Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fionordequester posted:

Really, the question isn't why they overthrew her; the question is “why did they wait as long as they did” :raise: ?

:ohdear:

It's always nice to ask a question and then immediately get an answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Dr Pepper posted:

It's always nice to ask a question and then immediately get an answer.

Indeed. By the way, you guys probably know this, but I'll remind you just in case; making GIFs that look good and animate well is somewhat difficult when you're also trying to keep file sizes below 2048 kB. For anyone why I've been making so many crazy edits to the GIF's, that's why; otherwise you'd be getting GIFs that are only half the normal size, or are going at only 5 frames per second. Just so you know!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
By the way, one thing I should probably mention; bookofholsety has launched a Beta of his own translation path for this game here:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=63676&page=1

Be sure to check it out if you're interested in that kind of thing; the script as-is is still a little wordy for my tastes, but the general style he's going for is pretty cool! Reads just like an official localization!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright guys, update should come either today or tomorrow! But in the meantime, a choice screen from bookofholsety's new translation:

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I don't know if it says more about the game or the fans that people are still making translations, but it is impressive either way. In terms of story, this game has definitely aged the best, it actually seems more modern than the later Fire Emblems.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hiya, fellow Grandbellians, and welcome to Let's Max Rank Fire Emblem 4! Before we really get into it, let's see how they all function as units!

Level 12 Sniper (promoted class)

HP: 40 (90%) Spd: 21 (20%)
Str: 20 (30%) Lck: 7 (70%)
Mag: 0 (20%) Def: 14 (20%)
Skl: 22 (30%) Res: 9 (5%)

Move: 6
Weapon Ranks: Bows (*)
Promotion Bonuses: N/A
Items: Steel Bow
Skill: Pursuit
Holy Blood: Major Ulir

Awesome; this woman is just plain awesome. It's not just that her base stats are ludicrously high; she's also going to be getting a Holy Weapon this very chapter, one that gives +10 Str, +10 Spd, and even the Live skill! Unfortunately, said Holy Weapon has 13 WT instead of 8, so Brigid's AS ends up being 18 instead of 23; but it matters not. She still probably won't be outsped by anyone she fights, and she'll be getting 60+ MT with that Holy Weapon in action.

In conclusion, she's not broken the same way Sigurd is, but she's still beats most other foot units. And if I had to compare her to a DBZ character...well, we're kind of running out of strong fighters, so she'd be Pikkon! She's not in the same league as Sigurd, Levin, and Cuan, but she's still pretty clearly above 90% of the other fighters that our heroes have come across.

Level 20 High Priest (promoted class)

HP: 34 (70%) Spd: 15 (30%)
Str: 0 (10%) Lck: 9 (50%)
Mag: 21 (40%) Def: 5 (20%)
Skl: 14 (20%) Res: 20 (50%)

Move: 5
Weapon Ranks: Staves (*), Fire (C), Thunder (C), Wind (C)
Promotion Bonuses: N/A
Items: Reserve Staff, Valkyrie Staff
Skill: None
Holy Blood: Major Blaggi

There's...actually not a whole lot to say about him. He's not great in combat, but his supremacy in staves is more than enough to make up for that. The Reserve staff, for example, is borderline broken; it restores [10 + Caster Magic] to everyone with 10 spaces of the caster! 10 Spaces! That is an absurd amount of range for someone who can restores up to 31 HP at once! The Valkyrie staff is pretty cool too; it revives dead people! It can only be used once before breaking, however; in other words, you have to pay 30,000G for every time you use it. So, it probably won't get much use, especially not in a AAAA ranked playthrough.

But yeah, this guy is an AMAZING support unit, so I guess I'd compare him to the West Supreme Kai! He's got a whole arsenal of amazingly helpful powers, he can do some light fighting, and even his usage in the plot is similar! Just as West Supreme Kai came to Earth to warn our heroes of oncoming dangers, Claude came to Agustria to warn Sigurd of the conspiracy against him and his family. Just...don't expect him to put down any real opponents; the guy's not THAT strong.

Level 3 Thunder Mage

HP: 28 (60%) Spd: 10 (40%)
Str: 0 (10%) Lck: 9 (50%)
Mag: 10 (20%) Def: 1 (10%)
Skl: 15 (60%) Res: 9 (10%)

Move (before Promotion): 5
Move (after Promotion): 6
Weapon Ranks (before Promotion): Thunder (A)
Weapon Ranks (after Promotion): Swords (C), Fire (B), Thunder (A), Wind (B), Staves (B)
Promotion Bonuses: +3 Str, +5 Mag, +6 Spd, +4 Def, +5 Res
Items: Tron, Elthunder
Skill: Wrath (100% chance of critical with every attack, provided that HP is below [(Max HP/2) + 1]) , Continue (promotion only)
Holy Blood: Minor Tordo

Tiltyu...stinks. She just stinks. She's basically just a worse version of Levin; she joins much later, her base stats aren't as high, her growths aren't as high, she has a worse weapon type (7 WT tomes instead of 2 WT), her promoted class is worse than Levin's, and she doesn't even get to use any Holy Weapons! Her only statistical "advantages" (if you can call them that) are higher growths and base stats in Luck and Skill. That's it; aside from that, Wrath is all she's got.

Speaking of Wrath, it's one of those skills that seems really good on paper...until you realize who it's stuck on. Tiltyu is one of the most fragile units in the entire game, right next to Sylvia and Dew; she has enough trouble surviving at full HP! And this game regularly sends 7-8 enemies at you at once; having her walk into Enemy Phase at only half HP is tantamount to suicide! Yes, Tron has 20 MT; yes, that means that Tiltyu can dish out 60 Damage right off the bat...but what is that worth if she can't survive long enough to use it? And how is she going to keep up with Sigurd & Co. with only 5 Move? Even Sylvia can't get her into the action fast enough!

But what really dooms her more than anything is this; Chapter 4 is custom designed to mess her up in every possible way. It is a map where about 50% of the enemies are either wind mages or pegasus knights; if you will recall, Wind has WTA over Thunder. In addition to all of Tiltyu's other problems, she also has to face a -20 Hit and Avoid penalty from many of Chapter 4's enemies. And then, when she's not deal with that, she's having to deal with squads of 8 Move Pegasus knights; ones that can fly over any terrain without penalty! Tiltyu is just about impossible to make viable in an efficiency playthrough...

And yet, we have to use her for this one. Why? Because for all her faults, she still gets B Staves at promotion. She can't function in combat, but she is able to Warp Staff spam to Level 30, like Deirdre did. Plus, Wrath does at least make her viable for the Arena, where death isn't permanent. Rolling the dice is all one has to do to get her through against anyone not named Dyuma.

So, I guess she would be Launch. She is a sweet, beautiful, kindhearted, but slightly absent-minded woman who gets very scary when mad; except not really, because she's still not that good compared to the main fighters. Plus, she's very over-protective of her "boyfriend", who shows no interest in her.

Main Playthrough:

I'm sending Beowulf through the Arena, so:

I sell everything aside from his sword; it only takes 40,000G to buy the Elite Ring, but Beo can only beat Ranks 1-5, so he wouldn't make back enough for the next Chapter's Arena without a buffer.

Lex, on the other hand, has no such difficulties! And the Rank 7 enemy isn't too hard for him either; actually, Torton is easier than Keller for most people. He's got slightly higher stats, but that -20 Hit and Avoid penalty hits him really hard against anyone who can use the Uber Slim Sword (i.e., almost every single one of our melee units).

And then you've got fringe cases like Sigurd, who just shrugs it off like it ain't no thang.

Now, Ethlin's going to be Returning him to the castle, so let's not have him clog the path.

Alright Cuan, let's see what the Gae Bolg can do!

Yeah, I may have been a bit too hard on the Gae Bolg before. It's not that great as far as HOLY WEAPONS go, but it's still more than enough for most other enemies.

Really, the main issue with the Gae Bolg is it's weight penalty; it weighs 15 WT instead of 12, so Dyuma here actually outspeeds me if I don't use the Hero Lance. Aside from that, it's just a little redundant for my tastes that it's redundant. Yes, gives one super strong hit, but the Hero Lance allows two hits; in other words, you tend to do just as much damage with the Hero Lance as you do with the Gae Bolg. And of course, the Gae Bolg costs 50,000G to repair, while the Hero Lance only costs 8,000G; so really, the Gae Bolg is just underwhelming compared to some of the other Holy Weapons.

Anyway, Cuan's done here; actually, he's done for the rest of the game. He's bowing out after the end of Chapter 3, so all that's left is for him to fix the Hero Lance before selling it for Fin's use.

Oh, and he'll also be giving all his money to Ethlin. I want her to buy a Return Ring so she can return after warping Sigurd back. Speaking of which, let's do that now!

There we go. Now let's get Ethlin back too!

:)

Ready yourselves folks, because Azel's finally getting his time to shine. And let's not forget Fin!

He'll be kicking butt soon as well. After that, well:

It's just more movement feng-shui. Fury is gonna steal some gold with the Thief Sword, Brigid's still running for her life, and our two other newbies are getting ready to tackle their own pirates.

Show me what ya got ya dastards!

:kingsley:

Ok, that MBandit's annoying me.

Ha ha, nice. But we still got Pizarl's group to deal with, so how about a hand from...

Sigurd, our main man!

Wow, better get out of there!

Uh… or the group of untrained, shoddily armed pirates could launch a full frontal attack on the Granbellian occupation force...who currently outnumber them almost 2 to 1...and came from the strongest military power in the world...

Aha! Here's something neat!

It really is incredible; every time you think Sigurd can't possibly get any more ridiculous, the game throws something else at him to abuse. Now he's got 12 Move on top of HP Regen and everything else we've given him :allears:.

I...I really don't know what the game designers were thinking with these guys. Pizarl and Dobarl are the final bosses in this chapter, and yet, they're both direct downgrades from every other boss in Chapter 3! Pizarl has 2-10 less points than Shagaal in every single stat across the board, he doesn't have Big Shield, and he doesn't even castle bonuses. In fact, he's the one who has to fight YOUR castle bonus if you choose to fight him that way; just put a speedy sword user on there, and you're basically untouchable! Pizarl is barely even a thread. And then once he's out of the way...

Well, let's just put it this way. See these guys below?

Those are the two kinds of enemies that Pizarl has with him. Now see Ardan?

Remember what his gimmick is? The one that's been hammered into our head since the very beginning of the game? "Strong as an ox, sturdy as a brick wall, [and] slow as a turtle", as bookofholsety's translation put it?

Yep, can't hit him. Pizarl's Hand Axe users...cannot hit...Ardan. If Ardan is on that castle...they can't hit him...without Pizarl's 2 Star Leadership bonus. Now, the guys with the Iron Axes might be able to hit him...

At 15% Hit chances...for about 8 HP...most of which Ardan will just gain back on the next turn. And then if you REALLY want to be mean :downs:...

Put Sylvia on top of there! She hasn't gained a single point of Speed since we got her, but it's all good; she starts with 12 Spd and 6 Luck at Level 1! This 14 year old girl is more than enough to run circles around an entire band of grown pirates! It's like Home Alone, except more death.

"Oh, but Fionordequester', you might say. 'Don't you know? They're supposed to be weak, because you need to hurry up and rescue Brigid, Claude, and Tiltyu. Otherwise they'll DIE out there!" And to that, I would say...

No, no they won't. You SAW how buff Brigid was, and here she is now; choking that point like a champ. The pirates can only move 1 space when inside water, and both her and Tiltyu are more than strong enough to OHKO anyone they fight. Besides that, even the strongest enemy here, the Steel Axe pirate, can only do 13 Damage at a time to Brigid's 40 HP. There is no way that anyone should die unless you somehow forgot about Claude's Reserve staff. It only has 10 uses, but Brigid and Tiltyu would mop them up WELL before Claude ever got close to running out.

So there's no tension! There's no reason to rush unless you're on an AAAA run! The only reason I'm even sending Sigurd and Ethlin at all is for the sake of Returning them; that way, they can fight in the Arena! But otherwise, yeah, both groups are effectively immortal! You've basically already beaten the map! The only way one could lose against them is if they were tactically inept; but if that's the case, then how would they ever get past Eltshan and Shagaal?

Anyway, back to the action itself. Dew and Fury are both going to be stealing some Gold, and Dew's natural Avoid is high enough to wall these enemies. It's so high, in fact, that he needs the Bridge's Avoid penalty just so the enemies don't ignore him :cheeky:.

NEXT TURN!

...Nothing happens.

Ok then, let's see what the last village has to say to us.

Another war’s broken out? Ugh, not again! We’ve got absolutely nothing to do with Grandbell OR Agustria! If they must fight, they should do it somewhere else.

Ergh...little late for that, isn't it? Sounds like this village should have swapped places with the one that complained about Brigid "betraying" them. Anyway:

Tiltyu kills another guy with Wrath. And then...

I put my grand plan into effect!

Duuude! Look at that EXP gain! Getting Azel up to par is going to be a cinch :rock:!

And there goes Sigurd, riding atop his 12 Move steed. And finally...

I pair Sylvia up with Dew; because remember, I want the two of them to get hitched by the time this generation ends.

Oh no, whatever shall I do :geno: ?

Heh heh. Yeah, at first glance, it seems a little much to have given Azel the Speed Ring, doesn't it? But remember, Azel's also got the Arenas to deal with; we all know how much rougher they play than these guys, don't we? The Speed Ring is more for them than it is for Azel ;) .

Pictured here: the "Human Down Arrow".

Next Turn!

Y'all ready for dis?

Oh, did I forget to mention? It gives 85 EXP per use too! You better believe I started spamming THIS every turn!

:dance:

Oh, but before I forget:

Aideen doesn't need to warp anymore people to Madino, so she's going to help out with the Jealousy formation.

Fury gets in place, Sigurd and Ethlin charge ever closer. Normally I'd say that "ends my turn" before talking about what happened on enemy phase...

But there's really no point to doing that this time. Brigid tanked, Dew stole, Azel rocked...a lot of these turns are going to be the exact same.

Actually, there's not much to talk about on Player Phase either. Fury finally gets to steal some gold. But aside from that...

There really isn't anything to talk about. Sigurd's arrived on the scene, Ethlin's right behind him, Brigid can't be killed, and as for the kids at Madino...

They're not in the slightest bit of danger either. Dew and Azel basically can't be hit, and Sylvia will only be targetted if someone attacks Azel from his northeast, and then lives to another enemy phase. And of course, the fix to that goes without saying. So fast forward to the next turn...

And it's JUDGEMENT DAY for all our cognitively impaired friends.

For those wondering what happened, Sigurd had the Hero Sword equipped, that way he could get more kills on it. The archers, however, saw that Sigurd had too much defense for them to hurt, so they went for Brigid instead. She killed them, of course, and then Sigurd...well...Sigurd did what he always does. That lone pirate had a Hand Axe, meaning that he had 0% chance to hit Sigurd. As a result, he was the only one with the good sense to run away.

Oh, and then Sigurd regenerates his HP; because that's totally necessary.

Now then. Sigurd and Fury are just about done here. But before moving on, let's go through some of Brigid's conversations!

Sigurd with Brigid

Sigurd: Well, one of the villagers was telling me about the leader of the Orgahil Pirates and how she’s always helping the poor. That’s you, isn’t it?

Brigid: Ah, I see. You’re Sigurd from Grandbell, right? If you must kill me, go on. Get it over with.

Sigurd: Hahaha! No, no. I merely came to talk to you! We’d like you to team up with us. What do you say?

Brigid: You want me to fight with you!?

Sigurd: Yep, we need you.

Brigid: You’re a strange one…

Uncle Sigurd wants YOU Brigid!

But yeah, 2-3 turns later, Ethlin is now Returning Brigid and Tiltyu, at long last...

The kiddies have finally defeated what was left of Pizarl's gang...

And Azel finishes up by getting his 11th level up this Chapter. Not bad, for someone who was compared to Tien, huh ;)?

And then Ethlin receives hers. Now, VERY IMPORTANT NOTE HERE:

She's leaving next chapter, so we need to have her sell ALL of her stuff before we finish this one. That's one of the main reasons why I bought her the Return Ring to begin with. Oh, and on ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE:

This is how Brigid gets her Holy Weapon!

Brigid: How come you know my name? …Wow, you look just like me. …Aideen, you say? Actually does sound kinda familiar…

Aideen: Yes! I’m your twin sister! You were taken by pirates when you were just 5 years old! I’ve been looking for you for such a long time.

Brigid: I don’t know. You’re going to have to prove this to me somehow.

Aideen: Okay. Take this bow. Then draw.

Brigid: Hm? Wow! Now that’s a nice bow! Just draw it, right? Whoa! W, what is going on! Some strange power is bubbling up inside me. I… I have some recollection… Ah… my heart is burning… Aideen. Your are my sister, Aideen!

Ergh...

