Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I think you should have expected the darkest depths of the Japanese internet to be scary

but that aside, if that works for you, just roll with it. I guess my one suggestion would be to record and youtube the streams if possible? Time zone bullshit means there's probably a few people who can't make it when you're live who might still like to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Yeah, definitely make sure the streams can go to youtube. Combinations of time zones and work schedules can leave a lot of people missing out otherwise.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Well, that's that; I've done a practice run, translated the notes, and now everything's good. So, Onmi; would you like to join as co-commentator? I ask because (and these'd be slight spoilers for anyone who hasn't played Gaiden)...

I was thinking I'd want two people to join me, that way there wouldn't be too much dead air in the stream. It won't matter if you haven't played Gaiden before; I'm just interested in what your thoughts on Gaiden's maps and mechanics would be, given that a lot of them seem like they contradict the philosophies you have. Then I'd balance that out with someone who really liked Gaiden's maps, and well; we'd have a full and complete package :).

What would you say to that, Onmi? Thanks for your time!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
By the way, I have a question. Is there a way to have a child with Pursuit, Continue, and Charge simultaneously? If they had a Brave weapon on top of that, and capped Speed in their promotion, how many times could they possibly attack?

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

We called it "archer persistence " back in the day. The answer is, even without Hero Weapons, as many times as they want to. I suspect it caps out around the total remaining durability of the equipped weapon, since the speed hit from the broken weapon tanks your odds of the skill activating.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Junpei posted:

By the way, I have a question. Is there a way to have a child with Pursuit, Continue, and Charge simultaneously? If they had a Brave weapon on top of that, and capped Speed in their promotion, how many times could they possibly attack?

Faval can get all three from his class and Jamka as a father. In theory he could attack as many as 16 times.

That...is one BADASS Archer, actually.

But you can do even WORSE. Jamka + Ira gives Ira's daughter a maximum of - I hope my math is correct - EIGHTY attacks? That assumes every hit gets Meteor Sword, though.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Oberndorf posted:

We called it "archer persistence " back in the day. The answer is, even without Hero Weapons, as many times as they want to. I suspect it caps out around the total remaining durability of the equipped weapon, since the speed hit from the broken weapon tanks your odds of the skill activating.
But, as you'll note from arena battles, I'm pretty sure a weapon can't break until the current battle it's in finishes.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

theshim posted:

But, as you'll note from arena battles, I'm pretty sure a weapon can't break until the current battle it's in finishes.

Correct!

Now then, me, Onmi, and Jotari have figured out the start time of the Gaiden RTA stream!  Assuming nothing comes up for me, it will be Thursday 9:00 P.M. (Pacific Standard Time)!  So for those of you who don't use Pacific Standard Time, be sure to figure out what that means for you (if you're interested).  Have a nice day everyone, and God bless you!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Terrible news guys; I got sick. Because of that, there's a very real possibility that the Gaiden stream won't happen today. Sorry...

If it DOES happen, it'll be at 9:00 P.M. (PST).

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Well, it's been a while since the last update, so I feel as though I should apologize. I tried to get the Gaiden stream to happen, but scheduling shenanigans made it so that none of use could ever find the time. I'll still try and see if I can get a full commentated speed run out before Shadows of Valencia comes out, but for now...I think I'm going to just go back to making more FE4 updates. I've been getting sidetracked anyway.

I'm sorry that I've disappeared for so long. I've got a habit of doing that, but I'm still not proud of it. So, I'll get the next update to this out soon. Have a nice day, and God bless you all!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Fionordequester posted:

Well, it's been a while since the last update, so I feel as though I should apologize. I tried to get the Gaiden stream to happen, but scheduling shenanigans made it so that none of use could ever find the time. I'll still try and see if I can get a full commentated speed run out before Shadows of Valencia comes out, but for now...I think I'm going to just go back to making more FE4 updates. I've been getting sidetracked anyway.

I'm sorry that I've disappeared for so long. I've got a habit of doing that, but I'm still not proud of it. So, I'll get the next update to this out soon. Have a nice day, and God bless you all!

I'm just relieved that this LP is not dead. Take your time, and everybody understands LP pauses when a new game comes out.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I'm just relieved that this LP is not dead. Take your time, and everybody understands LP pauses when a new game comes out.

Yeah...like I said, I've got a nasty habit of not keeping people informed with the state of my projects. I never realized that till now, but, now I'm gonna try and work on that. Thank you for your readership though! Your enjoyment means the world to me :unsmith: .

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Still not dead folks! The spring semester just ended, so the next update should be the next time I post! If you see this thread get bumped by me, I guarantee it will be an update!

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Glad that this is still going on. Hope you had a good spring semester.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Man.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Last time, on Fire Emblem 4...

But then...

And THAT'S when...

And finally...

:keke:

Original thread is here, so...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANYWAY! Lord Dannan's gone on the offense, Johalva and Johan are dragging their sorry butts to the battlefield, and a bunch of villages are getting trashed by some MBandits; so we'd better hurry. But first, a cutscene!

Don't laugh Arthur; I really like that woman :( ...

Arthur: Heh heh... You call your pegasus Mahnya?

Fee: Arthur, would you quit already? Look, we’ve made it this far so put a lid on it!

Note that the second half of Fee's sentence was omitted in the patch. In addition to what she told Arthur here, she was ALSO supposed to say something like "Honestly! I didn't even want to GO to Isaac! [Therefore, you don't have any right to complain when YOU'RE the one that wanted this trip to start with".

Arthur: Uh... sorry, Fee. I’ve only got a bit further to go. How about I walk from here?

Fee: Where are you going anyway?

Arthur: Alster.

Fee: Alster!? Are you nuts? Alster is way down south. You gotta cross the sea to get there! You’re not walking, that’s for sure!

Arthur: I don’t mind walking. I’m not really in any hurry anyhow.

Fee: Why do you need to go to Alster anyway?

Oh, oh, oh! Is this some more of that brilliant FE4 exposition?! Why, yes it is~!

Arthur: I think my sister is there.

BAM! Character motivation!

Arthur: We were separated a long time ago.

BOOM! Tragic backstory!

Arthur: She and my mom were taken from me when I was young.

WHAM! Childhood!

Arthur: I grew up on my own in Silesia’s backwoods.

POW! Adolescence! And now...

Arthur: Once I heard my sister was seen in Alster, that’s all it took.

KER-BLAM!! The character has now been established! Everything we needed, all crammed into JUST. FIVE. LIIINES :aaaaa: !! Not since Gong's intro in Shining Force have I seen such masterful storytelling!

Fee: Huh, that’s just like me. You see, I haven’t seen my brother in a long time.

Arthur: Were you two also separated?

Fee: No, we were together in Silesia until he left to go look for our father.

Arthur: Your father?

Fee: Yeah, he’s missing. My mum waited for him for the longest time...

Arthur: What’s she doing now?

Fee: She got pretty sick, and, well... she passed away.

Arthur: Gosh... Sorry to ask such a dumb question.

Fee: It’s alright. I thought you were kinda dumb anyhow. Hahaha...

Arthur: Haha... Hey, I’m not such a bad guy, you know.

Fee: Yeah, maybe not. So what’re you going to do?

Arthur: Hmm... good question. Hey, what did you come here for?

Oh, is it time for an encore?

Fee: I came because I want to see if I can join Isaac’s liberation army.

BAM! CHARACTER MOTIVATION!

Fee: When I was little my mum used to tell me about Sigurd, the Holy Knight, and his brave warriors.

BOOM! CHILDHOOD!

Fee: Their story really stuck with me, and now Sigurd’s son is leading an uprising in Isaac.

BOOM! ADOLESCENE! Aaaaaaand....

Fee: I thought this was my calling, so I grabbed my stuff and shot out of Silesia.

WHAAAM!! CURRENT MISSION!!

:boom: :rock: :rock: :boom:

Arthur: Wow, that’s great. You know I appreciate the ride and all... How about I join you for a bit?

Fee: You bet! It’s been my pleasure. So I guess it’s you and me, partner!

Arthur: Yep, I’m afraid so... Hahaha!

Horribly dry exposition dumps aside...I really do like this conversation. Fire Emblem 4 tends to focus on the "big picture" way more than it does on the little things; everything's always so grand and dramatic and everything that sometimes it's nice to just have a plain, regular ol' conversation like this. I mean, yeah, they yammer on for an awfully long time, but...I like the dynamic they have here. They're just two strangers riding around, playfully taking jabs at each other while also getting in some good conversation about what their motivations are.

I REALLY don't get why the writers felt the need to rush their exposition like that though. THESE two don't even GET any more lines in the main story! This is it! The rest of their dialogue can only be found in the Talk conversations; so why not save their backstories for those? At least then, the two can develop their own characters at a reasonable pace, rather than...whatever the heck we just read up above. Aye basura...

Anyways, here's how they perform as units:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arthur Overview

Fee Overview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And back to the map itself.

No chance of Charge activating here; I already left Lester below 25 HP last update, so that Delmud could kill the bandit instead.

