Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 2/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

Well well looks like James found himself a lady friend. More like had one found for him by the looks it. Polly said he was keen on me. And he does wave at me despite his lady friend. Well any journalist worth her salt independently confirms her information. I saunter up, figuring I'd have some fun after the sour end to the morning. "Well howdy James. Emmeline. James I just wanted you to know the story is coming along just fine. Maybe you can help me finish it? I could use a special interview when you're free."

turn on 7 moving in on someone else's turf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +1
Harm 0/4 XP 2/5 Conditions:Sapphic
Location: In the street

My heart is in my mouth as I watch the Pinkerton interview Polly, and I only partially relax when i see him go away without satisfaction. That means she lied. For me.

Just by being here, I'm leading the people who care for me into sin.

I can't allow this to go on. Stepping out from around the table, I stride into the street to stand in front of the Pinkerton.

"Were you looking for me, sir?" I demand, hands on my hips and butterflies in my stomach.

Abigail is confronting a Hunter when he comes out into the open, awarding her Integrity.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



James, Emmeline frowns at your declaration, unsure of what to make of the sudden change in the conversation. Taking care in choosing her words, she says, "I think you're a good, kind, and honest man. Even if you don't show up to the revival tent as often as you should, I doubt there's a person in town who'd question your morals." She knits her brow as she continues, treading onto even more unsure ground, "Also, I don't think that you mean to stay here, and neither do I. If you're gonna strike out, you'll need a good woman by your side, and I mean to be that woman." She's started to lean closer to you, unintentionally (?) giving you a better view of her cleavage.
She'll take a string.
She says, "But all I want right now is the chance to prove that I should be that woman."

Maple, you come in just as Emmeline is trying to show off the goods to James. She's a bit taken aback by your presense, but she tries to bear your intrusion with good grace, saying, "Oh, I don't think the interview needs to be so formal, no? Everyone already heard what he said happened, after all. News travels fast at a funeral." She sniffs a little, and adds, "Just dreadful, really. Even worse with all the rumors flying around about his family."

Abigail, the Pinkerton's face is momentarily motionless, but it screws up in concentration for a moment before he moves to rest his hand on his pistol. He says, "Well, ain't this a nice surprise. He reaches out to grab your arm to drag you back towards the worker camp and the train station nearby. You see a two more of them, one exiting a nearby building and the other crossing the street to try and cut off your escape. What do you do?

Polly, well, there's Mrs. Abigail. And there's more of those men trying to corner her! What do you do?

Serena, the Pinkerton flashes you a picture of a younger woman. Have you payed Mrs. Abigail enough mind to recognize that it's her? Either way, he says, "Have you seen this woma-" He suddenly stiffens and says, "Nevermind. I must be going." He leaves and walks out to the street, joining another nigh identical man as they both march towards Mrs. Abigail, who is already engaged with one of the men.

What do you do?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +1
Harm 0/4 XP 2/5 Conditions:Sapphic
Location: In the street

I wrinkle my nose in disgust as the Pinkerton puts his piggy hand on his revolver. My traitor heart is a fluttery thing caged in my chest, but my eyes and mind are clear as diamond. "Sir," I say coldly, "Whatever purposes my husband wishes to me me to upon my return, I am sure that he informed you that he requires me," I bite out the word, "intact. As such, you may as well remove your hand from your gun, as we both know you'll never use it on me."

I let him lay his hand on my arm, but lean away from him, so that he has to tug and pull and becomes off-balance. That's when I reach down and, in a regrettable swirl of crinoline and linen, produce the object secreted inside my bustle; a double-barreled Wells Fargo coach gun, its length further fore-shortened by the application of a steel saw. I hold the weapon between us, the twin barrels resting in the V created by the place where the Pinkerton's shirt slides beneath his vest.

"I, on the other hand, have no such compunctions," I say. "I advise you to tell your companions to back away. Now."

Shut Someone Down: 2d6+0 6 Oh well. Guess we're going to escalate.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 3/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Projecting

"Miss Abigail! You don't gotta do this! We can work this out!"

