Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
$1500 can get you some surprising cars in Las Vegas. Here is my "replacement" for my formerly stolen wagon, a 1992 Buick Century sedan. The only options on this car appear to be a tape deck, 3.3L Buick V6, and four speed automatic. (Click all for bigger.)

I love old people cars. The body and interior are in amazing condition, especially considering it lived at least part of its life in Florida. (Anyone wanna run a Carfax for me?)

I have named it Goldilocks. Probably a little uncreative, but it fits. It's not too big, and not too small. The power profile of the Buick V6 (peak torque at 2000 rpm) combined with the 2.73 final drive make it not too fast, and not too slow. The air conditioning with tinted windows make it not too hot and not too cold. Juuuuuuuust right.

Quirks include a reticence with regards to idling, which I hope can be cured with a new idle speed control motor, cleaning the throttle body, or both, and a plunger switch that controls the fuel pump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think every car deserve its fans. It makes me happy that you're so dedicated to A-Bodies - most of these just got thrown away.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I think every car deserve its fans. It makes me happy that you're so dedicated to A-Bodies - most of these just got thrown away.
That's how it starts, though. Then one day you go "Hey, wow, look at that" as you see something that used to be on every corner, and is now a once-in-a-decade unicorn sighting.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
3.3 you say? poo poo, who left this here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyKkYG8_EkI

What's going on with the wagon?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
That guy is whacko. Completely gutted interior, four speed Muncie swap, exhaust from the turbo dumping through a hole in the driver's fender. I love everything about that car. Check out this thread on a-body.net.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What's going on with the wagon?

Currently loaned to my mom so it's not just sitting at my house waiting to possibly be stolen again, since it can literally be started with a screwdriver. I still haven't installed a new ignition.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I bought this car from a mechanic who put an engine in it because his customer blew a head gasket... Don't drive around with the temperature idiot light on for a week, folks. It drove well enough for about four days, then simply wouldn't start one morning. I have done several things to fix this, but to no avail. A brief overview:

—Preemptively, I asked the mechanic to replace the crank position sensor on the "new" engine before he put it in, since it's a pain in the rear end to do on your own. He showed me the receipt for the part, and I can see shiny new plastic down at the connector. (The engine is not sequential injection, so it does not have a cam position sensor.)
—Checking for fuel at the rail resulted in a dribble, rather than the expected spray. Replaced fuel pump with known good unit.
—I then found out that the toggle switch I was having to use to make the pump run was a savant bypass of a blown fuse and bad relay. $16 later, and removal of the now-extraneous switch and wiring, there is good pressure at the rail. Still no start.
—Spark looks weak. Ignition module tested good at Autozone. I swapped the coils over from my wagon (same part), still nothing.
—I bought a multimeter and checked the resistance on each fuel injector, since they are known for shorting out, and the computer's fail-safe is to disable the injector driver entirely. All six read ~12.8 ohms, spec is 12-ish.

Now I'm stumped. The engine is getting fuel, air, and spark, so there is no physical reason it should not be running, as far as I can tell.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Left Ventricle posted:

Now I'm stumped. The engine is getting fuel, air, and spark, so there is no physical reason it should not be running, as far as I can tell.

Only one thing left that would stop it....

....the engine itself.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Maybe it just needs more air, like, from a turbocharger?

Like an asthma thing?

Seriously though, the toggle switch worries me a bit (mostly why it was needed, as opposed to its existence). Did it just replace that blown fuel pump relay and fuse (done blowed out agin!) or are we talking about the ECU having some kind of driver to control the fuel pump that might be damaged?

How is the timing controlled? Good compression numbers when you spin the engine on the starter?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 23, 2015

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Sigh... This is the part where I look like an idiot in front of the internet. The reason the car wouldn't start is that my driveway sits on an incline, so the couple of gallons of fuel in the tank had moved away from the pickup for the pump. It tried to start on starting fluid, so I rolled it into the street and the drat thing started. :doh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Left Ventricle posted:

Sigh... This is the part where I look like an idiot in front of the internet. The reason the car wouldn't start is that my driveway sits on an incline, so the couple of gallons of fuel in the tank had moved away from the pickup for the pump. It tried to start on starting fluid, so I rolled it into the street and the drat thing started. :doh:

We all do it man. Its okay.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Left Ventricle posted:

I have had literally the exact same happen to me. Even as far as confirming everything.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
poo poo happens. At least you diked out the previous owner's fuel pump switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
After doing all this fuel system work you really should replace the fuel filter as well. Because it would suck to do all this work then some tiny piece of fuel filter breaks off and clogs everything up.

• Locked thread