Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Fionordequester posted:

Sylvia X Leen was actually really helpful for leveling up Dew.

FE4.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
My usual pairings:

Aira x Holyn (Because nice, snug, worry-free inheritance)

Aideen x Jamke (To train Lester in the art of Shooting A Shitload Of Arrows)

Lachesis x Beowulf (Because Thracia 776 makes it canon, and it's super easy)

Ferry x Levin (Free + Canon + Ced is awesome)

Tiltyu x Azel (Good all round, adorable pairing and it's incredibly easy)

Brigid x Dew (Lower Yewfelle repair costs, Solar helps Patty stay alive, and honor among thieves, after all)

Sylvia x Claud (Staffbot Corple and Sylvia's just a dancer)

Though I'd like to mention FE Binary, a rebalancing hack that's drat good at making a lot more pairings valid thanks to changed classes, modern conveniences, new weapons, and multiple promotion options.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
BTW...I've been meaning to ask you guys.  I actually used the Reparation 0.87g patch for that particular cutscene, for...a particular reason that I will get into in a few days.  I bring this up, because I'd actually been using 0.87d for the entire LP up till now. I literally just NEVER thought to use the latest version till now, but...here it is.

-------------------------

See this here?  These are just some of the many terminology changes that come with the updated patch.  The main script itself is mostly untouched, aside from one particular moment at the end of the last update, and some text boxes that used to have humorous filler text; so that won't be a problem.  And I WILL include the "humorous filler text" even if we switch patches, as I found said text to be extremely amusing...

But what do you guys think?  Do you want to switch over to the modern terminology?  Or just stick with the outdated names we've been using up to this point?  Here's the COMPLETE list of changes, if it helps...

Twikiltri posted:

- Changed SoclKnt to Cavalier to better match standard terminology.
- Changed DrgRider to WyvRider, DrgKnt to WyvKnt, DrgMstr to WyvLord to better match standard use of wyvern over dragon for natural dragons.
- Changed Forrest to Ranger because Forrest was just an attempt to put off that it was just Forest and Forest doesn't make any sense for a class name.
- Changed Armour to LncArmr, AxArmour to AxeArmr, BwArmour to BowArmr, and SdArmour to SwdArmr for symmetry amongst the armours and against the mounted classes which don't have special names.
- Changed MThief to MtnThief.
- Changed LongArc to Ballista, IronArc to IronBal, and KillArc to KillBal to better match standard terminology.
- Changed long versions of all those to match.
- Changed anything which was based on those names to match (such as generic Dragon troops to generic Wyvern troops).

- Changed Continue skill to Adept skill to match standard terminology.
- Changed Prayer skill to Miracle skill to match standard terminology.
- Changed Ambush skill to Vantage skill to match standard terminology.
- Changed Meteor/Lunar/Solar Sword skills to Astra/Luna/Sol Sword skills to match standard terminology (leaving Sword on as the skills only work with swords).
- Changed Life skill to Renewal skill to match standard terminology.
- Changed Elite skill to Paragon skill to match standard terminology.
- Changed anything which was based on those names to match (such as Prayer (Sword) to Miracle (Sword)).

- Changed Soldier skill type to Class skill type and Citizen skill type to Personal skill type because I could.

- Changed Hero weaponary to Brave weaponary to match standard terminology.
- Changed Volcanon tome to Bolganon tome to match standard terminology.
- Changed Meteo tome to Meteor tome to match standard terminology.
- Changed Tron tome to Thoron tome to match standard terminology.
- Changed Storm tome to Bolting tome to match standard terminology.
- Changed Rezire tome to Nosfratu tome to match standard terminology.
- Changed Live staff to Heal staff to match standard terminology.
- Changed Relive staff to Mend staff to match standard terminology.
- Changed Libro staff to Physic staff to match standard terminology.
- Changed Reserve staff to Fortify staff to match standard terminology.
- Corrected Valkyre staff to Valkyrie staff.
- Changed long versions of all those to match, using Bolganone and Nosferatu instead of Bolganon and Nosfratu.
- Changed anything which was based on these names to match (such as Vaha's battle cry).

- Changed abbreviated castle name from McKil to Mack to match map/dialogue.

- Changed option name 'anime' to 'anim'.

- Corrected Serlis's name.
- Corrected Scathach's name once I realised the JP were just-crazy-enough to apply their -ach = ハ formula to a name which is spelled that way despite not necessarily sounding that way.
- Changed Aoife's name as I was on a roll after changing the other two. Ideally it will at least annoy Aoife archetype proponents.
- Corrected Juda (unit name) to Judah (used in dialogue).
- Corrected Funf to Fuenf.
- Corrected Zwolf to Zwoelf.

- Replaced Chapter 9 opening placeholder text with actual text.
- Replaced Edda takeover placeholder text with actual text.
- Changed reference to Repeated Movement in Knight Ring description to reference to Canto to match standard terminology.
- Corrected a couple of malingering uses of Etain (to Aideen) in dialogue.
- Corrected a malingering use of Yurius (to Julius) in dialogue.
- Changed Andre vs Brigid battle conversation to remove redundancy and iffy wording.
- Changed caps style of Julius's outclassed death speech.
- Changed caps style of a number of pieces of all-caps text.
- Altered Knight Ring award dialogue to not reference 'repeated movement'. And to not call it a bracelet because that makes no sense.
- Corrected reference to Rest staff in Restore staff award dialogue.
- Corrected some spelling mistakes.
- Altered final speech in chapter 5.
- Altered reference from 'secret text' to 'secret book' in Hawk special village dialogue.
- Changed dialogue regarding a character being executed at once to say that their execution would be arranged at once since they're clearly not executed yet some time later.
- Altered dialogue regarding the Brave Sword being singular since it clearly isn't.

- Altered toolset to run under SUA. May have broken it running under Cygwin/nix/nux.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 6, 2017

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
Some of those changes seem a bit unnecessary (and two of the name changes they mention look like they were right the first time, but I'm not exactly fluent in German, so I wouldn't quote me on that), but it wouldn't be much of a problem to me. I'd say keep with the ones you've been using, mostly from personal preference.

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013
That was before Awakening came out and changed a bunch of names, so not all of the changes are helpful. I also hadn't played Radiant Dawn yet at that point and didn't realise that they'd confusingly gone back on the Wyvern class name choices.