I run over to Miss Abigail and grab her shoulder, looking at her with so much worry.

"Please, Mister. We ain't tryin' ta do anyone no harm here. Jes' go away."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +1
Harm 0/4 XP 2/5 Conditions:Sapphic
Location: In the street

"Polly!" I gasp, blindsided by the girl. "Polly, get out of here! This is between my husband's men and myself." I suddenly feel real fear, not for myself but for her. Poor innocent girl doesn't realize what she's getting into.

I want to push her out of the way, but I'm out of arms. "Polly, you could get hurt. Get clear. I know what I'm doing," I plead.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 3/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Projecting

"I've dealt with thugs like him before, Miss Abigail, an' come out on top. I don't want them to take you away, Miss Abigail, I'd die!" That is, if I weren't already dead.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Drained
Location: The Continental Hotel

I'm not completely without perspective - many a man would gladly exchange places with me right now.

But these two, together, will be the death of me.

Take a string.

"When I'm free, after this, of course we can ta- I'm sorry, Miss Hardison, what rumors about my family, if you don't mind my asking?"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 3/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

I pull a chair up and sit down with a big grin. "Well alright, if I don't need a do a formal interview right now should be fine. I wanted to follow up on some rumors about the victim, speaking of rumors." I try not to look too excited at the sudden topic of conversation. Don't want to spook them out of continuing.

Speaking of rumors, still, Emmeline doesn't have too many following around herself. Oh sure she gives everyone the look but apparently that's just how she looks at people. A shame I could have had more fun with her if she was actually as interested as she seemed. I go through my notes to see if I have anything on her.

gaze Whats the deal with Emmeline 4

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Maple and James, Emmeline puts her hand over her mouth and flushes, then pats James' arm, saying, "Oh dear. I'm afraid I misspoke. I meant the rumors flying about the poor O'Donnell family." She adds, "It's a right shame how that man was sleeping around on his wife like that. I hear it made her turn to drink for solace." She shakes her head in disappointment as she continues, "He was a right awful man, but he didn't deserve to die, if only because of the heartache it's causing his family." She sighs, saying, "That poor Michael is on a tear through town, trying to find his Ma and figure out who shot his Pa. I hope she's sobered up by the time he finds her, and no one else gets hurt in the meantime."

James: you watch Maple glancing at Emmeline with hungry, searching eyes, and that's when it strikes you. Maple's attracted to women, and she's much more interested in Emmeline right now.

What do you do?

Maple, as you're flipping through your notes and giving Emmeline a glance every now and then, you come across a few of your more artistic sketches. Nothing fancy, just sometimes you let your mind wander while you're using that brush of yours. Things have been pretty boring recently, after all. Only really thing worth noting was the murder this morning. You really should try and spice things up. Everyone else would thank you for it, too. They can't be enjoying these doldrums any more than you are. As you come across your last sketch of her, you're about to close the notebook when you take another glance at Miss Emmeline. Is... that a tuft of black fur under her hair?

Emmeline turns to look at you and says, "So, what do you think about what happened last night, dear? Surely you've got a guess as to who did the dastardly crime. Maybe just a little preview for your loyal customers?" She's was one of the first people in town to subscribe to your paper...

What do you do?

Polly, you see the glint of steel flash between Abigail and the man as he snatches the gun out of her hand. A heavy hand on your shoulder starts to guide you away from the pair, saying, "This is a private affair. Don't you worry your pretty little head over it."

What do you do?

Abigail, the man stops for a second, but as you're distracted by Polly, he snatches the gun out of your hand, quick as a flash. In a single smooth motion, he spins it around and points it at your foot. Sneering, he says, "You overestimate your dear husband's concern. Bullet wounds heal, after all."
If you don't come quietly, he's going to put a bullet into your foot. It's gonna do a lot of harm, and running away is going to be.... difficult

What do you do?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 2/5, Conditions: Hiding Something

"Hey, I'm talkin' to...!" Aw hell, this was going to be a mess I realized as the man walked away, joined by similiarly dressed compatriots surrounding the girl.

