Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Seventh Arrow posted:

So if you 100% the Riddler stuff, do you get to punch his lights out or something?

You get the only real boss fight of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

TechnoSyndrome posted:

https://youtu.be/pEXmZUtzacU

Yo this remaster looks like garbage

It's like they cranked the saturation into overdrive, and cut down on about half of the atmospheric design work. Peep the comparison shot of Clayface; the rays of light spilling out around him from the movie screen have been completely removed in the remaster.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Spacebump posted:

You get a boss fight with Catwoman on your team. It also saves the riddles for a new game + play through.

redbackground posted:

You get the only real boss fight of the game.

That does sound interesting. Especially after the cheesy 'reward' in Arkham Origins.

I just (barely) finished the Ranelagh Ferry trial. In a way, I'm kind of glad that my video card seems a bit under par, as the somewhat choppier gameplay gives my grandpa reflexes a bit more of a fighting chance :dance:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Arkham Origins has the worst 100% reward I have ever seen in a video game and that includes ones that just thank you in the credits or something.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Yeah. I mean, I get that Origins was a prequel game and so they wanted to set up the Riddler as a mysterious villain soon to terrorize Gotham, dun dun DUN!, but that's no way to reward all that effort. Maybe leave it for a side quest or something.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thrawn527 posted:

The cutscenes look worse, but some of the gameplay sections look better to me.

apprently all the cutscenes in the old game were all prerendered cutscenes. the remaster is all in game. so they had to make all the cutscenes in game from scratch. it explains to me sorta why some look worse.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Ah, the Silent Hill method

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Ah, the Silent Hill method

what do you mean?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Sorry it's late and I think I named the wrong thing. Silent Hill's HD remakes had most of the source code tossed away in the garbage because Japan's weird like that so they had to recreate a lot of the lightining and stuff themselves

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so they had to make all the cutscenes in game from scratch.
Well that had to suck.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

redbackground posted:

Well that had to suck.

thats why i am giving them the benifit of the doubt. plus i am not neogaf. i dont go apeshit if the graphics arnt perfect. as long as they keep the gameplay the same i am fine.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm just worried they'll somehow gently caress up old content. AK's destroyed my expectations for Rocksteady to not set even old and finish content on fire somehow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pirate Jet posted:

Arkham Origins has the worst 100% reward I have ever seen in a video game and that includes ones that just thank you in the credits or something.

Arkham Origins: Blackgate is not very good, and to make matters worse you can't 100% the game (achievement wise) unless you play through the whole thing at least 3 times.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Dapper_Swindler posted:

apprently all the cutscenes in the old game were all prerendered cutscenes. the remaster is all in game. so they had to make all the cutscenes in game from scratch. it explains to me sorta why some look worse.

This makes sense. I was surprised that they would have redone the cutscenes for Asylum after tweaking that game's Batman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crabtree posted:

I'm just worried they'll somehow gently caress up old content. AK's destroyed my expectations for Rocksteady to not set even old and finish content on fire somehow.

Rocksteady isn't doing the port from what I understand.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ImpAtom posted:

Well that's part of the problem, as they hired someone last minute to do a lovely port of AK

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

Again, a Chinese company is in charge of this remaster, not Rocksteady.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

yeah, i assume they are working on their new game, after WB took a bat to their collective legs for loving up Knight.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Did Arkham knight not sell as well or something? I doubt Batman's critical reception influenced any pricing unless metacritic scores are still a thing

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Did Arkham knight not sell as well or something? I doubt Batman's critical reception influenced any pricing unless metacritic scores are still a thing

They pulled PC sales and offered refunds after release, dude.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Oh and that was after an 8 month delay to mostly fix the PS4 release.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

That's actually really impressive, I didn't expect that to ever happen with a remaster. Even Naughty Dog's Uncharted and TLOU remasters didn't go that far despite going above and beyond in everything else, they just re-rendered them all.

Even with some of the bad design choices the idea of playing the Arkham games without cutscenes full of artifacting sounds nice.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It sold incredibly well, people are conflating their own disappointment with the bat-tank into the game's overall success or business practices.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The PC port was a disaster and it was also outsourced to another firm (Iron Galaxy).

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

redbackground posted:

Again, a Chinese company is in charge of this remaster, not Rocksteady.