Delmud can kill him, steal his Gold, AND visit the village all in one go!

As for our two magic users, Julia is unarmed and Lana is a healer; so Lakche's gonna need to draw the heat off of them. But Lakche herself ain't immortal either, so we still want them close enough to where Lana can use Libro from afar.

Speaking of Julia and Lana; here's their Talk conversation!

Lana: Well, His Highness is pretty concerned about you. But if you have any problems, come to me. Okay?

Julia: Thank you.

Lana: I also have this for you.

Julia: This is a Relive Staff, isn’t it?

Lana: Yes, it is. You know how to use it, don’t you?

Julia: I do! Thank you so much, Lana. Now I can help out a little, too.

Lana: I hope so, Julia. Let’s you and I stick together!

Will do Lana! Not as though the battlefield's getting any LESS dangerous.

Now, back on the subject of Lakche...

Remember how Johalva and Johan were all freaking out about how they had to fight Lakche? Well THAT'S because those two have fallen head over heels for her! They're SO smitten by her, in fact, that Johan or Johalva will actually go to our side when Lakche talks to one of them! Their castle will turn green instead of red, and so will all their cohorts!

But there's a catch. You can only recruit one of them. Once you recruit one, the other will become your permanent enemy; and if we're JUST talking AAAA Rank Runs, I think Johalva is better, for reasons I will get into when I recruit him.

Speaking of Johalva; this is a wonderful opportunity for level grinding Lakche if she doesn't have Elite like mine does. This is because...

code:
1) Johalva will never attack Lakche, so she'll never kill him.

2) Lakche can ORKO all of Johalva's men with the Silver Blade.

3) They've got almost no chance of hitting her on a Mountain.

4) Lana's nearby to heal her with the Libro Staff.

5) Johalva will fetch ANOTHER group once the first one dies.

6) Lakche can kill the MBandit on the western village.
So one could potentially kill all the Axefighters from the Mountains, follow Johalva back to his castle, and then kill off the second group as well. I'm not going to be doing that though, because I do have Elite.

Back to Celice; he's gonna steam roll Johan, capture Isaac, get the Rezire tome for Julia (more on that later), and carve a path of destruction all the way to Rivough. However, one could also choose to recruit Johan, kill Johalva instead, capture HIS castle, and then get the Aura Tome for Julia before trekking across the mountains.

Or, if you REALLY want to, you can recruit Johan, let Schmidt and his men storm Isaac (which will have turned green), RE-capture Isaac (which will turn it green), and then march all the way back to Sophara in order to seize THAT (for it will have stayed red). Because remember; you get 1000G for every castle that YOU control at the end of the Chapter. Neutral castles (green) don't count toward that total; only player controlled ones count. So by taking both castles, you'll get an extra 1000G for each and every one of your units!

And no, this will NOT decrease your Tactics Rank; that only happens if the A.I. captures one of YOUR castles, not a neutral one. Believe me, I confirmed this by watching completed AAAA Rank Runs on Nico Nico Douga; both of the ones I watched actually take advantage of this!

Buuuuuuut... We're not going to be doing that. Johalva far better than Johan in an AAAA Rank Run; and the A.I. can't capture HIS castle without also getting one of OURS in the process! And THAT, my friends, WILL drop the Tactics Rank!

Oh yeah, and Fee's got the Berserk Sword. It has a [30 – enemy’s Res]% of inflicting Berserk on whosoever it hits; and also a 100% chance of working on anyone with MORE than 30 Res! That...will actually come into play WAAAY later on; but for now, it's a moot point. Berserk won't actually stop the MBandit from attacking the village. So for now...

We're focusing on Celice's rampage; and for that, we sold the Slim Sword, fixed up the Hero Sword a bit, and also got the Light Sword and Magic Ring out of storage. Johan's team doesn't have any Hand Axes, but Schmidt's team DOES; we don't want to miss out on getting THEIR EXP!

Speaking of enemies; Johalva's men are now attempting to subdue Lakche.

With...less than success. In fact, they might've start ignoring her ENTIRELY had her Spd and Lck gains been higher!

And no, Johalva and Johan never attack Lakche. They WILL however attack Celice next turn.

Right after this poor fool pulls an Anakin.

Except instead of getting his arm cut off and getting hurled across the room by lightning bolts, the guy just loses his head instead. Not really sure who was better off for it.

Our turn!

Now let's get things started with...

Uhh...yeah. Holsety. This is uh... really interesting game design going on here. Man, good thing Levin couldn't pass down Pursuit as well...

So let's do some general movement and utility...

Let's heal up...

Let's kill some guys...

And let's go visit this village.

Johan is the lord at Isaac Castle, and Johalva is the lord at Sophara. They both have a thing for Lakche of your army. Always quarreling those two... But they’re both basically good boys. I bet they’d even join up with you all.

HA HA HA HA HA! Well, he's right about them wanting to join up with us, but...

...The game kind of throws a wrench into the "good boys" part, through questionable writing. You'll...see what I mean later.

For now, let's just beat up some bad guys!

Let's let the last remaining survivor kill himself off first...

Prompting Johalva to try to retreat...

And then we'll have Johan and his men suiciding en masse :(

Johan: To die by my hand, you should feel flattered.

Johan: Lakche, our love is eternal...

I seriously don't know why these two have some of the lines they do. Johan flat out admitted here that the Rebel Army is in the right here... So why's he saying stuff like "you should feel flattered to die by my hand?" Johalva's lines SEEM a bit more neutral at first...

VS. JOHALVA

Johalva: I will not hand over my castle! You rebels...I'll beat the crap out of you!

JOHALVA DIES

Johalva: Argh... Lakche... I'm sorry...

But even he doesn't come off that well when you see his reaction to Johan being recruited.

Johalva: I'm gonna take him out! Men, stay alert!

And then he just goes berserk; for the REST of the chapter. There's no recruiting him, no pacifying him with Lakche...No, he's perfectly willing to just keep being a jerkwad. He won't actively target Lakche, but he'll never be recruited either. And of course, Johan's the same way...

Johan: Eiyah! Attack!!

Then when they fight each other...

JOHALVA VS. JOHAN

Johan: Sigh... Johalva... It makes me sad to have a little brother as foolish as you.

Johalva: You’re the foolish one, but that’s irrelevant. I knew that this day would come sometime! Now let’s finish this!

Johan: As you wish!

That happens, and it's just like; "are they really supposed to be the good guys?" They're both well aware that they're the bad guys in this! If they love Lakche so much that they'll outright ditch their homeland, then why would it MATTER if their brother has already converted first?! Doesn't Johalva realize that if he attacks the Rebel Army, he's attacking Lakche, regardless of whether or not Johan is already with her? Jeez louis...

And I know why the game is doing this. There's an archtype in the Fire Emblem series known as the "Samson & Arran" archtype; it involves two warriors who REALLY hate each other. They hate each other so much, in fact, that you can only have one of them at a time in your army; you give up one of them forever by recruiting the other. Kaga knows that this is a cool concept, so that's the scenario he's attempting to create hear.

But right now, he's doing it at the expense of these two characters. Both of them are supposed to be "basically good boys" who also have a number of funny moments involving Lakche; but now? They're coming off as a pair of violent idiots who care more about fulfilling their own personal vendettas than doing what's right. It might've been better if we at least knew WHY they hated each other so much...but we never will. The game seems to expect you to just forget about all this the moment you leave this chapter, and I don't know why. It makes them both look worse than Kaga probably intended.

But oh well; let's see what the villagers have to say.

We are forever indebted to his father for saving our Prince Shanan!

The ending of Chapter 5 can give the impression that Sigurd didn't accomplish anything worthwhile, despite his best intentions. So I like this dialogue as a reminder that everything you do matters, regardless of how things seem at the moment. Seemingly innocuous things will wind up having far reaching consequences, not just for you, but for people who don't even seem like they'd be affected by your actions. That's one of the things I found so fascinating about Breaking Bad, for example.

Heck, Sigurd may very well have saved the world by sparing Shanan, now that I think about it. His son now has the good will of the people, Shanan himself has grown into a really powerful warrior, and well...Shanan's survival might actually have been what kept the citizens going for all those years. What better way for an oppressed people to persevere than the promise that someone from their royal family will eventually deliver them from their oppressors?

Anyway, here's Johalva!

Lakche: At least, I was relieved that you never hurt any of the women or children. I wish we didn’t have to fight...

Johalva: Yeah. Well, I was never into pushin’ people around like my brothers. And I’ve had about all I can handle of the Lopt Sect. People say they’ve been sacrificing children right here in Isaac. My father just lets them walk all over him. I’ve had it with them! Lakche... just say the magic word and my squadron and I’ll join up with you.

*awkward silence as Johalva realizes his 'squadron' is already dead*

Lakche: Are you serious!? Johalva, you’re wonderful! ...I definitely had it wrong about you all this time.

Johalva: Yeah, well, I’m no angel. This is my chance to make amends. You lot! From this point forward we are an army of liberators fighting for love and justice!!

So that's Johalva's recruitment text. But if we talked to Johan instead...