I watched for a second as I watched Ms. Abigail get surrounded by these jokers. "Dios..." I muttered as I started after him.

So funny thing, while I was obviously a criminal and the sort of person to cause trouble, I didn't like it when other people made messes. Mostly because it'd draw attention, and a kidnapping by out-of-towners meant other people were going to come snooping around which I simply couldn't have for a few more days.

With none of my compadres around for backup, this could only get bad quick, but at the very least it'd be something to do and would make me look like a hero, I guess, which was better than being suspicious.

I pulled my six-shooter out of it's holster and aimed down at the back of the man crossing the street towards his fellows and pulled the trigger.

Only...nothing happened. I blinked and snapped the chamber open. Empty. Dammit Ramirez! Probably using the bullets in one of his stupid superstitious rituals.

Trying to shoot the Pinkerton dude!

http://orokos.com/roll/306963 Thanks orokos you piece of garbage....

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Drained
Location: The Continental Hotel

If "hard to get" is what Emmeline's after, maybe being a little accomodating will get her to back off some. I put my hand on hers.

"Ah, no, it's my mistake. Still a little on edge, you know how it is."

Krysmbot [#swampthings] Jolinaxas, 6+2 = 8

Subtly removing the hand as she starts to go over the rumors, I catch Maple's eyes on her. Well, I suppose with a town filled with men like, well, most of the ones who live here, with five teeth in their tobacco-stained mouths and no letters at all, it naturally follows that her options would be limited enough to have her chase mistakenly after her own sex, if only for a conversation that doesn't involve them staring at her open-jawed and drooling. Still, she'll see the light. I'm just the clever sort she's looking for - if only she'd recognize that...

"I'll admit - call it a touch morbid, but I'm interested in your theories as well. I just don't know how what happened actually happened, if you get my meaning. Doesn't make any sense. A gun that apparently makes no sound when fired - it's a bona fide puzzle."

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at Jul 8, 2015 around 20:38

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



James, she lets out a small jump as you place your hand on hers, she smiles and pats your hand tenderly as you withdraw it. Scooting a little closer to you, she turns and joins you to listen to Miss Maple.
Take a string

Serena, It's starting to get dark. Ritcher Smith and Jeanette Degrasse are walking arm in arm, and Brady Walker is headed back to his shop with a large, oddly shaped sack over his sholder. The three of them saw you draw you gun in the middle of the street and try to shoot someone. In the back, no less. They'll remember that, but right now, they're quickly getting out of the open. It's just you, the the girls, and the Pinkertons on the street right now.

What do you do?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 0/4 XP 3/5 Conditions:Sapphic
Location: In the street

The movements of the Pinkerton are too fast for me to follow, and to my embarrassment I find myself under the barrel of my own firearm. I start to tell him that the gun contains nothing more lethal than rock salt -- I learnt to my humble chagrin on the Mississippi that I cannot kill another even to save my own life -- but as this would only incline him the more to use it on me, I still my tongue. Earlier I had felt like Joan of Arc, awash in thhe righteous fury of martyrdom, but now that feeling has shrunk and blown apart like fog at noon. And, worse, Polly is here, and in danger.

I swallow. "I'll go with you. Just let her go." I turn, to look the Pinkerton in the eye, and see.... blood. Blood, pouring out of his mouth and running down his chin, staining his collar. Blood welling from his nostrils and leaking like tears from his eyes. The stigmata of violence. I open and close my mouth, gaping like a fish, and I'm aware of him staring at me through this bloody spectacle.

He is going to die, by violence. And right soon.

"P-polly," I croak. "Run. Run now."

Predictions: 2d6+1 7 The next person to Lash out Physically against this Pinkerton while Abigail is present will succeed as if they had rolled a 10.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 3/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Projecting

"Let me go! Miss Abigail, I ain't gonna leave ya! I'll never leave ya! I love you, Miss Abigail!" I struggle against the man holding me back, tears in my eyes. I wanna do something, but....what can I do? I'm jus' a normal girl. So I do th' only thing I can. I scream.

