Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The ramp of the plane drops and the first thing that hits you is the heat and humidity. outside of the airbase perimeter all you can see is jungle. You are ordered off the plane and told to form up.
“Welcome to ‘Nam Men!” You CO shouts. “This unit has been deployed to combat northern communists and keep the world free!”
“We will be undertaking operations against the enemy, be they North Vietnamese Army or Viet Cong. We will hunt them, and we will kill them in such numbers that they will break off their war and run home to uncle Ho.”
“You are all to be stationed here for a tour of one year, starting NOW! Now lets get to it and show Charlie who’s boss!”

FNG

Welcome to another wargaming LP, this time each of you will be taking control of one soldier in Vietnam and trying to survive one year. This will be using the FNG (loving New Guy) rules.

The rules allow for randomly generated everything. In fact, I already have your platoon ready and waiting for names to be attached to it! after that I’ll roll up the missions and tell you the mission goals. The overall Aim is to survive a year, but you want to do uncle Sam proud, so I’ll also be keeping a tally of the Body Count. The US army, in all it wisdom, decided that the way to win the war was just to kill a whole load of Vietnamese! So, we’ll keep track of that, medals and losses.

FNG is what I call a mid to high complexity skirmish wargame, while the basics are relatively simple, it has a reaction system that can be complex. so I’ll give a breakdown of the rules.

Your soldier is made up of five things -
Name - This will be your name to avoid confusion.
Assignment - what gear does your guy carry
Rep - This is your character's skill level high rep characters are better at everything!
Ability - this is a randomly generated trait, form Natural Born Leader to Coward that affects how your guy will fight.
DEROS - Date Eligible for Return from Overseas - The magic number from which you can get out of this commie infested hell and get back to your girl back home. As the game works in 2 week “turns” at the strategic level, this will be 24. (unless you are the Lieutenant, when it will be 12.)

I will assign people as they come, so you may get a good trait, or a bad one. you won’t know until I post this. I will shift things around so if there is a grunt with the pigman skill (better at MG’s) he will have a MG, but it will be mostly random.
Once all the slots are full (it most likely won’t be a full platoon at the start, due to people transferring out or going home sick.) I’ll share them and roll up the first mission.

Missions are random, and can be squad or platoon level. They range from Ambushes to village searches to kill missions. but they all follow the same rules. There are two VERY important numbers you need to know, generated for each mission.

Support Level - This is how much support you have been given, it ranges from 1-6. 1 is bugger all, while six gives you air, artillery and chopper support in huge amounts.

EAL - Enemy Activity Level - This is how active Charlie is in the area - an EAL of 1 can mean lots of no contacts and abandoned locations, EAL of 6 tends to mean multiple enemy platoons and possibly a whole NVA base! EAL can vary by +/- 1 during the mission.

The fun thing? These are not linked, so you can have Support of 6 when hunting an EAL of 1, or visa versa - this reflects the enemy not always being where you think they are.

The final fun bit of jargon is the PEF/PEC - Potential Enemy Force/Contact - these are blips on the map that may or may not be enemy forces, they move randomly, sometimes towards you, sometimes away - sometimes they split into more markers. When you get into LOS of one of these markers, it resolves into either nothing or a enemy contact - be it an angry platoon of VC or an abandoned bunker complex.

Or you know, Both.

Turns

A turn is a amount of time that’s not really set down, (but night lasts 10 turns for example) during which two activation dice are rolled. One for each side. Then every group with a leader who’s rep is equal or below that dice roll gets to move and shoot. (A group is basically any characters within 4” of another model, or a squad, whichever is smaller).
The side who rolled the highest moves all its groups first, then the side who rolled lowest gets to move theirs. On a double, a random event happens then the dice are re-rolled. On a 7, the side who rolled higher gets reinforcements from a random table! This allows the battle to escalate.

Reaction

This is the big thing in FNG. When two opposing figures see each other, they roll rep with some modifiers. This then dictates who can shoot first.

Reaction tests are made by rolling a number of dice equal to your rep (+/- mods) aiming to score under your rep. so a rep 5 guy rolls 5 dice needing to get under 5, while a rep 3 guy rolls 3 aiming for three or less.

After that there are tests for taking fire, losing men and other things - these can cause your man to “duck back” 6” or retire 12” (possibly running off into the jungle, never to be seen again).

Once the reaction phase is over, the active group then gets to shoot (unless prevented by the events above). Then another group is activated. This does mean that one figure can reaction several times in a turn if wave after wave of enemies come at him.