Aideen: Wonderful! You remember! That bow is the holy Ichival… It’s been handed down through our family for generations. It is said that only one direct descendant of a crusader is able to handle their divine weapon. And in our family, that appears to be you! Now is that enough proof for you?

I dunno guys...I mean, is 5 years old a high enough age for a child to start remembering that kind of stuff so instantly? I guess it is in THIS game, but...

Brigid: Aideen… Let me see your face. How’s our father? And our brother… Andre?

Aideen: Oh! I have so many things to ask you, too!

Well, whatever. In another nod to this game's writing, this actually WAS foreshadowed, quite heavily in fact! In Prologue, we had an old man tell us this:

And then Aideen told Sigurd this:

So this actually ISN'T something that comes out of nowhere; the game's been building up to this. But if you're memory was not good enough to store this away, never fear: There's always the handy dandy Unit screen!

The game's taken the subtle approach to hinting at this, just as it did with Aira's recruitment requirements. But unlike Aira, it gave you just enough hints for a player to figure it out on their own; additionally, you DON'T lose out on a playable character like you could in Aira's case. You just don't get a fancy shmancy weapon, that's all.

Brigid: Don't mess with THIS princess!

Oh, and Tiltyu does well too, up until Dyuma. Wrath may not be enough to carry her on the battlefield, but it IS really handy for the Arena's!

So after all that, Ethlin repairs and sells ALL of her items...

...which means Sigurd is now ready to put Dobarl out of his misery. But before we do that, let's view the REST of the optional conversations, shall we?

Midir with Brigid

Midir: My lady?

Brigid: Huh? Who the hell are you?

Midir: I’m sorry, you aren’t Lady Aideen, are you. So you must be…

Brigid: You mad? What in the world are you mumbling about?

Midir: What’s your name?

Brigid: Brigid.

Midir: Brigid… you’re beautiful!

Brigid: What did you say? You tryin’ to be funny!?

Midir: To think there’s another… one that’s even more beautiful. You’re like a dream!

Brigid: I… I’m leaving!

That's 100 free Love Points right there. But dude; I know you're on the rebound from Aideen, but c,mon, show SOME restraint :mmmhmm:

Claude with Sigurd

Claude: Sir Sigurd! Finally we can meet up!

Sigurd: Claude! You’re alright! You had us all worried. We heard that you two were attacked by pirates.

Claude: Yes, but thanks to Tiltyu’s efforts we made it through. That aside, my prayer at Blagi Tower proved to be quite fruitful, Sir Sigurd.

Sigurd: You found out who killed Prince Kurth!?

Claude: Yes. It was all a conspiracy of Lord Reptor. He had Lord Langbart murder the prince. And then he shrewdly placed the blame on your father.

Ergh...guy's leaving out a rather critical detail here...guess Blagi just felt like being a complete jerk today, huh :raise: ?

Sigurd: I knew it!

Claude: There’s more. The death of King Mananan also turned out to be Lord Reptor’s handiwork. He didn’t want the war with Isaac to come to a close, so he secretly killed the king.

Sigurd: Is that right? So this was Reptor right from the start.

Claude: Well, it doesn’t seem to be all his doing. Some kind of wicked force is working in his shadow. An evil presence so powerful that even Lord Blagi could not clearly discern it.

Sigurd: …Evil presence? Maybe… the Dark Sect? Claude! What about my father?

Claude: Well, he is still alive, but seems to be at death’s door…

Sigurd: Father… Oh no!

Claude: I will hurry back to the capital and inform His Majesty all that I have been revealed. Sir Sigurd, please sit tight for the moment and try to avoid any rash behaviour.

Wait, Claude! There's something else Sigurd needs to know! It's about Deirdre, Sigurd's wife! Girl suddenly went missing, so it'd be REALLY helpful if you could ask Blaggi about...

Sigurd: Of course. Claude, please, I beg of you, help my father clear himself of this horrible injustice.

Claude: It’s in the Lord’s hands now, Sir Sigurd.

:what:

Or I guess we could just completely IGNORE the free crystal ball dangling right in front of your noses...yeah, sure, that works too :cripes:. Oh well, maybe Dew can do something about that? Because...

Just like the last two chapters, there's a secret event here. Drag Dew all the way here, and you get this scene...

Dew Enters Blagi Tower

Dew: Blagi Tower! Hee hee! The life of a thief! Let’s see what’s locked inside her. Mm? Nothin’ here. How ’bout over there? Hmm, nothin’ here either. This place’s empty.

???: …Who goes there?

Dew: Hm!?

???: …State your reason for entering Blagi Tower.

Dew: I’ll just pretend I can’t hear ’em…

???: …Trespassing on holy ground is forbidden! Leave at once!

Dew: Yikes!! Please forgive me! Ulp! What was that!? Huh? What’s this sword doin’ here? Well, it’s mine now!

And that'd be the Wind Sword. It's...just like the Thunder Sword, except it shoots Elwind spells instead. It's...neat...but not really worth wasting a whole bunch of turns for. I would recommend that you give it a miss.

And now the boss.

Dobarl vs. Brigid

Dobarl: Geh… You’re still alive, you stubborn woman!?

Brigid: Dobarl! I’ll never forgive you!!

Dobarl vs. Everyone Else

Dobarl: drat it! My men are all useless cowards!

LET THEM ENJOY THE FEAR THAT IS THE ORGAHIL PIRA-

Yeah whatever man. Shut up and gimme your loot.

That's a good boy :cheeky: .

Not that he needed anymore help, mind you. Now let's wrap this up.

Sigurd: Oifaye, would you round up all our troops? I want to make sure everybody’s alright.

Oifaye: Right away, sir.

Well that should all be pretty easy. Now to pack up our bags, relax, and go looking for Deirdre-

OH SWEET MERCIFUL CRAB-BASKETS!!

Langbart: They along with Bryon killed Prince Kurth in an attempt to take over the monarchy. Those are direct orders from His Majesty. Show no mercy to these traitors of the kingdom!

And now...the scene. I've been building up to this since near the very beginning, ever since Manfloy's conversation with Sandima. I told you before, and I'll tell you again; this game is NOT subtle; not in the slightest..and hooooboy does it get bad. Because if you thought THAT conversation was bad...then do I have a surprise for you. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, Lord Reptor!

This...this is the scene, right here folks. No build-up, no attempt to weave this into an actual conversation, no ambiguity...no, Reptor just VOMITS exposition all over the player. I cannot tell you how many laughs I've had just thinking back on this moment; I've been waiting to capture this moment since the time I started the LP. I dunno about you all, but I was NEVER able to take Reptor seriously ever again; every time I see his mug, I picture him riding up to a hill somewhere, stopping right in front of his men, saying AWWWWW MAN, THAT ALVIS GUY!! HE'S A REAL DASTARD; WE'RE UP TO SOME REEEEEAL MISCHIEF HERE...I SUUUURE AM GLAD THAT NOBODY'S LISTENING! THAT'D BE REEEAL BAD, AM I RIGHT GUYS?

Actually, as long as we're riffing on the script, here's something else to consider: we just heard that Alvis "spearheaded" the entire operation, right? Spun the story, gave Reptor and Langbart the plans, did all the planning, right?

HOW COME BLAGI NEVER MENTIONED ANY OF THAT?!? I mean fine, "the Dark Sect's too powerful to fully analyze" and all that, but Alvis isn't part of the Dark Sect! He's just a regular guy, like Langbart and Reptor! I'm just saying, that was a rather important detail Blagi left out. "Hey, don't trust Alvis, guys. He's kinda got it in for you. He's involved in all this too". Woulda been reeeeeeal good to know :cripes: .

Oifaye: We just finished fighting, too. You were all set to go look for Deirdre.

Sigurd: Grr! His Majesty is being fooled by Reptor and his crew. How can he believe that my father could kill Prince Kurth? Aaagh… I wish Father Claude could’ve gotten back there by now. First we lose Eltshan and now this. What have I been fighting for all this time!?

Oifaye: Sir…

AND THEN PEGASUS KNIGHTS!

Mahnya: Sir Sigurd. I’m Mahnya, a Silesian knight. I’m here on orders from Queen Rahna. Please consider retreating to Silesia until your fine name is cleared of all of this.

Sigurd: …Queen Rahna of Silesia? Silesia is willing to help out an accused traitor?

Mahnya: Sir, time is of the essence. Grandbell will be on your trail before long. The Pegasus Knights will accompany you over the ocean to Silesia.

And there we go, that's the end of all that. Can Sigurd clear his fine name? Will he ever find Deirdre?

Reptor: Oh that's an easy one. Of course he-

Find out, next time-

Reptor: No you won't.

On Let's Max Rank Fire Emblem 4-

Reptor: Or you could just ask m-

SHUT UP REPTOR :argh: !! This is Fionordequester, signing out; have a nice day, and God bless you a-

Reptor: Han Solo dies.

:aaaaa:

Reptor: That Kylo Ren!

No, please!!

Reptor: He's a cunning one! He sure faked him out when he lured him onto that platform!

Y-you...MAD MAN! How could you...?!

Reptor: And to think, that was his son, Ben! What a dastard, stabbing him in the stomach like that!

S-SHUT UP! SHUT UP!!

Reptor: He even threw him down the elevator shaft! Too bad the planet he was on exploded...

N-no...no more...

Reptor: Now he'll never come back-

GRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH-

AAAA RANKED RUN STATS:

Time Taken This Update: ~54 minutes and 33 seconds.

Total Time Elapsed Over the Run: ~8 hours, 29 minutes and 49 seconds.

Turns Taken This Update:10 Turns

Total Turns Elapsed Over The Run: 131 Turns

Levels Gained This Update: 42 Levels

Total Levels Gained: 297 Levels

Things I Regret on This Section: I regret wasting something like 12 minutes rigging Aideen a win against Keimos, when it ultimately didn't end up doing much for Jamka anyway. And I could have manipulated Dew's Gold a bit better so that Aira got just 18,000G instead of 22,470G.

Total Things I Regret: In the Prologue, I regret the fact that Noish had to hang back as I rigged levels for Sigurd in the Prologue.

In Chapter 1, I should've brought Midir to guarantee that Kinbois's men would be taken down without issue.

On Chapter 2, I regret the fact that Ardan built up so many love points with Aira even though that pairing's been written out of the route, I regret making that positioning mistake with Fin, and I wish I hadn't made that careless mistake with Sigurd attacking that guard near Boldo (even if it did end up working out). I regret deciding to not just get Deirdre to Level 30 by the end of Chapter 2. I regret wasting something like 12 minutes rigging Aideen a win against Keimos, when it ultimately didn't end up doing much for Jamka anyway. And I could have manipulated Dew's Gold a bit better so that Aira got just 18,000G instead of 22,470G.

On Chapter 3, I regret selling Deirdre's Aura tome! I'll bet she TOTALLY could've kicked Manfloy's butt, if ONLY I hadn't taken that away :gonk: !!

Level 26-28: 59 > 61 HP, 25(30) Str, 2(7) Magic, 22 Skl, 20 Spd, 15 > 16 Lck, 17(22) > 19(24) Def, 4(9) Res!

Level 6-17: 33 > 40 HP, 1 > 2 Str, 12 > 17 Mag, 8 > 9 Skl, 11(16) > 13(18) Spd, 4 > 7 Lck, 3 > 5 Def, 6 > 8 Res!

Level 21-24: 49 > 51 HP, 23 > 26 Str, 1 Mag, 13 > 14 Skl, 17 > 18 Spd, 8 Lck, 25 Def, 5 Res!

Level 22-25: 53 > 56 HP, 23(33) > 24(34) Str, 1 Mag, 17 > 18 Skl, 16 > 17 Spd, 6 > 7 Lck, 23(33) Def, 3 > 4 Res!

Level 28-30: 48 HP, 14 Str, 13 Mag, 22 > 24 Skl, 22 > 23 Spd, 15 > 16 Lck, 14 Def, 11 Res!

Level 24-27: 42 > 45 HP, 4 > 6 Str, 23 > 24 Mag, 15 > 16 Skl, 14 > 15 Spd, 21 > 22 Lck, 5 Def, 12 Res!

Level 18-19: 39 > 40 HP, 11 Str, 2 Mag, 11 Skl, 22 Spd, 20 Lck, 8 Def, 3 Res!

Level 4-5: 30 > 31 HP, 3 Str, 1 Mag, 4 Skl, 12 Spd, 7 Lck, 1 Def, 6 Res!

Level 13-16: 41 > 42 HP, 15 Str, 0 Mag, 13 Skl, 12 > 13 Spd, 3 > 4 Lck, 12 > 14 Def, 0 Res!

Level 12-17: 40 > 44 HP, 20 > 22 Str, 0 > 1 Mag, 22 Skl, 21 Spd, 7 > 12 Lck, 14 > 15 Def, 4 > 5 Res!

Level 3-8: 28 > 32 HP, 0 Str, 10 Mag, 15 > 19 Skl, 10 > 12 Spd, 9 > 11 Lck, 1 Def, 9 > 10 Res!

Level 20-23: 34 > 36 HP, 0 Str, 21> 22 Mag, 14 Skl, 15 > 16 Spd, 9 > 11 Lck, 5 Def, 20 > 22Res!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fionordequester posted:

And Azel finishes up by getting his 11th level up this Chapter. Not bad, for someone who was compared to Tien, huh ;)?

gently caress Power Levels. gently caress Holy Weapons! And. gently caress. You!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I am so glad this has started back up again (well a week ago but whatever), FE4's such an interesting game and seeing it played as a max rank run is really something.

It'd be cool if they tried a game in this style again. The giant maps and how it gives story, the actual "armies", the emphasis on talking for cool bonuses...it's all pretty neat and it would be cool to see another go at it that's more balanced

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'll give Dobarl this: at least he realizes that all of his men are useless. A bit too late, but at least he did it.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Tiltyu's real worth is as a mother when given a husband with Vantage.

Vantage+Wrath in this game, especially with the 1-2 range of tomes, is so hilariously broken. It honestly is enough to make her and her children some of my favorite characters in the game. I always use them.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Weeble posted:

Tiltyu's real worth is as a mother when given a husband with Vantage.

Vantage+Wrath in this game, especially with the 1-2 range of tomes, is so hilariously broken. It honestly is enough to make her and her children some of my favorite characters in the game. I always use them.

Your options for that are Arden and Lex, though. Elite is cool and all, but, they're gonna be the most un-magical magic units ever.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Considering how low Resistance is in general in this game they coukd probably get by though, especially with Wrath.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I tried that combo before. Maybe I just got unlucky, but...the results were tremondously underwhelming. Arthur and Tinny only have a MAG growth of 15% and 22% respectively when paired with Ardan or Lex...

http://serenesforest.net/genealogy-of-the-holy-war/characters/growth-rates/

And they only have a base stat of 8 MAG with said fathers...

http://serenesforest.net/genealogy-of-the-holy-war/characters/base-stats/

So instead of Wrath being absurdly broken on them, it ended up being the only way they could deal actual damage to anything. And considering that you need to be at half HP just to USE the blasted thing :bang:...

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I've done it before. It works, but it's really finicky, and there are much easier ways to get good units.

It is fun as hell to have two units perma-critting, though.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

theshim posted:

I've done it before. It works, but it's really finicky, and there are much easier ways to get good units.

It is fun as hell to have two units perma-critting, though.

Indeed it is. Now then, I've gotten the next update all recorded up. Look forward to that, as well as the first War Room update we've had in a long time!

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

rannum posted:

It'd be cool if they tried a game in this style again. The giant maps and how it gives story, the actual "armies", the emphasis on talking for cool bonuses...it's all pretty neat and it would be cool to see another go at it that's more balanced
The story has a lot of power struggle between lords and juggles many balls simultaneously. The power struggle doesn't get near the level of Game of Thrones, but is still leaps above the average JRPG. Another factor is that the game doesn't shy away from controversial subjects. I don't think we get any of that just from large maps, it requires a certain willingness, and effort in writing that many videogame developers lack. The large maps may enable this type of story in a way smaller won't, but I would not say that they "give story".

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Crystalgate posted:

The story has a lot of power struggle between lords and juggles many balls simultaneously. The power struggle doesn't get near the level of Game of Thrones, but is still leaps above the average JRPG. Another factor is that the game doesn't shy away from controversial subjects. I don't think we get any of that just from large maps, it requires a certain willingness, and effort in writing that many videogame developers lack. The large maps may enable this type of story in a way smaller won't, but I would not say that they "give story".

Sorry I wasn't entirely clear, I meant how the game gives story not necessarily how the maps give story. THe ball juggling, basically.

It gives the story in more piecemeal as the chapter goes on rather than just the usual preamble & epilogue.
it's not even at every conquered castle, plot events happen more frequently all over the place.