"HEEEEEEELP! SOMEONE HELP US!"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 3/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

It does seem dull despite everything. Maybe Jemma will pan out and I can have some fun, even if it has to be at her expense. Then I catch a glimpse of... something I'll need to be extra sure of somehow. I'll need to uh... take a closer look at Emmaline sometime. When I stop gawkin I remember the question.

"Well yeah yeah lots a rumors and even without me fanning the flames. And I figger it's a jilted lover. Not the Mrs. of the victim, mind you. How it was done is the real mystery though. No gun powder near the body. And quite a few shots for long range. I don't reckon anyone has a Gatling 'round here. And pushin' bullets into him is jus plain silly. Maybe sum sorta powderless gun? My my, it is an interesting mystery." I put my pencil to my chin.

"You sure you don't know who the victim was seein?"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 3/5, Conditions: Hiding Something

poo poo. Fuckingshitcocksuckingdiablo'sballsack!

Great, getting spotted is going to be ugly but gently caress it I'm the closest thing to the law in this town there was. I fish my lucky bullet out of my back pocket where I kept it, kissed it, and loaded it in the chamber and pulled back the hammer.

"OYE!! Retońos-polla! Back away from the pretty ladies or I'll put one between your eyes afore you can blink again, comprende!?" I shouted as I aimed down the sights, approaching to where I knew the sweet spot on my pistol was. I grinned madly - mutherfuckers made any sudden moves and I'd kill them, I had them dead to rights and I could feel it, I KNEW I had at least the first shot as sure as I knew I breathed air and drank water (well, whiskey and tequila). Okay so I only had the first shot cuz I only had the one bullet but these dead men didn't know that, did they?

"If you think I'm playing with you pendejos, I dare you to make a sudden move, I loving DARE YOU!"

Ok, going to try shutting down the Pinkertons first, just in case poo poo blows up.

2d6+1: 8 [2d6=6, 1] Ok that works.

I'll trade conditions. Let's make the Pinkertons "Yellow". And taking an xp for rolling cold

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at Jul 10, 2015 around 22:13

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2. | Cold -1. | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Drained
Location: The Continental Hotel

I take a bite of what's left of dinner and chew for a while.

I know who it is, and I've already told her I didn't. Honestly, the reputation of my parents' establishment doesn't really mean much to me once I'm out of this place. But I don't want to risk it for no gain; will it matter to her if I tell her, really? I suppose I could ask her not to mention my name, and hope that she agrees and follows through, but I can't offer such a deal with Miss Hardison present.

"I don't know, Miss Camime. Sorry - I can't tell people apart by the sounds their shoes make. I'm going to go fetch a fresh pot of coffee, do either of you need anything? I'll be back in a minute."

As I get up and head past Emmeline's field of view, I mouth "not here" to Maple and raise a thumb to ask if she understands.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



James, you can't even make it to the stairs without your mother intercepting you and saying, "What's going on over there? That... reporter just takes a seat and now you're leaving your date alone with her? What could be so important that you'd abandon that nice girl?"

What do you do?

Maple, as James walks off, Emmaline stares after him, eyes fluttering with infatuation. After a moment, she says, "He's such a wonderful man, isn't he?" She then turns back to you and says, "But, I'm sure your keen senses already picked up on that." She picks at her food a bit before asking, "So, how did you come to be so interested in being a newswoman, anyway?

Your unnaturally sharp hearing perks up, and you hear a cry for help coming from outside and up the street a ways. It sounds familiar, but you can't quite place it. No one else seems to reacto to it fhough..

What do you do?

Polly, as you holler at the top of your lungs, the street remains still for an unbearable moment. Then, thankfully, someone sticks their head around the door. It's Brady Walker, but he's looking quite unsure of what to do.

The face of the man holding you is impassive, but once Mrs Abigail is out of your line of sight, the man flings you to the ground in front of him. Still ignoring you, he turns to look at Serena.

There's a loud thunk as a smithing hammer lands next to you. Brady Walker looks at you and then wordlessly nods at the nearest Pinkerton. He is still hiding inside the building he ducked into.

What do you do?