Shooting

Dead simple, your gun has a number of targets - these are how many shots you can fire in a turn - each on is a 1d6+ rep roll (9+ hits, 6 or below misses, in between depends on situations) - targets that are 1” away from each other can be hit without penalty, while bridging the gap between targets costs 1 shot per extra inch.
If a target is hit, it can be OK, stunned, Out Of the Fight (OOF) or Obviously Dead (OD). Stunned targets can’t do anything until they take an action to clear the stun, and will be captured if contact is made by an enemy figure. OOF units may be walking wounded, or they may be down.

Surviving

So, you took a hit - what now? Well, if you are obviously dead, then you are dead, obviously. But if you are out of the fight, things get interesting. if there is someone with the medic skill on the field (like the medic) then they might be able to patch you up and get you back into the fight, or they may be able to make you comfortable until a Duster comes in. (slang for the medevac helicopters.

Once the battle ends, I’ll look at the battlefield - anyone who is OOF and in a “safe” place will then roll on a survival table. They might die of their wounds, get sent back stateside or be patched up and put back on the line.

If you are NOT in a safe place, or if your character fled the field, then you disappear into the jungle. Charlie gets you, and the best you can hope for is a few years in a bamboo cage.

Orders

This will be simple, as you will only have one FNG to handle. Of course, if you screw up and get him killed, well, your back with the popcorn gallery.
Players can move 8” in clear terrain, 4” in rough terrain. They can fast move instead of shooting to move up to another 4/8 inches, depending on how well they roll. they can then shoot. You will basically tell me “go here shoot him” or “go here and carry him back to the medic this way” - the reaction fire stuff is prescribed, so I’ll deal with that.
You can also throw grenades, ready and used LAW’s, set C4 charges and other things. most of them take this turns action.

Realism “settings”

If you’ve played in one of these games before, you know that I like to make things harder - most of the time I hide rules and stuff like that - this time, I’m going to give options.

Ironman. Your orders are emailed to me, and I perform them - you don’t know what the others in the group are doing until you see the turn. communication is limited to what your character could communicate in a short period of time. No communication in thread.
Veteran. orders are given in the open in the thread, but communication is limited to one post of what your guy would say.
FNG - Players are free to discuss tactics and plans to their hearts content in thread. All the time knowing I consider them wusses.

Signing up

So, I need the following - Firstly what force are we playing as? We are part of the Free World Forces (As the terminology of the time called them), so we have the choice of US Army, USMC, or ANZAC. This will affect equipment and squad size (As well as how your fake soldier will talk.)

One Lieutenant - The guy in charge, the big cheese, the guy who you're going to frag after he gets your buddies killed.
One NCO - The guy who’s REALLY in charge.
One RTO - Radioman
One FO - Forward observer for the artillery
One FTO - the FO’s radioman.
One Medic - Patching people up.
Three squad leaders.
Three junior NCO’s - Someone has to take over once the Sarge gets hit!
Lots of grunts!

When you sign up, please state preferences for rank. the LT only has 6 months to serve, so we will need at least one standby for him. (more, as the life expectancy of a 2nd lieutenant in a hot LZ is sixteen minutes, or so I’ve been told.) if you get a grunt, you will get a random weapon, so no bagsying the MG/Bloopers. I’m not showing who has what, as some of you are going to end up with bad traits.

I’ll also need a picture of your FNG so I can make a token, so no one gets confused who’s who - Feel free to raid your favourite vietnam film!

Finally, I need a AO - Vietnam was divided into four Corps -

I Corps - The north, operating in Coastal, Interior and the DMZ.
II Corps - The centre, the Highlands, Interior and coast.
III Corps - Saigon and its surroundings, Free Fire Zone and swamps
IV Corps - The Mekong Delta - Swamps, interior and the Free Fire Zone.

Please pick one. The one with the most votes gets to be your home for the next year!

Let get to this - only 365 and a wakeup to go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

I say we go as the ANZACs in III Corps as Veterans.

In as the platoon sergeant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJMgPOY-M44

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 18, 2015

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Fuckin New Guys can find insignias, traits and gun stats here: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Bm1KCUISK8RdsO2Xizc7pcaJmx2ACaw7W4__Uh8yej0 By katznmaus

Order sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Yz8SA7CzLe7PHx1RA7pND0ppeDsDhLQAVfr0iWefLzU/edit#gid=0

Has to be Anzac and Forward Observation please.

Veteran

II Corps because if we're anywhere near Saigon we'll all end up dying from heroin overdose and venereal disease.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 15, 2015

Logicone
Nov 3, 2012

Fur proud service to ze Axis, I hereby avard myself und mein subordinates ze Better zan Herp Ribbon!

