Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Maple, you catch Jemma's eyes go wide for a moment as she reads the note, and she throws a longing glance at Serena while she's looking the other way.

Serena, Catherine nods and gives you a mischievous grin as she says, "Don't worry. You can take your time here. I'll keep him out of trouble. Still, might be a good idea to try and keep his wife from sleeping around on him for a few days." She shrugs, adding, "I don't care about him being happy or nuthin', but he might feel less like shooting people if she don't give him a reason."

After Catherine leaves you with Maple and Jemma, you get to talking for a little before Jemma says, "Oh, how about another round for the table?

Abigail, his face sours at the suggestion and his voice loses the touch of concern he had before as he says, "I'm afraid that I can't just go over my customer's financial records with third parties, simply on the word of the third party. Surely you understand. No, I'm afraid that I'll need something in writing, or better yet, Miss Polly herself to say as much."

What do you do?

James and Polly Pierre, still grinning like a loon, says, "Oh, I was just leaving anyway. Gotta get on the road! Plenty of packages to deliver, don't you know, and I don't get paid to lollygag." He grins back at Polly, saying, "But I can't wait to come acallin' for the dance! See ya then!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 0/4 XP 2/5 Conditions:Sapphic
Location: The Bank

"Oh, of course, Mr. Whithouse," I say, grabbing up a piece of bank stationary and a fountain pen and writing quickly (but with my habitual neat penmanship). "I must respect your probity and sense of formality."

quote:

I, Pollyanna Crawford, do hereby consent to allowing Mrs Abigail Harding (née Temple) to read and peruse all my sundry financial accounts currently lodged with the Serendipity Trust, so that I may make use of her analysis thereof for the betterment of my understanding forthwith.

X________________
Signed this day, April 15 Year of Our Lord, 1867

I'm not sure whether or not Polly can read, but she can surely make a signature. I show Julius the piece of paper. "I'll just go and get her to sign this. I would have brought her in myself, but she is with her new beau and I didn't want to disturb her,as it might make her disposed to petulance. But since you insist, Mr. Whithouse, I suppose I must."

I stand up and make to leave. "I, of course, have nothing to hide," I add, with the smug satisfaction that comes from being absolutely in the right. "We'll soon see whether the same can be said of this bank."

Manipulate an NPC: 2d6+1 7

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 2/5, Conditions:

"Yeah, might as well keep an eye on his esposa as well, have Ramirez do it until I get down there, then you can take over." I accept Catherine's recommendation of events. This watchdog basura was getting to be too much for me. "And...hurry back will you?" I urge her plaintively as she heads out.

However, that was about ten minutes ago and still no sign of Garcia here yet. Which meant I was stuck here with Jemma AND Maple, here in the third circle of the Inferno.

Jemma suggested another round and I mutely nodded, then glanced at Maple across the table. "So...what's the story then? You're never not scribbling in that little diary of yours, taking notes, so I gotta assume noting here's off the record, si? So what're you sniffing around here for? You think you'll catch something scandalous happening? Because I have got to tell you miss Camime, you are looking in the wrong place if you are."

As Jemma gets up to get the other drinks I lean in a bit closer and grin mirthlessly. "Think you'd probably have better luck elsewhere. I suggest you start your search over." At least one of these people needed to leave and I couldn't get rid of Jemma, sadly. Not yet. Which meant I'd be much happier if Maple got gone.

Shutting Down Maple.

2d6+1: 9 [2d6=2, 6]

Going to trade Conditions with her. Giving her 'Nosy'

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions Nosy

Hook line and sinker. The two make a fun couple. then Serena tries to give me the business. Sure it makes me feel not wanted but shoot I'm used to that. "A muckraker always needs her ear to the ground." My second ears twitch, not that anyone can see them. "Sometimes I just wander and see if a story comes to me. Am I making you nervous?" My face twists into a disgusting grin. "My oh my Miss Ortega why ever so would you not want a journalist around? Do you have something to lose from the truth being spread?"

tagging hiding something

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot. +2 | Cold. -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: None
Location: The O'Donnell Funeral

I watch Pierre go a fair distance before turning back to Miss Crawford.

"As I said, I hope you two enjoy yourselves. Speaking of the hoedown - you'd consider yourself friends with Miss Camime, no? I was - well, I was wondering if she was going with anyone yet? I figured I'd ask you before I just got sent away because some other lucky fellow asked her first."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions: Sapphic

"Bye, Mr. Pierre!" As I watch Mr. Pierre leave, I wonder if this is still a good idea. But ain't no time ta think 'bout that!