Like you said the maps help & necessitate this type of story telling better than smaller maps but even quality of plot & writing aside it's just nice to see a bunch of not-necessarily-related events happen all over. Like 2 updates ago we got the tower of blagi in one part while brigid is running away from all the pirates and we're dealing with a huge attacking army and so on.
And then you have all the different conversations between characters (even ones you've already recruited) if you drag them to talk, or the different events you can trigger if you go out of your way.

it's novel, i guess

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

rannum posted:

it's novel, i guess

Indeed. I especially wish they'd have kept the screen scrolling bits for later FE games, where the enemy characters actually walk a really long away toward their next destination. Nowadays, the only screen scrolling we get happens when a new unit appears; and even then, those units never seem to move unless it's their turn.

Also, a small warning to anyone playing along with me. Make SURE that Lachesis beats the first two Arena guys in Chapter 3. So basically, these two losers (who are utterly trivialized by the Prayer Sword)...

I thought all of her expensive items would be enough to Elite Ring + Return Staff spam her to Level 20, but apparently it wasn't. I need the Prayer Sword to get extra money from the Arena...except, the fully repaired Return Staff required selling said Prayer Sword in order to get the Elite Ring + Return Staff in the first place. This...doesn't ruin anything, but it makes it messier than I would have liked it. Hence, I'm gamesharking an extra 2500G for Lachesis, for the sake of showing what a Chapter 4 run is supposed to look like. This IS, after all, a guide on how to AAAA rank as easily as possible ;) .

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright guys, we got ourselves a War Room, and a video montage at once! First, the War Room; then you can use the video montage for cooling off.

The War Room Part 7: (What to do with Civilians?)

This chapter introduces a new unit type, the civilian. See these puny weaklings?

Well the enemy A.I. is going to do their absolute BEST to kill them dead. But if you can rescue them before that happens with the Help command...

BAM! You get a free 100 EXP, no matter WHAT level you were at! But be careful; you only get 6 of these guys in Gen 1, and Gen 2 isn't generous with 'em either. So, what's a gamer to do? That's why I feel that some guidelines are in order...

1) We're going to be creating an Uber Hero Sword by the time we enter Chapter 5. Sigurd's already got 33 kills on it, and it's only a matter of time before it reaches the required 50 kills. This is very significant, because Chapter 5 has unlimited reinforcements...reinforcements that use AXES! So we are literally guaranteed to level cap EVERY COMBAT UNIT with B level swords and higher! And Azel ends up being one of those people, so that rules out everyone except for...

-Midir
-Lex
-Jamka
-Sylvia
-Brigid

Now, Brigid, Lex, and Jamka hardly need OUR help gaining levels, so it would seem that Midir and Sylvia are the only ones who significantly benefit from this. But...there's also another factor to consider.

2) Civilians can also be helpful for leveling up weak units. Tiltyu, for example, still stinks; she will have an immense amount of trouble getting to her promotion without Civilians. I can get her through Chapter 4's Arena with the help of Azel's Speed Ring, but she's utterly helpless against the final two opponents in Chapter 5. She'll end up just short of Level 20 before fighting them. So I chose to give her one Civilian in this chapter, so that she could get her promotion early enough! This is in-spite of the fact that her promotion allows her to warp staff spam the rest of the way to Level 30. But, before I did that...

3) I got her up to as high a level as she could go beforehand. One gets less and less EXP from enemies as their level gets higher; so that free 100 EXP is worth more on a Level 14 Tiltyu than it is on a Level 8 Tiltyu. So keep that in mind when you run into civilians during later chapters.

4) Somewhat related to number 2 is this concern; how much do civilians really help the civilian in question? In other words, who makes better use of them; Sylvia, or Midir? The answer, of course, is Midir, for obvious reasons. Sylvia has 6 Move, and will never be anywhere near actual combat. Midir, on the other hand, has 9 move, and will be very valuable as a meatshield (more on that later). And, while I don't plan on promoting him, five civilians WILL get him that much closer to it! So, that's still important.

So with all that said...enjoy a nice, 16 minute montage of Arena shenanigans :): This is to show all of what went on before we get to the actual playthrough of Chapter 4.

Chapter 4 Arena Montange

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AAAA RANKED RUN STATS:

Time Taken This Update: ~1 hour, 2 minutes and 32 seconds.

Total Time Elapsed Over the Run: ~9 hours, 32 minutes and 21 seconds.

Turns Taken This Update:0 Turns

Total Turns Elapsed Over The Run: 131 Turns

Levels Gained This Update: 38 Levels

Total Levels Gained: 335 Levels

Things I Regret on This Section: I regret wasting something like 12 minutes rigging Aideen a win against Keimos, when it ultimately didn't end up doing much for Jamka anyway. And I could have manipulated Dew's Gold a bit better so that Aira got just 18,000G instead of 22,470G.

Total Things I Regret: In the Prologue, I regret the fact that Noish had to hang back as I rigged levels for Sigurd in the Prologue.

In Chapter 1, I should've brought Midir to guarantee that Kinbois's men would be taken down without issue.

On Chapter 2, I regret the fact that Ardan built up so many love points with Aira even though that pairing's been written out of the route, I regret making that positioning mistake with Fin, and I wish I hadn't made that careless mistake with Sigurd attacking that guard near Boldo (even if it did end up working out). I regret deciding to not just get Deirdre to Level 30 by the end of Chapter 2. I regret wasting something like 12 minutes rigging Aideen a win against Keimos, when it ultimately didn't end up doing much for Jamka anyway. And I could have manipulated Dew's Gold a bit better so that Aira got just 18,000G instead of 22,470G.

On Chapter 3, I regret selling Deirdre's Aura tome! I'll bet she TOTALLY could've kicked Manfloy's butt, if ONLY I hadn't taken that away :gonk: !!

Level 17-22: 40 > 45 HP, 2 > 7 Str, 17 > 21 Mag, 9 > 11 Skl, 13(18) > 19 Spd, 7 > 10 Lck, 5 > 11 Def, 8 > 11 Res!

Level 24-27: 51 > 53 HP, 26 > 27 Str, 1 Mag, 14 > 15 Skl, 18 > 20 Spd, 8 Lck, 25 Def, 5 Res!

Level 27-29: 45 > 46 HP, 6 > 7 Str, 24 Mag, 16 Skl, 15 Spd, 22 > 24 Lck, 5 Def, 12 Res!

Level 13-19: 33 > 37 HP, 15 > 16 Str, 2 > 3 Mag, 14 > 16 Skl, 23 > 25 Spd, 7 > 9 Lck, 12 > 14 Def, 10 > 12 Res!

Level 15-20: 41 > 45 HP, 18 > 22 Str, 1 > 6 Mag, 11 > 16 Skl, 9 > 12 Spd, 6 > 7 Lck, 10 > 16 Def, 0 > 5 Res!

Level 21-25: 42 > 44 HP, 17 Str, 5 Mag, 21 > 23 Skl, 16 > 18 Spd, 10 Lck, 16 > 18 Def, 5 Res!

Level 19-23: 40 > 44 HP, 11 > 17 Str, 2 > 5 Mag, 11 > 17 Skl, 22 > 27 Spd, 20 > 22 Lck, 8 > 14 Def, 3 > 6 Res!

Level 17-22: 40 > 44 HP, 14 > 20 Str, 1 Mag, 24 > 30 Skl, 19 > 26 Spd, 3 > 5 Lck, 7 > 9 Def, 2 > 5 Res!

Level 19-23: 47 > 51 HP, 17 > 22 Str, 0 > 3 Mag, 22 > 26 Skl, 19 > 21 Spd, 5 Lck, 14 > 16 Def, 1 > 4 Res!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 9, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hello fellow FE afficionados! Welcome back to Let's Max Rank Fire Emblem 4!

: In an unthinkable series of events, Sigurd had been denounced as a traitor by his beloved motherland. In the midst of adversity, he found refuge in the sovereign Kingdom of Silesia just north of Grandbell.

: Under the guard of the valiant Pegasus Knights and the Wind Mages, Silesia proved to be impenetrable by any force. As a result, Silesia successfully maintained its neutrality for the hundred years following its foundation.

"Yeah, the Pegasus Knights are valiant, but the Wind Mages? They're just kind of there; nothing really special about them".

: However, opposition arose within the royal family soon after the king’s death. Before long signs of war began to emerge within the once peaceful kingdom.

I don't suppose Manfloy is involved somehow, is he? Actually, I don't know if he IS involved; the game never says one way or the other. Daccar and Maios could very well be their own agents.

: Between the late king and Queen Rahna they had a son, Prince Levin. The zealous younger brother to the king, Duke Daccar, protested the idea of Levin succeeding the throne, and confined himself to Zaxon Castle.

Daccar: "♪Crawwwling iiin my skiiin...These wouuunds, they willlll not healll...Fearrr is howww I falllll; confuuusing whaaat is realll...♪"

: And almost as if acting in concert the youngest brother to the king, Duke Maios, began to amass an army at Thove Castle.

And by "youngest", they mean that the king's dad remarried like, 20 years later after siring Daccar, and gave THAT woman Duke Maios...I think? I mean, Daccar and Maios ARE recolours of these guys:

So I dunno how all THAT works out :raise: ...

: There was no indication of just how far the conspiring brothers would go. The majestic land of Silesia was about to be engulfed by the raging flames of war.

Poor Sigurd :sigh:...

Chapter 4 – Dance in the Skies

Rahna: I know it must be uncomfortable in such a small castle, but please bear it a little longer… I have been writing letters explaining your innocence to King Azmur, but he has yet to respond.

Sigurd: That’s… Prime Minister Leptor has probably been hiding them. I’m sure it’s he who tricked my father...

Rahna: Lord Sigurd… I understand how you feel, but you must not hold grudges against people like that. Hate will bring you nothing. I promise you I will think of something, so until then...

Sigurd: Yes… I really don’t know how to thank you.

Rahna: Don’t worry about it. Oh, one more thing. Something good has happened in Grandbell.

Sigurd: Something good?

"Yes Sigurd; good. As in, 'something good' happened; and it happened in Grandbell...are you feeling ok :raise:?"

Rahna: Yes. After being missing for so long, Prince Kurth’s daughter has turned up. The entire country is bursting with joy.

Sigurd: What? …Really!?

Rahna: King Azmur recognised her at once. She has the symbol of Narga, so she is indeed part of the royal family.

Sigurd: I see… Good. The royal heritage won’t die out...

Rahna: Also, the princess is apparently in a relationship with Lord Alvis. The King has approved their marriage, and there is to be a grand wedding soon.

Sigurd: With Lord Alvis?

Ok, so this whole “ask a question by repeating what the other person just said” thing that you sometimes hear in games from Japan? That's just lazy localization; CmdrKing stated as much in Blastinus's FE8 LP...

CmdrKing posted:

At least as I understand it, the convention in japan is meant to convey both "Did I hear you right[?]" (which makes some sense in a context-sensitive language) and/or "could you elaborate on that[?]". So if we wanted [the speaker] to sound remotely natural and not like an idiot, something like "[Alvis huh? Do go on.]" would make much more sense.

And THAT'S why Rahna...

Rahna: Everyone is saying they look perfect together, Lord Sigurd. It’s nice to be young, isn’t it? You… oh… I’m sorry, Lord Sigurd. Your wife...

Doesn't respond to him as though it's a question. Because it WASN'T one.

Sigurd: Deirdre… she’s still gone… It’s already been over a year. Celice has grown so much, but I still can’t show him to her...

Rahna: Lord Sigurd, I’m sure you’ll find her. So...

Sigurd: Yes, I know… I know that I will find her some day… I just know it.

Rahna: Oh, yes. We should be going soon… One more thing, Lord Sigurd. Please be wary of Duke Maios of Thove. He has had his eye on Sailane for some time. He may go so far as to attack you. We would offer you troops, but...

Sigurd: …Silesia needs to be protected in case of attack by Duke Daccar of Zaxon. Do not concern yourself with our protection. We can deal with any attacks by Thove’s army.

Rahna: Well, you are a veteran of many battles

Ooohhhh, you don't know the half of it :allears: ....

:mmmhmm:

Rahna: It has been good speaking with you, Lord Sigurd.

Sigurd: Lady Rahna, it’s been a pleasure.

"I just hope I don't end up conquering your nation while I'm here"

Levin: You talk for hours with Sigurd, but you won’t even spare one moment for your own son?

Rahna: My son left me two years ago and ran off to some faraway place. I don’t see him anywhere.

Levin: Ah… you’re still mad?

Rahna: You have no idea how worried and saddened I was!

Levin: I had my reasons, mother. But since I’ve come home in one piece, will you please forgive me? I’ll make up for the time I was gone. I know, do you want me to massage your shoulders for you?

Rahna: Why, I never! Treating me like an old lady… Levin, I have much to tell you. Come to Silesia. Soon. Understood?

Levin: …sigh...

Ergh...you'd never know this, but...that's actually supposed to be a hint. You'd never know it was one unless you played before; fortunately, the game later gives you a much more obvious one!

:lol:

Guys; I love Sigurd so much. I love how he performs as a unit, I love his design...and his dialogue! It is absolutely incredible how he rapidly cycles from being the friendliest bro you will ever meet, to being the FE4 equivalent of Bruce Lee, to being the biggest doof you will ever meet in your life. One minute he's soloing an entire army by himself; and then having trouble tying his shoelaces the next. The guy's like a hammier version of Jackie Chan; he's just so...so...quotable!!

Mahnya: She’s been so cheerful ever since you returned...

Levin: Thank you, Mahnya. You have my gratitude. Take care of mother for me, alright?

Mahnya: Yes, of course. As the flightleader of the Silesian Pegasus Knights, I will guard her with my life.

Levin: Thank you. Also… are you going to leave Fury here?

Mahnya: Oh, Fury. You were there?

Fury: Don’t tell Lord Levin any more than necessary...

Mahnya: Oh… Sorry, you’re right. I should have kept quiet.

You DO realize Levin is still there...right? At least, I think he is :confused:...

Mahnya: Fury, I’m returning to Silesia with Lady Rahna. So make sure you protect Lord Levin, alright?

Fury: I know, Mahnya...

And off she goes. Now, this next part involves Cuan, Ethlin, and Fin, so there are some variations as to how this can play out.

If Fin is ”alive”:

Cuan: I’ll round up some reinforcements and meet up with you again. Until then.

Ethlin: Sigurd, I’m leaving with Cuan too, but we will be back. Take care of yourself!

Fin: Sir, I’ll be heading back with Cuan as well. Thanks for everything! I know you’ll be cleared of that false accusation soon. Stay strong and persevere.

Sigurd: Thanks. Well, you’ve got a long trip ahead of you. I wish I could help you all out somehow… I’ll be praying for your safety.

If Fin is ”dead”:

Cuan: Sigurd, I’m going to head back to Lenster. I’ll round up some reinforcements and meet up with you again. Until then.

Ethlin: Sigurd, I’m leaving with Cuan too, but we will be back. Take care of yourself!

Sigurd: Thanks. Well, you’ve got a long trip ahead of you. I wish I could help you two out somehow… I’ll be praying for your safety.

If Fin is ”alive” and Cuan or Ethlin is ”dead”:

Fin: Sir, thank you for everything. I’m heading back to Lenster to help Cuan assemble some reinforcement troops. I know you’ll be cleared of that false accusation soon. Stay strong and persevere.

Sigurd: Thanks. You’ve got a long trip ahead of you. I wish I could help you out somehow… I’ll be praying for your safety.

"Meanwhile, at the Fortress of Evil..."

Maios: Alright then. Give my order to strike Sailane! Deetva, your Pegasus squad knows what to do, don’t they?

Deetva: Yes. Our squadron is to divert the enemy.

Maios: Alright, then get going! Heheh… The heads of the Grandbell traitors should fetch us a nice little sum!

I really like Lady Rahna's character too; she's a very kind and compassionate character, but she's also a very smart one too. If you'll notice, she's not actually helping us with Maios's forces at all, but that's because she has Sigurd's assurance that he can handle it. So not only is she helping to restore Sigurd's honor, but she's also doing it in a way that allows her to concentrate on one problem at a time. By having Sigurd defend Sailane, she's able to fortify the defenses at Silesia. This way, her army won't get flanked on both sides by Maios and Daccar.

In other words, she's set things up so that BOTH parties benefit; she doesn't just throw herself into the meat-grinder like Eltshan did. I like it.

And there we have it; time to begin!

I could have shown Jamka going through the Arena in that video montage, and yet...I just didn't...for some reason. But yeah, he very easily goes through the Arena, especially with...

That enormous Str boost he gets; you know, on top of already having Pursuit, Continue, Charge, AND a Killer Bow on top of that. He may not have good Enemy Phase, but heaven help you if you're facing him on Player Phase.

Ah, and here's Lachesis. Let's talk about her plans for a minute.

See all that fly stuff she's got there. Well, aside from the Prayer Sword, she has to sell ALL of it.

That's the only way she can afford to get BOTH of these items. Or at least, that's the only way she can do that without fighting in the Arena...in retrospect, I probably could have just done that instead of sharking the 2500G, but, oh well.

