Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Twilkitri posted:

I occasionally had dreams of adding a name dictionary to the tools in some way, where you could set names in a central location and have all the script files refer back to it, but I never got around to even starting on it. Also, kind of difficult to mesh with places where names are stammered or otherwise altered (like 'Sylvie' in this update).

Yeah. I can't imagine it'd be easy. Still, at least you have screenshots like this to look at if you ever go back and do a patch Version H or something, right?

FoolyCharged posted:

Hey, look what lp is back from the dead. Good use of the valkyrie staff.

HA! You think THAT'S a good usage of it, just wait till you see what I do with it in Chapter 3!

theshim posted:

Nitpick, but it's "without further ado", not "without further adieu".

Good to see this back. :buddy:

Why thank you, for both of those statements :) !

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I, too, am happy to see this back! Y'know, I had some nitpick or comment to say about something early on in the update, but I had to stop halfway to leave for work and I've long since forgotten it.

Still, though, keep up the good work! I know doing this has to be exhausting, especially with how long each chapter is in this game.

Yeah, it is. Part of it though is that I haven't gotten my own workflow totally perfect, in terms of "how long do I let my breaks last, how much stuff should I do for each update before I'm satisfied with it, should I use co-commentators or not?" and things like that. Which is really how all LP's are, honestly. So don't worry, I'll figure something out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
So, here's a question for those who have been following along with this thread. It's been a while since I've updated this, so, I'm worried that someone might or might not have forgotten a few things, like how to advance the RNG in an Arena fight, or how Prayer works, or why I have three women and one man standing in a square in the southeast corner. And this next update is going to have some Arena fighting and all that, so...

Would it be helpful for people for me to say how I'm winning fights without RN manipulation, or how I'm manipulating Fin's HP totals, or how I'm manipulating Dew's Gold amount in order to give people only EXACTLY the amount of Gold they need? Or, for that matter, is there anything else that anyone is confused about?

Or is all that technical stuff something I can skip over without people getting lost? Just wondering!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Going into the technical stuff would probably be a good idea, especially when there's precise number manipulation in order to save as much time as possible. It'll make it easier to understand.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This is a challenge run LP so I think going more into the technical nitty gritty is good.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

More like I've forgotten what we were doing or why... nice to see it back, but I'm gonna have to re-read the whole thing up until now :negative:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

vilkacis posted:

More like I've forgotten what we were doing or why... nice to see it back, but I'm gonna have to re-read the whole thing up until now :negative:
Oh god, where am I? Why do I have a Light Sword? Oh gently caress why am I invading Augustria

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011

theshim posted:

Oh god, where am I? Why do I have a Light Sword? Oh gently caress why am I invading Augustria

Uugh... why do I have such a headache? I guess I drank a bit too hard at the "war counsel"...
Hi honey!
OHGOD HOW DID I GET MARRIED

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
I realize this is going back five months, but I really had to comment on this.

Fionordequester posted:

] King Batou: No, I'm already done for. But before I die, I have one last thing I must tell you. The evil that's rearing its head across the continent is all the work of the Dark Sect. They're out to destroy all that's good and hasten the revival of the Dark Lord Loputousu. Sandima incited our attack on Grandbell solely to further their cause. They have infested the world, Sigurd. You must stay sharp and not be led astray! Please absolve my failure to keep my citizens from harms way. S... Sigurd, I beg of you...

I bold these lines here, because this pretty much destroys ANY wiggle room there may have been for Batou NOT being a naive dummy. I mean c,mon man, you invade a country, let your sons run wild, cause all this mayhem, do all this bad stuff...and you did it all on account of a man, who you KNEW was part of a group called THE FRICKEN DARK SECT!!, who you KNEW was specifically dedicated to REVIVING SATAN!! YOU KNEW THIS!! Obviously you knew this, or you wouldn't be telling us this!

And yet, you still honestly thought he was working for the good of your country? WHY?! HOW ARE YOU THIS NAIVE?!?

It's not like Manfloy and Sandima left the room after supposedly killing him, he learned it from their ill timed exposition. Well, probably? I mean they didn't call themselves the Dark Sect, but maybe Batou was just extrapolating from the facts that they're trying to revive a dark god and one of them has the title of Archbishop. As long as they don't call themselves the Dark Sect in the future, it's safe to assume that he made the name up on his own.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

...Huh. My gosh. You're right about that Jegan! I mean, Manfloy DOES refer to Loputousu as "our Dark Lord", but neither he nor anyone else in the sect actually refer to themselves as the "Dark Sect". In fact, the "Dark Sect" name in general is used very rarely after this. Aside from one instance in Chapter 3 and Chapter 10, everyone else generally just uses either "the Lopt Sect", or the "Loputo Sect" (depending on how Jay and Boo are feeling I guess).

Anyway, good catch Jegan! Thanks for telling me about that.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Happy New Years fellow warriors! Welcome back to Let's Max Rank FE4! Last time, we had to face Clement the wizard! Though he had no ill intent, he put up a fierce defensive front, thinking that Sigurd was out to raze Agustria! He fought for his home country, and was cut down in a war with no justice. But with a heavy heart, we move on, remembering his dedication. Oh, and Shagaal is sending some girl called Fury to attack us, because apparently she's looking for Levin. Considering that Levin is among us right now though, well...we'll see just how long she can go before seeing the light.

Will we break through Shagaal's maniacal machinations? Find out, today!

But first, we have some villages to visit, and some gold to procure for our men. So let's see what we get from this one!

Each year big towns like Agusty and Mackily hold witch hunts and arrest a ton of people. Then they burn ’em at the stake for doin’ what? Absolutely nothin’! Is that nuts or what!?

Hysteria never is a good thing is it?

Oh well. At least we got some money out of the deal.

Now then, let's get Alec and Lex back to our home base...

And let's get Noish some more money as well. He has the Bargain Ring, but he still needs just a BIT more if he wants to stand a chance of beating the Arena!

Speaking of which, here's Holyn going splat against Deirdre! Now to collect our 4000G and...

:wth:

Holyn: You’ve got some serious spirit in your attack. Obviously you’re not here for the money.

Actually I kind of am in this case, but go on :allears:.

Holyn: Cash has been my motivator all these years… But after seeing you it kinda loses its meaning. You mind if I tag along? It’d be nice to fight for something real for a change.

As opposed to what, actually DOING YOUR JOB as the prince of Sophara itself? Yeah, Sophara is castle in the southern Isaacian region. So just what the heck Holyn's doing all the way out here, fighting here in an arena inside the capital of Verdane, on the exact opposite of the world, is utterly beyond me. Dude must've been a real snot in his terrible teens :mmmhmm:
Anyways, let's talk about Holyn, shall we?

Level 12 Swordfighter

HP: 40 (110%) Spd: 17 (30%)
Str: 14 (30%) Lck: 1 (20%)
Mag: 0 (5%) Def: 11 (30%)
Skl: 17 (80%) Res: 1 (5%)

Move (before Promotion): 6
Move (after Promotion): 6
Weapon Ranks (before Promotion): Swords (A)
Weapon Ranks (after Promotion): Swords (A)
Promotion Bonuses: +5 Str, +3 Mag, +2 Skl, +2 Spd, +2 Def, +3 Res
Items: Iron Blade
Skill: Pursuit, Moon Sword (Skl%=Halves enemy defense before strike hits)
Holy Blood: Minor Odo

So here's Holyn everyone. He's...basically Aira, but better in almost every possible way, ESPECIALLY in his growth rates. In fact, his growths are the exact same as Aira's, except he gets 20% higher Skill and 40% higher HP. There is, quite literally, not a single area where his growths are worse than Aira's. They are either the exact same, or flat out better.

Seriously, even if Aira were to join at Level 12 (and not Level 4), she would STILL only surpass him in Speed, Skill, Luck, and Res. Other than that, Holyn still ties her in Strength, and has a SIGNIFICANT advantage in HP and Defense. And, to add further insult to injury, Aira's not really even going to be leading by that much even in Speed and Skill. Both of their starting Speed and Skill stats are so high, that they're already capping them long before either of them ever hit Level 30.

Because of that, the only significant thing Aira has over Holyn is that Meteor Sword is a better skill than Luna Sword, which doesn't do much against anyone without really high defense. But, Holyn's Strength is more than enough to make up for that, and Aira's glass cannon status makes it difficult for her to actually USE her Meteor Sword anyway. Perhaps most importantly, however, is that Holyn is just capable of taking a much more vicious butt-kicking than Aira is, even at equal levels. Where base Aira is getting 3HKOed by enemies in this chapter, base Holyn is only getting 5HKOed by the same stuff, and is 8 levels closer to promoting.

So, if Aira is Android #18, I guess that'd make Holyn Android #17. He's stronger in every way, but is also much lazier, and tends to get sidetracked much more often. Oh, also, Aira and Holyn are distantly related..

Now, time for some staff grinding...

Some dancing from everyone's favorite 14 year old dancer...

And then yet more grinding, for a grand total of 120 EXP this turn!

And that'd end our turn :getin:!

“Meanwhile, at the Fortress of Evil...”

Shagaal: Stop your nitpicking and go!

Yes, “nitpicking”, the BEST adverb to use for “つべこべいわず”. As opposed to, you know, “whining”.

That is definitely one oddity within this particular translation. For as much as I praise it for how liberal it is, there are also places where it is extremely LITERAL as well. As in, it's so literal, it's like Jay and Boo ran the script through Babelfish. But then you get to other lines, like Levin and his shrink, and it almost seems like they had some trouble deciding what kind of translation they wanted. Fortunately, this one still tends to err on the side of liberalism, but still.

Also, hi Manfloy.

Shagaal: You! Manfloy!! Y… You’re the one who told us what to do and it’s all backfired! How are you going to fix this!?

Manfloy: I merely advised the removal of the king. He was getting in the way. I believe the rest is your doing. Wouldn’t you agree?

Shagaal: drat. I just never imagined Sigurd’s army would be this strong. Manfloy, help me… What should I do?

Manfloy: There’s still hope. If necessary we can make use of that rascal you’re holding in the dungeon… Eltshan. Sigurd will listen to anything Eltshan’s got to say. Now go and give him a formal apology.

Make note of Manfloy's remark right here, and remember it for later. Just saying.

Shagaal: Er… okay. Yeah. I’ll do that. Let’s put him to some use.

Oh that's no big deal. I mean, Sandima got killed too, yet here he is, alive and kicking. Seems Loputousu isn't the only being that can be revived.

Manfloy: Only one descendant remains of our old foe Narga, and he will die before long. Then all that’s left is the revival of our Dark Lord. Then the world will be ours!

Well, at least till someone goes and revives Narga :mmmhmm:.

Dark Mage: Has Alvis consented to your proposal?

Manfloy: Of course he did.

:wth:, THAT however is not good! What the heck Alvis?!

Manfloy: He’s got Loputousu’s blood flowing in his veins. And if that ever got out, they would burn him at the stake for being of Loptian descent. I just wonder if someone as arrogant as Alvis can keep quiet.

Actually, that line is more like “could someone as proud as Alvis bear to meet such a miserable end?” Either way though, stuff just got real if Manfloy's extended his reach THIS far out :ohdear:.

Dark Mage: Alright. Next we betray the king and once you become emperor…

Manfloy: There’s a bit more to it than that. To resurrect Lord Loputousu, we’ll need not only Alvis but also that woman’s daughter.

Alright, so, here's what we have so far. We were told in Chapter 1 that Deirdre had Loputousu blood in her veins, and that she was Sigyn's daughter. The Dark Sect wants to “unite their blood” (heck of a euphemism btw) and produce Satan. And now, we've just found out that Alvis has got that Lopt blood kicking around in his veins too.

Do you know what this means? That means...that Deirdre...is Alvis's sister!! Yes, it's true! Well, that or Sigyn went and had Deirdre with someone else (which would still make Alvis and Deirdre half-siblings). So yeah, here's to hoping things don't get awkward between Sigurd and Alvis at some point :P.

Anyways, back to the A plot. We've got Zyne to deal with, but fortunately, the guy will never move till you move a unit onto or past this line...

So we've got plenty of time to prepare.

Other than those guys, all we've got left are Fury and her squad, as well as the two stragglers from last update.

Needless to say, Shagaal's dynamic duo is no match for ours, and Sigurd nets himself yet another kill for his Light Sword.

Now, time for some preparations.

First of all, here's Keimos, the REAL champion of the Chapter 2 Arena division. With 63 HP, the powerful Steel Blade, 12 AS, and 13 Defense, Keimos is a far more worthy adversary than Holyn ever was. He's durable, powerful, AND fast enough to double a good portion of your army...

Course, none of that means a blasted thing to Sigurd, who still has the Uber Slime Sword, and is as broken as he ever was...

+1 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Lck, +1 Def!

And is now yet more broken. But still, good effort :).

Now then, the chapter's almost over, and most of our guys still haven't gotten their turn in the Arena, so Sigurd's selling his Uber Slim Sword as well as the Sleep Staff we got from Clement. It seems like a lot of money, but trust me, the Light Sword's going to burn through it REAL fast.

Now then, Cuan kills the last guy, and now he and Sigurd are getting into position. So before we move on to the next enemy phase, let's take some time to visit more villages!

First, we have Noish getting some Gold.

Smashing. Now let's see what Beowulf gets.

That son of his, Prince Shagaal, is bound t’ruin the country before too long. Ahh… if only King Eltshan could’ve succeeded Agustria’s throne somehow.

Well, he would be better than Shagaal, though I worry Eltshan might have ruined Agustria in a different way. If there's one thing the Chapter 2 opening has taught me, it's that Eltshan is not the brightest tool in the shed.

Ok Ardan, you've got your Pursuit Ring, an' you've got your Uber Slim Sword.

Now let's see how you do!

Actually, Bachnin is a rather scary foe for Ardan to face, so I settle for Ardan just making it past Lovin. But next turn Lovin, NEXT turn :argh:!

Also, more miscellaneous stuff from the guys back home. Time for the next turn!

Well, actually it's not much to write home about. Like I said, Zyne stays put till you move past a certain point, so this is all that actually happens on that Enemy phase.

Alright Ardan, show us your stuff!

Nice! Good job Ardan!

And then Hertzog is next to fall, despite having WTA. Turns out, the ability to double attack with the Uber Slim Sword is a wonderful asset.

Anyways, that'll be that for Ardan. If he had gotten more points in Speed, I might have been able to have him beat Emmile the Thunder Mage too...but ah well. This'll do. Here are his levels for this Chapter...

Anyways, Ardan's done now. He's got more than enough cash for the next chapter, and I plan on doing something special with him in Chapter 3. So he won't be needing the Pursuit Ring. Here are his levels for this chapter btw.

+2 Levels, +2 HP, +2 Str, +1 Spd

Yep, those are some classic Ardan levels.

Ready for another village Noish?

A thousand thanks to y’all for comin’! Here, I’ve a sword for ya. T’is called an Iron Cutter. This sword’ll pierce some of the toughest armour around. If ya can’t use it, try sellin’ it at the pawn shop. It should fetch a good price.

Yeah, the Iron Cutter is a special kind of weapon. By itself, it kind of stinks. It's got 6 Might, 70 Accuracy, and 5 Weight, making it a less effective weapon than even the Iron Sword under most circumstances.

HOWEVER, this all changes if you fight an Armoured opponent, like Philip from the 1st Chapter 2 update, or Ardan. If you use the Iron Cutter on them, all of your strikes will automatically be a critical hit! And since the critical bonus is applied to your BASE attack power in this game, rather than simply tripling whatever damage you would do normally, this means that no one will ever be safe from the Iron Cutter, even if they max out their Defense.

Of course, this sword is rendered obsolete by the Uber Slim Sword, so it probably won't be seeing any use in this run. But still, it's a good niche weapon to have on, say, Fury, assuming you're playing this game normally.

Alright, one last village Beo. Noish got everything he needs now, so now you'll be getting this one.

Not that much else to do now, so Sigurd's now gonna start the fight with Zyne.

Now, back to the home castle, I make a fairly significant mistake. Deirdre uses the Warp Staff one last time before selling it, but I really should have just gotten her to 30 right here. I thought she'd get to it easily enough from the Chapter 3 arena, but she ended up having to fight more opponents than I thought she was going to. As a result, I ended up wasting several minutes trying to get her past some tough fights.

