Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Crystalgate posted:

Well executed plan! Destroy the queen's armies, capture the queen, capture her strongholds and be surprised as Sigurd moves in and destroys the rebellion.

I know this is basically the name of the game in every Fire Emblem, but Sigurd and co. really do seem to pose a much more massive threat than they realistically would. Look at the massive amount of enemies you have to fight! And canonically you win every time! I mean I get that the Holy Weapons are crazy good, but at this point there's only two of them in Sigurd's party.

Oh, but god help you if you get surrounded by wussy mages with Meteor spells even though you should be well within the blind spots.

EDIT: An update is two posts above this one. Oops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
One of the more interesting things I find with this ranking run is the absolutely staggered nature of how your characters are leveling. Also with how you're having Sigurd just outright go evasive-murder-frenzy on bosses really does give a lot of credence to all the people saying how easy it is to do solo Sigurd for Gen 1.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Ephraim225 posted:

I know this is basically the name of the game in every Fire Emblem, but Sigurd and co. really do seem to pose a much more massive threat than they realistically would. Look at the massive amount of enemies you have to fight! And canonically you win every time! I mean I get that the Holy Weapons are crazy good, but at this point there's only two of them in Sigurd's party.
The problem is that the Fire Emblem mains don't take any significant casualties when they fight. If you have 1,000 soldiers vs the enemy's 1,000 and win, you will still have lost a portion of your soldiers. If the next enemy shows up with 1,000 soldiers as well, you maybe only have 900 (note that it's very unusual that one side gets annihilated, so defeating 1,000 with only a 100 loss is not unrealistic at all) this time and if you lost 100 the former battle, chance is you will lose more soldiers this time and also lose the battle as well. This is not really reflected in the story. If you win an FE battle, you got trough it unscathed as far as the story is concerned.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Crystalgate posted:

Well executed plan! Destroy the queen's armies, capture the queen, capture her strongholds and be surprised as Sigurd moves in and destroys the rebellion.

Yeah...probably not the best timing on Daccar and Maios's part. Granted, they DID give a reason for doing this (they'd be rewarded handsomely for bringing in the "traitor's" head, and presumably get in good with Alvis)...but trying to take on Sigurd and Queen Rahna at once was aiming FAR too high.

Keldulas posted:

One of the more interesting things I find with this ranking run is the absolutely staggered nature of how your characters are leveling. Also with how you're having Sigurd just outright go evasive-murder-frenzy on bosses really does give a lot of credence to all the people saying how easy it is to do solo Sigurd for Gen 1.

Indeed. I think the "staggered leveling" you're seeing is partially a symptom of this being an RPG. Watch a typical RPG speed run, and you'll see that it's often faster to skip fights with early game enemies in return for a bit of grinding on later game monsters. For example, compare an early game enemy from Final Fantasy 1...

IMP/Goblin: 6 EXP

And compare it to, say, one of the mid-game enemies...

ZomBULL: 1050 EXP

One ZomBULL literally gives 176 times the EXP of one Goblin, and that's often the way it is with RPG's. I could literally skip 176 early game battles, and it wouldn't make a darn bit of difference. Combine that with me getting a lot more tools in later maps (the Elite Ring, the Uber weapons I'm making, Lover's giving Gold to each other, etc.), and you can see why much of my approach to the early Chapters was just "screw it, I'm just gonna bum rush those fools".

Then of course, there's Staff Botting. That's it's own brand of ridiculous, as you're now finding out ;) .

Crystalgate posted:

The problem is that the Fire Emblem mains don't take any significant casualties when they fight. If you have 1,000 soldiers vs the enemy's 1,000 and win, you will still have lost a portion of your soldiers. If the next enemy shows up with 1,000 soldiers as well, you maybe only have 900 (note that it's very unusual that one side gets annihilated, so defeating 1,000 with only a 100 loss is not unrealistic at all) this time and if you lost 100 the former battle, chance is you will lose more soldiers this time and also lose the battle as well. This is not really reflected in the story. If you win an FE battle, you got trough it unscathed as far as the story is concerned.

That...personally, I always explained that away by assuming that they're recruiting more guys as they're hopping across the continent. So for example, Sigurd is given a few guys from Barhara when Filat visits him in the Prologue, then recruits some of Jamka's men in Chapter 1 (and maybe some grateful villagers), then recruits some of Eltshan's Cross Knights in Chapter 2 (we know that there's more than just Lachesis's bodyguards). And so-on-and-forth, for every Fire Emblem game.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Well staggered referred to stuff like Midir being garbage-level, or Levin not actually being promoted yet. I understand the reasons, Midir has severe offense issues and can't use your blood offering swords. You also don't need to give Levin the easy early-game exp when Holsety and staff-botting on promotion exists. But it still looks weird to me.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I feel like we should start compiling some sort of Holy Weapon Tier List.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Junpei posted:

I feel like we should start compiling some sort of Holy Weapon Tier List.
First, no.

Second, tier lists are stupid, and third, no.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

theshim posted:

First, no.

Second, tier lists are stupid, and third, no.

Jeez, can't you take a joke? I was joking about the fact that almost (repeating, in case you don't hear me, ALMOST) all the Holy Weapons we've seen are OP. Some people just don't have a sense of humor.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Junpei posted:

Jeez, can't you take a joke? I was joking about the fact that almost (repeating, in case you don't hear me, ALMOST) all the Holy Weapons we've seen are OP. Some people just don't have a sense of humor.

Heheheh, don't worry Junpei. I at least, got the intent behind it ;).

But as for theshim's reaction, there's a TON of baggage surrounding certain topics on Fire Emblem. Both Gamefaqs and Serenes Forest used to spend a lot of time on tier lists, and there was A. LOOOT. OF ARGUING. Like, seriously; things would get so hostile that it wasn't even funny. So, that's probably where that was coming from. I don't think he was actually trying to insult you; I think he's just got a slight bit of PTSD from the whole thing :nallears: ...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Thanks Fion. For now, all I can say is that it seems like a coin flip between Valflame and Mystletainn (I'll pronounce it how IntSys intended it, dammit).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I always thought Mysletain was one of the worst ones, honestly. It's only good at killing, and while it's really good at that, 30 Might is high enough to leave a huge gash in any enemy, while something like Forseti gets 1-2 range combat and keeps you alive with its +40 Evade. You can throw Ced or Lewyn at a horde of enemies and they'll come out with full HP, whereas Ares *only* works as a delete button.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Status Update: I've re-entered College as of two weeks ago, so I've been busy with that. I had ALSO been giving thorough testing to Chapters 6 and 7, so that I won't have to rewrite entire portions of the route (like I had to with Chapters 3-5, due to finding new strategies). As such, I have not collected any screenshots for Chapter 5 yet.

I HAVE, however, recorded all of Chapter 5, so I'll now be working on GETTING said screenshots for the next update! Plus, I have now finished my Chapter 6-7 testing. Thank you so much for your time, support, and feedback, and God bless you all! Hope to see you sometime next week!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 3, 2016

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So with this LP and the Book of Holsety patch, I decided to give this game another go.

Hit the Arena in Chapter 1 and this happens:

I don't know how it happened, but I like it.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Lol. Yep, THAT'D be one to report to BookofHolsety! Him and his hacker (DDS) are looking for bug reports like that, so...would you like to report that, or me :) ?

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Arden clearing the entire arena is clearly not a bug.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How much of your limited cash pool does it costs to keep those Holy Weapons in good repair, though? They can't be cheap to fix.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Glazius posted:

How much of your limited cash pool does it costs to keep those Holy Weapons in good repair, though? They can't be cheap to fix.

No, they're ludicrously expensive, but being a holy weapon user almost always means Good Growths and Bases. Even if he never got Forseti Lewyn would always be one of your best dudes, Brigid comes as a great prepremote in a game where being a level 12 Sniper has no downsides, Sigurd is Sigurd, and one of the Gen 2 ones can consistently clear the arena with nothing but his Steel Blade. So yeah, money or overeliance on their weapons isn't a thing.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Indeed. And for reference, Holy Weapons cost 1000G PER DURABILITY POINT! So repairing a broken one from 0 to 50 uses costs 50000G; for reference, that's the exact amount that your money caps at!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Fionordequester posted:

Indeed. And for reference, Holy Weapons cost 1000G PER DURABILITY POINT! So repairing a broken one from 0 to 50 uses costs 50000G; for reference, that's the exact amount that your money caps at!
So remember kids: Save your Holy Weapons for emergencies, and always have a spare weapon. You never know when you might need it.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Junpei posted:

So remember kids: Save your Holy Weapons for emergencies, and always have a spare weapon. You never know when you might need it.

Precisely! A good holy knight is ALWAYS prepared!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Doncha worry guys, this thread still isn't dead; College has just been REALLY busy!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I wonder if any Fire Emblem map after Incest of the Holy War has ever had such big maps. Maybe in a fangame? I'd like to see them revisit the "Second generation replaces the first" thing as well (Sorry Fates, but Recollection of Bubbles/Heirs of Fate isn't enough for me).

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Heya. I'm still around, and I still intend to finish this once I have time. School is currently running me ragged though, and I recently came down with a rather debilllitating illness. I'm hanging in there though; I'm just about on the mend, and I think I have a plan of attack for getting caught up on my school.

It does, however, mean that there still won't be any updates in the near future. I just want to put in a placeholder post for keeping the thread unlocked, and for letting people know that this isn't over. God bless you everyone!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hello soldiers, and welcome back to Let's Max Rank Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War! It's time to move on to the FINAL battle of Chapter 5!

: After quelling Silesia’s internal unrest, Grandbell’s great military lay waiting for Sigurd.

: He sat face to face with Grandbell’s military stationed over at Lubeck Castle. Commanding the forces was an enemy of Sigurd’s father…

: Engaging Grandbell’s military would provide Sigurd a chance to avenge his father’s entrapment at the hands of Langbart. Stationed in the desert town Phinora were Lord Alvis’ men, and the great Magefighter, Vaha.

: In Velthomer, Alvis’ most trusted confidant General Ida was entrusted with the castle’s defense.

: And in the capitol, Lord Alvis assisted the elderly bedridden King Azmur while Prime Minister Reptor maintained the public order.

: With such a great distance to the capitol, confrontation with Grandbell’s forces seemed inevitable. Sigurd also knew he mustn’t involve Silesia any further in the conflict with Grandbell.

: Chapter 5: Threshold of Fate

Oh dear. That's an ominous title...

Byron: Sigurd… I must get the Holy Tyrfing to you!

“Meanwhile, at the Fortress of Evil...”

Slaydar: He managed to get away just as I was closing in. I believe he intends to seek refuge in Silesia.

Langbart: Then what the hell’re you doing here!? Get after him!! We must finish him off now! Otherwise our entire effort spent wiping out Chalphy’s Gruenen Ritter will have been for nothing!

Slaydar: Y, yes, of course. He has sustained heavy injuries, so he shouldn’t get far.

Langbart: You gravely underestimate the situation. Byron is prepared to spill his last drop of blood to get the Holy Tyrfing to his son. Do you have any idea how much trouble we’ll face if that sword reaches Sigurd!? Depart immediately and kill him!!