But yeah, I want her to get to Level 30 this chapter, BEFORE Fury promotes; this way I can have Fury finish off most of her levels when she gains access to Staves. By doing that, I'll get her leveling done and out of the way, without having to worry about it in Chapter 5. Oh, and, there's also the fact that I still need to send Tiltyu and Levin through the Arena too. I won't do so yet, but I will soon enough; they will ALSO need the Elite Ring available once they do.

But enough about that. Let's get Sigurd's equipment in order.

I don't need the Defense Ring; in fact, it will actually hinder me in getting more kills on the Hero Sword. But I DO need the Barrier Ring, because there's gonna be a lot of magic flying around.

Whoa baby, look at that move! Sigurd can't use ALL of it until Sylvia dances for him, but man...just look at it :prepop: ...

Oh yeah, speaking of Fury, she's got herself a job to do.

Look at these jerks...

Just look at them. The game designers KNEW that the player could just trivialize everything by putting, say, Lex on top of your castle and waiting for everyone to come to you; this way you could just do this to them...

So they designed most of their maps so that you'd miss out on valuable items if you didn't hurry up. On Chapter 2, you'd miss the Knight and Bargain Rings, as well as Lachesis as a playable Unit. In this Chapter, you'll miss out on a lot of Gold, as well as two very useful items (one of which we won't be getting anyway). And then, of course, there's the "don't let your conquered castles get burned" mechanic. It's quite clever, actually.

Anyhoo, Fury gets herself the Uber Slim Sword and flies up to where Sigurd is...

And then Azel, Aira, and Lachesis does likewise, with the latter getting an instant 70 EXP (Aira was just there to act as Return Staff fodder).

Alright everyone! Let's get this SHOW on the ROOOA-

...D? There was no Talk command here; the game just spits out this random conversation if you happen to have Sylvia dance next to Fury this chapter. Not only that, but the event grants 50 Love Points to Levin X Sylvy 50 Love Points and 25 to Levin X Fury; this isn't a problem for me, but it could be one for YOU if you haven't been diligent about having Dew stalk her.

Sylvia: I seeee. So you don’t mind if him and I go out??

Fury: No, I don’t mind… (?)

Sylvia: Really?? You’re not pretendin’ t’not like him or somethin’ are ya?

Fury: Pretend? What ar-… why would I need to pretend??

Sylvia: I don’t know.

Sylvia: Well, then I’m goin’ after him.

Fury: Umm… whomever is to be the next queen of Silesia needs to have a little grace and dignity like our own Queen Rahna.

Ooooh, shots fired~...

Sylvia: So you’re sayin’ I’m no good somehow!? How rude!

Fury: No, I’m just...

Sylvia: Hmph, Fine! You just wait and see!

Fury: …...

Well ok then...THAT happened. Kind of a jerk move on the developer's part; FE4 players tend to have a problem with Sylvia glomping herself onto Levin; there's always at least one thread saying something to the effect of "HELP! I wanted to pair Levin with some other girl, but Sylvia got there first! What do I do?!". And there's just nothing you CAN do once they've been married; all you can do is hope you have a past save, and try to manipulate things from there. Maybe get Sylvia killed, and revive her only after you've made the pairing you want. Or, get into a Love Point race by exploiting Jealousy, I dunno.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it though; I have everything under control.

And hey, MORE romance! And it has one of my FAVORITE tracks in the game!

Tiltyu: I need to ask you something.

Azel: Me?

Tiltyu: Is that okay? It’s just that… Well, I’ve known you all my life, right? And I’ve got no one else I can talk to about this.

Oh wow, backstory. Who knew these guys were buds?

Azel: Yeah, sure. What’s the problem?

Tiltyu: Well… it’s like… I’ve just been kinda followin’ Claude around, right? But I’m startin’ to wonder if it was such a good idea.

Azel: Why?

Tiltyu: I don’t know. It’s just that everyone acts kinda funny around me. And no one ever talks about my dad when I’m around.

For reference, her dad is Reptor: Emperor of Exposition, all around bad guy, and pretty much the sole reason we're even IN this mess to start with...well, as far as Sigurd knows, anyway.

Azel: Really? Yeah, that’d suck. But I think everyone likes you, Tiltyu. Everybody’s just not sure how to act around you. That’s all. Just be yourself! People’ll come around. You’ll see.

And for the LOVE of all that is good, NO EXPOSITING! I don't know if stupendous soliliquies run in the family, but...just...don't. Just don't, and you'll be fine~.

Tiltyu: Yeah, you’re right. Thanks, I feel a bit spunkier now.

Azel: Hahaha! You’re too much, Tiltyu! Come find me anytime you need someone to talk to, okay?

Tiltyu: Will do! Thanks, Azel!

+5 HP for Azel! And they also get +100 Love points too, so be sure to get this if you're pairing the two (I'm not). And then we have one more conversation!

Claude: No, I’m just sorry I haven’t been of much help to you. I made it back to Grandbell and I had every intention of telling His Majesty the truth. But Reptor’s people kept me from the king… Now, I too have been branded a traitor.

Sigurd: Claude, I’ve had it with them! I tell you, I’m just about ready to storm Grandbell to expose those bastards!

Claude: Sir Sigurd, violent tactics never yield positive results. We have to stick this one out.

Sigurd: But Claude...

Claude: I know exactly how you feel. Unfortunately, I believe this one is in fate’s hands. …There is little we can do right now.

And that's that. You don't get anything from it, but it is a nice reminder that Claude has things to do as well. He was the ruler of Edda, so naturally he'd try and exert some influence. Reptor obviously had a contingency for that, but, guy gets credit for trying.

There's my gaggle of guys! Some of them are only there for Return Staff fodder, and some are only outside to build up Love Points with each other (like Levin X Tiltyu, Dew X Sylvia, and Holyn X Brigid). However, Claude, Alec, Azel, Lex, Fury, Brigid, and Beo all have things to do, for this is one of the only maps that I'm actually going to want multiple people for. Even Sigurd can't tank magic THAT well, much less his subordinates; so Claude's coming along to spam Reserve, Beo, Fury, & Brigid are out to collect some Gold, and the rest are there to sweep up the Villages before the pirates can do anything to them.

On that note, it's time for Enemy Phase.

Cuvuli: Now to show these traitors the true ferocity of a wind mage!

"It's OUR turn to finally get the spotlight, darnit! If we can't be 'valiant', we can always be 'violent'!"

Speaking of violence...

Daccar: Heheh. This is getting interesting. Wouldn’t you agree, Pamela?

Pamela: Indeed. The fugitive army is quite a surprise though. They may prove to be a real threat. So you think our takeover of Silesia will go smoothly if Duke Maios can just draw them in?

Daccar: I do. I’ve already reached a private agreement with Grandbell. Andre’s reinforcement troops should be arriving shortly. Heh heh… Pamela, the day I am to become Silesia’s next king is not that far off.

Pamela: Yes, it shall certainly come.

"Chapter 4: Rise of the Recolours!!"

Anyway...

Killing that pirate with the Light Sword was actually a mistake; I only had 49 Kills on my Light Sword before, so this allowed me to get the 50 Kills needed to put the Critical skill on it. However, I don't WANT to kill any of the mages this time, because...

"Fooly Culi" here has the Sleep and Libro Staves. The Sleep staff is annoying, obviously, but that's ok; there's some A.I. manipulation we can do to get around it.

Yes, he will ALWAYS choose to heal his men first! He will NEVER use the Sleep Staff until all of his men are at full health! So if Sigurd can knock them down to 17 HP without killing them (shocking, I know), we can trap him into spamming the Libro Staff over and over. We won't ever need to use the Restore Staff or anything like that! Sigurd can just punch straight through their ranks without fear!

Say what you want about her character; Sylvia is darn useful as a unit!

And speaking of useful units, we have this!

Well what is SHE gonna do with it? Go on and take it you dummy!

Aideen: I want you to have it, Jamka. Silesia’s Pegasus Knights are fierce.  Now you’ll be able to properly defend yourself.

Jamka: Thank you, Aideen. I’ll take good care of this. Let’s catch up when this fighting is all over.

Aideen: Jamka… I’ll be praying for you.

Whoo! Awesome! But the only way you can get it is if Aideen is married to either Jamka or Midir. But if she's married to Azel instead, you gain access to something even MORE valuable!

Aideen and Azel:

Aideen: Azel, be careful out here, okay?

Azel: Yeah, you too, Aideen.

Aideen: This is so strange. I would never have imagined we’d end up together.

Azel: Why? Because I’m younger than you?

Aideen: No, I don’t know… It’s just strange.

Azel: Yeah, well, I’m pretty shocked myself. To think that you’d become my wife. This is like a dream!

Aideen: Really? How come? Don’t you think we were meant for each other?

"Might you even say that we were a...pre-destined pairing, as it were?"

Azel: It’s just that I always held you in such high regard. The first time I saw you my heart started beating so fast! I was just a kid, too! But ever since that day you were the only one for me.

Aideen: Oh, Azel!

Azel: Gosh, I feel so stupid. Oh, I just remembered! Here, this is for you. This is called a Rescue Staff. You can use it to bring someone to you if they need help. I’m sure you’ll find a use for it.

Aideen: Azel, I’m so happy to be with you! There’s no one in this world I’d rather be with.

And there we have it; the Rescue Staff. It is SO stupidly broken, that I actually devoted an entire War Room to this one! It takes a unit that's up to 10 spaces away, and warps them right next to the caster. This, then, allows for truly ridiculous manuevers like this...

Or this...

Or even THIS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRF8CLt9tEQ&index=7&list=PLwvweEKnS3AEoRUo-SMBu8zUkvudkzAvZ

It's...pretty absurd, isn't it? I could've used this for the run...but then it's like, "what's the point of playing then?" Like, why bother doing an AAAA rank run challenge...if it's not going to be an actual challenge?

As for using the Rescue Staff in a regular Chapter 4 and 5 run, I didn't like the idea; it slaughters the Tactics rank, sure...but that one's trivially easy anyway. EXP is the real challenge in this game, and pairing Aideen with either Azel or Claude (he gives it to her in Chapter 5) hamstrings their son's combat viability.

Aideen and Midir:

Aideen: Midir, I have something for you.

Midir: …This is a Hero Bow, right? It’s okay for me to have this?

Aideen: Yes. I bought it specifically for you. Silesia’s Pegasus Knights are fierce opponents. Now you’ll be able to properly defend yourself.

Midir: My lady… I still feel like I’m in a dream or something. Being with you is all I ever wanted in life...

Ooooook Midir, dial it back a bit :stare: .

Aideen: I’ve also felt the same way, Midir. I had wanted to say something to you for so long. Just call me Aideen, okay? Now, don’t get yourself hurt out here. I’ll be praying for you.

And that's all of Aideen's conversations; goodness, this chapter has a LOT of talking in it, huh?

This here'll end my turn; again, nothing too significant in any of the details. Just be sure to stick Dew to Sylvia, and keep Brigid and Claude trucking along.

16 Damage to Sigurd...not a WHOLE lot, but not something I can just ignore either.

Ah well, at least Culio's distracted.

Oh, and Deetva's coming too, but I'm not really worried about her, Claude's just too good at keeping Sigurd topped off on HP.

:keke:

Ah, what's this? Lachesis is running out of Return Staff charges? Guess she'd better start trekking back next turn.

:boom:

Again, Azel's unexpectedly great here; the guy can take on three mages at once without dying, and do really good damage in return!

Claude is just pain awesome.

And Sigurd is Sigurd :D .

I'm almost done now; these are the attack ranges of the two closest mages, so I positioned my cavalry around that.

C,mon, ya pansies!

This really is perfect; I'm all but guaranteed to sweep these guys now that Azel's chipping in!

And there's not a blasted thing the mages can do to stop the murder train either.

So on that note, Sigurd trounces this poor guy with the Hero Sword, and then ends his turn on this SPECIFIC spot to take on Deetva and her squad!

But first, a village.

: Magic has attributes much in the same way as weapons do. Fire is stronger than Wind, Wind is stronger than Thunder, and Thunder’s stronger than Fire. However, Light and Dark magic have the upper hand on all of ’em.

"Light Magic also has the upper hand on Dark Magic, but the game's not explaining that for some reason".

Alrighty then, LINE EM UP!

You know, 'valiance' stops being impressive when you can't put a scratch on one guy :colbert:. Oh, right, Deetva vs. Sigurd.

Deetva: It’s such a shame, but you’re going to die!

"And I, Sigurd, am an important enough character to get my own sprite. How bout you?"

Actually, let's be a little fair here. Deetva is a surprisingly competent fighter, as you can see below:

Her offense isn't that incredible, but it's still enough to kill Sigurd if he gets knocked around too much by the mages; that's part of why Claude's coming along for now. Furthermore, she's surprisingly durable thanks to her Prayer Ring and high speed.

Shame the same can't be said for her troops. They're a slight improvement over Eltshan's Cross Knights, but this is also where you start being able to mass promote your units. And you've seen how crazy the promotions in this game can get; the boosts they give you are far beyond whatever advantages these women had over Eltshan's men.

But whatever, Sigurd's got a job to do, and I don't want to waste a movement space using the Hero Sword. So,

Down she goes.

Now, instead of taking the obvious route to Maios, I'm going to have Sigurd ride over the southern mountains instead. Why? Because if you go onto the island just before the one Thove is on...this happens:

Maios: They can’t cross without this key. Heh heh… I can just imagine their dumbfounded faces!

He just destroys the bridge, preventing you from getting across UNLESS...

You happened to have brought Dew with you. But then I would've either had to tear him away from Sylvia (allowing her to claim Levin), or I would have had to have Sylvia go with him (which hampers Lachesis's leveling). Besides, I only lost about 8 Turns by not doing things the "optimal" way (with the Rescue Staff and everything), so it's just not worth the effort.

Anyway, Fury gets her Gold from this guy too before going off to take care of the guys that the other knights won't be able to get to. And for those wondering, yes, one of our two Silesians actually have dialogue with Deetva.

Deetva vs. Fury:

Deetva: Heheheh, Fury… This is a fine meeting… I’ll present your head to Duke Maios as a souvenir!

Fury: No way, Deetva! I’m not the Fury you once knew. I won’t lose.

Deetva: Heh. Fury, you crybaby. You’re all talk. Don’t make me laugh!!

So what, was Deetva a school-yard bully or something? I could see that.

And now for more dialogue and Gold.

: Only direct descendants inherit the full power of the gods. And they’re the only ones who can handle divine items such as the Sacred Relics. However, if the blood of immediate family members crosses, the blood becomes enriched, and their progeny’ll reap the full power of their god…

:dance: LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WE HAVE, AN FE4 MEEEEEEEME!! :dance:

Now back to the game; let's see if we can pop off Cuvuli, shall we?

Why not? This IS what generally happens when you try to take on a full squadron of horseriders with a handful of scrawny nerds...on foot...

I'll give him credit though; the guy took his death pretty well. Shame that neither he nor Deetva drop any items; the game designers kind of crammed them all in Chapters 1-3. We won't be getting any more of them till Chapter 6, so...we'll just have to make do with what we have.

Off Claude goes to Sailane; he's just about done here...

Brigid is sent off to another village...

And then we finish up our turn by having Lachesis break her Return Staff before going inside.

Pfeh, stupid pirate. You'll be sorry when Fury gets here...

So yeah, I think we'll call that an episode. There's been a ton of talking, we just axed off Maios's two main generals, and this update's going to end up spread across two posts if we go for much longer. So tune in next time to see how this battle unfolds! This is Fionordequester, signing out. Have a nice day, and God bless you all!

AAAA RANKED RUN STATS:

Time Taken This Update: 30 minutes, 46 seconds

Total Time Elapsed Over the Run: 10 hours, 3 minutes, 7 seconds~

Turns Taken This Update: 5 Turns

Total Turns Elapsed Over The Run: 136 Turns

Levels Gained This Update: 17 Levels

Total Levels Gained: 352 Levels

Things I Regret: In the Prologue, I regret the fact that Noish had to hang back as I rigged levels for Sigurd in the Prologue.

Level 28-29: 61 > 62 HP, 25(30) Str, 2(7) Magic, 22 Skl, 20 > 21 Spd, 16 Lck, 19(24) > 20 Def, 4(9) Res!

Level 22-23: 45 > 46 HP, 7 Str, 21 Mag, 11 Skl, 19 > 20 Spd, 10 Lck, 11 Def, 11 Res!

Level 27-28: 53 > 54 HP, 27 Str, 1 Mag, 15 Skl, 20 Spd, 8 Lck, 25 Def, 5 Res!

Level 19-23: 47 > 51 HP, 19 > 26 Str, 0 Mag, 15 > 18 Skl, 15 > 20 Spd, 10 > 12 Lck, 15 > 18 Def, 0 > 3 Res!