Serena, The two Pinkertons unoccupied with Mrs. Abigail turn to look at you and, javing flung Miss Polly aside, they both reach for their guns. You still see Mrs Abigail's assailant dragging her down a nearby alley, but they're about to round the other corner. He yells to the two men, "I don't want to see hide or hair of her! Take care of business." What do you do?

They give you marked for death

Abigail, the man holding your gun jerks his head to the man holding Miss Polly, and the other Pinkerton effortlessly flings her aside. She's sprawled on the ground, but looks to be unharmed.

Your captor says, "I'm glad you saw reason, Mrs. Abigale. Now, let's-" That's when Miss Serena lets out her decleration. Cursing, the man drags you down the nearby alley, trying to position you between Serena and himself.

What do you do?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 3/5, Conditions: Hiding Something, Marked for Death

"Oye, not so fast puta!" I shout at the one attempting to drag Ms. Abigail off and fire at him, the bullet hitting him somewhere around his head or neck or shoulder, spinning him and Ms. Abigail around like a top. Only difference is she stayed standing and he fell over, leaking from the new hole he'd just earned. Hey, I warned him, right?

I'll lash out Physically at the Pinkerton trying to drag Abigail off, and use her Prophecy to succeed with a 10. I'll declare that the Harm is great and deal 2 harm (plus whatever extra the gun does if any)

Of course, that leaves me in a precarious sort of position, with no bullets and a couple of angry hombres pointing lead at me, so I shout, angrily at them, hoping to throw them off balance the yellow cowards, and then dive off to the side out of their lines of fire.

Ok lets just, uh, run away from inevitable death here, now. +1 comes from their Yellow condition.

<LifeGetsWorser> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> LifeGetsWorser, 7+1 = 8

Well I did just fire a gun in the middle of the streets, so, let's make that causing a big scene, shall we?


Stupid Ramirez stealing my bullets, I ought to put one in each of his thieving hands if he wants them so bad - is he TRYING to get me killed or something?

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at Jul 10, 2015 around 22:14

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2. | Cold -1. | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Drained
Location: The Continental Hotel

And, of course, Mother has some kind of silly vested interest in this whole thing. As if she married my father to fulfill some kind of crude, almost tribal exchange regarding cheap carpentry. The gall of this woman...

"I'm getting some coffee for us, Mother. I didn't see you or Pa in sight, so I figured I'd get it myself. I know Miss Camime is intruding, but what would you have me do? Beat her away with a stick? If you've been watching like a hawk, as I suppose you have, you'd note that her appearance hasn't done anything to cool Miss Hardison's affection for me. I'm just being polite, and the ladies would like some coffee, seeing as how we're a bit young for after-dinner aperti-"

Wait - was that a gunshot? I break off mid-sentence and run back to the dining room to make sure no one's been hurt.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 3/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

Figure it's okay to give credit where it's due. I'll just skip the details like I was a dog. "Oh I owe it to my muse Sh-" My canine ears twitch. "A scoop!" I knock my chair over getting out of it in my rush.

I get there just in time to see the man gunned down. The hard rear end just saved the señoritas from a big scary man. I flap my hands and squeal. What a story! I knew she had a hidden soft spot. Shameimaru loves stories like this. If it turns out she's charmed by someone and a complete role reversal I'm going to get so much petting for this scoop.

drat I wish I could have an instant camera for moments like this.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 0/4 XP 3/5 Conditions:Sapphic
Location: In an alley

Gunshots. Blood.

I scream involuntarily, and nearly faint. My vision blurs and fades. My exalted ancestors must be sneering at me from the Throne Eternal; so much for the blood of saints. But maybe it is true, because even as my brain freezes, my hands are scrambling at the Pinkerton and I wrest my gun back from his frozen fingers. I can't tell if he's alive or dead, but there's still an armed Pinkerton standing over Polly and right now that has my full attention.

I spin, raising the gun to my shoulder the way the man who gave it to me showed me, pull one of the two triggers, and go immediately deaf. The back of the Pinkerton's coat puckers and dimples and shreds of fabric fly from dozens and dozens of tiny wounds. It knocks him half off his feet. Part of his coat catches fire. Oh my! Now I see why firearms hold such appeal to ne'erdowells.