Slaydar: Y, yes sir! Right away, sir!

Langbart: The axe knights of the Grauen Ritter are all elite warriors. With that much power on his side, Dannan has no excuse for taking so long to quell some little uprising in Isaac. Both my sons, Dannan and Lex, are absolutely worthless.

Andre: Don’t lose heart, sir. Those rebels won’t stand a chance against the Beige Ritter.

Langbart: I appreciate it, Lord Andre. Do lend us a hand if things get too out of control.

Andre: Heh heh… With pleasure!

Best be careful Andre; we're not a bunch of winged ponies like the troops in Chapter 4 were :getin: .

Langbart: Lord Ring… may you rest in peace.

This here is one of my favorite bits of villain dialogue in the entire game. Most villians in this game are hilariously 2-Dimensional; they've got about as much depth to them as your random thug on The Walking Dead. This, on the other hand, actually sets Langbart apart from the other villains in some crucial ways.

He is still an utterly despicable man, don't get me wrong. But he's a despicable man with some faint touches of humanity to him. He's sensitive about the subject of patricide, it seems like; Lex and him seem to have a fairly strained relationship, so that's not a subject he likes thinking about. Plus, his anger and wrath are only targetted at Prince Kurth and the Chalphies; he didn't have any ill feelings toward Lord Ring...

And yet, it's all hilariously hypocritical. Langbart is a malignant narcissist; he'll do just about anything to maintain his own smug sense of superiority. "I may have murdered two men in cold blood, but at least I didn't kill my own FATHER! I'm not THAT bad! I don't have to change!" So his 'feelings of remorse' also serve as a convenient excuse for his own behavior.

So he's evil, yes; but he's evil in a slightly more human way than, say, Manfloy. You can actually kind of see how his mind ticks.

Oifaye: I don’t think so. Lubeck Castle has put out troops in pursuit of the knight. He could be an ally.

Sigurd: Then let’s try to help him. We have to face Langbart’s army sooner or later anyhow. Okay. Let’s take the enemy’s front line in one sweep. Our first strike’ll decide this battle.

Well said Sigurd! Let's smash em all right now!

Boy I love that song. All dramatic and everything, you don't know if the song is a triumphant song or a tragic one; it's great! Anyway, a pit stop inside Zaxon Castle.

Levin's still got the Elite Ring, so I get him to Level 23 in the Arena. And naturally...

*GASP* His power level! IT'S OFF THE CHARTS!!

Urrrrggghh...need...bigger...charts...

Seriously, this guy. He's just absurd.

Anyway, Lex follows up as well. He can't beat Arena 6 and 7, but Arena's 1-5 are still more than enough to get him to Level 30.

And then it's Fury's turn. She also herself up to Level 30.

Also love that song; it really evokes an "eye in the middle of the storm" feeling. With all the crazy nonsense happening all around Sigurd, his home castle is the one place of rest he has left.

But wait, what? The heck am I doing?

Well, believe it or not, we're going to be using an actual team for this map! It's NOT just going to be a Sigurd Solo this time. I want to pass the Hero Sword back and forth between different people, and you'll see why later. And the Iron Lance? Well, let's just say that you'll want a full inventory before talking with Lord Byron; we can't use the Shield Ring for that, because then people won't be attacking Sigurd.

Now, the rest of our advance guard will consist of Aira, Beowulf, Brigid, Claude, Fury, Lachesis, Lex, and Holyn, so here's what they're bringing...

Both sword fighters have strong enough weapons to ORKO all of Slaydar's knights...

Beo's got himself the fabled HERO Sword...

Brigid is awesome right out the gate, and will be building love points with Holyn...

Claude got his Reserve Staff repaired, and now he'll get to Level 30 while building love points with Fury...

Dew will occasionally kill fools and steal their gold while building love points with Sylvia...

Fury will be flying around the map, Returning people and building love points with Claude while occasionally picking off enemies...

Lachesis is there for Charisma support and HP restoration...

And Lex is just there to support Aira via Lover Bonus. He COULD easily ORKO Slaydar and his entire crew, but, that wouldn't be a good use of EXP. So that's everyone in the main group. But we ALSO have some Bandits to deal with in the west, so...

I also get Azel, Alec, and Jamka out to deal with them...

Jamka has the Hero and Killer Bows, so he's fine there. And Alec doesn't need anything but the Iron Lance to see him through.

Sylvia dances...

Sigurd kills one of the thunder mages...

Fury goes to rescue the eastern plateau village...

Beowulf, Claude, Lachesis, Levin, and Tiltyu all move like so...

And then Dew takes his spot next to Sylvia.

Enemy Phase!

Sigurd already took care of one of the Thunder Mages, so Beo's at no risk here. It's just him vs. a ton of poorly prepared Axe Armours!

Nothing much happens other than that...EXCEPT THIS CUTSCENE!

Alvis: Lord Langbart’s army has already reached Lubeck. Subjugation of the insurgents should be forthcoming.

Azmur: Yes. Well, I’m not so sure I buy all this. Lord Byron assassinating Kurth, and Sigurd causing all this ruckus… I don’t know.

Well, someone's on our side at least. I wonder though; how exactly DID Alvis spin that crazy story of his...

Alvis: Your Majesty. Please, I’ll explain once more.

...Wait...oh no...NO, NO, NONONONON-!!

Alvis: Lord Byron assassinated the prince with the help of Lord Ring of Jungby. Duke Reptor and Duke Langbart both witnessed the entire horrible spectacle!

GYAAAAARRRRGGGHHH :bang: !!

Alvis: The prince learned of their plot to usurp the throne, and that cost him his life. Sir Sigurd is also without a doubt involved in the conspiracy. Why else would he harbour the prince of a hostile country? Isaac no less. These are clearly acts of treason against the kingdom. The late Prince Kurth is also now a father-in-law to me… And for my beloved princess, Deirdre, I must put an end to Sigurd’s path of destruction! If Lord Langbart cannot successfully subdue the rebels, Velthomer’s fire knights, the Roten Ritter, will stop Sigurd’s rebel army in their tracks!

...Ok writers. You got that out of your system? Have your fulfilled your exposition quota for the day?

Azmur: Well, you obviously have strong feelings about all this, and rightly so.

Good; now, if we can just move o-

Wait, didn't we HAVE our big exposition dump already?! Don't you-

Azmur: Ahh, Deirdre. You’re such a sweet child. I’m… wheeze… not long for this world, but you give me hope for the kingdom’s future. I don’t know when or how Kurth could have acquired himself such a wonderful daughter, but the markings on your brow clearly identify you as a direct descendant of the Royal Family. Where in heavens have you been living all this time?

DON'T DO THIS TO ME GAME! YOU'RE STRONGER THAN THIS! DON'T YOU DAR-

Deirdre: I’m sorry. I don’t know. I don’t remember anything from my past. Not a single memory I can speak of...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Alvis: Aside from her name she doesn’t remember a thing. I was simply looking after her out of sympathy, but then I fell deeply in love with her. With all due respect, I never in a million years would have suspected she was of royalty.

:cry:

Azmur: The day you brought her in to the Royal Palace to announce your wedding intentions, I tell you…I could have swore my eyes were playing tricks on me! I don’t know. Call it a family’s intuition, but somehow I knew. And sure enough under her circlet were the markings of Narga. Lord Alvis, you understand what this all means, don’t you? According to the Book of Narga only descendants of Heim, like myself, can give off that kind of vibration. And Narga’s power is the only one capable of standing up to the Dark Lord Loputousu.

...I kid, but; this really does seem to be the only way this game knows how to keep the player informed on recent developments. Let's not have any BUILD up to the exposition, or have the player actually SEE anything happening; no, let's just have a bunch of talking heads spill their guts out about every relevant detail. Chapter 1 had Manfloy give Sandima a several minute long lecture on stuff he should already know, Chapter 3 had Reptor shouting at trees...and now Chapter 5 has Alvis belting out his wrestling promo like he's been rehearsing it in front of a mirror right before having Azmur say all this.

Alvis: Yes, I’m aware of that.

See? Even ALVIS is getting tired of it all!

Azmur: Lord Narga’s lineage through Saint Heim must not be allowed to perish! I want the two of you to bear a son as soon as possible! If the child inherits the power of Narga, he shall be Prince of Grandbell. And once I pass on he’ll become the King of Grandbell. Lord Alvis, until the boy is old enough to rule, you shall be the provisional king. Do raise him well. I hope you understand all of what I’ve told you. (cough.. Ah…ack..)

He'd better; I'd hate to have to listen to all that AGAIN :smugjones: .

Now back to actual gameplay.

Alvis, if this man looks like something that can be stopped; then just try to stop him!

Langbart's soldiers are all looting the villages! But we managed to sneak a little cash past them. Here, we would like you to have it.

Thank you. Now watch as Fury...

Shows the Mbandit HER fury!

There we go.

By the sounds of it, the late King Eltshan of Nodion and his queen had themselves a young boy. His name was Aless, I believe. I reckon he'd be about 3 or 4 by now. Poor thing.

Beo goes on ahead...

Dew filches some gold by killing the General...

Jamka takes care of his guy...

And then...well...Azel and Alec TRY to take care of their guy, but Alec whiffed his lance thrusts :/ .

Our main group moves, causing this giant mass of arrows (seriously, tell me if it gets confusing, ok guys?)...

Which prompts Levin to finish the Player Phase by gaining two more levels!

Alright Langbart, show me your best!

...Oh, ok. Or Byron could get his 2nd wind, that works too.

Sigurd: Father! Hang in there!!

Byron: Son, I’m afraid I’m at death’s door, so listen up. Langbart killed Prince Kurth, not I. And just above him in the chain of command is Reptor. Please inform His Majesty of this. I’m not afraid to die, son. But I must live long enough see our good name restored!

Sigurd: I knew it! Don’t worry, father. I will restore your honour in the kingdom. Rest assured!

Byron: Son, I’m sorry. My negligence has led to all the hardships you’re currently facing. Here, take this from me. It’s the Holy Tyrfing.

Sigurd: The Holy Tyrfing! But father, you can still...

Byron: Take it! And restore our good name!

Sigurd: I’ve had it with those two! Reptor and Langbart… I’m taking you both out!!

Ready guys? You'd better be, because what we have here is the most broken sword you will ever wield. If you thought the Gae Bolg was broken...if you thought the Ichaval was broken...if you thought fricken Holsety was broken...

Well, Holsety is still the best, but this sword's a close second. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the most BROKEN sword in ALLL of FE4...the ONE...the ONLYYY...TYRFIIIIIIING!!

…....Yeah.

Look at this; look at how the game automatically equips this! This is one of the trolliest things that FE4 will ever do to you, for multiple reasons.

1) You have no time to switch before enemy phase, so Sigurd gets stuck with a 1 Range, 0 Might, 30 Hit, 30 Weight weapon, 0 Kill weapon for that turn. And heaven help you if you happened to be in Slaydar's range at that point!

2) Holy Weapons cost a full 50000G to repair if you want all 50 uses (not needed, but still).

3) This forces you to double back to your Home Castle if you want it before Langbart. And some players WILL need it before Langbart. Because surprise, surprise...