The deadlord names are supposed to be Fünf and Zwölf. In an ideal world, accented characters to use would have been added to the font, but it had become clear that that was never going to happen, and if the characters aren't available you're supposed to replace 'ü' with 'ue' and so forth unless my information is wrong. I think that at least one of the colour squadrons (Grauer Ritter, etc.) may also be impacted but was already in -e style. (Of course with the colour squadrons you run into the issue of what suffix is supposed to be on the colour which I'm not sure I was ever entirely clear on.) And, of course, the deadlord names were changed to something which isn't numbers in Awakening anyway.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Twilkitri posted:

That was before Awakening came out and changed a bunch of names, so not all of the changes are helpful. I also hadn't played Radiant Dawn yet at that point and didn't realise that they'd confusingly gone back on the Wyvern class name choices.

Hey, give yourself credit for one thing; at least Alvis is STILL called Alvis! He doesn't sound like he was named by pirates, unlike certain OTHER translations :cripes: ...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Twilkitri posted:

The deadlord names are supposed to be Fünf and Zwölf. In an ideal world, accented characters to use would have been added to the font, but it had become clear that that was never going to happen, and if the characters aren't available you're supposed to replace 'ü' with 'ue' and so forth unless my information is wrong. I think that at least one of the colour squadrons (Grauer Ritter, etc.) may also be impacted but was already in -e style. (Of course with the colour squadrons you run into the issue of what suffix is supposed to be on the colour which I'm not sure I was ever entirely clear on.) And, of course, the deadlord names were changed to something which isn't numbers in Awakening anyway.

The annoying thing is, it's trying to apply terminology across games, which is good, but also bad because in the case of FE4/5 those mounts ARE dragons. They don't have manaketes to compare to. They're Wyverns in Awakening onwards because they're actually wyverns. I get so annoyed with this change, because there are cases like FE8, which it's clear the creatures the regular flying knights of Grado are supposed to be riding are 'dragons' and then there's the class changed Wyvern Knight which is riding a different creature entirely.

I realize it's extremely weird to get hung up on when "FalcoKnights' aren't riding about on giant Falcons but... I dunno. It ticks me off with the fan communities more.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Honestly, the biggest sticking point that makes me want to suggest just keeping with the original mistranslations is Serlis. I got so used to Celice before awakening and Seliph afterwards that I think that we should just keep the mistranslations.

Also Aoife/Oifaye/Oifey too for the same reason. Especially because we've been calling him Oifaye in the story up to now.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Please don't suddenly call characters by romanized names no one uses. Using the current terminology is fine but romanizing stupidly for the sake of it is bad, be it from a fan or from an official translation (hi, War of the Lions).

Also changing anime is an insult to this very anime franchise.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Senerio posted:

Honestly, the biggest sticking point that makes me want to suggest just keeping with the original mistranslations is Serlis. I got so used to Celice before awakening and Seliph afterwards that I think that we should just keep the mistranslations.

Also Aoife/Oifaye/Oifey too for the same reason. Especially because we've been calling him Oifaye in the story up to now.

I agree with this, especially on the 2nd gen lord's name. Celice looks perfectly fine, and Seliph is, well, official.... but Serlis has always looked unusual to me, and not in a good way. As for the tactician kid, that's the first I've ever even seen Aoife; Oifaye and Oifey are the most common things I see for him.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Please use the version with the names you've been using up until now. Whether the new names and terms are better or worse is less important than the fact that switching them around halfway through the thread would look awful.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I agree, switching now would be bad. Besides, it doesn't matter if the names are not consistent with the other FE games.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Well, the people have spoken! Reparation 0.87d it is then!

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I know the issue is resolved, but I always preferred 'Volcanon' to 'Bolganon'. It's a volcano, it's a cannon, it's Volcanon. Also liked Tron better, too, but that was just the euphony of the word rather than a clever portmanteau.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Now I'm no expert on romanizarion, but I've had this gut feeling that Azel was supposed to be Axel. Maybe it's just me, however.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 31, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Junpei posted:

Now I'm no expert on romanizarion, but I've had this gut feeling that Azel was supposed to be Axel. Maybe it's just me, however.

No it was absolutely meant to be Azel

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Onmi posted:

No it was absolutely meant to be Azel

Whoa now, let's not be too flippant here; Junpei asked a good question! And I think it deserves a good answer! Now, I took a look at a Kingdom Hearts character named "Axel", and this is his Japanese name...

アクセル (A - KU - SE - RU)

Note that the "U" in both of those vowels are usually silent; which means that his Japanese pronunciation is basically the same as his English pronunciation. Now let's look at Azel's name...

アゼル (A - ZE - RU)

So there you have it; "Azel" is a direct translation of the guy's name. And "Axel" is spelled with a different set of characters than what Axel's got; so that's that! Question answered!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright guys, the Gen 1 wrap-up has begun! Every hour or two, I'm going to post something in an attempt to address ALL the Gen 1 stuff that the game itself never directly addresses. No, don't worry, there's no major spoilers for Gen 2; all we're doing is filling in the blanks for Gen 1. As Onmi said, the game designers never got the chance to include everything they wanted to include in the actual game, so that's why these mini-updates are here.

So let's start this off with a bang, shall we?

WHAT THE HECK WAS BEO TALKING ABOUT IN CHAPTER 5? (A.K.A.: Nanna's true father)

So here's the deal, just for anyone who's not in the know. Lachesis is something of a running joke within the FE4 community, for a wide variety of reasons. First and foremost, the feelings she expresses for her brother in Chapter 2 go beyond just a li'l sister having a crush on her big brother; one of the conversations in Gen 2 outright confirm that she WAS, indeed, in love with her brother. In that way. So that's one strike against her.

The OTHER main strike against her is the Beo and Lachesis convo, and it's implications. Let's take a look at it again, shall we?

quote:

LACHESIS WITH BEOWULF:

Lachesis: Beowulf...

Beowulf: Look, Raquesis. If somethin' happens t'me, I want ya to go to Leonster fer me. Quan's kids are there with Finn. Help em' out where I can't, yeah?

Lachesis: No! You mustn't say such things! If I go to Leonster, you will come with me!

Beowulf: Raquesis...I don't think I've done right by ya.

Lachesis: W-what? Why...?

Beowulf: I knew how ya really felt all along...

Lachesis: ...Oh!

Beowulf: Look after yerself, Raquesis. This was fun while it lasted.

Lachesis: Wait! Beowolf!

You'll note that Beowulf explicitly mentions Fin here, for some reason. Why is he doing that? Well... maybe the intro from FE5 will shed some light on things. It covers a lot of stuff that happened between Gen 1 and Gen 2, so, here you go. Credits to Cake Attack for creating the images I use in these next two blocks of text...

quote:

As ages passed and the 12 Crusaders became the talk of legends, a great rebellion arose and spread throughout the Land of Judgral.

While on the march through the Yied Desert, Cuan and Ethlin are suddenly attacked by the Thracian army and die far from their homeland.