So take note future runners. Just get her to Level 30 here, don't try and get her last level from the next Chapter's arena. You'll be more efficient that way. Also, here's what Deirdre got in this chapter...

+20 Levels, +12 HP, +2 Str, +5 Mag, +1 Skl, +2 Spd, +1 Lck, +3 Res!

Yikes, and you thought Lilina was overspecialized. Her caps aren't even that high either, so for all intents and purposes, her growth stops at Level 14, regardless of how many levels you get after that.

Anyway, now it's Aideen's turn for the Warp Staff. Hopefully she'll have better luck with her stat gains than Deirdre did :ohdear:..

Now, back to the plot. Fury is here, and we can recruit her by having Levin talk to her. But, someone's in the way, so,

Azel takes them out real quickly...

And then Levin does his part!

Levin: Ah, this getup? I’m doing the wandering bard thing. Whaddya think?

Fury: Well, it’s fine. But why? I heard Your Highness was being held prisoner in Evans, so I came as fast as I could.

Levin: Me? A prisoner of Evans? Ha! Who would’ve told you that?

Fury: King Shagaal of Agusty.

Levin: Ha! Fury, m’girl… you’ve been had! It’s nice of you to be so trustin’, but you wouldn’t last a day in the city! You’d get caught up with the wrong people… end up like Sylvia.

Huh. Well, Kaga's acknowledging that the Sylvia thing is creepy. I dunno if that makes it better or worse.

Fury: Levin, who’s Sylvia?

Levin: She’s… ah… Nevermind. Anyway, what are you doin’ here again?

Fury: Obviously I’m here to take you back to Silesia! It’s been nearly 2 years since you just up and left. Queen Rahna is a complete wreck. Please come back with me.

Levin: If I go back, I have to succumb to the will of my late father and succeed the throne. But my uncles would never have it. One slip up and there’d be mutiny, like there is here. You know who suffers then? The people. Give the throne to somebody who can handle that. I like the freedom I have now. I’ve no use for the crown. Give it to one of my uncles.

Wow, that's...actually pretty heavy. And it says a lot about Levin that he was willing to sacrifice his comfy life in Silesia for everyone else's sake. Now, lets see what Fury thinks of that...

Fury: You know that Silesian royalty claims direct lineage with the Wind God Holsety. That means you are the only one capable of succession. Only you can preserve the Silesian lineage. And the people wish it of you as well. Levin, the queen was in tears when I left. Please… Sniff… just come back with me.

Levin: Fury, you’re not gonna start cryin’ on me too, are ya? Aghh! Give me a break. I’ve got a soft spot for cryin’ chicks, ya know. Okay. I’ll return once I’ve sorted some stuff out. Just let me rack my brain a bit, okay?

Fury: Okay. Then please let me stay with you until you do return. I’ll send word back to that you’re unharmed.

Levin: You just don’t take no for an answer, do ya? Well, I’m gonna hang a bit with Sir Sigurd. We hit it off. And his army’s full of babes! You should get to know the girls… polish up your style a bit.

Fury: Er… okay.

Levin: Fury! I’m jokin’! Don’t be so drat gullible. You really are a sweet girl. You put all the other girls to shame. Don’t you change a thing, okay?

Fury: Er.. okay. Ah, no I…

And that's the end of that. Just for fun, here's her dialogue if you decide to have Levin kill her.

So let's go over how Fury stacks up, shall we?

Level 6 Pegasus Knight

HP: 32 (50%) Spd: 18 (30%)
Str: 11 (20%) Lck: 7 (20%)
Mag: 1 (10%) Def: 9 (30%)
Skl: 12 (20%) Res: 9 (10%)

Move (before Promotion): 8
Move (after Promotion): 8
Weapon Ranks (before Promotion): Swords (B), Lances (B)
Weapon Ranks (after Promotion): Swords (A), Lances (A), Staves (C)
Promotion Bonuses: +7 Mag, +3 Skl, +3 Spd, +1 Def, +5 Res
Items: Slim Lance
Skill: Pursuit
Holy Blood: None

So Fury is, er...different. Not in a bad way mind you, quite the opposite in fact. Her growths and promotion bonuses stink, but she's got so much else going for her, that she's STILL quite handy in-spite of that. First and foremost, she can fly over all types terrain, even oceans. So she can maneuver around this game's maps in a way that most units can only dream of. For example, you remember how much of a mad dash it was trying to save all those villages in this chapter? Well just imagine how much EASIER that whole thing would have been if we had had Fury from the get-go! And now we ARE going to have her for when something like that happens again!

But in addition to that, she also just starts off really good. 18 Speed is a ridiculous amount to start with, she's got a B rank in both swords AND lances, she gets staves upon promotion, and even her Strength and Defense stats are pretty decent for her level. Yeah, eventually those are going to sag, but that won't be for a while, and she's still got the Uber Slim Sword to cover for that. Plus, with C staves + the Return Staff + the Elite Ring + Sylvia, she's not going to have any problems getting to Level 30.

Now, that being said, she's not a heavy duty fighter. Unlike some of our other units, You can't just throw her into an enemy army and expect her to survive, at least not if it has anything other than axe users. Plus, all bows in the game score automatic critical hits on her, so that's something you have to watch out for too. So if she does do any fighting, it's usually only for the sake of clearing out MBandits that no one else can reach, or for picking some stragglers off. But frankly, that's all you really need her for anyway. Because the she does with that flying horse is stuff that NO ONE else in the army can do.

In this way, I suppose I should liken Fury to Videl. She's not the strongest fighter ever, but she's still more than capable of holding her own, and she's still very resourceful. And, she's one of the only female characters who can fly! And to top it all off, Fury's canon pairing is with Levin, the guy who I already compared to Ultimate Gohan. So like with him and Videl, Fury with Levin is a story about a regular human being being married to one of the world's strongest superheroes.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 1, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Guess we'll call that a turn then!

Aaand I guess Zyne's calling that a turn too. So, let's see what we're gonna do.

See the space right above Sigurd? The one that's NOT in this guy's range?

Well, that's the best place to put Sigurd. First of all, Shagaal's men get their turn before Zyne's men do, and Sigurd can't ORKO them the way he can with Zyne's. So if he goes up any further, the armours are going to prevent Zyne's men from being able to attack Sigurd.

But we WANT Zyne's men to attack because we want more kills on his Light Sword. Plus, Zyne's got this...

Remember the Iron Cutter? Well, this “Slayer Lance” (the Horseslayer actually), is another such weapon, and this one's super effective against all cavalry units...which includes Sigurd. So for now, we need to keep away from Zyne, take out his bodyguards, and lure him into a position where we can K.O. him before he gets a chance to use it.

Of course, that's going to have to be a team effort between Cuan and Sigurd, because Zyne actually is fairly durable. Not to worry though, I have a plan.

Now, here's the final village!

Uh, think you're a bit late to the party on this one.

He’s got a magical staff called th’ Sleep Staff. Get too close an’ he’ll put yer lights out an’ freeze every muscle in yer body!

What's really weird about hint is that it's placed all the way in the northeast corner of the villages, RIGHT INSIDE Clement's Sleep Staff range. So by the time you actually make it here, you'll have already found out about Clement's ability, rendering this advice completely useless. The map design really is weird sometimes :shrug:.

So now, after a long, hard, and tiring ride in Chapter 2, everyone's accounted for. Alec and Beowulf are now back at Evans, raring to go, Noish and Lex are going to be joining them very shortly, Ardan's done everything he needed to do, and now Fury's been recruited. At this point, the only thing left to do is defeat Zyne and his men. After that, we've got all the time in the world to focus on Arena shenanigans. Speaking of which...

Lachesis splits off from the Jealousy formation real quickly to help Fin out.

Yeah, Fin gets stonewalled very briefly by Chekov. But with a little help from Sylvia and Lachesis...

Fin is now exactly where he needs to be in order to activate...

To activate the strongest Prayer! For those who've forgotten, Prayer is a personal skill that increases your Evasion by 10% for every point of HP below 11. So if you have 10 HP, you get a 10% Evasion boost for the duration of the fight. But if you have only 1 HP, like Fin has here, you get a 100% Evasion boost for the fight, which means...

That Chekov had no chance against him!

Course, now we're going to have to do the same thing with Keimos, but oh well. Journey of a thousand steps n' all that.

Actually, we'll be taking Keimos out next turn. But, we'll need Fin to go outside the castle for now.

To review, units will gain 1/5th of their HP back for every turn that they are inside the home castle. So, Fin will gain back 7 HP per turn if he's inside Evans, allowing him to get 14 HP by the time two turns pass.

However, that will only get him to exactly 26 HP, just enough for Keimos to OHKO him. And even if I wait a turn after that, Fin is going to get 33 HP, meaning that he's only going to get a 40% evasion boost against him. With Lachesis, on the other hand, I can heal him for 18 HP, putting him up to 30 HP instead. With THAT amount, Fin's going to get a 70% boost from Prayer instead, rendering him invulnerable to anything Keimos could possibly do.

Also, Deirdre's replacing Lachesis as a Jealousy bot now that Lachesis is inside. Aideen and Jamka have almost become lovers, but we haven't QUITE gotten there yet.

Alright, Zyne's men are attacking now, so let's see how they...

Oh...

Well, not good. An Arch Knight and three Lance Knights tried to attack Sigurd, but none of them survived.

Now, how are Aideen and Jamka doing I wonder?

Ah, cool! They're lovers now! Now they can freely share their Gold with each other, allowing them to purchase the Elite Ring much more easily!

So now that I've finally got that done, I'm going to return both of them to the castle and-

And...and...the heck :stare:? The heck is THIS? Well, technically, it's a lover's conversation that activates between two people once you put em both back inside the castle, but I don't know what the deal is with all the garbage text. Seems it's just one of those things that neither Jay, Boo, nor Twilkitri ever got around to fixing. So I guess it's BookofHolsety to the rescue!

Jamka: [jamka_wife]... You waited for me?

Aideen: Indeed. I prayed for your safety in battle, and it seems the gods granted it!

Yeaaaah, turns out we weren't really missing much. Aside from fixed pairings like Sigurd X Deirdre and Cuan X Ethlin, everyone just has canned responses, much like FE10's Support conversations. The only mildly interesting thing is that these conversations very slightly depending on who returned to the home castle first. The above conversation is what happens if Jamka returned first, but if Aideen returns first...

Aideen: ...[aideen_husband]? You awaited my return home, did you?

Jamka: Yeah... Got a bit worried for your sake...

Yeah, you get that instead. Actually, now that I think of it, I think I'd best show Sigurd and Deirdre's conversations as well...

Sigurd Returns to Deirdre:

Sigurd: I’m back, Deirdre!

Deirdre: Welcome home, milord.

Deirdre Returns to Sigurd:

Deirdre: I'm home, milord.

Sigurd: Welcome back, Deirdre. I'm relieved to see you're okay.

Ah, the romance. You can just feel the passion :rolleyes:. Now back to the Arena...

It's now Fury's turn to fly through it!

And fly through it she does, mainly on account of both her absurd AS and the Uber Slim Sword. Keimos and Chekov never had a chance.

+3 Levels, +1 HP, +1 Str, +1 Skl, +3 Spd, +2 Def, +1 Res!

Well, we got our Ardan levels and we got our Deirdre levels, and now? We're getting our Fury levels too.

Alright Fin, let's see if you have better luck!

+4 Levels, +4 HP, +2 Str, +2 Skl, +3 Lck!

Nnnnope, guess not. Defense and Speed are terrible stats to get screwed on, though thankfully, Prayer's there to carry him through no matter what.

Anyways, Noish and Lex finally return to the castle...

And Sigurd takes yet another strategic maneuver.

Wearing em down more and more...as you can see, Zyne's forces are a far cry from what they were in the beginning. Eventually, Zyne's going to have no choice but to expose himself to a full frontal assault.

Back at home base, I don't need Lachesis for anything right now, so I take the time to set up a Jealousy formation for her and Beo.

And then I make a bold move by selling Jamka's Killer Bow.

Yes, with all those Warp Staff shenanigans, Aideen and Jamka are strapped for cash. Even with their lover status, they're going to be cutting it close on funds for the Elite Ring. But again, we'll manage.

The most important thing is that now Aideen's getting in on that Warp Staffing action as well.

Now, Aideen's promoting soon, which will mean that she'll soon be capable of slinging spells too! So Azel's going to be going through the Arena now, that way we can turn this New copy of the Thunder Tome into a Used copy. Helps drive down the price that way.

Course, Azel's too weak to do anything to Bachnin, so he only manages to burn through 9 uses of the Tome.

+1 Level, +1 HP, +1 Mag!

Oh well. At least he got a decent level out of it.

Anyways, that's the end of our player phase...

And that's the start of our NEXT player phase!

Yeah, nothing much happened there, but now we're going to get somewhere.

First of all, we're gonna want the Defense Ring back, now that Sigurd's taken care of most of the low Attack Power enemies.

Then we want Cuan in this exact spot, JUST close enough that Zyne can throw a Javelin at him, but far enough that he can't use the Horseslayer. This way we can start softening him up without any risk.

Like so!

Zyne: I'll finish this and wipe you all out!

Yeah good luck with that, buddy. Also, Cuan got a level up.

+1 HP, +1 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Def

It really says something about FE4 that it's pre-promotes actually have BETTER growth rates than the supposed “growth units”.

And hoo boy, both of ours are now in prime position to eat Zyne alive.

And down goes yet another honorable warrior :sigh:.

Yeah, we may have gotten lucky with the war against Verdane, but most wars are not going to be so cheery in regards to who lives and who dies. Even in Nazi Germany, you have your Erwin Rommels in addition to your Adolf Hitlers, and it seems that such is the case with Agustria. Here's to hoping Eltshan isn't the next one to go...

Actually, where IS Eltshan anyway? Weren't Shagaal and Manfloy talking about using him as a hostage? Seems odd that they haven't done anything with him yet.

Oh well, we've got more guys to take care of, so I'm having Cuan kill Keimos real quickly for an HP refill, 4000G, and another level.
+1 HP, +1 Skl, +1 Def!

Well, now Cuan's got a Defense blessing of +3. So now he's got 22 Defense. To put that into perspective, even Sigurd, with the Defense Ring, doesn't have that much right now. Cuan really is a tank on a horse right now :wth:.

Alas, now he must part with the Elite Ring, that some of our other poor scrubs might become more like him.

In any case, Cuan's part is now done, so,

Now you see them...

Now you don't.

Well, guess that's that then. Other than some random weaklings here and there, all that's left is Shagaal himself, and he's...

...kind of a joke. I mean yeesh, just compare his stats to some of the other guys we fought.

Yes, Shagaal is actually less threatening than every other boss in this chapter so far!! Elliot, Philip, Voltz, and Zyne were all capable of moving, Macbeth had absurdly high defense and a Javelin, Clement had the Sleep Staff, and Boldo...

...Well, he was pretty pathetic too, but HE at least had 2 Range capabilities. Shagaal on the other hand?

Well, Shagaal doesn't even have that! The guy is, quite literally, a walking, talking punching bag. He is a joke boss, whose combat stats exist only to remind us of how pathetic he is. The only thing really notable about him...

Is that he happens to belong to the Baron class, an enemy-only class that can be best described as one of the "SNK Bosses" of FE4. They have Big Guard as a class skill and are proficient in absolutely everything except Light and Dark magic. In addition, their offensive and defensive stat caps are insane, with them capping out at 27 Strength, 30 Magic, and 28 Defense. As a result, their only “weaknesses” are that they only have caps of 22 in all other non-Luck areas, and they don't have innate Pursuit.

And the best part? This isn't even the game's strongest class! No, there's also another enemy-only class that's even MORE absurd than this one, and we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

For now though, we're still in Chapter 2, so Shagaal's not doing much to actually take advantage of any of the things I mentioned. The only interesting thing he's got is this staff, which is basically the Live Staff, but with 1-10 Range. So if a guy is close enough to him, Shagaal can heal him for 18 HP...whooo...