Johan: Your words soothe like a bird’s song... You eyes sparkle like stars in the sky... The thought of being without you I cannot bear.

"Why, I'd KILL to be with you!"

"No, really; I would actually kill to be with you."

Lakche: Stop! You’re grossing me out! You’re on the battlefield, you know. Don’t lose it here!

Johan: My unremitting love for you is strong enough to cross the bounds of insanity! Let our troops know we’re taking sides with the liberation army! From this day forward we’ll be fighting for love, justice... and Lakche!

Yeah, he's basically a meaner version of Sain; and Lakche clearly isn't as thrilled with him as she is with Johalva. That's one of the reasons I prefer recruiting Johalva; however, the MAIN reason is because he's much better in the Arena than Johan. Why's that?

Well...I'm not going to do the overviews for MOST of the people this update (because it's already really long, and there's WAY too many of them); but we'll make an exception for Johan and Johalva. The game forces you to pick one or the other, so...let's take a look, shall we?

Level 12 Axe Fighter
Parents: N/A

HP: 42 (110%) Spd: 16 (10%)
Str: 16 (40%) Lck: 5 (10%)
Mag: 0 (0%) Def: 14 (60%)
Skl: 7 (50%) Res: 1 (5%)

Move: 6
Weapon Ranks: A Axes
Promotion Bonuses: +3 Str, +0 Mag, +2 Skl, +2 Spd, +2 Def, +3 Res, B Bows
Items: Steel Axe
Skill: Charge
Holy Blood: Minor Neir

Level 12 Axe Knight

HP: 40 (110%) Spd: 12 (50%)
Str: 15 (40%) Lck: 5 (10%)
Mag: 0 (5%) Def: 12 (60%)
Skl: 10 (20%) Res: 1 (5%)

Move: 8
Weapon Ranks: A Axes
Promotion Bonuses: +5 Str, +0 Mag, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +4 Def, +3 Res, +1 Move
Items: Steel Axe
Skill: Ambush
Holy Blood: Minor Neir

Aside from Johalva having +2 extra HP, the two end up with basically the exact same stats at Level 30. Johalva will have higher growths in areas he's initially weaker in, Johan's promotion gains will make up for any disadvantages he starts with, and etc.

So the real question is "who's more useful at base level?" If all you're doing is a regular playthrough, then Johan is obviously a better choice. His base stats are actually really good compared to some of your other units, Ambush can be good in a pinch, and the Hero Axe will be attained very shortly from Schmidt. And of course; cavalry units are as valuable as they ever were.

But if you're going for an AAAA Rank playthrough, things are completely different. Having 2+ HP, 1+ STR, and +4 SPD is far better than having +3 SKL; but more importantly, Johalva gains access to Bows upon promotion. That is absolutely crucial; most Bows weigh 8 WT, while most Axes weigh 18 WT. And though the Hero Axe is lighter at 12 WT, the Killer Bow measures at 3 WT while also granting the Critical skill! So even with Johan's superior SPD gains, his offense will always trail behind Johalva's. Plus, Johalva's combat will consist entirely of Arena battles. Bows are exempt from the Weapon Triangle; so get him to LVL 20, get him a wife to share money with, and Johalva's pretty much set! No getting spanked by swordmasters for him!

So to sum it up, Johan's better for efficiency playthroughs, but Johalva's indisputably the better choice for AAAA Rank runs (unless you're using heavy RNG abuse to clear the Arena). Besides...

Look at this poor guy! The guy's so desperate, his text is actually flying off the textbox! I gotta help a brotha out!

Of course, not everyone's so thrilled with that prospect...

Dannan: Schmidt, you get out there. I want our castles back!

Schmidt: Yes sir. You can count on me.

This triggers the minute you recruit one of his sons, regardless of whether the other is alive or not. And once that happens...

Schmidt and his merry band come storming towards us. That's not a concern for Celice though.

Anyway, next player phase.

Lakche's gonna clear out that MBandit; so I'm gonna pair her up with Johalva (no, this doesn't violate my "no squicky pairings" rule; I'll explain why later) and get Lana staff EXP while I'm at it. As for the others...

Celice's sword arm flies ever closer to Isaac...

Lester follows close behind to get the village...

Arthur heads on up to snag the village near where Lakche's at...

And Fee ends our turn by going to a rather interesting village.

Yeah! We’ll finally be able to get rid of those creeps from the empire!

It's simple enough for most people. But if you visit the village with Celice...

As a little token of my appreciation I’d like ya t’take my granddaughter for yer wife.

Celice: S, stop it! Th, that’s not why I’m here!

Hahaha! It’s a joke, Sir Celice! J-O-K-E! You’re gettin’ red... How cute!

Celice: What am I going to do...

Well Celice, that depends. Does she have good Civilian skills? Good growth rates? Can she use staves? Does she have any children who can inherit your blades? Are there any Jealousy formations we can take advantage of? Does she have minor Neir blood or anything like that?

I know you think I'm kidding; but would YOU think any different?

Anyway, nothing new happens on enemy phase so...

Lester knocks his MBandit around a bit, hoping that he would proc one of his many skills (he didn't)...

Lakche turns her bandit into roadkill...

While enjoying the Knight Ring's effect...

Fee flies up closer to Lakche and Johalva so that she can start pairing up with Arthur (spoiler alert; they're one of my planned couples)

Johalva walks up to Lakche again while the other two ladies get closer to help with Jealousy Formation strats...

And Celice ends our turn by getting closer to Isaac. Nothing much happens on this enemy phase either, but next turn?

Things are gonna get REAL messy. Because now...

Now is the time to show off Celice's power :black101: .

First we axe this guy off (get it? Cuz he uses axes :haw: ?)...

Lakche and friends all gather around for a grand ol' time...

And Lester kills off the very last MBandit on the map.

That would sure make things easier on us if it were the case. Here’s a Skill Ring for you. Good luck out there!

Whoo-hoo! Lester has more trouble in the Arena than others, so this is more than welcome for him. Anyway...

IIIIIIIT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME :dance: !!

Whaacha! Down go the putties...

And down goes the leader!

:D

Man, we're just getting started, and Celice is ALREADY about to promote. And people say he starts slow :cheeky:

Oh yeah, and that drops too.

Anyway, Dannan is the only one left. So let's see what Isaac's folks have to say!

Yes, they’re all ecstatic. They all believe that you’re going to liberate the country.

Celice: Well, I couldn’t have done any of this without the support of the people. They were the ones who helped me from the start...

"Oh and uh, the other guys on my team? Yeah, they helped occasionally; every so often."

This sure is a strange twist of fate. The former king of Isaac often turned to your grandfather for advice. Then your father rescued Prince Shanan only for the prince to turn around and save you. It’s funny how fate works, isn’t it?

Celice: Well, Isaac is like a second home to me. I hope the prince and I can remain friends forever.

Sir Celice, there isn’t a soul alive who doubts that you are the rightful successor to Grandbell’s royal house. In the name of justice you must push on through to Barhara!

This all seems pretty normal at first.

But, if you were to conquer Sophara instead...

We get an entirely NEW conversation!

Nope, we’re all just fine. Everyone is very excited you’re here!

Celice: Just give us a little more time. We WILL defeat King Dannan and regain control of Isaac.

Those sure are reassuring words. Do take care to not overdo yourselves. Sir Celice, you’re the last hope for all the peoples of the world. You are the only one who can free the world from darkness.

Remember; you don't HAVE to pick one or the other. You can easily conquer both these castles by recruiting Johan. Isaac will turn green, Schmidt will turn it red, and then you'd just take it back from him after snagging Johalva's. You can't do the reverse though; the enemies prioritize getting Ganeishire before getting Sophara.

Turns 18-21: Anyways, we're just gonna zip through now.

Once he gets his hands on the Divine Balmunk those rats of the empire won’t have a prayer! We’re driving them outta here!

Pfeh; you say that like the Uber Hero Sword isn't good enough already. Now...

I need Celice to move exactly 4 spaces west...

Julia needs to be warped on over to where Celice is...

The rest of em' must ASSUME THE JEALOUSY FORMATION!!

And now Julia'll have a nice chat with Celice.

Celice: Here, I’m giving you this. I picked it up at Isaac Castle.

Julia: What is it?

Celice: It’s a Book of Rezire. You can use it, can’t you?

Julia: Yes, I believe so.

Celice: Good. You should be able to protect yourself a little better out here now.

Julia: Thank you very much, sir.

That's what you get for conquering Isaac. But if you conquer Sophara instead, you get this:

Celice: Here, I’m giving you this. I picked it up at Sophara Castle.

Julia: What is it?

Celice: It’s a Book of Aura. You can use it, can’t you?

Julia: Aura... I’ve heard that somewhere before... Thank you very much, sir.

Oh the painful memories :sigh: ...

Now as fitting as Aura would be, Rezire is what we want. It's loses by -10 Hit and -6 Might, but makes up for it by weighing 8 WT less than the Aura Tome! Plus, it drains HP just like Nosferatu does in later games. So if you want even more of a reason to use Johalva over Johan, well, there you go.