Level 2-8: 26 > 30 HP, 8 > 12 Str, 8 Mag, 11 Skl, 13 > 14 Spd, Lck 5 > 9, Def 8, Res 9 > 10!

Level 16-17: 42 > 43 HP, 15 Str, 0 Mag, 13 > 14 Skl, 13 > 14 Spd, 4 Lck, 14 Def, 0 Res!

Level 23-26: 36 > 39 HP, 0 Str, 22 Mag, 14 Skl, 16 > 18 Spd, 11 Lck, 5 > 6 Def, 22 > 23 Res!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 19, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Peer reviewing more of Mr. Holsety's script for him...and I'm looking over Gandolf's dialogue now. The guy's going for a writing style that's very similar to how they speak in the localizations, but, IMO...it takes away from some of the crassness that Gandalf had in the original. So instead of having lines like this...

What if his lines were more like THIS?

Whaddaya think? Properly irreverant, or just a little too childish? I dunno, I thought it was funny :cheeky:.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
About Manfloy's involvement, I would say that it works to the story's advantage if he's not involved all the time. Back in Verdane, he pulled the strings really heavy, going so far to outright off the king when he stopped to obediently dance. In Augustry, he did pull some strings, but it looked more like he added fuel to the fire rather than controlling the events. Now in Silesia, it seems he may not be involved at all. This strikes me like a good balance.

The heavier Manfloy can pull the strings, the more powerful he and his sect appears to be. On the other hand, if every chapter had been like Verdane where the Lopto sect practically controlled the events, we would not have much of a living and breathing world. Everything would just be the heroes vs the main villains and the rest are just puppets. To make the world feel alive, it's important that things happen without the main villains being too directly involved.

theshim
May 1, 2012

If you wouldn't mind, can you just throw up a quick list of your pairings this run? I've lost track of everyone.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Crystalgate posted:

About Manfloy's involvement, I would say that it works to the story's advantage if he's not involved all the time. Back in Verdane, he pulled the strings really heavy, going so far to outright off the king when he stopped to obediently dance. In Augustry, he did pull some strings, but it looked more like he added fuel to the fire rather than controlling the events. Now in Silesia, it seems he may not be involved at all. This strikes me like a good balance.

The heavier Manfloy can pull the strings, the more powerful he and his sect appears to be. On the other hand, if every chapter had been like Verdane where the Lopto sect practically controlled the events, we would not have much of a living and breathing world. Everything would just be the heroes vs the main villains and the rest are just puppets. To make the world feel alive, it's important that things happen without the main villains being too directly involved.

Indeed; the whole world really feels alive in this game, and that's one of it's greatest strengths. I completely agree with you.

theshim posted:

If you wouldn't mind, can you just throw up a quick list of your pairings this run? I've lost track of everyone.

Of course I can! And if anyone else ever needs a quick reminder, these are all on the War Room Part 5 Update (though the title wasn't very good about reporting that fact, so I don't blame theshim in the slightest). Here you go!

PAIRINGS:

AIDEEN X JAMKA: This is, admittedly, a slightly weaker pairing than Aideen X Midir as far as Lester goes. Continue will be nice to have, but he'll suffer greatly if he doesn't have the Pursuit Ring (which I may or may not give to him). However, Jamka and Aideen get WAY more benefit out of pairing with each other than Midir and Aideen do. Jamka, Midir, and Aideen all use large amounts of money in repairing their stuff, and none of them have access to the Uber Slim Sword, meaning that getting the Gold needed for the Elite Ring is a constant struggle for them.

Jamka, however, is almost guaranteed to clear every Arena, and get 17,500G, while Midir is so weak, that even Ranks 3 and 4 are a challenge for him! So Midir's only getting like, 4,000G at most without RNG abuse. Plus, Lester is extraordinarily easy to train due to Chapter 9, which is almost exclusively a flyer map. We haven't been introduced to those kinds of units yet, but suffice it to say, bow weapons will automatically activate Critical on flying units. And considering that we'll already have 3 Holy Weapons by then...yeah, babying Lester won't be any problem at all.

Oh yeah, and Jamka X Aideen can abuse the Jealousy system to become partners by the end of Chapter 2, while Midir X Aideen does not have that luxury. So they can get much more done in Chapter 2 than Midir X Aideen can.

There's a fair bit of debate over whether Jamka or Midir is a better father for Lana and Lester. Lana is practically impossible to screw up because she inherits all the staffs she'll ever need and her stats don't matter, and the father only matters if you want her to fulfill some niche role. Claude x Aideen is the best pairing for pure LTC runs, Azel x Aideen is probably the best if you want Lana to fight, but why would you ever want to go to that trouble? If you plan on using both the children, as you must in an AAAA run, Jamka or Midir are your only real choices. In my eyes, it comes down to whether or not you need the pursuit ring on a different child, since Jamka doesn't pass pursuit down to Lester.

AIRA X LEX: Aira's children will be showing up in the very first Chapter of Gen 2, where money will be very scarce for a while. Plus, we don't have a Thief to make donations either, so it's very important that we get either Bargain or Elite on Skahasa and Lakche. Originally I was going to give Dew to Aira, but because of that aforementioned reason, and a new strategy I discovered for how to abuse Ambush + Elite + Meteor Sword + Uber Hero Sword in Chapter 7 (against Jabarro and co.) and the Epilogue (against Burian and co.), I decided to give Lex to Aira instead. So now, not only will the sword twins never have to worry about money, but leveling them will also now be a cinch! So that's pretty grand I think, more than worth giving up Bargain.

I've never been a huge fan of this pairing because I feel that the sword twins have plenty of time to level up anyways and trounce arenas. I prefer Lex on Briggid or Sylvia (to help Patty/Leen respectively), but there are lots of ways to A rank this game, and Lex x Aira is still a great pairing.

Yeah.  Personally, I still think Ambush + Elite is a great and convenient way to level up, and Skahasa and Lakche are the only ones who are really able to easily take advantage of that.  But we'll see.

LACHESIS X BEOWULF: Unlike Aira, Lachesis's children do not get that much of a benefit out of having Lex or Dew as partners. Delmud and Nanna do NOT start out with Pursuit,and Beo's JUST the guy to fix that! Fin is a close second due to having Pursuit & Prayer, but he can't pass anything down to Delmud. Combine that with Beowulf X Lachesis's ability to exploit the Jealousy system, and a Talk conversation that gives them 100 love points, and there you go. Beowulf X Lachesis is just the way to go ;) !

Fin x Lachesis is pretty good, and if you want to get fancy Azel x Lachesis can be useful for magic sword use, but this pairing is so much easier. Lachesis' children will never be amazing combatants, but with Beowful they can chip in occasionally while charisma botting.

SYLVIA X DEW: Good news Dew! Turns out there IS someone young enough for you to marry! Her name is Sylvia, the 14 year old dancer! Hehehe...he...he...:sigh:...

Well anyways, it's good that things worked out that way; Bargain is just too good NOT give to someone. And who better than Leen, one of the weakest Gen 2 characters? Dancers tend to have that problem, but Bargain will help her by giving her essentially unlimited money; she can buy Elite whenever she wants, she can buy and sell the Defense Ring + Defense Sword (+7 to Defense) to easily manipulate Prayer (because yeah, she gets that), she can more easily repair the Sleep Sword (more on that later)...Bargain's quite nice on her.

But, Lex X Sylvia does give Leen Ambush, which is amazing when combined with the Sleep Sword in the Arena. On the other hand, Leen can also eventually get the Pursuit Ring, and any other stat rings she wants, so...it remains to be seen whether Dew!Leen is better than Lex!Leen or not. Either way, Leen needs one of those two fathers if you want her to level up efficiently. Otherwise, she just takes forever to get anywhere quickly. As for her brother, he's a staff bot, so he's good regardless.

Unfortunately, this pairing is one of the few that cannot abuse the Jealousy system...but oh well, they don't really need each other that urgently anyway.

A good pairing for the aforementioned reasons. I don't have anything more to say.

FURY X CLAUDE: Three words. "Fricken Valkyrie Staff"! It can revive dead units! Of course, it breaks after one use, and costs 30,000G to repair; but still! Plus, Claude has Blaggi blood, which increases the potency of the staves that can be used by Sety and Fee. Both of them will be Staff Botting, and with Blaggi blood, Fee will be able to spam the Warp Staff rather than the Return Staff. And who knows what fun death warping tactics we can pull off with this? I already know of at least one...

This pairing can also abuse the Jealousy system. So that's fun, though not really necessary.

Fury's second best pairing, but Levin is already taken for good reasons so...good choice.

Aw, thank you Marty :3.

BRIGGID X HOLYN: This seems like a weird pairing due to how slow it is to make; but this is THE best pairing for Patty, especially with the way I'll be playing. Holyn has minor Odo blood, which gives Patty B Swords. Supplement that with a Bargain Ring, and whatever other gifts Holyn feels like giving her (perhaps I might even throw in a Pursuit Ring), and Patty will come right out of the gates as someone who can clear the Arena's via the Uber Hero Sword! She can even dispense large sums of cash to all the other paupers who can't afford the Elite Ring! And Faval's got Ichival, so he's set no matter what.

Unfortunately, no Jealousy system exploits are possible with these two, but whatever.

Faval gets ridiculous amounts of HP in this pairing. B swords is useful to use magic weapons to safely nab gold from enemies. In unreliable runs b swords isn't really a necessity because the sleep sword can be abused so easily, but for the purposes of this run I can see why it would be useful.

TILTYU X LEVIN: Arthur immediately gets Holsety, on CHAPTER 6 no less; so there's that! Plus, Levin's Holsety blood makes both children better with the best magic type in the game, and increases their AS to ludicrous levels. Oh, and since Tiltyu gives Wrath, nothing should ever live past two attacks anyway. So if anything, Continue is actually BETTER for them than Pursuit, since that gives them the chance to just kill an opponent outright with Wrath.

But again, no Jealousy system :(

Why not pass down Holsety, and Arthur has more trouble in the arena than Sety. This is the right pairing.

Indeed. Anyways, that all was a whole lot of :words:...but one more thing. Some of you may be wondering "what happens if your female characters die before falling in love?" Well, if they don't manage to have some kids before Gen 1 ends, their children will instead be replaced by "Substitute Characters", who are basically just inferior versions of their counterparts. So instead of having the amazing Lakche and Skahasa, you will instead have the lackluster Radney and Roddlevan, who don't get either Meteor Sword or Awareness. Oh, and their growth rates are lower, and they don't inherit any weapons or items from anyone. So in other words, pair ALL of your females up! There are technically a few substitute characters that can be worth something...but none of them can ever make up for the lack of Inheritance.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I'm glad this LP still exists. This game has a real place in my heart, back from the days when Serenes Forest didn't really exist and, I believe, one of the main fan sites was known as (seriously) Siglud's Pants. Of course, FESS existed too. I think there was even an abortive forum fan translation that had Corpul as Corbett. (Yes, the very same.)

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 16, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

David Corbett posted:

I'm glad this LP still exists. This game has a real place in my heart, back from the days when Serenes Forest didn't really exist and, I believe, one of the main fan sites was known as (seriously) Siglud's Pants. Of course, FESS existed too. I think there was even an abortive forum fan translation that had Corpul as Corbett. (Yes, the very same.)

Aww...I'm glad to make you happy :). Out of curiosity, did you ever see Jay & Boo actually post (they were the main contributors to this path)? It doesn't seem as though FESS's posts are early enough to cover the years they were active.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Something weird's happening with the post. I accidentally clicked off of the tab I was working on without saving, so I lost a chunk of what I wrote. Somehow, though, it all came back when I hit the Preview button. But then when I hit the Reply button, it ACTED as though I had still lost what I had not saved...

It's confusing to explain, but, that's what this post is about. Nothing to see here.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 18, 2016

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Fionordequester posted:

Aww...I'm glad to make you happy :). Out of curiosity, did you ever see Jay & Boo actually post (they were the main contributors to this path)? It doesn't seem as though FESS's posts are early enough to cover the years they were active.

Truthfully, no. I only started playing FE after it was mostly translated into English. There were still a lot of things yet to come, but there was enough for me to play through the game and mostly understand what was going on. The second generation was still a bit dicey in particular.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hello everyone, and welcome back to Let's Max Rank Fire Emblem 4!

Last time, we beat up both of Maios's lieutenants. And now, we're gonna do to him...

...the same as we did to those guys!

Silesia’s Royal Family’s power...

Yikes, try saying THAT three times fast...

...is ‘Wind’ as is bestowed by Holsety, the God of Wind. The Velthomer’s power is ‘Fire’ as is bestowed upon them by Fala, the God of Fire. And the Freege’s power is ‘Thunder’ as is bestowed by Tordo, the God of Thunder.

NEXT!

The Dark Lord Loputousu’s power is evil. Only the divine power of Lord Narga could match it. And the only ones who inherit Narga’s power are Grandbell’s Royal Family, the Heims.

Mmm. That means that Deirdre's the only one who can use Narga's power. If she ends up giving birth to Satan, we may have to put her to some use.

So here's a mistake I made; I had Claude move east instead of west, thinking that he might still be able to keep up with Fury. It wasn't till next Turn that I figured out the futility of this.

Good thing I didn't do that with Beo, huh? Because looking at what his future lover's doing now, she seems a bit miffed about his absence :cheeky: .

Arena 3 does a lot of damage to her, though. So I withdraw her as soon as she's reduced to 12 HP, so I can manipulate Prayer in the next two Turns.

\

And in the meantime? Lachesis can use Sylvia's help...

...to snag EXP and gain back HP!

I'm skipping the next enemy turn. Absolutely NOTHING interesting happens there, trust me.

Nothing much happens here; the village is the only thing of note.

There are various advantages that come with being of divine lineage. You’ll be able to handle items of a very high class, and your innate abilities will improve quicker than others. Granted, only a few can claim to be of such divine heredity.

Waaaaaaay ahead of you there, buddy. This is an INFORMATIVE Let's Play, after all.

Then more "nothing" happened. This allowed Lachesis...

To get the HP boost she needed to abuse Prayer.

She now has to do this for the NEXT Arena opponent, but that's ok. She's running low on Return staff charges again, so that extra 2000G was worth it.

And here's our next turn; maybe something will finally happen.

Meh, it's a start.

Now then,

Fury just attacked someone on the island closest to his, so he's finally doing something about it. Not that it DOES anything for him, mind you...but still!

And would you look at that? Sigurd's finally recovered his HP!

And then Fury gets her 20th Level!

All the villages are safe now! All the innocents are safe and sound!

The only bad news is that Lachesis fails to beat this guy. Prayer only dropped his accuracy to 10% this time, so he got to execute a lucky shot :rolldice:.

Oh well; it just means that Lachesis promotes a turn later.

Man, Thove REALLY frontloaded it's forces, didn't it? There's virtually no one left to challenge us now that Deetva and Cuvuli are gone!

There'll be more to come in the future, though, so I move Brigid and Holyn accordingly.

And then Lachesis gets...

THE MOST FRICKEN INSANE GROWTHS EVER :swoon:!! 7 Strength! 7 Defense! 4 Speed! And then a metric TON of weapon levels, on top of gaining the Pursuit skill! Guys, I wasn't kidding when I compared Lachesis to Freeza; I cannot think of any promotion, any promotion at all, where the gains are this obscene! Lachesis may be an Est unit, but man does she play her role well!

So, needless to say, the Arena...no longer has any kind of chance against her. Some enemies might kill her a few times, but it's only a matter of time before she RNG's them all to death! No resets needed or anything!

With that out of the way, Lachy upgrades to the Warp Staff, goes to be by Beo's side, and we end our turn.

Holy cow, something's finally happening!

...Ok, I didn't say ALOT happened...just...something.

Alright, I'd say that's good for Holyn and Brigid.

Fricken Sage commander's just wasting his time here, again. He THINKS he has a chance of hitting Sigurd, but he's not accounting for his Leadership Stars :keke:.

Meanwhile, Lachesis gets to Level 28. We're going to stop there and sell her Elite Ring, because she's got two people to warp on this chapter anyway.

You know what that means? Tiltyu finally gets to have her turn in the Arena!

Ah, and Aideen gets her turn with the Return staff. She doesn't need anymore levels, but she DOES need to Return Sigurd and Fury in the next couple of turns.

Now let's make some noise!

Sigurd's Light Sword has long since become an Uber Light Sword; so you can pretty much just replace these two screenshots with cartoon sound effects, and still get the gist of how this went.

But, Sigurd still isn't immortal. And Maios is still tough enough to do a fair bit of damage to Sigurd. Things could get dicey if Sigurd is too aggressive, so,

I opt to have Sigurd soften him up on Enemy Phase instead, AWAY from those three Blizzard users.

Come at me, bro!

Maios vs. Levin:

Maios: Hmph. If it isn't Queen Rahna's idiot son. So you've come back.

Levin: Sorry, uncle, but for Silesia's sake, I must kill you.