Langbart himself is an utter beast of a man! Holy Weapons and Crit Weapons are the only reliable way of going toe-to-toe with him, and not every player is going to be savvy enough to have those lying around. Ichaval and Holsety are optional weapons, and getting a 100 Kill weapon requires proper foreknowledge of the games mechanics to get.

And even in Levin's case, he might not be able to BEAT Langbart! His attack is so obscenely high, that any unraised mage gets OHKOed by him! Levin is the only one who can consistently survive a hit without promo gains, and even that's not a sure thing.

Oh, and if you're wondering just how absurd 41 Defense + Big Guard is in Gen 1? Well, fricken Lex caps out at 27 Strength, and can equip the Silver Axe for 22 Might. That's 49 Might right there, and he still only SCRATCHES the man! And good luck ever doing anything with the Hero Axe, which only gives 14 Might...

Fortunately, we don't need to deal with any of that. I intentionally filled up my inventory with stuff like the Iron Lance; that means that I had to choose which of my items I had to return to Storage. So BYE BYE broken sword, and hello 75 Kill Light Sword!

Now, it wouldn't have been so bad to deal with that anyway, seeing as how Slaydar's men are NOT attacking anyone this turn...but it still would've been annoying to have accidentally used THAT instead of the Light Sword on someone.

In other news, Alec got set on fire. That's what you get for not doing your job.

Our turn!

Let's get Beo fixed up by his lovely wife...

Now, we want Beo to get most of the kills here, but Dew is never one to pass up some free gold. Plus, Beo's at real risk of breaking his Hero Sword before getting all the experience he needs (Level 26 and 44 Exp before fighting in the Arena). So, I'm gonna put Dew in range of three of the knights.

And here's how everyone else got moved. As for the other guys...

Jamka gets himself some gold...

Children inherit certain traits from their parents. More often than not, boys inherit their father's traits and girls inherit their mother's.

Alec kills his bandit...and doesn't visit the village. But that's ok, we'll still cover the dialogue.

Our Silesia remained peaceful for the longest time. Just when did things get so bad...

I believe Emperor Palpatine has the answer to that question:

Darth Sidious posted:

Beings believe what you tell them. They never check, they never ask, they never think. Tell them the state is menaced by quadrillions of battle droids, and they will not count. Tell them you can save them, and they will never ask—from what, from whom? Just say tyranny, oppression, vague bogeymen that require no analysis. Never specify. Then they look the other way when reality is right in front of them. It's a conjuring trick. The key is distraction, getting them to watch your other hand. Only single-minded beings don't join in the shared illusion, and keep watching you too closely. Single-minded beings are dangerous. And they either work for me, or they don't work at all. - Darth Sidious (Order 66: A Republic Commando Novel)

In other words, it all happens while the public's attention is focused on other things. Alvis is in the perfect position to claim power. Some may raise some suspicions as to how he got there, but the citizenry won't challenge him. They'll be too shaken up by all the crazy nonsense that has been happening. Sigurd would be the only one staunch enough to not go along with everyone else; and Alvis is just about to try and axe him off, so...

I'd add on more quotes, but, these Mbandits are pretty hardy; Azel's not gonna take care of him till next turn.

Levin's almost gotten to Level 28, so...

I positioned him, Tiltyu, and his jealous stalker in a way that he could get to 29 while getting everyone back inside.

We then end our turn by having Fury join the main group.

Beo's got himself the perfect Avoid thanks to Sigurd and Lachesis!

Which means that none of these guys have a chance against him.

Sadly, I couldn't get the other two mooks; and even if I COULD, I wouldn't have wanted to. We need Slaydar to stay alive for some grinding strats this chapter.

But at least we can steal some gold from him!

Slaydar: Our front line's already broken!?

Guess so buddy!

:keke:

In retrospect, I probably should have just had Dew sit tight after slaying that General; I didn't really accomplish much with him, so I probably wasted about a minute or so with him.

Besides, Slaydar's already bewildered enough, what with all those colored arrows flying around. Btw, Aira is where she is because I don't want her stealing Love Points from Brigid. She's higher than her on Holyn's Jealousy scale.

So Jamka's heading back now...

And now Azel is too. Here's more Village text.

Grandbell's military went and seized Lubeck, did they? Ahh! Silesia's days're numbered.

Now then...

Levin's done with the Elite Ring and Warp Staff, but he's not at Level 30 yet. So I decided to buy the Live Staff for him; I can get started on Tiltyu this turn.

May as well fix up Holsety while we're at it; his son IS going to be getting it, after all!

Now here's some advanced selling tactics for Tiltyu.

She's just outside of affording the Elite Ring. But there's another Thunder tome with only 13 uses compared to the 42 use tome she has now. So we can sell the 42 use one, buy the Elite Ring, and then BUY the 13 use one! Economics, everyone :science: !

Feh. Nothing to be done about that Arena 4 guy though. He's RNG no matter how you slice it.

So let's have Levin heal her up, let's try again...

And HA! There we go!

Now get Arena 5...

And BAM! TIME FOR PROMOTION!

Congrats Tiltyu. You can almost survive a hit from Langbart now :v: !

No but seriously; this promo actually is pretty awesome. She gets the fricken Continue skill from it; and the high Magic, Speed, and Defense gains also go a long way. She's actually an effective fighter now!

So with Arena 7 out of the way...

Say hello to our new staff bot (special guest starring Sylvia)!

Oh, and Levin's getting that Live Staff EXP.

And we start Enemy Phase with...

Slaydar running away to fetch some EXP fodder “reinforcements”.

Now, I want to grind in peace. Which means...

I need Andre out of the way, like, right now.

Don't you worry, they're exact movements don't matter in this case.

Tiltyu keeps warping, and Levin keeps using her HP gains to get more EXP...

And now Azel's headed back. Yeah, those guys're almost here, but they're no biggie; Holsety!Levin on a Castle just dodge tanks them. In fact, they happen to be good EXP for in case Beo doesn't get enough!

Time for some Sigurd dominance.

Andre: Okay, we’re off! Show them the sheer power of the Beige Ritter! [note that he doesn't say this unless Slaydar dies.]

Well, he doesn't get EVERY one of them, but he does get most of them. And as for Andre himself, well...

He's not worthless as a miniboss. His Hero Bow can do up to 18 Damage to us, meaning that Sigurd COULD technically die if he gets unlucky on the dodges (hence Lachesis's Charisma support)

But that never happened to us; so he goes down like a chump.

Minor spoiler; Scorpio is Andre's son. The game waits a really long time to clarify that, so I thought I'd point it out. So before we move on...

Aideen vs. Andre:

Andre: Hah, it's my treacherous big sister. Fancy meeting you here. You've tarnished the reputation of House Jungby... In return, I'll have your life.

Aideen: Andre... you're so pathetic...

Brigid vs. Andre:

Andre: What!? It can't be... big sister Brigid?!? I heard that you'd become a pirate, but allying with the traitors is another matter... In any case, you've brought shame upon my house. I'll have to kill you.

Brigid: Shut up! You killed father, you patricide [yes, Boo actually wrote that]! You're the disgrace to Jungby house, AND you've tarnished the reputation of the Crusader Ulir!!

Yikes... I think you missed a few words there, Boo.

Now then:

Claude gives Sigurd a much needed recharge...

Beo and Sigurd both kill the remaining murderers-of-Silesia, and now Sigurd's working on Langbart...

And everyone marches closer to where I need them. Oh yes, and I also established a Jealousy formation for Fury X Claude.

Levin does his part as a Dodge tank...

Azel gets his butt inside...

And now our guys are outta range.

Afterwards, Slaydar heads back inside for a turn...

Good for him really; because everyone else just flails around uselessly.

Now; best heal Sigurd up again...

Because stuff's about to get real.

Langbart's Regular Quote:

Langbart: Gwahaha...weaklings. As long as I have my Swanchika... No matter how many of you come, you'll all suffer the same fate! If you don't want to die, then stay away!

Lex vs. Langbart:

Langbart: You...Lex?! You traitor!! You're turning on your own father! Have you no shame!?

Lex: You say that I disgust you, but... Dad, this is fate... Please forgive me...

And now the main event.

Sigurd vs. Langbart:

Langbart: Gwahaha...the kid's made it. Hey, I'll send you to Byron. He must be getting lonely by now.

Sigurd: Langbart! I'll never forgive you for what you did to my father!!

Alright, it's the moment we've all been waiting for! Power vs. power! Might vs. might! Colossus vs. Colossus! Who will walk away from this fight?! How will Sigurd deal with such a man without his Holy Weapon? Find out, on the next EXCITING episode, of Let's Max Rank Fire Emblem 4-

...Oh. Or...THAT...could happen.

…....

I honestly was not expecting that.

Sigurd's Light Sword only had 85 kills on it (35% crit) and Sigurd only has 22 Skl (22% crit); that equals out to 57% crit. Then Langbart has a 30% chance of triggering Big Guard on every swing.

So 0.57 (chance to crit) * 0.70 (chances of not activating Big Guard) * 0.57 (chance to crit * 0.70 equals (chances of not activating Big Guard)...16%.

It's not like I won the lottery or anything, but...

The guy usually takes much longer to kill than that.

A typical fight with him tends to consist of about 3-4 turns worth of hit-and-run tactics. He'll laugh off a non-critical, block another with Big Guard on Turn 1, get hit by a critical on Turn 2 before blocking the other hit, restore something like 15 HP on the beginning of his turn, and etc., etc. There's no story and gameplay segregation here; he's a juggernaut who took down Sigurd's dad, and his stats reflect that.

Now then...I may have toppled the mighty Langbart, but can we keep up our winning streak? Can Sigurd keep his composure during the maelstrom that is still to come? And just how ARE we going to get as many levels as we need? It's almost the end of Gen 1, and yet we're still in the hole! What're we gonna do?

FIND OUT NEXT TIME, ON LET'S PLAY FIRE EMBLEM 4! This is Fionordequester, signing out. Have a nice day, and God bless you all!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AAAA RANKED RUN STATS:

Time Taken This Update: ~51 minutes and 15 seconds

Total Time Elapsed Over the Run: 12 hours, 35 minutes, 38 seconds~

Turns Taken This Update: 7 Turns

Total Turns Elapsed Over The Run: 166 Turns

Levels Gained This Update: 38 Levels

Total Levels Gained: 455 Levels

Things I Regret: In the Prologue, I regret the fact that Noish had to hang back as I rigged levels for Sigurd in the Prologue.

In Chapter 1, I should've brought Midir to guarantee that Kinbois's men would be taken down without issue.

On Chapter 2, I regret the fact that Ardan built up so many love points with Aira even though that pairing's been written out of the route, I regret making that positioning mistake with Fin, and I wish I hadn't made that careless mistake with Sigurd attacking that guard near Boldo (even if it did end up working out). I regret deciding to not just get Deirdre to Level 30 by the end of Chapter 2. I regret wasting something like 12 minutes rigging Aideen a win against Keimos, when it ultimately didn't end up doing much for Jamka anyway. And I could have manipulated Dew's Gold a bit better so that Aira got just 18,000G instead of 22,470G.

