Garcia, well, as always the ugly bastard wanted to come up behind them.

Which left me to confront him face to face, of course. Gracias, friends...hope you don't want equal cuts of this job.

"Senor Julius, I am so glad I found you!" I say almost cheerfully (but not too cheerfully it is a funeral after all) as I approach, chewing on a toothpick. "I didn't know if you'd make it out this morning, after the night we had." I force a laugh and put an arm around his shoulder. "Say, did you want to go over those loan numbers with me? I'm pretty sure I want to get moving on buying that ranch as soon as I can, you know what I mean amigo? I'd be up for heading to the bank for a quick chat right now." He'd better. My smile wasn't reaching my eyes, which were boring directly into his. My other hand was on my hip, which was, of course, right next to my gun belt. Coincidence, surely.

Rolling to Manipulate Whithouse

2d6+1: 8 [2d6=6, 1] Orokos continues to throw ones at me. So what will it take to get him to come off with me and discuss things?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions: None

Well, shoot, this don't seem familiar. Daddy was always good with his finances and paid off his loans as quickly as possible, an' Mama got sick too soon after Daddy disappeared to take out any that I knew of. But I figure Mr. Whithouse worked with Daddy, so he should know what he's talkin' about. Seems mighty nervous, though. Before I can go with him though, that Miss Serena comes in an' starts talkin' ta him. I reckon I don't like Miss Serena. She hangs out with th' wrong crowd, an' she's always givin' me nasty looks. You think maybe she....nah, no one knows about that! They can't!

I catch that Mrs. Abigail is gettin' in a bit of a row, an' decide to take the opportunity ta get away from Miss Serena. "Well, shucks, Mr. Whithouse, I reckon you're busy with Miss Serena here. I'll come by th' bank tomorrow an' talk about th' loan there, okay? Toodles!" I lift my dress an' run over ta Mrs. Abigail. "Well, howdy there, Mrs. Abigail, Miss Bella. I reckon that sermon was one 'a th' best I ever heard, Mrs. Abigail. Don'tcha think so, Miss Bella?"

Shutting Miss Bella down.
Got a 9

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions:Sapphic
Location: The O'Donnell Funeral

I do a slow burn, clenching my fists in the folds of my dress. The woman has the morals of a cat. It doesn't help that I'm not entirely sure of what she's talking about, but it is surely dirty. Poor Polly's face floats up in my mind, but I swat it away hastily. Chelsea's question is awkwardly timed just as I'm about to blister Madame la Ruz's ears. "I have no idea what she imagines she's referring to. Nothing decent people ought to know about, I'm sure," is the best answer I can manage. I at least manage to give it the correct, icy spin.

And then, as if I'd spoken of the devil, Pollyanna appears. I hesitate. Under the circumstances, this might look bad -- I think probably it does, at least to Mistress La Ruz -- but Pollyana radiates such pure, sweet, innocent guilelessness that I can't give her the cold shoulder either, no matter what it does to my reputation. And, really, it would be wrong of me to respond to her enthusiasm with anything less than matching kindness; to do otherwise would be like kicking a puppy. I know, in my heart of hearts, that more people should be like her.

"Yes, it was a good sermon, Polly," I say warmly. I pluck the sleeve of her dress and gently guide her away from the madam and, possibly worse, Chelsea's questions. "Dr. Armstrong was unusually passionate this morning, i thought. He puts so much of himself into this town; perhaps too much."

"I haven't seen you at services lately," I add. "Not since we had that... little talk." I pat her hand, awkwardly. "I hope it didn't drive you away."

unintentionally Turn Polly On: 2d6+1 12 Taking a string and marking Xp.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions

Oh lord here we go. I'm not up for a hasslin' over some kerfuffle I ain't even lookin in. When he's in ear range I just declare to Beth, "And I heard they used a potato digger on the striker's camp." I snuck her a wink and she took the bait.
"My word Maple, you believe the wildest rubbish. There is no possible way a upstanding organization would allow that. Don't fill my head with anymore of that nonsense." She shooed me off and pretended to huff in Zebub's direction.

Free of the nuisance, hopefully, I scan for my own quarry. After all I need to be ever vigilant as a ace journalist. 'suppose I should get a few facts bout the incident straight. And if not the James boy is always good for gossip or a laugh. With the right poking and prodding. I sneak up to him then shout, "James! Want to give an exclusive interview?" I waggle my eyebrows at him, give him the ol sugar. He looks like he wants the excuse to head anywhere regardless.