Though King Lenster fights valiantly while grieving the loss of his sons he, too, meets a bitter end betrayed by his allies the Conote army.

The entire army of Thracia seizes upon this chance and assaults Lenster's castle.

As Lenster's army fights bravely in the face of merciless defeat one young knight, Fin, escapes with Prince Leaf [Leaf is the son of Cuan and Ethlin; Cuan mentioned that Ethlin had recently given birth to him in Chapter 5, right before Trabant ambushes them.]

As Leaf gazes up at the castle cradles in Fin's arms, can he even begin to understand the terrible sight that meets his eyes?

So there we go; more bad stuff happening in the land of Jugdral. Guess Trabant wasn't satisfied just killing Cuan and Ethlin. And NOW we get to the bit about Beowulf's kids...

quote:

After escaping with his life from the collapsing Lenster Castle, Leaf, together with his loyal knight Fin and his daughter Nanna, proceeded to defeat the-

WHOA HO HO THERE! So Nanna is FIN'S daughter now?! B, but...he's not even one of her pre-destined pairings! He doesn't even get a special conversation with her at any point! No conversations that boost their Love Points, no obscenely high love growths...no nothing. In fact, he and Lachesis are infamously hard to pair up due to them only sharing two chapters together...so wait, was this just something Thracia 776 invented after the fact?

Maybe...except, FE4 DOES also have a special conversation between Fin and Nanna if you DID pair him with Lachesis...

quote:

NANNA WITH FIN:

Fin: Nanna, how’re you holding up?

Nanna: I’m fine, father. You don’t need to worry about me.

Fin: Your strong determination reminds me more of Lachesis each passing day, Nanna.

Nanna: Father, if you loved mother so much, how could you have let her go all by herself!?

Fin: To Isaac? Nanna, I’ve asked you before not to bring that up. …That’s between your mother and I.

Nanna: But…

Fin: You’ll understand someday. Just wait till you’re a little older.

So there you have it. Now, does Fin get any special conversations with any of the OTHER Gen 2 children? Yes...kind of...he has talks with Aideen's daughter and Aira's daughter too. But, it's immediately evident that there wasn't nearly as much time and care put into their conversations as there was with his talk with Nanna...

quote:

LANA WITH FIN:

Fin: Who are you?

Lana: I’m Lana. You’re Fin, right?

Fin: You…

Lana: What’s the matter? Please don’t look at me like that. You’re embarrassing me!

Fin: Ah, forgive me. You just remind me so much of someone I once knew.

Lana: I do?

Fin: Yes. Don’t take this the wrong way, but you are the spitting image of a woman I once loved.

Lana: I see. Were you two a couple?

Fin: Yes, but we got separated during the war, and I haven’t seen her since.

Lana: Oh, how sad… What was the woman’s name?

Fin: Aideen… You’re the first I’ve met to parallel her beauty.

Lana: Aideen!? That’s my mother!

quote:

LAKCHE WITH FIN:

Fin: Who are you?

Lakche: Hm? I’m Lakche.

Fin: This can’t be…

Lakche: What’s the problem? Hey, don’t look at me like that. You’re embarrassing me!

Fin: Ah, forgive me. You just remind me so much of someone I once knew.

Lakche: I do?

Fin: Yes. Don’t take this the wrong way, but you are the spitting image of a woman I once loved.

Lakche: Oh. So were you two a couple?

Fin: Yes, but we got separated during the war, and I haven’t seen her since.

Lakche: Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. What was her name?

Fin: Aira… You’re the first I’ve met to parallel her beauty.

Lakche: …Aira? You sure about that!?

So really, these conversations only exist because the writers felt the need for two other Talk options for Fin. Fin and Nanna is the one they put the actual thought into; so does this mean that Fin is Nanna's biological father? IT seems like that might be the case; after all, FE5 happened. FE5 seems to have made the pairing canon. And if THAT'S the case, does that mean Lachesis was CHEATING on Beowulf?! And THAT'S why he was all "I've known yer true feelings all along"?! Well...that's how many fans took it. Lachesis doesn't just have the hots for her brother; now she's sleeping around on top of it all!

Or is she? Me personally, I think the above theory is wrong, for several reasons. First of all, it goes against the character of both Fin and Lachesis, who are both generally portrayed as being very good people. Secondly, Lachesis doesn't even have any Talk or Lover conversations with Fin! She talks to Dew and Beo once in Chapter 2, talks to Eltshan in Chapter 3, and then has a Lover conversation with Dew, Noish, and Beo in Chapter 5; that's it. And finally, I've done some digging around. And word-of-mouth seems pretty consistent on two points...

quote:

1) Early versions of Nintendo's official website have directly stated that Beowulf is the canon father of both Delmud and Nanna.

2) The 20th Anniversary Artbook stated that the father of Nanna is "whoever you paired Lachesis with". While that's more ambigous than the above statement, it still doesn't leave room from two fathers

Now, do I have actual links to give you? I...do not, unfortunately. It could all just be rumors and misinformation; so until someone can provide a link confirming either of those two statements, we'll never know for sure.

However, there are other points to consider. For example, FE5 has a "mother and daughter" relationship in the form of two characters named "Mareeta" and "Eveyle". However, it then reveals that Eveyle actually ADOPTED Mareeta; the two aren't actually biologically related. And yet, the game still constantly refers to Mareeta as Eveyle's "daughter"; so it could very easily be the same for Fin and Nanna. So instead, I posit an alternate theory that I found online:

Beowulf wasn't referring to any romantic feelings Lachesis had for Fin. He was ACTUALLY referring to Lachesis's incestuous feelings for her brother Eltshan. She was on the rebound after Eltshan's death, and that was why she latched onto Beowulf. Eltshan had already assigned him to be her protector, he was strong like her brother, he was blond like her brother, he was a sword-wielder like her brother, and most importantly, he was one of her brother's best friends. Remember?

quote:

LACHESIS AND BEOWULF:

Beowulf: Er… sorry. Beowulf’s the name. I’m just a mercenary, ma’am.

Lachesis: So what do you want?

Beowulf: Uh… I just came to tell you this is for real out here. This ain’t no fun’n games. And you inexperienced types ain’t makin’ things easy for the rest of us. Besides, this ain’t no place for a princess. Why don’t you get on back to your castle?

Lachesis: Where do you get off speaking to me like that!? What I do out here is no business of yours!

Beowulf: Heh heh… tough little cookie, ain’t ya. Remind me a bit of Eltshan.

Lachesis: Wait! You know my brother?

Beowulf: Sure do. We go way back. Don’t mean t’be so nosy, but he asked me t’check up on ya.

Lachesis: Oh, I didn’t realise. I’m sorry.