Anyways, in terms of gameplay stuff, this Chapter is basically over. The last third of this update is just going to cover Arena Shenanigans and a few miscellaneous conversations (including a conversation between Lachesis and Beo, who I'm pairing). So if just want to move on to the end of this Chapter, and are not interested in either the AAAA Ranked stuff, or in the extra Talk conversations, you can just skip to the end of the next post. Just letting you all know!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright Dew, your turn!

:allears:

Arena Cleared, +5 Levels, +3 HP, +1 Str, +3 Spd, +4 Lck, +2 Def, +1 Res!

Yeah, that's about average for Dew.

Alright now here's a problem. Noish is going to want Dew's Speed Ring, but...the gold cap is only 50,000G. So if I have Dew sell it now, he's going to lose 6600G in the process. 6600G that could have easily been given to anyone struggling to buy the Elite Ring on their own.

For now, I can deal with this by having Dew buy the Return and Skill Rings, but eventually, Noish is going to be running into that same issue, since he has the Bargain Ring. In this way, characters with Bargain are a little like ATM Dispensors, in that you don't have total control over just HOW much you withdraw from their accounts. You can only withdraw in certain amounts, and that can get tricky at times.

But for now, let's see how Noish does with the Pursuit Ring + Elite Ring + Uber Slim Sword!

Oh cool, Noish got 9 base Speed against Lovin! That means he can actually defeat Keimos now! Especially with...

The Speed Ring, which puts him at 14 Speed instead! Count in the Slim Sword's 1 Wgt, Noish has got 13 AS. And that is JUST enough to outspeed Keimos, who has 12.

And, with Chekov defeated, Noish has now got +10,000G again, which means...

We get the Skill Ring too! So now we've also got 10% more accuracy and 65% crit chances against Keimos, in addition to our Speed advantage. So needless to say...

Keimos is doomed.

Arena Cleared, +6 Levels, +3 HP, +4 Str, +2 Skl, +1 Spd, +2 Lck, +1 Def

Well, his Spd and Skl growths aren't that great anyhow, and nobody but the Holy Paladin Trio (Lex, Sigurd, Cuan) really have good Def growth. But that Str is amazing!

Now, here's something interesting here. See how that Uber Slim Sword only has 5 Uses on it? Well, your first instinct might be to have Noish repair it, since he has the Bargain Ring, right? But, let me ask you, which is more expensive to purchase? A Slim Sword with 50 uses, or a Slim Sword with only 5? Obviously it's the one with only 5, which costs only 300G as opposed to the full 3000G of the other one.

I had Aira buy it instead. Unfortunately, I couldn't take proper advantage of this at the time (due to the aforementioned "ATM Problems" I had with Dew), but if I had, I could've had Dew give her 18,000G instead of the 22,740G he ended up giving her. That way, she would have had only just enough money to buy the Elite Ring, leaving her at 0G with 5 uses on the Slim Sword.

She then would have solved that problem by fighting just one match against Jirow (the 1st guy). She'd get the 1000G, use it on the Slime Sword, get about 16-18 uses that way, and beat the rest of the Arena that way. That way, she will have only spent 41,300G getting through the Arena w/the Elite Ring rather than 43,000G. But alas...

This was about as low as I could go with Dew's money, even after I had Sylvia, Alec, Lachesis, and everyone else sell their C Rank swords...or so I thought.

Looking back on it, I should have just had Dew buy the Elite Ring, and then sell one of the Slim Swords and the Thief Sword/1x Iron Sword. That'd get him to 4740G. Then I could've lended that to someone else before selling the Elite Ring. That would put Dew at 20,000G. After that, I could have re-purchased those same swords, dropping Dew's Gold back down to 18,000G. Had I done that, THEN I could have given Aira a simple 18,000G, rather than giving her an extra 4740G that she didn't need.

So, there you go. Extreme math strats with Fionordequester. But oh well.

Arena Cleared, +6 Levels, +2 Str, +4 Skl, +2 Spd, +1 Res!

At least Aira seems to have appreciated the gesture. Those actually ARE decent, considering how low her non-Skl growths actually are. Not great, but decent.

Anyways, Sylvia helps Lachesis get out there into Jealousy Formation again. And 4 turns later...

Behold. What you see here is one of the very few instances where a fan translation actually takes swearing OUT of the game :aaaaa:

Shagaal: Do you really think you can defeat me!?

Well, when you put it that way...

Now, we FINALLY get to see our very first promotion in the game! Let's see what happens!

And there we go! One of my favorite promotion animations in the series, though I sadly couldn't get it any higher than 15 frames per second. But there's always Youtube.

Alright Aideen, do your thing!

Looking back on it, I should've just called it quits here, and had Jamka fight a match or two without the Elite Ring. But instead, I wasted about 12 minutes rigging Aideen a victory. But crunching the numbers now, skipping Keimos would not have made a darn bit of difference in terms of what Jamka's final level would have been in Chapter 5. Sigh...

Promotion, Arena Cleared, +10 Levels, +5 HP, +8 Mag, +4 Spd, +4 Skl, +4 Lck, +3 Def, +1 Res!

Eh, that sounds about right. This was back in the days where even the magicians had trouble growing Res, so that Res growth is about average for her.

Anyways, Jamka gets money from Aideen and buys the Iron Bow as a temporary replacement. Then once he gets to Hertzog, he's able to buy back the Killer Bow again. After that, well, he stomps just as much as you'd expect.

+6 Levels, +5 HP, +4 Str, +1 Spd, +2 Lck, +2 Def!

Actually that's pretty good for his growths. Good Str and Def growths at any rate! Also, Lex gets his promotion as well!

Now, let's see what everyone ELSE got this chapter!

Arena Cleared, +6 Levels, +6 HP, +3 Str (capped), +2 Mag, +3 Skl, +3 Spd, +1 Lck, +3 Def!

Arena Rank 4, +1 Level, +1 HP, +1 Mag!

Promotion, Arena Rank 7, +9 Levels, +9 HP, +7 Str, +1 Skl, +4 Spd, +10 Def, +4 Res!

Arena Cleared, +13 Levels, +6 Str, +6 Skl, +3 Spd, +1 Lck, +10 Def!

Arena Rank 1, +3 Levels, +3 HP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Def, +1 Res!

Arena Rank 4, +1 Level, +1 HP!

N/A

Arena Cleared, +3 Levels, +3 HP, +1 Mag, +2 Skl, +2 Spd, +1 Lck, +1 Def!

Arena Rank 1, +1 Level, +1 HP!

Arena Cleared, +2 Levels, +2 HP, +1 Str, +2 Skl, +1 Spd, +2 Lck, +2 Def!

Arena Rank 7, +2 Levels, +1 HP, +1 Skl, +1 Lck, +1 Def!

Arena Rank 7, +4 Levels, +3 HP, +2 Skl, +1 Spd, +2 Def!

Yeah, unfortunately, neither Beo nor Alec could get past Keimos, and that's because...

.......wait.......

:wth:

SYYLLLLLLLLLLVIAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Well it's no wonder Alec didn't get the Speed gains he needed for Keimos! Him and Beo needed at least 14 Speed to double him, but between Clement putting him to sleep and Sylvia slapping the crud outta him, the guy was doomed from the start! Dunno what Beo's excuse is though :colbert:.

Speaking of Beo, he can actually talk to Lachesis, so here's that conversation (and yes, it uses Aideen's theme).

Beowulf: Er… sorry. Beowulf’s the name. I’m just a mercenary, ma’am.

Lachesis: So what do you want?

Beowulf: Uh… I just came to tell you this is for real out here. This ain’t no fun’n games. And you inexperienced types ain’t makin’ things easy for the rest of us. Besides, this ain’t no place for a princess. Why don’t you get on back to your castle?

Lachesis: Where do you get off speaking to me like that!? What I do out here is no business of yours!

Beowulf: Heh heh… tough little cookie, ain’t ya. Remind me a bit of Eltshan.

:raise:

Lachesis: Wait! You know my brother?

Beowulf: Sure do. We go way back. Don’t mean t’be so nosy, but he asked me t’check up on ya.

Lachesis: Oh, I didn’t realise. I’m sorry.

Beowulf: S’alright. Eltshan also asked me t’teach you a bit about warfare. How ’bout it?

Lachesis: That’d be great!

Awesome! And we even got 100 Love Points out of that deal too! Evidently, "Friends w/Eltshan + Blonde Hair + Horse + Sword User = Perfect Eltshan Clone". Though if he's friends with Eltshan...then just where the heck was he when Elty was getting kidnapped? Heck, where was he when Eltshan was looking for people to guard Lachesis? Guess Holyn's not the only one with motivation issues :cripes: ...

Anyways, now Fury has a conversation with Sigurd.

Fury with Sigurd:

Fury: I’m Fury, a Silesian knight. I’m responsible for Prince Levin’s welfare, so I’ll be joining you.

Sigurd: …Prince Levin? What are you talking about?

Fury: Prince Levin is the successor to the throne of Silesia. He has inherited special powers as he is a descendant of Sety, the Wind Crusader.

Sigurd: Levin’s the prince of Silesia? Heh… I thought there was something different about him. So why is he parading around as a bard?

Fury: Well, that’s a bit of a story, and I’m not the one to tell it. Can we let that rest for now?

Sigurd: Sure. I’ve got plenty of other things to worry about anyway. Fury, having a Pegasus Knight on our side would sure help out. You care to do a little fighting?

Fury: No problem!

Speaking of Fury and Lachesis, here's some boss convos with Shagaal...

Shagaal vs. Fury

Shagaal: Mwahaha, it's you...finally realised the truth, did you? You stupid woman.

Fury: Shagaal! You lied to me...I cannot forgive you! Prepare yourself!

Shagaal vs. Lachesis

Shagaal: Hey, aren't you Eltshan's sister? How dare you rise up against me!

Lachesis: You're not MY king! Return my brother to me this instant!

Alright Shagaal, let's put you to bed.

So here's something funny. Sigurd can attack from close AND long range with the Light Sword. So if you use the Charge option...

You'll attack him from close range, meaning that the Light Sword will count as a physical attack, and target Shagaal's Defense, with it's default stats (12 Might, 70 Hit, and 5 Wt if you've forgotten). But if you use the Attack option...

You'll attack from 2 spaces away, and the Lightning Sword will instead act as a Lightning Tome, and will count as a magic attack instead. Because of that, it will target Shagaal's Resistance with 14 Might, 90 Hit, and 5 Wt.

I dunno man, you're not looking too good. All the color's already gone out of your face.

I'll take your Libro Staff though.

There we go, at long last. I have to say, when I said that this Chapter was long, I didn't expect it to take several MONTHS to complete :sweatdrop:! Oh, and of course, the following happens if Deirdre died at any point...

And that's the scene. No really, that's all they say. For star-crossed lovers, these two really don't have a lot to say to each other. Moving swiftly on...

Eve: It’s a magical bracelet called the Knight Ring. It bestows repeated movement on the wearer. I’m sure it’ll come in handy. Take care of yourself!

If anyone has completed Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword, you'll recall that one of the chapters required you to keep three green NPC's alive in order to get an optional bonus chapter, as well as a cool monetary reward. Well, this is exactly like that. If you kept Eve, Eva, and Alva alive for all this time (and yes, that includes not letting Nodion get conquered, I tried), you get the Knight Ring, which allows foot units to remove, just like horsemen.

Personally, I never found it that helpful as an item, but it IS really important for one reason. You can sell this thing for 20,000G, which is more than enough to solve all of Beo and Lachesis's monetary troubles! Besides, it gives us another item to help Dew horde more gold!

Oifaye: Sir, word is that King Shagaal was badly wounded, and he’s receiving medical attention by a priest of his royal staff.

Sigurd: I heard someone pulled him from the battlefield, but who was it?

Eltshan: I don’t care what he’s done. He’s still my master, and I can’t sit back and let him die.

...AAAAAAAWKAAAAARD.

Sigurd: Eltshan!? You’re not hurt! What a relief! I heard you’d been captured. We’ve been looking for you.

Eltshan: Yeah, I managed somehow. Sigurd, what’s going on here? Your army has gained control of the capital city, and I hear that Grandbell has dispatched officials to each of our castles. You’re treating us just like we were a tributary state. Did Grandbell take occupation of Agustria while I was away!? Your answer better be good, Sigurd!

Sigurd: I know, Eltshan. It doesn’t make any sense to me either. But, you aside, all of the lords of Agustria suddenly became hostile towards Grandbell. For the time being, I’ve been ordered to stay put so as to maintain public order. Eltshan, please… Just give me one year. By then the peace should be restored as well as Grandbell’s and Agustria’s relationship. And then we’ll leave Agustria. Our king has given me his word on this.

...I...think it's a little late for that. Agustria was the nation that STARTED this thing in the first place, and Shagaal even violated the Anti-War Pact in order to make it happen. So now that WE'RE the ones who came out on top...I can't see Grandbell being content to just leave it at that. And that's not even getting into the fact that Shagaal's still in charge :sigh:.

Eltshan: Hmm… Really? Well, I’ll take your word for it. Okay. You’ve got one year. Until then, I’ll be up north at Madino Castle protecting my lord. I’ve also got the Cross Knights stationed up at Fort Silvail. If it came to it, I could take you out in a moment’s notice… Sigurd, you break your promise and you can count on that! You got me!?

Sigurd: Of course! I give you my word. Eltshan, trust me!

So here's something to think about. Sigurd keeps saying “King Azmur said this” and “King Azmur promised that”...but, what does that mean exactly? The game explicitly said, in it's very first narration section, that Azmur had left most of the governing to other people. The game said that he had grown too old to really keep up with everything, so he left the actual ruling up to Prince Kurth...

...Who is now dead, according to Manfloy and Co. He was assassinated on the way home from the war with Isaach, which we apparently won. So hopefully, that would mean that Lord Ring, Lord Bryon, and Lord Claude are also coming back, and not just Lord Reptor and Lord Langbart...

So who exactly IS holding the reigns now? Lord Alvis maybe? The guy IS commanding the Royal Guard at Barhara after all...but, Manfloy just said that Alvis has “consented to his proposal”, so...so what's going to happen there? If Prince Kurth really HAS been killed by the Dark Sect, nobody at Grandbell seems to know it yet, so how's that all going to pan out? Because if the reigns of power end up going to Alvis, Reptor, or Langbart, then...what would that mean in terms of carrying out King Azmur's promises to Agustria?

...ergh...

….uh....

WANNA SEE HOW MANY KILLS THE LIGHT SWORD HAS?! Cuz yeah, that's a lot! Sigurd got this near the start of Chapter 2, and he's already killed 38 guys with it! This is Fionordequester, signing out! Have a nice day, and God bless you all!

AAAA RANKED RUN STATS

Time Taken This Update: ~1 hour, 33 minutes, and 48 seconds.

Total Time Elapsed Over the Run: ~5 hours, 58 minutes and 6 seconds.

Turns Taken This Update: 12 Turns

Total Turns Elapsed Over The Run: 106 Turns

Levels Gained This Update: 65 Levels (Now you see the power of the Elite Ring)

Total Levels Gained: 194 Levels

Things I Regret on This Section: I regret wasting something like 12 minutes rigging Aideen a win against Keimos, when it ultimately didn't end up doing much for Jamka anyway. And I could have manipulated Dew's Gold a bit better so that Aira got just 18,000G instead of 22,470G.

Total Things I Regret: In the Prologue, I regret the fact that Noish had to hang back as I rigged levels for Sigurd in the Prologue.

In Chapter 1, I should've brought Midir to guarantee that Kinbois's men would be taken down without issue.

On Chapter 2, I regret the fact that Ardan built up so many love points with Aira even though that pairing's been written out of the route, I regret making that positioning mistake with Fin, and I wish I hadn't made that careless mistake with Sigurd attacking that guard near Boldo (even if it did end up working out). I regret deciding to not just get Deirdre to Level 30 by the end of Chapter 2. I regret wasting something like 12 minutes rigging Aideen a win against Keimos, when it ultimately didn't end up doing much for Jamka anyway. I regret wasting something like 12 minutes rigging Aideen a win against Keimos, when it ultimately didn't end up doing much for Jamka anyway. And I could have manipulated Dew's Gold a bit better so that Aira got just 18,000G instead of 22,470G.

Translation Tidbits (including a few I missed last update):

Creative Liberty #10 (C2): Sylvia's flirtatious dialogue was toned down slightly in her conversations with both Sigurd and Alec. Not by much, because she still promises to show Alec a dance that is "ah, V-E-R-Y special!", but a little bit.

