Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smoobles

people who've played it for 300+ hours are saying "this game sucks" lmao whwy did you spend every waking moment playing a game you dislike

anyway i havent played starbound and never will because anyone who pays for an early access game is dumb

thanks for reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

the only early access games I played were mine craft and mount and blade and both of those turned out to be v good so I'm gonna quit while I'm batting 1.000 for early access

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

smoobles

"i played this game every awake moment of my day for six months but the devs changed something, i am loving angry that i wasted 15 dollars on this poo poo!!!!"

-an early access gamer

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

dumb crambo
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
my friend bought a four pack of starbound and gave me one and every few months he makes us play it and then complains that the devs "ruined it!!"

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

smoobles posted:

"i played this game every awake moment of my day for six months but the devs changed something, i am loving angry that i wasted 15 dollars on this poo poo!!!!"

-an early access gamer

so every waking moment of their life for six months is worthless but GODDAMMIT THEY SPENT $15!!!

Mapparu

i hate starbound and ive played 20 minutes of it is that ok

smoobles

Mapparu posted:

i hate starbound and ive played 20 minutes of it is that ok

that is actually normal, yes

----------------

cute anime girl

I like Starbound.

cute anime girl

I haven't played it since before the winter update hit. How is it now? Does anybody know? Hello?

Wertjoe

Starbound was the game that taught me not to buy into early access. What a pile of turds it is.

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
I've heard of this and thought it looked like a lovely terraria clone.

----------------

Miss Psychosis

drilldo squirt posted:

I've heard of this and thought it looked like a lovely terraria clone.

Lol

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

viedo games turn people into assholes

joke_explainer

I've had a pretty good experience with early access overall and don't mind it. It's not like you ever had the promise of them delivering entertainment being guaranteed for even non-early access games. EA just lets you read about their development which is sometimes interesting or hilariously mismanaged. It's like a couple bucks generally and you assume the risk, I don't know why people get so mad.

Wertjoe

joke_explainer posted:

I've had a pretty good experience with early access overall and don't mind it. It's not like you ever had the promise of them delivering entertainment being guaranteed for even non-early access games. EA just lets you read about their development which is sometimes interesting or hilariously mismanaged. It's like a couple bucks generally and you assume the risk, I don't know why people get so mad.

The thing that makes people mad is when the early access games make a ton of money and then the developers just cash out and never continue to update the game or just have a small patch and call it released. A really good example of this is Cube World. It was an interesting looking open world game and it launched an early access alpha that netted the developer a ton of money then no one ever heard from him again.

ron color
these starbound reviews sound a lot like byob posts

Piso Mojado

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

viedo games turn people into assholes

Al Borland

by XyloJW

smoobles posted:

people who've played it for 300+ hours are saying "this game sucks" lmao whwy did you spend every waking moment playing a game you dislike

anyway i havent played starbound and never will because anyone who pays for an early access game is dumb

thanks for reading

There's one early access game you should play smoobles. Cause its free and legit up your alley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGhqaCHt2Jw

Smoobles house of jumpscares.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/356670/

----------------

joke_explainer

Wertjoe posted:

The thing that makes people mad is when the early access games make a ton of money and then the developers just cash out and never continue to update the game or just have a small patch and call it released. A really good example of this is Cube World. It was an interesting looking open world game and it launched an early access alpha that netted the developer a ton of money then no one ever heard from him again.

its a risk you agree to take when you agree to the early access. like the warning for DayZ:

“DayZ Early Access is your chance to experience DayZ as it evolves throughout its development process. Be aware that our Early Access offer is a representation of our core pillars, and the framework we have created around them. It is a work in progress and therefore contains a variety of bugs. We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage unless you clearly understand what Early Access means and are interested in participating in the ongoing development cycle.”

and

"WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME "

It says, 'We strongly advise you not to buy' and 'PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE', I mean, do people think early access is winking when it says those things? lol. You accept that risk when you buy Early Access. Every single one says, wait for it to come out to buy if you don't want to take the risk that it's development isn't completed or interrupted. To me its like,
Developer: 'Well, okay, you can give us money if you really want to, we'll make a go at making this game, but no promises, okay?'
Buyer: 'Sure, sounds great, here's my cash.' then,
Buyer: 'What the gently caress!! Why isn't the game done!! I paid 15 bucks for this!!'

like, it's complaining about a possibility that is stated when you hit the 'buy' button, but early access people act like they paid zero attention to the process and never understood that it might not get done.

google THIS

early access is almost a necessity for indie developers who don't have a big publishing company to front a bunch of money so they can eat and develop the game at the same time

morning wood

joke_explainer posted:

Developer: 'Well, okay, you can give us money if you really want to, we'll make a go at making this game, but no promises, okay?'
Buyer: 'Sure, sounds great, here's my cash.' then,
Buyer: 'What the gently caress!! Why isn't the game done!! I paid 15 bucks for this!!'

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
i just played some starbound and i liked it

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

early access is just funny to me cuz they manage to rope in people to invest without any of the expectations of real investors nor responsibilities of loans using traditional methods. that's prob why I never participated in any besides the first two attempts, when I was dumber

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

yeah sure I'll take this early adopter t shirt instead of possible cash with an IPO

mags

i played the game and did some stuff in the game and then turned it off when i was done playing it like i would any other game

paul_soccer12 posted:

mags

i think ill play this game some more actually

paul_soccer12 posted:

joke_explainer

google THIS posted:

early access is almost a necessity for indie developers who don't have a big publishing company to front a bunch of money so they can eat and develop the game at the same time

yeah indie developers either give up a few years of their entire life to work on a game (that 99.999% of the time achieves no success or notice whatsoever, it's seemingly random what gets noticed in the constant wash of games out there, you might make a couple hundred bucks in general, so like 0.0000004 cents an hour) or they spend like a decade working on it in their spare time (and again, probably get nothing for it). I mean look at the story for the terribly named arena game 'Forced':

These like 15 dudes moved into a cheapass house and lived like a cult working on this game for years. You can't have a family or really any other focus in your life in an environment like that. Who wants to work like that? From what I've heard it was pretty much a flop too, so that's just depressing.

DeepQantas

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
1. Find a guitar or other music instrument
2. Download some cool custom songs
3. Join some friends in multiplayer
4. Follow them around as a wandering bard
5. Have fun while not mining a single dirt block

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland

by XyloJW

DeepQantas posted:

1. Find a guitar or other music instrument
2. Download some cool custom songs
3. Join some friends in multiplayer
4. Follow them around as a wandering bard
5. Have fun while not mining a single dirt block

accordian starwars is the only way to play.

----------------

• Locked thread