On Chapter 3, I regret selling Deirdre's Aura tome! I'll bet she TOTALLY could've kicked Manfloy's butt, if ONLY I hadn't taken that away :gonk: !!

On Chapter 4, I regret not having Claude turn around sooner. I also regret not repairing the Return Staff before giving it to Aideen.

On Chapter 5, I regret not having Dew sit tight after slaying that General; I didn't really accomplish much by moving him around outside, so I probably wasted about a minute or so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Level 23-24: 46 HP, 7 Str, 21 Mag, 11 Skl, 20 > 21 Spd, 10 Lck, 11 Def, 11 Res!

Level 28-30: 54 > 55 HP, 27 Str, 1 Mag, 15 Skl, 20 Spd, 8 Lck, 25 Def, 5 Res!

Level 23-24: 51 > 52 HP, 26 > 27 Str, 0 Mag, 18 Skl, 20 Spd, 12 Lck, 18 > 19 Def, 3 Res!

Level 17-29: 44 > 53 HP, 2 > 5 Str, 15 > 25 Mag, 21 > 27 Skl, 25 > 30 Spd, 10 > 16 Lck, 7 > 10 Def, 11 > 17 Res!

Level 22-24: 48 > 49 HP, 19 > 20 Str, 0 Mag, 26 > 27 Skl, 22 Spd > 23 Spd, 7 > 9 Lck, 17 Def, 3 Res!

Level 28-30: 41 HP, 17 Str, 10 Mag, 19 > 20 Skl, 30 Spd, 13 Lck, 17 Def, 17 Res!

Level 22-23: 49 > 50 HP, 24 > 25 Str, 1 Mag, 23 Skl, 21 Spd, 17 > 18 Lck, 17 Def, 11 Res!

Level 15-30: 40 > 53 HP, 0 > 4 Str, 11 > 21 Mag, 23 > 24 Skl, 15(20) > 26(31) Spd, 17 > 25 Lck, 1 > 7 Def, 11 > 17 Res!

Level 27-29: 40 > 42 HP, 0 > 1 Str, 22 > 23 Mag, 14 Skl, 18 > 19 Spd, 12 > 13 Lck, 6 Def, 23 Res!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 17, 2016

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Or that could happen indeed. A really fitting way for things to go with how much you talked up langbert

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

Brigid: Shut up! You killed father, you patricide [yes, Boo actually wrote that]! You're the disgrace to Jungby house, AND you've tarnished the reputation of the Crusader Ulir!!

Yikes... I think you missed a few words there, Boo.

I assume that what's being objected to here is referring to Andre as a patricide?

I'm going to take the heat off Boo by noting that this is almost certainly my fault. More depressingly, this usage is technically correct, for all that it does sound terrible. Reasonably certain that at the time I just couldn't find any synonyms which sounded better; of course the proper solution would be to structure the line differently.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Twilkitri posted:

I assume that what's being objected to here is referring to Andre as a patricide?

I'm going to take the heat off Boo by noting that this is almost certainly my fault. More depressingly, this usage is technically correct, for all that it does sound terrible. Reasonably certain that at the time I just couldn't find any synonyms which sounded better; of course the proper solution would be to structure the line differently.

Something like "you patricidal maniac!" maybe? And I was also referring to the line "You're the disgrace to Junbgy house"; that one feels like it should have read more like "You're the disgrace to the house of Jungby"; "Jungby house" sounds like a playground attraction you'd find at McDonalds.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 14, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeah, Sigurd getting auto-equipped with the broken Tyrfing cost me a reset or two my first time through. It tanks his stats to ridiculous levels and even capped out he'll easily die.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Relevant:

Jotari posted:

Hmm. Something I never questioned before, how does Andre know Briggid was a pirate? This only works if A)He discovered it sometime during the dozen or so years when she was which is strange since naturally if Andre could discover that fact than Ring could too and likely would have gone and reunited with her, or B)He discovered it recently after Ring was dead which also makes little sense since none of the empire's units were involved in that battle and any information that was relayed would have said Briggid was fighting alongside Sigurd rather than being a pirate. I suppose you could suggest he found out after Ring was dead from some other means but you're looking at an extremely small window of time.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hello everyone, and welcome back to the FINAL battle against the Grandbellian conspirators! Last time, we took down Langbart; but this time?

We're going to grind everyone up as high as we conveniently can; preferably up to Level 26 w/44 EXP. That's exactly how high they need to be before an Elite Ring wearer can get to Level 30 in the Arena. This is crucial to keep in mind, because we have 487 non-Fin levels to meet, and we don't want to waste time doing so!

In fact, that's also why we didn't level up earlier. Enemies were worth less EXP in the early chapters, and these Axe Knights are high level, easy to dodge, AND are locked to 1 Range! They're great EXP fodder; to the point where I thought my Real Time gains would offset the Turn costs. But we need to accomplish a few things before we can take advantage of this:

1) We need powerful swords. Most of our guys will be using the Uber Hero Sword; but Silver Blades, Steel Blades, and Silver Swords will also work.

2) We need to distract Slaydar. The reinforcements dry up the moment he dies, but he also has 9 Move compared to his men's 8. He'll die WITH his men if we aren't careful, so we need to bait him with a juicy target. This can be a Priest, someone locked to 2-Range, someone at low health...anyone that would be less threatening than, say, Beowulf. And said person needs to be close enough that Slaydar can get them, but also far enough to where his cronies are forced to attack the one with the Elite Ring.

3) But we can't just distract Slaydar any ol' way we want to. We ALSO need to move him in a way that robs his men of his Leadership stars. Otherwise, his men gain +10 Hit.

4) We need Sigurd and Lachesis to give Evade boosts (and Lovers, if they're available).

5) We need one or two healers on hand.

6) We need someone like Fury to Return the Elite Ring wielder. This allows them to pass the Ring to someone else, and that person will then sprint towards Lubeck.

7) Finally, we need at least one strong person WITHOUT the Elite Ring on hand. They'll kill the reinforcements while we wait for the new Elite Ring user to arrive.

Back to the game; I really do love the Grandbell Army theme. It first played when Andre massacred Mahnya and her squad, so that REALLY helps it have a feeling of brutality.

'Course, they stop being impressive when they pick on someone their own size.

Case in point! Note that Beo does NOT have the Elite Ring yet; I left that with Tiltyu and Levin.

However, THOSE two are now at Level 39, and Beo's gotta return to the castle. So!

Turns 8-9: Beo buys the Elite Ring, gets himself to Level 26 w/44 EXP off the thugs at our castle, gets to Level 30 in the Arena, and then passes the Ring and Uber Hero Sword to Noish...

Who then runs to the fray with Bargain Ring, Speed Ring, Skill Ring, Pursuit Ring, Elite Ring, and Uber Hero Sword in hand. Meanwhile...

Tiltyu and Levin are catching up on lost time...

And Aira's smacking fools around like it ain't no thing. And while she waits for Noish's arrival...

Turns 10-15: Jamka gets himself some Gold. Next...

Noish gets himself to Level 27 off two more waves, and brings the Uber Hero Sword to it's full potential! This took a reset to accomplish, but oh well. No Losses were incurred.

Aideen was more than willing to move some numbers around in the Arena. Speaking of which...

Turns 16-19: Noish has gotten to Level 30, and now it's Alec's turn!

4 hits + 50% base crit + 12 Might = The touch of death! Even when in the hands of...

Azel. Fricken Azel, of all people, gets to ORKO an entire Axe Knight platoon!

I mean, that's not THAT impressive, considering that Aira's been doing that for several turns now...but still. Good thing that sword of hers lasted as long as it did...

That all said, Azel's still a somewhat flimsy target compared to the previous combats. So I had Fury fly here as an added distraction to Slaydar. The Hard A.I. is much less random than the Normal A.I., so feel free to switch it to Hard if you can.

I'll be honest guys; when I started this LP, I never thought I'd see this :allears: . Although that took a reset too.

Turns 20-21: Now, we get three more people up to Level 30.

MWAHAHA :dance: !!

Oh, and Dew gets himself to Level 28...

Right before helping Ardan prepare for his grinding session!

STEP 1: Ardan purchases the Bargain Ring and Uber Hero Sword before selling his Iron Sword...

STEP 2: Sugard daddy Dew gives him about 33,500G...

STEP 3: And then Ardan sprints off to Lubeck as quick as he can. 5 Move is kind of a drag for the kind of maps FE4 has, but...he'll get there.

Dew, meanwhile, is tapped. So he liquidates his stuff and leaves the castle.

Meanwhile, our main group gets in formation so that Slaydar...

Can take another crack at em'. It...goes about as well as you'd expect.

I made a mistake in not equipping the Silver Sword; that would have granted me +10 Evade, and made it easier to cleanly ORKO these knights. Holyn managed to do so ANYWAY, but only because he procced Lunar Sword twice, and then got an extra Strength point.

Turns 22-23: :cheeky: .

Ah! There's Dew playing a game of Hot Potato with his new beau! No need to SPEND that Gold on anything, oh no!! Level 30's the name of the game here!

Oh, and Levin got married. That's neat I guess.

There! THAT'S the weapon Holyn SHOULD have been using!

Turn 24-30: Oh hey Ardan, good to have you. Now if you could just...

There you go, that's the way! Vantage + 50% crit + Hero Sword + Pursuit + High Strength = Profit!

Of course, there is some risk to life and limb present in fighting the 1st wave here; each knight has about a 44% chance of hitting Ardan, and his Defense was still relatively low at the time this GIF was made. I had no Losses on my Combat ranking, so I decided to just take a chance instead of resetting at 8 HP; but be careful if you haven't done as well as me. You're only allowed 3 Losses, and there's no way to get rid of them without restarting the chapter.

Turns 32-36: It was all worth it though! He's still 222 EXP short of the EXP threshold though, so the Uber Hero Sword's just gonna have to break till we get that done. Zaxon's just too far away for us to turn back now, and Ardan's gotten +7 Defense since the 1st wave. He'll be fine.

Now, Slaydar gives a cool 44 EXP...

Ardan breaks the Hero Sword after killing three more henchmen...

And then these dudes stop right here, ripe for the killing.

This guy here is an especially juicy target, because...

Ardan landed a lucky crit on him last round, and has enough to kill him on this one. That's right! Even with 0 Might, 30 Accuracy, and 30 Weight, Ardan's Broken Sword is STILL enough for him to 2HKO! Provided enough luck, of course.

As for the others, I leave only one left; and only as EXP chow for Ardan.

And Fury's more than happy to get some Gold while softening Ardan's food for him.

Still not quite enough to get Level 26 w/44 EXP for Ardan, so I also gave two Ballistae kills to him and Sigurd (Sigurd always appreciates the Light Sword kills, and Ardan can't reach em').

Here's another Village!

Grandbell did subdue Isaac, but there still is some commotion going on over there. Apparently the people of Isaac are desperate to see Prince Shanan return.

So I guess the impression we're supposed to get from what Langbart and him are saying is this; Dannan WAS able to quash their main military easily enough. However, the civilians themselves are proving to be a more difficult challenge. It's not “some little uprising”, as Langbart called it; it's a whole slew of mass uprisings that are happening all over the country. Each one isn't that bad on their own, but there's a lot of them; far too many for the Graun Ritter to get in one fell swoop. They'll win, sure...but it's gonna take them longer than they expected.