Beowulf: S’alright. Eltshan also asked me t’teach you a bit about warfare. How ’bout it?

Lachesis: That’d be great!

So not only are Beowulf and Eltshan old friends; Eltshan ALSO trusts Beowulf enough to look after his little sister. Know what that means? It means that Beowulf could very well be privvy to details about Eltshan's private life that may not have been as flattering as most would have liked. And again, we've seen a pattern of Lachesis glomping herself onto blonde sword-wielders in Chapter 5; and who better than the very man that Eltshan hired to protect her? The one who apparently went "way back" with him?

Plus, it also ties back into why Beowulf would want her to go to Lenster to start with. Because as we learn in Lachesis's conversation with Noish, Eltshan's son happens to be there...

quote:

LACHESIS WITH NOISH:

Lachesis: Noish, wait!

Noish: Lachesis? You’re still here!? I told you to leave for Lenster.

Lachesis: I sent the kids already, but I’m staying to fight.

Noish: Why are you breaking your word with me? The kids need their mother. What if something were to happen to you? And you have King Eltshan’s child to consider, too.

Lachesis: I don’t know where Aless is anymore.

Noish: Well, Sir Sigurd is very concerned about Prince Aless. That boy has lost both of his parents [either this was a mistranslation, or it got retconned. Eltshan sent both his wife, "Grahnye", and Aless to Lenster, and Grahnye didn't end up dying till sometime after Lachesis got there]. Aless must mean something to you, as well.

Lachesis: No, it’s just… Ah, nevermind. Look, I am your wife.

Noish: I know you are, and I love you dearly. Don’t you ever forget it.

Lachesis: I won’t. Sorry.

So Prince Aless, the son of one of Beowulf's best friends, is now in Lenster; Beowulf is naturally going to be just a teensy bit concerned about him. Which raises the question: "Why did Eltshan send Aless and Grahnye there to start with?" Well, first of all, Grahnye originally came from Lenster according to the FEWiki...

quote:

Grahnye is Eldigan's wife and the mother of Ares [probably Aless's real name, but oh well], and was a citizen of Leonster before marrying her husband.

And guess who ELSE happens to be from Lenster, and is ALSO one of Eltshan's best friends? I'll give you a hint; he's also one of Sigurd's best friends, and the below quote has one bolded line that I want you to pay very close attention to!

quote:

CUAN AND SIGURD:

Cuan: We heard about your skirmish with Verdane. We’re here to fight.

Sigurd: How about Lenster? Don’t you have Thracia to keep an eye on?

Cuan: We do. That’s why I only brought Fin. My father took command of the Lance Ritter.

Sigurd: I see...Geez, sorry to drag you in to all of this, Cuan.

Cuan: Sigurd! Did you already forget about our pact?

Sigurd: Huh?

Cuan: Remember the academy? We all met at the military academy back in Barhara. It was the three of us. You, me, and Eltshan. We were talking late that one night. And we took a vow to help each other out if one of us was ever in a bind.

Sigurd: That’s right. No...I haven’t forgotten.

Cuan: Ok, then. Let’s get to work and rid yourself of this little nuisance. Don’t forget, Sigurd. I’m always here for you. Especially in times like these.

Did you get that audience? Cuan and Eltshan are best buds! They literally swore to help each other in times of crisis! And what better way for Cuan to honor that pledge than to have his family and soldiers look after Eltshan's wife and child? Yes, he most likely acted as Aless's babysitter; and Fin just so happened to stay behind while he and Ethlin came to aid Sigurd. In other words...

There was absolutely nothing going on between Lachesis and Fin at the time Beowulf had that conversation with her. The only reason he mentioned Fin was because he just so happened to be stationed at Lenster. Cuan and Ethlin already got butchered by the time they had this conversation, and Fin was the only one left. He sent her to Fin because he, Cuan's loyal knight, was the only remaining person in Lenster.

However, that said, Lachesis and Fin DID eventually end up together. Because as Nanna asks in their conversation...

Nanna: Father, if you loved mother so much, how could you have let her go all by herself!?

So the two did become an item. I guess Fin was awesome enough to break Lachesis out of her "blonde-haired sword users" phase. So, to sum it all up...

quote:

1) Cuan is best buds with Eltshan, and is from Lenster.

2) Grahnye is Eltshan's wife, and she ALSO comes from Lenster.

3) Eltshan asks Beowulf, one of his OTHER best buds, to protect Lachesis.

4) Eltshan sends Grahnye and Aless to live under the protection of the Lenster Royal Family during the war between Grandbell and Agustria.

5) Eltshan dies, and Lachesis ends up on the rebound. Beowulf knows this, but chooses to accept her love anyway.

6) Cuan and Ethlin die by Trabant's hand.

7) Beowulf is aware of Aless and Grahnye's current plight, and also realizes that Fin is the only one alive to care for them.

8) Beowulf tries to get Lachesis to go there as well, but Lachesis refuses. It's at this point that...

9) Beowulf admits that he knows the REAL reason why Lachesis loves him; she's on the rebound from Eltshan, and he just so happens to be similar to him in some ways.

10) Beowulf dies, Lachesis goes to Lenster, and lives under Fin's protection.

11) Sometime later, she and Fin fall in love, and Fin adopts her and Nanna as his own [Delmud got separated from Lachesis before she got to Lenster]. After that...

12) Lachesis goes by herself to Isaac, and disappears for reasons that will be covered later.

There's also something about how there's a "Beo Sword" in FE5 that only Delmud and one of Beowulf's other (likely) sons can use. Nanna can't use it, so some take that as confirmation that Nanna is not Beo's child. But...there's no in-universe reason as to why the Beo Sword can only be used by Delmud and Fergus (the name of Beo's other likely son). And if we're going to go by game mechanics logic, then the argument fails even there. For example...

quote:

1) There's also an FE5 weapon called the Blaggi Sword; and only Leaf, Nanna, Delmud, and Fergus can use it. Does that mean ETHLIN was sleeping with Beo as well?! Was ETHLIN the true mother of Nanna, Delmud, and Fergus?!

2) Holy cow, Nanna, Delmud, and Fergus can ALL use the same sword, while other units can't! Does that mean they DO have the same father?!

3) Even if we ignored the above two points, we still don't even know WHY the Beo Sword is unique to Fergus and Delmud. The item description never says anything besides "Delmud Only"; and he and Fergus also but those two also happen to be the only two playable Free Knights in FE5. Perhaps the sword is also locked to the "Free Knight" class; Nanna could have been disqualified just out of virtue of being a "Troubador"? Or maybe it's just locked to the men? And Nanna can't use it because she's a woman? Maybe she fulfilled one requirement, but didn't fulfill another one.

