Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i needed concentration, so i went home and tried to figure out a solution to some code related stuff, and i kept getting distracted. i finally came to the conclusion that my mind couldn't do poo poo today and i called up letting the office know i was at home trying to figure something out and i might be in later... fat chance

anyway i'm real depressed right now. it's almost like everyday i'm really pumped for programming, and today my mind just wanted to come up with any excuse to get any from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
go for a nice walk outside :)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

destroy your computer, quit your job, kill your parents, etc

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
ok op, i read that one. how is that failing big time? i honestly feel the good days are the ones where I'm responsible for the fact i didn't get any work done. cause usually some other idiot gets there first and then i have to work at it to get nothing done.

can't you just go to work and do some othe bullshit task instead? one where you don't have to think. i like to stare out the window at the railway and watch the trains go by.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

do something else, go outside, maybe even take a day off

recharge your batteries

then return to your desk, energized and prepared and still have no ideas and then crap out whatever dumb solution takes the least amount of time to implement

you can also do the last part first then dick around for the rest of the week

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
i spent three hours fighting a failed request because i passed the oauth credential in a header named 'authentication' instead of 'authorization'

then someone recommended a library for me for something else and i literally told them i was too stupid to understand it

poo poo happens, being a programmer is hard under the best of conditions. don't know if that's any consolation but you ain't alone by a long shot

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

stinch posted:

ok op, i read that one. how is that failing big time? i honestly feel the good days are the ones where I'm responsible for the fact i didn't get any work done. cause usually some other idiot gets there first and then i have to work at it to get nothing done.

can't you just go to work and do some othe bullshit task instead? one where you don't have to think. i like to stare out the window at the railway and watch the trains go by.

no, i have a set of tasks that are my own. giving them up to someone else is something i'd never do. bullshitting work i imagine will only make me weaker. i always want to know and do more

qirex posted:

do something else, go outside, maybe even take a day off

recharge your batteries

then return to your desk, energized and prepared and still have no ideas and then crap out whatever dumb solution takes the least amount of time to implement

you can also do the last part first then dick around for the rest of the week

i'm thinking of taking a vacation. i haven't had a real one in 3 years. i literally cannot stand being away from work, as it feels like i'm just wasting time. i've convinced myself by now that getting a good night sleep is "recharging your batteries" enough, but i'll chance it this time by seeing if i can take a week or two off

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

horse mans posted:

i spent three hours fighting a failed request because i passed the oauth credential in a header named 'authentication' instead of 'authorization'

then someone recommended a library for me for something else and i literally told them i was too stupid to understand it

poo poo happens, being a programmer is hard under the best of conditions. don't know if that's any consolation but you ain't alone by a long shot

yeah it's real loving hard, but rewarding as hell when you make something cool

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i'm thinking of taking a vacation. i haven't had a real one in 3 years. i literally cannot stand being away from work, as it feels like i'm just wasting time. i've convinced myself by now that getting a good night sleep is "recharging your batteries" enough, but i'll chance it this time by seeing if i can take a week or two off

go to tokyo for a week, eat a ramen, get drunk at gas panic

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i get all my work code solutions off stackoverflow

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

none of my code ever works so this is good for keeping me employed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you code for a job LP0? may I ask you what kind of keybaors you have

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

qirex posted:

2 years ago i was asked to do work in tokyo (VOIP dev) and i got so pumped! but didn't happen..
anyway i readied myself by looking into their customs, ethics, manners etc etc. if i complained about my life to someone like i am now, it's considered rude. i couldn't go into most convenience stores because they have signs that say "no foreigners!" it's not all fun and anime in japan

but yeah i should go there anyway. gas panic isn't really my type of place. it has way too much american music/culture in there, so it wouldn't feel like i'm going somewhere new. it sounds really stupid, but i hate when other countries are obsessed with american culture... just makes me sad. i hate how south korean woman get their beautiful eyelids snipped to look more "western"

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

echinopsis posted:

you code for a job LP0? may I ask you what kind of keybaors you have

yeah lol my boss got me a Model M style unicomp keyboard to use there as a gift. it's not the soft keys. it's loud as gently caress, so sometimes i'm afraid to type on it when things are quiet which is almost never

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You realized you weren't mentally stable enough for work today and called off rather than potentially gently caress up badly

congrats you are more responsible than the average police officer

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i code on a regular old dell keybaor that came with someone else's shitbox because im crippled without a 10key. feels like typing with a wet sponge. im failing at work every day