"Miss Maple? Well, shucks. She ain't told me 'bout anybody, but I reckon it wouldn't hurt ta ask."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot. +2 | Cold. -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: None
Location: The O'Donnell Funeral

A rather workaday answer. I was hoping to at least get some kind of idea how I could win her over, and you'd think her friends would be helpful in that regard.

"I understand. I'd assumed two beautiful women such as yourselves would be fending off the men of this town day and night."

[21:23] Krysmbot Jolinaxas, 4+2 = 6
After some discussion, it gets an additional +1 since he's flattering her in pursuit of his True Love, that makes 7. Your choice.


"You see, things of this nature were a little different back East, and I was wondering if you could maybe help me out. Maybe ask her what she thinks of me, if she hasn't mentioned me already, of course."

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2015 around 01:47

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 2/5, Conditions: Hiding Something

"Don't we all, chica?" I shoot back, maybe more defensive-sounding than I intended. This pushy little rag-writing gossip hound was going to front at me? Maybe she hasn't heard of me, maybe she has, either way she was making a bad, bad mistake, but I needed to keep my head down until Wednesday evening. "Since you aren't picking up subtle hints, I'll be more clear;" I stated. "Do yourself a favor and get lost. You don't want the trouble you're sniffing after, comprende?" That was two warnings, one was even clear as could be, I assumed. If she didn't get the hint now it wasn't anybody's fault but hers' what happened to her.

I stared, waiting for her to make a move. One of my hands rested on my leg, near my six-shooter's grip. I was a quick draw - not the quickest, maybe, but easily quick enough for a reporter. I wasn't interested in starting poo poo here and now, but at the same time...I was bored.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions Nosy

"Alright alright. No reason to give myself so much trouble this early in the mornin. I'll be seeing you around then. After all I could never miss the sight of-" I looked to Jemma "-such a big... strong... woman." I cackled and skipped out of the saloon.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Maple, so, you've got a headline, a bit of human interest, and sundry gossip from the town. This issue is almost writing itself! Who are you thinking of fingering for the crime? Or maybe the mystery itself is the bigger story. Hmm...

Still, you've got to finish the paper before tomorrow evening. Shameimaru doesn't like getting a late issue, after all... So, who's your next mark interview target?

Sereina, after Maple leaves, Nathaniel Hedgepeth, owner of the local mining company, comes in and grabs a table for himself. Jemma, for once not being flirty, edges a little closer, fear clear in her eyes. What did he do last time that makes you want to keep an eye on him? Aside from the silly rumor that he ate a cow whole, of course.

Also, have you put any thought into how you're going to get the collection box from the revival tent?

Abigale, he lets out an offended sniff before adding, "I hope you're planning on getting that chicken scratch notarized before you try and present it as a legal document." He then ushers you out and locks the door behind you.

By the time you make it back, the gathering is starting to disperse, as most honest people still have work to do for the day. James and Polly are still talking, but the good Doctor stops you, asking if you could stay with grieving family to see if they need anything. He would do it himself, but he's got to ride out and take a look at poor ol' Jacob Hogg, Steven Hogg's boy. He looks haggard, but he brushes off any concern with, "The Lord's work is never done, I'm afraid."

Scene will be ending in one or two MC posts.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions: Sapphic

I'll give a string for that 7.

"Well, gosh 'n golly gee, I sure am popular today! Well, lemme tell you, Mr. James, I'll go an' ask Maple 'bout it next time I see her, 'kay?"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 2/5, Conditions: Hiding Something

I finish my drink to drown out Maple's cackle. Stupid girl had a deathwish I supposed. Jemma had scooted up nice and close and I was about to push her away when I caught sight of Hedgepeth setting himself up a table and my eyes narrowed. I put a hand on Jemma's leg to keep her calm instead.

The bastard had gotten awful rough with her a few weeks back when he came in, and locked the door, too, to make sure it took us a few minutes to get in. Now we kicked him out and all, but he had paid up front (as preferred) so technically, well, poo poo, he didn't actually hurt her, hurt her. Just banged her up some.

Still, if the bribón thought he'd get to have his way with her again, he had another thing coming. If the gang had been here we would take him now and ride him out of town and no one would ever see him again. For now? I had to be subtle. I could probably drop him from across the room but, like I said before, I had to keep things quiet until Wednesday night, I guess. So instead I fished out some dinero and slapped it down on the table in front of Jemma. I mumbled "I am surely going to regret this." under my breath and then addressed her directly.