And that, as they say, is that. Any questions or counter-arguments :) ?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 31, 2016

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
FE5 weapon locks always were total crap considering the Thief and Unlock staves that only one character on your side can use but any of the pesky enemy Bishops can abuse as they like.

Also...

quote:

Eltshan hired [Beowulf] to protect her?

I want my money back, Beowulf!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ephraim225 posted:

FE5 weapon locks always were total crap considering the Thief and Unlock staves that only one character on your side can use but any of the pesky enemy Bishops can abuse as they like.

Also...

I want my money back, Beowulf!

Agreed. FE5 in general was kind of bullshit. It's not that what they were doing was bad, it's just the sequels ironed out a lot of the problems with it, and made us take them for granted.

Beowulf probably took a Meteor for her at Barharra (Which my casual interest in mythology raises an eye at, because I think that should be Valhalla) so she could live.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Junpei posted:

Beowulf probably took a Meteor for her at Barharra (Which my casual interest in mythology raises an eye at, because I think that should be Valhalla) so she could live.

Yep, that's right! You are right on the money in regards to that!

And now it's time for some miscellaneous dialogue quotes that most people won't know about unless you dig around for them. First is the Demo Reel at the start of the game (translated by Bookofholsety)!

FE4 HIDDEN DEMO REEL SCENES (GEN 1):

First of all, note the brand new Title Screen in Bookofholsety's patch...

Pretty neat, eh? And if you wait on that screen long enough...

You start getting all these scenes from various parts of the game! They're all somewhat generic at first...but remember how FE6 and FE9 allowed you to unlock different Trial Map characters every time you cleared the game? Well, THIS Fire Emblem does the same thing; except, instead of unlocking characters, you unlock scenes in the demo reel. We'll see every non-spoilerific scene in a few screenshots; but for now.

We'll stick to the ones we usually get. This one plays immediately after the scene with the Pegasus Knights (who are flying around the Chapter 8 map). It is then followed by...

The very first random Battle scene you get. This is one of the two that you automatically start with; if you have NEVER beaten the game before, you will always get this one first. There are 15 others "1st Battle Scenes" that you can get, along with 16 "2nd Battle Scenes" that can play before the Demo Reel ends. You'll keep unlocking them one-at-a-time after every time you beat the game. Beat the game all 15 times, and the game will randomly select a "1st Battle Scene" and a "2nd Battle Scene" from two separate lists.

Fortunately, I don't need to beat the game 15 times, for I have discovered the Address that kept track of that number! Just bunch in the number 15 in my emulator, and viola; instant unlocks! Next up...

We have credits featuring the world famous SUPER ADVISOR HIMSELF!! I don't know what the heck a "super advisor" does, but it sounds awesome. And then...

Surprise! That one scene from Chapter 1! Except THIS time, Shanan's gained a habit of repeating himself, repeating himself, repeating himself...

More credits...

And then we get to another kind of random scene; the "1st Map Battle". In addition to getting one random "1st Battle Scene" and one random "2nd Battle Scene" each time you enter the Demo Reel, you'll also get a "1st Map Battle" and a "2nd Map Battle". However, I wasn't able to get all of them, as THAT entails getting an AAAA Rank, and I lost the file that had that.

Fortuntately, these ones aren't quite as interesting anyway; they just feature some occasionally nifty stuff like Sigurd vs. Langbart, Gandolf vs. Midir, Cuan vs. Eltshan...and etc., etc. No dialogue though; so we're not missing anything.

Not that the credits themselves are terribly interesting, but oh well. We got...

Eltshan and Lachesis! Hey dudes, I was just talking about you!

And now we've got our 2nd Battle Scene...

This is the generic "2nd Battle Scene" that all first time players get. Once again, the fifteen others must be unlocked by beating the game 15 times; and once again, they're all more interesting than this one (though I do wonder how that Dragonmaster's only got 16 Might with a 20 Might weapon...).

Next up, an Assistant who apparently has five different alter egos :mmmhmm: ...

One of the sixteen other "2nd Map Battles" (though I don't have a clue who the blue guy is; there are no bard units in Gen 2)...

And there's the semi-final scredits. Once that plays...

We see Alvis summoning all chefs in the Barhara BBQ.

DARN YOU, YOU STUPID DASTARD :argh: !!

[Oh, and there's our last credit; Gunpei Yokoi himself. He used to be a very important figure in Nintendo, but then died in a tragic accident. You can thank him for the Gameboy, among many other things. And apparently, he was also a close friend to Shozou Kaga; I don't know if his death in 1997 was one of the factors that pushed Kaga to leave the company in 1999, but, maybe Onmi can shed some light on that.

Anyway, let's look at some of the OTHER "Battle Scenes", shall we?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alec and Noish! ...With far too much dialogue for textboxes that were clearly meant to only last a second or so.

Seriously, this is NOT my fault! I did not push a single button, nor did I have the game going at a faster speed!

No...I think I briefly mentioned this at some point in the thread, but I don't like Bookofholsety's script as much as I like Boo's script.

The official NoA localizations are great, it's nice to have 100% translated text for once, the font looks good, and I'm sure there were plenty of mistakes made in the 2002 patch...

But it's just too dang wordy!

Look at this! Bookofholsety crammed so much dialogue into the above scene, that you barely have time to read any of it! The guy shrunk the font size to about 75% of what we have in the Reparation patch, and it STILL almost filled up the textbox!

And not all of it is even good dialogue either; a lot of it seems like filler that would have been ironed out by an editor had he had one.

For example, "Ayra! Ayra, don't go! Don't give in to these guys! Don't let them boss you around!" should have just been "Ayra, don't go! Don't let them boss you around!". And lines like...

Ayra: I understand. But be warned, Kinbaith: if you break your promise, you'll deeply regret it. Cross me, and I will pursue you to the very depths of the inferno itself, till I take your head. Remember this well!

Would've been much better if shortened to something like...

Ayra: Ayra: Good. Because, Kinbaith: you break your promise, and I will break you. I won't stop till I've ripped off your head and fed it to the BIRDS! Do you understand?!

I've brought this up in the relevant thread on Serenes Forest; in fact, I practically rewrote all of the Prologue and Chapter 1 to be more in-line with the example I gave above. But, I'm unsure as to whether or not BookofHolsety will ever be in the mood for script editing. He's busy with University right now, so he may not even look at the patch for a while yet. But anyways...

Sigurd vs. Alvis is also featured here. I don't know why they're hiding Alvis's stats, but he's clearly weaker than he was in the Prologue; and that's inspite of being 5 levels higher.