And that's not even counting the difficulties of trying to fight in a completely foreign land, where the terrain is different from back home, and where your “huge army” has to sustain itself entirely off of supplies from way back home.

Anyway, Ardan's got everything he needs now. Now how are all of our lovely bachelors and bachelorettes doing?

Yeah, there we go!

Whooooo!!!

WAIFU SIMULATOR HAS BEEN COMPLETED :dance: !

Now let's see if we can get any closer to rescuing Sigurd's one-and-only...

Sigurd: Oifaye, I need a favour of you.

Oifaye: Sure. What is it?

Sigurd: Isaacian territory is just northeast of Lubeck, right? Langbart’s oldest son, Dannan, has been stationed in Isaac ever since their defeat. But I’m willing to bet his authority hasn’t reached the outskirts of Isaac. So...

Oifaye: Just a second! Are you suggesting I leave you all and head for safety!? Forget it! I’m not leaving your side, sir! I’m here till the end!

Sigurd: Oifaye, I hate to impose on you, but please understand my situation. I don’t want to lose Celice. He is not even two yet. But I can’t fight and take care of him. Oifaye, please. I want you to take Celice and go to where it’s safe. You are the only one who I can feasibly count on to do this.

Oifaye: …Alright, I’ll do it. …I’ll guard him with my life. But you have to promise me something. When this war is over you must promise to come get us. Otherwise, I’m not leaving.

Sigurd: Of course. I promise. I’ll come for you.

Oifaye: Okay.

Shanan: And I’m not handin’ him over to Oifaye or anyone until she says it’s okay!

Sigurd: Shanan, come on… I know how you feel. I’m not any happier than you are about Deirdre not being around, but this is for the best.

Shanan: Forget it! It’s my job! Besides, Isaacians hate you guys. You send Oifaye by himself and he’ll be in big trouble! I’m the prince of Isaac. I can protect him better than anyone. Besides, I promised I would.

Oifaye: I know you don’t want to get him involved in this. He is still pretty young. But he can hold his own. His presence would add a level of safety I can’t provide in Isaac.

Sigurd: Hm…

Shanan: You got it! I’m gonna get even tougher, you’ll see. No one’ll lay a hand on him! And I’ll tell him all about Deirdre, too!

Oifaye: I’ll be praying for our victory.

Sigurd: Thanks, Oifaye. Stay well.

Oifaye: Will do!

...Whoa. Well that got dramatic all of a sudden. I mean, I know Langbart wasn't exactly a pushover, but things haven't gotten THAT bad. I wouldn't be stressing out just yet...

An' hey! It's Dew! Dew's always good for a laugh, right?

Dew talks to Jamka:

Ha! Nothin' can rain on Dew's para-

Dew: Everyone’s been sayin’ that, and I’m sick of it! What’s up with everybody? We’re just about ready to win here, but everyone’s bein’ all weird.

Jamka: Er… Sorry, Dew. Yeah, you’re right. I am a bit on edge. I’m not sure why.

Dew: Jamka, look. I like you. You’re a nice guy. I know I caused you trouble before… Anyway, I’m sorry.

Jamka: Dew! What are you getting all mushy on me for? Now you’re the one being weird.

Dew: Yeah, I just… Never mind. I’ll see ya later.

...Okaaay?

Jamka: Hmm… Dew’s also sensing something.

Umm...ok, guess both of them are kinda out of it today. Maybe try Aira and Sigurd?

Sigurd talks to Aira (man the music in this game is good):

Huh. So Shanan and Oifaye weren't the first people Sigurd's shared this with; he's been thinking on it for a while.

Sigurd: Huh? You were entrusted with Shanan’s protection, but he’s in Isaac and you’re here!

Aira: Ah, you’re talking about the promise to my late brother. My job is finished with Shanan. He’s old enough to look after himself now.

Sigurd: Yeah, but…

Aira: I will return to Isaac as soon as this war is finished. And when that day comes, Sir, you too will be able to return to your homeland.

Aira's come quite a way from Chapter 1, huh? Girl hated Sigurd's guts back then, but now...well, I guess marrying Lex has kinda softened her attitude on us Grandbellians. Kind of weird that Shanan never got a new portrait though; guy doesn't exactly scream “I can protect Celice from anybody!"

Lex talks to Azel:

Lex: Huh? Ah, you mean my dad?

Azel: Yeah…

Lex: Yeah… Well, I’d be lyin’ if I said I didn’t feel nothin’. But I tell you, it serves him right. He killed a lot of innocent people.

Azel: Boy, you’re strong, Lex. I start to shake just when I’m around Alvis.

Lex: I can’t figure your brother out. I never thought of him as a bad guy. He was always kind to us.

Azel: Yeah, he always meant more to me than my dad did. But sometimes I feel like I don’t even know him. He can get pretty violent.

Lex: And that’s why you left your pad. Am I right? I don’t see any problem there, Azel. You’ve got your life, and he’s got his.

Azel: Yeah, I suppose.

Wow; that was exposition there. But, it was delivered naturally! “Alvis is a violent enough guy that even Azel isn't totally sure how he feels about him”... That's clearly the main point of this conversation. But the game draws your attention to Lex first, then transitions into Azel's doubts once they can come up naturally. It's not a bunch of talking heads winking and nudging at the audience like it was in some of the OTHER scenes we covered; it felt like an actual conversation. It's short, it's subtle, and it still leaves things on an ominous note. I have to give props where props are due...

And I also have to criticize myself when self-criticisms are due. Because while that was the last NEW conversation...there was one I forgot from last update :sigh: .

Aideen talks to Brigid (available at the start of Chapter 5):

Aideen: Yes, he killed our dear father, and Mahnya as well. He must have been possessed by something evil to do such unthinkable things.

Brigid: Well, that doesn’t matter ’cause I’m going to kill him! His little killing spree is over. Aideen, you’re with me on this, aren’t you?

Aideen: Brigid...

Brigid: I wish there was another way, but the crimes he has committed weigh heavily on us as well. Look, I may go down for what I’m about to do. I just wanted you to understand my reasons.

Aideen: Yes, Brigid.

I REALLY don't know how I forgot that, but...there you go. Now;

Let's get Holyn closer to the other village...

And let's see what happens.

*GASP* The cavalry has arrived! Literally!

Cuan: I heard Sigurd’s troops are coming south through the Yied Desert. So if we head north, we should meet up with them at some point.

Ethlin: It was so kind of you to agree to help my brother… especially with your father being so sick. But making enemies with a major power like Grandbell… Well, it really concerns me about Lenster’s future.

Cuan: Ethlin, Lenster may be a small country, but it’s a country of warriors. My entire family is descended from the Crusader Noba. In a war of justice there is no loser. My father wants us to give this battle all we’ve got. Ethlin, don’t worry. I have the Gaebolg with me. I’m not going to fall with this at my side. Anyway, I really believe I can help Sigurd out.

Ethlin: …I know you will.

Cuan: Ethlin, we’re in enemy territory now. You better head on back. The fighting may start anytime.

Ethlin: Cuan, I’ve been thinking. I… I’m coming with you. I want to see my brother again, and I just can’t stand to leave your side!

Cuan: No way! You said you were only coming part of the way. That’s why I let you bring Altenna along. Look at her sleeping on your lap. She’s only 3 years old! What would you do if we were suddenly attacked!?

Ethlin: I’ll keep her safe with me!

Cuan: I would have never brought you along in the first place had I known your intentions!

I dunno Cuan. Look what happened when Sigurd tried to get Deirdre to stay put; at least this way, you can keep an eye on her.

Ethlin: But Altenna wouldn’t stop crying… I (sob..) had to bring her! But you’re right… You’re right. I’ll go back.

Cuan: I’m sorry, Ethlin. I know how you feel, but you just gave birth to Leaf, as well. Our children need you. Look, Fin is in charge of Lenster. Please go back and wait for me.

Ethlin: Okay, but let me stay with you a little longer… just a little. Please, Cuan.

PFAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Yeah, I think we know how that ends, don't we :mmmhmm: ?

Cuan: Well… okay, but keep it short.

Yep. He fell for it. Cuan fell for the ol' “foot-in-the-door” technique. You give an inch, you give a mile! Oh that's funn-

:aaa:

Trabant: Let’s bid a fine farewell to Lenster’s Lance Ritter! The desert’s hinderin’ their movement. No way they can put up a fight here! Let’s move! The future of Thracia is in our grasp!

SHOOSHOOTSHOOTSHOOTSHOOTSHOOO-

Ethlin: But… but what about you?

Cuan: Ethlin, they’re like a pack of hyenas. They’ll show no compassion for a child! Thracia has been after our country for quite a while. I left half of our military behind with Fin in case of a surprise attack by Thracia. But I never dreamed they’d come after us… I’ve made a grave miscalculation!

Ethlin: Cuan, don’t give up yet. We can take ’em if we fight together! Now let’s do this!

Cuan: Ethlin… thank you!

Well of course you can beat them. I mean...

Ok, so Cuan's at a pretty severe Move disadvantage; but we can also see that Trabant's men don't have any ranged weapons. And we also saw how pathetic they were in Chapter 3. So Cuan's men still have a pretty decent sho-

...:aaa:...

Horseslayers...they have horseslayers...OF COURSE THEY DO! WHY NOT?! But Cuan's pretty awesome, right?! Surely he can...

Oh... Ooooooooohhh....Trabant's got a Holy Weapon too. A better one, actually.

And Pursuit...and Nihil...and enough Leadership Stars to give himself and anyone nearby +40 Avoid and Hit... Oh, but hey! Ethlin's got the Relive Staff! So even if Cuan takes a beating, he's got himself an ace in the whole! There's no WAY he can lose if he's got healing and Trabant doesn-

...have...that...

Ok, so I guess Alvis lent Trabant his Recover Ring for this one. But hey! It's still two-on-one! It's not as though Trabant's got anyone else-

...with him...?

Guy no-sells everyone except Cuan, 3HKOes Ethlin, cleanly ORKOes all of Cuan's men...and gives +20 Hit and Evade on top of that. So Cuan's clearly not winning this one; not without some help.

In fact, I'm not sure they could do it even if we did everything possible to baby with RNG manipulation and rings and stuff. Trabant is literally immune to critical hits, his men are more than a match for Cuan's, and he's apparently borrowed Alvis's Recover Ring. So what we need to do is get Sigurd off his laurels, and just have him bum rush; BUM RUSH himself ALL the way out...

...theeeeeere... :stonklol:....

AAAA RANKED RUN STATS:

Time Taken This Update: ~42 minutes and 28 seconds

Total Time Elapsed Over the Run: 13 hours, 18 minutes, 6 seconds~

Turns Taken This Update: 29 Turns

Total Turns Elapsed Over The Run: 195 Turns

Levels Gained This Update: 61 Levels

Total Levels Gained: 516 Levels

Things I Regret: In the Prologue, I regret the fact that Noish had to hang back as I rigged levels for Sigurd in the Prologue.

In Chapter 1, I should've brought Midir to guarantee that Kinbois's men would be taken down without issue.