Sorry Levin...

You're gonna have to leave this one up to Sigurd.

Not to worry though...

He's got things well in hand :) .

Story time!

Old Man: All the townsfolk are rejoicing!

Sigurd: …I don’t understand. I thought for sure you all considered us the aggressor here.

Old Man: Listen here. Lord Maios was nothing but a tyrant. Plain and simple. There is not a Silesian alive who does not have the utmost of adoration for Queen Rahna.

Sigurd: Wow. You don’t say? I tell you what… I’m going to leave things in your hands. I’m sure you’ll be hearing word from Queen Rahna in a day or two. But until then, I think the people should have a hand at governing themselves.

Old Man: Understood. Queen Rahna is a veritable jewel of this great land. Please keep her from harm.

Sigurd: Yes, I will protect her to the absolute best of my ability.

Mmm. And speaking of villagers, we've got some to visit. Let's see what they have to say, shall we?

Now, I'm not ACTUALLY having Sigurd visit the village; I'm just showing this screenshot for reference, because the dialogue varies depending on whether or not Dew got the bridge back up.

(If Dew has not fixed the bridge)

The drawbridge over Thove River is under the control of Lord Maios. If it’s not down, and you don’t have a key, you’re not getting across. But I bet if you had someone handy along like a thief, you might be able get it down.

So there's your hint for that; not that we needed it.

(If Dew has fixed the bridge)

The drawbridge over Thove River is under the control of Lord Maios. If it’s not down, and you don’t have a key, you’re not getting across. But I bet if you had someone handy along like a thief, you might be able get it down. Huh… The bridge is already down? How did you know how to do that?

:mmmhmm:

Now here's ANOTHER village where the dialogue varies! BE SURE YOU SAVE AND RESET BEFORE VISITING WITH SYLVIA, BECAUSE THIS CAN CRASH YOUR GAME!!

(If you enter with anyone but Sylvia)

It is said that all direct descendants of the Crusaders have a sacred marking appear somewhere on their body during infancy. Prince Kurth’s daughter was recognised as a direct descendant of Saint Heim by the mark on her forehead.

(If you enter with Sylvia)

Wow! Sir Sigurd’s troops have come t’rescue us! Hey, you’re a dancer, arn’cha? If ya don’t mine, we’d sure like t’see yer dance. Things have been pretty rough lately. We rarely ever have time fer any fun.

Sylvia: Sure! I’ll dance for ya if it’ll cheer you up a bit. …okay… here I go!

Villager: Whoa! That was fabulous! That dancin’ energised me somehow! Thank you so much! Here’s a magic sword for ya in ‘preciation. It’ll protect ya good!

And for all that, we get...

A really good weapon! 7+ Defence is nothing to scoff at, and ANYONE can use this! So Sylvia's daughter is going to be putting this to a LOT of use!

Speaking of Sylvia, we just activated her Talk conversation with Claude! ...I dunno WHY we have to wait till after Thove, but oh well.

Sylvia & Claude: (100 Love Points Acquired)

Rather somber track to play here, don't you think? I mean, that's generally reserved for like, long lost relatives reuniting or something.

Sylvia: I’m Sylvia.

Claude: Miss Sylvia? What seems to be the problem? Did you run across some bandits, perhaps?

Sylvia: …What?

Claude: Well, it’s just that… I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you’re in your underwear.

:lol:

Sylvia: Huh!? Don’t tell me you’ve never seen a dancer before! This is my dancin’ outfit. It’s jus’ like you wearin’ a robe.

Claude: Is that so? But, you must be awfully cold.

Sylvia: Not at all. I’m burnin’ up in this. You see, my heart is on fire!

Claude: Dancing is that enjoyable, is it?

Sylvia: Yes! I want to do it for the rest of my life!!

Claude: Really? How do your parents feel about that?

Sylvia: I’m an orphan. This man took me in when I was real little, an’ raised me to be a dancer. But he was really mean! He would hit me when I didn’t even do anythin’. Anyway, I had enough, and I left him last year for good!

:stare:

Claude: That’s horrible! I feel for you.  You see, I have a younger sister. If she’s still alive, she’d be around your age.

This...raises up so many horrible implications. The fact that Sylvia was so clingy to Levin, the fact that she's a 14 year old girl who's all alone, the fact that she always walks around in her underwear...she really dodged a bullet by having us pick her up, instead of...say...Macbeth. Or Voltz. Just flip to any given page in the DSM-V, and you'd see something she'd have probably gotten :ohdear: ...

Sylvia: You have a sister?

Claude: Yes. But she was abducted when she was just a baby. I’ve been searching for her all these years, but still no sign of her.

Sylvia: Ohhh! I bet your sister is real elegant an’ beautiful an’ all. Nothin’ like me.

Claude: That’s not true! I find you very attractive, and you have a grace all of your own.

Sylvia: Really!?

Claude: Of course. I’d never tell a lie.

Sylvia: Wow! No one’s ever said anythin’ so nice to me! Er.. I feel funny inside… You are… so kind!

Awww...how adorable...and how sweet. Reverend Claude's sayin' ALL the right things, and it looks like Sylvia might finally know what a healthy relationship looks like. Sure, Claude's a little old for her, but...I mean, he said Sylvia would be around his sister's age. He's probably not THAT much older than her.

I don't like it as much as her and Dew (someone who's actually around her age)...but if Sylvia absolutely HAS to get pregnant by the end of Gen 1, there are probably worse ways to g-

:catstare:

Oh no...don't you dare...GAME.

Don't do this game, DON'T DO THIS! I get the fact that you're adult, I get the fact that you're edgy, but you DON'T HAVE TO-

Kaga Interviews (P6/Q8) posted:

– Additionally, much like the matter of Levin’s true form, there’s something else that players have talked about a lot…… There’s some dispute over whether Sylvia is really Claude’s missing sister, as you may know. You’ve denied this before in a different interview, but if you look at their conversations, there’s a scene that seems to suggest a connection, isn’t there? It seems like you’re setting players up [to make that connection]. We have to wonder, why did you include that set-up in the game?

How do I put this–I think it’s a great tool for influencing the players of Fire Emblem in a good direction. When I look at internet sites, Emblem fans are always incredibly immersed in discussion over some particular topic. I’m saying that it’s a great tool for getting for causing these discussions. When I see these discussions, naturally I’m very pleased, and I think they’re interesting too.

So when it comes to the relationship between Claude and Sylvia, even if I have a certain answer in mind, I don’t mean to go against [those discussions].

So let’s use our imaginations. Claude and Sylvia enter an intimate relationship that goes completely against traditional thought about his occupation, human nature, and the way of things. That is, for example, if they are long-lost siblings, what would Claude do? Isn’t it fun to think about stuff like that? Like, Sylvia, being who she is, wouldn’t care about any of that and just keep dragging Claude along, but I don’t think Claude could stand it. (laughs)

So when there seems to be a connection in a scene or event conversation, think of it as a question I’m posing. Don’t just come to a conclusion yourself–I’d like you to unfurl the wings of your imagination and have fun with it, and, without dominating the thoughts of others, partake in many discussions about it.

Shouzou Kaga: Trolling the fanbase since 1996. But really, I don't think Kaga quite realized what he was doing here. Ok, sure, "sister gets busy with brother, brother doesn't know till after the fact" is kind of funny in a twisted sort of way. And, while that's not MY kind of humor, it might be fine...

Except for the fact that Sylvia was already kind of messed up. She had no parental figures, Claude was apparently the only guy to ever make her feel very good about herself, and she's 14. Plus, we've already got this quote from Levin...

So maybe Sylvia isn't doing everything she does because "lol, that's our Sylvia!". If she DOES refuse to let Claude go (assuming they become lovers), who's to say that's not, in-itself, a sign of psychological trauma? What if she doesn't have a strong enough sense of self-worth to find someone else? What if the whole reason she's so clingy is because she's just THAT starved for positive regard?

And that's my biggest issue with FE4's story. It's not the awkward exposition, it's not the constant recolors, it's not anything like that...no, my biggest problem with this game is very similar to the problem I have with Outlander. In the same way that Outlander constantly used rape as the "go-to-answer" for creating drama, I feel like there's a similar thoughtlesness to how Kaga throws some of THIS stuff in...

Like "oooh, I have free reign; let's have someone marry her half-brother to sire Satan! THAT'LL spice things up :haw:"! Or, "guys, guys! You know what'd be REALLY funny? Let's make Sylvia and Claude siblings; I can't WAIT to see the player's dumbfounded faces!" And how about the ever-famous "shoot, this game didn't have as many chapters as I thought. How are we going to introduce the Dark Sect...ah screw it, let's just have Manfloy belt it all out in Chapter 1 :effort:".

And it doesn't stop there either. There are also going to be times in Gen 2 where Kaga TRIES to include these lofty moral ideals (like in Chapter 7 and Chapter 10)...only to then completely undercut said ideals by having some of the heroes say and do exactly what we were told they SHOULDN'T do! It's a shame to have to say that when this world is otherwise very well crafted, but...well, that's the way it goes sometimes.

But enough of that nonsense; let's have a trip through the Arena. Now, this here is important...

Tiltyu COULD just blunder her way through the Arena...but the odds are NOT in her favor. Wrath does a good job of messing people up, but almost everyone outspeeds her. Heavy damage won't avail her anything if she gets killed before she can use it, so, she's going to need a Speed Ring to go along with that.

That's why it's important to know how to manipulate Dew's Gold. I know that Tiltyu only needs an additional 10,000G in order to afford that Speed Ring; so instead of giving her ALL of Dew's Gold, I made sure to have Dew spend his money ahead of time.

That way, I can sell the Return Ring, then buy the Iron Cutter to end up with 10,135G. NOW I can give Tiltyu exactly as much as she needs, without money!

Now everyone's happy!

Except them, of course. They'll probably kill Tiltyu a few times, but the Speed Ring allows her to outspeed all of the Arena's most dangerous people; people that would otherwise wall her.

...Her levels leave a lot to be desired, but she gains staves on promotion; we won't be dealing with that for long.

And now, she spend all her time with Levin! Yayyy!!

Now let's see how Lord Daccar tries to ruin this.

Daccar: Pamela, it’s time to prove your worth. Now go lead your Pegasus Knights to victory! You’re to capture Silesia Castle before Sigurd can provide reinforcements.

Pamela: Yes sir!

Alright Mahnya; they're JUST using the Pegasus Knights. So I think you can handle this.

Mahnya: No need to worry. My knights can handle Pamela’s squad.

Rahna: Are you sure of that, Mahnya? I’ve heard Pamela is quite a fierce warrior.

Mahnya: Yes, she is a formidable opponent. But a Falcon Knight never prepares to enter a losing battle.

Rahna: I’m sorry, Mahnya. I’m just trying to understand your feelings. I...

Mahnya: Your Highness, this is the only life I know. Please, you needn’t get so emotional. I need to get going. Pegasus Knights, get into formation!

Dang woman, you da MAN :rock: !!

Hrrm...any way we can help?

Nope, not gonna happen. Just gonna have to hope for the best...:ohdear:

...Yikes...this is a really rough match-up for Mahnya. Pamela's weapon is custom made to kill her via WTA; so while Mahnya needs six hits to win, Pamela needs only five. Where Mahnya only has a 76% chance of hitting Pamela, Pamela has a 94% chance of hitting Mahnya. And though Mahnya has a 39% chance of activating Continue, Pamela almost matches that with 29%.

So Pamela has a very noticeable advantage over Mahnya. I actually used Random.Org to run simulations for this fight; and guess what? Mahnya only succeeded in 20% of the matches! So if Silesia's going to win, it's red shirts are going to have to pick up the slack!

THAT'S the way! 1-2 Range is a powerful advantage, but so is Avoid. If we get lucky, our red shirts are going to dodge so much of THEIR redshirts, that they'll make the rest of their clothes red too! And then once THAT happens, we can overwhelm Pamela through sheer numbers!

And what's this? They're only one turn away from each other! VERY good!

The Enemy A.I. moves before the Neutral A.I., so the enemy is going to charge right in the middle of the Arena, without hitting anyone. Then when the Neutral A.I. starts it's turn, it'll be open season! All but one of Mahnya's knights are going to be able to attack! Strategy everyone!

We just need to make sure that Fury gets back to the castle for her promotion. And Sigurd's going to want to be there, of course!

Alley oop!

Errgg. Good thing Fury's not fighting anymore, because that did not do much to help ANY of her weaknesses.

And there we go; Aideen still has the Return staff, so Fury can't use that yet...But she will soon! Now let the smack down begin!

...GAAAAAAAME!! THAT IS NOT WHAT I MEANT!!!

Daccar: So this must be the Beige Ritter, the reputed archery knights of Jungby… Impressive!

Andre: My father is no longer with us and my older sister is being pursued for her involvement with the Grandbell traitors. So as the new lord of Jungby I now command the entire archer brigade! Those Pegasus Knights won’t pose a problem in the face of the Beige Ritter. Now watch ’em fall!

:stonklol:

O-ok Mahnya, you can still salvage this.

Pamela's walked right into your trap, so if you can just BLITZ these guys, kill all of them REAL fast, and then fly over the mountains or something, you can get back to us before Andre gets you! You'll have to abandon Silesia, but at least you'll...

...survive...

...they're screwed. If their leader can't even take down an injured Pegasus Knight with Continue...they're screwed!! I just don't know what we can do for 'em!!

Oh, and this happens when Mahnya gets near Pamela.

Mahnya: I never imagined we would come to this!

Pamela: Mahnya, are you still fool enough to stay loyal to the queen? She knows it’s over for her. Well, I’ll become the top ranking Falcon Knight once you’re gone. Nothing personal.

Mahnya: Pamela, you’re the one acting like a fool! Well… I guess if this is how fate’ll have it. Let’s at least fight with a little grace and dignity. We are both Knights of Silesia after all.

Pamela: Sheesh… Enough of your rhetoric!

Heh. Good one Pam.

Ok, is there ANYTHING we can do?!

...Nope. Not a blasted thing...not a blasted thing...

I can't even get Sigurd back home, because I didn't give the Return Staff more than one use :cripes:.

Alright Mahnya...Can you survive?

...Nope. She's dead. And so are all her pals.

:cry:

Holy heck...I know the designers needed these knights to die, but this is overkill! They give them all Hero Bows, they give Andre and Pamela Leadership stars, they make Andre's men nigh invulnerable...and on top of ALL of that, they surround you in invisible plot walls! Like, dang man, I get that the designers needed use to stick to the script, but did they HAVE to take away the player's agency to do so?

Like, instead of having the plot walls...maybe just have there be a mass retreat from the Silesian capital?

Sigurd and Co. WANT to help, but there are so many people stampeding across the continent, that no one can get through. Fury COULD fly over the mountains, but [she's[/i] just as helpless as they are. Then make these guys yellow instead of green; make it so that you can't rescue them for levels. They'd act as roadblocks, but move in a way that you could actually start wading past them later on.

You wouldn't be able to get to Mahnya and Co. in time, but you WOULD be able to start putting your units into position; this way, there's some level of interactivity. But no, the game just screeches to a halt for 5 Turns. 5 whole turns! You can't do a blasted thing but wait for Silesia to get conquered!

...I'll give it this though; it IS pretty sad...

The fricken game-over music is playing, it's so sad...

:sympathy:

If there's one thing I have to praise about Fire Emblem, it's this: I can't think of another Strategy RPG that tugs on your heartstrings the way these games do...

Still not much we can do, so let's go to Enemy Phase again.

Actually, this whole section is scored really well. The game-over music was a nice touch, and I love how it's juxtaposed with the "Grandbell Army" theme, which plays every time Andre speaks.

Andre: Alright. My troops’ll finish up here. Then we’ll bring down Silesia Castle. Pamela, make your way north over these mountains and take Thove Castle.

Pamela: Yes sir!

Don't you worry yourselves none over Pamela; Silesia's coming down, but Thove is in no danger. The reason for this will become apparent in the next update, but for now...well, let's just say that these guys made a critical error in not accounting for Sigurd.

One more turn guys...one more turn until we can move...

And then Fury can do her part in setting things right!

2 Turns later, and all our guys are in position!

These guys are finally going to-

OH COME ON!

Yeah, how do you all like that? You don't even get to fight them this Chapter! They just slaughter everyone right before you, and then leave before we can even DO anything! If this game is trying to make me angry at them, it's working :argh: !!

Urrrrgghhh...whatever. I guess getting rid of this clown will be good enough...

Daccar: Okay. We need a patrol south of Silesia River. Send some wind mages. And Donovan, I want you to take your axemen to Silesia and occupy the castle. But don’t lay a hand on Queen Rahna. She’ll be a valuable hostage for us.

Donovan: You got it.

Rahna: Hurry! Get out of here as quick as you can!

But Queen Rahna...

Rahna: Don’t worry about me. Now get going!!