And...yeah. There's OUR wife healing our mortal enemy...though it is nice to know that she's got her doubts about the whole thing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, that's all the relevant battle scenes! All but one of the other ones from Gen 2; and the one that isn't...happens to be a massive spoiler. Sorry I was late on this; I'll be sure to have the other parts of this uploaded right quick! God bless you all!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 1, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah. drat that Manfloy/Manfroy! What kind of sick, twisted bastard gives a girl amnesia and marries her to her half-brother? Oh yeah, the kind trying to resurrect Dragon Satan.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Junpei posted:

Barharra (Which my casual interest in mythology raises an eye at, because I think that should be Valhalla)

:hf:

All these names are giving me a headache. If you have a Fergus and a Fi(on)n, surely Delmud and Grahnye are intended to be Diarmud and Grainne :eng99:

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Now for the minor miscellaneous dialogues. Keep in mind that some of the characters change their death quotes if they have a lover...

GEN 1 PLAYABLE CHARACTER DEATH QUOTES:

Sigurd: …Urgh… Everyone… I’m sorry…

Noish: Sir Sigurd… …I am so sorry… Stay strong…

Alec: Argh… I… May luck be on your side, Sir Sigurd…

Ardan: Sir Sigurd… I’ve served you my whole life, I have no regrets.

Azel: Sir Sigurd… …I’ll leave the rest to you.

Azel (has a lover): Sir Sigurd… …I’m leaving it up to you. [lover]…

Lex: I’m such a weakling… …Sir Sigurd, Please allow me to die in peace…

Cuan: Urgh… What have I… [a cinematic plays of Ethlin dragging him back home to Lenster][/i]

Ethlin: Aah… Cuan… …help… [a cinematic plays of Cuan dragging her back home to Lenster]

Fin: …my apologies. I cannot fight with this wound, so I shall return to Lenster at once.

Midir: Aah… Sir Sigurd, I’m so sorry.

Aideen: …gods, please protect everyone.

Aideen (has a lover): …gods, please protect everyone. [lover], I’m sorry…

Dew: How unlucky… …I’ve blundered once too much…

Aira: Shanan, be strong…

Aira (has a lover): Shanan, be strong… [lover], I want to see you again…

Jamka: Urgh… I’m already done for…?

Jamka (has a lover): Urgh… I’m already done for…? [lover]…

Deirdre: Stop! Where are you taking me?!

Holyn: Heh… I’m such a fool…

Lachesis: Aah… Elty…

Levin: Urgh… I… I still have things I must do… I can NOT die…

Sylvia: Why… why am I…

Sylvia (has a lover): Why… why am I… [lover], what are you going to do about this!?

Beowulf: Argh… drat it! My luck has finally ran out…

Fury: Prince Levin, please forgive me…

Brigid: …is this… the end…?!

Claude: Gods… My life is yours. Please watch over theirs in return…

Tiltyu: Stop! I can’t take any more…!

Tiltyu (has a lover): Stop! I can’t take any more…! [lover], you idiot!

GEN 1 "WELCOME HOME” CONVERSATIONS (happens when a person returns to the home castle, and their lover is there waiting for them):

This is going to look like a mess if I try to transcribe it all, the conversations themselves are pretty generic, and I have other stuff I want to move on to...so here's the link to all 1st Gen Lover Conversations:

http://acenoctali.free.fr/f-fe4/fe4_first_gen_lovetalks.htm

CHAPTER 5 QUOTES THAT I MISSED:

Trabant: Behold, the world-renowned Gungnir! Heheheh… you look so happy to see it. You will bow to me, and then you will die.

Cuan: Die! You hyenas! As long as I have the Gaebolg, I will not lose to your kind.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 1, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Alright guys, this is the last story post; there will be one more post detailing the AAAA Rank stuff that I didn't include in the last Chapter 5 updates, and then we'll continue the main playthrough tomorrow!

WHY WAS ALVIS TAUNTING SIGURD? (I'd post the link, but it contains many Gen 2 spoilers):

quote:

Q: Did Alvis know that [Deidre] was his half-sister?

A: Not in the beginning. Within the palace, there were few people who could tell him about Prince Kurth and [Sigyn's] relationship, and he was only 7 years old when his father committed suicide, so he would likely have been uninterested in the palace gossip that was occurring during that time. Afterwards, his beloved mother [Sigyn] disappeared, but because of his powerful trust in his mother he wasn’t disturbed by the rumours. Alvis always held the belief that his mother would return for him. He became the ruler of the Velthomer family in his youth and his influence frightened the nobles. Often he would quarrel with them after they disrespected his mother (even though they spoke the truth) and in extreme cases, he even killed people.

Although he had no interest at all in girls, when he first saw [Deirdre] he fell in love at first sight, which may have been influenced by his mother complex. After marrying [Deirdre], he noticed that [Deirdre] often seemed to be another person, and was afraid that one day she would leave his side like his mother did. Gripped by this thought, he lived his days with great unease (so we can see how much he loved [Deirdre]…) and heard rumours that “Sigurd’s wife had gone missing”, leading him to carefully watch Sigurd. So during Chapter 5, he progressed with his plan (to let [Deidre] meet Sigurd), which was caused by his inability to let go his endless worry. He obviously shouldn’t have checked, but he was unable to control himself; that was the extent of Alvis’s sorrow. Following that, he investigated [Deidre's] past, traveling to the Spirit Forest, and found out that she was [Sigyn's] daughter.

However, after discovering his wife was in fact his sister, his feelings still hadn’t changed. He simply tried his best to not let [Deirdre] find out the truth.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 1, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I'm unaware of why Kaga might have left IntSys. He clearly wasn't done with the FE franchise since he seemed to believe he owned it when he started working on Tear Ring (it was meant to be set in Akaneia, and basically be a Fire Emblem game) I've heard rumors it was because of FE64's hosed up development, but that's hearsay at best. As you can say these days with Vestaria Saga, he still maintains many of his old design philosophy with SRPG development, and not all of them good.

As for the Finn/Lachesis/Beowulf thing... I actually do ascribe to the idea that, even though she never cheated on Beo, she did love Finn to a degree. Of course, Finn disappears at the start of Chapter 4, while Beowulf is around all this time. And to me, it makes sense for a mercenary like Beowulf who's likely had many relationships that never lasted, to simply see HIMSELF as the second pick, rather than the one Lachesis actually loved (which doesn't imply to me that Lachesis didn't love him first and foremost. But more in Beowulf's eyes, his self confidence being a complete shitter, comparing the dirty mercenary to the noble knight, of COURSE he comes up second banana)

I do also think that Nanna is Finn's daughter and only the half-sibling of Delmund but... She's also 15. And Delmund is 17. Meaning Delmund was born in the same year as Celice in 759. Nanna isn't born until 761, or the same year as the Battle of Bahara. It's not a stretch at all to think that Lachesis got pregnant with Nanna after the battle, OR before it, depending entirely on when it happened. Obviously, her age and birth year and implication from the beginning that Finn could have been the father imply rather easily that Bahara takes place early on in 761 and Nanna was born late into the year.