Turn on 9 xp for hot

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2 | Cold. -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: None
Location: The O'Donnell Funeral

Why is she... wait, dinner?

"Wait up, Mi - drat it, she's gone."

I know just how this'll go down. Because now I've got to tell the parents, and they're just going to -love- this. They'll go whole hog, within the limits of reason. And to go with that, I'll be forced into that damned suit and all manner of other preparations.

But as if to offer some kind of respite for an incident she remains entirely unaware of, here comes Maple. Now this could be my chance for a proper impression. And let's start that out with a winning smile. Thank my Eastern upbringing for not succumbing to the poor dental habits of these territory folk.

Turn Someone On: 2d6+2 9

"Miss Camime! Why, I suppose I could. An unfortunate reason for my first appearance in your fine publication, isn't it? Would you prefer to sit down somewhere, or shall we have it here?"

He'll give you the interview you want.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Abigale and Polly, Miss Bella leans down and says to the little girl, "Oh, don't you mind them, Chelsea. I suppose we should give them some privacy. Fortunately, the innuendo goes over the little girl's head, and she just nods and wanders back to her family. Miss Bella gives you a mock smile and an exaggerated wave as she turns to leave.

Polly gives Miss Bella Third Wheel, and Miss Bella gives Polly Sapphic.

Serena, after Polly leaves, the shifty little teller looks around at you and your suddenly confident gang. He whispers, "Look, I know this makes things a bit more complicated Just promise to keep all of this deal between us, and everything can still work out just fine!" He glances around before adding at slightly louder-than-normal speaking voice, "And if you still want to go see that safe deposit box, I'm afraid it's only one customer at a time. I'm sure your friends won't mind, right?"

What do you do?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 1/5, Conditions:

Any time anybody ever said such a thing to me, things definitely did not work out 'just fine'. Generally it meant one of my men was going to end up shot, or I was going to lose out on a big score, or I was going to have to burn down a few buildings to get out. Still, the only sign of my displeasure was my spitting out my toothpick, I still smiled sweetly at the teller. "Well, golly-gee Mister Whithouse, I suppose my friends can wait outside fer us, if you think that's best!" I do my best impression of a clueless American belle (like Pollyanna) - I hated being told how things were going to work. I was the one who did the telling. Whithouse best remember that. "But shucks, I sure would like to make sure everythin's in order jus' as soon as I ken on account o' that big ol' ruckus last night." I drop the fake accent - Americans all sounded like idiots. "Comprende?" I pause, my smile dropping completely. "Vaminos, I say."

Serena will agree in a belligerent and sarcastic manner because she's Serena

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions: Sapphic

As Miss Bella leaves, I look at Mrs. Abigail for a second. Gosh, she sure is purty. I'm not happy ta admit it, but I lose myself fer a couple seconds before shakin; it off, though I think I'm still blushin'.

"N-No, not at all! I jes' been busy, that's all. I'm sorry 'bout that, by th' by. Th' whole....talk. I plum reckon I don't know what came over me. I know it ain't right, an' I'm sorry it's got people talkin' 'bout ya like that. I didn't mean any harm, that's th' God's truth of it! I hope we can jes' put this behind us, Mrs. Abigail."

A' course, I don't WANNA put it behind us. I jes' wanna be with her, an' havin' ta do this breaks my heart. Well, if I even had a heart. Yohoho, it is a ghost joke.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions

'suppose I could take to city slicker watchin if it ever gets too boring round here parts. Folks out here age like milk after all, so I get an eyeful while the lookin's good. 'course I catch myself and look down at my blank notes. My wild eyes when something holds promise can put people on edge. I don't want to scare him away with a predatory stare. Not 'till I get suthin good, 'least.

"Well shoot any's good for me, whatever makes you comfortable. Figger the lawmen are hasslin' you. But I don't want to scare ye into making any mistake. I don't need to fill a cell after all." I grin back, I sure don't just gotta fill some pages. "In fact if anything better happens this whole misfortune won't even make the paper."

Promising what she thinks he wants, a sympathetic ear to tell his side of the story.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot. +2 | Cold. -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: None
Location: The O'Donnell Funeral

"No need to worry on my behalf about the cell. The lawmens' hassling - a product of their own frustration, and I can't say I blame them. A very strange incident indeed. At the risk of tempting fate, I would very much prefer something else displace it in public memory. Mother's in hysterics over people maybe thinkin' they'll get murdered stayin' at our place. At any rate, how about over there?"

Pointing over to a nearby picnic table, I run ahead and consolidate a few of the potluck offerings closer together to allow us some free space before sitting down.