Everybody! Let’s do as the queen says. Let’s get outta here!

So there they all go; off running to take refuge in Sigurd's base of operations. But unfortunately...

Kinbo-...ergh, I mean, "Donovan", does not appreciate this.

Donovan: You don’t want to mess with me! You guys go out ‘n kill every one of ’em! No one gets away! You got me!?

Rahna: You can do what you want with me, but please don’t hurt them!

Donovan: Heh… right. You’re gonna learn what happens when you go against Daccar!

Rahna: Oh, please no...

I'm...not exactly sure how mass extermination helps Lord Daccar. The public's already going to hate you as-is; why add further fuel to the fire? I mean, sure, the civilians can't do anything, but I doubt everyone in the military is going to be happy about slaughtering their own countrymen :raise: .

...How can you guys even tell :raise: ?

Daccar: But YOU and assassins like yourself will kill anyone as long as there’s a paycheck involved. It’s no wonder they call you ‘Lamia the Wicked’. It sure suits you.

Lamia: Hehehe… I’ll take that as a compliment. So what’ll you have us do?

Daccar: For now I need you to watch the castle. Sigurd’s army just might try to attack us here.

Lamia: You gotta be kiddin’. That’s all? Well, you got it. Yo, everyone! We’ll be pickin’ off any stragglers who come this way. Stay near the castle.

It's subtle touches like this that help give some life to this game's villains. Most of them are puppy-kicking monsters, but they DO at least have their own little quirks. Gandalf was a boastful coward, Sandima was a religious fanatic, Elliot was a creeper, Macbeth was greedy, Voltz just didn't give a crud, Jacoban was bored out of his wits, Shagaal was a moron...and now these two are engaging in this...absurd conversation about how the other is just a teensy bit more evil than they are! It's great :allears:!

And, I do have to admit...it does help the story a lot. It does a lot of stupid stuff...but it also doesn't take itself THAT seriously. It was written to entertain, and it KNOWS it. Sylvia and Claude is uncomfortable for the reasons I mentioned above, and I'm not excusing Kaga for it...but, the game's goofy enough that it's not as bad as it could have been. I can assume that Sylvia is (somehow), a fully competent person, even though that would be very unlikely in real life. The only reason I even think about the things I brought up was because I over-analyze everything; and that's not something most players are going to do.

And that's a wrap everyone; can Sigurd avenge the death of all the innocent Silesians? Will Levin ever be able to forgive himself? Will Rahna be able to survive this ordeal? And will those civilians find harbor within our castle? Find out, NEXT TIME, on Let's Play Fire Emblem 4! This is Fionordequester, signing out; have a nice night, and God bless you all!

AAAA RANKED RUN STATS:

Time Taken This Update: 1 hour, 7 minutes, 41 seconds~

Total Time Elapsed Over the Run: 11 hours, 10 minutes, 48 seconds~

Turns Taken This Update: 16 Turns

Total Turns Elapsed Over The Run: 152 Turns

Levels Gained This Update: 34 Levels

Total Levels Gained: 386 Levels

Things I Regret: In the Prologue, I regret the fact that Noish had to hang back as I rigged levels for Sigurd in the Prologue.

On Chapter 4, I regret not having Claude turn around sooner. I also regret not repairing the Return Staff before giving it to Aideen.

Level 29-30: 62 > 63 HP, 25(30) Str, 2(7) Magic, 22 Skl, 21 Spd, 16 Lck, 20 > 25 Def, 4(9) Res!

Level 25-26: 44 > 45 HP, 17 Str, 5 > 6 Mag, 23 Skl, 18 Spd, 10 > 11 Lck, 18 > 19 Def, 5 Res!

Level 8-29: 30 > 46 HP, 12 > 27 Str, 8 > 9 Mag, 11 > 20 Skl, 14 > 19 Spd, Lck 9 > 17, Def 8 > 17, Res 10 > 12!

Level 5-6: 31 > 32 HP, 3 Str, 1 Mag, 4 Skl, 12 > 13 Spd, 7 > 8 Lck, 1 > 2 Def, 6 Res!

Level 19-22: 37 > 39 HP, 16 Str, 3 > 10 Mag, 16 > 19 Skl, 25 > 30 Spd, 9 > 11 Lck, 14 > 16 Def, 12 > 17 Res!

Level 8-14: 37 > 40 HP, 0 Str, 10 > 11 Mag, 19 > 23 Skl, 12 > 14(19) Spd, 11 > 16 Lck, 1 Def, 10 > 11 Res!

Level 26-27: 39 > 40 HP, 0 Str, 22 Mag, 14 Skl, 18 Spd, 11 > 12 Lck, 6 Def, 23 Res!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 14, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

*ahem*

gently caress YEAH MASTER KNIGHT

That is all.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Sylvia is probably what I'd call semi-accidental. I don't think that all of what you wrote in your analysis of her is intended, hence accidental. I say semi-accidental though because I nevertheless don't believe it's a coincidence she fits so well with the image of an attention starved teenage girl who desperately plays out her sexuality in a bid of validation.

Anyway, I gotta question the intelligence of the enemies. Sigurd has already conquered Verdane and Augustri and they nevertheless intend to fight him.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wish I could say removing Kaga meant that all the creepy things like incest he loves are out of the series but...Fates.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Crystalgate posted:

Sylvia is probably what I'd call semi-accidental. I don't think that all of what you wrote in your analysis of her is intended, hence accidental. I say semi-accidental though because I nevertheless don't believe it's a coincidence she fits so well with the image of an attention starved teenage girl who desperately plays out her sexuality in a bid of validation.

Indeed; you can tell that Kaga didn't think THAT hard about the implications of what he was writing for her...but now that you bring it up, she does fall pretty neatly into that sort of role. I remember hearing about that; where the woman is really, really beautiful, but STILL hangs out with the nerd who'd otherwise be "beneath" her (which is a stupid value judgement in itself, but that's how social circles can be). Why? Cuz she needs that reassurance, and the geeky dude is MORE than happy to give it to her...apparently not realizing that that's the kind of thing that'd wear out it's welcome after just a couple of months.

Heck, just check out the "3rd Birthday" thread; I'm not sure if it's still active, but it's pretty much the perfect demonstration of that trope.

Crystalgate posted:

Anyway, I gotta question the intelligence of the enemies. Sigurd has already conquered Verdane and Augustri and they nevertheless intend to fight him.

Yeah...I kind of glossed over it at first, just because fighting Sigurd would be an inevitable part of taking over Silesia...but then I realized "no, it's not" :cheeky:. Daccar could've just waited for Sigurd to leave before raising chaos; so I don't know why he didn't just do that :confused:.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I wish I could say removing Kaga meant that all the creepy things like incest he loves are out of the series but...Fates.

Mmm...I kind of blame that on Awakening, to be honest. It was IS's last ditch attempt at making a truly grand Fire Emblem game, one that would save the franchise. It threw everything but the kitchen sink into getting mass appeal...and unfortunately, that included drawing in the perverts. That's why we have stuff like Cordelia and Sumia's form-fitting "armor", or the skin-tight, see-through "clothes" that all the female dark mages walked around in, one of Celica's DLC pictures being drawn by a porn artist (no, seriously, the guy actually WAS a porn artist)...and let's not even bring up Nowi.

The game ships, and what do they see? They see a game that's sold well enough to save the franchise and make it popular again! So what do they do for the sequel? Why, they oughtta do even MORE of what helped Awakening to sell! Now we have face rubbing! We have Zero the bi-sexual philanderor! You can even use your male character to seduce a lesbian! Fates has a little something for EVERYONE! If you want it, Fates has got it!

...And the sad thing is, I'm not even sure I could've asked Awakening to be much different. I don't think that stuff was needed, but...well, it's kind of hard to argue with the results. :sigh: ...

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 18, 2016

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fionordequester posted:

The game ships, and what do they see? They see a game that's sold well enough to save the franchise and make it popular again! So what do they do for the sequel? Why, they oughtta do even MORE of what helped Awakening to sell! Now we have face rubbing! We have Zero the bi-sexual philanderor! You can even use your male character to seduce a lesbian! Fates has a little something for EVERYONE! If you want it, Fates has got it!

...And the sad thing is, I'm not even sure I could've asked Awakening to be much different. I don't think that stuff was needed, but...well, it's kind of hard to argue with the results. :sigh: ...

Honestly it's worth giving conquest a shot because the actual strategy game bit is probably one of the best, if not the best, in the series. There's just a poo poo ton of pandering to ignore to get at it :sigh:

As far as other strategy rpgs that go for heartstrings I feel like disgaea doesn't do it often, but the couple of times it did they really went for it.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Honestly it's worth giving conquest a shot because the actual strategy game bit is probably one of the best, if not the best, in the series. There's just a poo poo ton of pandering to ignore to get at it :sigh:

As far as other strategy rpgs that go for heartstrings I feel like disgaea doesn't do it often, but the couple of times it did they really went for it.

Conquest, huh? Haven't played that, but...that was this one, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxTV9AGZEHU

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 19, 2016

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

There are many problems with Fates, but for the most part level design and general gameplay is top notch across the 3 games. Well, Conquest is the king there, then Birthright and Revelations has...issues...but i can look past those. I'd still recommend playing them. Though, ah, maybe not all in a row...pretty easy to get burned out on them.

The baffling part about Niles being Bi and Solei "loving girls" is like
The former ONLY applies to Corrin because no other character is bi and the latter isn't just male corrin seducing the lesbian. She can not reach S Rank with ANY girl, not even Rhajat or Female Corrin.
One actually good thing I can say about the Niles/Corrin support is that the S Rank is actually pretty sweet? I went into it out of curiosity and ready to groan, but i probably would have kept it in my conquest file if it didnt mean losing out on 2 kids & their chapters.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Reposting this awesome analysis of Eltshan's character from Rinehart (user on Serenes Forest); I added a few of his other comments to the last paragraph, but everything else is from the OP.

Rinehart posted:

I've seen a lot of people say that Eldigan is the worst of the Camus archetypes. I don't agree with this statement at all; in fact, I would go so far as to say that he is actually a good character.

The main flaw that most people find with Eldigan is that he stays loyal to a tyrannical and abusive king. While this is definitely a correct characterization of Chagall, it is actually no worse than the majority of the various different rulers in Jugdral. Leptor and Langbart in Grandbell are extremely corrupt and actively conspiring against the throne; Verdane is widely recognized as a country of lawless barbarians; Silesia is undergoing an internal power struggle between brothers who wouldn't hesitate to even kill each other; Issac is in the middle of a hopeless war caused by a rogue army; Thracia's king is ruthless and willing to commit war crimes for his country. During this time period, Jugdral is basically a cesspool of corruption and political intrigue. Agustria is no different.

On top of this, Agustria's relationship with Grandbell is extremely tense, especially after Sigurd takes over Verdane. "The lords of Agustria expressed strong anti-Grannvale sentiment." (Chapter 2) Eldigan may be friends with Sigurd, but his loyalty is above all to the country of Agustria, not only because of his personality but also because the history of the Mystletainn binds him to the crown.

Furthermore, Grandbell's occupation of Agustria did not sit well with the citizens. "In a half year's time, the officials dispatched to Agustria became exceedingly reckless, and began to abuse the power they were entrusted with." (Chapter 3) For a foreign country to invade you because your own rulers are corrupt, only to turn around and apply the same corrupt practices themselves, would certainly cause the population to hate Grandbell even more. Sigurd may not have had a part in it, but as far as Eldigan is concerned, Sigurd represents Grandbell and is responsible for his country's actions. The fact that Sigurd wipes out Agustria's lords and takes on bandits in the name of justice, yet is incapable or unwilling to do anything about Grandbell's own corrupt officials, is surely hypocritical in Eldigan's view.

I don't think Eldigan ever lost his trust in Sigurd, but he simply got tired of the excuses. "Sigurd, I've heard enough." (Chapter 3) To Eldigan, while Chagall may be an incompetent idiot, he is no worse than being slowly suffocated to death by Grandbell's occupation.

[I'm not saying he made perfect decisions...Eldigan's biggest flaw is his adherence to old traditions, which causes him to be overly loyal to a crappy king. This is exactly what makes a Camus archetype]...he's a tragic character in a tragic game

I bolded the last paragraph in particular, because I think it's an important one. Eltshan didn't HAVE to throw himself onto the chopping block the way he did. Instead, he could have easily just decided to become the King himself. He could have very easily done so; he had the public support, he had leadership of Agustria's strongest military group (the Cross Knights), he had the Charisma and leadership skills, he had the Holy Weapon, he had the alibi (Sigurd: "dude was in jail when I was running around!")...heck, he even had King Azmur's support...

Sigurd: I've already received King Azmur's approval to engage the enemy. His Majesty is aware of King Imuka's assassination by Shagaal's hand, as well as Shagaal's plans to invade Grandbell. His Majesty has also stressed the importance of Eltshan's rescue for future peace negotiations. Don't worry, Lachesis. I promise we'll get Eltshan out.

So, he still didn't make perfect decisions...but then, a character doesn't HAVE to make perfect decisions to be a well-rounded character, do they? So this post on Serenes Forest still did me wonders in seeing Eltshan as a well-balanced character, rather than a walking, talking archetype.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 20, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

And another one by Melth, the author of the Max Rank FE7 and FE6 LPs on Something Awful. He "somewhat specializes" in antiquity and Italian history, and also "knows a good amount, about world history in every era". So I figured he'd be a good guy to ask about the logistics of Eltshan seizing power, and whether or not he could have done so without making the citizens of Agustria citizen. This is what he has to say, for anyone curious (and I know this is nerdy stuff, so you don't have to read)...

Melth posted:

...It's hard to give a clear answer to [whether or not Eltshan could have seized power in a relatively peaceful manner] because ultimately this is a fictional country and we don't really know much about its culture and history and economy and whatnot. In real life, coups and usurpations and revolutions and civil wars are always really complicated and usually wind up with more than two sides and sometimes years or decades of sporadic fighting after the fact.

However, it sounds like Eltshan could probably have seized power smoothly and with relatively little bloodshed. One of my favorite authors is Machiavelli (because he writes amazingly clearly about complicated ideas and because he uses lots of interesting historical examples of everything he talks about) and he talks a great deal about how to successfully take and hold power. One thing he emphasizes is that it is absolutely necessary to quickly wipe out the whole family of whoever you are overthrowing so that they don't try to avenge him years later or aren't used as pawns and figureheads against you. By the sound of it, the rest of the royal house are all already dead so there aren't any relatives of Shagaal to kill off. But Shagaal himself has to die because it is REALLY easy to take back over a country you once ruled.

Now it sounds like Eltshan will have popular support- that's absolutely essential. If he can lower their taxes a little (difficult in wartime, but maybe possible if his friendship with Sigurd lets them make peace immediately) and not shake things up too much, he should be able to keep that pretty easily.

He'll probably have enemies among the nobility because they won't see him as better than them and will think they should be king instead and so forth. In particular, anyone who would have benefited personally from Shagaal's rule will be an enemy. They need to be either killed or befriended but made less powerful quickly. Really this is the big thing, Eltshan's enemies would be whoever Shagaal would have empowered or enriched. If they can be made not a threat, then he shouldn't have anything to worry about in the near term.

Of course, in the future, this series of usurpations is likely to be used as an excuse for uprisings and whatnot for decades, but there's not much that can be done about that- except to make sure there's no one who wants to start an uprising to begin with.

So basically, Eltshan COULD have saved Agustria...but only by doing several things that would have been really out of character for him. He'd have to be ruthless, politically savvy, be a big picture thinker, AND be willing to kill the very man he had sworn to serve. And he would, indeed, want to kill him; Sigurd already showed mercy on him once, and look how THAT turned out!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hello winter soldiers! And welcome to Let's Max Rank Fire Emblem 4!

Ready to put down Daccar once and for all? I know I sure am!

And these guys are just as excited as I am!

We weren't able to get both of these Blizzard mages, but that's ok. Only the bottom one was an immediate threat to the civilians; the OTHER guy can't do nothin'!

The citizens are just too far south for the guy to hit them!

The only person in range is Holyn. And this mage is no match for his electric sliiide!

Wooo, look at 'em go! THAT'S how you dodge a Blizzard :rock: !!

Donovan: Hey! You guys get it together. Don’t let ’em get anywhere near the castle!

No better musical finale than that! So on to our next turn!

There's no red X there, but Sigurd killed someone this turn; just take my word for it :colbert: .

Also, Sylvia's getting the Defence Sword, so Dew's the first to go. Sylvia's needs to use her dance; once that happens, she's gonna get greyed out. So she'd just block the access point if I warped her first.

Fury here is still doing some warping of her own, btw. She goes from Level 22 to Level 28 in this update!

Come on Sylvy! Make Holyn proud!

There you go, THAT'S the way!

Behold the Jealousy Formation! Fury gets priority over every female except Tiltyu and Brigid! So you can use anyone who isn't from Chapter 3 as a Jealousy Bot!

