Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«6 »
  • Locked thread
Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Suspicious
Location: Town

I didn't know Maple knew so many people in town. Ones that hadn't taken issue with her paper, at least.

"That's very kind of you. A shame to hear that they're in a bad way. If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

"They might want a room in the future." I laugh. "I don't want any of my readers skipping town. Not when they're interesting."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Suspicious
Location: Town

"You ask for the one thing I can't deliver, unfortunately. Neither of them fancy a drink, do they?"

C'mon James, you can do it...

"Anyway, I was wondering if you'd be in town for the hoedown tonight. I... well, I've been meaning to ask you to go with me for a bit, but as you say, we've all got these very interesting lives we're leading. They say there's a Chinaman's curse that goes something like that."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

"Sure why not?" I shrug. "I'm not going with anyone else."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Suspicious
Location: Town

Keep it together, James...

"E-excellent. Should we meet there? Actually, come to think of it, I have no idea where you're staying in town. Never thought to ask, I suppose."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

"Oh I have my own place at the west edge of town." Funny story how I got it, which no one needs to ever know. "I'm usually very busy when I'm home though." Can't have anyone just letting themselves in.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Terrified

Miss Maple's friend was unlike anyone I'd ever met before, even in the spirit world. Even if I'm dead, it's a normal human instinct to be 'fraid 'a somethin' like that. But....bein' in a room together with Miss Abigail...I was the happiest I'd been in a plumb while! But Miss Shameemaroo wants me ta give somethin' up....I ain't really got much to give up as is, so that's got me worried.

To be honest, I had plumb forgotten 'bout the ghost I promised to help. I don't want anythin' bad to happen to the O'Donnels...I should pay them a visit later...

But as I was thinkin' about that, Mr. Whithouse was in front 'a me. That's right, we never got ta handle that business. Still seems mighty suspicious knowin' my daddy, though.

"You'll have ta forgive me, Mr. Whithouse, but I ain't got much of a head for finances. What exactly is the problem?"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious
Location: Town

"Yes, I'm sure you would be. The paper doesn't write itself, now does it?"

I still don't know where she prints it. Another question for later, rather than snatching defeat from the jaws of victory presently by seeming too nosy. I can't help but smile widely as I take one of her hands. I was such a fool to believe go-betweens like Miss Crawford were necessary.

Turn Someone On
Krysmbot Jolinaxas, 4+3 = 7. Many thanks, True Love bonus.


"Well, I suppose we'll meet at the 'hoedown' itself, then?"

Such a strange, country word...

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

"Sure... Unless you wanted to see my place right now. Soes you know how to find it, 'course. You'll make the night interesting for me, right? You know I need excitement in my life!" I laugh.

Turn on 9 Promising to show James her place.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious
Location: Town

An invitation to her home? A little improper, perhaps, but...

"You can count on it. The way things have been happening around me lately, I'm not sure I'd be able to help it if I wanted to. As to your home, I don't see why not. Are we leaving Miss Crawford and Mrs. Temple to their errands, then?"

Okay, that may have seemed a touch forward.

Take a string.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



James and Maple, as the two of you walk off towards Maple's, you leave the others to their doings.

Maple, as you enter your house, the fire roars even higher than when you brought Polly and Abigail. What's your place look like, anyhow? What other souvenir from your time abroad is out in the open?
What did you forget to hide?

What do you do

Polly and Abigail, the banker starts to tell Polly "tha' problem" and then sighs when Miss Abigail joins the conversation. He says, "Now, like I told you last time, your daddy didn't finish paying off the ranch. There's still 63 dollars left to be paid. Now, I'll be needing that by the end of the week or I'll have to foreclose."

He's prepared for you this time, Miss Abigail, and after checking with Miss Polly, produces the mortgage and receipts of payment. Notably, the two most recently scheduled payments are missing.

It seems fishy, but it's... possible that he's telling the truth. What do you do?