"Not really a long, involved story. Pa sent me out to throw away the onion skins and other waste. Came upon the departed right as I turned the corner into the alley between our establishment and the telegraph office. A whole mess o' blood under him. I ran over to the Doc's first, in case he still lived, and then over to the Sheriff's. As I've told the law - I was up taking inventory when the whole thing must've happened, and I heard no gunfire. I assumed at the time that he'd been stabbed, due to that, but the Doc indeed found bullets, apparently."

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at Jun 19, 2015 around 00:27

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions:Sapphic
Location: The O'Donnell Funeral

"I know you didn't mean any harm, Polly," I say earnestly. "You're a very kind person. Very pure. I can tell these things about people. You just got a little confused, is all. It happens to everyone."

I walk next to her, towards the victuals table, and help myself to some bread and cheese and salted pork. Say what you will about Serendipity, but the town shows a certain amount of generosity when it comes to foodstuffs. "I'm not worried about what people like Madam La Ruz think; I don't associate with slanderers and babblers. I'd rather hear your honest, if misguided, confession than a plague of whisperers. I wanted you to know that I don't think ill of you. You're a good girl. The sweetest I've met since crossing the Mississippi."

I pat her shoulder warmly, to show her there are no hard feelings. She is an orphan, after all, and has no parental hand to guide her steps, so some allowances have to be made. Though we are basically the same age, as a married woman, I feel some responsibility to see that she turns out well. I wonder, briefly, if I should warn her to refrain from thinking about any more unnatural acts, lest it tempt her into sin, but I don't have the heart to bring it up just now. "What did Mr. Whithouse want?" I ask, picking a safer topic of conversation. "I saw him speak to you earlier."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions

"Mmhmm mmhmm," I nod and not really pay attention. This is nothing the gossipers hadn't already let me know. "Was Sean even staying at your place? 'suppose so if your mother is so riled up by this. Had he been acting strangely lately? Infact has anything out of the ordinary happened with your guests lately?" Come on James, give me something. Some guy died isn't even news out here. Shoot, none of us heard of Polly Crackers' parents biting it until she stumbled back into town.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



James, well, which of the your many guests have come in with company that they clearly shouldn't have had? Who was the company, and why do you know things weren't exactly on the level? Do you tell Maple?

Maple and James, while the two of you are talking, James' father comes and claps him on the back, saying, "Good job, boy! I knew you'd come around. It's not every day you catch the eye of such a nice girl like Emmeline! Oh, and don't worry about tending bar tonight. You just make sure the two of you have a great night!"

James looks... less than pleased, but his father looks just over the Moon at the idea.

What do you do?

Serena, your gang takes the hint and disperses, making a beeline for the sagging table of food. Yep, sure pulling their weight.

Ingrates.

Once you and Mr. Whithouse are safely away from the crowd, he unlocks the front door of the bank and ushers you into his office. He says, "I'll have the combination during the night shift Wednesday. The vault's code is changed every day by Nathaniel Hedgepeth, the rail baron out here. He owns the bank, you see. And only the person who knows the combination every night, aside from him, is the teller on duty. Now, Wednesday night, I'm going to be working the night shift with Ol' Steven Hogg, the new guard. Once you'll have to take care of him without causing a ruckus, I'll open the vault, and you can skedaddle before anyone's the wiser."

What do you do?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 2/5, Conditions:

I grip my six-shooter's handle for a moment as he points out it'll be Wednesday night that the job can finally go down, but I let go and roll my eyes as I speak. "Which gives you four days to not get fingered, senor Julius. You couldn't have waited until Thursday morning to take care of your problems? Or maybe just let us deal with the issue for you like we had AGREED UPON!?" I shout in his face. gently caress, men were stupid irrational things. American men especially. I jab my finger into his chest forcefully and growl. "Your drunken sense of honor assuaged now, cabrone?! You think you won't sweat for the next four days? You think your little esposa back home ain't going to be tempted to weep at her amante's funeral, huh?"

I huff and give him space for the moment. "I swear to God, you get found out what you did you best pray that whoever uncovers it kills you dead because if this blows up and I get to you? You ain't going to enjoy what'll happen to you, comprende?!" I took another swig from my flask and glared at him. "And I would strongly recommend you think twice about trying to tattle on me, because you best believe I'll be keeping at least one pair of eyes on you at all times from here until we've concluded our business, ok?" I let my cheshire smile slip back on my face. I knew that was always scarier than my shouting, and it was especially scary after I had shouted.