He will live. Last week I loaded each shell with an admixture of rock salt, luciferous sulfur, granulated iodide, and the corns from the pepper of Cayenne. The bible admonishes killing, but is curiously silent on the subject of howling agony.

Shooting the pinkerton standing over polly with rock salt+ Lash out physically: 2d6+1 9, or 10 if Yellow applies. If so, +1 Harm, if not, they can deal 1 free damage to Abby.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Polly: The hammer is staring back at you from the ground when the man standing over you falls to one knee, screaming in agony. You catch a glimpse of his panic fills his eyes before he stumbles back to his feet, gun discarded next to you. He lunges past you and just runs, slamming Miss Abigail into a nearby wall to get her out of the way so he can keep running away from the fight.

The other man standing near you means to shoot Miss Serena dead.

What do you do?

Serena, the last standing man is drawing a bead on you, apparently unperturbed by the fate of his fellows. You can see his other hand ready to draw his second gun, as he gets ready to deal out a lethal shot.

What do you do?

Maple, You watch all of this unfolding, but you also catch the whiff of dissipating magic on the wind. It smells similar to Shameimaru's, but you're familiar enough with that scent to note some key differences. What are the differences, anyway?

What do you do?

Abigail, thrown to the ground by the fleeing Pinkerton, you stare into the bloody face of the man next to you. Still, there's one man left, standing over Maple while he's reaching for his gun while also aiming at your rescuer.

What do you do?
Take a harm. Nothing Abigail did took advantage of the fact that the Pinkertons are cowards, unfortunately...

James, you make it into the dining room just in time to catch Maple run from the room and out the front door. Miss Emmeline looks distressed and quickly attaches herself to your arm, saying, "I... I don't know what happened." Refusing to let go, she pleads with you, "Please don't go out there! Let the sheriff handle it!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 3/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Projecting

I look at the gun the man dropped, then to the fella threatenin' Miss Serena.

What can I do?

What can I do?

I've been saying that too much. This is what I can do. I pick up the gun.

"STOP IT!"

I raise it and fire.

Lashing out!
it's a 2
OH NO

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 3/5, Conditions: Hiding Something, Marked for Death, Terrified

Madre de dios, this was gonna suck. Had to think fast - I grabbed a rock and hurled it at the rear end in a top hat staring down a barrel at me; didn't much matter if it hit, just so long as it made him flinch.

Per Capfalcon, this is a Hold Steady

2d6+1: 7 [2d6=4, 2]

I'll exchange 'Marked for Death' for 'Terrified'


The rock bounces off the end of his pistol, jerking it to the left suddenly, but I'm too busy making a mad dash across the street right at him to notice. I could feel my heart pounding away in my throat, but I roared in what I hope sounded rage anyway - hopefully he'd be off balance enough to panic, and not able to correct his aim. I dived into his midsection and tackled him to the ground with me.

And I'm going to complete 'Serena's Horrible Day' by charging a dude trying to get me dead.

2d6+1: 9 [2d6=5, 3]

I will choose to do 1 harm to him and let him get a string on me. Tagged Yellow for that +1

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at Jul 10, 2015 around 22:14

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Polly, your grip is shaky and the recoil rocks you back onto your butt as you struggle to sit up. You do see Serena stumble and fall as the bullet catches her in the leg

Serena, a burning sensation in your thigh causes you to stumble and ruin your charge, and you more crash into the the Pinkerton than tackle him.

That crazy ghost shot you instead! AND now you're wrestling with the Pinkerton with a bullet hole in your leg.
Take two harm.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 2/4, XP: 3/5, Conditions: Hiding Something, Terrified

"MIERDA!" I curse as I tumble headlong into the Pinkerton. No time to deal with the fact that Polly decided it'd be best to shoot the woman trying to save her stupid hide; cos if I did I was for sure going to end up like her, anyway!