On Chapter 2, I regret the fact that Ardan built up so many love points with Aira even though that pairing's been written out of the route, I regret making that positioning mistake with Fin, and I wish I hadn't made that careless mistake with Sigurd attacking that guard near Boldo (even if it did end up working out). I regret deciding to not just get Deirdre to Level 30 by the end of Chapter 2. I regret wasting something like 12 minutes rigging Aideen a win against Keimos, when it ultimately didn't end up doing much for Jamka anyway. And I could have manipulated Dew's Gold a bit better so that Aira got just 18,000G instead of 22,470G.

On Chapter 3, I regret selling Deirdre's Aura tome! I'll bet she TOTALLY could've kicked Manfloy's butt, if ONLY I hadn't taken that away :gonk: !!

On Chapter 4, I regret not having Claude turn around sooner. I also regret not repairing the Return Staff before giving it to Aideen.

On Chapter 5, I regret not having Dew sit tight after slaying that General; I didn't really accomplish much by moving him around outside, so I probably wasted about a minute or so.

Level 20-30: 45 > 54 HP, 22 > 24 Str, 6 > 7 Mag, 16 > 19 Skl, 12 > 14 Spd, 7 > 11 Lck, 16 > 21 Def, 5 > 6 Res!

Level 26-30: 45 > 47 HP, 17 > 18 Str, 6 Mag, 23 > 24 Skl, 18 > 20 Spd, 11 > 13 Lck, 19 > 20 Def, 5 Res!

Level 7-26: 39 > 57 HP, 17 > 24 Str, 0 > 2 Mag, 6 > 8 Skl, 5 > 8 Spd, 3 > 5 Lck, 14 > 21 Def, 0 Res!

Level 24-30: 46 > 51 HP, 7 > 9 Str, 21 > 23 Mag, 16 Skl, 15 > 16 Spd, 10 > 11 Lck, 11 Def, 11 Res!

Level 29-30: 46 HP, 7 Str, 24 > 25 Mag, 11 > 13 Skl, 21 > 22 Spd, 24 Lck, 5 Def, 12 Res!

Level 24-30: 44 > 46 HP, 17 > 20 Str, 5 Mag, 17 > 20 Skl, 27 Spd, 22 > 25 Lck, 15 > 16 Def, 6 > 7 Res!

Level 22-26: 44 > 47 HP, 20 > 23 Str, 1 Mag, 30 Skl, 26 Spd, 5 Lck, 9 Def, 5 Res!

Level 29-30: 53 > 54 HP, 5 Str, 25 Mag, 27 Skl, 30 Spd, 16 Lck, 10 Def, 17 > 18 Res!

Level 24-30: 49 > 54 HP, 19 > 23 Str, 0 Mag, 27 > 30 Skl, 23 > 24 Spd, 9 > 10 Lck, 17 > 19 Def, 3 Res!

Level 7-8: 33 HP, 3 > 4 Str, 1 Mag, 4 Skl, 13 Spd, 9 Lck, 2(9) Def, 7 Res!

Level 23-26: 51 > 54 HP, 22 > 23 Str, 3 Mag, 26 > 27 Skl, 21 Spd, 5 Lck, 16 Def, 4 Res!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 18, 2016

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Cuan really didn't think this one through and it never fails to amuse me. I get that Trabant pulling the patented Backdoor Wyvern Ambush wasn't expected, but come on, you're in a desert, horses are probably NOT a good idea. Would be great if you had anti-air weapons too. Does Lenster not have Archers?

It's also no wonder Lenster fell so easily if they only have as many soldiers there as we see here.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Not only that, but even without the wyvern ambush, they're still attacking through a desert, on horseback a castle with siege tome equipped mages on platforms his army can't possibly reach. Even if he just wants to reinforce Sigurd he has to run past there getting pelted all the way. What exactly was his plan here?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Wow, that is a rude ambush. Super rude. The difference between those two spears is only icing on the rude cake. Holy poo poo it's so rude it's downright hilarious. Wow. :munch:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Uhh, those are some min-maxed stats, Ardan. That's...that's about all the good I can say for them, but wow, he sure knows what stats he likes.

Also you forgot an [i] tag in the Sigurd/Aira conversation.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Thanks a ton guys; and keep up the patch tidbits, Twikiltri! I find them incredibly interesting.

Anyways, the next update will be tomorrow; it got delayed a bit due to me reworking some strats, but it'll definitely be here before I leave on Friday. That'll be when I go to enjoy Christmas with my extended family, so I HAVE to get it done by Thursday anyway. God bless you all!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Placeholder Post: I wanted to have the update up before 12:00...but then I decided there was something else I needed to do. But it's literally being finished even as we speak.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 23, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think a new page woild be best.
This ones getting cluttered

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

CHAPTER 5: THE END OF GEN 1 (PART 1/2)

Alright guys, we're making this a two-parter. This here's Part 1, and the next one'll be up tomorrow. So buckle down, because things are going to get nuts...

Now, Cuan's got himself in a wee bit of a predicament. This is where I ended things in the last update...

But guess what? This game had other ideas.

Yeah, I'll be honest; I wish this and Trabant's ambush had switched places. Cuan's ambush seems like it was designed to be a really hard, really sudden gut punch to the player. So having yet ANOTHER long-winded scene of exposition with Alvis and Friends immediately after Trabant arrives. I dunno; seems like it kind of breaks the narrative flow.

Reptor: You’re the one who said Sigurd wouldn’t pose any problems! You KNEW Langbart and I sent most of our military off with our sons to subdue other areas. You’ve explicitly gone against your word!

Alvis: Lord Reptor, calm down a second. I already have Velthomer troops positioned in the Yied Desert. And Thracia’s mercenaries should be here shortly. Reptor, as long as you and I engage our armies together, the rebels WILL fall.

Reptor: Alvis, you better be right this time. You can have the throne for all I care. But you best not forget about us once you become king.

Alvis: Don’t worry. When this war is finished, your family will take Agustria. And the Dozel family will take Isaac. Rest assured. Those countries are rightfully yours.

Reptor: Well, alright then. We’ll take on the rebels with all we’ve got.

And there's the REAL reason we occupied Agustria all those years ago. Sure, it was Shagaal himself who declared a war on Grandbell; but you just know that these guys saw an easy opportunity to "pacify" Agustria and "govern" it with "all laws that are deemed necessary and proper". Hence why the Grandbellian governors became "exceedingly reckless, and began to abuse the power they were entrusted with." Why exercise caution when you know that you have no intention of actually leaving?

Of course, indiscretions like this carry their own set of consequences. Like having to put up with this guy.

Alvis: Manfloy? How many times have I told you not to show yourself around here!? All members of your Lopt Sect must stay completely hidden until I’ve taken power!

Manfloy: Yes. You’re too weak to admit our presence, and you let that greedy Reptor and Langbart run all over you! The original plan was to dispose of those two once they proved useless and work through their sons instead!

Alvis: Hmph… Manfloy, I’ll say this once and only once, so listen good. I haven’t the slightest intention of rebuilding your Lopt Empire. I have no problem with your Lopt Sect existing, but I’m not leaving the world in the hands of the Dark Lord. You follow!? I don’t care if I have the Lopt Clan’s blood in me. I have Saint Maira’s blood and he fought for the good of the people. The Fire God Fala is also one of my ancestors. I will use my power to create a world which is free of prejudice. One where all peoples can live without fear of repression! Of course, Sigurd knows way too much. Consider him a sacrifice to the greater good.

"I will create a world where all people are free of repression! Except for anyone who threatens my rule; THEY must be REPRESSED!!"

Manfloy: Hohoho… I assume that greater good includes Deirdre as well! Lord Alvis, you’re afraid, aren’t you. Afraid her memories may be restored!

Alvis: Enough, Manfloy! We-are-in-love. And no one’s going to get in our way!

Manfloy: Hmhmhm… Well, the two of you need to get busy and bear a son. That child is certain to become a magnificent king! Heeheehee...

Ergh..."getting busy"? Was that really in the original script? I gotta know...

Original Script posted:

くくく・・・
はやくお子をもうけられることですな
きっと立派な王になられるでしょう
・・・くくくっ・・・

Basic Translation posted:

Hehehe...
I suppose you'll be having a child soon.
I'm sure he'll grow to be a WONDERFUL king!
Hehehee...

Yeah that's about what I thought. Boo just made a mistake; こと can mean about four different things when used at the end of a sentence, and he thought that Manfroy was giving a command. But, in actuality, he was using it as a way of softening a judgement or statement (otherwise, the statement would have read as "you'll be having a child soon").

Also, MAN! Alvis is being completely different here than he was in the Prologue! There, he was cool, calm, polite, and always very direct. No long-winded speeches, no speaking IN ALL CAPS, no temper tantrums about how he and another man's wife are totally BFF's...the change is stunning.

Except, IS it actually that stunning? One could say that he's changed since coming into contact with Manfloy...but...

Azel: I start to shake just when I’m around Alvis...[H]e always meant more to me than my dad did. But sometimes I feel like I don’t even know him. He can get pretty violent.

That's his own brother speaking right there. And then there's the guy's dad...

Treasure Special Column Designers Notes posted:

Although Victor got his hands on [Azel's mother, not Sigyn/Shigyun] from the momentum of being drunk, when he knew the girl got pregnant he yelled, cursed, used violence, and tried to drive her away. The person who scolded at this was Shigyun [yeah, this translation is kinda stiff], and the very child who this girl got pregnant with was in fact Azel. When Victor died, Azel was just born.

Who then committed suicide after finding out about the affair his wife was having with Prince Kurth. So the Alvis we saw in the Prologue? Probably a VERY different Alvis than the one his closest friends and family will see. Violence and torment seems to have a strong hold on this family.

But enough psycho-analysis; let's meet the Phinorans!

Vaha: This desert can be their grave!

I wouldn't go THAT far...but these guys CAN really ruin your day if you let them.

Yes, I'm incorporating Leadership Star and Castle bonuses into unit stats from now on. Now, that's the magic they'll be flinging every which way...and this is how far they can fling it:

...Owch. That's a minefield if I ever saw one. We're gonna need someone...tanky. Someone...who can resist their Sleep staves and take a magic blast to the face, like it ain't no thang. Where can we find someone like that? Let's find out!

Well, after Fury takes a hit from this guy I mean.

Not good enough Fury. I need someone 20+ Resistance to handle THIS job!

But we'll worry about that later. For now, I have Sigurd guard the castle; he'll want to buy some stuff before he can go to Phinora.

Fury then Returns Ardan to Zaxon, where he can finish his leveling...

And then flies toward Velthomer. Not Zaxon; Velthomer. The game WANTS you to use Fury to dispatch those Meteo users, but I have something far grander in mind.

:sigh: . Ardan...

Ok, I'll be fair here. Those promotion gains...aren't actually that bad. The stat boosts leave something to be desired, but Ardan also gets 1-2, WTA on whoever he needs it on, the ability to ORKO flying units, and even a 20%+ chance of nullifying any attack that hits him. Combine that with his absurd Defense and HP, and you've got a pretty useful unit on your hands!