"Come on, get up. You're bought for the evening Miss Jemma. We'll go meet the boys ourselves and then we'll run a quick errand, ok?" drat my pure heart. I didn't see her reaction because I was too busy glaring at Hedgepeth from across the Saloon. Still, I stood and offered her my hand in assistance. "Come on, vaminos."

Oh, and that errand? Yeah, I had an idea for taking care of that little bit with the collection box. But I'd need a distraction. Jemma was nothing if not distracting, so two birds, one stone, you know?

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot. +2 | Cold. -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: None
Location: The O'Donnell Funeral

"That's all I can ask of you. A thousand thanks."

I scan the crowd, looking to perhaps have her get this over with right now, but Maple's nowhere to be found.

"Huh. Where could she have gotten off to? Well, I suppose she's always busy, getting stories and what have you."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions Nosy

There was one lead I could follow on whodunit. But I'd need to ask around the Saloon more and that wasn't happening right now. The girls new all about anyone who wasn't monogamous in town, after all the place had a monopoly or drat near one. So that left looking into the powderless gun. The prospects for that was even worse. Sassafras knew all sorts of weird stuff. But I couldn't ask him directly. Zebub knew a lot about weapons, he gave me the 'from Bleeding Kansas to Gettysburg' speech twice now. Honestly he should just get into that mess boiling up over in Europe, the man doesn't seem comfortable if he isn't looking for a target. If Beth had any luck maybe I could use her. I'm sure she would appreciate me not printing her infatuations extending beyond her husband.

I headed back to the dying down gathering. Heh, dying. The whole thing was cooling down along with the body. I scanned the crowd to see if Beth was still around.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 0/4 XP 2/5 Conditions:Sapphic
Location: Outside the Bank

Chicken scratch! My handwriting is lovely, with a classical, elegant rounded style! The nerve of the man!

I step outside to see the gathering winding down. Polly and young James seem to be talking rather closely. I'm just about to wander over there to make sure that everything is still perfectly innocent when Dr. Armstrong puts his hand on my shoulder. Of course he has to rush out and save someone. Always so selfless, is our good Doctor Armstrong! I agree instantly, and sigh contentedly when he goes. What a charitable, Christian soul.

I go to the O'Donnells, my hands clasped in front of my dress. The huge clan is gathered in a clump next to the serving table. Some of the bigger boys have been eating the entire time, with the relentless, dull repetition of grazing cattle, but I charitably chalk this up to grief.

"I'm so sorry for your loss. Is there anything I can help you with?" I ask them. "Anything at all? Just name it."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Abigail, Michael, that most handsome boy of the O'Donnel clan, gives you an grateful and exhausted smile when you offer to help. He takes you to one side and says, "Once Mamma heard what happened, she said she'd go to the undertaker and take care of all the arrangements." He gestures around, to indicate that she apparently did all she said, but adds, "But... she ain't shown up here. Patrick and I have been trying to tell the youngun's that she's just taken care of some important grownup stuff, but honestly, we're kinda worried ourselves. Do you think you could track her down for us? I know an important woman like yourself got plenty to do up at the revival tent and such, but it'd be a real kindness."

You also spot Jemma and Serena making their way to the revival tent. What do you do?

Maple, Beth is just saying her goodbyes as Miss Zebub starts to stalk over to the pair. From the flush on Mr. Zebub's face, you're sure she made an impression. Although... you see Serena and Jemma walking out of the saloon together. AND Abigail is intercepted by the Doc. Nothing to notice normally, but once he thinks he isn't being watched, you notice he's walking with a slight stagger. ...Maybe he really WAS drunk during the sermon?

So many stories, but so little time... What do you do?

James and Polly, oh, there's Miss Mable right now, comin' outta the saloon!

Polly, what advice do you want from her? After all, the last time you went on a date, it... ah... didn't go so well. What happeend?

Serena, Jemma doesn't leave your side, and she even behaves herself (well, behaves herself for Jemma, at least). Sure there's big ol' Brady Walker watching the place while it's empty, but you DO have a plan for that, right? What do you do?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 2/5, Conditions: Hiding Something

Heading back I was almost surprised to see Ramirez heading my way, but I nodded at him and then at the revival tent. He smirked at Jemma being with me but I shot him a look and he straightened up. "That dog turd Hedgepeth was eyeing us from across the Saloon." I said and gave her a little squeeze on the shoulder to reassure her. He spit.

"Fuckin' trash. You want me to...?"

"Nah, ese, he'll get his eventually, but we're gonna need you for something else." Now, this was the tricky part, because I couldn't actually TAKE the revival money until Wednesday, either. An investigation of where I was snooping around was going to get messy and I don't intend to give any of these cabrones enough time to react, which meant...