Judging by the state of him, wide eyed and colorless, I could tell it worked.

Rolling to Shut Julius Down

2d6+1: 11 [2d6=4, 6]

I'll take a String on him since he doesn't have any strings on me. And mark xp for rolling Cold


"I'd recommend you sort yourself out before you get back out there. And don't draw any more attention to yourself by harassing your clientele at a funeral, okay?" My voice was sweet again, but he knew it was an act. Good. Put the fear into him, now he wouldn't make any more mistakes.

I turned and left the bank, with a sigh. The mistake he had made better not come back to bite me.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot. +2 | Cold. -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: None
Location: The O'Donnell Funeral

"He was, yes. While they've been in town for some time, he'd only booked the room for a single night. As to odd behavior, it wasn't so much strange as it was, well, inappropriate, but he did have a lady call on him at a very late hour. Just a few hours before I found the body. I didn't see who it was, nor hear them quite well enough to recall a particular woman's voice, as I was in one of the storage closets. My father, I assume, told her of his room, because I did hear someone did go up the stairs shortly afterward. And heard them come down them not a few minutes after."

I'll admit - a bit of a lie. I'm fully aware of Mrs. Whithouse's voice. She must be of English extraction, or sincerely wish to give that impression, and her accent is fairly unmistakeable among the usual frontier drawls. But our guests may rest assured that the particulars of their little dalliances will be kept in secret by us, even after their passing.

quote:

Maple and James, while the two of you are talking...

If I had sighed any longer, I may have run myself out of breath entirely.

"While I thank you for the accommodation, Father, her visit is not exactly... she thought me morose after what had happened, and wished to cheer me up."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions

"Ah now we're talking." I scribble a few notes. Suppose I'll hassle the boy's father later. Jus the suggestion should spice things up enough. Then ol paps comes over and mentions a name. Um. Hmmm. Emmeline. Give me a minute. Can't be that interesting I know all the all stars of my paper. "Oh! Eager Eyes Emmeline!" I blurt out and laugh. "We had such a confusion this one time. Both of us completely misunderstood what the other wanted." Luckily there was plenty other to print that week. "So." I clear my throat and look away as I forget that foolishness. "Sounds like ye got plans. If that's all you know I'll snoop around elsewhere."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot. +2 | Cold. -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: None
Location: The O'Donnell Funeral

"By all means, don't let me keep you. Good day, Miss Camime."

Resigned, I look back up (well, just a little up, nowadays) at Pa.

"I suppose I should go get out the suit before Mother starts to carry on about it?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



James, your true love beats a hasty retreat, leaving you alone with your father. She really didn't seem all that interested in you, though... What's your plan to win your love's heart, anyway?
Your dad is still overjoyed, and he's giving you all sorts of advice for the evening. Some of it even sounds like good advice to win your TRUE love's heart. What is it?

Maple, as you leave James and his father alone, Deputy Mayor Adam Worthy pulls you aside, saying, "I know that look in your eye, and I sure hope you ain't gonna be spreadin' no tall tales about this unfortunate death. I doubt the family really needs to be hearing that kind of nonsense right now."

What was the last story that got him so riled up? What was true in it? What... ah... liberties did you take with the story?

Serena, your amigos all scattered throughout the crowd, munching on food. When you go to join them, you run into one of the only people in town who scares you. Who is it and what do they want from you?

Abigale and Polly while the two of you are chatting, Pierre, the courier, joins the two of you and waits for a break in conversation for him to say, "Apologies for interrupting you ladies, but I just know that I'm gonna be on the road a lot in the upcoming days. I'd feel really stupid if I didn't get of seeing you here, Miss Polly. Anyways, Miss Polly, I'd be delighted if you would agree to accompany me to the upcoming hoe down. Well, what do ya say?"

Abigale, while Pierre is talking to Polly, you notice Serena's compatriots all tossing Polly looks when they think no one is watching. If you didn't know better, you'd think they were scared of her!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions: Sapphic

I simply nod at Mrs. Abigail's words. I know she's mistaken, that I ain't misguided about these feelin's. I jes' wanna be with her, but if this is how it is, I s'pose I won't belabor th' issue. Pushin' it would jes' make her hate me, and that'd just kill me. Even though....I reckon I'm already dead. Yohoho. I try ta tell myself it's better this way, but it still hurts.

"Mr. Whithouse? He said he wanted me ta come with him to th' bank to talk about some loans my daddy had open. Now, I don't remember Daddy havin' any major debts 'fore he disappeared, but Mr. Whithouse looked mighty nervous 'bout askin' me, so I s'pose it was somthin' serious."