Essentially, she keeps saying that the army's full of "borin' old stiffs", which to me implies that she's not just a promiscuously dressed 14 year old, but a promiscuously dressed 14 year old who keeps hitting on older men. Fortunately, Jay & Boo drop that line, with Sylvia just calling Sigurd a "moron" instead. And then with her talk with Alec, she doesn't even say that much. She just essentially says "Man, finally SOMEONE notices me! I tell ya!"

So, I appreciate that.

Creative Liberty #11 (C2): Speaking of Alec and Sylvia, that whole conversation in general is translated pretty liberally. The overall meaning of it is still the same (Alec's hitting on Sylvia, and Sylvia still says that he'll show him a "special" dance), but the wording differs much more than usual from the original script. For reference, the original script goes something like this...

Alec: Hey, you're Sylvia right? Excuse me for saying so, but DAAANG, you're SMOKIN'!

Sylvia: Really?! Ha! And here I was thinkin' this army was just full of nothin' but stiff n' borin' ol' military types! About time someone noticed me!

Alec: Oh really now? Guess that'd make me the only decent guy here eh? Glad I found ya!

Sylvia: Thanks! Me too!

Alec: Yeah. So uh, I'm thinking we're gonna be here a while, so you wanna grab something to eat sometime, maybe hang out?

Sylvia: Absolutely! Maybe I'll even dance for ya! I got somethin' special that ain't NO ONE'S ever seen! It's kinda embarrasing though, cuz it's VERY special. But maybe I can show you!

Alec: A-Alright! Now that I GOTTA see!

Creative Liberty #12 (C2): When Fury agress to "polish up her style a bit" by watching the other babes, Levin doesn't tell her to "stop being so drat guillable". Instead, he just tells her to "loosen up a bit", though he still tells her that she doesn't have to change anything about herself. I was originally going to chalk this up to another mistranslation...

But thinking about it further, Jay & Boo's interpretation actually makes more sense, especially since Levin JUST got done chiding her for being so easily duped by Shagaal [we're using old patch names in my LP]. It makes sense then, that he'd harp on that point even further after she took him so literally.

Creative Liberty #13 (C2): Remember how Shagaal's opening statement is "Grrr"? Turns out, that was a bowlderization of the original script, where he literally says, "S***!". No, seriously, he uses the actual, literal word for "poop". So this here is probably one of the few instances where the fan translation actually takes swearing OUT of the game, rather than cramming in as much as they can...

Which is awesome...though also kind of odd, since they were ok with Sigurd saying that he was going to go "hunting those b******s down" in the Prologue.  And also Gerrard calling DiMaggio a "worthless piece of cr**" in the Prologue. Not sure then how THOSE got through, but not Shagaal saying "POO!"...

Creative Liberty #14 (C2): Sigurd's line when talking to Sylvia.  Here, he says "Now what's she...Geez...I'm never going to get rid of her!"  In the original script, he just says something like "Uggh, this is just great".  Just a small line change that I rather liked.

Mistranslation #15 (C2): Shagaal order for Zyne to "Stop his nitpicking and go!" is obviously not correct. The word Shagaal used CAN actually mean "nitpicking", but it can also mean "whining", which is most likely what was intended...

Still, I actually do kind of find the mistranslation charming in it's own way. Like, Shagaal is basically on the edge of a nervous breakdown before Manfloy shows up again, right? Considering his personality, it makes sense then that he'd be saying something like "SHUT UP! St-stop your, your....NITPICKING, and GO ALREADY!!!"

Of course, I'm guessing that wasn't intentional so much as it was Jay & Boo being tone-deaf again, but...still, happy accidents and all that :P.

Mistranslation #16 (C2): Well, ok, not TECHNICALLY a mistranslation really, more like poor wording. I'm talking about the way Shagaal reacts to Manfloy's plan to use Eltshan to save his own skin. Basically, looking at the Japanese script, you get the impression that Shagaal's not going along with it just because he HAS to. No, he actually thinks that their plan is like, the most brilliant plan in the world. Yet, in the patch, the lack of exclamation marks gives the impression that he's just kind of going like "Wha-, Eltshan? Ok sure, whatever, let's go use him."

Kind of too bad really. To paraphrase Amielleon (one of BookofHolsety's greatest proofreaders), it really says something about Shagaal that he'll through Eldie in the dungeon and laugh in his face one moment, and then so shortly after be like, "You're right!! He can save me!! Yaay!!!! Brilliant plan. I'm brilliant."

Which is why Manfloy's immediate reaction is ":stare:...Wow. You're an idiot."

Mistranslation #17 (C2): Manfloy seems awfully unsure about whether or not Alvis will keep silent about his Loptian blood, doesn't he? But, actually he's not. It's another one of those sentences that's somewhat hard to translate, but most likely what he's actually saying is something like...

"Could a man as proud as Alvis bear to meet such an end?"

So the actual statement is more like "Alvis has Loptian blood. And if that ever got out, he would be burned at the stake, and go down in history as the 'spawn' of the Dark Lord himself. Now, I ask you, could someone as proud as him ever bear to meet such a miserable end? I think not."

Mistranslation #18 (C2): Sigurd wonders who saved Shagaal's life here, but there's a bit more bite to it in the original script. Basically, there's an adverb at the beginning of one of those sentences, "いったい", that translates to something like "What the heck?", or "What in the world", or "Who in the world"...things like that. So Sigurd's line is more like "I heard someone rescue him, but who in the world would do THAT?"

Which is actually really funny, considering that Eltshan picks that EXACT moment to walk in and say "Uh, excuse me? That was me, thank you."

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 1, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

I'm just going to say that I laugh a little bit every time you call it the Slime Sword.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I wonder if the official ages references to when the characters join you or when the prologue starts. It doesn't matter that much though, at least not in this generation, since the very youngest characters join too early for it to make a significant difference.

Anyway, I love how Sigurd is all "I didn't intend to conquer Augustria, it just happened".

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Crystalgate posted:

I wonder if the official ages references to when the characters join you or when the prologue starts. It doesn't matter that much though, at least not in this generation, since the very youngest characters join too early for it to make a significant difference.

Anyway, I love how Sigurd is all "I didn't intend to conquer Augustria, it just happened".

Sigurd accidentally conquering half the world is the best thing about this game's plot.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Man, this guy has the best/worst/best worst name.

theshim posted:

I'm just going to say that I laugh a little bit every time you call it the Slime Sword.

Also this.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

vilkacis posted:

Man, this guy has the best/worst/best worst name.

Ok, that is absolutely amazing. Already shared that with the dudes at Serenes Forest, maybe I ought to put that on the OP as well? Who knows?

Crystalgate posted:

Actually, I think about 4 years passes between the start of the game and the end. I would know because, um...well...that whole thing about who I'd pair Sylvia and Dew with :cripes:.

Anyways though, since that's the end of Chapter 2, it's time for the annual check-up. How is my LP now? Anything you'd change, like maybe how I'm organizing all the flavor text, or writing style, or how I use screenshots or GIFs or...anything like that? For example, about GIFs and flavor text. I've been mainly using GIFs for the boss fights or for new animations, and as for the flavor text, I've been bringing them up as it seemed convenient to me rather than laying them out in any organized fashion. Is that working for you all, or are there other approaches you would prefer to that, or anything else?

And for those new to FE4, like Vilkacis...what do you all think of it so far? I'm curious. Finding out people's reactions to a game is half the fun after all!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 3, 2016

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

Actually, I think about 4 years passes between the start of the game and the end. I would know because, um...well...that whole thing about who I'd pair Sylvia and Dew with :cripes:.
Well, yes, obviously it matters a lot that Dew is 17 instead of 13 in chapter 5. However, I was talking about starting ages. Dew joins early and is still 13 even if the starting ages refers to start of prologue instead of when they join. As for Sylvia, she joins in chapter 2. The game takes place over 4 years, but the prologue is short and I know there's at least one "almost a year passed" timeskip coming up, so probably not much more than one year has passed by the time she joins.

Anyway, the LP is working out just fine to me. Typically, the level of explanation is right, very little time is spent explaining things I already know and I haven't encountered a "what did you just do right now?" situation yet.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yup, working nicely. Easy to follow, even not knowing the game and only remembering half the story.

Thinking back, I should have chopped out his shoulders and just stuck the head on :saddowns:

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Nice! Glad to hear that guys! Anyways, the next update will be coming very soon. This one...is probably going to be a pretty short one, all things considered, but, we'll also have another War Room update, so look forward to that. And in addition, I discovered a neat trick in Chapter 5 that allows me to max some people's levels, even if they go into that chapter at only Level 20. So yeah, things are going good. Also...

Crystalgate posted:

Well, yes, obviously it matters a lot that Dew is 17 instead of 13 in chapter 5. However, I was talking about starting ages. Dew joins early and is still 13 even if the starting ages refers to start of prologue instead of when they join. As for Sylvia, she joins in chapter 2. The game takes place over 4 years, but the prologue is short and I know there's at least one "almost a year passed" timeskip coming up, so probably not much more than one year has passed by the time she joins.

Hmm...Well, as far as I can tell, Gen 1 takes place over a period of 4 years. Then after Chapter 2, Sigurd gets his one year, and Deirdre's given birth to a child (nah, that's not that big of a spoiler). Then after Chapter 3, "more than a year" passes. But then very little time passes after Chapter 4 (Sigurd states that his child is still under 2 years old in Chapter 5). So from the end of Chapter 2 to the start of Chapter 5, there's about a 2-2.5 year time span

What that then means, therefore, is that we actually HAVE already covered something like one-and-a-half years by this point, I think, which means that Dew and Sylvia would be 14-15 and 15-16 respectively. Does that math work out alright? Sylvia's behavior in Chapter 2 DOES kind of make sense if she's just hit 16, now that I think about it. That's the minimum age a girl has to be in order to get married, so that's probably something of a magic number.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 7, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, out of curiosity, what RPG's have you all played? This War Room update is going to be on why it's sometimes better to skip enemies than to fight them, in-spite of the fact that there's an EXP Rank to fulfill, and I'm thinking of using something like FFVI, FFVII, or Dragon Quest IV to demonstrate a point that I want to make this update. Or perhaps I'll use an anecdote from Melth's FE6 LP, I haven't decided. Either way though, I also want to make sure it's something you all can relate to.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I've played a lot of RPGs in my life. Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Pokemon, a bit of Dragon Quest, and unaffiliated RPGs like the Dragon Ball ones.

Basically any example would work well for me, I think.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

Actually, out of curiosity, what RPG's have you all played? This War Room update is going to be on why it's sometimes better to skip enemies than to fight them, in-spite of the fact that there's an EXP Rank to fulfill, and I'm thinking of using something like FFVI, FFVII, or Dragon Quest IV to demonstrate a point that I want to make this update. Or perhaps I'll use an anecdote from Melth's FE6 LP, I haven't decided. Either way though, I also want to make sure it's something you all can relate to.

Pretty much any example would probably work for me, as well. I've dabbled in Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy, tiny bit of Dragon Quest, lots of Shin Megami Tensei, Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey, Suikoden, Breath of Fire, Super Robot Wars... And that's just JRPGs. I like RPGs. I like them a lot.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I've played most Final Fantasy games and Dragon Quest games up to and including the Playstation 2 era. In general, I've played a lot of RPGs up until then. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series seems like good bets for JRPG players.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hello fellow Grandbellians, and welcome back to Let's Max Rank Fire Emblem 4! Last chapter, King Shagaal kidnapped Eltshan, so we rescued him by burning the whole bloody thing down to the ground! Eltshan wasn't too happy about that, so we promised him that we'd leave after a year or so, and then everything would be RIGHT back to where it was! Will things actually turn out that way? Find out, TODAY!

Keeping his word with Eltshan, Sigurd did not pursue him.

Rather too bad he didn't really. Imagine what would've happened if the U.S. went to all that trouble to beat Nazi Germany, and then just plopped Hitler right back on his throne again. That's why most countries tend to get rid of the guy who waged war on them :colbert:.

While the troops rested at Agusty Castle, Sigurd worked to fulfill his promise to Eltshan. He persisted in negotiations aimed to return administrative control back to Agusty. However, the directive from Barhara to ‘maintain a presence’, and ‘govern the people’, never changed.

Of course, most countries throughout history weren't quite as...evangelistic about things as we try to be, so "getting rid of the guy" usually involved killing his/her entire family, as well as anyone who was even distantly related to him/her. For example, this was done by the Bolsheviks when they overthrew the Russian government in 1918. Those were the guys who started the Soviet Union by the way.

In a half year’s time, the officials dispatched to Agustria became exceedingly reckless, and began to abuse the power they were entrusted with. The discontent of the Agustrian people slowly began to take root. Before long, a new conflict arose giving Sigurd great cause for concern.

That is kind of a plothole in this game though. As demonstrated above, not everyone's like Sigurd, and we only need to look as far as Lord Reptor and Lord Langbart to prove it. Plus, there was that whole situation with Shanan and Aira in Chapter 1, as well as this excerpt from the Fire Emblem: Treasure book...

At the time, in war, any men in the enemy’s royal family, even children, were to be executed. The better case for women would be slavery, and the usual case was to be raped and murdered. Maricle of course did not want his son Shannan, nor his kawaii (in this context it doesn’t suggest anything other than brotherly love) sister [so, "his beloved sister", basically], to go through such a thing. He knew that if he said to take care of Shannan, his competetive sister would not be able to say no. As Maricle thought, Ayra had no choice but to take Shannan and escape the battlefield, and her country.

So, there you go.

Shagaal had been arranging a military force at Madino poised to challenge Sigurd in an attempt to regain control of the capitol at Agusty.

With all that, I have to ask, "why the H.F.I.L. is Shagaal still being allowed to run around like this"? Obviously this is better than killing his entire family, but you'd think they'd at least deal with him in some way. Sigurd's just a soldier after all. If Mr. Azmur were to give the command, he'd have no choice but to carry it out.

Meanwhile the notorious Orgahil Pirates north of Madino positioned themselves to take advantage of the ensuing chaos.

Crud.......we're going to have to fight THOSE guys too, aren't we?

The ensuing conflict weighed heavily on Sigurd’s heart.

In addition, Eltshan had troops stationed at Silvail Fort southwest of Madino. The battle on the horizon was gearing up to be a true test of one’s friendship and loyalty. All of Sigurd’s attention was now focused on the looming threat at the northern reaches of Agustria… one that could very well change the course of history.

Pfeh, "change the course of history". They say that practically every chapter, I wouldn't pay that any mind :cheeky:.

Eltshan the Lionheart

This is gonna be a sad chapter isn't it :( ?

Shagaal: Alright, prepare to advance. This is our last chance to take back Agusty! Look at them… making themselves at home in MY country! I can only be pushed so far. They’re going to pay dearly for this! Jacoban! Where’s my swordsman… Jacoban!?

And of course, Shagaal's hiring mercenaries ONCE AGAIN to help him out. Because Voltz and Co. did such a great job last time :cripes:...

:mmmhmm:

Pro tip: Anyone who goes around yelling about his "Thunder Sword" is probably not going to get better results than your entire army from last chapter.

Eltshan: Now I’ll have to postpone my return to the capital! Aaah… I can’t fight Sigurd. What to do… what to do…

Well, you've got some Agustrian blood in you. Major Hezul blood in fact. If you were to take your knights and perform a coup, nobody would probably mind. No dictator can do anything without his military backing him up after all.

Actually, speaking of military insurrections...

Dobarl: I reckon th’ villages’ll be ours fer th’ takin’. We couldn’t lay a hand on ’em with th’ Agustrian army always ’round, but now it’ll be a cinch!

Briggid: Dobarl, enough! I won’t allow any such nonsense! I’ve got a creed to uphold, and pilfering is no part of it. We Orgahill Pirates are known for giving to the poor, not taking from them!

Here's Beavis and Butthead again...

Pizarl: That woman? She ain’t th’ late cap’n’s daughter, I’ll have ya know. The cap’n picked ‘er up when she was a wee lit’le t’ing and raised ‘er here on this island. But no one ‘as told ‘er. So she t’inks she’s runnin’ t’ings. T’is nothin’ t’worry ’bout, mate. Well, ‘nough said. Let’s go a treasure huntin’!