...ugh, it meant grooming Jemma into doing what I needed her to do which meant I needed to keep her around which meant...

I shuttered. "Okay, so for now, Ramirez, keep an eye on Jemma when I'm not around to. When I am, make sure Garcia and Catherine stay on their targets, okay?" He nods, no argument there.

"Jemma." I turned to face her. "Listen..." We stopped outside the revival tent - I wasn't going in. Not yet. Not for a few days. "...listen, chica..." I took her hand. She blushed. I took a moment to not look annoyed and continued. "...here's where you come in. There's two big things which I want, and, well, soon enough me and the gang gotta get out of town, okay? But I want to make sure you're well taken care of when we go, so..."

She interrupted, of course. "You're leaving!? Senorita Ortega why, was it something I said?" I could feel her grabbing my hand tightly, as if we were leaving right this second.

"N...no Miss Jemma, nothing like that, I promise, okay?" This woman was a mess, I swear. "It's just...we don't like towns that get too big. Frontier folk, you know?" The train coming in was the reason we were getting gone, after all, so it was only half a lie. "But the thing is, the money in the revival tent - you could retire on part of that. Now I can't take it today, and I sure can't take it on my own. Me and my gang, we've got too much of a reputation 'round these parts. But you, you could distract Senor Brady for long enough to snatch what we need, and then we'll divvy it up, five ways, and get you something extra maybe." From the other score. For what it was worth I kind of meant it, just because she had a ridiculous crush didn't mean the poor girl didn't deserve some sort of happiness. "I know, it's asking a lot, but we've got some days to get it ready - you'll help right? I'd be really grateful if you said you would." To my own chagrin, I kind of rubbed the back of her hand with my thumb as reassurance. She clung on tighter. Hopefully she didn't take the reassurance the wrong way.

Manipulating Jemma into agreeing to help with the score on the tent

2d6+1: 9 [2d6=3, 5]

I shutter to think, but what's it going to take to get her to agree?

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot. +2 | Cold. -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Drained
Location: The O'Donnell Funeral

Ah, here she comes. I give a little wave, before turning back to Miss Crawford.

"Well, I have some chores I need to be doing before dinner. Might as well get an early start. I do appreciate the help, Miss Crawford. Gosh, things were simpler back East..."

Using the string you gave James to offer Polly xp to actually ask Maple what she thinks of him.

Clearing out of there, I head back to the hotel. Sure enough, the first thing Pa asks me to do is clean the restaurant floor. While my body's on autopilot scrubbing on my hands and knees, I have plenty of time to think. Plenty of time to ponder how to handle tonight. I can't let that girl interfere with my life any more.

How can I get rid of Emmeline Hardison's infatuation with me?

Krysmbot Jolinaxas, 7+1 = 8, I'll go with lucid, but draining.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 0/4 XP 2/5 Conditions:Sapphic
Location: Outside the Bank


I feel all fluttery inside as Michael smiles at me. The poor man. The poor man.

"Of course!"I say,and my voice squeaks. I cough. "Of course, I'll help," I say gravely. "I'm sure your mother is fine. These type of things can be very difficult to do by yourself,and perhaps she just got overwhelmed." A touch daringly, I pat his hand, to comfort him. "I'll be back in a moment."

On my way to the undertaker's, I spot Serena and one of the ladies of ill repute walking into the revival tent. That's... odd. And unlikely. At any other time I'd run after them, but the O'Donnel family takes precedence.

I head to the undertaker's and knock on the door. Nobody answers, so I slip inside. Perhaps he's working with the... shudder... body. "Cooee? Anyone home?" I peer around the front office. I'm not snooping; this is legitimate business.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions Nosy

I had a lot of good starts of stories. And that's what really was the money maker. Something juicy to follow up on next issue. Mystery is always the most compelling. And the readers always have more interesting ideas of what is really happening than what is really happening. So I figured I'd snoop for a bit more trails and follow the one with the most promise when I ran out candidates. I kept the good Mrs Temple in the corner of my eye whenever i could. She was only ever in the paper with *ahem* assistance by me. Like when I sent Jemma her way. One of these days she's going to slip up and it's going to be solid gold. I saw her scoot off after chatting up the drunk. And my nose tingled. I smelled a scoop!

I followed after her. She ended up heading to the undertaker. Oh boy. What interest does she have in the body? Was she involved? I giggle and scribble notes as I think of the possibilities.

hold steady 5 sneaky giggles

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions: Sapphic

I'll take the XP, to be applied when I ask.