And then Mr. Pierre came 'long. Aw shucks, he's always tryin' ta get time with me. Normally, I'da politely refused due to my feelin's for Mrs. Abigail, but maybe this is a good thing. It'll help me get over her.

"Well, shucks, Mr. Pierre. I s'pose that'd be a barrel of fun!"

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at Jun 20, 2015 around 14:31

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions

"I only print the truth good sir." I pull his hand off me. I may skip boring details but really I don't make things up. Speculation is clearly presented as such. I understand some people not appreciating my theories why the good Mrs. Worthy was seeing the doctor after regular business hours. But there was much more scandalous things I could have printed. I believe it was charitable to guess that she wanted to hide a rash. "...And some speculation clearly identified as such. but mostly the truth!" I huffed and walked away from him. I didn't feel like debating journalistic ethics right now. I had a scoop to chase.

I went to the alleyway where it happened and started sniffing. It was a hassle when my unseen parts got caught on something but having canine qualities had its ups too. Surely there was some clue on how James didn't hear the gunshots.

Gaze 13 uh carry 1 forward and vivid I guess. "Why didn't James hear the shots"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 0/4 XP 2/5 Conditions:Sapphic
Location: The O'Donnell Funeral

Mr. Whithouse is up to what?! And those louts that follow Serna around are eying Polly... I'm so caught up in speculation that I almost don't pay attention to Pierre's offer to Polly. Well that's... good. Isn't it? Pierre seems like an honorable man, for a half-gallic Quebecker. And this would assuredly help the girl avoid any unnatural temptations, although it might, of course, lead her into natural temptations of a different sort, like dancing licentiously or drinking, or.... Still, I should be happy for her.

So why do I feel hot dread and jealousy in the pit of my stomach?

I give Polly a sickly smile, and squeeze her hand just a little too forcefully. "Don't worry about Mr. Whithouse. I'll have a talk with him. You have fun, Polly." I hesitate, and then add, "In a measured, prudent, godly way, of course." I haven't actually attended any of the local festivities in the short time I've been here, although I did attend several charming parties in Boston. I'm not at all certain what one does at a 'hoedown'. Will there be waltzing? I give Pierre the eye. "And you be on your best behavior, Mr. Desjardins. I'll be watching."

Then I turn, and catch Serena coming out of the bank. Her friends are still staring at Polly. What on earth is that...

A safe, popped open, displaying silver dollars and banker's notes. Serena, Catherine, and Garcia standing in a half-circle, guns drawn. A gunshot. Blood on the floor. Mr Hogg, pale and shaking. Gunsmoke. Screams. A woman screaming; Polly? Me?

I lurch, grabbing the side of my head. It's been months since I had a prediction, and this one's powerful, but vague. My blood thunders in my temples and I know someone's going to get hurt, maybe die. And it's got something to do with Serena, and... Polly? Are they going to steal from Polly? Did her parents leave her some money? That would be just like Mr. Whithouse, to take advantage of the ignorance of a young girl in matters of probate.

I stand up, shaking my head. This cannot stand! I'm not fool enough to go up to Serena and her gang -- not without some help -- but I'm going to confront Mr. Whithouse. I can do that much, at least.

I stalk into the bank, looking for the teller. "Mr Whithouse! We need to have a chat."


Predictions: 2d6+0 6 Oh well. I was going to predict that Serena's robbery would fail, but instead Abigale leaps to an incorrect assumption based on her ability to predict the future. Also, marking xp for rolling integrity.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at Jun 20, 2015 around 18:48

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot. +2 | Cold. -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: None
Location: The O'Donnell Funeral

Plan? Well, I mean, I guess if I have a plan it's to speak with her more? There's the hoedown coming up, but Pa came up before I'd finished answering her questions. Still, it's very soon, so I guess I don't have much time between getting ready for this damned dinner, the dinner itself, and my normal duties.

Pa says a lot of what I'd expected - compliment her appearance, be a gentleman, keep my conduct and discourse inoffensive. But he also says to demonstrate an interest in her hobbies and activities. Now, appearing to pay any more heed to the Good Book than the bare necessity to keep myself from the Fires Eternal is going to be quite the challenge, but I do enjoy Maple's paper, and maybe I ought to be a little more forthcoming and a little more helpful to that endeavor in the future.