Give the artists credit for one thing, at least they actually bothered to recolor them this time :rolleyes:.

Sigurd: Eltshan... what in the world is going on...

Oifaye: And in the midst of all this, the Orgahill Pirates have begun to move.

Sigurd: Really? Well, we’ve no choice. Prepare to attack!

Sigurd: Someone has to stay behind with our baby boy.

Deirdre: …Yes, I know.

Sigurd: Deirdre, don’t be so down… I promise I’ll be back as soon as I can! Shanan, help me out. I need you to look after Deirdre and Celice.

Sigurd: Don’t you worry. This isn’t forever.

Deirdre: Sigurd…

Shanan's the little kid from Chapter 1 btw. The Isaachian prince that Aira had to protect. Turns out, "being kind to your enemies" can have it's own set of perks :3:.

Alright, so let's see what we're dealing with here...

UPDATE FROM AUGUST 6, 2016: Actually, no, let's not do that yet, because I want to talk about Lachesis. See these two losers below?

They're the first two Chapter 3 Arena enemies, and they are utterly trivialized by the Prayer Sword. But more importantly, beating them gives 2500G, which gives Lachesis JUST enough to do what I want to do with her in Chapter 4. I missed this step, and had to gameshark 2500G into her inventory as a result; don't repeat my mistake. You CAN still execute the Chapter 4 strat without the 2500G...but it's much messier to do so, because it involves some unneeded finnagling with the Chapter 4 Arena enemies. Just so you know!

Ok, NOW let's see what we're dealing with here...

Sigh, this Chapter...this chapter is deceptively hard, at least as far as an AAAA Ranked Run is concerned. The enemies themselves are fairly weak, scattered, and easy to deal with, but the map itself is extremely wide and open, and we have several objectives we want to achieve, all while blazing our way through the map. What this means is that we have the following objectives...

1) Seize Madino by Turn 5

2) Seize Silvail by Turn 12-13 or so (I don't remember off-hand)

3) Seize Orgahil by Turn 19 or so (don't remember off-hand)

That by itself isn't too bad, since Sigurd is so OP now. But, here's the thing. We also have to...

1) Save all the villages from the pirates, when they're scattered all over the map.

2) Decide who gets what village

3) Get Ethlin to Level 30 while moving her around the map.

4) Decide whether or not stuff like the Ichaval and Wind Sword are worth getting, and whether or not it's worth putting Claude and Tiltyu through the Arena when you recruit them.

In other words, there's just a lot to think about, especially since the map is so wide and open compared to most of the others. Admittedly, I probably didn't need to blaze through the map so fast since turn counts are so limited, but, one of the things I promised in this thread was a run that was efficient as well as easy, so I'm sticking to that. So, without further adieu, here's the gameplay.

Firstly, Ethlin's going to be hogging the Elite Ring for a bit, so we'll want to have as many people as we can to go through the Arena.

First up is Alec, who's still got the Elite Ring on. And after beating the first two opponents, we get, THIS, OUR PROMOTION!!

Aw, no more funny faces...

Oh well, at least he managed to beat up Dyuma. That guy's only at Rank 5, but, well...the Rank 6 guy is kind of a monster.

Guy's name is Keller, and with 64 HP, 19 Str, 14 Skl, 14 Spd, and 15 Def, the guy's actually stronger than Zyne himself was, AND he's got the Hero Lance! I mean, I COULD win with Alec, and actually, I was originally planning on doing just that...

But after going back over Chapters 3-5, I've just discovered a fabulous new trick for leveling up all of our sword users to max, WITHOUT having to clear all of the Arenas. Because of that...

Arena Rank 6, +2 Levels, +1 HP, +1 Str, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Lck, +1 Def!

Arena Rank 6, +4 Levels, +3 HP, +2 Str, +1 Skl!

Arena Rank 6, +3 Levels, +3 HP, +2 Str, +2 Skl, +1 Res!

Arena Completed, +5 Levels, +4 HP, +1 Str, +1 Mag, +3 Skl!

I'm just not going to bother with many of the weaker sword units. Aira on the other hand, well, she's just in a league of her own ;). One more thing though,

We've also got this guy to deal with. Most of our physical units can beat him, but he makes things just about impossible for our poor magic users. Even LEVIN can't beat him!

+2 Levels, +2 HP, +1 Skl, +2 Spd, +1 Lck, +2 Res!

So, that's about all he gets this chapter :sigh:. Speaking of minimal EXP. Gain...

I had Deirdre beat the first two Arena opponents, but that was only for the sake of more money to give to Sigurd. For actually getting Deirdre up to Level 30, I just had her use the Live Staff twice. She's so insanely high leveled at this point, that she literally gets nothing from some of the enemies here, so this is easier and more efficient.

After that, I have Deirdre give Sigurd as much as she can since she's sitting out for this Chapter. Now then, onto the next person, Fin. Unfortunately, Fin's really fallen behind at this point, so he's going to need an edge...

There we go.

There, now he's doing well! But, he's going to have to fight Dyuma next, so save your game...

And hope that Dyuma doesn't kill you. The way Fin's HP is, Dyuma's Hit is radically reduced, but not eliminated, so that's scary.

But you know who's scarier? Keller, and he'll most likely kill you. Hence, it's time to sell back our stuff...

And then get killed by Keller.

After that, Lachesis heals him. Next turn, his HP will be high enough to survive a hit from Keller, but low enough that he gets a 100% Prayer boost from it. Number manipulation :science: !

Oh yeah, and Midir gets killed too, by the very first guy in the Arena...Yeah, he's not going to be doing too much for us in the future :cheeky:.

Now after buying Alec an Iron Lance, I send him off with Beo to rescue these villages here.

Yeah, there's no way we're going to get to these before those guys do, so it's important to be able to OHKO these guys for added Gold and time saving. That's why I got Alec the Iron Lance. With that, he has JUST enough Attack to ORKO both of these guys. And then Beo can collect one of them so that he can buy the Elite Ring afterwards.

Alright, your turn Jamka.

I could've had Jamka save a few uses of the Killer Bow for the weaker guys, save a bit of money repairing it...but, I don't think that's necessary. In any case, Jamka owns the Arena, as always.

+4 Levels, +4 HP, +2 Str, +1 Skl, +2 Lck, +3 Def!

Alright, I think that's everyone. Time to finally get this show on the road!

Right back atchya Aideen :D ! Now...

First, Cuan gets his Hero Lance back. It may seem odd that I threw the Hero Lance at Fin only to only have him get to Rank 6 with it, but, I think I just happened to have enough money to throw around to make it happen. Plus, without it, he might've lost to one of the earlier opponents, affecting how much time he got with the Elite Ring...still, that's a strat that could probably be examined if you wish.

Regardless, Ethlin's going to need the Elite Ring now, and THAT is NOT negotiable! After all...

It's going to be a bit of a crunch getting Ethlin to level fast enough as to not waste more than a few turns. Because of that, I decided to have her beat the first three Arena dudes while she was still at Level 9.

And then had her Repair her Return Staff to full. Seems an obvious move, but I'm forgetful enough that this caused me to have to re-record at least 27 minutes of footage >_> ...

Also, here's a new strat. Turns out, we actually ARE going to be training Azel after all! So here's Dew giving Azel the maximum amount of gold he can carry :haw:!

Now then, Fury buys some stuff and flies to rescue the northwestern villages...

And now for a little Talk!

Geez, you’re really the friendly type.

Look, I’m busy. If you don’t need me, I’m leaving.

Hold on. I got my hands on something you might be interested in.

I don’t need any souvenirs. Give it to one of the other girls.

Heheh… So you’ve no use for this either?

Whoa! Where did you get that!?

The infamous Hero Sword? So I take it you’ve heard of them before.

Ergh, Lex? I'm pretty sure you mean the famous Hero Sword? “Infamous” implies that it has a BAD reputation, not a good one :colbert:.

This is… a Hero Sword!? It’s fantastic!

You like it, huh? It’s yours. Take it.

Ah, wait a sec! Lex!

(Lex leaves)

Lex…

Hooray, new Hero Sword for Sigurd!

Oh c,mon, like you REALLY thought I was gonna waste it on Aira :colbert:. Oh, btw, Holyn has a convo with her too.

Aaaand he starts off by immediately getting her name wrong. Smooth move buddy, smooth move.

Why me? You should be using this.

I’ve a feeling things are going to get nasty here soon. Besides, anyone who fights like you could use a couple extra swords. Keep yourself well protected. I may not always be here to defend you.

Holyn, thank you. I’ll cherish this sword!

Rather interesting dynamic there to compare to Lex x Aira. Evidently she feels more comfortable around him, a fellow Isaachian, than she does around Lex, a guy from the nation that just subdued her home country. I know he hasn't actually told her about his heritage yet, but most likely she could at least tell by his appearance that he's her same race. Just an interesting thought I had.

And now the plan. Snag a quick level for Ethlin,

Assemble a whole bunch of guys while leaving a space between Aira and Ethlin, which'll leave room for Sylvia...

To refresh them both. And with that done, Ethlin...

Can warp Aira back, that way she...

Can sell her Hero Sword to Sigurd, who will then turn it into yet ANOTHER 100 Kill weapon.

And that's the turn. Can our interpred heroes stomp King Shagaal down before it's too late? Will we be able to avoid conflict with Eltshan? Or will fate finally succeed in tearing down their friendship once and for all? Find out, NEXT TIME, on Let's Max Rank FE4! Have a nice day, and God bless you!

AAAA RANKED RUN STATS

Time Taken This Update: ~31 minutes, and 30 seconds.

Total Time Elapsed Over the Run: ~6 hours, 29 minutes and 36 seconds.

Turns Taken This Update: 1 Turn

Total Turns Elapsed Over The Run: 107 Turns

Levels Gained This Update: 27 Levels (Ethlin gained 3, Fin gained 4)

Total Levels Gained: 221 Levels

Things I Regret on This Section: I regret wasting something like 12 minutes rigging Aideen a win against Keimos, when it ultimately didn't end up doing much for Jamka anyway. And I could have manipulated Dew's Gold a bit better so that Aira got just 18,000G instead of 22,470G.

Total Things I Regret: In the Prologue, I regret the fact that Noish had to hang back as I rigged levels for Sigurd in the Prologue.

In Chapter 1, I should've brought Midir to guarantee that Kinbois's men would be taken down without issue.

On Chapter 2, I regret the fact that Ardan built up so many love points with Aira even though that pairing's been written out of the route, I regret making that positioning mistake with Fin, and I wish I hadn't made that careless mistake with Sigurd attacking that guard near Boldo (even if it did end up working out). I regret deciding to not just get Deirdre to Level 30 by the end of Chapter 2. I regret wasting something like 12 minutes rigging Aideen a win against Keimos, when it ultimately didn't end up doing much for Jamka anyway. I regret wasting something like 12 minutes rigging Aideen a win against Keimos, when it ultimately didn't end up doing much for Jamka anyway. And I could have manipulated Dew's Gold a bit better so that Aira got just 18,000G instead of 22,470G.

On Chapter 3, I regret not having Lachesis beat up the first two Arena opponents. I ended up having to shark in 2500G for her in Chapter 4 to show what I wanted to show.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 6, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hello fellow conquistadors. Welcome to Let's Max Rank FE4! Last time, King Shagaal waged war on us yet again, and we just got done with our first turn.

Now let's see what happens on Enemy Phase...

Alright...I guess the armor knights were the only guys who felt like doing anything (no seriously, those five guys were the only ones who actually did anything).

Yes, pirates can actually walk on Oceans, as it turns out. Thing is though, they can only go 1 square per turn unless there happens to be land within 2 squares of where they started. Because of that, it honestly doesn't help them that much.

And there we go. Boy, that sure was a doozy of an enemy phase. I don't know HOW I'm going to respond to that!

No seriously, that's literal all that happened. The game gives you so much time to prepare for everything in this Chapter that AAAA Ranking really is the only way to squeeze much challenge from most of this Chapter. Also, here's a trick.

Have Aideen run through the Arena, get killed by someone, and bam, instant Live Staff EXP for Deirdre.

And there you have it. She's ALLL ready to do all the Warping she needs! Not that we're doing that this update, but still.

Anyways, that's it for Aideen as far as Chapter 3 combat goes. Because now, we've got to get Azel set up like so...

Yeah, you all know how I said way back when that Azel wouldn't be worth bothering with? Well, that's changed. I've found an amazing new strat in Chapter 5, one that made it so that I DON'T have to grind Ardan up in this Chapter like I thought I would. As a result, Azel is now free to be babied as much as he needs to be. Ain't that somethin' :daw:?

Now, speaking of training up the lightweights...

Fin's still got some unfinished business with Keller, so...

There we go. 100% Evade Boost w/Prayer = Total domination!

Course, then he just gets murdered by Torton, who's...basically just Keller with a Hero Axe. So, we're gonna have to rig a Prayer for him too.

I would've preferred it if Fin had been able to keep the Elite Ring, but, well, that's life. Besides, he'll still hit Level 30 by the time the game ends if I calculated things right, so, it's no skin off my nose.

More general positioning exhibited here, as well as more staff grinding for Ethlin (btw, just assume I'm doing that twice very turn. I don't like making the updates longer than they need to be).

Also, Lex heads up here in order to kill...

This guy here on Enemy Phase. Sigurd, being the manly man that he is, doesn't need to worry about these guys. However, Ethlin is not so lucky, so Lex is going to be clearing the way for her.

Back to Sigurd though, MAKE ABSOLUTE SURE that you move him to THIS EXACT SPOT on Turn 2! If you don't, you're going to lose a turn! Just letting you all know!

And this'd be the end of my Player Phase, with all of these guys heading off to rescue their respective villages.

Will this Enemy Phase be more eventful than the last one?

Well, one of the Agustrians actually attacked someone this time, so that's something.

Course, then the Nomads decide to just do nothing, since they're programmed to not move until Turn 3. But hey, progess!

Then the Agustrians end their turn by having the armor knights pester Beo and Alec. Fortunately, they don't really do much damage.

Then, after the Orgahill pirates run around a bit more, we now come back to Player Phase!

First off, both our side groups do the same thing they did last turn....

Sylvia and Ethlin keep doing their thang.

And Deirdre achieves her last level!

Level Cap Reached, +1 HP, +1 Str!

Yeah, kind of an empty level. But then, Deirdre's not seeing any combat anyway, so we still come out ahead.

Anyway, Midir's headed off to assist Ethlin in Returning some more. In fact, just assume that any mounted unit who gets Returned to the castle is going to immediately come running after Ethlin again, alright guys? Got it?

Good. Now for the most important stuff.

These nomads are going to attack now, so Lex has gotta get out of the way while still being in range of all of the armors.

And then Sigurd has to move to this EXACT spot here, with the Light Sword equipped. That'll fry everyone but the Nomad Captain, and Sigurd won't even have to waste a turn.

Now we gotta be careful about this guy's attack range. Dude has anywhere from 28 Attack to 30 depending on what weapon he's using, so he's gonna do a metric ton of damage to Ethlin and Sylvia if we let him.

So as irritating as it is, I had to hold both of the women back, just for this turn.

Alright, let's see what happens.

Well, Lex manages to wipe out the two remaining Armors...

However, that Captain is going to be something of a nuisance if Lex doesn't succeed in killing him next turn. Fortunately for us though...

The nomads...

Don't have quite the same luck.

Oh, also, these guys start moving.

What, you didn't know they were there? Cuz yeah, they totally are :rolleyes:.

Man, this Chapter...

I know if I can handle this much excitement...

I mean, it's just so hard...

I don't know HOW I'm going to keep avoiding these guys!

Zyne, Philip, Voltz, Clement, and all those other, officially trained soldiers who made up the military elite of Agustria?

Pushovers, all of em'.

I mean come on, how can anyone possibly compare to these champions?

+1 HP, +1 Str, +1 Def!

It just can't be done!

Why, if I don't watch out, these guys could take me out at a moments notice!

:keke:

Alright, so being serious again, Sigurd...doesn't NEED to be in this exact spot...but it's the only one where he's going to be guaranteed to reach Jacoban on the next turn.