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

2 years ago i was asked to do work in tokyo (VOIP dev) and i got so pumped! but didn't happen..
anyway i readied myself by looking into their customs, ethics, manners etc etc. if i complained about my life to someone like i am now, it's considered rude. i couldn't go into most convenience stores because they have signs that say "no foreigners!" it's not all fun and anime in japan

but yeah i should go there anyway. gas panic isn't really my type of place. it has way too much american music/culture in there, so it wouldn't feel like i'm going somewhere new. it sounds really stupid, but i hate when other countries are obsessed with american culture... just makes me sad. i hate how south korean woman get their beautiful eyelids snipped to look more "western"

that was mostly a joke [gas panic totally sucks] but if you haven't taken any time off in 3 years that's A Problem I mean what's the point of working so drat much

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Jonny 290 posted:

You realized you weren't mentally stable enough for work today and called off rather than potentially gently caress up badly

i just hope some at work realize this. an accountant at work once told me that i should only record hours when i'm typing... lol gently caress that he has no idea

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

also if you don't speak japanese you'll feel plenty "distant" from where you're from despite their obsession with americana

it's probably the best place to have "an adventure" as an american without practicing slum tourism/cultural imperialism plus they have normal lte so your phone will work

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

lmao

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

BooLoo posted:

go for a nice walk outside :)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it's 101 degrees though with humidity so no thanks

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

travel might not be your "thing" but it's definitely mine

alternate idea: treat yo self

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
smoke a fatty blunt, that always makes me super curious about things.

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I'LL MAKE JOKES ABOUT RAPE.
You should suck on a big fat one.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

qirex posted:

that was mostly a joke [gas panic totally sucks] but if you haven't taken any time off in 3 years that's A Problem I mean what's the point of working so drat much

well one thing i really wanted to achieve in my life is doing something for work that i enjoy, and i do. that's the point

qirex posted:

travel might not be your "thing" but it's definitely mine

alternate idea: treat yo self

i'm like a skinny rubber band (skinny fat) that's about to snap

Stereotype posted:

smoke a fatty blunt, that always makes me super curious about things.

that makes me really dumb for at least two days afterward, but recently i did get extremely high and filmed video'd being high for some reason

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

or woman I work with who thinks going to work with pneumonia is noble and judges anyone who takes a sick day

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I suggest working less days in a week than you have off. maybe four. four days is reasonable. five is insanity and three is ideal

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fewer days

GoldenTeeth
Jun 3, 2013

I'm the pensive looking one on the left. That's me. I'm doing serious business in there. Look at me go.
it sounds like you need to take a real break and find something fun to do, even if it's just working on a personal project instead of a work one

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

or woman I work with who thinks going to work with pneumonia is noble and judges anyone who takes a sick day

every old man that does that lovely IVE NEVER MISSED A DAY OF WORK IN 67 YEARS HERE AT THE HARDWARE STORE. WATCH MY KIDS BEING BORN? gently caress THAT thing is a literal traitor to Labor and should be hung from a streetlight

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

Jack off to Marissa Meyer's yoga ball picture and post the cummed on print out of the Marissa Meyer yoga ball picture.

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

But for real OP. You should quit your job and go travelling. You can get ethiopian prostitutes fairly cheap in Africa.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
what you felt was your spirit rebelling against the soul and society-crushing despair that comes with programming and computer-related activities

what you need to do is find real work and Do Labor, you will find that your life has meaning once again and that you are contributing to the world rather than destroying it

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
do you own a bicycle op

i like riding a bicycle, the fresh air and literal distance is very helpful

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

imagine if we sought not to kill people, that would be swell.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stymie posted:

what you felt was your spirit rebelling against the soul and society-crushing despair that comes with programming and computer-related activities

what you need to do is find real work and Do Labor, you will find that your life has meaning once again and that you are contributing to the world rather than destroying it

once I saw a guy do labour, building a new office for somone to code in, and then go home and drink and watch TV to distract him from his broken body and poor income

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you say alcohol is a scourge but low incomes are associated with drug abuse so guess what way the causation is with labour and drinking

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

porter beer was invented for dock workers [porters] to have for breakfast so they could be drunk enough to not dwell on the fact that they were literally breaking their backs for a pittance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i just hope some at work realize this. an accountant at work once told me that i should only record hours when i'm typing... lol gently caress that he has no idea
lol gently caress people who think that way

• Locked thread