Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

From Wikipedia:

quote:

Pikmin (ピクミン Pikumin?) is a real-time strategy video game developed and published by Nintendo for the GameCube video game console in 2001. It was created and designed by Shigeru Miyamoto,[4] and is the first game in the Pikmin series. The player controls Captain Olimar, an astronaut who crash lands on a mysterious planet. Olimar soon befriends creatures he calls "pikmin", and utilizes their abilities to collect the missing parts of his spaceship he lost during the crash. The player has 30 days to recover the pieces and repair the ship. Both Olimar and the Pikmin are approximately one inch in height.[5]

What's this?
Hi friends! I'm Faerie Fortune and I haven't played a lot of classic video games. I'm trying to fix that, and I'm documenting it for the internet! I, along with my good buddy gnome7 have therefore decided to blind LP every single Pikmin game! I'll be discovering the game for the first time and gnome will be my helpful guide as I push boxes and throw tiny carrot mans at flowers!

Are you aiming to 100% the game?
Since this is a blind run, mistakes will be made. Huge, huge mistakes. I will try my best to get every Pikmin and to keep them all alive but mishaps can and will happen and I'm somewhat bad at videogames, so please don't expect masterful play here. Just sit back, relax and enjoy all the charm that this adorable little game has to offer.

What's your update schedule?
Videos will be generally uploaded late morning/early afternoon BST on Fridays, with a second video happening on Tuesdays if I have enough backlog to manage it!

What's your spoiler policy?
The game seems pretty light on story so far but even so this is a no black bar zone. Please no storyline or gameplay spoilers, no matter how subtle you think you're being. I want to discover this stuff as the game wants me to, and having people in the thread falling over themselves to tell me about game mechanics we won't see yet really ruins that so please be kind and only discuss things we've seen!

Videos
Youtube Playlist

Pikmin (Gamecube)

Episode 1 - I Know You From Smash
Episode 2 - I Must Accept The Consequences
Episode 3 - Why Is Dolphin Screaming At Me?
Episode 4 - Pikmin Are Terrifying
Episode 5 - A Productive Day
Episode 6 - Olimar Is Very Disappointed
Episode 7 - Herding Kittens
Episode 8 - Water And Sand Are Different Things
Episode 9 - Frog Nuggets
Episode 10 - Bomb Rock Safety
Episode 11 - You Are Rude
Episode 12 - I Don't Like Mushrooms, Guys
Episode 13 - I Wouldn't Trust Olimar With A Pencil
Episode 14 - All About Them Creepy Eggs
Episode 15 - I Have Made Some Mistakes, Gnome
Episode 16 - Let's Not Fight Frog Nuggets
Episode 17 - The Cannon Beetles Battle Cry
Episode 18 - Blue Argyle Snagret
Episode 19 - Delicious Cake Turret
Episode 20 - Why Did You Do That?
Episode 21 - Excuse Me?
Episode 22 - Pikmin Magic
Episode 23 - Puzzle Time With Joey
Episode 24 - Blues Have Got Your Back
Episode 25 - I Already Feel Like a Monster
Episode 26 - We Need Sacrifices
Episode 27 - That Was Not The Surprise I Was Expecting
Episode 28 - Frenemy
Episode 29 - Heavy Sigh
Episode 30 - Science Facts With Gnome

Challenge Mode
Bonus 1 - We Found Challenge Mode (Impact Site)
Bonus 2 - Every Direction Is Bulborbs (Forest of Hope)
Bonus 3 - Please Stop Murdering Pikmin (Forest Navel)
Bonus 4 - Lets Talk About Splatoon (Hidden Spring)

Pikmin 2 (Gamecube)
Episode 1 - Why's The Ship Talking To Us?
Episode 2 - They Got Smarter, Gnome!
Episode 3 - Let Me Get My Crochet Hooks
Episode 4 - What Is It???
Episode 5 - Left Is The One With The Burn Scars
Episode 6 - Egg-Based Treats
Episode 7 - Let's Nap
Episode 8 - There Are Many Things Happening Right Now
Episode 9 - Lets Kill Flowey
Episode 10 - I'm Onto You
Episode 11 - Donnie
Episode 12 - Hell's Kitchen
Episode 13 - Mad World
Episode 14 - Weird Coffee Magic
Episode 15 - Toothless Amiibo Sharks
Episode 16 - The Not Friend Count
Episode 17 - Can't Stop The Dumple
Episode 18 - I Will Name Him Sgt Fuzzles
Episode 19 - Snack Break
Episode 20 - Happy Birthday Bugs
Episode 21 - Many Impossible
Episode 22 - Orb Explosions
Episode 23 - I Have To Go Now, The Abyss Needs Me
Episode 24 - I'm Glad We Had That Awful Dream
Episode 25 - Pikmin Is A Cover Shooter Now
Episode 26 - I'm Glad I Like Spiders
Episode 27 - Spiders And Frogs, Teaming Up At Last
Episode 28 - I Want To Cook One
Episode 29 - Really Emotional About Spiders

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Fanart

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 31, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I've never played a Pikmin game, but I do know of it, it's just one of those games I've often looked at in the shops and thought, "Yeah, this looks alright, maybe I'll get it someday" but I never did, not because I thought it was bad, it just didn't appeal to me personally.

Shall be interested to see this though.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Yay Pikmin

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

As though a million voices cried out in pain and betrayal.

And were slowly and painfully silenced.

:munch:

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Hahaha, good luck OP, especially when you get to 2, oh you are going to hate that :getin:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That one Pikmin in the box just did not want to do any work. I recommend he receive an immediate dismissal for slacking on the job :colbert:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Oh there will be many massacres of carrot people before this ends.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The game is bursting with charm. It's nice to see someone discovering it.