And after he's done n' dusted, Ethlin'll want to be in this exact spot here in order to warp Sigurd back. And yes, she's safe from enemy fire.

Speaking of which...

This is why it was so important to move Sigurd in all of the exact ways I moved him. If he stands in this specific spot on Turn 4, it will force the mage to expose Jacoban by doing what he did in this screenshot. The mages here are programmed to wait until the physical attackers have already taken their turn. However, they're also programmed to attack from 2 Range instead of 1 Range, and furthermore, none of the enemies in this game are allowed to Wait directly in front of their own castles. What this means, then, is that this mage was forced to abandon his post, exposing Jacoban in the process.

It's a pretty neat trick that I found in a TAS I found on Nico Nico...but, there is a caveat to it. Sigurd only BARELY has enough Move to take advantage of this by Turn 4, even provided that he uses the Roads optimally. That's why it was important for me to be so exact in how I moved him. For that matter, it's also why he needed that Hero Sword immediately. It's the only way he can be guaranteed to kill both the armors and Jacoban

Btw, here's why I needed to have Lex take out the trash earlier. Just so you know ;) .

OH HAI AGUSTRIANS!

Bye!

Well ok, to be fair, Cuan has to move this guy in order to move to this spot here. There's gonna be a whole squad of Javelin throwing horsemen coming out of Silvail next turn, so Cuan's gonna be there to soften em' up a little with his own ranged capabilities.

And then Alec finally gets rid of the other northeast pirate. There'll be more next update, but none of them will be able to touch anymore villages, so that's nice :).

Anyway, since ol' Beo has nothing better to do, how about we get him some social interaction?

Oh hai Filat. How are you today?

I’m much obliged to ya. Please accept this magical staff on my behalf. It’s called the Rest Staff. It can heal any bouts of Sleep or Silence. I’m sure it’ll be of use to ya.

Ergh, I'm fairly sure you meant to say “Restore Staff”...but eh, close enough. And yes, I'll take the money thank you :) !

Speaking of money, Fury's already putting that Thief Sword to good use. Turns out, pirates are fricken LOADED in this game, and there's gonna be a lot more for Fury to steal from in the immediate future!

Alright Jacoban, you ready to rumble?

Ergh, I'd tell you off for getting my name wrong...

But something tells me that's not gonna matter all that much. Oh, by the way, what was that you said at the beginning? “Anyone that gets in my face is gettin’ my Thunder Sword”?

Welp, ya got me there. Truly your prophetic gifts were without peer.

Now then, let's see that dialogue.

Sigurd: Eltshan’s Cross Knights are all that’s left of Agustria’s military might… If they’d just lower their swords, this’d all be over with.

But as Sigurd says that...

Yeesh, you're gonna follow that “!?” up with a period!? Is that the way you want to write that? Interesting choice of grammar I'd say.

Music change...

Claude: Someone murdered Prince Kurth while he was returning from the Isaac campaign.

Sigurd: Somebody what!? Who would do such a thing?

Claude: Well, Lord Bryon was always seen at Prince Kurth’s side. But since the murder, he’s disappeared. I hate to say this, but…

Oh no, don't you dare...

Claude: There’s suspicion that your father committed the murder.

Well...shoot. That's uh, definitely a turn for the worse.

Sigurd: What!? That’s inconceivable!

Claude: There are all kinds of nasty rumours cropping up in Grandbell. The most prevalent one is that you and Lord Bryon conspired to kill the prince. His Majesty’s became so overwhelmed by it all that he’s fallen terribly ill.

Remember, this guy's old. The opening made a point of that, so he's not exactly equipped for handling both this AND the death of his son :( ...

Sigurd: Kurth confided in my father for everything. What could my father gain from his death!? What about the two dukes who opposed the prince, Reptor and Langbart? I’d suspect them.

Claude: I also thought so, but there’s no evidence on either one of them. And the Reptor faction currently has control of the Royal Court.

Sigurd: How about His Majesty’s aide, Lord Alvis? What does he make of all of this?

Claude: I’m not sure. I don’t think he’s bitter towards you, but I can’t say he’s on your side either.

Plus, there's the fact that Manfloy's gonna try and get him to have a son with Deirdre. That might make things awkward too.

Sigurd: Is that right? Geez… my poor father. Aagh! I wish I could go straight home, but I have orders from His Majesty to guard this area. Claude, what should I do?

Claude: I’m currently on my way to Blagi Tower. It’s on the island just northwest of here. I’m of Blagi descent. If I pray at our holy tower, the truth will be revealed to me. I plan to tell His Majesty all my findings. Sir Sigurd, you’ve nothing to worry about.

AND THEN A GIRL SHOWS UP!!

Yeah Claude, enough of your jabberin'. Let's talk about something IMPORTANT for a change :colbert:.

Sigurd: …But you’re Duke Reptor’s daughter, right?

Tiltyu: Look, all that fightin’ stuff’s beyond me. Besides, I’m in love with the priest, you see!

Oddly enough, this really isn't something that's going to be important at any time later. She's the daughter of one of the main antagonists and yet...nobody really seems to make anything of it. No suspicions of what she might be up to, no apprehension about her hanging around with us...heck, they don't even take the time to talk to her about what she may or may not know. Kind of weird, that.

Claude: I hope we can return to the homeland together.

Sigurd: Me too, Claude. Thank you so much for everything!

And there we go...boy, that sure was a lot to have happen. Anyways though, we're going to want to...

Oh, wait, hold on. Looks like there's more.

Deirdre: That’s why I need ask you to watch over him.

Shanan: No way! I can’t look after a baby all by myself.

Deirdre: Please… I’ll be right back. Would you just do this for me, Shanan? Please?

Shanan: Yeah… alright. Whatever, I’ll do it. But you better be back quick!

Deirdre: Thank you, Shanan. Celice, I’m sorry, babe. Mummy’ll be right back, ‘k?

Well, alright. I'd tell her “it's dangerous to go alone”, but, I suppose Sigurd's gonna need the support of his loving wife if he's going to...

….OH!! Ergh, hi Manfloy...:stonklol:

Deirdre: Huh? Who are you? And how do you know my mother’s name?

Manfloy: Heh heh heh… Prepare for your rebirth. Once we erase all your memories, we shall introduce you to your new husband. There’s no use fighting it. This is destined to be.

:gonk:

Deirdre: W, what… are you d-d-doing? St, stop it!! Aghhh… S, Sig… urd…

And that's...uh...well uh...yeah. That happened.

So ergh, I guess we just gotta get Sigurd warped back home so he can be ready for action.

And then we can do some item maintenance/movement with Ethlin as well. Also...

Holyn needs to money too, so I had Aideen send him on over to Madino, that way he can get some Gold at one of the villages. And finally...

Lachesis is going to have a job to do next update, so I had her go northwest as far as she can. Alright, next Enemy Phase...let's see what happens.

Oh, great, it's this guy again. The guy was supposed to be at Madino, but evidently he managed to escape after we had taken out Jacoban. I don't know how, but somehow he did.

Shagaal: Aha! You are teaming up with the enemy to overthrow Agustria!

Eltshan: Your Majesty! How could you say that!?

Shagaal: You got a problem with that? My father’d be so disappointed with you. A true knight doesn’t sneak around stalling for time!

Eltshan: You’re not even listening to me! Look, I… hmph. Okay, I’ll get my men ready. I’ll let you know I’m proud to be a Holy Knight of Agustria. If I’m to die, I’ll die fighting. Your Majesty, please watch over Silvail while I’m gone.

Eltshan: I cannot begin to tell you what your years of loyalty has meant to me… This battle will determine the fate of our nation. Give it all you’ve got. Cross Knights, ATTACK!!

Come on man, we just lost Deirdre. Don't make us lose YOU too...

Shagaal: I’m taking command here! The rest of you strengthen your defense of the castle!

Man, poor Sigurd just can't catch a break today, can he?

Can Sigurd find the strength to carry on in the face of the enormous cataclysms coming his way? Will Deirdre be ok? And will Alvis cast his lot in on the side of justice? Or will he turn out to be as cold and hard as he appears? Will Manfloy and Shagaal ever be punished for their atrocities? And how are we going to deal with this situation with Eltshan? Find out, on the next EXPLOSIVE episodes, of Let's Max Rank FE4!

This is Fionordequester, signing out. God bless you all, and here's to hoping you have a better day than Sigurd's having right now, because holy cow did things go downhill this update :stare: ...

AAAA RANKED RUN STATS

Time Taken This Update: ~22 minutes, and 8 seconds.

Total Time Elapsed Over the Run: ~6 hours, 51 minutes and 44 seconds.

Turns Taken This Update: 4 Turns

Total Turns Elapsed Over The Run: 111 Turns

Levels Gained This Update: 7 Levels (Ethlin gained 4, Aideen gained 1)

Total Levels Gained: 228 Levels

On Chapter 3, I regret not having Lachesis beat up the first two Arena opponents. I ended up having to shark in 2500G for her in Chapter 4 to show what I wanted to show. But most importantly, I shouldn't have sold Deirdre's Aura tome! I'll bet she TOTALLY could've kicked Manfloy's butt, if ONLY I hadn't taken that away :gonk: !!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 6, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

One of these days guys...I'll make another update one of these days ;) ...

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Don't worry, The level of planning going into this takes time. You have this goons support.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Fionordequester posted:

One of these days guys...I'll make another update one of these days ;) ...

Don't worry about it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Don't worry.

Also, I thought that Sigurd's kid was named Seliph, not Celice. Alternate translation?

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Junpei posted:

Don't worry.

Also, I thought that Sigurd's kid was named Seliph, not Celice. Alternate translation?

The translation being used here predates Awakening; a LOT of names you'll see here are different from ones you saw in Awakening. Aside from Celice -> Seliph, there's Levin -> Lewyn, Lachesis -> Raquesis, Jamka -> Jamke, Cuan -> Quan, Ethlin -> Ethlyn, Fin -> Finn, Ardan -> Arden, Alvis -> Arvis and Aira -> Ayra. And that's just people we've seen up to this point.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

So for reference, I've been thinking about what's been holding me back from doing another update, despite all the free time I've been having. Part of it is that, for all the satisfaction I get from the end product, the in-between work involves a lot of hours of working in relative solitude, coming up with commentary, jokes, screenshot editing, strategies, and all that. Which is fine; I'm still going to finish this LP one day, and I'm going to do it because I know you all enjoy it.

But in the meantime, I just want you to know; I am perfectly ok with you guys talking about whatever Fire Emblem related things you want, even if it's not in regards to this specific game. Watching people enjoy themself in my threads (whether it's Dragon Quest, 7th Saga, or this one) is the primary reason for why I keep on making updates; otherwise, I'd content myself with just playing them rather than doing any kind of project on them.

So thank you for your support, and feel free to have fun guys; hard work is pointless unless you or someone else takes pleasure in the fruits of it, and I always love reading reading the comments :) . And, if anyone wishes to join as a co-commentator or anything, feel free to ask!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 26, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hello fellow brothers-in-arms! Welcome to Let's Max Rank FE4! Last time...well, a lot of stuff happened actually. We conquered Madino, Sigurd's wife got kidnapped, he AND his father are now being accused of murder...and now one of his very best friends, Eltshan, is throwing himself onto the chopping block. Can Sigurd's day POSSIBLY get any worse? Find out, TODAY!

Well, I dunno, but Cuan at least is doing well. But...dang, 1 Damage? How weak are these guys?! And, weren't they pretty strong in Chapter 1? Are these not the same guys, or...

Oh! Huh, they HAVE gotten weaker, haven't they? Not by a lot, sure, but now I just wonder if Eltshan himself has gotten any...

DAAAAANGG DUDE!! HOLY COW, HAVE YOU BEEN WORKING OUT?!? Man, I guess. Between getting himself kidnapped, and having his own best friend subjugate his country, the guy must've decided to start training like an ANIMAL since we saw him last. That, or he has the same Frost Demon genes that Lachesis has, I dunno. Craziness I tell ya...:shrug:

Oh, and those FIVE Leadership stars he's got? That means he gives a passive 40% boost to Evasion and Hit to everyone within three squares of him, even himself. So actually, his “156 Hit” and “37 Evade” turns into “196 Hit” and “77 Evade”. And if all THAT wasn't bad enough...

You've also got a whole squad of Javelin wielding horse riders to deal with. Canto + 9 Move + Range Advantage is just about impossible for even the studliest of foot units to deal with. So, you have to wittle them down slowly but surely with guys like Alec, Levin, or whoever else you have on hand. Then, once you've done away with all of his men, then you can find a way to neutralize Eltshan (and there IS a special way of neutralizing him) once you've cleared the way. So basically, Eltshan isn't someone you're supposed to be able to beat in a head to head fight. You're expected to use strategy to beat him and his men. You have to find a way to slowly pick off his men one by one, exposing your strongest ranged fighters to as many men as they can handle without dying.

Or, you can take advantage of a quirk in their A.I., and draw them AWAY from the path to Silvail. Then, once you've done that...

You can have Sigurd and Co. sneak in like ninjas, knock Shagaal off his throne, seize his castle, and then automatically get rid of Eltshan and everyone else that way. This is what's employed in 0% growth runs because of the way the Cross Knights are programmed.

Unlike most enemy groups, who are designed to capture your castles above all else, THESE guys are programmed only to go after the nearest playable character on the map, even if they happen to be in the exact opposite direction. The only way these guys will ever try to capture your castle is if one of them just HAPPENS to be in range of it on their next phase. Other than that, you're safe.

So by either exploiting a quirk in the A.I., or by putting your masterful strategic prowess to work, you can overcome this...INCREDIBLE challenge. You can go forth into the rest of the game, wearing your victory as a badge of honor. You fought one of the game's hardest boss groups, and lived. If you are skilled, are good enough, and DETERMINED enough, you can pull all this off and more...

:mmmhmm: :mmmhmm: :mmmhmm:

Orrrrrrr you could just shove a bunch of EXP into Cuan and Sigurd, give em a 1-2 Weapon, and watch them just beat the snot out of almost everyone, all while no-selling every attack that comes there way. Cuz you know, that's an option too :allears:.

A NOTE FROM OUR SPONSORS: Due to an undesirably high re-run/original content ratio, the network has been seeking to enhance it's productivity. To this end, we have ceased our support of the Level Up Screen channels in favor of a more streamlined experience. All total level ups will be pushed back to the END of the program instead. We apologize for the inconvenience; now back to the show.

It's rather a good thing we got Cuan to em' when we did; his Defense is now EXACTLY equal to the Cross Knights Attack w/Javelin. That would normally mean that they'd just ignore him; but since Cuan got that point of Defense in the MIDDLE of the EP (Enemy Phase), rather than before it started, the A.I hasn't really caught on yet. I love A.I exploits :allears: ...

Now let's get started :)

:D

General movement Feng Shui for both Fury and Cuan. I don't want Fury to aggro the Cross Knights, and Cuan's kind of run out of things to do now that Elthan's minions are too afraid to fight him. Speaking of minions, wanna see how Cuan's apprentice is doing?

OH YEAH!! Now Fin has all the Gold and EXP that he's going to be needing for the future. He's going to be gone by the end of this Chapter, and he won't be returning until Chapter 7. Once he does, I intend to get him started off right!

In the meantime though, we got other scrubs who need a kick starter, like Azel here.

And as long as we're doing that, we may as well cover his travel expenses for him.

Do not be fooled by this screenshot; Holyn's getting both villages, not Azel. The latter's just here to cut his teeth on the roaving bandits here ;).

Meanwhile, Ethlin sends Sylvia back to Agusty with this cool new visual image I just thought of!

Ethlin's ALSO leaving at the end of the Chapter, and we got more Return bots to warp back before she hits Level 30; best get a move on there I'd say. Meanwhile, back at home base...

Lachesis actually has a conversation that we can activate with Eltshan, though I won't spoil what the two say to each other. Until then, just know that this is the time where she ought to be headed toward him.

As for Sigurd, he also need to get a move on. But first:

A quick stint into the Arena just for this one fight. That way, we refill his HP while not giving him too much EXP; otherwise, his Defense will ALSO grow too high for the A.I to want to bother with him.

And off they go, with the help of our dear LLLAAADY SYLLLVIAAA!

Speaking of ladies, we're building up love points here. Now let's get to the...

