Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's gonna win???
Alex
Amanda
Daria
Dianna
Gabi
Giorgia
Hank
Joshua
Mada
Patrick
Sara
Tanner
Zamariah
One legged military guy making a comeback
View Results

• Locked thread
The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I said this in the wwe thread, but it annoyed me a lot. Billy Gunn tearing that guy down for saying mother fucker was the lamest thing I have seen from wwe in a while. "Mr rear end" the guy who's gimmick was showing his rear end to the crowd and telling people to suck his dick if they don't like him is telling a guy to not curse in front of ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The difference is his catchphrase was always watered down from a S&P perspective, and motherfucker has never been allowed on any of the networks they've been on. Furthermore, DX's shenanigans with pseudo profanity wouldn't be allowed on their program today.

While that's true the whole thing of dressing the guy down in front of everyone because he cursed in front of ladies coming from Mr rear end Billy Gunn just came off as really forced and lame.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
It would be like Snoop Dogg telling you to cool it on the songs about weed.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Benne posted:

"Don't say the F word on network TV" is, like, TV training 101. Better to get it out of their system now than to deal with the heat when you accidentally drop "motherfucker" on Raw.

It would be weirder if Billy didn't mention it.

It wasn't him telling him not to say the f word though. That's fine and understandable. It's this corporate faux outrage about offending the women in the building that got to me. It's the moral indignation.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

DynamiteKidd posted:

I was actually considering making a video for TE. First I said "I'm a cruiserweight, I can cruiser-wait til next year when I'm in better shape, jack", then I heard they were mostly looking for people who would be reality TV 'characters' so like jeez whatever.

I know Meltzer was really critical of the selection because they're almost all competitive bodybuilders, and there were never any in TE ever before. So, jeez, the whole "This could be you!!!" appeal is a little fraudulent. These guys all look like they could eat Matt Capotelli.

EDIT: My pick is Mada and he comes to the main roster to join Konnor, Neville, and a returning Christian to form the Rat Pack

Yeah that was kind of bothering me too. I like the first couple seasons when there are a lot of skinny little dorks. Everybody on this season looks to be pretty athletic and will probably pick up wrestling fairly quick. Who knows though. I am glad they brought that Brazilian girl back though. I enjoyed her getting on peoples nerves.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

ShakeZula posted:

This surprised me, since it seemed like Samantha just barely missed the cut while Brazilian girl was roundly disliked.

Makes for better reality tv.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Codependent Poster posted:

Nah, Tanner's right in that Patrick is coming across as fake. He's pushing the "I'm the only fan!" angle too hard.

It works though because he is already crafting a gimmick and selling it to the audience, and if he gets voted off he can get the twitter fans talking about how it was rigged and Patrick was the only real fan anyway. It's really smart.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Samurai Foochs likes to watch a cute woman cry.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I honestly liked Gabi. She made me laugh.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Gabi rules. Only dorks don't like her

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
How has Amanda not been voted off yet. She is just the worst.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Patrick rules, he is playing the game so perfectly. He is made to be a pro wrestler.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The rest of the contestants are just pissed at Patrick because he is picking the show up faster than them, and they are being left in the dust.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

pressedbunny posted:

Okay, he did do the better promo of the two, but gently caress the cheap USA pop.

That's the smartest move you can do in wrestling.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I love when they ask ZZ a question and you can see him absorb it for a good 5 seconds before answering with some endearing or hilarious thing.

Yeah ZZ is honestly awesome.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
How the gently caress did Josh not get eliminated. Dude has no personality.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Codependent Poster posted:

Josh seems okay to me. He's got a personality and seems like a nice guy.

What's his personality other than pretty nice guy who happens to be big.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

He's not really like that. Dude obviously hammed it up after the first couple weeks because of all the warnings to not fade into the background. It just bit him in the rear end because he went too over the top.

Yeah its pretty obvious he was working the show.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

oatgan posted:

Jeremiah was a crazy egomaniac though and they dodged a bullet not hiring him

Yeah because big egos never make money in wrestling.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

triplexpac posted:

That's kind of been the thing about Tough Enough all along: you're giving so many people an audience and a backstory, you might as well just hire them all.

Of course, you should probably do it like Ultimate Fighter and fill the show full of people who aren't completely untrained, but meh.

I was thinking this the other day. Tough enough would be way better if it was about working wrestlers trying to get a contract.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Hulk Hogan said friend of the family.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I love Daniel Bryan giggling through the whole thing.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Also Mada sucks

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I think Mada would be really annoying to hang out with.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Whats funny is that wwe getting mad at ZZ really kind of highlights some of the problems with wwe. Everyone wants the wrestlers to be able to do literally anything now. Talk, wrestle, be charismatic, and they don't take into consideration that some people just don't have it all. If this was an older promotion they could have ZZ go out there with some really basic rear end training have him be himself take a few bumps and get over by being himself. I always think of ECW and how Paul Heyman made New Jack and Sandman into main event people. Two dudes who couldn't wrestle at all, but they had some weird charisma and he made it so they really didn't need to really wrestle all that much and boom instant stars. They knew that ZZ wasn't in shape and really didn't seem like he wanted to be in shape. Not to mention that he is like 19 years old and really is just doing it for fun. They just really don't look at the long term side of things.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Be careful what you wish for. Don't put a fat kid on Tough Enough because he's a reality star and then expect him to run his course or whatever. When you bring in some Swamp People kid to try to appeal to a larger audience with your show, you really don't have a right to get lovely when that audience keeps the guy around.