Except, we already got that from Cuan...and Lex...and Sigurd...and that's not even mentioning his laughably bad 5 Move. It's just too little, too late for this poor dude. There's just nothing he can do that's worth the hassle of training him.

Ergh, let me rephrase that. There's nothing he can do outside of an AAAA Rank Run that can justify his use. In one though?

He's pretty decent! I'd prefer it if he could more reliably survive his 1st wave of Slaydar's men, but oh well. It's hard to complain about 28 free levels ;) .

This isn't the last time we'll be using Ardan this chapter, but it's the last time he'll ever need the Elite Ring, or any of that other swag.

Best give it to our OTHER winners!

:keke:

Turn's almost over. But before we end things, Holyn will be wanting that Bargain Ring.

This here's the reason why Sigurd spends a turn at Lubeck. Holyn can't buy these two items AND the Elite Ring on the same turn, so he can't get to Level 30 until next Player Phase. I WANT Sigurd to give that Elite Ring to his son, so I'm not willing to move on till Sigurd's got it.

Speaking of moving on...

:ohdear:

:stonk:

Well, things aren't looking good for them. Good thing the YELLOW guys can't get us, huh?

Now then, we've got two more guys to train before we can blitz through the rest of the Chapter.

First is Jamka. He's got a rougher path to victory than the Uber Hero Sword users, so beat the first three opponents with the Hero Bow...

Save...

Switch to the Killer Bow for this guy...

Save, and hope that the next warrior...

Doesn't critkill you before you can...

Save...

And breath a sigh of relief if you can get past Nazarl, because the guy after him is significantly easier.

There we go!

Now, Jamka's son, Lester, is going to have a harder time leveling than Brigid's son, and those two are the only Gen 2 archers. May as well buy Jammy everything I can!

And then help Holyn do the same thing!

After getting through the Arena, of course.

These animations are so great. They're so over the top :allears: !

But back to Holyn; I mentioned in the War Room that his daughter is going to be our next Dew. Like him, she is going to be dispensing money to EVERYONE in her Generation. But she can also get WALLED by the Arena in the same way Dew can. So we want her inheriting as much stuff from her father as possible!

So that's why I'm going out of my way to get him as much money as possible. And that's ALSO why...

I had Lachesis clear the Arena! Her daughter is a staff wielder, but her son is a melee combat unit.

Hence, we want her husband getting whatever Holyn doesn't get; gotta help our weaker Gen 2 units out!

Speaking of Inheritance...

Surprise! That Elite Ring's going to SIGURD of all people! Yes, Sigurd's son, Celice, doesn't start out quite as strong as Sigurd himself. In fact, he starts as a foot unit instead of a mounted unit; he's not gonna get a horse until Level 20! However, only he can capture castles, and he will eventually promote into the same class as his father. Therefore, Celice will save FAR more turns with the Elite and Leg Rings than anyone in Gen 2 ever could!

Now back to the game; we want to fix the Tyrfing. But each point of durability costs 1000G, and we only need two of them. So I spent all the money I had repairing the Light Sword...

Got 2500G by beating the first two Arena fighters...

And THEN fixed up the Tyrfing! It's offensive parameters are really good...

But it's defensive parameters are out of this world!

Look at these stats guys; look at them! +20 Resistance! And the Barrier Ring makes 25+ Resistance! That's MORE than enough for Vaha and her goons!

Still won't save Cuan though :sigh: .

Yep. This is the end. No chance of survival for these two.

Only Sigurd can see his men through to the end.

In fact, he's one of the ONLY ones who's going to be doing much of anything for the rest of this update. Everything else...

Well, Holyn needs the village, and Fury's getting closer to where I need her to go, but...everything else is already done.

Grandbell used to be a peace loving country, but things have changed. They’ve been sending troops to each and every nation with the intention of overthrowing them. Prince Kurth would never have allowed any of this if he were around. Please do something! Please return to Grandbell and remove those who are responsible for all this!

Ah, and there's that to do as well.

Anyways...

Farewell, Ethlin. Your Staff Spamming made the EXP rank that much easier.

Trabant: You tell ‘im to hand over the Gaebolg, otherwise the little girl gets it. Heh heh… Cuan, whatcha gonna do?

Cuan: He can have the drat Gae Bolg, but he better not lay a finger on Altenna!

Another one of my favorite lines from this game :( ...

Yep; Cuan wasn't kidding when he said they could have the Gae Bolg. The A.I. is set to always kill Ethlin first, and Cuan will literally throw down his weapon and die. Like the Thracians needed EVEN MORE of an advantage.

Trabant: There’s a nice reward on their heads, so don’t let a single one slip by ya.

Magorn: Yes sir. What shall we do with the child? She won’t stop crying, and… um… none of the men know quite how to handle a child. Should I off her?

"Is THAT what you do with children? Hoo ugh, this is so confusing"

Trabant: No, give her to me. I’m takin’ her an’ the Gaebolg back to Thracia with me.

Magorn: This is unexpected. Why would you want to take her back to Thracia?

Trabant: Shut up! This ‘as got nothin’ t’do with ya! So keep yer trap shut.

Magorn: Ah, f, forgive me. I will… ah, lead the troops in pursuit of Sigurd then.

Trabant: Yeah, ya do that!

Ooooh, Trabant... wowww. He's got like, depths...and stuff :nallears: .

Alright, that's it for Trabant. We won't be hearing anymore from him for a while, so, keep that last bit of dialogue in mind.

The Meteo mages technically take more shots at Sigurd, but, they aren't a concern.

BOOP! There goes the first Phinoran!

And these pack of idiots are now flying toward Sigurd. But we're not worrying about them right now; they aren't that big an issue.

'Course, Vaha ain't any big thing either.

Nothing they do can harm Sigurd now.

Now let's put them out of their misery.

See that Prayer Sword? That's why we need 2 Tyrfing uses instead of 1. Otherwise, we'd get trolled by Prayer.

Alright, let's put these guys out of their misery.

Sigurd: Oifaye… Celice… I wonder how they’re doing...

Welcome. You must be Sir Sigurd.

Sigurd: It’s unfortunate your town got caught up in the middle of all this.

Well, it can’t be helped. We just heard about another skirmish in the desert’s south end.

And then...silence.

...while coming north. Word is none of Lenster’s knights survived.

Sigurd: …are you sure about that!?

TV Tropes posted:

Funny Aneurysm Moment: A "funny aneurysm" moment is when a scene, joke, or offhand line that was originally meant to be funny or lighthearted becomes cringeworthy due to the unfortunate and/or traumatic events in future installments/episodes of a work or in real life...A "funny aneurysm" is an oxymoron since having an aneurysm isn't funny.

Granted, a lot of this SEEMS like it would have happened regardless of whether or not Deirdre had come...but...holy cow man! We talk about the light of the end of the tunnel, but...can his victory possibly be worth the sacrifices he had to make? I dunno, but I guess we'll find out in Part 2, won't we?

For now though...let's slow down a bit. There's are reams and REAMS of lover conversations that are unlocked by conquering Phinora, and even a secret event that we didn't go over yet. So...here you go. Consider this the intermission before the exciting conclusion to Fire Emblem 4: Generation 1.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 23, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

NOTE: For anyone wondering why this took so long...it's because I had to MANUALLY figure out the OST that plays for every single one of these! I forgot to account for that, hence...the update taking 3 hours to come even after I was supposedly "putting the finishing touches" on it.

ARDAN'S DECISION (+5 SKILL; Activates at any point in Chapter 5, but only if Ardan has lover)

Ardan: Heh… I got married and got a kid! My family’s gotta come first, so I best not be dyin’. What’s dis ole book sittin’ here. Hmph… Dis is all gibber gabber. Eerrrr… mmmmnugh! What da… Wow! I feel all my senses done renovated!

ALEC & NOISH (probably not triggerable in-game, according to Serenes Forest. So I'm just guessing at what the music woulda been)

Alec: Noish, this is it, huh?

Noish: Mmm.

Alec: Hey, uh… I just wanna thank you for everything.

Noish: Sure thing. Same goes here, Alec.

Alec: It’s been a blast, huh?

Noish: Yep.

Alec: Well, take care then.

Noish: Yep. You too.

PHINORAN LOVER CONVERSATIONS

TILTYU WITH LEX (Wherein Lex acknowledges that the two married after like...two months):

Tiltyu: Lex, you just have t’fight, don’t ya.

Lex: Hey! You get to Silesia where you’ll be safe.

Tiltyu: You’re so cruel! You want me t’go all alone.

Lex: Hey, everyone in the Freege family is breakin’ their back lookin’ for you, girl. And I don’t want my kids goin’ with them or the Dozels. You understand me!?

Tiltyu: Yeah, but...

Lex: Look, we’ve both been dealt a crappy hand. I wish we could’ve been together longer. I will cherish every single moment we had.

Tiltyu: Oh, Lex...

TILTYU WITH CLAUDE:

Tiltyu: Claude, what should I do?

Claude: Well, you certainly can’t fight your father’s army. Go to Silesia. You’ll be safe there.

Tiltyu: But what are you going to do?

Claude: Well, it’s my duty to see this war out.

Tiltyu: How could you! Just how am I to raise our children without you!?

Claude: I know it is difficult, but please understand.

Tiltyu: …Claude!

TILTYU WITH AZEL (Azel tells a VERY insensitive joke):

Tiltyu: Azel, don’t go!

Azel: Tiltyu, you promised me you’d head for Silesia. I told you, I’ll come as soon as I can!

Tiltyu: But...

Azel: You can’t fight Freege’s army! What, are you going to kill your own father?

Tiltyu: Well, no, but...

Azel: Good. I’d have second thoughts about someone who’d kill their own dad. You take care of the kids, okay?

Tiltyu: …Azel!

SYLVIA WITH LEVIN (wherein Levin is still regretting his decision):

Sylvia: Hey, Levin!

Levin: Hey, Sylvia. What’s up?

Sylvia: You still like me?

Levin: C’mon. Give me a break, will you?

Sylvia: Well, do ya?

Levin: Yeah, I like you. That’s why we hooked up.

Sylvia: Good! That’s all I wanted to hear! ’cause I looooooove you! You are the only one… for me… Da-la-laa… la-la-laa!

Levin: Sylvia! You mind bringin’ it down a notch?

SYLVIA WITH CLAUDE (where the conversation ends very abruptly):

Sylvia: Claude, you okay?

Claude: Yes, I’m fine. But you cannot stay here. Now get going!

Sylvia: But...

Claude: You can’t stay with us. It’s too dangerous!

Sylvia: …Claude, I love you.

Claude: I love you too, but...

Sylvia: No! I’m not goin’. No way I’m leavin’ your side!

Claude: Sylvia, I can’t allow that! Please understand.

SYLVIA WITH ALEC (the case of the broken condom):

Sylvia: Alec, I’ve been lookin’ all over for ya.

Alec: Sylvia? You can’t be out here! Now get on back to the castle, will ya?

Sylvia: But I was gettin’ all worried ’bout you.

Alec: C’mon, Sylvia. You gotta start actin’ a bit more grown up. You are a full-blown mother now.

Sylvia: Don’t talk to me like you’re my father or somethin’! It was all your fault anyway.