Serena, Ramirez just shakes his head as you relive all of that with him. He says, "Sure, miss, it was fun story to tell now, but I was afraid for my life at the time. And it wasn't like all of 'em paid well enough to risk it. Miss Serena, just what's wrong with settling down somewhere and getting an honest job, anyhow? The money's not as good, sure, but you're a lot more likely to get to spend it." You're taken aback by his arguement for a moment, and he gives a kind smile as he pats you on the shoulder.

Ramirez takes a string on you.

Later, Michael just stares at you as you and shakes his head, saying, "Just... letting the person who did it get away with it? I can't do that. Don't you have anyone you care about?"

He gives you stone cold

That's about when you hear the arguement between your inside man, Polly and Abigail.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 1/4 XP 4/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Suspicious
Location: Town

I pluck the financial documents from Mr. Whithouse's hands and stare at them. This doesn't seem right; the Crawfords' payments were on time... well, mostly on time... for several years, and then two months of absolute failure? That doesn't seem likely, unless some tragedy had befallen them even before their deaths. But I don't immediately see anything wrong. Not that I would; Whithouse is a banker, and has had time to prepare. It would take a true accountant to spot the ruse that quickly, not a girl with some bookkeeping tutoring. I chew on my lip. This will require more work than I can do just in this office.

I hesitate, glancing at Polly. Sixty three dollars is more than a girl like Polly can lay her hands on through any kind of honest work. And I barely have a handful of dollars to my name, except for... I glance down at my wedding ring. Except for that.

I look up at Mr Whithouse and decide to appeal to honest Christian charity. After all, Whithouse is a human being; there must be a good man down in their somewhere. "Please, Mr. Whithouse; be reasonable. Miss Crawford is a young woman, newly orphaned. You can't expect her to immediately begin making the kind of payments that two gown adults could make." I like my lips. "Surely there must be a way that we could make partial payments on her debt, to forestall foreclosure?" At least for long enough for me to get a better look at his books...


Abby thinks she is manipulating an NPC, but in fact she is inadvertently Turning Whithouse on: 2d6+1 7

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL"


Fun Shoe


Hot: +1 Cold: +1 Volatile: +0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 2/5, Conditions: Hiding Something, Terrified, Stone Cold

I keep thinking back to Ramirez...or what was left of him, anyway, and what I was going to do to that cabrone Doc when I got my hands around his neck, the whole time Michael was arguing against my doing anything about this for him. Of course I couldn't really...Whithouse was necessary, but, false hope was better than no hope, right?

"Okay, pepito, you're right. Sometimes revenge can help. I'll look into it for you, okay? Come see me Thursday morning, I'll have some answers for you by then." Maybe I would, somehow. Either way, I'd be long gone. "Just...don't go getting yourself into trouble in the meanwhile. Leave it to the professionals." I give him a playful wink. See, I wasn't all bad.

But Senora Temple and her spectre friend really needed to stop hassling my inside man. I frowned. "I'll talk to you later, if you'll excuse me, si?" I tipped my hat to him and walked over towards the argument, hands on my hips (but not near my pistol - probably wouldn't need it here.

"Senora Abigail, Senor Whithouse, the way you two are carrying on could wake the dead." I shoot the ghost a meaningful glance. "Now, why don't you both just ease up a bit and clue me in on what's going on?" I really had no time for this John Q. Law bullshit, I had a preacher to murder in cold blood - but I had to keep my image intact at least for a little while longer. Besides that, I had Abigail on my radar since our conversation when she was patching my leg up - there had to be more to her little story, and finding out what that was would be nice.

Shutting down Abigail, tagging Suspicious for +1

2d6+2: 8 [2d6=2, 4]

Let's lose strings on each other!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Terrified

"That sure is a lotta money, Mr. Whithouse. It don't seem much like my daddy to let payments like this slide. Even when he was out in Comstock, he made sure his payments were made. An' Miss Abigail's right, I couldn't make this much in a month, let alone a week."

