Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Great Joe posted:

Okay, I got to have a sit-down and record another update, so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf8kpN3MkGY
With special guest Skippy Granola

In which we learn of Ishi's fate, the truth about the drop boxes laying around the planet and the skillshot rating system.

This half of the act has a few of my favourite visuals in the game so far, and I think part of it being in the console demo shows that PCF and Epic agreed with me.

Zain posted:

Whoop whoop! Nice to see this back in black.
You say that, and now I'm thinking there's no part of this game that wouldn't fit an AC/DC soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So are we supposed to intuit that the initial mission where everything went wrong was on Elysium?

Or that the galaxy has only one elevator company?

I mean, either or.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Stygia. And yes.

Actually, you can play through that story in the multiplayer :v:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if the Confederacy only had one elevator company, actually.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
This is one of my favorite shooters of the last few years. Will you be doing the Echoes too?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah sure, why not. Will probably be doing those solo, less meandering, generally focusing on mechanics.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCsNs9I0PVw
(cut version) with kalonZombie

In which we board the monorail, bear witness to further effects of nuclear radiation on the people of Stygia and learn Trishka's reason for becoming a soldier.

This is another act I'm splitting in two. I do like the little juxtaposition we get here, between fighting the Burnouts and the Skulls. The Skulls clearly have some sort of hierarchy with distinct societal roles, knowledge of how to use and maintain machines and some knowledge of English. The Burnouts meanwhile barely look like they tolerate one another, move to wherever there's something to kill and are completely unintelligible. Putting an extended fight with one just before the other is a good way to emphasise just how much more trouble the Burnouts would be for Operation Anarchy than either of the gangs introduced before them.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I love fighting Burnouts because I love the Pistol's Flare gun. So much orange. You don't get a lot of skillshots but drat if it isn't fun.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I have a special love for this game, its pretty dumb, its pretty if not a hell of a lot of fun and its plot isn't too complicated. In other words its the perfect sort of game I can play when I come back from a bad day at work. The pressure of the day just floats away or is blown away more exactly. Looking forward to the videos, just started the first one now.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

There is indeed a lot to love about this gem of a game. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVe-w9NDZKk
(cut version) with Ceciltron

In which we survive a trip through a Burnout nest, cut through the siege laid on General Sarrano from a number of sides and learn the truth about why his ship was out in such a remote region of space.

In a few ways, this part of the act is an emotional climax to the story. Sarrano's finally within reach, Gray delivers his best line in a script full of great lines and we get to finally ride in one of those Vultures that have been harassing us all the way up to this point.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"Suck the tears off my dick you ugly mudfuckers!" is my favorite line in the game. I use it regularly in video game turret sections :dukedog:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
"Here comes Butterdick Jones and his Heavenly rear end in a top hat machine" - a good game.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Ceciltron posted:

"Here comes Butterdick Jones and his Heavenly rear end in a top hat machine" - a good game.
In a script full of cool lines, this next part is particularly dense with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Ze9Jgvmdw
(cut version) with Bobbin Threadbare

In which we make a beeline for the crash-landed Ulysses and the ticking DNA bomb encased therein, while learning the truth about how Elysium was built.

In honor of this act of the game, and its script in particular, I've also made a :frogsiren:VERY CUT VERSION:frogsiren: for your listening pleasure.

Kerris
Jul 12, 2006
Don't you fucking dare compliment a woman's voice on the forums, you fucking creepy stalker.
ffff I can't believe that Grayson and Ishi got played like a fiddle :saddowns:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wait, so that giant wheel we encountered way back in the beginning rolled all the way here (15:30)? I never noticed that before.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Those are two different wheels, but Act 6's design in general bookends nicely with Act 1's. Take a look at around 22:00, then at around the 4-minute mark in Part 2. Both rock formations have clearly been dug into, probably by way of explosives. The bones laying around Act 1 also look very much intact considering the amount of sunlight they'd be under - remember that Stygia orbits around two suns. The way I interpret it is this: there were multiple attempts to dig into the hills above Elysium (Sarrano mentioned they were digging there to bury nuclear waste), but they were interrupted every time by an infestation of Hekatons. The colonists did manage to get at least one mining operation going, and some waste dumped into the resulting dig site (Ishi mentions that the site is swarming with radiation), but didn't move fast enough to prevent the workers' revolt. The wheel in the underground was probably used to dig out more rock to house inmates and waste.

Okay, so there's a lot of worldbuilding involved, but the environment here serves a different narrative element. Act 1 ends with us going through houses made by the Skulls, Act 6 starts in a hotel; Act 1's middle is an underground mining complex for burying nuclear waste, Act 6's middle is a mined out cliff face that was supposed to temporarily house nuclear waste; Act 1 starts in Gray's crashed ship, Act 6 ends in the crashed Ulysses. You don't notice it but your brain does, and it gets you even closer to thinking that as soon as we reach that bomb it'll all be over.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

It's over. This is the final update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J0uLBhWTWw
(cut version) with Zain and Follow Ape Law.

In which we go through the spaceport where Sarrano's craft makes its landing, get Sarrano impaled and make our peace with Trishka about the whole killing her dad thing.

This final act is a big melting pot of what I love about the game. The character interactions reach their highpoints, we witness a lot of Skulls-on-Creeps action, a whole new class of enemy gets introduced, complete with the ability to overcharge their rifles. A lot of games tend to slow down towards the end, but Bulletstorm just keeps ramping up all the way to the end point. That's a ballsy move, pretty unexpected for 2011.

(videos might not have all the quality options yet)

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
This was very much an amazing game, and I still have high hopes that they'll eventually make a sequel.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I love the Shocktroopes.

"I got my scotch, and I'm violently fiddling with my balls in anticipation of your arrival" is a great line too. Especially due to the VA's delivery.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

here's a bonus vid offering unique insights into why that last update took so long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAGuIjmphTw

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Zain posted:

This was very much an amazing game, and I still have high hopes that they'll eventually make a sequel.

I just hope Epic has less creative control. The pseudo-cover-based environments and general FPS ideas (standard guns, difficulty, BLOODY SCREEN SO REAL, etc...) really do it no favors.
I played through this game in Very Hard mode and it was pretty unfun, I really don't recommend it. Setting up skillshots is harder, you basically can't really Rambo across the battlefield, and cover becomes necessary in certain parts. Of course what does and does not count as "cover" is left as an exercise for the player to figure out. It really grinds the arcadey nature down, which is unfortunate.
This is a good game, but there's a reason the Echo challenges are pegged at about Normal difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I sent a PM to baldurk about archiving this LP, so uh...it's been a wild ride. See ya later maybe?

• Locked thread