Unfortunately, Julia doesn't get a chance to show off her new combat capabilities; so for now, we'll have to settle for this overview :sigh: ...

Julia Overview

Anyway, nobody else up north is doing anything so...

Here it is! The FINAL battle of Chapter 6!

Dannan: My father’s grudge... I will have his revenge!

Celice: King Dannan... Under your rule, many people have suffered and died. Now you must face the consequences.

Most :black101: thing Celice has ever said!

DANNAN VS. JOHAN

Dannan: J, Johan... That woman has turned you against me!?

Johan: Sigh... I pledged my life for her love. Forgive me, father...

Dannan: Y, you fool...

Sheesh; I know Dannan's kind of a jerk, but...THAT'S what helps you decide to kill your father :raise: ?

DANNAN VS. JOHALVA

Dannan: Johalva, you...! How dare you rise up against your father!!

Johalva: Sorry... I don’t want anything more to do with your evil deeds. It’s nothing personal.

Dannan: D, drat it...! Johalva!

DANNAN VS. EVERYONE ELSE

Dannan: Rebels! Don’t underestimate the Grandbell Empire!

Oh the Grandbell Empire is scary, don't get me wrong. But...you're not the “Grandbell Empire”, so...

You're already dead.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 18, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

...Yeeeeah. We're uh...kind of out of villains here. Guess we'll just go through the rest of the optional dialogue? First we got one last Village (I don't get this in the main run)...

Thanks to you we have Isaac back. But the rest of the world still looks pretty grim. Everyone still suffering under the empire’s rule is waiting for Sir Celice to come save them. Please... you must make your way to Grandbell as soon as possible!

My, what a well informed young woman.

Now, one of the Substitute characters one could have is Dimna. He replaces Lester if Aideen never had kids; and he actually has his own special conversation in Isaac! Check THIS out!

Karen: Hey, I’m just glad to see you again. You look great!

Dimna: Thanks. Sir Celice set out to liberate the world from the empire’s tyranny and I’ve joined up with him. I can’t say I’ve been of much help yet.

Karen: Hmhm! That’s neat, Dimna. That’s a big change from the crybaby I once knew.

Dimna: Hahaha... Don’t you tell anyone that... I do still have a ways to go, though. I want you and the rest of the world to be able to live again in peace.

Karen: Wow. That’d be great, Dimna...

Dimna: What’s wrong? Did I say something?

Karen: No, it’s nothing. Here, I want you to have this necklace. I think you’ll find it useful.

Dimna: Where did you get it?

Karen: It’s a keepsake of my mothers. Wear it and you’ll get a little boost of power.

Dimna: I can’t take this from you!

Karen: No, my mother wants you to have it. She said the time has come to utilise its power. Please, take it.

Dimna: Thank you. I’ll be sure to bring it back when this war is over.

Karen: I’m sure you will, Dimna.

Dimna: Well, I better get going. Everyone’s waiting for me.

Karen: You take care now, Dimna!

And once Dimna leaves...

We get an INSANE STR boost!

I never knew just how much effort went into FE4's minor characters until I did this LP. I was fully expecting the Substitutes to just be palette-swaps of the real children, with barely any differences in what they said and did. But no; they actually have legitimate backstories! They have their own lives! This dude Dimna's got people waiting for him at home, regardless of whether or not we recruit Lester! It's to the point where I'm actually kinda starting to wish they'd have included these scenes for the Children characters too.

I mean heck; just look at THIS one here, with Lakche's Substitute (yes, it's a hacked save). These two are EXCLUSIVE to Radney; these never happen for Lakche! Just have one of the two axe brothers use the Wait command next to her for over 10 Turns, and...

Johan with Radney (+2 STR & +3 LCK for Radney):

Yep, here we go again.

Johan: I’ll always watch over you! Please don’t forget that!

Radney: ...

And Johalva gets in on the act too.

Johalva with Radney (+2 STR & +3 LCK for Radney):

Radney: ...

Fortunately, he plays it a lot cooler than Johan, so I think his chances are good. Anyway, here's all the rest of the conversations.

Celice with Fee (and Femina, but her dialogue's pretty similar; I'll put the differences in brackets)

Fee: Are you Prince Celice?

Celice: Yes, I am. And who might you be?

Fee: I am Fee [or Femina]. I came here from Silesia.

Celice: Silesia? Are you a Pegasus Knight?

Fee: [Well that depends. If I'm Fee, then I'd say... "No, but my mother was. She fought alongside Sir Sigurd in the last war". Otherwise, if I'm Femina, I'd basically just say "I'm still in training"].

Celice: Really? [Because if you're Fee, I'd say..."Well, on his behalf, thanks". Otherwise, I'd just skip this line]. So what made you come here?

Fee: Well, I initially set out to find my brother. But when I heard word of you taking on the empire, I made a little change in plans. Please, let me join your liberation army.

Celice: Hey, that’s fine with me, but what about your brother?

Fee: I have a hunch that we’ll run across him eventually.

And that really is it for the differences. There are very minor differences in wording here and there; but there's nothing else worth bogging down the pace of this update.

Celice with Arthur (this one literally IS the exact same between Child and Sub)

Arthur: How do you do, sir.

Celice: Who are you?

Arthur: I’m Arthur. I came from Silesia.

Celice: You’re Arthur? Thanks for lending us a hand!

Arthur: Not a problem.

Celice: It’s really great how you can use magic.

Arthur: Well, my mother was a warlock. I’ve personally still got quite a way to go though.

Celice: Yeah, we all do. But as long as we stay together... We all believe we can change the world. That’s why we set out in the first place.

Arthur: Sounds great. Look, I’ll do what I can to help out, sir. Glad we could finally meet.

And here's the last one; and for some WEIRD reason, it's only available when you conquer Sophara. It will NOT activate if you conquer Isaac instead. Rather odd, that...

Celice with Lana (+100 Love Points and +3 HP for Lana)

Celice: Lana, you shouldn’t be out here. It’s too dangerous!

"Nuns and warfare DO NOT mix!"

Lana: Oh, I’ll be alright.

Celice: Please, stay back for me, will you? You’re too easy a target for them.

Lana: But...

Celice: Lana, I’m just worried about you, that’s all.

Lana: ...okay, I’ll try.

Heh; seems Dimna's worrying over nothing. If this turns out to be Mana, then Celice's just as into HER as she is in him!

IF JULIA WAS KILLED AT ANY POINT

Note how the above music link is only 12 seconds long. There is complete silence after it ends.

Levin: Yeah, I just got back. Celice, the world is at a very volatile stage right now.

Celice: Huh? What do you mean?

Levin: The early days of the empire weren’t actually all that bad. Initially, Emperor Alvis applied constitutional law to govern the people. It was a bit constraining, but it was a peaceful time in Judgral’s history. But several years back the emperor did a complete about-face. He became very rigid with his rule and adopted oppressive governing tactics. Now the ominous Lopt Sect is back, and their influence has spread across the land. Sacrificial rituals have also reappeared. Children all over are being rounded up for the resurrection of the Loptian lord. And anyone who attempts to rise up is either enslaved or executed... It’s obvious now that they’re attempting to restore the Lopt Empire.

Celice: You’re serious? So the rumours I’ve heard are true after all.

Levin: Isaac is better off than most places. It sounds like Dannan’s two sons didn’t go through with any of the child hunts.

Celice: ...

Levin: Uprisings have sprung up all over the continent, but not one has gotten anywhere. None of them stand a chance against the empire.

And now; happy music.

Levin: You are the only one who has the power to pull it off.

Celice: Whoa! Wait a minute! I have nothing near what it takes!

Levin: It’s your duty, Celice. You are Empress Deirdre’s firstborn son... the older brother to Prince Julius. As a direct descendant of Saint Heim, you have an obligation to lead your crusaders and rid the world of darkness.

Celice: Yeah, but...

Levin: Celice, you DO have what it takes. You just don’t realise it yet. You’re of Baldo lineage. Once you get a hold of the Holy Tyrfing, you’ll have enough power to reach the heavens.

Celice: But...

Levin: Celice, it’s the will of the gods. Your father was a victim of foul play. And now you must finish what he started. You need to stay focused, Celice. You got me?

Celice: ...Yes, I do. If this is my destiny, I shall go forth wherever the gods lead me.

Levin: You’ll come to realise that fate is susceptible to change. It doesn’t centre on one person. Sigurd left much behind for you. Most importantly his friends... I being one of them. You can credit your father’s kindness for bringing so many good people to your side.

Celice: My father was loved and trusted by so many. I just hope I can live up to that.

Levin: You’ll be just fine, Celice. Okay, we need to make Lenster our next destination. The son of your father’s good friend Cuan took a stand against the government in Manster. But he is in dire need of some backup. We can leave Isaac in the hands of the people. We’d better get moving. We’ll meet up with Prince Shanan somewhere down the line.

Celice: Gotcha!

Alright, I think we'll call that an update!