A'course, I didn't really NEED the ranch that much anymore, given my ghostly situation. But only Miss Abigail and Maple knew that. I had ta keep up appearances.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

My cosy little shack is in, comfortably lived in. I rush in ahead of James to hide the special editions I have laying around. And then the scarves Shameimaru sent. Oh and the opalescent feather she left last time. And the dress I have just in case. Oh my I should have thought about this...
"Don't mind the mess! Make yourself at home!"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious
Location: Maple's Shack

A humble, but nice-looking place - from the outside. And as Maple seemed eager to run in ahead of me - likely to give some attempt at tidying the place up, I was similarly content to take my time. When I enter, I can hear the roar of a fire.

"My word. I'm surprised that you leave that on while you're in town - given that you'd have to cut your own wood..."

I dust off a chair while she finishes putting things away. I'm a little sure at how to proceed, honestly. Yesterday I'd have given my teeth for the opportunity, and yet I have no idea what to do.

"You certainly have a fancy for scarves. I suppose it does get a bit chilly at night sometimes. They're quite lovely."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions Nosy, snubbed

"Oh?" I laugh. Ugh it sounded a bit manic. "They're a gift from my publisher. She's only been here at night. When it's cold, like you said." I give another helpless laugh. I really need to clear out this mess regularly. I don't want anyone stumbling across the trappings of my lesser form. Or I could get a dog as a cover. Hmm no owning someone would be weird. "Are you hungry?"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious
Location: Maple's Shack

"From your publisher - she who only comes at night... well, I was unaware there was a woman who owned a press in these parts."

Hrm. No papers. Perhaps it's a preconceived notion - a stereotype if you will - but all the printers and writers I've called on could be said to take their lives into their own hands, such is the amount of papers, scraps and other various and flammable messes they keep.

"You ever think about going along the same lines? Maybe you'll make enough from selling issues to buy a press of your own. And sure, if it's not a bother. Had to take a light breakfast at dawn before I started on errands."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Abigail, Polly, and Serena, Poor Mr. Whithouse looks all flustered and says, "Well... I guess I could give you-I mean her- some extended payments plans. But I'll need at least twenty in cash to keep my boss happy." He glances over to Serena and tries to excuse himself from the conversation, saying, "Sorry, ladies, but that's the best I can do. I've got to get back to work."

Serena, the boy looks pretty happy when you tell him you'll help, by the way. As you exit, you pass a drunken Miss Emmaline lurching towards the back door.

James and Maple, the room is getting a lot hotter, what with that fire kicking up even higher than before.

Maple, you even spot a single eye glancing at you through the fire. It looks delighted with this current state of affairs.
James, you get the uncanny sensation that you're being watched.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Suspicious
Location: Maple's Shack

My hat in my hands, I give a quick eye to the doorway and any windows - but there's no one there. And what is she burning in that fire? It's almost sweltering in here.

"I'm sorry, Miss Camime - would you mind if I removed my coat? I'm not sure what it is, but it's getting fiercely hot in here..."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Hot +1 Cold +0 Volatile +1 Dark -1 Integrity +0
Harm 1/4 XP 4/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Suspicious
Location: Town


Twenty dollars!


But there doesn't seem to be any way around it. Hesitantly, I take Polly's hand. "Polly, dear. Can you think of any way to lay your hands on that sort of money?" I bite my lip. "Maybe if we go to the Good Doctor and lay the situation out of him, he could start up a charity drive. I know that you wouldn't want to accept charity, but... I can't think of an alternative that's better."

There is one last resort, but I don't want to consider it.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at Sep 14, 2015 around 12:48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes



Hot 1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions: Sapphic, Terrified

"I reckon I dunno. I could pull extra hours at the saloon, but that'd only do so much...An' considerin' our...reputation, I reckon the town might not have much of a charitable mind fer me."

I lower my head and sigh. This was a right kettle o' fish.

  • Locked thread
«6 »