Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Alkydere posted:

Nah, stock market was free. Orbit's the tech tree. Which, for a tech tree, was actually really well done. It was still a paid DLC for a tech tree.

Thought that was called Frontier, sorry. I still don't understand how the tech tree works but I'm glad someone does :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Ambivalent posted:

Yeah, but it's not the same as having my like 12 ships in 1404 that are doing an intricate ballet of loading & unloading goods. My beautiful precious ballet of automation

The logistics in Anno is basically the reason I played 1701, 1404 and 2070, the absence of managing islands takes something away from the franchise's soul.

I've only played an early version of Anno 2170 ARRC but I.A.A.M. 1404 seems to be along the same lines. As these are German mods translated into other languages, it may take some trial and error.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
What do they do? The webpage doesn't tell me.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

Scads of new buildings and so on.

http://iaam1404.projectanno.de/baumenu_iaam_eng.htm

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

Check the construction kit and building venice tabs at the top. :stare:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I don't see those. Might be my mobile browser or something.

I miss playing 1404, will be looking into this.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Vahakyla posted:

It adds a couple of hundred buildings and decorations to play with. So many it broke the normal menu and the expanded menu won't let you pipette the custom buildings because the UI wasn't designed to handle it. You can make a Venetian settlement adjacent to your harbour over water but it's an squiffy implementation, underwater settlements in 2170 were done better. A neat touch is that you can lay down canals to make norias look a little more natural spreading fertile soil around.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 21, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I gave in and bought the Tundra expansion and oh my God it's gorgeous! :swoon:

That might be my biggest complaint about Anno 2205: the sector you spend by far the most time in and develop the most, the temperate zone, is the ugliest, least creative, and least visually interesting. I love the arctic, moon, and tundra, but I keep going back to my temperate cities to tinker and build to get more cash and resources.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cythereal posted:

I gave in and bought the Tundra expansion and oh my God it's gorgeous! :swoon:

That might be my biggest complaint about Anno 2205: the sector you spend by far the most time in and develop the most, the temperate zone, is the ugliest, least creative, and least visually interesting. I love the arctic, moon, and tundra, but I keep going back to my temperate cities to tinker and build to get more cash and resources.

I prefer building in the temperate zone. I like the chill out sprawl building. Shrug. To each his or her own.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I don't find Tundra or Temperate bad, but holy poo poo my level of nerd glee over running a town on the moon or in the arctic can't be understated. I strongly wish that they'd taken a couple of different directions with this game, but I can't be dissatisfied with (most of) the finished product.

And you can count me as one of the deviants who loves the new inventory system, specifically the part where we're just given the information which was always what we really needed to know but had to infer or calculate, the production to consumption balance. I would definitely have preferred to manage shipments between islands in addition to shipments between sectors but I really don't have the normal generic nerd rage over things changing towards this game that I've felt towards other things.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Building a moon-base: loving awesome, gimme more.

Not being able to expand said moon-base into an actual settlement, instead stuck with nothing but a growing mining colony and power plant? Lame, did you NOT hear me say 'gimme more'?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LonsomeSon posted:

And you can count me as one of the deviants who loves the new inventory system, specifically the part where the information which was always what we really needed to know but had to infer or calculate, the production to consumption balance.

Anno 2205 was my introduction to the series, and despite trying 1404 and 2070, the absence of this little screen has left me completely unable to get into any of the previous games. I am here to build a gorgeous city and have some fun naval battles. I am not here to make loving spreadsheets or worry about optimizing drat truck routes or building layouts.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cythereal posted:

Anno 2205 was my introduction to the series, and despite trying 1404 and 2070, the absence of this little screen has left me completely unable to get into any of the previous games. I am here to build a gorgeous city and have some fun naval battles. I am not here to make loving spreadsheets or worry about optimizing drat truck routes or building layouts.

I find with 1404/2070 it's best just to over-build your production stuff and not care if you have surplus. If you do just upgrade your storage either in your main city(ies) or in the island that's producing it. That done just check back every now and then.

I can definitely see the issues of going back though. Yes the old system is a more "realistic" system that actually models stuff having to be transported (provided you discount that all warehouses on a given island are connected via magical teleporters) but oh my god is the 2205 system so convenient.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The 1404 Unofficial Patch puts in production ratio tooltips, but unfortunately 2070 has no such crutch - probably due to the complexity of its pollution systems.

While 2205 removes the need to worry about truck/ship routes it by far doubles down on the optimising building layouts just through the necessity and huge array of building addons and production ratios that aren't just 1/3,1/2, or 1 to 1.

I also really felt that they dropped the ball by not letting you colonise the moon with civilians - once the sector project for tourism is complete that should've opened up a whole new line for people to start moving there permanently and really letting you fill up the craters. In the end-game you barely need more than one moon region to provide for the Earth and any more are just completion cost centres.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Alkydere posted:

I find with 1404/2070 it's best just to over-build your production stuff and not care if you have surplus. If you do just upgrade your storage either in your main city(ies) or in the island that's producing it. That done just check back every now and then.

I can definitely see the issues of going back though. Yes the old system is a more "realistic" system that actually models stuff having to be transported (provided you discount that all warehouses on a given island are connected via magical teleporters) but oh my god is the 2205 system so convenient.

The trick I always had when overbuilding was I always had an 'offload' point at one of the NPC ports for a lot of my trade routes. So I could have lots of really elaborate trade routes where some ships could make 4 or 5 stops, and sometimes even when I was operating at a deficit (red income), I was still technically generating huge income this way.

It was super pleasant just watching a really intricate dance where I had like 9 trade ships on all these routes sorta weave through the map.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Ambivalent posted:

The trick I always had when overbuilding was I always had an 'offload' point at one of the NPC ports for a lot of my trade routes. So I could have lots of really elaborate trade routes where some ships could make 4 or 5 stops, and sometimes even when I was operating at a deficit (red income), I was still technically generating huge income this way.

It was super pleasant just watching a really intricate dance where I had like 9 trade ships on all these routes sorta weave through the map.

Yeah, this is the way to go. If I'm remembering correctly you get more money when NPCs come to you, so maxing out the trade fleets and getting a big fat warehouse to sell from is a good idea, then just have the routes dump the excess at the most convenient NPC port. Once your warehouse stocks start to dip then you stack on some more production.

Ptolo
Oct 31, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

Yeah, this is the way to go. If I'm remembering correctly you get more money when NPCs come to you, so maxing out the trade fleets and getting a big fat warehouse to sell from is a good idea, then just have the routes dump the excess at the most convenient NPC port. Once your warehouse stocks start to dip then you stack on some more production.

Passive selling of goods was very profitable, hence why it was great when Anno 2070 introduced minimum stocks for trade shipsto leave at a location. That allowed you to always have, say tools, to sell at every port :)

The transport logistics of the Anno series have always been a delight, which is why 2205 having single harbors per map seems so disappointing. (that and a memory leak on swapping maps kept making the game crawl to a standstill every ~2 hours or so....)

Anno games are lovely just to watch. Bluebyte even talk about it as an objective of their game design, calling it 'Wusel Factor' :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Anno 2205 and all DLC are on Steam sale this weekend, you can grab the season pass for ten bucks if you've been waiting. It includes the final DLC, Frontiers.

• Locked thread