You get ze ribbon! Und YOU get ze ribbon! EVERYONE gets ze ribbon!

Except Herp. Arschloch.
I'd love to get in on this - let's go with ANZAC and I Corps and I want to go as The Medic. Somebody needs to make sure you boys make it home in at most two pieces!

Edit: Durf, forgot difficulty and a picture. I like Veteran myself.

Logicone fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 18, 2015

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Put me in as a Radioman. My vote for our placement is USMC, II Corps. I am totally a Veteran, mainly because I'd be the only FNG otherwise.

And as for a picture, you can't go wrong with the Radioman:

"You know what the three most terrifying words in the English language are? 'We're American soldiers!'"

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 18, 2015

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Alright you goddamn hippies, shape up or you'll catch a bullet in your rear end all before I let Charlie get you you!

US Army, Squad Leader, Ironman difficulty and 1 Corp

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
In as FTO USMC. Veteran.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 18, 2015

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
USMC, I CORPS, JNCO, VETERAN

Edit: Goddamnit pthighs, guess I'll take a Junior NCO. Corporal?

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 18, 2015

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Let's go ANZAC, Grunt, IV corps, Veteran

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 18, 2015

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I'll sign up as a grunt, I'll come up with a picture later.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Anzac, Veteran rules, whatever region lets us kill the most dudes

Ast Squad Leader would be my preference, backup Lt if no one wants it

Preferred picture:

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 18, 2015

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

sniper4625 posted:

USMC, I CORPS, JNCO, VETERAN

Pic to Come

Edit: Goddamnit pthighs, guess I'll take a Junior NCO. Corporal?

Don't worry, I'll have you promoted to FTO after pthighs takes a bullet in the neck. Even if you are both dirty yank traitors to glorious new zealand...no new zealand flag smiley. Shameful.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 18, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Totally signing up as an ANZAC of some sort. But not a grunt. Ill be a Sarge.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

In as Squad Leader, ANZAC, Veteran and I Corps

– NCO, 3, Agile, 9mm SMG, Smoke (for personal reference)

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 19, 2015

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I'm in. I vote Anzac, no preference for AO, difficulty veteran and I'll play a grunt. Gimme five to get a picture, phone posting currently.

edit:

Edit: put me in Endman's corps

Splode fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 18, 2015

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I made a google doc to track our preferences:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1INdkKWYtOAr8GONHMsi9xdjA44wz08JdCfA-kxGK6uM/edit?usp=sharing

Gridlocked and Bacarruda both asked for seargant - is that a squad leader? I don't know my military hierarchy all that well (if the last LP was any indication, I don't know much about military strategy in general...)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Struth, mate. I'm up for this. I vote ANZAC, Veteran, and I'll be a Grunt.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
A diagram of ranks with whoever is parallel and above/below one another could be handy too, so I know whether to radio sarge or the leftenant (do Australians and NZers say it like that?)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1INdkKWYtOAr8GONHMsi9xdjA44wz08JdCfA-kxGK6uM/edit?usp=sharing

Gridlocked and Bacarruda both asked for seargant - is that a squad leader? I don't know my military hierarchy all that well (if the last LP was any indication, I don't know much about military strategy in general...)

Thanks for the spreadsheet, I should have thought of that myself.

There are four seargents - (depending on nation) - Three squad leaders and the NCO. (Although for the Auzzies the NCo might have been known as a Batman.) This is a little rough, but you'll get the idea.

The HQ team has the Leutenant (pronouched left-tenant in the ANZAC forces), the NCO, RTO, the FO and his RTO and the Medic. The NCO is normally a long serving sargent.
Each squad has a Sargent in command, a JNCO (A corpreal or lance-Corpreal) and a bunch of grunts.

The highest ranking leader on the feild will be in command - a sargent when the LT is not present, the LT if he is, or the NCO if the LT buys the farm.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

JosefStalinator posted:

I'd like to be the platoon sergeant, the senior NCO in the platoon. He advises the platoon leader (the lieutenant) and conveys orders to the sergeants in charge of each platoon.