"Thanks. Say - I'm going back to the Hotel to get ready. The baths in the back are workin', right?"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 2/5, Conditions:

I was just about to go yell at my horrible slacking gang when I heard a voice behind me, feminine and purring. "Oh, Senorita Ortega, you surely do fill out those chaps nicely, but here I thought I'd finally catch you in a dress!" Followed by some laughter.

I cringed, both at the butchering of Spanish (she pronounced it Senior eata) and by my immediate recognition of who the voice belonged to: Jemma Ross. One of Bella's girls, and one who, for whatever reason, had taken it upon herself to flatter and flirt with me whenever she got the chance.

"Miss Jemma..." I greeted her wearily as I turned to face her, almost getting a face-full of cleavage as she hugged me in greeting, before I pushed her off. Dios mio I had no idea she was so close! "...careful not to sneak up on people! A lot of us are armed, comprende!?" I rolled my eyes and took a step back.

Look, it wasn't that Jemma wasn't a pretty girl, she was, curled blonde locks and deep green eyes and everything. But I wasn't into that sort of thing, at all, which either meant she was trying to get me riled up which meant she was crazy or stupid or both, or she was determined to change my mind - either made me kind of wary. The worst part is I couldn't just scare her off, Bella was paying me and mine to watch out for her girls, Jemma included. And I know Ramirez liked her plenty, not that I wanted to think about that.

"Oh, next time we'll get her in a dress for sure!" Came another voice. Catherine's, as she jokingly linked her arm with mine and grinned up at me. Catherine, really all of them, knew Jemma was not getting the hint, and Catherine relished in torturing me. I take it back, this was the worst thing about Jemma. I was cursed. I fixed Catherine with a withering glance and her grin slowly disappeared, catching the hint that she was approaching the line.

Jemma laughed again. "Oh you two will simply make me blush, I swear." She said and fanned herself. "But while I've got your attention, I wonder if I can beg you a favor Senorita Ortega?" She purred and batted her eyelashes at me. I just stared. Normally I let people call me Serena or I made my enemies call me 'La Furia', in hushed whispers or screams of terror, preferably. But I had made no effort to correct Jemma on my name and thankfully not even Catherine was so stupid to try and do it herself.

"...what do you want, Jemma?" I asked as gruffly as I could. Thankfully the hangover kept the growl in my voice.

"Well I think someone was tryin' ta break into my room last night while I slept! With all the horrible things going on I wouldn't want to be this horrible murderer's next victim!" She feigned fainting. I rolled my eyes again. Whenever she had a problem with her room she always came to me...and I always sent one of the boys to stay away from the tart. "Anyway, I was wondering, since you're so savvy and worldly, if you could take a look at my lock and make sure it's, well, locked."

"What makes you think there's going to be another murder?" I asked, completely ignoring her request and scanning the crowd for anyone or anything that could get me out of this conversation.

"These things are never clean Senorita Ortega, I am sure you know. Now c'mon, it'll just take a minute!" She grabbed my other arm and started pulling. I growled. Catherine tried to squirm away but I clung tightly to her. Hopefully she'd be enough of a buffer. If I was going to get dragged off to this drat busywork at the very least I was going to make sure it really did just take a minute.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2015 around 01:27

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Maple, well, don't that beat all. You can't smell a lick of gunpowder anywhere in this alley. So... some kind of rifle that doesn't use gunpowder? Like pressurized air, maybe?

Or... maybe who (or what) killed him threw the bullets somehow? Curiouser and Curiouser.

While you're examining the, you spot Serena more or less being frogmarched by two of Miss Bella's girls. Now, of course a busybody like yourself knows allll about the crush Jemma has on the "charming" Serena. Miss Abigail and Miss Polly were also talking up until that Pierre joined in. He's an awful nice fellow, and makes eyes Polly all the time. Apparently, she's finally giving him the time of day! And that's nice isn't it? He delivers a good number of your papers too! But what did he do that really bothered you recently?

What do you do?

James, your father says, "Well, you should clean up for sure, but maybe wait until it's a little closer, don't you think? Since I'm giving you the night off, there's plenty of chores to be done! Of course, those can wait after the funeral." He gives you a pat on the back and leaves you to your thoughts. And, while you're pondering Miss Maple, you spot Pierre and Polly. Hm, you know what? Mr. Pierre delivers the paper every morning. He's gotta know something about her, right? And Miss Polly talks to her all the time! Maybe they'll have some advice!

Abigail, well, that sure was an inappropriate feeling, hm? Do you think you should avoid Polly to avoid such sinful feelings? If so, are you going to?

