Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

Did they turn Venom into a planet buster?

Well, it certainly looks like Starkiller Base.

Man I hope those rumors are true. They sound loving excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Here's the level chart going around.

Never played the foxes that star but does this mean that the game has about twice the amount of levels 64 had, each one with some alternate routes?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Never played the foxes that star but does this mean that the game has about twice the amount of levels 64 had, each one with some alternate routes?

If the rumors are true and those aren't just random empty spaces then yeah just about.

Also man the yakkin' cut ins look so nice in this game

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I don't even have a Wii U and I want this.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Is the first print edition sold out already? :saddowns:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also man the yakkin' cut ins look so nice in this game

"BARK BARK BARK BARK! GRRRRRR WOOF!"

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

Mordja posted:

"BARK BARK BARK BARK! GRRRRRR WOOF!"

That wolf can sell anything.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks for keeping everything behind spoiler tags guys. This is the first game I'm playing on day one in a long while

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The secret might already be out, been hearing a lot of groundswell about a plot twist that I can't find the source for but a lot of people believe. It's a multiverse plot and we've only seen the 64 stuff, the portals are tied to it somehow and later stuff will show up.

One piece of evidence I know I've seen is Venom is a little before the halfway point on the overall score chart- and all the 64 planets/areas are before it leaving a massive gap of mystery locations.

I haven't researched yet but I'm highly dubious of this and it sounds like a misunderstanding of that map screen. It's from the video that I linked implying that there are two versions of each of the 10 planets/places and you might be backtracking. In that video, Corneria 1 was called "Enter Star Fox" and Corneria 2 was called "Hidden Plans".

Also, some Guard offscreen treehouse walkthrough gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZQakybM23o

Have the same dude playing Zero because you see some stuff too. Including apparently a level select so maybe that Arcade Mode I saw is a more traditional mode? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGD81O4aK2c

Odd quirk: Retro Arwing has no homing shot.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 30, 2016

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Holy gently caress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDIFGAqVGfk

(Soundtrack related, not spoilers)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Szmitten posted:

I haven't researched yet but I'm highly dubious of this and it sounds like a misunderstanding of that map screen. It's from the video that I linked implying that there are two versions of each of the 10 planets/places and you might be backtracking. In that video, Corneria 1 was called "Enter Star Fox" and Corneria 2 was called "Hidden Plans".

Possible, like I said it's just a rumor that seems to be pretty popular right now v:shobon:v

By the by though, here's the games opening in English

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Shot for shot remake of 64's 8D

UK goons - something I didn't realise until now, the First Print Edition is a GAME exclusive. If you want Guard on a physical disc, you'll have to get it from them. And it seems that there isn't a Guard download code in standard editions in the UK.

In the US, every copy of Zero comes with a code for Guard.

e: Also updated the first post somewhat.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 4, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The 22nd can't get here soon enough! If there is online multiplayer mode, I expect to get a chance to shoot down Many Goons.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Seems like there's no difference between downloading it and getting a disc, as far as getting Starfox Guard goes. Guess I'll just download it. I may or may not be interested in Guard, and that way I can get the main game for a bit cheaper!

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If there is online multiplayer mode
Nope!

Silver Falcon posted:

Seems like there's no difference between downloading it and getting a disc, as far as getting Starfox Guard goes. Guess I'll just download it. I may or may not be interested in Guard, and that way I can get the main game for a bit cheaper!
Unless you're in the UK and purchasing frrom one specific store, it's best to think of Guard as download only. There may be a complementary code in the box.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Are you fuckin' serious?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Are you fuckin' serious?

There is no multiplayer except for couch co-op where one prson flies and another aims.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Szmitten posted:

There is no multiplayer except for couch co-op where one prson flies and another aims.

Nintendo!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Szmitten posted:

You weren't kidding. That hurts. It's almost like they asked themselves "can we save money by not developing this and still have just as many sales" and hazarded a "yes"--even after a delay! Welp. I'll probably get this used near the tail-end of summer since I'm obviously not going to be missing a player base.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Why on earth would anyone want online multiplayer in an arcade railshooter?

I guess an online scoreboard would be nice, but multiplayer seems like it would be the most tacked-on poo poo ever. You know, like it was in 64.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Trick Question posted:

Why on earth would anyone want online multiplayer in an arcade railshooter?

I guess an online scoreboard would be nice, but multiplayer seems like it would be the most tacked-on poo poo ever. You know, like it was in 64.

Think about it from the perspective of Nintendo's library for Wii U instead of from a standpoint of genre purity. Ace Combats aren't exactly coming out for Nintendo systems or at all really, but that's beside the point.

Bottom line--there are folks out there (I count myself among them) that played the split-screen multiplayer for SF64 more than the single player. And Zero doesn't scratch that itch.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Szmitten posted:

Nope!