They had every opportunity to have this not happen by not casting him, but here we are. If he wins, they get what they deserve.

I agree, it's not ZZ's fault that they brought him back. It's like when republicans get mad at a republican for blatantly saying something they have been dog whistling for months.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
yo if anything, dude is a lazy overachiever.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

No one else is learning to sell yet though. I can see why they'd be bothered by that.

That doesn't make any sense.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The Miz is the best goddamn heel in the business. He is firing wild on everyone.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

How does it not make sense? They're running drills, they're doing things mechanically because most of them have no clue what they're doing. They're not being told to sell.

So what, why should a person who is clearly more knowledgeable have to go backwards and take baby steps just because the other contestants have no idea what they are doing.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I love that miz is just trying to be a poo poo stirrer.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

armoredgorilla posted:

I hope when this is all over they bring back Tough Talk in some sort of roundtable form where 3-5 wrestlers show up each week and pick something wrestling related to talk about.

I would seriously watch this show every episode.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

ZZ is gonna be the next Sid.

The best wrestler in the world?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I love ZZ talking about vegans and he still just comes off as totally cool and likeable.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just can't get into Josh at all. He just bores the living piss out of me.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Hammerstein posted:

Exactly this. They always dream of getting the total package, a guy who can wrestle, talk, has the looks and is over with the crowd. They completely forget that for every John Cena you have 50 Zack Ryders or 100 Alex Rileys and that someone who is gifted in all these departments might have other options than sports entertainment.

With so many legends dying off recently you really start to notice what unique characters the greatest among them were. And that we won't see the likes of them again in our lifetime.

Well think about it like this too. Undertaker didn't become a good worker until pretty recently. He wasn't really a good promo for a really long time either. So how do we fix that? Let Paul Barrer do the talking, and lets make his matches short to make him look dominating. One of the trainers Billy Gunn was pretty good in the ring, but on the mic he really wasn't that interesting. Road Dogg wasn't a good worker, but he was good on the mic. Let's team them up. It doesn't take much to figure this stuff out. Why do they think all these old wrestling tropes like managers and tag teams exist in the first place. They are ways to hide the wrestlers weak areas while emphasizing their strong points. I think WWE just takes themselves way too seriously.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Charles Gnarwin posted:

ZZ not understanding the concept of learning would have been the highlight of Tough Talk if we didn't get Paige being utterly confused by his use of the English language.

And honestly, Vince is right for once. Josh is probably the best prospect from this bunch. He has size, a very marketable look, charisma, and he looks to move well in the little bit of ring work we've seen.

I honestly don't see the charisma. He bores the poo poo out of me. I think Tanner has some charisma but he doesn't know how to channel it. I was actually thinking while watching Tough Talk Tanner and ZZ would make a good tag team.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Matt Capiccioni is Son of Havoc in Lucha Underground

And he already had a pretty big indy following as M Dogg 20. Dude has been wrestling for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Dead Snoopy posted:

Mick Foley gets a pass because of the obvious hypocrisy, gender issue aside.

The WWE resents its audience for its unwillingness to participate in the narrative they'd prefer to shape or the outcome they desire to see transpire. Thus the mean spirited attacks on people who are thriving despite the poorly conceived set of checks and balances. Yes, ZZ & Sarah Lee and to a degree Amanda are horrible but they put them into the competition and then came across the realization that the fan based aspect of the system didn't reward the participants for their athletic abilities and skill sets the way the WWE intended. This is even in spite of them being able to shape the narrative w/ the video packages for the week in review. So what do they do? Go wild on the comments about the participants be it about their motivations for being in the contest, their work ethic, and everything else that may debunk the outcome.

Imagine having an employee of the month contest that is decided purely by the employees with $250,000 on the line and then the employees choose someone who is popular for whatever reasons but pure clown-shoes as a worker. The WWE just did this - twice in one shot. So instead of just letting this embarrassing fiasco disappear like an elevator fart over time, they devote an extra hour to pointing out that one woman is a bland, barely skilled,potential slut only loved by the COO's small children while another failed participant is a lazy opportunist coasting on a platform others gave him.

As an entertainment company which has traditionally prided itself on shaping the narrative of its presentation for profit, this is an outright failure, on par with other failures like The Gobbledygooker' (failed mascot), 'The Brawl For All' (failed special attraction) and literally giving the audience member a $1 million dollar bribe/reward. This is some poo poo that should be forgotten about quickly and swept under the carpet - almost like the LAST outcome of Tough Enough - though the difference is that prior incarnation was at least wildly entertaining for weeks on end. This is a company who year after year wants to depict its fan base as being the be all an end all of democracy but if they reject the story's narrative - be it booing the Royal Rumble, seizing fan's signs or voting for an undeserving person in a democratic contest - then the company and sometimes the entertainers turn on the fans themselves.

This time, the WWE turned on the participants of a poor Darwinian experiment they sponsored in an effort to redeem their poor decision making. I never really want to see any of them again - aside from Josh, who, I confess, went through the process and became more likable and lost weight - but let's not blame the winners for the failure of the contest's guidelines. Let's not publicly ridicule them while giving them A QUARTER OF A loving MILLION DOLLARS APIECE as if that's the last option to squeeze some value of entertainment out of this albatross of a contest. Just take your loving lumps, shut up and move forward.

Isn't that what the coaches teach the trainees after all?

Ok, but what does Mick Foley have to do with this?

• Locked thread