Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Side Quest possible spoilers.

Black Mask and Man Bat are appear to be villains fought in side missions.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mogomra posted:

I only found out today that Black Mask is at the beginning of City... I already knew about Deadshot, Az, and Hush, but wtf.

There is even some interesting tidbits you can find around about him. Like why he is just now going to prison. He was a major prisoner but with Firefly and his gangs help managed to become the first villain to break out of Arkham City. The scene with him being beaten up is after he was recaptured.

He was apparently a major player in the prison prior to his breakout. Holding a gang on par with Joker's or Penguins. You can hear a thug conversation about how Black Mask is probably going to start establishing himself in Arkham City and that they should join up with him, saying Black Mask treats his goons much better then Joker or Penguin. After Joker's death the majority was said to have defected to Black Mask. (Which has a DLC mission involving his 2nd escape attempt.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CuwiKhons posted:

No, that is Azrael. I said Azazel.

Azreal is the Angel of Death, Azazel is a different angel infamous for betraying god and being one of the most notable members of the Grigori a gang of angels that abandoned god.

Azreal is a also a DC character, and Azazel is a marvel comic villain.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

net cafe scandal posted:

Jason Todd is the third Robin who died at the hands of the Joker and became the vigilante Red Hood later.

At least make sure you are correct at least with your trivia. 2nd Robin and he was a crime lord before he became a vigilante.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

lovely writing :v:

Nah he is always a criminal. He is an enemy of the Bat Family for the most part and part of his debut was being a crime boss. He had no issue with working with criminals and had a ton of hench men and with his own drug cartel. The only thing differing him from his rival crime lord Black Mask was that his gang did not sell drugs to children.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I guess Black Mask won't be doing anything important.

The link is gone what happened?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

blackguy32 posted:

Except it does work, only Arkham Knight just doesn't shoot him in the face when he has the chance.

He was going to. Scarecrow just stopped him and turned off his gun when he first planned to do so. Because he wants to make him suffer.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I found Scarecrow creepy and very effective as a villain. (It also helps that he was the main villain and was not overshadowed, like Strange was.) and none of the plot involving Joker taking over Batman's mind would have happened without him and his toxin.

On another note, man Professor Pyg was disturbing. He is disturbing in the comics but hearing him makes it even worse.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Black Mask? Where that would leave Red Hood's DLC then?

On this Black Mask probably survived his fall. With Batman villains you are to assume something did not kill them unless you see their corpse and it is confirmed that said corpse is theirs and dead.

Comics Black Mask for example survived falling from a Skyscraper with everyone assuming he was dead. Then he showed up as a mysterious figure behind the Scenes of War Games and kidnapped Stephanie Brown, while taking control of Gotham's underworld, before too many people realized he was alive.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 29, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Generic Monk posted:

Interesting to hear that black mask got shat on for the sake of a plot twist; the same thing happened in the red hood film I remember seeing. Crown for directly transplanting a plot twist from that obviously goes to Knight though. I wonder what the thought process behind the 'character' of arkham knight was - no one who's just played the games or watched the movies is going to know who jason todd is, and anyone who's even passingly familiar with the less popular Batman works is going to call it instantly. It says a lot about how bad your twist is when the worst instincts of comic book fans, that is to predict a character that looks superficially similar to another is going to have the exact same plot twists, are right on the money. probably wouldn't be so bad if they didn't try and build up the intrigue in the marketing

Here are some panels from the Under the Hood Comic the movie was based on. Black Mask is kind of hilarious.

It's nice to see two sociopaths bond over the ambiguous sex of a Hyena Person.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SonicRulez posted:

I really wish it were possible to save Harvey Dent. Batman's exasperated talk with him once you [spoiler]bring him in is pretty sad. Just a tired "That wasn't my fault, Harvey." As if they'd talked about it millions of times, which I'd believe. That and then "I'm sorry, Harvey."

Harvey was cured for a few years during the Hush Storyline. His face was repaired and he got his mind back. Though he was a darker person then he used to be he became an ally of Batman. Batman even training him as a new crime fighter.

Then the Great White Shark decided to make a power play and had several D List and one B list criminal assassinated. (Orca, KGBeast, Magpie and Arnold Wesker and Scarface.) Shark was probably feeling really petty at the time (Shark had served as a helper for Two Face back in Arkham in exchange for protection. But Harvey refused to help him half the time.) and had Harvey framed for the murders. Batman started to suspect him which eventually resulted in Harvey relapsing and scaring his face again. Batman discovering the Truth only after it was too late.

Rirse posted:

There was that Batman the Animated Series episode where Croc stumbled upon a community of former circus freaks who welcomed him to their community. But he then tried to rob them and gets sent back to jail.

To be fair to Croc here. He was going to rob them after finding out about their money, but decided not to after remembering how kind they were to him. Then Batman showed up having come to capture him and Croc was too aggressive about insisting they kill Batman. When they refused he turned on them attempted to steal the money and locked them up before being captured again by Batman.
It was a pretty cool episode and probably the best Croc episode.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 9, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Nygma was fixed for years. (5 years to be exact.) Probably the only villain I can think of that reformed for longer (and still is reformed) is the Pied Piper. He was still Nygma and by extension an egotistic rear end in a top hat, but he was on the right side of the law during the many years he worked as a detective.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 9, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
You can also just ignore Riddler after shooting the cop.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Grant Morrison's very long run in the comics had a fairly big Bat-family, with the final third being the establishment of Batman Incorporated, a crime-fighting multinational. There's also Gates of Gotham, which is set around the same period and has Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Tim Drake and Damien Wayne working together.

No Man's Land is one of the huge Gotham-wide storylines from a few years ago. A series of disasters (natural and otherwise) leaves Gotham a wreck, and with the government not helping it's up to Batman and his friends (and foes) to keep order. It's one of the main influences behind any story where Gotham is semi-abandoned (like Arkham Knight or Dark Knight Rises).

In a fun bit of Triva No Man's Land is were Black Mask got his Skull like face. Pretty much the guy started a cult and removed his Mask that had been burned on to his face years ago. Which left his face looking like the blacked skull it is. He then inspired people to rip their own faces up as a show of strength or be killed by him and his gang.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 17, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr. Flunchy posted:

So he removed his black skull mask, to reveal *shock* a black skull face?

Ah comicbooks...

Not quite. It was not a shock and his Mask was originally not a Black Skull.

This was his original Mask from when he first showed up.

In No Mans Land he removed his Mask looking like this.

Which after this he started his plans to take control of gotham city and mess with Catwoman his face started to look more skull like. Eventully resulted in his more or less current look.

That's his actual face. Eventually however authors forgot that he does not wear his mask anymore. Eventually leading people to think that his Mask looked like a skull, and resulting in his mask being retconned into a skull.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

blackguy32 posted:

Man, the Red Hood really hates Black Mask.

Red Hood actually lost that fight up there. Because unlike in the DLC for Arkham Knight Black Mask has balls of steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Moltrey posted:

Just be glad Pyg used people with overly specific quirks and oddities and not just generic folks.

He did kidnap Generic folks. He was turning them into Dollotrons, however some people he kidnapped were too flawed for him to make perfect (By his standards) so he killed them and strung them up. Batman pointed out this is why he was caught.

• Locked thread