"Estúpida chica muerta!" I grunt as I roll in the dirt with the man, managing to get on top of him for at least a moment and take a swing at his face, trying to lay him flat. My cursing, was, of course, aimed at Polly though. "Hazlo una más tiempo de mierda y usted va a terminar de nuevo en el suelo!" Did she speak Spanish? Who the gently caress cared! She shot me in the thigh! At the very least my angry Spanish ranting looked to be making the rear end in a top hat who had INTENDED to shoot me nervous. Good. At least there was something going right here.

Momma said knock you out!

2d6+1: 8 [2d6=1, 6]

He can have another harm and another string! Tagged Yellow for +1 again


My fist connects with his jaw and I hear, and feel, the crack as something breaks in his mouth. This line was for him, of course. "Eso es gilipollas derecha, comer esos putos dientes!"

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at Jul 10, 2015 around 22:14

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2. | Cold -1. | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Drained
Location: The Continental Hotel

But Maple's out there with bullets flying around!

"Em, I need you to get behind the kegs over there near the bar. I need to go make sure everything's all right."

I push through the dining room doors and give the foyer a quick look-around before heading out the front door onto the porch. I see some folks tussling around, but no guns, at least not that I can make out from this distance.

"Maple, what the hell's going on? I heard gunfire! Is anyone shot?"

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at Jul 10, 2015 around 22:10

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 3/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Projecting

"OH NO SORRY SORRY SORRY I WAS JUS' TRYIN' TA HELP OH NO!" I toss the gun away and clamber over to Miss Abigail, checking to see if she's okay.

"Miss Abigail, are you okay? Oh no, I done did a bad thing....I'm sorry, Miss Abigail...."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 1/4 XP 3/5 Conditions: Sapphic
Location: In an alley

After I wound the Pinkerton with my coach gun, the curr cuffs me and I fall back against the wall, hard. So it is that I only hear and do not see the ensuing violence violence; gunshots, and screams, and angry, rapid-fire Spanish. Then Polly, dear Polly, appears over me like an angel.

"I'm all right, Polly," I shout over the ongoing struggle. I grab her arm and let her pull me up. The other end of the alley is clear. I decide to run for it. Tugging Polly after me, I raise the shotgun and fire wildly behind me, emptying the other barrel and causing a shower of angry debris to fall out of the daub plaster wall next to us, which makes everyone flinch long enough for us to round the corner, still running. I don't stop until I get the two of us somewhere safe, and quiet.

Run Away: 2d6+1+1 8 Choosing to Cause a Big(ger) Scene.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 0 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 3/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Projecting

"Miss Abigail! Wait up!" Miss Abigail plum went off like a train, draggin' me along. I wince as she shoots her shotgun and get a glimpse of Miss Serena givin' me the nastiest look as we get away.

Running away got a 7, and the scariest person to Polly there now is probably Serena, so enjoy that string.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 3/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

"They sure are now!" I laugh as the gun fight plays out in its haphazard glory. "Couldn't tell ya what caused it. I'll need to conduct an interview!" I grin from ear to ear.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Polly and Abigail, Abigail, you duck into the first open door you come across, and it appears to be a storage room for used barrels and such. The room is dark, damp, and cool. A refreshing change of pace from the heat of the day outside. No telling who owns it, but no one seemed to have followed you.

There's a bit of blood running from Abigail's busted lip, and her skirt is filled with the dust from her fall.

What do you do?

Street Brawl: Well, Serena and the Pinkerton are rolling around in the dust of the road right now, each trying to get better hold on the other.

Maple and James are standing nearby, gawking.

What do you do?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 1/4 XP 4/5 Conditions: Sapphic
Location: In a storage room

I pull Polly into the storage room and shut the door, leaning against it will taking deep breaths. With numb fingers I work the... I don't know what you call it, the thing that opens the gun... and pull two more shells out of the vicinity of my bustle and reload. If the Pinkertons pursue us, we're in trouble, but I don't think they have the guts. I lick my lip, tasting salt, and shudder. Blood.

Then I remember Polly. Sweet, innocent Polly, who tried to help, even though it had nothing to do with her. And the bandita I remember vaguely, she tried to help too. Out of the goodness of her heart? Perhaps I have been to harsh in my judgments.