...action...

Dang, “conservation of Ninjitsu” really hit the Cross Knights hard, didn't it? Now let's get started with OUR tur-....

!!!

Sigurd: I still have every intention of handing over Agusty. Please, I just need a little more time!

Eltshan: ...Sigurd, I've heard enough. It's just you and I on the battlefield now. Two knights fighting with grace and honour. But I'm not about to fall with the Mistoltin at my side...'Til death!

For as much as I harp on Eltshan's stupidity and obstinancy, I do like the little ellipses at the beginning of the sentence. It's like he KNOWS that Sigurd's going to honor his word if Shagaal'd just let him, and that fighting him is stupid. It is one of those things that bothers me about what seems to be (or at least, was) the Japanese understanding of “honor”; that unswerving devotion to “honor” that seems to be present in a lot of these kinds of fictional characters. The intent is probably to make the audience go “aww, look at how wonderful this man is”...

However, TO ME, it just strikes me as a convenient way to avoid having to take responsibility for your actions, and an easy excuse for not having to question what it means to be a knight. “Because my lord told me so” seems like a pretty flimsy excuse for cutting down your own childhood friend, and I say that as someone who has made my devotion to Jesus Christ the centerpiece of my life.

Of course, that's my own limited outlook on the situation, as someone who's never even been to Japan before, and relies almost exclusively on 3rd-hand knowledge on what the beliefs of their general population are. Anyway...Cuan's got Holy Blood in him...and hey, wasn't he ALSO a part of that pact that Sigurd and Eltshan made with each other? Yeah, they were ALL best buds back in the day; I wonder if Eltshan has anything to say to him?

Eltshan: If you don't wish to become it's prey, then don't come anywhere near me...

Apparently not...missed opportunity, that. Oh well, let's just see how well-

AYE BASURA!! WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?!? WWOOOWWWWW!!! HAVE MERCY, HAVE MERCY!!

No, don't go, DON'T GO! I neeed you-

Eltshan: As knights, however, this is our fate. There is nothing that either of us can do about it.

Sigurd: W, wait! Eltshan!!

Yeah, this guy...is not a pushover. Seriously, he's literally got a 38% chance of critting anyone he fights; with how this game's crits work, coupled with that 52 Attack, he basically has the touch of death. And unlike Raiden, Sigurd has not been lucky enough to get himself a super-awesome sword to counter that.

Well...actually he COULD win if he's got the Hero Sword, and has hit his Strength cap. Let Eltshan be the first one to attack him, and hope that Sigurd can survive long enough to land at least three shots on him. Then, you might, MIGHT be able to kill him on Player Phase; or, Sigurd could just whiff an attack and get counter-killed in return. That's what happens when you need to land 5 out of 6 attacks on a 77% hit chance. And if you do manage it, you get this conversation in the next turn.

Oifaye: We must stay focused on King Eltshan's of returning peace to Agustria.

That's the game-over theme playing, btw. That same track plays when Sigurd dies, so...yeah; you could say a part of him died right there. We don't want that so, let's try another tact...

Let's see if Lachesis can talk some sense into him, shall we?

“I don't know what the heck I was doing with SIGURD'S army for 9 months, but yeah, stop this senseless violence!”

Lachesis: You can't fight Sir Sigurd! Is betraying one's friends a part of the honour of being a knight!? Eltshan, please! (sob..) Trust him! Can't you hold off your attack just a little bit longer?

Eltshan: Lachesis.....I don't want to see you cry, but I have no other way out of this! If Shagaal is defeated, Agustria will fall as well.

Lachesis: That's not true! If Shagaal withdrew his troops, Sir Sigurd would also back out of this. Please, talk with King Shagaal. He can't ignore the commander of the Cross Knights.

Eltshan: ...Okay...I'll give it one more shot. I'd rather risk my life for my friend than this crazy war. That is the way of the knight. Lachesis, this sword is for you.

Lachesis: Isn't this the Earth Sword!? Eltshan, I can't take this from you!

Eltshan: Lachesis, keep it as a memento from me...just in case. Now you be careful!

:sigh:...

Yeah. Another interesting thing I'd like to note about the whole honor thing; it actually seems like Japan itself is wrestling with that exact topic. It seems to me that, as the years have gone by, there have been more and more fictional characters like Tidus, Lachesis, and Naruto; characters who's whole thing seems to be rejecting the status quo. They all seem to invariably be immature and loudmouthed; and yet, they still end up getting to be the main character.

Heck, maybe that's why a lot of JRPG's also tend to use ridiculously young teenagers to make up the bulk of their main cast, rather than guys like Kenshiro (main character of “Fist of the North Star”). I suspect that that's all a part of a larger cultural shift that's going on in Japan, just like what the U.S. had from the 50's until now...

But again, I'm no expert. So if anyone happens to know a lot about Japan, I'd be absolutely delighted to hear your thoughts on that. Now back to the game...

Can Eltshan manage to make it outta this war with his life?!

Eltshan: You will get Agusty back someday. I'm certain of it.

Shagaal: Elsthan, you imbecile! Now what are you babbling about!? I knew it! You ARE in cahoots with the enemy! Somebody! Seize this traitor! Off with his head! We'll make an example out of him!

Nope, guess not :cripes: ...

Eltshan: I should've known this wouldn't go well. This will mark the end of Agustria too I'm afraid...

Shagaal: You contriving little fool! Take his head off right here!

Eltshan: Lachesis...

Aaand he...Just kind of stands there and lets it happen, I guess. I mean, Eltshan's THE commander of THE most powerful military branch in the ENTIRE NATION, and even wields a holy weapon... but I guess he just wasn't feeling it this time.

Oh well. I guess Camus archetypes just don't have a lot of luck in this series :( … Anyway, the Earth Sword is actually a fairly cool, if situational, weapon. It casts the Resire spell from 2 Range, a 14MT, 12 WT spell that will drain HP from whoever it hits. When you hit someone for 29 Damage, you'll be healed by that same amount! The only thing is, this sword costs 10,000G for only 10 uses; you're essentially throwing 1000G away for every time you hit someone with it.

Sadly, none of Eltshan's other cronies are doing any better, nor are they any smarter than their commander. Even that lone straggler will still attack us, so he's going down next turn.

I wonder if the Villagers have anything to say about this...

Oh yeah, the Orgahil Pirates. Those guys are certainly...a thing.

/And to think we trusted that leader of theirs, Brigid whats-her-face!

Some of you have probably forgot who Brigid was, so I'll help you out there. Brigid was this girl here...

Brigid: Dobarl, enough! I won’t allow any such nonsense! I’ve got a creed to uphold, and pilfering is no part of it. We Orgahill Pirates are known for giving to the poor, not taking from them!

So she's basically a female Jamka. Will she join our side at some point, or will she fall on her sword like Eltshan did? Who knows?

For now though, we're gonna help make life easier for both her and us by getting Dew over here to steal some Gold.

Beo's not taking any from the village over there by the way; we're saving that for Levin.

Alright, one last village! Let's see what they have to say!

Every war, one side always ends up hirin' 'em. They's the most ruthless killin' machine 'round...like a pack of hyenas feastin' on a fresh kill.

:stare:

Wow, guess we better watch out for THOSE gu-

Oh, ok. Lil' too late for THAT I guess; though I do wonder why Shagaal waited until NOW to pull this...

Shagaal: Hmph. Maybe these mercenaries I hired will do more for me than those other imbeciles. Alright. You know what to do!

Yes, “imbeciles”; like the fricken holy weapon user you had on your side, the SAME guy who ALSO happened to be the military commander of the strongest military branch in your entire country...or, you know, those OTHER TWO MERCENARIES YOU HIRED?!? Voltz and Jacoban?!?

This guy is one of THE stupidest Fire Emblem villains in the entire franchise; that's just all there is to it.

Oh well. At least Shagaal's employing another unit type; a FLYING one no less!

Papilion: Set your sights on Grandbell's army, and give it to 'em as severely as you please. Let the name of Thracia echo across the land!

And here they come; let's hope they're not as pathetic as Fury's band was in Chapter 2, NEXT TIME, on let's Max Rank Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War! Can Sigurd and co. save Agustria from an untimely end? Or has it's fate been sealed already? Have a nice day, and God bless you all! The next update should come tomorrow!

AAAA RANKED RUN STATS

Time Taken This Update: ~14 minutes, and 10 seconds.

Total Time Elapsed Over the Run: ~7 hours, 5 minutes and 54 seconds.

Turns Taken This Update: 3 Turns

Total Turns Elapsed Over The Run: 114 Turns

Levels Gained This Update:8 Levels (Sylvia's Dancing for Ethlin, so Ethlin's getting lots of levels)

Total Levels Gained: 236 Levels

On Chapter 2, I regret the fact that Ardan built up so many love points with Aira even though that pairing's been written out of the route, I regret making that positioning mistake with Fin, and I wish I hadn't made that careless mistake with Sigurd attacking that guard near Boldo (even if it did end up working out). I regret deciding to not just get Deirdre to Level 30 by the end of Chapter 2. I regret wasting something like 12 minutes rigging Aideen a win against Keimos, when it ultimately didn't end up doing much for Jamka anyway. And I could have manipulated Dew's Gold a bit better so that Aira got just 18,000G instead of 22,470G.

On Chapter 3, I regret not having Lachesis beat up the first two Arena opponents. I ended up having to shark in 2500G for her in Chapter 4 to show what I wanted to show. But most importantly, I shouldn't have sold Deirdre's Aura tome! I'll bet she TOTALLY could've kicked Manfloy's butt, if ONLY I hadn't taken that away :gonk: !!

Level 25-26: 58 > 59 HP, 25 Str, 2 (7) Magic, 22 Skl, 20 Spd, 15 Lck, 17 (22) Def, 4 (9) Res!

Level 21-22: 52 > 53 HP, 23 Str, 1 Mag, 17 Skl, 15 > 16 Spd, 6 Lck, 22 > 23 Def, 3 Res!

Level 13-14: 40 > 41 HP, 13 Str, 1 Mag, 14 Skl, 13 Spd, 15 Lck, 9 Def, 0 > 1 Res!

Level 15-18: 38 > 40 HP, 7 Str, 10 > 11 Mag, 15 Skl, 16 > 17 Spd, 9 > 10 Lck, 5 > 7 Def, 8 Res!

Level 21-23: 40 > 42 HP, 4 Str, 23 Mag, 14 > 15 Skl, 14 Spd, 20 Lck, 4 > 5 Def, 12 Res!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 6, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

Yeah, he's got some pretty insane growths here. In five levels, he got +5 hp, +7 str, +3 skl, +5 spd, +7 luck, +9 def and +5res. Dude must have basically started with 0s in everything but hp and magic.

I should also note that my first time playing this I totally loving blanked on Lachesis and had to actually fight him square. It, ah...took a few tries. Quite a few.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

theshim posted:

Yeah, he's got some pretty insane growths here. In five levels, he got +5 hp, +7 str, +3 skl, +5 spd, +7 luck, +9 def and +5res. Dude must have basically started with 0s in everything but hp and magic.

I should also note that my first time playing this I totally loving blanked on Lachesis and had to actually fight him square. It, ah...took a few tries. Quite a few.

Heh heh, well, to be fair, Lachesis HAS been spending her entire time with Grandbell instead of Agusty, apparently. It's reasonable to think that Senator Eltshan there may have just hardened his heart towards her at that point :cheeky: .

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
It's good to see this back! I know this doesn't generate a whole lot of discussion, but it's still an LP I greatly enjoy and look forward to reading! It's always hilarious to me just how imbalanced this game is, but it still makes it work somehow. It really sells you on just how powerful some of these characters are, seeing as several are pretty much one-(wo)man armies unto themselves.

It's made me ponder, from time to time, how an FE would work if it represented the player characters as actually leading groups of footsoldiers to battle, and a character's stats representing not only their own personal prowess but an abstraction of the force they're leading as well. It'd certainly make the epic conflicts in this FE in particular make a bit more sense. Rather than a dozen and a half of people running around conquering entire nations (whose armies consist of a good several dozen troops), Sigurd is actually leading a troupe of knights and soldiers into every clash, while Azel heads up a small cabal of mages, etc. There's probably a game or two out there that try to do something like this, but they elude me as of yet.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yggdra Union does exactly that. Each unit when the battle starts is shown as a small squad.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

IthilionTheBrave posted:

It's good to see this back! I know this doesn't generate a whole lot of discussion, but it's still an LP I greatly enjoy and look forward to reading! It's always hilarious to me just how imbalanced this game is, but it still makes it work somehow. It really sells you on just how powerful some of these characters are, seeing as several are pretty much one-(wo)man armies unto themselves.

Lol.

IthilionTheBrave posted:

It's made me ponder, from time to time, how an FE would work if it represented the player characters as actually leading groups of footsoldiers to battle, and a character's stats representing not only their own personal prowess but an abstraction of the force they're leading as well. It'd certainly make the epic conflicts in this FE in particular make a bit more sense. Rather than a dozen and a half of people running around conquering entire nations (whose armies consist of a good several dozen troops), Sigurd is actually leading a troupe of knights and soldiers into every clash, while Azel heads up a small cabal of mages, etc. There's probably a game or two out there that try to do something like this, but they elude me as of yet.

Actually, Destiny of the Emperor did exactly that. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYPxTezFF7g

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Yggdra Union does exactly that. Each unit when the battle starts is shown as a small squad.

Even when it makes no sense (like the first battle when Yggdra is ostensibly running away by herself)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hello fellow widow makers! Welcome to another episode of Let's Play FE4! Last time, Eltshan...died...and now some long-haired nut and his boy Papilion are leading a squadron of winged dragons down upon our heads. So let's see what we can do, shall we?

For starters, Cuan kills the very last Cross Knight before heading back to Agusty; we won't be needing him for much else after this.

In other news, his wife has recently achieved Level 20, so she'll be promoting next turn. Wheee!

Levin's gonna go and get some gold.

GOLD!! GOLD FOR EVERYONE!

Whoa. Glad yeh came! I got a sword fer yeh in ‘preciation. It’s magical. We call ‘er th’ Wing Clipper. It’ll spell death fer anythin’ in th’ air. If yeh can’t use ‘er, yeh can still sell ‘er.

Nothing too useful, but it sells for a good mint.

And now all our ducks are in a row. Still not a blasted thing these guys can really do...

And another one bites the dust :cheeky:.

Oh, and guess what! This village gives a +3 Str boost to whoever visits it! Just about any of our lower tier units would have made good use of it, but I figured that it would help Fury the most. Girl relies almost exclusively on Crits, Evade, and RNG after all.

So glad to see yeh! Why’ncha help ye’self to a sip of our village’s secret formula? Go ahead… get in. Whaddya think? Feel a little power swellin’ in yeh veins? Makes work feel like kids play!

Speaking of power swelling within the veins of women...

Check out DESE guns!

A NOTE FROM OUR SPONSORS: Due to issues of time and money, our budget has been slashed. Transparency effects will NO LONGER BE USED in the making of Promotions; instead of two GIFs with Transparency enabled, our viewers will have one GIF without them. Thank you for your understanding; now back to the show.

Ethlin's much buffer now, so I had her beat up Dyuma before she coudl get higher higher leveled. No EXP goes to waste n' all that...

Nothing much else goes on with our side-characters, aside from more romantic smooching between our destined pairings so...

Sigurd murders more people on Enemy Phase. But...

Sigurd's gotten a bit dinged up on his way to Shagaal. The guy was a pansy in Chapter 2, but now...

Well, he's gotten a lot better since his time in the world of sepia-tone.

Seriously, the guy's no joke in this Chapter; Sigurd can take a hit from him, but that won't leave him with much HP left for taking care of the other guys flying toward him.

He'll just have to content himself with a stay at the village; we'll be solving his HP woes soon, but now is not the time.

Dew steals more money, and Azel gains yet more EXP. As for Levin, well...

He is also doing quite well for himself :) .

King Eltshan’s hand picked Cross Knights are second to none on the face of this continent. Actually, my boyfriend is one of ’em! Pretty cool, huh?

:stonklol:

If you already conquered Silvail before talking to her:

(sigh…) My boyfriend was killed in this cursed war. This is all Grandbell’s… No! This is all King Shagaal’s fault!!

