Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
SAGameDev Challenge X - 2015

LOGO PSD
http://www.awfuljams.com

It's all over! Go play those goon games! http://www.awfuljams.com/games

Join us Friday August 7th and Saturday the 8th for the GONG SHOW and Friday August 14th for the JUDGING stream.
Twitch.tv/SAGameDev

CRITICAL OMISSION IS YOUR THEME

We have a Twitter: @SAGameDev which will be used *strictly* for important announcements. Not to clog your feed with retweets and other social media garbage.

Need help forming a team? Want to talk to other devs during the jam, or ask for help when everything inevitably goes terribly wrong? Join #SAGDC on synirc.

If you have any trouble with the site, send an email to admin@sagamedev.net

It’s that time again!
Every year brave game developers come together for a singular purpose: making games. This is the Something Awful Game Dev Challenge, where you are tasked with the full month of July to create a game following a given theme. This year is the first year we’re opening SAGDC up to the public!

How do I submit / announce my team?
'SAGDC X' premieres a slick new web-interface to automate key aspects of the jam process. Go to http://www.awfuljams.com and press the 'Join Jam' button to establish your team and maintain your game page. You're free to wait until later to establish a game page. Game pages aren't published until the end of the competition, you can however give out a link to your game page early for testing / previewing purposes.

Everyone will be free to join, make a team & game page until the very last moment of the Jam (1AM CST August 1st).

For submitting games, we will enable submitting your finalized zipped game for the judges during the final week. Submissions to judges are final, so be sure to test your game thoroughly. Public versions of your game can be updated as much as you’d like, even after the competition ends.

**You are responsible for hosting your game for public play on your game-page.**

The Judging Process
We’ve revamped the scoring and judging system from previous years. For SAGDC X, submitted games will be split up between the 6 judges. Judges will rate each game on a scale from 1 to 5, and provide a few paragraphs of critique and reflection. Each judge will pick 2 “top picks” from their given batch, all judges will then play each-other’s top picks.

The process culminates in a live-streamed deliberations phase, where we decide together the best submissions for each category.

Your Intrepid Judges
* Everdraed
* InternetJanitor
* JamesRossi
* JonTerp
* Mido
* poemdexter

Categories

* Game of the Year
- The judge's pick for best game overall.
* Best Style
- Pick for most use of art and stylistic choice.
* Best Narrative
- Our choice for best story and narrative design.
* Best Game Design
- Goes to the game with the most compelling mechanics and gameplay.
* Best Use of Theme
- For clever incorporation of the jam's theme.

*Best Use of Audio
- Chosen for clever use of audio and sound design
* Community Choice
- Game that's picked as the community favorite.

Note: You cannot win multiple categories, winning in any category removes you from running in the others (Except Game of the Year). This is just to ensure even distribution of prizes.

Prizes!
Oh boy do we have them. Through the pure generosity of a few kind-hearted developers and publishers this year is set to be the biggest prize pool in SAGDC history.

Below are our currently secured prizes, we're still in talks to get more. Most prizes will be secured once the E3 chaos subsides. Keep an eye on the @SAGameDev Twitter for more announcements.

GOTY Grand Prize
* Super Swag-box Grande
----A large box of merchandise from our friends in the industry.
* The Goon-pack
----A bundle of the most authentic Goon games on Steam.

GOTY Runner-Up
* The Goon-pack
---- A bundle of the most authentic Goon games on Steam.

Category Winner
* Swag-bag
---- A swag-bag of merchandise from our friends in the industry.
* The Goon-pack
---- A bundle of the most authentic Goon games on Steam.

Best Unreal Engine Game
*Epic Swag Pack

Best Unity Game
*Full Unity Pro License.
---- A fully featured Unity 5 Pro license key.