My bad, the rocksteady still in the credits had me confused that WB squeezed this out of them.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

So this shouldn't be Rocsteadys problem, it's the producers fault

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's probably for the best to not buy a WB published PC port unless you know for sure it's a decent port from here on out.

The outsourcing of the remasters kinda smacks of cost cutting to try and score some extra bucks out of fairly recent classics, a continuation of the same practices that made the AK port the disaster it was. I doubt there'll be much of anything added to the games to justify another purchase, at any rate.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's disappointing because the ports of AA and AC were great

Patrick_B
Jan 4, 2008
Did everyone forget AC's DirectX 11 disaster already?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Outside companies doing ports is not necessarily a bad thing. The Uncharted remastered collection is FANTASTIC, for instance.

The lack of Origins blows chunks though. Without it, I have no interest. Origins is most desperately in need of a remastered version, both for huge glitches, slowdown, and hella terrible upgrade systems.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Narcissus1916 posted:

Outside companies doing ports is not necessarily a bad thing. The Uncharted remastered collection is FANTASTIC, for instance.

And then there's the pre-patch Zone of the Enders HD collection.

There are other factors that determine how a remaster will work out. My concern over this release is more that I doubt WB cared who picked up the job so long as they said they could do it cheaply.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So for lot of the predator maps, the guards like to bunch up in groups of two. Are there any good strategies for breaking them up? Fear multi-takedowns are fun, but very noisy.

Also, in the combat maps, I'm not sure how to handle the guys who are covered in electricity (not the guys with the rave party sticks). I know you can knock them down with the electrical charge, but do you have to wait until their lightning animation goes away before you can hit them?

Also also, what's this I hear about a second ending?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

This game is pretty fun although I'll admit I paid a whopping $17 for it, all the DLC included, so it's not like I got burned like so many folks did, but holy crap you guys weren't kidding about the Batmobile being lame.

Also why the gently caress can I not (do I need a spoiler here? kinda story/character related) Not change Joker's outfit? It'd be perfect for him to be in his goofy rear end hawaiian shirt tourist outfit while hanging out in random places :argh:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I played Arkham alot for the combat challenge maps, because they were loving cool as gently caress. But I just can't do it on Arkham Knight because they added like twice as many buttons and added more bullshit enemies to compensate.\

How do you deal with Giant enemies with lightning wristblades again? You just save up your combo points to start a takedown and rid of them as quick as possible?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Seventh Arrow posted:

So for lot of the predator maps, the guards like to bunch up in groups of two. Are there any good strategies for breaking them up? Fear multi-takedowns are fun, but very noisy.

Also, in the combat maps, I'm not sure how to handle the guys who are covered in electricity (not the guys with the rave party sticks). I know you can knock them down with the electrical charge, but do you have to wait until their lightning animation goes away before you can hit them?

Devices are good for that. Usually I just target loners when this happens- there's almost always one.

Several weapons can defuse the electric charge- the most popular is the batclaw.

Fargin Icehole posted:

How do you deal with Giant enemies with lightning wristblades again? You just save up your combo points to start a takedown and rid of them as quick as possible?

Batclaw takedown ices them instantly. Try some of the other gadgets, too.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Devices are good for that. Usually I just target loners when this happens- there's almost always one.

Several weapons can defuse the electric charge- the most popular is the batclaw.

Cool, thanks!

quote:

Just to clarify, I think the batclaw takedown is not the one where you pull them toward you and crowbar them - I think it's the one you use combo points for and knocks down the other guys in an AOE.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Discendo Vox posted:

I put down work when I finished the game in the One, but I barely started the PC version because it was such a goddamn trash heap port. I take it the gadgets I start off with won't be enough?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I put down work when I finished the game in the One, but I barely started the PC version because it was such a goddamn trash heap port. I take it the gadgets I start off with won't be enough?

I believe not-however I think the REC and ice grenades can also disable the electricity.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Probably a stupid question, but will the XB1 Return To Arkham have the Asylum Joker challenge maps that were exclusively on PS3? Were those ever on PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Seedge posted:

Probably a stupid question, but will the XB1 Return To Arkham have the Asylum Joker challenge maps that were exclusively on PS3? Were those ever on PC?

I vaguely recall them being part of some game of the year edition, but i could be mistaken. It's been a while since i played them, which reminds me, it's almost time for a replay of the whole series... they're just so good.

• Locked thread