Does this make Lachesis a cheat? Uh... No? Her husband was dead and specifically asked her to go to Finn, both because the Knight could protect her, and again, from my own perspective, a lack of worth that he perceived from himself. And she chose Beowulf, she didn't choose Finn. From his perspective it's "Obvious" that Finn left, so she 'settled' but from her own perspective, she chose Beowulf because she loved him. Did she decide to get with Finn after Beowulf's death? That's actually not debatable, with Nanna referring to Finn as her father in FE5 (Even adopted) and the description of them living together being like a family unit, to a degree (whether platonic, as a nuclear family unit, or as actual lovers) Lachesis and Finn acted as a Husband and Wife.

Why can't Lachesis be a woman who had two loves? I think it's kinda real and I don't see how it implies she cheated on Beowulf (That's be loving impossible given Nanna isn't born till after Finn had already left the army) beyond people trying to meme it up. This seems like the kind of boggling nerd logic that decries someone as "No longer pure" because they got in a relationship. No matter what, Delmund is most assuredly meant to be Beowulf's son. Much like Sety is absolutely meant to be Levin's son and no one elses. And regardless of who provided the seed for Nanna, Beowulf is dead by the time she's born.

Again, you're Beowulf, mercenary extraordinaire, Swordmaster, You've been all over Jugdral, a woman in every city like they say, never had a relationship that probably lasted longer than you shipping out to the next battlefield, you've probably sired a hundred bastards you'll never meet if you don't die on the battlefield. And the this princess comes along and sticks with you for years? Actually likes you, hell, actually LOVES you? No way, what's the catch? You're not lovable, you're a hired killer. If Finn had stuck around, there's no way she'd ever have chosen you right? Well this battle looks like it's not going to be one we all survive. It's been fun, and it hurts, but you know that you're likely meeting your end here, now, man up, tell her to go to Finn, he'll look after her, he's a good man and she'll probably be happier than with you anyway.

That seems perfectly in line with his characterization to me (The little we have of it.) and I'm more upset that typically if a Manga wants to do the Finn/Lachesis thing they just don't write Beowulf into the story. Seems pretty ridiculous. I have no issue with the people who think Beowulf is both kids parents, absolutely no problem.

Junpei posted:

Agreed. FE5 in general was kind of bullshit. It's not that what they were doing was bad, it's just the sequels ironed out a lot of the problems with it, and made us take them for granted.

Barharra is one of those things that says "This should obviously be Valhalla." but in this case, I believe the name is actually a corruption of "Valhalla" rather than a mistranslation.

This does not adjust for all the people later who mistook Julius and Julia as "Yurius and Yuria" Because those people are dumb

Onmi fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 1, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Oh yeah...there was that whole thing about Nanna being 2 years younger than Delmud, huh? Hmm...to be perfectly honest, I've never played FE5; I researched it in every way I knew how, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were other things I missed. Thanks for pointing that out; I'll add that into the relevant post.

But yeah, I kind of figured that Lachesis and Fin got together at some point; the question was whether or not Beowulf was still alive when she did. I mean, Beo WAS talking about how he knew "the truth", so I can see how people might get that idea (though I didn't agree with it; obviously).

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 1, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

Oh yeah...there was that whole thing about Nanna being 2 years younger than Delmud, huh? Hmm...to be perfectly honest, I've never played FE5; I researched it in every way I knew how, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were other things I missed. Thanks for pointing that out; I'll add that into the relevant post.

But yeah, I kind of figured that Lachesis and Fin got together at some point; the question was whether or not Beowulf was still alive when she did. I mean, Beo WAS talking about how he knew "the truth", so I can see how people might get that idea (though I didn't agree with it; obviously).

Well I think "The Truth" was from his perspective, that he was the second choice. I know it's weird to think about the 'badass mercenary' with the self-confidence issue. This is usually a character trait associated with female characters in harem situations "Oh I'm just the option because he couldn't have who he REALLY loved."

Also for the Blaggi Sword, just to confirm, can actually be used by ANYONE with Holy Blood Though for some reason cannot be used by Mareeta and Galvus who both have Holy Blood. It also can't be used by Evayne despite her being Briggid. And a swordmaster. Honestly the question it raises is who the gently caress is Fergus's mother! Since Beowulf didn't have any holy heritage. Although he is hinted at being the son of a Conote princess. So she likely had Minor Noba blood she passed down to her Son.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Onmi posted:

Also for the Blaggi Sword, just to confirm, can actually be used by ANYONE with Holy Blood Though for some reason cannot be used by Mareeta and Galvus who both have Holy Blood. It also can't be used by Evayne despite her being Briggid. And a swordmaster.

...Yeah. That kind of arbitrary nonsense is the reason why I don't put much weigh on the whole "Beo Sword" argument.

Onmi posted:

Well I think "The Truth" was from his perspective, that he was the second choice. I know it's weird to think about the 'badass mercenary' with the self-confidence issue. This is usually a character trait associated with female characters in harem situations "Oh I'm just the option because he couldn't have who he REALLY loved."

Yeah; makes sense to me. Though, it's also kind of subjective; I don't know if that was an accident, or if it was Kaga trolling us again (like he did with Sylvia and Claude), but...it's hard to come to a definitive answer for one side or the other.

And that's before we even get into retcons between FE4 and FE5. I mean, you're right; FE5 states that Nanna was born shortly after Lachesis came to Lenster. But then I realized "wait, that's what FE5 says...but what does FE4 say?" And sure enough...

quote:

DELMUD AND NANNA:

Delmud: Is your name by any chance Nanna?

Nanna: Yeah. And who are you?

Delmud: Yes! I found you! I’m Delmud, your brother!

Nanna: Huh? Is this some kind of joke?

Delmud: Here, let me explain everything [name withheld] told me. During the last war...[more spoilers]... But then our mother, Lachesis, brought you here to Lenster just after you were born.

Nanna: If you’re my brother, then where is she now?

Delmud: You mean our mother?

Nanna: She left me when I was around 3 to meet up with you in Isaac, but she never came back. I’ve waited for her to come home ever since…

Delmud: Mother came for me? But… but I never saw her!

Nanna: Oh, no! What could’ve happened to her…

Delmud: Well, first of all Yied Desert is no place for anyone to be traveling alone.

Nanna: Oh, no… Poor mother!

Retcons...gotta love em' :smugjones: ...