Best Sound

* 1st place: SFX Bundle from Boom Libraries
* 2nd place: Construction Kit from Boom Libraries
* 3rd place: Desigend edition from Boom Libraries

Community Choice
* The Community Prize
* To be determined

Special thanks to the developers & third parties providing prizes!
* [Bungie]
* [Boom Library]
* [Epic Games]
* [FanGamer]
* [Unity]

The Wall of Shame

The wretched edifice that foreverial records a prideful dev’s hubris. If you say you will make a game for SAGDC but fail to deliver, your name ends up on the wall. You don’t want this to happen. We don’t want this to happen either though, so we do our best to give opportunities to escape its dreadful surface. It hungers.

This year, the shame wall has gained sentience and a cold robot heart. There is no escape, no place to hide. Your shame will be immortalized for all future generations to see.

Bounties
GOON-ONLY
Posters can put forward bounties to reward devs for meeting specific criteria. For example, ‘I will give $10 to the dev that best uses :toot: in their game’ or ‘one copy of bad rats for the game with the worst physics implementation.’ It is entirely up to bounty givers to choose their winner(s) and deliver promised rewards. This is for the thread ONLY, and does not apply to games made by non-goons.

Available Bounties
KRILLIN IN THE NAME : Avatar certificate for most tasteful dad-dong.
Shalinor : 5x Hot Tin Roof Deluxe for best use of cats.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su4NfqOmcX8

FAQ

Q: Rules?
A:
Rule #1: Don't be an rear end in a top hat
Rule #2: Keep copyrighted content to a bare minimum. See Rule #1.
Rule #3: Don't be hateful or rude toward other teams. See Rule #1.
Rule #4: If you're writing code in the time before the competition starts, release the source for everyone else. See Rule #1.
Rule #5: Go hog wild.

Q: Can I use marketplace purchases (IE Unity Asset store or Unreal Marketplace) in my jam games?
A: Yep! Purchased assets of any type are all fair game.

JossiRossi posted:

So you want to work on a game but you only have half the skills needed to make a game? Well shut up you are wrong you can use twine. However, if you still want to work with others and make some game dev friends but aren't sure where to start then I have what you need.

:siren: Something Awful Game Dev Competition X Orphans List :siren:

The Form
https://goo.gl/forms/oYLVxABURO
Go here and fill out the questions to the best of your ability. Basic info is needed, Name, Contact, Skills, and optionally Availability.

The Sheet
https://goo.gl/ofNSfj
All submissions will appear on this spreadsheet. People can not edit this form directly but the public is allowed to make comments.

IF YOU JOIN A TEAM PLEASE COMMENT YOUR SECTION AS SUCH. It will go a long way to keeping things sane on that sheet. I'll also do my best to keep an eye on it in case something goes wrong.

poemdexter posted:

~All Games Are Beautiful~

If any of you are first timers to game dev, programming, art, or whatever, you should definitely hop over into the #SAGDC channel on synirc. The channel has been nonstop over the past 2 years with close to 100 people online at all times and it's a huge hugbox for people making games regardless of skill.

There's also the Making Games Megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506853
There's also the Game Development Megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2692947

There's also Pixel Prospector - http://www.pixelprospector.com/ with TONS of resources for getting started including free sounds and art.

My wish as a judge this year is to be absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of entries. Last year was great with over 40 games to judge I think. Plus, instead of getting some arbitrary number score, you'll actually get real feedback on your game. Exciting!

JonTerp posted:

Boom Library has graciously provided a prize pack, free sounds, and a 15% discount code from their site for everyone involved in the jam.

Free SFX: http://www.boomlibrary.com/boomlibrary/00_FreeSFX/cinematic_series_free_sfx_278mb.zip

Discount Code: SAGameDev-15

Lowen SoDium posted:

I have a mostly complete build of my game and I just did the best thing I could have done with it: I had someone who had not seen or knew anything about it sit down and play it.

Right off the bat, I saw about 6 things I need to change. Things that I wouldn't have seen because I am too close to it.

Don't know where to start? Read InternetJanitor's post on low-effort game engines HERE

Calipark fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 20, 2015

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
If the site breaks, let me know! I have lost a little bit of sleep over it.