Oh, golly! There's Miss Maple! She looks like she's on the trail of a story, but I reckon she might not mind if'n I follow along a bit. I sneak up alongside her and tap her shoulder, keeping sure to be quiet.

"Howdy, Miss Maple. Whatcha up to today?"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions Nosy

I jumped and dropped my pencil. "Oh my, Polly. You sure scared me. I was just absorbed in sniffing out a good lead." I whisper to her, "Why would the good Mrs. Temple be interested in the body, huh? Well I reckon I want to know." I grin. "Well what are you doing here anyway? Did the hootenanny die already?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 2/5 Conditions: Sapphic

"Yeah, it's dyin' down. Food's all eaten an' everyone's goin' back home. It's actually good that I gotcha here. Hope ya don't mind if I ask ya a question. Ya see, James was wonderin' whatcha think of him. I think he might have eyes on you."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions Nosy

"James?" I bend down to pick up my pen, then have the sense to squat down when I remember there's a person behind me. "He's alright I reckon. But a bit boring." I grin. "You agree boys can be boring, don't you? You're always in Mrs Temple's shadow, know any dirt on her?"

Turn on. 2+4 from sapphic and firestarter. SIGH. Spending string to make it 7

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at Jun 30, 2015 around 03:17

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 2/5 Conditions: Sapphic

I'll promise to get you some dirt on Abigail

Oh gosh, I think I'm gettin' the vapors. Is Miss Maple sayin' what I think she's sayin'? No, I can't have these thoughts. Miss Abigail said they were wrong. However, I am curious 'bout what she's doin' at the undertaker.

"Oh nothin', jes' some nonsense 'bout likin' girls. But that's ridiculous, she's a married woman an' a woman of God. Ain't no stock in that. Ain't got no idea why she'd be at the undertaker's, though. Ya think I should go an' ask her? She might get 'spicious if she sees ya, knowin' you."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions Nosy

"Sure sure, that's great." I lean in and rest my elbow on her shoulder. "Yeah yeah, married. Ever met Mr. Temple?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 2/5 Conditions: Sapphic

"Well, no. Miss Abigail says he's out east. She don't really like to talk 'bout him, though."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions Nosy

"Oh hmm yes. A likely story. So why is he definitely existing all the way over yonder?" I laugh. "Oh forget that stick in the mud anyway. She just won't admit how to have a good time, right? Why do you follow a kill joy like her anyway." I flash a predatory grin. "Now with me it's always excitement." I lift my elbow and wrap my arm around Polly's shoulder. It would sure burn Abigail good to have her little pet follow me I'm sure.

turn on 3+4 these rolls.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 3/5 Conditions: Sapphic

Get a string!

OH GOSH OH GOLLY GEE TARNATION WHILLIKERS SHUCKS AND GADZOOKS.

"W-Well, Miss Abigail is really nice an' she's always considerate. An' she's really smart.....This.....This ain't right, Miss Maple. Miss Abigail says this is wrong, an' I got a date with Mr. Pierre...I can't do this, Miss Maple. We gotta stop."

SHUT THIS DOWN: 8
Gonna give you the condition Snubbed.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Polly, wow, that sure was somethin' huh? Do you think that if you could show Miss Abigale how that feels, she might change her mind? Still, it's not like you can decide right now, because, as if right on cue...

Maple, while you're giving Polly guff, a rough hand snatches your notebook out of your grasp. A mocking voice says, "Well, lookie here. Two girlies sneaking off and spying. What a shame..." Deputy Mayor Adam Worthy shakes his head in faux-disappointment as he starts to flip through your notes, Polly.

In addition to the notes you've been writing for this latest issue, what secret is in your notes that you don't want him to see? What do you do?

Oh, ah, just wondering. Have you ever been with anyone before? If so, were they here or back in your patron's domain?

Abigail, as you make your way through the dark building, you hear ragged breathing and a choked sobbing coming from the back. As you peek you head around the corner, you see Mrs. O'Donnel clutching her knees and sitting against the wall, wracked with sobs. But, she's smiling too...

That's... odd, to be sure. You do notice an empty liquor bottle at her side, so maybe that explains it?

You look over your shoulder as you hear a bit of a commotion outside and spot Maple and Polly outside. Maple's getting a bit handsy with Polly, but the Deputy Mayor interrupts them and snatches the notebook from Maple's hand. What do you do?