Credit where credit is due, she's showing an admirable amount of self-restraint. Blaming the king rather than blaming the people who actually killed him shows some real strength of character :sigh: ...

Ergh, ANYWAAAAY...here's a nice Jealousy formation for those following my playthrough. Umm....

Man Sigurd, just how many guys have you killed anyway? I know you're a good guy and all, but...dude.

Not that these guys would have lived long anyway. Seriously, 23 Attack? C,mon guys, what would your captain thi-

Oh...well, ok, guess that's not really relevant then. Don't know what all the Transparency layer is in charge of, but I didn't think turning it off would make people into Peter Pan :raise: ...

But yeah, the Live Ring is one of the most important items in the entire game! One of Deirdre's only strengths as a unit was her ability to recover 4-10 HP per turn; and now, Sigurd has that exact same ability! Because he clearly wasn't broken enough already.

Speaking of broken...

Yeah, we gotta fix that. But for now, we have more story time.

Trabant: Farewell, King Shagaal...y'fool.

And when he goes...

All the other guys go bye bye as well.

Oh, ok then, let's go and make him even more broken; why not?

Yeh came fer us! Blessed be! Have a sip of this here potion, an’ yer defence’ll go up a bit.

Now, an exercise in money management.

I only need about 7 more Return Staff charges to get Ethlin to Level 30, if I let her have the Elite Ring the whole time. But, if I do that, that's going to waste a few turns; and I also know that she's guaranteed to need 5 charges for moving people around after I've conquered Silesia. So, instead of rigging the RNG so that Sigurd beats Shagaal immediately, I'm content with letting Sigurd recover to up to 30 HP while Ethlin gets to Level 28 and 50 EXP. 150 EXP is how much Ethlin gets from 5 Return Staff charges after selling the Elite Ring, so we want to get her up to that before knocking Shagaal down once and for all.

For reference, the above boss theme was what was SUPPOSED to play for the fight against Eltshan and Shagaal; so it's basically the boss theme used for especially "epic" encounters. So here are his miscellaneous battle quotes...

Regular Battle Quote:

Shagaal: What… how dare you!? I am the king of Agustria, you disrespectful maggots! Crap… I’ll make you pay for this!!

Lachesis vs. Shagaal:

Shagaal: Heheheh… you’re too late. Eltshan’s already dead.

Lachesis: It’s your fault that my brother… This is unforgivable…

And now for the MAIN EVENT!!

Now I NEED to let Shagaal attack first this time; that way, Sigurd can regenerate more health on Player Phase before finishing Shagaal off.

And now, the main event! The grudge match of the CENTURYYYYYYY!!

Sigurd: You're a despicable person!

Shagaal: Idiot! You don't know what you're talking about! Die, Sigurd!!

Yeah, this is why I decided to let Shagaal attack first; this is actually a surprisingly close match-up when Sigurd has been injured as badly as he has.

SIGURD! PUT EM' DOWN FOR THE COUNT!!

It's over...it's finally over...at long last. Farewell Shagaal...and farewell MG Rising OST :sigh: ...

Man, rough couple a' days for Sigurd, huh?

Actually, we've hit our item cap now! Can't be carrying more than 7 items, so I decided to store the Barrier Ring for now.

Now let's see if there's a light at the end of this tunnel, shall we?

Oifaye: Also, um… Shanan’s here. He must have had a good reason to leave Agusty. He says he needs to speak with you.

Sigurd: What’s up? You’re crying. What happened!?

Shanan: Deirdre left the castle and never came back. She said she was going to see you! I’m sorry! I promised you I’d watch out for her…

Sigurd: What? Deirdre left!? And what about Celice?

Shanan: He’s with me. See? He’s right here. But Deirdre…

Sigurd: Shanan, don’t worry. This isn’t your fault. I’m going to find her.

Shanan: But I shouldn’t have let her go. I’m so sorry, Sigurd!

Mission...complete?

Yeah, that's one thing the game does really well; shifting tone. Just think back to the Prologue, at how simple things used to be. It was as stock as you could get; a beautiful damsel gets kidnapped by some filthy jungle men or something; cue a veritable parade of lords and ladies kicking butt and taking names. When Sigurd won, Sigurd well and truly won; there was not hint of doom and gloom or anything when he killed Gerrard at the end. The obvious good guys are the obvious good guys, and the obvious bad guys are the obvious bad guys.

Cue Chapter 1, and it's mostly the same...except, now the Dark Sect is a thing, and it turns out those "filthy jungle men" weren't actually the true villains. They were just pawns in a far more sinister scheme. And, get this...Sigurd's having to fight some people who DON'T deserve to die; Aira's nephew is being held hostage, and Jamka's fighting only for the sake of King Imuka. But it's all good! Sigurd worked his way around those issues, and got both those people on his side! No innocent blood was spilled by his hand THAT day! Still, it would have been nice if he had been able to rescue King Imuka, even if he DID otherwise achieve everything he set out to do.

Chapter 2...ok, so now we're not just fighting bad guys; no, we're also fighting some rather nice guys too. Philip the indomitable General...the wise and intelligent Clement...the wide-eyed woman named Fury...and who could ever forget Zyne the paladin? These are all very good soldiers, and this time, only one of them is spared the edge of the sword. All the flowers are being yanked out too, not just the weeds! B-but that's alright, right guys?! I mean, we still rescued Eltshan...that's something, right? Sure there was collateral damage...but that's not so bad; none of them were actually named NPC's or anything. They were just red shirts, not someone important like Eltshan. Most gamers probably wouldn't even notice that things are starting to get a bit darker, so long as nobody they care about di-

Oh, right...Chapter 3. Guess what? A named NPC DOES die here...and his name is Eltshan. And I remind you, he was the WHOLE FRICKEN REASON WE EVER WENT THROUGH CHAPTER 2 TO BEGIN WITH!! Oh sure, technically he was under orders from Grandbell to hold Verdane, but let's not kid ourselves; he was only there for Eltshan. So what have we really accomplished here? Sigurd's right; everything we did in Agusty was for nothing!

Things are slowly getting less and less innocent as the game goes on; even the number of conversions per chapter are a reflection of this. We get:

2 former enemies to join us in Chapter 1

1 former enemy to join us in Chapter 2

0 former enemies to join us in Chapter 3.

So that's depressing. But, nothing we can do about that now, so let's see how our other guys are doing.

I put Ethlin here so she could enter the castle after this Talk.

Oh great; this isn't one of those "I have a bad feeling" moments, is it? Cuz if you end up jinxing us...hoo man, will you be sorry...

Ethlin: Here.

Cuan: Ah! The Gae Bolg? How did you get it!?

Ethlin: Your father gave it to me. He wanted me to give it to you if things got too out of hand.

Cuan: Boy, I’m going to clean up shop with this! So… why did you wait until now?

Ethlin: Well, your father told me a bit about its history. I’m sorry, Cuan…

Cuan: The legend of the Gae Bolg… It’s a sad story, but it’s nothing more than legend.

Ethlin: Yeah, but…

Cuan: Ethlin, trust me. Anyway, this battle’s about over with. We can soon return to Lenster. We have to get back to our little Altenna.

Ethlin: Yes, we do. Cuan, no matter what happens, we’ll never be apart, right?

Cuan: Huh? You must be worried about Deirdre. But we’ll find her soon.

Ethlin: Yeah, I want to think so, too. But…

Cuan: Ethlin? Why are you crying? You think something bad’s going to happen?

Ethlin: I’m just… It’s so sad to think those two may never see each other again. They were so much in love. How could such a horrible thing happen to them!?

Cuan: Ethlin…

Yeesh, drama queen much? Pfft, the Holy Weapon we got isn't even that great either...

I mean ok, 30 MT, +10 Str, and +10 Def is kinda cool...

But c,mon! 15 WT and 70 Hit? That's a direct downgrade from most basic lances, 12 WT and 80 Hit! I mean, it's still neat, but as far as Holy Weapons go...yeah, we got much better to look forward to.

Anyway, Fury's got some Arena fighting to do, and she needs to sell everything but her Steel Sword to afford the Elite Ring. It's just for wo fights though; after that, she can simply switch to the Uber Slim Sword.

But she still has to bow out after beating Dyuma (Rank 5) though; Keller is still a complete jerk with that Hero Lance of his, and other people are going to be needing that Uber Slime Sword and Elite Ring.

Fury still has her things to do though; she's lost quite a bit of money from not beating Ranks 6 & 7, so she's flying off to filch some Gold with her Thief Sword.

That's not a problem for Holyn though. Actually, the Rank 7 guy is easier than the Rank 6 guy! Torton's got slightly higher stats, but Axes pretty universally stink in this game; and almost everyone on our team can use swords; rather odd balance to be sure.

Another important money management tip: Don't be fooled by the Gold total you see after every Arena jaunt. If you go only by this, Holyn won't have enough money to buy the Elite Ring for the Chapter 4 Arena; but remember, you get 1000G from every non-home castle that remains intact. Madino and Silvail together make two, and the very last castle doesn't count because we'll never get an opportunity to defend it. So Holyn will get 2000G next chapter.

Even disregarding that, however, he's still got the Iron Blade; so he absolutely does not mind spending a bit of his Gold to fix the Uber Slim Sword.

Alright guys, ready for more story time?

Haven't heard from these guys in a while, have you? Of course, that's more my fault than anything.

Dobarl: Them Grandbellians’ll attack up this way ‘fore too long. Whaddya reckon?

Briggid: Dobarl! They’re coming because you guys went behind my back and raided the villages! I won’t have this insubordination!

Dobarl: “Hey! Enough from ya! We tried lettin’ ya lead us, but ya too power hungry! I’ve got news for ya sis. Ya ain’t t’late cap’n’s real daughter anyhow. Ya’s jus’ this cryin’ lit’le girl on a ship we attacked. So th’ cap’n decided t’raise ya himself. Then ya grew up ‘n started orderin’ us around. Makes me head hurt jus’ thinkin’ ’bout it!

This whole thing's gotten me curious. I mean, Briggid is going all Robin Hood all the time, but it doesn't sound like her foster dad did things that way. So what, did he just say “eh, whatever” when Briggid started reading her Robin Hood picture books? Or did he encourage her to be a noble bandit? Or maybe he was against it at first, but then had his heart softened by Briggid's kindness? Or was Briggid just forced to tolerate his acts of recalcitrance until he finally passed away?

Either way, I'dve thought he'd be more careful about drumming those thoughts out of her head before putting her in charge of these criminals; did he really not foresee this being a problem?

Briggid: What!? That can’t be…

Dobarl: But we’ve no use fer ya now. I believe t’is dyin’ time fer ya.

Briggid: Hold on! You’re not taking me that easy, you rotten filth!

Pizarl: Aye!

Well! That could've gone better! The heck did she even stay in power for this long anyway? I mean:

1) She's a female, living in a predominantly patriarchal world.
2) Dobarl at least seems to know the truth behind her heritage.
3) By all accounts, she's been forcing the pirates to live the do-gooder's life ever since her old man died!
4) Said life seems to be different from what the previous leader was doing; I don't think the guy would've attacked a ship if he was sticking to that “noble bandit” creed.

Really, the question isn't why they overthrew her; the question is “why did they wait as long as they did” :raise: ?

:ohdear:

Oh good, Briggid's actually a strong unit! Really strong! I mean, look at the enemy's stats:

And compare them to hers:

I'll tell ya what, you'd practically have to TRY to get her killed! And in-spite of what I said in earlier updates, I'm not going to be doing that. My original plan for this chapter involved letting Briggid be killed; that way, the enemies chasing her would instead gravitate towards Madino, where the likes of Ardan/Azel would farm them for easy EXP. But, I found a much easier grinding method in Chapter 5; now I won't incur a Loss on my Combat Rank!

Now, that's how things look at the end of Enemy Phase. There are two groups of enemies here; the one with mixed unit types will chase after Briggid, and the other will be charging towards Madino. The latter is far easier to deal with; it consists solely of axe users, and Pizarl's stats and Leadership stars aren't high enough to make up for that. We don't even need Sigurd for those guys! How ARE we going to deal with them? Find out, NEXT TIME, on Let's Play Fire Emble-...

...wait, story time's STILL not over? We just beat Shagaal! How much longer IS this chapter?!

Tiltyu: We can’t be messin’ ’round here. If pirates showed up, they’d kill us fer sure.

Claude: I’m coming. By praying to Lord Blagi I’ve learned the truth behind what’s been happening. It’s just as I thought it to be. I also found our family’s Sacred Relic. It’s been missing for some time. The Valkryie Staff. Have a look.

Tiltyu: Huh? This dirty ol’ stick?

Claude: Tiltyu! You had better watch what comes out of your mouth. This staff here? It’s magical and can return life to those who have passed on already. Only one descendant of Saint Blagi can use it, and that’s me.

Tiltyu: Hmm… So can it bring back my sweet grandma?

Claude: Well, no it can’t. You see it has certain limitations, so it won’t work on everyone. You see, we’re all born with this life force. It’s called ‘Aegir’ and…

Tiltyu: Huh? You lost me. You’re (yawn…) puttin’ me t’sleep. Anyway, we don’t got time for that stuff. We gotta get movin’!

Claude: Yes, you’re right. Let’s go.

I'm not sure how easily missable this particular tidbit is, but I believe the rule is this: The Valkyrie Staff can only revive people who had been slain less than a year ago. Anyone dead longer than that will never come, no matter what. Fortunately for us, all of our PC's fall into the former category, so if they die, we can simply bring them back! That's part of why I was originally going to let Briggid get killed, but, whatever; I found a better strategy.

But can Claude, Tiltyu, and Briggid all get themselves out of this mess? Will Sigurd have any luck in finding Deirdre? Will his tribulations end soon? Or has he been fated to incur yet more sorrow? Find out, on the next EXPLOSIVE episode of Let's Max Rank Fire Emblem 4! This is Fionordequester, signing out; have a nice day, and God bless you all!

AAAA RANKED RUN STATS

Time Taken This Update: ~29 minutes and 22 seconds.

Total Time Elapsed Over the Run: ~7 hours, 35 minutes and 16 seconds.

Turns Taken This Update: 7 Turns

Total Turns Elapsed Over The Run: 121 Turns

Levels Gained This Update:19 Levels (Sylvia gets a level, because she's dancing for Ethlin)

Total Levels Gained: 255 Levels

On Chapter 2, I regret the fact that Ardan built up so many love points with Aira even though that pairing's been written out of the route, I regret making that positioning mistake with Fin, and I wish I hadn't made that careless mistake with Sigurd attacking that guard near Boldo (even if it did end up working out). I regret deciding to not just get Deirdre to Level 30 by the end of Chapter 2. I regret wasting something like 12 minutes rigging Aideen a win against Keimos, when it ultimately didn't end up doing much for Jamka anyway. And I could have manipulated Dew's Gold a bit better so that Aira got just 18,000G instead of 22,470G.

Level 5-6: 33 HP, 1 Str, 12 Mag, 7 > 8 Skl, 10 > 11 (16) Spd, 3 > 4 Lck, 2 > 3 Def, 6 Res!

Level 6-7 (fought in the Arena a bit): 35 HP, 9 Str, 0 Mag, 7 Skl, 9 > 10 Spd, 3 > 4 Lck, 8 Def, 0 Res!

Level 18-28: 40 > 48 HP, 7 > 14 Str, 11 > 13 Mag, 15 > 22 Skl, 17 > 22 Spd, 10 > 15 Lck, 7 > 14 Def, 8 > 11 Res!

Level 23-24: 42 HP, 4 Str, 23 Mag, 15 Skl, 13 > 14 Spd, 20 > 21 Lck, 5 Def, 12 Res!

Level 3-4: 30 HP, 3 Str, 1 Mag, 4 Skl, 12 Spd, 6 > 7 Lck, 1 Def, 5 > 6 Res!

Level 14-19: 42 > 47 HP, 15 > 17 Str, 0 Mag, 19 > 22 Skl, 18 > 19 Spd, 3 > 5 Lck, 13 > 14 Def, 1 Res!

Level 9-13: 33 HP, 12 > 15 Str, 1 > 2 Mag, 13 > 14 Skl, 21 > 23 Spd, 7 Lck, 11 > 12 Def, 10 Res!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 6, 2016