But I am super excited to participate this year! Woop woop woop!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I will sign up, as in previous years. I will forget to do anything at all, as in previous years. I like the third theme.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

In this for the grandma jam!

I'll also offer the following bounty: $5 avatar certificate to whoever includes the most tasteful dad dong in their game.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

TEAM PUNCH FIGHT, the brilliant minds behind PUNCH FIGHT: TAXED TO DEATH, PUNCH FIGHT II: KICKED IN THE BALLS, PUNCH FIGHT III: THAT'LL TEACH 'EM and last year's highly acclaimed PUNCH FIGHT IV: NIGHT VISIONS brings you this year's tentatively-titled installment:

I've got some cool ideas for each of the themes:

Critical Omission: This is my favorite theme and I really hope it gets through. I want to make a third-person shooter where the main character has absolutely no idea how to shoot. Instead, you have to parkour your way through levels full of waist-high obstacles, trying not to get noticed and shot. Think of a really, really simplified Assassin's Creed, with all of the murder cut out, just navigating an environment without drawing attention.

Local Color: I was born and raised in Hawaii, and Hawaiian culture has a lot of really interesting stories to tell. One of my favorite legends is how the demigod Maui used a magic fishing hook to fish the Hawaiian islands from the ocean floor, so I want to turn that into a fishing game.

Games for Grandma: Honestly, the best way to look at this theme is extremely seriously: make a game that you can get your grandmother (who has probably never played video games) to understand. As such, I want to make a simple exploration game, like Myst and Riven, where the player navigates through the world using only the mouse. The challenge will be to come up with puzzles that a grandma would find challenging not because she would struggle with the interface, but because they are actually challenging puzzles.

So far, TEAM PUNCH FIGHT is just me, but I could really use some help! I want to make a 3D game in Unreal Engine 4 this year.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

This sounds like fun and might give me the motivation to get something actually completed for once.

Will probably slap something together in Unity, so Wall of Shame here we come!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Welp, looks like Team Not Actually a Team needs to crank out another game! It's called Team Not Actually a Team because it's just me. So yeah count my solo rear end in.

Natural Joe
Dec 27, 2006

MWYAHHHHH!!!
I tried to make a game in time for the past couple of years but didn't manage to pull it off. Hopefully this year will be different. I'm going to give it another go this year and may everlasting shame be upon my head if I do not succeed.

I've got some ideas for two of the themes but Local Colour has me stumped. Not really any folklore in my ancestry or where I live that I would feel right using.

Natural Joe fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 21, 2015

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Yaaay. I finally get to watch one of these from the outside. :neckbeard:

(I am probably not going to compete, but I guess there's a tiny chance I might - depends on whether I get this fighting game system done in time and need to do a month-long shakedown run)

EDIT: Also, I'm putting up 5x Hot Tin Roof Deluxe (ie. Hot Tin Roof / Jones On Fire / both OSTs) steam keys that go to the best uses of cats in games. I want to see your :3: faces. Which is like a war face, but :3:.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 17, 2015

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Judge from previous years, more than happy to throw my hat in the ring again for this year.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Last year I rushed out a game in the last 2 days and scored Really Low so I am going to declare RIGHT NOW that I be the guy who will have the Most Improvement In Their Game this year compared to last year. I won't be able to compare score since we're changing how score works, but if anybody else is in a similar boat I'd love to compete with them to see WHO CAN IMPROVE THE MOST.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'll probably attempt something lower scope than what I wanted to do last year and actually get it finished in time.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Innerguard posted:

Judge from previous years, more than happy to throw my hat in the ring again for this year.

Judges are all locked in already. We hand picked them this year to avoid waiting 3 weeks for stragglers to finish reviewing. Thanks for offering though.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Gonna give it a shot this year, probably going to have to go in a really narrow scope since I'm going to be on vacation for a week in July. Local Flavor and Games for Grandma both sound really cool. Critical Omission does sound interesting but it is arguably the most challenging of the three.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

We'll have to discuss it (vacation until next week) but likely Dance Magic Crew will be joining in. We're hard-at-work on another title so we likely won't be able to produce something quite so big this time around (seriously worked on Dance Magic non-stop last July).