James, since your father knows that you're going to cut work this evening, he gives you a host of draining chores. Washing all the dishes and plates, peeling potatoes for the stew that evening, sweeping the ground floor. At least it gives you plenty of time to think. And the easiest way to get rid of would be to do something so hurtful and offensive that she wouldn't want to spend time with you. Like... publicly humiliate her or something. It'd even give Miss Mable another reason to talk to you...

But, if that's too hard, you could always try and get a different guy wooing her. But, since she appears to like men who play hard to get, it'd have to be someone already hitched...

What do you do?

Serena, her eyes go wide at the idea of you leaving down, but then she gives you a smile. She says, "Oh... I get it. You're..." She stops short, looking around before very quietly saying, "bandits!" She's somehow even more impressed and infatuated with you. She gets more excited as she realizes what you'rs asking and says, "Oh, oh! You want me to be part of your band! I can do that! I won't tell anyone! And then when you leave town, I can come with you, right?"

What do you do?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 2/5, Conditions: Hiding Something

"Ai, madre de dios..." I mutter as she jumps to her conclusion. That wasn't what I was suggesting, at all! A little lilly white saloon girl part of the Ortega gang? Hardly! I wasn't joking when I told her that we were more comfortable outside of civilization than in it - we weren't exactly the sort of people to rest on our laurels.

"...Ok." I agreed. She could feel free to think what she wanted to think, of course. So long as she kept her mouth shut and did exactly what I told her to think then I could handle her thinking she was a hard-rear end bandida for the next few days. Fat chance of her coming with us for real, for real, but maybe I'd give her a few days in the saddle and see how she'd do. I try not to judge books by their covers - even if this book had that fancy gold filigree and a velvet bookmark. Not the sort of thing to take on the trail with you unless you wanted to ruin it.

But sometimes ruining people was it's own reward so. "Here's how it's going to go down, Jemma." I shot Ramirez a look, mostly a 'don't you dare laugh' look, but also a 'because we'll laugh about it later together' look. "Until Wednesday, all you need to do is talk up senor Brady until he trusts you. Just keep doing that, it doesn't matter what the excuse is. Maybe you're trying to find religion or whatever. I just want him to take you in his strict confidence by then, because wednesday night you need to get him away from the tent on my say-so until I give the signal. I'll whistle, ok?"

She nods, I continue. "Once that's done, you'll get yourself packed and meet us at the edge of town and we'll all take off." I force a charming smile to my face. "Then the real fun'll start, my little chica." For me and the gang, anyway. Might not be too fun for her but she didn't need to know that.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 1/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

"Wrong? Miss Polly I have no idea what you're talking about? My my, what conclusions are you jumping to?" I cackle. "Something on your mind?"

Then Adam snatched my notebook. What a rude thing to do. I swipe at it to take it back. "Hey I need that more my work!" I don't want him reading that. I make reference to Shameimaru in there and I don't want to have to explain her. Oh no that's also the notebook I scribbled some poems in I really don't want him looking at it. I drat near tackle him trying to get it back.

A few of those poems are for Shameimaru. Her affection is always so intense, I feel silly just thinking about it. Course it's not like we're an item or anything. I haven't broken the seal with anyone 'suppose you could say. I was bit amorous with others that became animals in Shameimaru's realm but that was a means to an end. So was all my flirtin here too. I haven't gotten farther than a kiss, but I made up for it in quantity.

Polly gets projecting

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 0/4 XP 2/5 Conditions:Sapphic
Location: Outside the Bank

Oh, Mrs. O'Donnell. It breaks my heart. Despite what some people will say, I'm not a monster. I may be against drinking, but even I recognize the need when things hurt that bad.

I hear the commotion outside. I'm torn between wanting to help Mrs. O'Donnell and wanting to confront the Deputy Mayor. I glance at Mrs. O'Donnell. She isn't going anywhere, and she has no more at hand to drink. I can leave it, for a moment.

I slip back outside, shutting the door behind me. The mayor and that Maple girl are batting and pawing and nearly rolling around on the ground over that notebook, so as I cross to Polly I step hard on Mr. Worthy's hand to make him let go.

"Are you alright?" I ask Polly.

lash out Physically: 2d6+1 8 he can have a string if he wants.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot. +2 | Cold. -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Drained
Location: The O'Donnell Funeral

Well, it wouldn't really do to set her on someone else. Not only would I not wish such a fate on my worst enemy, but she's clearly in it for the effort itself - my subtle overtures have been insufficient to dissuade her.

So I've got to make her hate me.