Alec: Hey now! I think the, ah… willingness on both sides led to our little surprise, don’t you?

Sylvia: Yeah, right. Well, hurry back. Leen and I can’t live without ya forever. Okay? You gotta promise!

Alec: Yeah, I promise. I’ll come for you.

LACHESIS WITH NOISH (Surprise! Lachesis has a thing for blonde people):

Lachesis: Noish, wait!

Noish: Lachesis? You’re still here!? I told you to leave for Lenster.

Lachesis: I sent the kids already, but I’m staying to fight.

Noish: Why are you breaking your word with me? The kids need their mother. What if something were to happen to you? And you have King Eltshan’s child to consider, too.

Lachesis: I don’t know where Aless is anymore.

Noish: Well, Sir Sigurd is very concerned about Prince Aless. That boy has lost both of his parents. Aless must mean something to you, as well.

Lachesis: No, it’s just… Ah, nevermind. Look, I am your wife.

Noish: I know you are, and I love you dearly. Don’t you ever forget it.

Lachesis: I won’t. Sorry.

LACHESIS WITH DEW (No, seriously. She REEEALLY has a thing for blond people :stare: ):

Lachesis: Dew, what are you doing here!?

Dew: What gives? I can handle bein’ here now. I’m not the same Dew anymore.

Lachesis: I know. But this next battle isn’t going to be like the others! It’ll be way out of your league, Dew.

Dew: Everyone’s been sayin’ that crap. I’m not a kid anymore!

Lachesis: I can definitely vouch for that, Dew. Heheh… Especially after what we...

Dew: H, hey! You’re gettin’ red there, girl!

Lachesis: Oh, Dew!

Dew: Lachesis, it’s been great bein’ with you. You’re always nice to me.

Lachesis: Same goes to you, Dew.

LACHESIS WITH BEOWULF (Let's use the Bookofholsety script for this one. Beo's pretty vague here, so here's a fresh translation):

Lachesis: Beowulf...

Beowulf: Look, Raquesis. If somethin' happens t'me, I want ya to go to Leonster fer me. Quan's kids are there with Finn. Help em' out where I can't, yeah?

Lachesis: No! You mustn't say such things! If I go to Leonster, you will come with me!

Beowulf: Raquesis...I don't think I've done right by ya.

Lachesis: W-what? Why...?

Beowulf: I knew how ya really felt all along...

Lachesis: ...Oh!

Beowulf: Look after yerself, Raquesis. This was fun while it lasted.

Lachesis: Wait! Beowolf!

FURY WITH NOISH:

Fury: Oh, Noish, I’ve been looking for you!

Noish: Fury, you alright?

Fury: I’m fine.

Noish: Good. Fury, you be careful. You’re no longer caring for just yourself, you know.

Fury: I hope our kids back in Silesia are doing okay, as well. I’m dying to see them again.

Noish: Yep, me too. Let’s get this war over with quickly.

Fury: Yes, let’s do that. Noish, you be careful, too.

FURY WITH LEVIN (At least Fury's MOTHER is alive!):

Fury: So this is it, Levin.

Levin: Yeah. Fury, you keep your promise to me, okay?

Fury: Yes, I’m to return immediately to Silesia. I know.

Levin: Look, I’m not gonna die out here, and you best not go doin’ so either!

Fury: Yes. I can promise that! I’ve had my childhood dream realised. It would be just horrible to die now! I will always be with you.

Levin: Mother’s very anxious to see you again… more than she is me!

Fury: Yes. Well, I just hope I can make my new mother-in-law proud.

URY WITH ARDAN (wherein Ardan done hits his head and loses a hunnerd I.Q. points):

Fury: Ardan, you okay?

Ardan: I’ve had ‘nough of dis stupid desert!

Fury: Heheh! Too bad you can’t ride my pegasus with me out of here.

Ardan: Yeh. If only I’s ’bout a hunnerd pounds lighter.

Fury: Ardan, don’t you get yourself killed, okay?

Ardan: You can bet on dat! I ain’t dyin’. Not after gettin’ someone as perdy as you for my wife! When dis war’s done wit we’s headin’ back t’Silesia. We can open a little veggie stand!

Fury: Yes, that would be just fine with me.

BRIGID WITH MIDIR (Midir assures Brigid of his love):

Brigid: Midir, are you alright?

Midir: Yes, I’m fine. How are you doing, Brigid?

Brigid: I’m fine as long as you’re with me.

Midir: Brigid, I’m very happy I met you and I appreciate everything you’ve done for me.

Brigid: Midir, you sound like you want to break up or something.

Midir: Ah, forgive me. Brigid, I wanted you to understand something.

Brigid: Look, Midir. I know you used to like Aideen. Do you think you’ll be happy with me?

Midir: Of course! Yes, I used to like Aideen… Like. But you are the only one I’ve ever loved.

Brigid: Midir, thanks! Don’t ever leave me.

BRIGID WITH JAMKA (Jamka tries hard to assure Brigid of his love...a little TOO hard :raise: ):

Brigid: Jamka, you okay? You must be beat.

Jamka: Ah… I’m alright. How about you?

Brigid: I’m fine as long as you’re with me.

Jamka: Brigid, you know I don’t want you fighting. You won’t consider calling it quits?

Brigid: No! I will not call it quits! And it’s too late to turn back now, anyway.

Jamka: Alright… alright.

Brigid: Jamka, are you happy with me?

Jamka: Huh?

Brigid: Are you happy with me? Because I know Aideen meant something...

Jamka: Brigid! Would you quit it!? I fell in love with you! And that’ll never change!

Brigid: Ah… S, sorry, Jamka. But I’m glad I asked...

BRIGID WITH ALEC (Wherein Alec tells an insensitive joke):

Brigid: Alec, we’re almost to Barhara.

Alec: Yeah. This is our grand return, huh.

Brigid: I wonder if I’ll be okay returning to the country I was born in. What is Jungby like?

Alec: Ahh… it’s a beautiful place with loads of beautiful women.

Brigid: Alec! I better not catch you cheating on me!

Alec: No way! You’d kill me if I did! Haha...

Brigid: That’s right! Besides, I want to keep you alive now. Your work with me has just begun! And for our children as well… I can’t let you die!

Alec: Don’t worry, I’ve got luck on my side. How else could I get such a beautiful bride!

Brigid: Alec...

AIRA WITH LEX:

Aira: Lex, things are coming to a peak, aren’t they.

Lex:Yep, looks that way. Aira, you are being drat stubborn. Why don’t you go back to Isaac?[/i]

Aira: Why? Because I’m a girl!? Our responsibility to our children is the same in my book.

Lex: Oops… you got me. Sorry. But you had the perfect chance to get out. Our kids are only...

Aira: Yeah, and that’s why we’ll go together, after we finish this war.

Lex: Right… right. C’mon, let’s go!

Aira: Lex, I’m sorry, but this is the only way I know how to be.

Lex: Hahaha! I know. I’m just teasin’. That’s what I like about you, Aira. I don’t know how things are going to turn out, Aira, but I’m in for the long haul.

AIRA WITH HOLYN (Ok... what the heck was he doing in Agustria then?):

Aira: Holyn, things are coming to a peak, aren’t they.

Holyn: Uh...

Aira: Holyn, I’ve got something I want to ask you. Is that alright?

Holyn: Yeah, what is it?

Aira: Why do you look out for me? Is there something you haven’t told me?

Holyn: Aira, I’ve known you since I was a kid. Keeping you safe means everything to me.

Aira: Eh!? Holyn… Hey, you weren’t that boy from...

Holyn: Yep. I’m the son of the lord of Sophara. You stole my heart at a tender young age, Aira.

AIRA WITH ARDAN (wherein Aira is surprised that the man who married her and knocked her up DOES, in fact, love her):

Aira: Ardan, you alright?

Ardan: Whew… I’m beat. This armour’s dang heavy.

Aira: Heh! But you look very manly. I like that about you.

Ardan: Oh! That’s nice of ya t’say.  I like you for bein’ all womanly like.

Aira: Me? Womanly? That’s almost funny.

Ardan: Yeah well, I think so at least. You’re the perdiest girl I can think of.

Aira: Ardan, are you sick or something?

Ardan: I might as well just blurt it out… Aira, I love you.

Aira: What’s that!?

AIDEEN WITH CLAUDE (gives the Rescue Staff to Aideen, and says a line so good that even BookofHolsety was jealous):

Claude: Aideen, this is to be our last battle.

Aideen: Yes, that’s what everyone’s saying.

Claude: Here, you should have this. Help our young soldiers with it.

Aideen: Oh, this is a Rescue Staff. Why me?

Claude: I have yet to speak a word of this, but you being my wife, well… I should probably tell you. This war will end in our defeat. All that is important to us will be lost.

Aideen: …What!?

Claude: I, too, had a difficult time believing the Lord’s words when I was at Blagi Tower. But this is how fate will have it. I also will not likely survive. That’s why I’m entrusting this staff to you.

Aideen: That can’t be true! I don’t believe any of what you’re saying!! Please… tell me it’s not true!

Claude: Aideen, there’s really nothing to be scared of. My death is really just a new beginning. As life embraces death, that with form is lost, yet something still remains. There’s nothing to fear in death. It is merely a transition to a more perfect form.

Aideen: But Claude…!

Claude: Just as I am to die, I shall also be reborn. Look, inside of you is a brand new life and I am a part of it. And that is why you must keep living.

Aideen: How could you! You tell me to keep living while you...

Claude: Aideen, I have been blessed to have met you. Forgive me if I have sounded insensitive.

Aideen: Claude...

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I think... although this might have been from a hack I was playing, I haven't touched FE4 in forever so I apologize if this is incorrect garbage. That there is a miniscule chance that you can get down to save Cuan and Ethlin. I know I've seen them survive, because they go to the next plot-relevant castle to take to take it over. And if they do that you can't complete the chapter.

EDIT: Wasn't forgetting it's just an exploit

quote:

1. Have Byron KILLED by enemy before talking to Sigurd. So that Cuan's knights will be officially under the command of Byron not Sigurd (bug?) and they will be actively attacking Travant dragoons. (instead of passively going north)

2. Since Cuan's knights won't be advancing north as quickly, our reinforcement Fury will need to go the extra mile, get leg ring, and also move twice:
a. Have Rachesis equip Rescue Staff and move down first.
b. Use Rescue to bring Silvia to her.
c. Fury flys as far as Silvia can reach.
d. Silvia dance to Fury.
e. Fury fly down a second time.
Eventually Fury will reach 3 cells above Ethrin (in another turn?)

3. Ethrin's priority is to heal wounded units, so if Fury was 'properly' wounded, Ethrin will go to her aid instead of into the enemy dragoons.

4. Beforehand, raise their stats as high as possible, especially Luck and Speed. :P

5. Make it so that Dragoon leader is killed by Cuan first, so there's no commander effect.

6. Then comes Travant... his HP recovers to full every turn, but he can be easily killed whenever Cuan's Consecutive skill activates.

Here is the research notes

http://www.fireemblem.net/fe/fe4/fe4--research/fe4-alvin-killdking.htm

It's of course, pointless, once you seize the next castle, they disappear.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 23, 2016