Assuming we are playing as the ANZACs, our platoon will be organized like this:

Platoon HQ:
Platoon Commander: 2nd Lieutenant
Platoon Sergeant: Sergeant
Signaler: LCpl/Private
Medic: LCpl/Private
Forward Observer (attached):

1, 2, and 3 Sections
Section Commander: Corporal
Assistant Section Commander (also may carry the M79 grande launcher): Lance Corporal
M60 Gunner: Private
Assistant Gunner: Private
2x Scouts: Privates
4x Riflemen: Privates

Usual practice for the Australians was to divide the section into three groups: 1) Command & Scout Group (three men), 2) Gun Group (three men with the M60 machine gun), and 3) the Rifle Group (four men).

http://www.gruntsview.org/psetup.html
http://www.4rarmuseum.com/Unit%20Organisation.htm

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 18, 2015

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I believe the head NCO is the Sergeant Major equivalent of the British army, basically the big bloke who shouts a lot and has the ear of the officer and pretty much runs the place, then the sergeants (squad leaders) are the guys who shout at you to get out of bed and put your socks on because charlie's coming

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

Thanks for the spreadsheet, I should have thought of that myself.

There are four seargents - (depending on nation) - Three squad leaders and the NCO. (Although for the Auzzies the NCo might have been known as a Batman.) This is a little rough, but you'll get the idea.

The HQ team has the Leutenant (pronouched left-tenant in the ANZAC forces), the NCO, RTO, the FO and his RTO and the Medic. The NCO is normally a long serving sargent.
Each squad has a Sargent in command, a JNCO (A corpreal or lance-Corpreal) and a bunch of grunts.

The highest ranking leader on the feild will be in command - a sargent when the LT is not present, the LT if he is, or the NCO if the LT buys the farm.

Gotcha. So Bacarruda, did you mean the NCO when you asked for platoon sargeant? Or did you want the lieutenant?

If you meant NCO, I can change. I can take Lieutenant if no one else wants it, but I'd rather not hog the spot after being field marschall last game.

EDIT: Didnt' see Bacarruda's post, fixed

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

I signed up to be a medic, but they made me a Junior NCO. I have no idea what i am doing but luckily we are all Veterans here!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Basic visualization.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Does...Does that mean I have the authority to radio in my own airstrikes and artillery? :allears:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Saurus posted:

Does...Does that mean I have the authority to radio in my own airstrikes and artillery? :allears:

Yes, the FO can call in support, In fact, anyone with a radio can try, but your limited to one active support at a time, and it works better if the FO/LT does it.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Alright, I'll be an assistant squad leader since Bacarruda wanted NCO before I did.

However, if absolutely no one wants the LT, I can take it. I'd have fun roleplaying Lt. Kilgore, but I don't want to hog the leadership two Grey LP's in a row.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

ANZAC, III Corps, Grunt

I'm an FNG but I'm going to say I'm a veteran and hope I can get away with it.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
If we can't fill all the higher ranks I'm guessing everyone's just going to get promoted/merged for the time being anyway.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
FTO ANZACS Veterans is my nomination

Further details for those ranks, for the US army:

* The NCO reporting directly to the LT would be a Sergeant First Class.
* The NCOs leading squats would be Sergeants or Staff Sergeants
* Junior NCO would typically be a a corporal

For the Australian army:

* NCO reporting directly to the LT would be a Sergeant
* NCOs leading squads would be Corporals
* Junior NCOs would be Lance Corporals

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Saurus posted:

If we can't fill all the higher ranks I'm guessing everyone's just going to get promoted/merged for the time being anyway.

The higher ranks are pretty much full outside of Lt, so we're good.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Personally I wouldn't mind a mixture of veteran and ironman rules where we email you our turns but we still get our one post to talk in the thread. I just don't want to be limited in what I can say when I'm probably going to have to be radioing coordinates back and forth all the time

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Let me also say that the Veteran rules seem the best for roleplaying purposes, and I'd really enjoy giving a single post of orders as Kilgore, whether it be as a lieutenant or junior NCO.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

ANZAC Grunt, Veteran, III Corps

Makes it easy to cover for lack of participation.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 18, 2015

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
Oh boy!

Veteran
I Corps

Signing up Being drafted as a Grunt for ANZAC.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
So I am I right in thinking Corps 1 and 2 is going to be more fighting the NVA while 3 and 4 will be counter-VC?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Saurus posted:

So I am I right in thinking Corps 1 and 2 is going to be more fighting the NVA while 3 and 4 will be counter-VC?

Yeah, The main enemies are NVA in the north, and then Main Force VC (MFVC) and Local Force VC (LFVC) as you head south. The longer the trail, the less supplies that get south,

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
IV Corps, Veteran, ANZAC. I'm going in as an Assistant Section Leader for Gridlocked.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is it too late to be an ANZAC Veteran grunt serving with I Corps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

ANZAC, Veteran, III Corps

Private Jaguars! is a Grunt

If possible, make him technically proficient but also a massive coward.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 18, 2015

• Locked thread