Will Celice manage to become the scion of light that Jugdral yearns to rally around? Will he survive being pitted against all of the Empire's mighty men, experiencing harrowing fights in a world of fading hope? And what of the mystery girl Julia? What mysteries lay hidden beneath her gentle grey eyes? Find out, in the second half of Let's Play Fire Emblem 4! This is Fionordequester, signing out! Have a nice night, and God bless you all!

SUB CHARACTER OVERVIEWS

Amid Overview

Femina Overview

CURRENT AAAA RANKED RUN STATS:

Time Taken This Update: ~25 minutes and 35 seconds

Total Time Elapsed Over the Run: 15 hours, 1 minute, 52 seconds~

Turns Taken This Update: 12 Turns

Total Turns Elapsed Over The Run: 230 Turns

Levels Gained This Update: 19 Levels

Total Levels Gained: 569 Levels

Things I Regret: In the Prologue, I regret the fact that Noish had to hang back as I rigged levels for Sigurd in the Prologue.

In Chapter 1, I should've brought Midir to guarantee that Kinbois's men would be taken down without issue.

On Chapter 2, I regret the fact that Ardan built up so many love points with Aira even though that pairing's been written out of the route, I regret making that positioning mistake with Fin, and I wish I hadn't made that careless mistake with Sigurd attacking that guard near Boldo (even if it did end up working out). I regret deciding to not just get Deirdre to Level 30 by the end of Chapter 2. I regret wasting something like 12 minutes rigging Aideen a win against Keimos, when it ultimately didn't end up doing much for Jamka anyway. And I could have manipulated Dew's Gold a bit better so that Aira got just 18,000G instead of 22,470G.

On Chapter 3, I regret selling Deirdre's Aura tome! I'll bet she TOTALLY could've kicked Manfloy's butt, if ONLY I hadn't taken that away :gonk: !!

On Chapter 4, I regret spending so much time disabeling the Arena bug for Fury's Arena fights; her combat stats didn't even matter once I promoted her! I also regret not having Claude turn around sooner. I also regret not repairing the Return Staff before giving it to Aideen.

On Chapter 5, I regret not having Dew sit tight after slaying that General; I didn't really accomplish much by moving him around outside, so I probably wasted about a minute or so.

Level 11-21: 45 > 59 HP, 12(17) > 20(25) Str, 6 > 13(18) Mag, 14 > 20 Skl, 12 > 16 Spd, 8 > 13 Lck, 12(17) > 16 Def, 4 > 8 Res!

Level 4-10: 33 > 42 HP, 11 > 14 Str, 0 > 1 Mag, 16 > 21 Skl, 15 > 17 Spd, 8 > 9 Lck, 8 > 12 Def, 0 > 1 Res!

Level 2-4: 30 > 32 HP, 3 > 4 Str, 9 Mag, 9 > 11 Skl, 8 Spd, 17 > 19 Lck, 2 > 3 Def, 7 > 8 Res!

Level 1-2: 30 > 31 HP, 10 > 11 Str, 1 Mag, 8 > 8(13) Skl, 9 Spd, 13 Lck, 8 Def, 0 Res!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 22, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fionordequester posted:

Last time, on Fire Emblem 4...

For some reason you've decided to drop huge images side by side instead of one after the other and break the tables.

Don't? Edit that out so that sentences are readable without scrolling.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
That explains the deal with J&J. I didn't know what the game was trying to do with them, so for me the whole "recruit one, but only one" deal was just pointless and I didn't understand why it was even included.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Xander77 posted:

For some reason you've decided to drop huge images side by side instead of one after the other and break the tables.

Don't? Edit that out so that sentences are readable without scrolling.

Really now? That's funny; my computer isn't doing that. In fact, I've been posting huge images side by side like that since Chapter 2 :tongue: . Anyway, if you can tell me how you were viewing this update (via Android, computer, cell phone, etc.), I'll try and see what I can do to make that better.

Crystalgate posted:

That explains the deal with J&J. I didn't know what the game was trying to do with them, so for me the whole "recruit one, but only one" deal was just pointless and I didn't understand why it was even included.

Yep. FE's always been about it's traditions, and well...the whole "Samson vs. Arran" feud just happened to be one of em.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 6, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fionordequester posted:

Anyway, if you can tell me how you were viewing this update (via Android, computer, cell phone, etc.), I'll try and see what I can do to make that better.
PC, chrome.

You can make it better by not posting huge images side by side.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Xander77 posted:

PC, chrome.

You can make it better by not posting huge images side by side.

Duly noted. I'll go through and edit them. Expect this update to be fixed by 2:00 P.M. at the latest (for reference, it's 12:02 P.M. for me right now, so that's two hours).

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Awesome! Always dope to see this LP come back to life. I'm terrible at high-level Fire Emblem, so I greatly enjoy seeing how it's pulled off.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, this is back. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Of note is that Fionordequester is actually doing this in two seperate locations, as he has a thread on Serenes Forest with the exact same Lp.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright, so next update's going to be a mini-update on TWO different topics. First of all, I actually went to the effort of cracking the 2nd Gen Jealousy mechanics for ALL the non-Substitute characters! I know who Lakche has priority over when competing for Johalva, I know who Lana has priority over when competing for Celice, I know who Fee has priority over when competing for Arthur...I know EVERYTHING there is to know on all non-Sub characters! So before we go further on, I'm going to lay out the entire table and explain exactly who I'll pair with who!

Now secondly, I did not cover either Arthur, Amid, Fee, Femina or Julia in the last update, so that's also going to be taken care of. Looking back, I...might have been able to fit them all in without bloating the update too much? I didn't think I'd be able to while I was writing it, but, looking back on it now...I might have just been in too much of a rush to update the thread. We'll see. But regardless, they'll also be included in the next mini-update, so you'll get them either way.

Have a nice night all!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 7, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ah - my bad. It's not the pics - it's the chunk of "code" tagged text. Break off the run-on sentences within, and that should fix the problem.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Ah - my bad. It's not the pics - it's the chunk of "code" tagged text. Break off the run-on sentences within, and that should fix the problem.

There we go. How's that look for you now?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fionordequester posted:

There we go. How's that look for you now?
Fixed. Cheers.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's nice to hear the replacement characters aren't just generics to fill space.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Also, here! Have some FE: Heroes art of Seliph and Julia!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Bump. And thank you, Junpei, for posting that.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

The War Room, Part 8: Know Your Jealousy Tables (Gen 2)!

Serenes Forest has always had the Jealousy tables all lined up for Gen 1; for as long as I can remember. However, no one ever had anything for Gen 2; Serenes never allowed had a section where one could easily look up who fawned over who.

And then I stepped in!!

That's right; I myself compiled the Jealousy tables for each and EVERY single Child character in Gen 2; and then got them posted on the relevant section! No, I didn't get any for the Subs; I don't have THAT much free time. But I did get everything that would be relevant for my own playthrough; so here they are!

code:
Aless: Julia > Nanna > Lakche > Fee > Tinny > Leen > Lana > Patty > Altenna

Arthur: Leen > Lana > Fee > Patty > Other Girls

Celice: All Are Equal

Corple: Lana > Patty > Altenna > Other Girls

Delmud: Lakche > Fee > Tinny > Leen > Lana > Patty > Altenna > Other Girls

Faval: Altenna > Other Girls

Johalva: Nanna > Lakche > Fee > Tinny > Leen > Lana > Patty > Altenna > Julia

Leaf: All Are Equal

Lester: Patty > Altenna > Other Girls

Oifaye: Nanna > Lakche > Fee > Tinny > Leen > Lana > Patty > Altenna

Sety: Tinny > Leen > Lana > Patty > Other Girls

Shanan: Julia > Nanna > Lakche > Fee > Tinny > Leen > Lana > Patty > Altenna

Skasaha: Fee > Tinny > Leen > Lana > Patty > Altenna > Other Girls
So there you are! And remember the following as you look at this chart...

------------------------------

1) Julia is usually on the bottom of every Jealousy chart; however, she is at the TOP of Aless and Shanan's charts!  I...have no idea why this is, but she does. Consider this as you decide who you pair with whom.

2) The Subs and Children do NOT share the same ROM Addresses.  Where address 7E3CE5 will be dedicated to Celice and Patty in a Children, that SAME address will be dedicated to Skasaha & Daisy in a Subs run. So do not think that this table applies in a Subs run.

3) These charts assume that you Reset the game at least once upon entering Gen 2.  Otherwise, I don't know how everything plays out.

4) The game never allows you to marry direct siblings to each other, so it puts a permanent -1 inside every Address that contains a brother's affection for her sister.  So for example, Lakche and Skasaha have an Address that stores the amount of Love Points they've built up with each other; however, said number will always be negative -1.

5) THAT SAID, other women will still get jealous when they see a man with his sister.  Said sister is already placed at the very bottom of that man's Jealousy chart; so you can ALWAYS use them as a Jealousy bot!  So if you're trying to pair Fee with Arthur, you can put Tinny (Arthur's sister) next to Arthur before putting Fee next to Tinny.  Do that, and Fee will get an addition +5 Love Points per turn!