I don't know how much you've recorded, but in case it hasn't come up yet, you can blow the whistle while moving. Sweeping it side to side, holding it down for maximum range, while you move is the best way to find stray pikmin that you've lost from the group. Even in battle its helpful to ensure you get everyone out of danger.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Nice, these games are great, especially Pikmin 2 which I think has a very strong argument for being the best game of its generation.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
Pikmin owns. Pikmin 2 owns more. Never got around to 3.

This game lends itself very well to heartbreaking situations due to not knowing what's coming up, so I'm very much looking forward to this.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Years ago I bought a Pikmin case at a Gamestop GC/PS2/GBA firesale and it turned out to have a Pikmin 2 disc in it.

I still haven't tried playing it :negative: Hopefully this will change things.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pikmin is good, it's fun, it's adorable and I can't wait to see how you handle stuff from later. :allears:

I should probably get around to finishing Pikmin 3 before you get to it, it was a lot of fun and it's a really great reason to own a Wii U.

C-Euro posted:

Years ago I bought a Pikmin case at a Gamestop GC/PS2/GBA firesale and it turned out to have a Pikmin 2 disc in it.

I still haven't tried playing it :negative: Hopefully this will change things.

Some might consider that a stroke of good luck since the GameCube version of Pikmin 2 is kind of expensive. :v:

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

If you're going to really Let's play ALL the Pikmin games you have to lp the Overlord series as well. :v:

(Or not since smite had a comprehensive thread with 100% playthroughs not too long ago.)

But good luck with keeping all of them alive.You should keep a death tally for our amusement.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Faerie Fortune posted:

I will try my best to get every Pikmin and to keep them all alive
Oh this LP will be great. :getin:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
This might be my favorite game ever, so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I'm super excited about this! I've never played Pikmin (never able to find it in stores and I don't have the cash/computer that isn't 2crap4dolphin these days :( ) so having the ability to see someone else play it blind is kind of like being able to play it myself. :3:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Last Transmission posted:

If you're going to really Let's play ALL the Pikmin games you have to lp the Overlord series as well. :v:

(Or not since smite had a comprehensive thread with 100% playthroughs not too long ago.)

But good luck with keeping all of them alive.You should keep a death tally for our amusement.

The game keeps a death tally for us, so no worries there! Every episode will end with a beautiful reminder of what has been lost.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Oh my god :neckbeard:

I can't wait for more of this.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fae, what is the status of that other game (no, not Majora's Mask) that you were going to do?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Pikmin is very cute and fun.

This will be good. :)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh sure, Fae SAYS she'll try to keep 'em alive. I bet she'll end up as Pikmin-Joseph Stalin by the end of the series.

Or, keeping in mind with what she said when she first saw the Pikmin, Pikmin-Rose Quartz :getin:

Samovar fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 25, 2015

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Update Time!

Episode 2 - I Must Accept The Consequences

In this episode, tragedy strikes and I get really sad about it :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh god, those poor sweet innocent stupid-rear end Pikmin :negative:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Someone post the bisonyes gif.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
It begins :unsmigghh:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
You don't handle panic well, do you? Those poor pikmin. :(

McBearson
Apr 29, 2013

Remember when videogames were about pure & simple fun?

MILLIONS ARE DEAD.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Also worth pointing out since you seem to be doing this... You do not have to stand still to throw pikmin or use the c stick. Some later enemies will require you to be constantly moving to keep your pikmin away from harm. Practice sweeping them over the pellets and corpses while moving when you can. It should help.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Drakenel posted:

You don't handle panic well, do you?

No.

No I do not.

This LP is going to give me a haemorrhage or something I swear.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Faerie Fortune posted:

No.

No I do not.

Yeeeeah...

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Faerie Fortune posted:

No.

No I do not.

I can't wait until the end of Pikmin 2...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh my god Pikmin is the best and I love them they're so little and cute and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :3:

...that's still the reaction my brain has to seeing this game years later. It was one of my favorite games as a kid even though I was god awful at it. Of course now I've pretty much mastered it, so it will be fun to see someone struggle with their cute little pals.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

That reminds me actually! So in the first episode, I said "these guys are so cute, I want to make one"

Well, in between the first and second recording sessions, I did this

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Faerie Fortune posted:

That reminds me actually! So in the first episode, I said "these guys are so cute, I want to make one"

Oh my god that is literally the cutest thing ever :3: I love every pikmin. Each one of them is special in their own way, even the derpy rock pikmin you get in Pikmin 3.

Also Fae when I was a kid I basically did the exact same thing you did and thought my Pikmin could swim, and was horrified when I was discovered I had gotten them all killed.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I like that Olimar's end of day report says the 38 Pikmin were "lost in battle".
Way to sugar coat the truth there Olimar.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

If you can't swim, any encounter with water can be a battle. :colbert: :rip:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
The Pikmin 1 AI will drive you insane by the end of the game, Fae. The C-stick will be your best friend. Thankfully, it's improved for the sequels.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Many Pikmin will die over the course of Fae's journey.

Please, if you know or are related to any of the fallen, please place their name on the Wall of Fallen Pikmin. These Pikmin will be remembered throughout history for their noble sacrifices in the line of duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Faerie Fortune posted:

That's actually quite good! I'd buy it, hell.

But yeah, just... in general, practice your throwing and sweeping on things that are dead/posies. It'll save lives in the long run. That big guy? Stay behind him as much as you can and keep throwing.

• Locked thread