If the theme had been Religious Games, we could have had Dance Magic II: Dance Magic For Jesus.

I think Games for Grandma or Critical Omission have a lot of promise. Feed Your Grandchild simulator. Professional One-Man-Baseball. A Finger-Gun FPS.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.
Aw yeah. Definitely want to do this again. Last year didn't work out as well due to some unforeseen IRL stuff for some of our team mates.

Let's try again guys!

Last year it was Shindragon, The Orange, and myself. So if you guys want to try again this year, same team, let me know.

Marsol0 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 17, 2015

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Marsol0 posted:

Aw yeah. Definitely want to do this again. Last year didn't work out as well due to some unforeseen IRL stuff for some of our team mates.

Let's try again guys!

I'd be willing to give it another shot, I just think that trying to do another Cthulhu game isn't the best idea, might be cursed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Welp, looks like Team Not Actually a Team needs to crank out another game! It's called Team Not Actually a Team because it's just me. So yeah count my solo rear end in.

I'm a solo act as well.

Hopefully this year I actually submit something, unlike the past three years. The last game I actually submitted has its source on google code, which dates it pretty effectively I think.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
We should have a "WANTED:" section for teams who might need particular talents. Otherwise people might not join a team because they don't think they're needed, or something like that.

Basically I'm interested, but I'm just a (bad) artist, so I'm not sure where I'd fit in, or what projects I'd be interested in.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

KiddieGrinder posted:

We should have a "WANTED:" section for teams who might need particular talents. Otherwise people might not join a team because they don't think they're needed, or something like that.

Basically I'm interested, but I'm just a (bad) artist, so I'm not sure where I'd fit in, or what projects I'd be interested in.

You can hunt people down in the thread by leaving your email, or better yet join the IRC Channel.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I am really excited to be a judge and have the opportunity to play some good games!

Last year I set up a post for Game Dev Orphans. By the end of the evening I think I'll set up a simple google doc and let god sort it out.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm in, if anyone needs a poo poo programmer. Also giving a shout out to the local colour theme, though they're all good.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Proper logo is up in the OP with link to PSD source so you can use it in your games, if that's the sort of thing you're into.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Awesome! Dunno if I'm going to be able to play/write-up every finalist (and others) again this year, but I love these things nonetheless. Good luck everyone!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

JonTerp posted:

You can hunt people down in the thread by leaving your email, or better yet join the IRC Channel.

Please, please add a wanted section, there was one last year and I wouldn't have found my amazing teammates without it!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm in as mediocre programmer and :krad: artist. I already have a teammate, a fricking talented game and sim programmer and stick figure artist who was a ranked winner (not first) in a previous year but I'm not sure if he's ready to announce himself yet so I'll withhold his name for now. I tried last year and failed miserably to even finish a reasonably playable product but I'm pumped for this year and ready to stake my e-cred on seeing this through to the end. I wouldn't mind taking on another teammate, particularly to split the duty of creating art assets, but I'll have to consult with my existing teammate first - this isn't his first rodeo so I'll defer to his better judgment. Even so, I can be emailed at manuela.malasanya@gmx.com.

I'm digging the themes this year and I'll be pleased no matter which one is chosen.

Bakkon
Jun 7, 2006

SQUIRTLE SQUAD
It's been a few years, but I'm going to give this a go to brush up on Unity. Games for Grandma and Critical Omission both sound fun.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
What the hell... A month is actually a reasonable time to come up with something, and I especially like that third theme, so I'm down with participating. Tremble at my terrible code!

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
I'm in. Almost definitely not doing anything multiplayer again after last year :p

Games for grandma is my favourite if the themes. I'd like to make knit hero. A knitting themed rhythm game.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

KiddieGrinder posted:

This is a perfect opportunity to become a bad programmer too! The only requirement is "make a game." Nobody said it had to be good.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
*snip* We'll use JamesRossi's method instead.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 18, 2015

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
So you want to work on a game but you only have half the skills needed to make a game? Well shut up you are wrong you can use twine. However, if you still want to work with others and make some game dev friends but aren't sure where to start then I have what you need.