And now, the cherry on top: Sir Sigurd!

See that? That's about all they were able to do to Goku :allears: !

Alright Donovan! You know what I'm going to say next?!

.......lucky guess.

Now, is Queen Rahna still alive?

Ah, good.

Rahna: I feel so useless. So many people have died… I can’t tell you how horrible I feel! And poor Mahnya...

The rest of the conversation actually has two different ways it can go:

(If Daccar is still alive)

Sigurd: Queen Rahna, don’t lose heart. I will personally take it upon myself to avenge her death. And Daccar has gone way too far! I request your permission to lay siege to Zaxon Castle.

Rahna: Lord Daccar has put the innocent citizens of Silesia through enough suffering. The man’s a murderer, nothing more. He must pay for his crimes.

Sigurd: Alright. Well, we’d better start making our way to Zaxon. Please get some rest.

Rahna: Sir Sigurd, you be especially careful. Let’s meet up after you get Zaxon under control.

(If Daccar is dead)

Sigurd: Queen Rahna, don’t lose heart. We were able to avenge Mahnya’s killer. I wish to apologise for moving my soldiers without your permission.

Rahna: That’s not a problem at all. I really appreciate all you’ve done. I’ll be by Zaxon Castle later. Let’s meet up again then.

Hear that? Pamela and Co. are now a complete non-issue. Why? Because Daccar is going to get all freaked out, and order Pamela to come storming back to Silesia...I dunno HOW he does that, what with them being on completely opposite sides of the mountain range...But hey, I'm not complainin'.

But, there's just one thing. The Pegasus Knights will still aggro to anyone in their attack range. So Sylvy and Dew are going to have to deal with this one next turn; otherwise, they're not gonna make it to the village.

So let's re-establish the Jealousy Formation...

Here we go! Next Enemy Phase!

Daccar: What the hell is Donovan doing out there!?

The cutscene ends there if none of the other commanders are alive. But if they ARE...

(If Lamia is alive)

Daccar: drat, it’s inevitable. Order Lamia to attack them. We can’t let them get near the castle.

(If Pamela is alive)

Daccar: Tell Pamela’s unit to chase down Sigurd’s army. We’ll have to pull an all-out assault!

And THAT there is why we didn't need to worry about Pamela's raid on Thove. She and her units just double back the moment you conquer Silesia! So long as Sigurd is fast enough, they are a complete non-issue!

(Outside, if Lamia is alive)

Lamia: Why’s Daccar so drat freaked out? Okay, let’s go work up an appetite!

Then Lamia moves.

But again, that's not an issue...Oh don't get me wrong, Lamia and her units ARE formidable in their own right...

But there's just ONE li'l thing that brings them down...they're still foot units! So there's not really any complicated A.I. tactics that you need to do with them like there was with Eltshan; you can just have Sigurd go around them. And if you DID want to fight them?

You'd just use hit and run tactics. You wouldn't want to fight them all at once, but you CAN just pick them off one-by-one!

That's not relevant to us though; we're just gonna refill our HP by beating up Atlas. And repair our weapons while we're at it.

Ugh, LOVE that 12 Move!

This Pegasus Knight is the only one in range of our two kids, and the rest are going to be permanently out of range in the next turn.

So I take advantage of this opportunity to get 2000G for Dew!

Meanwhile, Tiltyu and Midir get themselves a free level off of a citizen.

And then Levin goes to be by her side. Now, he has a 290 Love Point conversation with Fury now. DO NOT TRIGGER THIS NEXT CONVO UNLESS YOU'RE TRYING TO PAIR THE TWO!!

Fury: What? Oh, about Mahnya...

Levin: …Yeah.

Fury: Ah, so you and her were… I’m sorry. I didn’t know.

Fury! You’ve got it all wrong. When I was a little kid I thought your sister was hot. But that was then. Now it’s you.

Fury: Eh!?

Levin: I love you, Fury...

And that's it; rather abrupt end to the conversation, but eh. But dang...that would've been really interesting. Imagine! Mahnya as a playable character! Mahnya as a possible 2nd option for Levin! THAT would've been pretty cool :sigh: ...

That's not happening though, and neither is FuryXLevin. So she contents herself with using up the Return Staff and going back inside the castle.

Next Enemy Phase...

Sylvia dodges the Javelin throw!

Ergh...I mean, she DID...I think...?

Yeah, she did; and none of Pamela's other women are gonna bother her either.

Moving swiftly on...

Fury doesn't get ALL the Return charges back...

But she gets enough! I might've wanted to sell her Uber Slim Sword first, THEN repaired the staff...but whatever.

She's still got enough to easily cap in Chapter 5.

Midir's next level up will then conclude our business at Sailane. He's gonna be getting the rest of the citizens, because Tiltyu doesn't need any more of them.

As for the Thove group; Dew kills the Knight attacking his hubby!

YEAH, NOBODY THROWS A SPEAR THROUGH HIS GIRL'S HEAD!

...Granted, there probably wasn't much in there anyway...but still!

Now back to Sigurd. This move puts Sigurd in range of one of the Killer Bow archers. But that's ok; even if it's a critical hit...

Sigurd's still fine :allears: .

What a guy!

I could've put him somewhere where he wouldn't get attacked by the easternmost swordfighter; but that's alright. We'll be using the Hero Sword a lot in the future, so I'm willing to take the 10-12 second time loss. No one else can attack Sigurd, so he's in no danger.

HEYYY!! Lex and Aira are married now! Now I can use Lex as Return fodder!

And then the next Enemy Phase...

...passes without incident.

I'm hoping that I can conquer Zaxon this turn, so...

I'm having Holyn and Brigid go back inside; I need them to go through the Arena at SOME point!

And so does Beo, which is why he's leeching off his rich spouse.

Hmm...what-say we look at some castle conversations between lovers? Bookofholsety's script's been blocked since the Beta patch came out, so I had to translate these myself. Keep in mind that these are not totally literal translations! I was aiming to preserve the spirit of what was being said more than the grammar.

Lex: [lex_wife]! ...Er, t-there you are. You're late.

Lex: Ah...You were waiting for ME, eh [lex_wife]?

Aira: Phew...You were gone for a long time, [aira_husband]; you had me worried SICK about you!

Aira: [aira_husband]...You were waiting for me?

Beowulf: Aha, thought you'd be here.  Seems I was right.

Beowulf: [beowulf_wife]?  You were waiting for ME?

Lachesis: Good grief...Worrying for you has caused me such consternation...

Lachesis: Oh! [lachesis_husband]! You were waiting for me, dear?

Again, nothing REALLY important; I just enjoy including these small things.

Ok! Sylvy's almost there!

And soon, Daccar will fall! Be sure to get your Hero Sword up to 50+ kills before fighting him!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah.

Dude's not even worth a GIF...He's basically Maios, but with far fewer henchmen. It's just those three guys; and they don't even move unless he dies!

Now, before we finish up...

There's one village that we missed...

If Prince Kurth’s daughter were to bear a child, that child would become heir to the Grandbell Kingdom. That’d put the husband to be, Lord Alvis, into quite a position of power, I’d say.

Then Alvis's gonna be weeping big, salty tears into his pillow soon. Deirdre is OUR wife, not his! If he tries to resist, well...I ran some simulations on Sigurd vs. Alvis. If we assume that Sigurd reaches his Lvl 30 averages and has his best weapon equipped....Well, let's just say that things don't work out too well for him ;) !

quote:

VS.

Round 1: Alvis goes first (93), Alvis does 46 to Sigurd (53), Alvis uses Continue (10), Alvis kills Sigurd (83)!

Round 2: Alvis goes first (61), Alvis does 46 to Sigurd (16), Continue doesn't activate (62), Sigurd does 36 (75), Sigurd kills Alvis!

Round 3: Sigurd goes first (18), Sigurd does 36 (68), Sigurd kills Alvis (61)!

Round 4: Sigurd goes first (39), Sigurd does 36 (27), Sigurd misses (93), Alvis does 46 (96), Continue doesn't activate (70), Sigurd kills Alvis (42)!

Round 5: Sigurd goes first (16), Sigurd does 36 (27), Sigurd kills Alvis (4)!

Round 6: Alvis goes first (76), Alvis does 46 Damage (29), Alvis uses Continue (33), Alvis kills Sigurd (76)!

Round 7: Sigurd goes first (5), Sigurd misses (87), Sigurd does 36 (4), Alvis does 46 (52), Continue doesn't activate (89), Sigurd kills Alvis (63)!

Round 8: Sigurd goes first (15), Sigurd does 36 (57), Sigurd kills Alvis (58)!

Round 9: Sigurd goes first (9), Sigurd does 36 (54), Sigurd misses (87), Alvis does 46 (67), Continue doesn't activate (94), Sigurd kills Alvis (57)!

Round 10: Sigurd goes first (9), Sigurd misses (91), Sigurd does 36 (23), Alvis does 46 (77), Continue doesn't activate (71), Sigurd kills Alvis (37)!

Round 11: Alvis goes first (93), Alvis does 46 (86), Alvis uses Continue (23), Alvis kills Sigurd (27)!

Round 12: Sigurd goes first (39), Sigurd misses (96), Sigurd misses (91), Alvis does 46 (74), Alvis uses Continue (13), Alvis kills Sigurd (16)!

RESULTS: SIGURD WON 66%, ALVIS WON 33%

Alvis won a few of them, sure. But he only did so through Continue; and that's nothing some good ol' RNG manipulation can't fix :keke:!

Now back to the home base; this here is our very last citizen! Midir gained himself 5 levels, and Tiltyu got herself 1. But before we finish up...

We've got three more units who need to go through the Arena. Beowulf here beats everyone up to Arena 5...

Get's himself a deceptively useful promotion (he also gets Charge from this)...

And then pwnstomps everyone else!

Brigid does the same (yes, she has the Elite Ring)...

And then Levin gets warped right on over to Silesia Castle. Why are we doing that? Because Sigurd says it's really, really, REALLY important!

Sigurd and Levin:

Sigurd: I never would have imagined Jungby’s archer brigade would be here.

Levin: Yeah. Well, I was the one who screwed up. I haven’t had my head on straight lately. I should’ve been protecting the country and helping my mother. But instead, I just took off. I really think Mahnya got herself killed doing my job.

Sigurd: Well, I wouldn’t go that far, Levin. You need to care for your mother now. You must make sure Mahnya didn’t die in vain.

Levin: Yeah, I know. You don’t have to tell me that.

Sigurd: …Well, alright then. Ah! One more thing. Have you been to see Queen Rahna yet? Don’t forget to go. It’s very important!

Man Sigurd; when you put it THAT way :allears: ...

Rahna: I think Sir Sigurd has had a good influence on you.

Levin: C’mon, give me a break. You’re treatin’ me like a kid or something. Sir Sigurd is NOT that much older than me, you know.

Rahna: Dear, Sir Sigurd is light-years ahead of you when it comes to responsibility. You still have much to learn from him. I need a prince who can put my mind at ease. Especially since Mahnya is no longer with us.

Levin: …That should’ve been me out there. Her death has really made me think, mum. Mother, I will protect you from here on out. I solemnly swear I will NEVER leave your side again.

Rahna: Levin… I never knew such endearing words could come out of your mouth. Well, that’s put me a bit at ease. But I want you to stay with Sir Sigurd. He needs your strength.

Levin: But what about you?

Rahna: I’ll be fine, Levin. You, as a descendant of the Wind Crusader, must guide the world onto the proper path. I believe the time has come for me to entrust you with the Sacred Wind Tome, Holsety. Here you go. It’s yours now.

Levin: So this is our family’s Book of Holsety! Eraagh… What power! Where’s this heat coming from?

Rahna: Levin, please remember the Wind Crusader flows like a cool breeze guiding all living beings to the path of peace. His way is never to be confused with violence.

Levin: Yes, I understand now. That is the only way I could hope to live my life.

Rahna: Hmm… You are without a doubt a child of the wind. Levin, you need to get going. Take care and use sound judgement out there.

Levin: But mother...

Rahna: Go! Please...

Levin: Okay. You take care.

Rahna: Levin...

YYYAAAYYYY!! It's the most awesome weapon in the game!!

Mwahahahaha...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Pamela~...

Ohhhh Paaamela~...

HEEERE'S JOHNNY!!

Pamela: I finished off Mahnya, making me the highest ranked knight. Hahaha...

Levin: Argh, Pamela! You… you...

Pamela: Heh, you’re the bad guy in all this, Lord Levin...

Yeah, well...you're in no position to judge.

No really, you can't. Cuz you're dead.

And so's Daccar!

Hey, any plan that involved attacking Sigurd probably wasn't that good to start with :cheeky: .

Now let's wrap this up.

Rahna: If at all possible, I’d like you to station your troops here at Zaxon Castle. Duke Langbart of Grandbell brought in a large military force and overran Lubeck Castle. They’re a mere stone’s throw to the east. The citizens of Silesia are a bit uneasy right now. They don’t want a war with Grandbell.

Sigurd: Langbart’s military is here for us, not Silesia. The Silesians have been too kind to us. This my problem, and I can’t drag them into it. We need to move out of Zaxon Castle at once and settle this with Langbart.

Rahna: Wouldn’t that be a reckless move? I can’t see how you could win!

Sigurd: If we stay put, they’ll just attack us here. Queen Rahna, there’s no time to dispute this.

Rahna: You really think so? Oh, how sad this all is...

Sigurd: Queen Rahna, this year in Silesia has been wonderful for me. You’ve been like a second mother. You see, I lost my mother when I was very young. I grew up not knowing what a mother’s affection felt like. But for the first time I felt what that feels like through you. I’m sorry to leave so suddenly. I so look forward to the day we meet again. Until then...

Dang...that year in Silesia must have been one heck of a year. I wish we had gotten to see that, actually :unsmith: .

Rahna: The same goes for me, Sir Sigurd. You be careful and don’t push yourself too hard. I’ll be praying for Deirdre's safe return.

Actually, Deirdre HAS returned...and that's kind of the problem. Manfloy wiped out all her memories in Chapter 3, and now he's dropped her into Alvis's lap somehow. So between him, Duke Langbart, and Duke Reptor, we've got THREE Holy Weapon users to deal with :ohdear:...

So what about it, guys? CAN we defeat them? Can we finally clear Sigurd's name? Can we stop the marriage before it's too late? Can we find a way to make Manfloy pay for his crimes? Or will our dastardly villains have the last laugh? Find out, on Chapter 5 of Let's Max Rank FE4! This is Fionordequester, signing out; have a nice day, and God bless you!

AAAA RANKED RUN STATS:

Time Taken This Update: ~37 minutes and 28 seconds

Total Time Elapsed Over the Run: 11 hours, 44 minutes, 23 seconds~

Turns Taken This Update: 7 Turns

Total Turns Elapsed Over The Run: 159 Turns

Levels Gained This Update: 31 Levels

Total Levels Gained: 417 Levels

On Chapter 4, I regret not having Claude turn around sooner. I also regret not repairing the Return Staff before giving it to Aideen.

Level 7-12: 35 > 40 HP, 9 > 12 Str, 0 > 1 Mag, 7 > 9 Skl, 10 > 14 Spd, 8 > 9 Def, 0 > 1 Res!

Level 23-24: 44 HP, 17 Str, 5 Mag, 17 Skl, 27 Spd, 22 Lck, 14 > 15 Def, 6 Res!

Level 29-30: 46 HP, 27 Str, 9 Mag, 20 Skl, 19 Spd, Lck 17, Def 17 > 18, Res 12!

Level 11-17: 39 > 44 HP, 1 > 2 Str, 13 > 15 Mag, 15 > 21 Skl, 20 > 25 Spd, 9 > 10 Lck, 6 > 7 Def, 11 Res!

Level 6-7: 32 > 33 HP, 3 Str, 1 Mag, 4 Skl, 12 > 13 Spd, 8 > 9 Lck, 2 Def, 6 > 7 Res!

Level 17-22: 43 > 48 HP, 15 > 19 Str, 0 Mag, 14 > 26 Skl, 14 Spd > 22 Spd, 4 > 7 Lck, 14 > 17 Def, 0 > 3 Res!

Level 22-28: 39 > 41 HP, 16 > 17 Str, 10 Mag, 19 Skl, 30 Spd, 11 > 13 Lck, 16 > 17 Def, 17 Res!

Level 17-22: 44 > 49 HP, 22 > 24 Str, 1 Mag, 22 > 23 Skl, 21 Spd, 12 > 17 Lck, 15 > 17 Def, 10 > 11 Res!

Level 14-15: 40 HP, 0 Str, 11 Mag, 23 Skl, 14 > 15(20) Spd, 16 > 17 Lck, 1 Def, 11 Res!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Well executed plan! Destroy the queen's armies, capture the queen, capture her strongholds and be surprised as Sigurd moves in and destroys the rebellion.