6) The game puts Altenna on a higher place on some men's lists than "Other Girls"...even though Altenna's love values are set at a permanent -1 for all possible suitors. She belongs to someone else; someone we don't get to use as a playable character.

7) The game normally uses address 7E3C75 to track Celice and Tinny's love growth if you've reset the game once since starting Gen 2.  HOWEVER, if you HAVEN'T reset it, it will actually use that address for Celice and Julia instead!  That's right!  The game literally REPURPOSES the address used for Celice and Julia into something else upon reset!  This is why it's possible to pair the two of them if you haven't reset!

8) That said, Celice and Julia don't start with 490 Love Points if you do things this way. Instead, they will start at 0 Love Points; so you have to pretty much glue the two of them together, along with two other Jealousy bots, in order to get them married.

------------------------------

Now then; I left out a great deal of the new characters we got last update when giving rankings to everyone. It turns out, I had a lot more to say about them than I thought I would; so actually, I WOULD'VE bloated the update too much had I just included several large walls of text right when they showed up...

That said; I could've just did what I did for the first Chapter 6 update, and just have included the overviews in separate links. So I still feel the need to apologize for rushing the last update the way I did; otherwise, I might've thought about doing that BEFORE I posted it.

Oh well; I'm gonna fix that. For now, here they are!

GEN 2 CHARACTER OVERVIEWS

Level 2 Mage
Parents: Tiltyu & Levin

HP: ~31 (130%) Spd: ~11 (110%)
Str: ~0 (15%) Lck: ~10 (45%)
Mag: ~10 (40%) Def: ~2 (25%)
Skl: ~10 (85%) Res: ~6 (15%)

Move: 5
Weapon Ranks: Fire (C), Thunder (B), Wind (*)
Promotion Bonuses: +5 Str, +3 Mag, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +4 Def, +2 Res, B Swords, B Fire, A Thunder (B without Minor Tordo), B Wind (redundant with Major Holsety)
Items: Wind + [Inherited Items]
Skill: Wrath, Continue, Critical
Holy Blood: Major Holsety, Minor Tordo

Arthur is a pure combat unit with no support capabilities; so this cat lives or dies based off of how well his father supplements his offense. And since Arthur and Levin were literally the only Gen 1 magic users we ever got...those two are pretty much the only two viable fathers Arthur has. Fortunately, neither of those two face a lot of competition; so it's almost guaranteed that at least one of them will be available.

Of course, Levin is obviously his best father, considering that he gets fricken HOLSETY on inheritance, as well as all the wind tomes one could desire. Better yet, he gets Wrath along WITH Holsety; so the guy's basically got the touch of death when under half HP.

However, Azel!Arthur is also a viable choice, if one wishes to give Holsety to someone else. Pursuit is much more reliable than Continue, and Wrath is always available for more troublesome enemies. In other words, Azel!Arthur is basically what Azel should have been all along; a fast, powerful, accurate magic user with completely weapon triangle control! He is a glass cannon that actually lives up to the CANNON part of his name.

That said, even Levin!Arthur has SOME issues. He's locked to 5 Move, and has a hard time safely getting enemies to attack him. Remember, enemies won't even TRY to hit you if your Evade exceeds their Hit; they'll just run right past you. On the other hand, Levin!Arthur is also a squishy mage; so you're putting him at risk any time the enemies DO have a chance of hitting him! So the only 100% surefire way of helping him survive a crowd is by having someone else give him a Leadership, Lover, or Charisma boost; because enemy units don't figure those into their calculations.

In addition, Arthur has a hard time getting EXP at the beginning. He doesn't show up till near the end of Chapter 6; Mbandits and Dannan himself are the only easy targets he can reach. Chapter 7 then STARTS with a platoon of enemies that are basically custom made to kill mages (trying to avoid spoilers); so Arthur can't easily deal with them. The only ones that Arthur CAN deal with are units that start a great distance away from Chapter 7's home castle; so trying to cart him around for EXP can get to be a bit of a pain.

But all this changes when Arthur gets a horse! Get him to LVL 20, promote him, and he'll be zipping around the map like he's Sigurd himself! Give him Holsety on top of that, and he is quite literally one of the most potent endgame units a person can possibly have...so yeah, that's all pretty nice.

Overall, Arthur is a pretty cool guy; but he's not quite as easy to use as some of the other units I really like. I'd liken him to Hit, from Dragon Ball Super. The guy can instantly kill almost anyone, and is extremely difficult to get to; but he needs prep-time and planning to be truly effective.

Level 2 Wind Mage

HP: 29 (90%) Spd: 14 (40%)
Str: 1 (20%) Lck: 6 (20%)
Mag: 11 (40%) Def: 4 (20%)
Skl: 10 (50%) Res: 9 (20%)

Weapon Ranks: Wind (B)
Promotion Bonuses: +5 Str, +5 Mag, +4 Skl, +4 Spd, +6 Def, +3 Res, +1 Move, C Swords, B Fire, A Thunder (B without Minor Tordo)
Items: Wind
Skill: Continue
Holy Blood: Minor Tordo

So uh...this guy is apparently called “Butt-face” by the regulars at Serenes Forest. I don't know WHY he's called that. I mean...

I'm looking at it right now, as I'm typing, and still not seeing it. But oh well.

Anyway, Amid is...well, he's someone who has the STATS to be decent, but not anything else. He doesn't have Pursuit, he doesn't have a Holy Weapon, he doesn't have a good class, he doesn't get staves on promotion...and he doesn't even get a horse! That's right! Plain ol' mages like Arthur and Azel get the Magic Knight class; but specialist mages (any class specificially called Fire Mage, Thunder Mage, or Wind Mage) all promote into “Mage Fighters” instead.

Amid will get weapon triangle control and higher stats from promotion; but he won't get either staves or horseback. He's basically Levin, but without most of the things that really set Levin apart. Stats are all he has.

So if I were to compare him to anyone in Dragon Ball, I'd compare him to Hyssop. If you don't know who that is, well...that's kind of the idea :P .

Level 2 Pegasus Knight
Parents: Fury & Claude

HP: ~29 (95%) Spd: ~16 (75%)
Str: ~9 (25%) Lck: ~9 (30%)
Mag: ~1 (25%) Def: ~7 (40%)
Skl: ~10 (40%) Res: ~8 (15%)

Move: 7
Weapon Ranks: B Swords, B Lances
Promotion Bonuses: +7 Mag, +3 Skl, +3 Spd, +1 Def, +5 Res, A Swords, A Lances, B Staves (C without Minor Blagi)
Items: Slim Lance, Berserk Sword + [Inherited Items]
Skill: Pursuit
Holy Blood: Minor Blagi

Fee is an incredibly versatile character, thanks to class and her mother. Fury always passes down Pursuit, so that's that squared away. In addition, Pegasus Knights get Staves and a major magic boost upon promotion, so she doesn't even need to be a physical attacker! She could just as easily gain a Light Sword or something, and still be useful!

Hence, there are a lot of fathers you can choose for Fee. You can choose Fin, and turn Fee into a Prayer tank with a Hero Lance. You can choose Alec, and permanently dispel Fee's weakness to archers. You can choose Lex, and ratchet up her Strength, Defense, and EXP gain. You can choose Jamka, Noish, or Levin, and give her access to Critical.

Or, you can do what I did, and give her extra staff usage via Claude! Imagine it! A flying, 8 Move staff user with the Restore, Warp, Recover, and LIBRO staves on her side! It's great for gathering EXP, if nothing else!

However, Fee does tend to struggle with combat on certain chapters. Pegasus Knights never tend to do well against either Dragon Knights or Archers; and Gen 2 is filled with both these sorts of enemies. Chapters 9, in particular, is a literal ZERG RUSH of Dragon Knights trying to storm your castle; and Chapter 8 vomits them out like candy from a pinata.

But she'll still see some use. It stinks getting walled for two chapters in a row, but she's still the only flier you have for a good long while. She's invaluable just for getting to all those hard-to-reach Villages we find oh-so-valuable!

So I suppose I'd compare her to Super's version of Master Roshi! She's not the strongest fighter; but she's surprisingly handy in other contexts, and knows a lot more magic than most martial artists.

Level 2 Pegasus Knight

HP: 28 (60%) Spd: 16 (50%)
Str: 10 (30%) Lck: 3 (50%)
Mag: 1 (10%) Def: 7 (20%)
Skl: 9 (20%) Res: 9 (5%)

Move: 8
Weapon Ranks: B Swords, B Lances
Promotion Bonuses: +7 Mag, +3 Skl, +3 Spd, +1 Def, +5 Res, A Swords, A Lances, C Staves
Items: Slim Lance, Berserk Sword
Skill: Continue
Holy Blood: N/A

Oof. That's rough. She has no Pursuit, most of her growths are strictly worse than Fee's, and she doesn't get access to any of the Inheritance advantages that her counterpart does. All she's got is Continue; a skill that's obsoleted by both the Hero Lance AND her promotion! Combine that with how poorly Pegasus Knights do in Chapters 8 and 9 and...well...yeah. Her offensive woes are pretty severe.