But such thoughts are just drifts of cloud through my head as I examine Polly. "Are you hurt?" I ask her. "Were you shot?" I go to her, grasping her arm to take her pulse, checking all over with my eyes. "I'm so sorry. I never meant to drag you into this." I can't tell if her heart is pounding, or my own; I can't seem to stop breathing hard.

Tagging Sapphic to Turn Polly On: 2d6+2 10

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 2/4, XP: 3/5, Conditions: Hiding Something, Terrified

With a snarl I tossed the Pinkerton's hands off of my shoulders as he tried to recover from the fist to his face, but I wasn't going to let him get his wits back about him.

I put my hands around his throat and I squeezed. I squeezed as hard as I could and I watched his eyes go wide with terror and felt as his jerking around underneath me slowed down and stopped.


Lashing out at the Pinkerton, tagging Yellow for +1

<LifeGetsWorser> make with the punching!
<LifeGetsWorser> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> LifeGetsWorser, 9+1 = 10

I uh, I don't think it really matters what I pick here, but let's say the harm is great because Serena would make sure.


Finally, his eyes rolled up in his head but I didn't stop for another twenty seconds. I counted, under my breath. Helpfully, that also let me catch it.

"MOTHERFUCKER!" I swore as I rolled off of him, feeling the bullet throbbing in my thigh finally as the adrenaline slowed down. I pried the gun out of his hands and the other one off of his belt. "poo poo, cocksucker..." I stumbled to my feet, with a roar of pain. Getting shot in the thigh was bad news. Wouldn't kill you right away but it sure made running next to impossible. Still, I'd had worse. Catherine, Ramirez, and Garcia were going to get a talking to I assure you. What good was a gang if they didn't show up for a firefight!?

Nevertheless, I wasn't going to go through all of this and then NOT make sure Temple wasn't dead or kidnapped or whatever. So I holstered one of the pistols, and I kept a grip on the other one. These Pinkertons better have quality pieces; just in case there were more of them I wasn't about to throw more punches in another firefight. Honestly, surprised I wasn't MORE shot.

"SENORA TEMPLE!!!" I shouted hoarsely. A lot of yelling and swearing. "It's SAFE! THE FUCKERS ARE DEAD!" Just come out dammit, I didn't have time for this. I staggered off towards where I last saw them run off.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2. | Cold -1. | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Drained
Location: The Continental Hotel

As the ruckus dies down, I breathe a sigh of relief, even if there's even more blood staining the dirt outside our hotel.

"I think it's over? Hey - come by in a bit, after you're done checking everything out. I wanted to talk with you about something I heard that night."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 3/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

I whip around to smile at James. "Serena doesn't seem inclined to give an interview at the moment. What was it you wanted to tell me?" I take him by the hand and lead him back into the hotel.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2. | Cold -1. | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Drained
Location: The Continental Hotel

"Hold up."

I stop us short at the door.

"There's a reason I wanted to meet outside. Listen - I can tell you who visited O'Donnell last night. I know you're gonna print it; I wouldn't expect anything else. All I ask is that you don't say who told you. Maybe even put something in about how the inn staff were frustratingly tight-lipped, yeah?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Serena, Maple and James stand outside the hotel, talking, while you're shouting in the street. A moment later, Catherine comes running up, and seeing the blood on your leg, blanches for a moment. She doesn't hesitate to offer you her shoulder to lean on and say, "What happened? How badly are you hurt?"

Garcia is running up the street, half carrying Jemma along with him.. Ramirez, though, is nowhere to be found.

What do you do?

Maple and James, as you stand outside the hotel lobby, Emmeline peeks out the door and then flings herself onto James, pinning his arms to the side in a shockingly strong hug. She's crying and says, "Oh, James! I was so worried! But, that was so heroic, going out after your friend here!" She looks up throws her other arm around Maple, adding, "And you too, Maple! The way you ran out there to see what was going on was so... so fearless! Still, I'm just happy that you're both safe! What happened?"

  • Locked thread