Once you enter the bank, you see Julius going through papers, but the visions of what is yet to come overtake you again. They're no clearer this time around, but you do come back to yourself staring at the ceiling as Mr. Julius is fanning you with some papers as he rests your head in his lap. He sighs in relief as your eyes flutter open, and he offers you a cup of water. What do you do?
He takes a string on you.

Polly, as Miss Abigail leaves, Mr. Pierre relaxes a bit. The tension from asking in front of someone and asking in the first place both melt away with your yes, though. He says, "Oh boy! Now, don't you worry none Miss Polly! I'll make sure you have the best night of your life!" He starts going over plans and arrangements for the dance. It all sounds agreeable enough, but you notice someone giving you a jealous look right now? Who?

What do you do?

Serena, once you get to room on the first floor of the saloon, Catherine slips right out of your arm so you can examine the door better. To your great shock, it sure looks like a big ol' boot was kicking at the lock! Seeing the shock on your face, Jemma slips an arm around you and leans her head on your shoulder, saying, "See! I told you I was worried! I... I just won't feel safe tonight unless someone's here with me!"

Cathrine sighs and adds, "Miss Bella asked if you could arrange it. Somehow." What do you do?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2015 around 03:32

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions

Looks like my hunch was correct, I reckon. A bit of a curse. Well I'll have to find the contraption what did this, or the trick. It'd be mighty useful and I'd hate for it to fall into hands that might abuse it. ...

Well it's nice that Pierre is getting lady attention. Maybe he'll stop bugging me about the things in my home he saw through the window. I don't let people in my home because I don't want to have to explain Shameimaru's gifts. Worse yet he came around once when master paid a visit. She was thanking me for an entertaining issue. Shameimaru knows all my weak points and reaches them all at once. Under my chin, behind my neck, rubbing my belly... ahem I really feel embarrassed when I think about it. Needless to say I was indisposed when Pierre came knocking on my door. I managed to get my glamor back up but not my composure. He quickly excused himself getting the wrong idea. 'suppose that's better than him getting the right idea.

Spicy Serena catches my eye with her shadows in tow. This gon' be good. I want to give Jemma some tips for more exciting outcomes but it's just so drat funny to watch those two flounder around each other. I just waltz in the saloon as usual. And wouldn't you know it, some honest to god news happens. Maybe I really should arm myself. I start scribbling notes as I peek from around the corner.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 2/5, Conditions:

I put the palm of my hand over my face and silently scream into it so no one can see. Wednesday couldn't come soon enough, then I could...we could...vaminos out of this one horse town. Shrugging my way out of Jemma's clutches I wheel to face her. "Ok ok, I'll get Garcia to keep watch on your door tonight. He's a real stalwart, he won't let any cabrone get in here to harass you." I would've preferred Garcia kept an eye on Whithouse tonight but I suppose I could do that myself. Which reminded me.

"Mierda! Catherine, do a couple things for me okay?" I pull her out of the room, out of Jemma's earshot. "First of all, get Garcia up here. His ugly mug'll scare off anybody tryin' to mess with Miss Jemma. Second, I need you to keep eyes on Whithouse until I get down there to do it myself. Can't let him think he can go off half-cocked on his own anymore. So make sure he doesn't get into trouble." That done, I parked myself against the doorframe as Catherine went off to do as I asked.

"Senorita Ortega..." comes Jemma's voice. "Aren't you going to keep me company?" I push my head into the wall and groan under my breath.

"Si, Miss Jemma, come downstairs, let's have a drink." At least both of our tabs were comped, and it was out in the open, so it was better than...ugh...being alone with her in her room.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 0/4 XP 2/5 Conditions:Sapphic
Location: The Bank

I am of the desposyni, the blood of saints and martyrs. I take no pride in it; it's a terrible affliction. My flesh cannot stand the touch of unclean things. And this close to Mr. Whithouse, I can feel that he is unclean; that he has polluted his flesh with alcohol, tobacco, and other poisons, that he has eaten the flesh of unsanctioned animals, that he has known the touch of women not his wife. This is so unlike my contact with Polly, who, whatever the temptation she presents, is of pure and innocent character, that I almost scream. Laying in his lap, I want to scrub myself down with water and lye soap. And so it is most vexing that he is actually being kind to me; that means I have to be polite.

I sit up jerkily, the better not to be touched, but I take the cup from his hand, careful not to brush against him, and sip from it. It's just water, warmed to tepidness by the day's heat. "I'm fine," I say. "I just took a turn. It happens to me sometimes." It's times like this that I wish that I could lie. "Thank you for the water," I say, through gritted teeth.