The Form
https://goo.gl/forms/oYLVxABURO
Go here and fill out the questions to the best of your ability. Basic info is needed, Name, Contact, Skills, and optionally Availability.

The Sheet
https://goo.gl/ofNSfj
All submissions will appear on this spreadsheet. People can not edit this form directly but the public is allowed to make comments.

IF YOU JOIN A TEAM PLEASE COMMENT YOUR SECTION AS SUCH. It will go a long way to keeping things sane on that sheet. I'll also do my best to keep an eye on it in case something goes wrong.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I'll pop my name into the sheet (although most of my team-hopping was done in media res the last two years). I can usually handle two "full teams" worth of work, but it depends on what people ask, and I'll probably swoop in with a few last-minute pieces for those who need it, again.

I'm hoping that I'll have the necessary experience this year to make my own game, but we'll have to see. Critical Omission sounds like a lot of fun, so I'm hopin' for that!

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 18, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god, is it that time again?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
How Game is Formed: A Janitor's Guide

The Wall of Shame pulses and writhes. As the day of reckoning approaches, the Wall rises from its stupor and begins to sing. You must not heed this call. You must not feed the Wall. Please, my friends- gather round. I will show you how to evade its maw. How to survive. You will need tools. Tools for a multiplatform world.

I'll assume you're already familiar with the big hitters like UE4, Unity and GameMaker. I'll assume you're flat broke. What are some other options?

LibGDX is a framework for programming video games. Write your code in Java, deploy to Windows, Linux, OSX, and Android, cross-compile into HTML5.

Processing is another option with similar benefits. A fast, easy to use 2D and 3D drawing API with extensive documentation and tutorials. Build native executables for Windows, Linux or OSX with a few menu clicks. There's even a browser based flavor with a collaborative IDE.

Perhaps you have some sort of untreated mental illness which causes you to think Java is icky or something. Perhaps you would prefer Lua. Perhaps you should try Love2D.

Also available in the Lua wonderland is PICO-8, a self-described "fantasy game console". Comes with a full set of tools for editing sprites, maps, music and your Lua programs. It isn't free, but, well, I dunno- rummage around in your couch cushions or something.

Twine is a tool for creating browser-based text adventures. You can include sound, images and even JavaScript if you so desire. Twine is capable of making games ranging from familiar to terrifying.

Octo is a browser-based IDE for the Chip8 virtual machine. Its memory is limited, and its graphical capabilities are crude. Games are, however, very easy to write and share. The limited resources of this device could prove to be your salvation. Just tell everybody you were shooting for "retro" or "lo-fi" or something. Octo comes with extensive documentation to help you. (Hey, I'm only gonna plug ONE of my projects, ok?)

Finally, let's imagine that you don't have any coders on your team and you don't feel like learning. Stencyl might be just the ticket. While it is a commercial product, the version that spits out browser-based games is free of charge.

Got any other ideas? Let's hear them! You can make games in literally anything if you use your imagination. Don't feed The Wall.

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 18, 2015

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

JonTerp posted:

Your Intrepid Judges

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
^ ha ha ha

I made an awful game last year and I'm gonna do an awful game this year!

I'm signing up again as team fishbottom! (edit: I had no idea that this was a muppet)

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 18, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

JossiRossi posted:

Great idea, signed up! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I'm so excited to be able to participate again this year! Local Colour is by far my favourite theme given how much neat poo poo there is to mine from Irish mythology(NO, NOT LEPRECHAUNS, gently caress LEPRECHAUNS) but Critical Omission has the potential for some cool design stuff too. As for Games for Grandma, well... I have vivid memories of trying to explain the concept of 3D computer games to my grandmother. It did not go well.

We're going to be a fiancé and fiancée team, but will probably be on the lookout for a floating audio person - and a 3D animator, if any of those exist. Now to decide on a team name...

• Locked thread