So I guess I'd compare her to Roselle, from Dragon Ball Super. She's still valuable just for having flier utility! And she's still good enough to clear out the small fry! Just...don't throw her into any serious fights; she won't last any longer than Roselle did...

Level 1 Shaman
Parents: ??? & ???

HP: 24 (90%) Spd: 11 (30%)
Str: 0 (10%) Lck: 5 (30%)
Mag: 11 (100%) Def: 3 (10%)
Skl: 8 (20%) Res: 14 (50%)

Weapon Ranks: Light (*), Staves (B)
Promotion Bonuses: +0 Str, +7 Mag, +5 Skl, +8 Spd, +0 Def, +2 Res, +1 Move
Items: N/A
Skill: Pursuit, Continue, Awareness
Holy Blood: Major Narga, Minor Fala

Julia is an interesting unit. She's like her mother, but with much needed upgrades in every way. Better skills, better stats, better availability, better weapon selection...better everything. Plus, she has an automatic niche to fill fighting the countless mages you fight in Chapter 7. Heck, she does great against MOST of the units you can fight in Chapter 7 if you got Rezire! The only units who are a MASSIVE threat to her are Jabarro and his squad; aside from that, Julia stacks up pretty well!

Then of course, there's her promotion, which comes second only to the Master Knight's in just how broken it is. +7 Mag, +5 Skl, and +8 Spd all cover just about every weakness she could have when paired with Rezire.

That said though, she's not...amazing. Her offense is good, and Rezire helps her out a lot...but her survival isn't guaranteed. Rezire still has 12 WT, she only has 5 Move, and Julia's Skill isn't high enough to where she can always hit the people she fights. I wouldn't be comfortable soloing entire groups with her the same way I could with Celice or Sigurd (unless they're all Armour Knights or all generic mages).

Then of course, there's the fact that she leaves after Chapter 9, and doesn't join till the tail end of Final. 1.75 Chapters doesn't sound like a lot, except those just so happen to be the hardest parts of Gen 2. And yes, she can trivialize Julius, that's true...but I know of at least one other easy AND reliable way of murdering the guy. It's a surprise I'm saving for my LP, but...well, let's just say Julius isn't nearly a big enough problem for me to give THAT much weight to Julia's ability to dominate him. Plus, there's the fact that one could get saddled with Aura instead, if they always decide to conquer Sophara instead of Isaac. And if THAT happens, all her early game combat expertise goes out the window.

So, I suppose I'd compare her to Kale, from Dragon Ball Super. She is a shy girl who can be either very good, or very underwhelming, depending on the circumstances. But even at her best, she isn't THAT great compared to some of the other mighty men in her world.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 18, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ooooh, Super comparisons! We're moving further into the Dragon Ball timeline here!

You put that Arthur could be his own dad at the very beginning of Arthur's description, I think you meant Azel there. Also, is there any point in saying Julia's parents are "??? & ???" when we already know her mother, and you mention her mother?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also, is there any point in saying Julia's parents are "??? & ???" when we already know her mother, and you mention her mother?

Well, I mean...I'm sure there's at least ONE guy out there who's gonna be just blown away at how much Alvis's growths sucked. I mean JEEZ, Major Narga and Minor Fala gives a grand total of 40% HP, 70% MAG, and 40% RES; and Deirdre's adding onto that with her personal growths of 40% HP, 10% STR, 10% MAG, 20% SKL, 10% SPD, 10% LCK, 10% DEF, and 10% RES.

Which means Alvis is contributing a whopping... 10% HP, 20% MAG, 20% SPD, and 20% LCK. This means that HIS personal growths, without Holy Blood bonuses, are...20% HP, 0% STR, 40% MAG, 0% SKL, 40% SPD, 0% DEF, and 0% RES...

Owch. Dem promo gains for Emperor must be INSANE for him to have STILL gotten +20 HP in just five levels...

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 18, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

So here's where I'm at on the next update. I just realized that I don't have Chapter 7 recorded. I believe I had Chapter 6 pre-recorded before actually covering it, so I think I mistakenly assumed that was the case for C7, too; but it was not. For that reason, I'm going to probably take about 2-3 days to record that.

In the meantime, you all WILL get an update tomorrow; it's just one that's going to mostly cover Pre-Battle dialogue, along with maybe some Arena fights and some strategy talk as to what I intend to do with Chapter 7. It will be a much shorter update than what I've been doing so far; most of the ones I've done range from around 40,000 to 50,000 characters, but this one's probably going to be more in the range of...7,450 characters, I want to say? Don't worry, I'll make it longer if I feel like it's lacking in content by the end :) .

Now, if I get done with that, and I come away thinking that's something that's going to increase my productivity; my future updates will probably be much shorter in exchange for being much more frequent. I don't want to burn out the way the SpoonyOne did; and let's face it, my LP's have more hiatus's then Nomura on Kingdom Hearts! Oftentimes, getting started on an update is harder than the actual work! The actual image editing and writing tends to be the easier part of doing this LP; so I figure I'm going to start planning my update lengths around my own mental stamina, rather than trying to always jam-pack each one with as much content as an update can possibly have (which has been my model before).

Hopefully that makes sense, and hopefully this model will work out. If I don't think it's working out by the time I've done a few updates, then I'll go back to what I was doing before. And I also won't work on anything else till THIS LP gets finished! I already tried that with that whole "Fire Emblem Gaiden RTA" project I tried, and well...THAT didn't work out, did it ;) ? So I'm seeing this through to the end before doing anything else.

So till then, consider this LP as being in something of a transitionary period while I try and find my groove. Have a nice night, and God bless you all!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 22, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Last time, on Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War; Celice carved a path of destruction through every part of Isaac! Generals, cavalry, bandits...NO ONE could stand up to his AWESOME power! He's even acquired a plethora of powerful allies during his efforts! Levin, Shanan, the sons and daughters of those who served Sigurd...and even one of Lord Dannan's sons! All of these and more have elected to join our cause!

And now it's time to move on to the Yied Desert! What new challenges await Sir Celice? Let's find out!

Word spread of the liberation army under Imperial Prince Celice, instilling a sense of courage in those still suffering under the empire’s tyrannical rule.

However, many lacked solid leadership and were easily crushed by the empire. Casualities at the hands of the imperial troops were enormous.

In the Kingdom of Lenster in the Thracia Peninsula, Cuan’s son, Prince Leaf, assembled a resistance force with Fin’s assistance. But they suffered a crushing defeat before King Blume’s massive army and found themselves stranded in enemy territory.

The Yied Desert was administered by a Lopt Sectarian named Cutozov from Yied Shrine.

Hello "Cutozov from Yied Shrine"; mind if I just call ya Cutozov? Name's a bit of a mouthful :haw: .

Stationed in the oasis town of Darna was Bramsel, a former merchant, and Jabarro, commander of a mercenary squad.

See, Boo? THAT'S how you properly grammar a sentence!

Prince Ishtor and the highly revered General Liza protected Melgen Castle...

...while Duke Reptor’s son, King Blume, was at the captal in Alster with his niece, a young mage named Tinny.

Celice was all set to depart Rivough and lead the warriors of Isaac’s liberation army on a rescue mission to distant Lenster. Each warrior put aside his and her individual concerns as they embraced the new challenge before them.

Ah yes, concerns. Concerns like "am I ever gonna get EXP? When Celice keeps hogging it all?"

Chapter 7: Beyond the Desert

Whoa, spoiler alert! The game already told us that we're making it past the Desert. Now the story's RUINED :colbert: !

Also, here's our buddy, Fin.

Fin: Prince Leaf, we’ve lost our entire fighting force.

This here's part of the reason why I'm hesitant to play Thracia 776. Just look at what Fin's describing here! I'm just picturing getting to the Epilogue, only for every character's endings being some variation of "this guy I've been using the whole game got a lightning bolt shoved through their eyesocket", or "that really awesome gal, Eyvel, died after several rounds on Queen Hilda's torture wheel".

That, or the end of FE5 has a heckton of crazy retcons that completely rewrites the fate of Leaf's army; at which point I'd just be frustrated trying to make sense of how FE5 could possibly flow into FE4...

Leaf: That can’t be... All along I thought we had a chance here. Grr! I’ll take that Blume on myself if I have to!

Fin: Prince Leaf, calm down. We’re not through yet. Levin is sending Sir Celice’s liberation army our way. We must hold out till they arrive.

Leaf: The Imperial Prince Celice... They say he’s the son of my father’s good friend Sir Sigurd and Empress Deirdre.

Most people wouldn't notice this at first, but something very important just got revealed here. Leaf isn't referring to Celice as just "Deirdre's illegitimate son", or "Alvis and Deirdre's missing son" or anything like that. No, he is specifically referring to Celice as "Sigurd and Deidre's son". As in, Sigurd slept with Deidre before Alvis ever did.