I look around the bank. Senora Serena is gone, which makes what I need to do easier. "I need to speak to you," I say, "about young Polly." I give him a cool look. "She told me that you had a debt she needed to settle? Well, I am no solicitor, but I do know a thing or two about financial management, so I told her that I would take a look at it and see what I thought."

It's true, I do know quite a bit about finances. My step-parents raised me to be the best possible wife there could be, the better to fetch a good price from Mr. Harding. I had fine tutors on all the uxorial arts, along with a classical education (which is why I know the word "uxorial"). I can balance household accounts while planning a dinner party while balancing a book on my head and practicing elocution. None of these skills have been particularly useful in Serendipity, up to now. I smile, with teeth. "Could you show me the account? It won't take but a moment."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot. +2 | Cold. -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: None
Location: The O'Donnell Funeral

"Of course. Right."

Emmeline's droning has me quite lost in time. I thought the world would end before she would shut up. Which has me looking forward to tonight, of course. Perhaps they'll allow us wine and I can get good and drunk.

Polly - er, Miss Crawford - seems like someone to talk to for some additional helpful information about Miss Camime. However, she's currently conversing with Pierre, and while he delivers the papers, I doubt his acquaintance with her extends beyong the barest professional capacity. Still...

"Miss Crawford, Pierre. How does the day find you?"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions

I hurry back down before Serena bumps into me and I'd be due for some lumps. I find an empty table and order a drink. I get a suspicious glare when I try to act like a normal patron, it usually means I'm trying to cover up some trouble I caused. It always causes me to grin which doesn't help my case. Serena comes down before its determined to be safe to let me have my drink. I wave her over with my charming mischievous grin. "Having fun this early in the morning? Me too. Need to put away the dour mood of a funeral, yeah?"

Turn on 9

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions: Sapphic

"I plumb reckon it'll be, Mr. Pierre! I've been kinda havin' a rough time lately, so this'll do jes' the trick!" I look past Pierre's shoulder and see Miss Rose Dawson shootin' me a nasty look. She's had her eyes on Pierre fer a while, but this is jes' a dance, right? It don't gotta mean anythin'. I hope she don't end up hatin' me. It prolly ain't best ta talk ta her about it. My thoughts are broken by th' arrival of Mr. James. It's still kinda weird bein' 'round James ever since I accidentally went into his room that one night. I look away slightly.

"Mr. James! I reckon the day finds me well. Mr. Pierre here jes' asked me to th' hoedown!"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 2/5, Conditions:

Jemma scurries out after me, and as I head down into the seating area, I spy that Camime girl waving me over.

Today was shaping up to be a real mess. First Whithouse loses his cool, then Jemma starts in on her unnatural attraction again, and now I've got Serendipity's own little periodista here to bother me. Still, I gave her a small smile, no reason to let her think there was anything out of the ordinary going on here.

Maple can have a string

"Senorita Maple, good morning." I said as I turned around to grab a chair to bring to her table. I sat, and then Jemma sat, interposing herself between Maple and myself. Ai caramba, this girl was going to be the death of me. But at least she had brought a couple of whiskeys from the bar. I sipped.

"There are some days that you need a pick me up first thing, you know?" I responded to her comment about the funeral. "Quite a shame about what happened to to the O'Donnell chico, no?"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions

"Oh yes yes. I prefer human interest stories, like loooove." I bat my eyelashes and hold my hands together. Jemma seems to take my melodrama at face value and enthusiastically agrees. I only half suppress my snort when she eyes Serena after that. Good ol' Jemma, dim as a dog. She's so fun. I think I'll have some move fun with her. I scribble a note. My Spanish isn't as good as Serena's but when you learn the Fair Tongue everything is an easy follow up. I've been practicing a few different tongues so I can start working on world news. Jemma wouldn't know the difference. So a note apologizing for nearly breaking the lock 'too much to drink and had to see you' keeping appearances blah blah blah. Serena's curt no nonsense manner is easy to replicate. And I sneak the note under the table onto Jemma's lap. This gon' be good.

Hold steady 8 Keep my cool and do the thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot. +2 | Cold. -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: None
Location: The O'Donnell Funeral

It appears Miss Crawford does not wish to make eye contact. She always has been a little timid.

"Ah, is that so? Well, it seems that Pierre's good fortune is not limited to his traveling, then - since you appear to have accepted his invitation. I wish the both of you well. I hate to intrude on such a moment, but would you mind if I had a word with Miss Crawford? Just a moment, of course."

  • Locked thread
«6 »