Of course, it might explain why Delmud relates himself to his dad, while Nanna relates herself to Fin; Delmud probably wouldn't have been aware of his mother hooking up with Fin).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

...Yeah. That kind of arbitrary nonsense is the reason why I don't put much weigh on the whole "Beo Sword" argument.

Yeah; makes sense to me. Though, it's also kind of subjective; I don't know if that was an accident, or if it was Kaga trolling us again (like he did with Sylvia and Claude), but...it's hard to come to a definitive answer for one side or the other.

And that's before we even get into retcons between FE4 and FE5. I mean, you're right; FE5 states that Nanna was born shortly after Lachesis came to Lenster. But then I realized "wait, that's what FE5 says...but what does FE4 say?" And sure enough...

Retcons...gotta love em' :smugjones: ...

Of course, it might explain why Delmud relates himself to his dad, while Nanna relates herself to Fin; Delmud probably wouldn't have been aware of his mother hooking up with Fin).

I kind of like this stuff being vague because it does sort of evoke that idea of mythology and mystique. There isn't an answer that's set in stone, it fits with the idea of these legendary figures, and maybe it was like this, or like that, and there are different interpretations.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

And here's our final Gen 1 wrap-up post; look forward to Chapter 6 Part 1 tomorrow! On New Years!

CURRENT AAAA RANKED RUN STATS (END OF GEN 1):

Time Taken On Final Gen 1 Updates: ~1 hour, 1 minute, and 41 seconds

Total Time Elapsed Over the Run: 14 hours, 19 minutes, 49 seconds~

Turns Taken On Final Gen 1 Updates: 13 Turns

Total Turns Elapsed Over The Run: 208 Turns

Levels Gained On Final Gen 1 Updates: 20 Levels

Total Levels Gained: 536 Levels

Things I Regret: In the Prologue, I regret the fact that Noish had to hang back as I rigged levels for Sigurd in the Prologue.

In Chapter 1, I should've brought Midir to guarantee that Kinbois's men would be taken down without issue.

On Chapter 2, I regret the fact that Ardan built up so many love points with Aira even though that pairing's been written out of the route, I regret making that positioning mistake with Fin, and I wish I hadn't made that careless mistake with Sigurd attacking that guard near Boldo (even if it did end up working out). I regret deciding to not just get Deirdre to Level 30 by the end of Chapter 2. I regret wasting something like 12 minutes rigging Aideen a win against Keimos, when it ultimately didn't end up doing much for Jamka anyway. And I could have manipulated Dew's Gold a bit better so that Aira got just 18,000G instead of 22,470G.

On Chapter 3, I regret selling Deirdre's Aura tome! I'll bet she TOTALLY could've kicked Manfloy's butt, if ONLY I hadn't taken that away :gonk: !!

On Chapter 4, I regret spending so much time disabeling the Arena bug for Fury's Arena fights; her combat stats didn't even matter once I promoted her! I also regret not having Claude turn around sooner. I also regret not repairing the Return Staff before giving it to Aideen.

On Chapter 5, I regret not having Dew sit tight after slaying that General; I didn't really accomplish much by moving him around outside, so I probably wasted about a minute or so.

Level 26-30: 57 > 60 HP, 24 > 25 Str, 0 > 2 Mag, 8 > 9 Skl, 8 > 12 Spd, 5 Lck, 21 > 24 Def, 0 > 3 Res!

Level 26-30: 47 > 50 HP, 23 Str, 1 Mag, 30 Skl, 26 > 28 Spd, 5 Lck, 9 > 11 Def, 5 Res!

Level 24-28: 52 > 56 HP, 27 Str, 0 Mag, 18 > 19 Skl, 20 > 23 Spd, 12 > 14 Lck, 19 > 20 Def, 3 Res!

Level 26-30: 54 > 58 HP, 23 > 24 Str, 3 Mag, 27 Skl, 21 > 22 Spd, 5 > 6 Lck, 16 Def, 4 Res!

Level 23-27: 50 > 53 HP, 25 > 27 Str, 1 > 2 Mag, 23 > 24 Skl, 21 Spd, 18 > 20 Lck, 17 Def, 11 Res!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 4, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Ok, change of plans; the next update probably won't be directly on New Years. There's more to do than I thought there was, so I most likely won't be able to make it without rushing things. Sorry guys!

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

quote:

1) Early versions of Nintendo's official website have directly stated that Beowulf is the canon father of both Delmud and Nanna.
Now, do I have actual links to give you? I...do not, unfortunately. It could all just be rumors and misinformation; so until someone can provide a link confirming either of those two statements, we'll never know for sure.

This is part of what you're after. Beowulf is listed as the father for Nanna and Fergus. Delmud hadn't been added to the page yet - he's there in the next recorded version, but the references to Beowulf have also been removed in that version.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I think we can safely say that not even IntSys really knows and/or cares that hard about it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think youll find they still care very much about incestuous and creepy relationships

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I think youll find they still care very much about incestuous and creepy relationships

Well I mean duh that's just reasonable.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean, they gave you the option for Owain and Lucina to get engaged, and that's before we go into the whole Corrin/Azura debacle.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^Um excuse me they are simply very close companions, there is nothing illegal going on here.

Onmi posted:

Barharra is one of those things that says "This should obviously be Valhalla." but in this case, I believe the name is actually a corruption of "Valhalla" rather than a mistranslation.

It's not the corruption itself that bugs me, it's that it's done in a way that looks exactly like a SNES-era botch job where the translator didn't know anything about mythology and didn't care to look it up either and simply guessed at the b/v and l/r thing because a 50% chance to get it right is more than good enough. A good translation would come up with a name that looks like a properly corrupted version of the original word instead of a fuckup, like poo poo, I don't know, Valla or something.

The ratio of uncorrupted to corrupted versions of obviously lifted-from-mythology names doesn't help much either. Without some kind of supplementary materials, there's nothing prompting the player to think it's intentional.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

vilkacis posted:

^Um excuse me they are simply very close companions, there is nothing illegal going on here.

It's not the corruption itself that bugs me, it's that it's done in a way that looks exactly like a SNES-era botch job where the translator didn't know anything about mythology and didn't care to look it up either and simply guessed at the b/v and l/r thing because a 50% chance to get it right is more than good enough. A good translation would come up with a name that looks like a properly corrupted version of the original word instead of a fuckup, like poo poo, I don't know, Valla or something.

The ratio of uncorrupted to corrupted versions of obviously lifted-from-mythology names doesn't help much either. Without some kind of supplementary materials, there's nothing prompting the player to think it's intentional.

I just would have called it Valhalla because "gently caress it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Onmi posted:

I just would have called it Valhalla because "gently caress it"

If it's supposed to be a corruption, I'd go with Valharra.