Unless you're in the UK and purchasing frrom one specific store, it's best to think of Guard as download only. There may be a complementary code in the box.

I'm in the U.S. Definitely downloadin' this. If Guard turns out to be totally amazing, I'll download it too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Szmitten posted:

Guard's "code-in-a-box" release is literally a separate retail box on the shelf, only with a code instead of a disc; it's not a pack-in with Zero. NOE does that occasionally.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Guard's "code-in-a-box" release is literally a separate retail box on the shelf, only with a code instead of a disc; it's not a pack-in with Zero. NOE does that occasionally.

The Guard/pack-in thing is weirdly overcomplicated 8D

The US Amazon store and Gamestop at least are selling Guard as a bonus code with all copies of Zero. I've yet to see anyone anywhere selling Guard alone yet, despite seeing that one part of that trailer. The EU situation, from what I've seen thus far, the only boxed Guard is in the First Print Edition and that's a disc.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a new trailer for both games - the review embargo ends very soon, so everything worth knowing will be known before long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A04ZN4qA740

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Preview embargo has lifted. Videos should be appearing in places.
e: It looks rad. I want too go in fresh so I'm not going to upload everything in existence.
e2: Oh gently caress. The Wolfen transforms.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 5, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If a preview embargo's been lifted and Gamexplain hasn't uploaded the final boss fight, is the embargo really lifted?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I lied, have a gameplay dump:

Co-op - warning, British:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtMdR0k6sAE
Black Arwing - requires Falco amiibo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2POYwB1oz3g
Sector Omega (coverage has been calling it Gamma but it's Omega) - fast as gently caress and a familiar boss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xnr587jdDw
Asteroid Field - not its own true level but apparently one of mini mid-path levels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cimVniTYL8
Corneria 2 - whatever that means:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XkulJbiFJY
Sector Beta - taking down the final ship actually looks pretty cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP4UD7dTWmg
Wolf battle - Wolfen transformation and rad music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieZ5PQrKisc
Sector Alpha - Sector Y remake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhXLjTh9yYg
Area 3 Phase 1 - Pigma fight in space:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YySHtuqn3Ug
Area 3 Phase 2 - Walker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Iyt_UxjTNs

Also, of note: Your first playthrough will be linear - you will unlock transformations and abilities as you progress, and you'll be able to backtrack and play any level at any time from the map screen. You will unlock alternate paths by playing old levels with new abilities. Presumably, that Arcade Mode on the menu screen enables a more classic route based system.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 5, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

About 1:38 in the video you can see something cool.

Christ this game looks amazing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Maybe I'm just stuck in the past since I don't have a PS4 or high end PC but I think this game looks great visually.

Still kinda miffed about no online dogfights but I'm still day one. Do we know if there's difficulty settings or is just limited to the Falco amiibo making stuff harder?

I hope there's some crazy Platinum style difficulty setting hidden away.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

You know Platinum had a hand in this game when the rival fights get that extra touch of awesome.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
On one hand, I'm sad that this game seems like Star Fox 64 2. I was hoping it would be a little more plotty. I guess I was hoping we'd get a stupid rear end space opera? Like Mass Effect with furries.

On the other hand, Star Fox 64 was cool and good and more cool and good games are excellent.

I do hate motion controls, however. It'll take me weeks to not crash the arwing into the side of a Cornerian mountain side.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Bean posted:

I do hate motion controls, however. It'll take me weeks to not crash the arwing into the side of a Cornerian mountain side.

Lucky for you, the motion controls only control the aiming. The ship still moves via the control stick.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

^^^^^^^^

Bean posted:

I've been operating under the assumption that the Arwing is flown with the sticks, and the motion controls are for aiming lasers. Or lazers.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Sam Faust posted:

You know Platinum had a hand in this game when the rival fights get that extra touch of awesome.

I'd love it if the BGM had lyrics kick in when you get Wolf down to low health, but they're in the same faux-speech as the original SNES game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

I'd love it if the BGM had lyrics kick in when you get Wolf down to low health, but they're in the same faux-speech as the original SNES game

Well now I'm going to be disappointed when that doesn't happen.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Bean posted:

On one hand, I'm sad that this game seems like Star Fox 64 2. I was hoping it would be a little more plotty. I guess I was hoping we'd get a stupid rear end space opera? Like Mass Effect with furries.

I don't think Star Fox Command sold that well.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The people who played Command took the story more seriously than the people who made it, that much is obvious.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Bean posted:

On the other hand, Star Fox 64 was cool and good and more cool and good games are excellent.

Every attempt thus far at making a Star Fox game that's not a direct iteration on the formula of the SNES original has ended in tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I liked command, but I don't think I and the two other people who did so are enough to carry a franchise. And I liked 64 more.

• Locked thread