After the rest of the chores (and drat, I'm still so weary...), I washed up and started to put on that damned suit. I can't help but think this evening might not be so bad after all. Hey - if she could take a hint, I wouldn't have to be this cruel. This is all her fault.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 3/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Projecting

"Miss Abigail, I...I reckon I'm fine. Me an' Miss Maple were jus' talkin', an' Miss Maple was gettin' awful close ta me, an' then the Sheriff came an' started yellin' an' I dunno what ta do!"

As tears come to my eyes, I pull Miss Abigail into a hug so she don't have ta see me almost cry.

Succumb to the cute!
Turn on, with +1 from Sapphic: 5
Consarn it.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Serena: Ramirez struggles to keep a straight face, but fortunately, Jemma's wide eyes are only looking at you, excited grin evident on her face. She tries to be more serious as you give her her first "job," but the dreamy look on her face stays. When you're done, she gives you a wink and a kiss on the cheek, saying, "Don't you worry, honey. I'll have him wrapped 'round my little finger by tomorrow."

Polly:, while you're watching the scene unfurl, you spot a faint, silvery cloud trailing behind him. Looking closer, you see the cloud is a collection of ghostly wisps that occasionally coalesce into different faces. They whisper to you about the awful, awful murders that he committed and could not care less about. They want, no, DEMAND justice.

Maple:, as Abigail crushes the deputy mayor's hand underfoot, he yelps and drops the book. You snatch it back from the ground, but he yells, "Fine! Take your yellow love poetry back. Might as well go and live down with the rail workers, if'n you like 'em so much." Nursing his injured hand, he sulks off.

Abigail: The deputy mayor throws you such a hateful look as he stalks off that it catches you by surprise. You hear him muttering something about "Knew them folks were bein' unnatural with each other."
He'll take that string, of course.
When you return to undertaker's, Mrs. O'Donnell appears to made her escape. What frightening thing do you find that she left behind, though?

New Scene:

Maple: While you're tracking down leads, the one thing that keeps coming up over and over again is the rumor that Mr. O'Donnell was being unfaithful. Which narrows down the list of suspects considerably. There's whoever he was cheatin' with, the person he was cheatin' with's lover, or a member of his own family. Ain't too many other people who'd get that worked up over infidelity. And, it turns out that no one seen his wife at the funeral today.

On top of that, he was shot outside the Continental Hotel, and the owners have a reputation for keeping their trap shut about people sleeping around with each other. Now, one of the older O'Donnell boys is gonna be staying there tonight.

This many coincidences... just ain't a coincidence.

So, you find yourself looking into the fancy dinner room of the Hotel. James is all fancied up and sitting with a pretty girl at his table. His ma and pa are either cooking or bar-tending, respectively. You catch them throwing lots of interested looks his way when they think the couple aren't watching, though.

What do you do?

Abigail: What do you tell the O'Donnell family when you get back to them? Either way, Michael is very firm in refusing to leave town until he finds their mother. The eldest takes the rest of the clan back to the ranch, so they can get back to work the next day.

After they go to make their arrangements, the Doc's wife recruits you to help gather up the leftovers to be preserved for O'Donnell family. While you're working with her, what bothers you about the Doc's wife today? Also, while you're working, you begin to notice a dark haired gentleman (at least, you assume he is a gentleman from his appearance and bearing) that you've never seen in town before. He's making his way up and down Main Street, interrogating everyone he passes.

What do you do?

Polly: Where do you go to relax in town when you don't have any work to do? Wherever that is, you hear a sharply dressed man asking around if anyone's seen a missing person. He's getting a host of negative responses, and you catch a glimpse of the picture.

It's a few years younger, but the subject is undoubtedly Mrs. Abigail.

What do you do?

James, well, here it is. The moment of truth. She's looking nervous as she fiddles with her hair as the two of you sit down to eat. What gift did she bring that you really appreciate? During dinner, she's being very restrained from her normal, chatty self, instead offering sincere complements about the food and trying to prod you into talking about yourself by asking what kind of life you want, how work was today, that sort of thing. Oddly, you spot Miss Maple peeking into the dining room and her gaze settles on you for a second before it drifts to your parents.

So, what do you do?

Serena, you're free of Jemma for a bit, so you decide to head back to Main Street. How do you spend most of the day? Whatever it is, you're interrupted in the early evening when you spot a Pinkerton man (You've got a sixth sense for this sort of thing) stopping people in the street and showing them pictures.

What do you do?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 0/4 XP 2/5 Conditions:Sapphic
Location: Outside the Bank

I hug Polly back. What a sweet, angelic girl! I have this sudden, irresistible urge to.... rest my head in her lap. It would be sweet nepenthe, the laying down of every burden. It would be grace.

I don't tell her any of this, of course. It would be unseemly. Maybe she can read it in my face.