Know what that means? It means Alvis's dirty secrets got out. At some point between the end of Chapter 5 and the start of Chapter 6, Alvis's treachery became common knowledge. However Alvis may have attempted to cover it up, he failed. Perhaps this is how the Empire became more oppressive? Perhaps Alvis got more heavy-handed when his people started questioning him more and more?

Or maybe...maybe this is how the Lopt Sect got such a stranglehold? Alvis may have taken a hard stance against them in Chapter 5, but...well, people have a habit of getting desperate when their livelihood is challenged. Perhaps "deals" needed to be struck in order to silence whatever rumors were around? I mean, if that DID happen, it obviously didn't work in the end, but...who knows? Anyway, back to the A plot.

Nanna: We should abandon this castle at once and go find cover west of here near the church.

Leaf: Yeah... That may just be our only option right now. Alright. We need to hold out as long as we can. At least until Prince Celice arrives...

"Meanwhile, at the Fortress of Evil"

Ah, yes. That TERRIFYING "line of defense"; consisting of...

A young girl on a pony...

A LVL 1 prince with the 3rd weakest weapon in the game equipped...

And a Gen 1 unit whose general power level was "good, but not amazing"; even in his prime.

Yeeeah, gonna have to side with Blume on this one :colbert:

Blume: I don’t want to hear it! You capture Lenster Castle, and you do it now! Isaac’s rebel army is going to be here before you know it!

Yes sir! We will carry out our raid immediately, sir!

I mean I get that Leaf originally had more guys; but the Philip recolour really should have finished the job. Things are just gonna be that much harder on him, now that Leaf's had a chance to regroup.

But oh well; I'm not disappointed. Because far to the north, past the sandy dunes of despair, we have a far, far more ominous threat to deal with...

RIGHT AFTER THIS CUTE SPUNKY GIRL!

Patty: But this isn’t the time to be takin’ in the view. I’ve got to get a move on!

But as she tries to leave...

Patty: This sword wasn’t that easy to come by. If you want it, you just try and get it!

Shanan: Hey, wait!

Shanan! It's finally you :swoon: !! Better figure this out quick though...

Cuz you're gonna have company...

Cutozov: They got the Balmung!? Well, what are you doing here? Get after them!

But Cutozov... Shouldn’t you be able to stop them in their tracks with your black magic?

Cutozov: My Book of Fenrir is missing. I have some men looking for it, but it has yet to turn up.

I see... Well, I’ll take my squad and a few mercenaries to go in pursuit then. Cutozov... rest assured we will recover the stolen goods.

Just think; the fate of the whole free world was decided in just this ONE moment. If Cutozov had been just a little more thorough in guarding the Balmung, just a little more organized with his personal belongings, and had just one extra copy of Fenrir prepared for this exact situation...we MIGHT just not have had our happy ending....

Spoiler alert; Celice does not end up losing this war. I know; shocking isn't it?

Levin: That’s right. And with the Yied Shrine falling under the Loputo Sect’s jurisdiction, the desert is crawling with dark mages who’ll attack without any provocation. It’s no wonder people now refer to the Yied Desert as the desert of death.

Celice: That’s got to make it tough for travelers. There must be some way to capture Yied Shrine...

Levin: Hmph... I thought you’d say that. There is a way, but it’ll involve some great sacrifices.

Hey, that Survival Rank ain't earning itself, buddy. If you're not figuring anything out, you're just gonna have to get creative :colbert: .

Celice: I’m prepared for that. There’s no other way around this. And Shanan’s still out there, too. Let’s just focus on gaining control of Yied. Everything else’ll start from there!

And there we go.

Now let's see what awaits us-

OH, HOO HOO HOO HOOOOOO BOY...YIKES! Yeah, if you thought we were done with deserts after Chapter 5, well...you've got another thing coming. To further compound things...

We've got a whole nother front to deal with in the southeast corner; and you all SAW how weak are guys are. And while Blume's forces aren't the GREATEST in the world...

They're not exactly wimps, either.

This mage, in particular, is going to be troublesome for us. 27 Magic Attack is a lot even for Fin to take; so we're going to have some trouble dealing with him AND the rest of the knights. And if THAT weren't bad enough...

We also have THIS front to deal with! Yes, that's THREE parties we have to juggle! And unfortunately, Shanan and Patty have neither the numbers nor the stats to deal with Cutozov's men.

These two stats have decent stats and everything, but...

Dang...just LOOK at that Magic Attack! 30 Damage targetting Resistance! It doesn't even matter that there's a pack of Silver Sword users right next to em'; those mages would be tearing our two heroes apart regardless!

Oh yeah; and Shanan can't avoid fighting at least one Merc on enemy phase. So uh...how are we to even these odds? Well, first...

We have Patty move exactly 5 spaces away; no more, no less. This is VITALLY important; it allows her to go through the next Turn unharmed. And this way, Shanan...

...Well; I'll let you see for yourselves ;) .

Patty: Huh… what do you mean? Is this sword yours?

Shanan: Yes, it’s been in my family for generations. It’s the Divine Balmung. I’m the only one who can use it anyway, so there’s really no point in you keeping it.

Patty: Then what was this Holy thingamajig doing in Yied?

Shanan: It was taken off my father. He was killed during Isaac’s war with Grandbell. I just found out recently that it was being kept here, so I came to get it back.

Patty: Hey! You’re not Prince Shanan of Isaac, are ya?

Shanan: ...Yes, I am.

Patty: Whoa! Really!? Oh my gosh... I can’t believe it!

Shanan: ...

Patty: I have been an admirer for so long! I always dreamed of meeting you, but never did I...

Shanan: Ahem...

Patty: I just can’t believe it! I must be dreaming!

You have to remember, Prince Shanan is one of THE three main military leaders of our liberation army, along with Prince Celice and Commander Oifaye. The guy's also had that whole "true heir to the throne of Isaac" thing going for him for 16 years; and besides that, he was already a teenager by the time Celice was born. So with all that in mind...it's fair to say that he's made himself a fairly prominent political figure after running the Liberation Army for...what, 10-12 years? Depending on how long it was before Alvis's reign turned ugly? Anyways...

Shanan: ...Alright already. The sword, please.

Patty: Oh, sorry! Here you are.

Shanan: The Balmung... I finally have you now. This sword has... ah, woaahhh! The power!

Oh c,mon; if you're sword isn't throwing you into a loincloth while somehow removing all your other clothes, you can't complain. I mean, sheesh; no wonder He-Man got so much flak :( .

Patty: ...This is all too much!

And there we have it! Our team's next Super Saiyan! But can Shanan and Patty make it out of the desert alive? Can Leaf, Nanna, and Fin extricate themselves from their desperate situation? And what of the Liberation Army? Can Celice rescue everyone and see his army through unharmed? Or will the sacrifices Levin spoke of become a reality? Find out, on the next EXPLOSIVE episode of Let's Max Rank Fire Emblem 4!

This is Fionordequester, signing out. Have a nice night, and God bless you all!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 23, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

And there we have it! Our team's next Super Saiyan! But can Shanan and Patty make it out of the desert alive? Can Leaf, Nanna, and Fin extricate themselves from their desperate situation? And what of the Liberation Army? Can Celice rescue everyone and see his army through unharmed? Or will the sacrifices Levin spoke of become a reality? Find out, on the next EXPLOSIVE episode of Let's Max Rank Fire Emblem 4!

This is Fionordequester, signing out. Have a nice night, and God bless you all!

Stress and nervous tension are now serious social problems in all parts of the Galaxy, and it is in order that this situation should not be in any way exacerbated that the following facts will now be revealed in advance.

Yes.

Yes.

They'll be fine.

Yes.

No, assuming you don't count a bruised upper arm.

In the interests of preserving some level of mystery, it will not be revealed whose upper arm is bruised at this time.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

In the interests of preserving some level of mystery, it will not be revealed whose upper arm is bruised at this time.

Oh yes, DEFINITELY don't spoil that! That'd be almost as bad as spoiling Julia's real parents :ohdear: !

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...you know what? I'm going to do this! I think I'll do it at the start of every new Chapter!

Previously on Seisen no Keifu...

The Resistance was in a pickle!

I'm going to break you into a million pieces!

But we got some help from some... unexpected allies!

Prepare to be... BLOWN AWAY! Geddit?

I officially regret having you.

What was that?

Nothing.

ALL THIS THINKING IS HURTING MY BRAIN! I'M GOING TO SMASH YOU! YAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I wish I could do a Triangle Attack...

Now all we have to deal with is a deadly desert, a time limit to save my cousin, and a rescue mission for Shanan. Wish us luck, we'll need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Why did Anna suggest they abandon the castle and find cover in a church? A lot of churches were indeed fortified, but not as heavily as a castle. Or is the idea just to hide there rather than fighting? Regardless, if help is on the way, a castle would be where you'd want to be to hold out until the help arrives. Heck, this is one of the things castles are specifically designed for.

On the other hand, the talk about "breaking their line of defense" makes it look like Leaf defended his castle by parking his men outside of it and fighting it out there instead of fighting behind the walls. I know that in terms of gameplay, only one person can defend a castle, but does that hold true even for the story?