Back in the Undertaker's office, I find that Mrs. O'Donnell is gone. All that's left is her bottle and, sniffing it, I gasp. It smells like poppy tears! The bitter aroma of laudanum is unmistakable; I've seen the Good Doctor prescribe it before surgeries.

It only makes things worse when i show the bottle to Michael, afterward. Well, he asked, and I couldn't lie. He did not, he did not, take it well.

It seems like I only left things worse than I found them last night. So I'm feeling truly miserable when I agree to help Mrs. Dr. Armstrong with the leftovers. We barely talk to one another, on my part because of my queasy upset stomach, and on her part because her voice is incredibly hoarse. Has she been shouting? I start to inquire what's wrong when I see the strange man.

Oh.

Oh no.

It's happening again. A Pinkerton?

I lick my lips and glance at Mrs. Armstrong. "I need... I need to fetch something." I dart back to my chest in the revival tent and fumble under the deepest layers of clothing until I find it. It's wrapped in loose oilcloth, but even through that the shape is unmistakable, as is the weight. I shove it under my bustle -- say what you will about modern fashion, but I'd like to see one of those Reformed Dress ladies conceal something like this -- and hurry back to the leftovers table to continue helping Mrs. Armstrong, like i promised. . I'm done hiding. There's not that much West left to flee to.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 2/5, Conditions: Hiding Something


Most days, including this day, I just tried to keep cool and look like I was keeping everybody out of trouble. Town doesn't need a sheriff if there's a gang 'protecting' everybody, right? So it was here, at least most of the time. Most days I'd have Catherine and the boys with me but I had given them all jobs watching people which they were all off doing (Julius, his wife, and Jemma). Being solitary was a little weird, I'll admit, I'd never really done it before. Makes you think maybe three extra guns isn't sufficient.

Early part of the morning I head back to the saloon, then go get some water and some grub across the street in the afternoon, since I missed out on the funeral spread. I also spent an hour practicing my shooting - no sense in getting rusty after all. And then back into town, check up on the gang, and back to pretend patrolling.

Of course, it was about then I spotted the Pinkerton, which put me on edge immediately - for one thing, I didn't want to get spotted by the law without my backup around. For another thing, even if he wasn't here for me and mine I'm sure he'd take the opportunity to if he got a look at everything for too long.

The only real chance at everything not blowing up was to pretend to be the authority and make sure he saw me that way above everything else. So I spit and adjusted my gun belt, and approached him.

"Hola, senor! Can I help you with som'thin?" I called out to him as I crossed the street towards him, hand at my hip just in case he was after me, after all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 3/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Projecting

Th' sight of them ghosts ain't new ta me. Everybody wants justice, but what can I do? I'm jus' a reg'lar girl...I'll hafta be careful 'round the deputy an' see what I can do.

After that affair at the funeral, I go to the town square to get my head together. I mean, I got ta hug Miss Abigail! I plumb got my head in th' clouds! Th' man in th' suit snaps me outta it. This ain't good. That picture's most definitely Miss Abigail. She sure looked cute when she was younger. I think I heard her talkin' 'bout men in suits. After thinkin' fer a minute, I hand the picture back to him.

"I reckon I don't know who that is, sir."

I'll have ta tell Miss Abigail about this later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Drained
Location: The O'Donnell Funeral

If only Miss Hardison acted like this all the time - I could see myself not minding her company. The gift of a book is appreciated - the New York World's new World Almanac and Book of Facts*. She knows I like to keep myself appraised of what's going on outside of this little town. A peek while I put it aside under the bar revealed a large section on President Lincoln's assassination. I answer her questions plainly - I'm not certain what I'm after, and work was drudgery -before- I had to clean teeth and bloodstains off of the foyer floor. Of course, I only hint at the violence - we are at the dinner table, after all.

Still, she's not who I really have my eye on, so I'm of two minds as I wave to Miss Camime. I'm glad to see her, but what must she think of my taking dinner with Emmeline? I assume Miss Crawford did that favor for me, so if she's not here to call on me... well, I suppose she must be looking around for tidbits for the paper.

"I'll be sure to share your comments on the roast with Mother. I'm certain she'll appreciate them. Now let me ask you a question - if you don't mind. What do you see when you look at me? I'm not exactly proud to admit it, but I'm not what you'd call a man of God. Do you seek to rectify that? Is that it?"

*Technically a year early, heh.
Krysmbot Jolinaxas, 7-1 = 6. No Shutdown for me...

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at Jul 6, 2015 around 03:29

  • Locked thread