Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The story in Command was the least of it's problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The people who played Command made the mistake of playing Command.

Same goes for Assault.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Assault was good though because it was actually fun

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Command is the best post-64 game.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

NTT posted:

Assault was good though because it was actually fun

Conversely: Naw, son.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Maybe it's just me but I liked the orchestral version from Assault a lot more :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2sGNGGEbOo

Szmitten posted:

Conversely: Naw, son.

The levels in Assault that were actual on-rails shooter levels were pretty good, the problem was that most of the game was on-foot levels and recycled multiplayer arenas because Nintendo made them spend way too much time on a multiplayer mode that nobody cared about because there was no online play.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

When talking to people about Star Fox Zero, I get the feeling like some of them expected this specific evolution for the series. Like, being an on-rails shooter was just the limitations of the system, and it would be something like No Man's Sky or whatever. I don't get that. The point of the game is flying under arches is fun, shooting stuff down is fun, this is a carnival ride with boss battles. All the space Car Fox stuff is just the window dressing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What is this... arcade game you speak of.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I still think there are a lot of elements you could add to the formula without turning it into Mass Effect or Freespace or whatever and it's lame that they're barely even trying to one-up SF64 but that doesn't mean I won't play or enjoy Zero.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Assaults star wolf theme is the definitive version imo

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

NTT posted:

Assaults star wolf theme is the definitive version imo

Assault's soundtrack in general was amazing. I can't remember a game that made me so pumped at encountering a boss :hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II28b7cjHK4

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Bean posted:

On one hand, I'm sad that this game seems like Star Fox 64 2. I was hoping it would be a little more plotty. I guess I was hoping we'd get a stupid rear end space opera? Like Mass Effect with furries.

Nobody really wants this. Do they? This is the worst idea I've heard in a long time. Plus Star Fox 64 had tons of cool plot poo poo going on. This line of thinking leads to Star Fox Adventures and two decades of pointless games trying to reinvent the wheel.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I really want to play this game right now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nobody really wants this. Do they? This is the worst idea I've heard in a long time. Plus Star Fox 64 had tons of cool plot poo poo going on. This line of thinking leads to Star Fox Adventures and two decades of pointless games trying to reinvent the wheel.

Not really, you could easily make another rail shooter with a plot/roster that isn't just Star Fox Again like this new game (to the point where a lot of the dialogue is 1:1 with SF64).

I mean, it's loving Starfox so who gives a poo poo but even so, it's boring watching Nintendo fall into the same patterns with so many different franchises.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Sam Faust posted:

I really want to play this game right now.

Yeah same. Those trailers and such suddenly made me go from, "Yeah I'll get the game I guess," to "OMG I need this game RIGHT NOW."

Guess I didn't realize how much I wanted another proper Starfox.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
People want 64 again but they also don't want 64 again so really what the gently caress

Also Zero is gonna be loving awesome

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

it's boring watching Nintendo fall into the same patterns with so many different franchises.

Aside from the Metroid franchise, where they keep doing different things with every installment and people are furious that it isn't just a glorified remake of Super Metroid :v:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrR_-nWE9Bg

50 questions about Star Fox get answered.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

You know how they say "don't pre-order video games?"... Well, about that folks.

Screw it, these vids are making stuff look far too awesome. I don't care if the whole thing is only 30 minutes long. If it's 30 mins of high speed, high powered pew pew! spaceships, then I'm down. And it's looking pretty full of good stuff.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Guy Mann posted:

Aside from the Metroid franchise, where they keep doing different things with every installment and people are furious that it isn't just a glorified remake of Super Metroid :v:

Not really

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DroneRiff posted:

You know how they say "don't pre-order video games?"... Well, about that folks.

Screw it, these vids are making stuff look far too awesome. I don't care if the whole thing is only 30 minutes long. If it's 30 mins of high speed, high powered pew pew! spaceships, then I'm down. And it's looking pretty full of good stuff.

the grand majority of Nintendo A-tier stuff is the exception to the rules. I've actually been taking care not to watch anything else about the game, want to go in blind for the first proper "sequel" to the old games

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

It's kind of the opposite, actually. People love them their Super Metroid.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
While I hope they don't make a habit of it, making a one-up on 64 with what looks like punchier Platinum-rear end mechanics and scale honestly looks loving rad, and they're mixing up enough of their referential stuff that is still seems fresh.

I also both love and hate that the retro arwing's walker mode is such a massive tease, even using the same goddamn sound effects from SF2 like they thought it wasn't obvious enough already. Just find some way to actually release that full build you (by your own admission!!!!(!)) have hiding all cheeky-like in those offices you fUCkS

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
I've always been a bit of Star Fox: Assault apologist. Unfortunately, the main selling point of the game, which was the ground-based missions, was easily the worst part of it. That being said, they're not BAD. In fact, for a third-person-action shooter, I would say they're pretty solid. They just don't offer the same constant action, consistent challenge, and feeling of progression that the on-rails segments always have. Naturally, the on-rails segments in SF:A are solid, fun, polished, and much better than their watered-down counterparts in Star Fox: Adventures. Unfortunately, they amount to amount to about 4 total missions.

The multiplayer was kick-rear end, though.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Jellymouth posted:

I've always been a bit of Star Fox: Assault apologist. Unfortunately, the main selling point of the game, which was the ground-based missions, was easily the worst part of it. That being said, they're not BAD. In fact, for a third-person-action shooter, I would say they're pretty solid. They just don't offer the same constant action, consistent challenge, and feeling of progression that the on-rails segments always have. Naturally, the on-rails segments in SF:A are solid, fun, polished, and much better than their watered-down counterparts in Star Fox: Adventures. Unfortunately, they amount to amount to about 4 total missions.

The multiplayer was kick-rear end, though.

Agreed with this.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Donkey Kong is just works as a great platformer. Every Gen's DK has been fun, challenging and has a great liok & sound.

Mario has some of the highest paid and skilled developers thrown at him every generation, and the only real misses are when they take a formula that worked well and dumb it down into a tutorial heavy handhold (Paper Mario and the New Super Mario Bros games for ex)

Metroid Fusion is the glorified Super Metroid we wanted (linearity aside) and the Metroid Prime games are beloved and stand head and shoulders above most gamecube releases, (other M is a game no one asked for that everyone rightfully hates).

Zelda's have ranged from middlin' bad to amazing by staying tried & true.

These are formulas that have been refined and reformatted over and over again and polished to Mirror Sheens and with some exceptions made for critical flops like Other M, people still wamt Nintendo to make the games we expect them to make.

The Star Fox we've seen since 64 has been garbage and brought nothing anyone liked about those games to the surface. Of course we want another outerspace animal dogfighting sim, we havent had a good one since the 3ds rerelease of a 20 year old game.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I enjoyed Star Fox 64 and I'll probably enjoy Zero, but if you want to see what can be done by evolving the rail shooter genre, the game you want is not a Star Fox 64, it's Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. Maybe Star Fox Zero will be similar, but I expect it to be closer to 64.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Here's some gameplay I missed from earlier in the week showing off some sections that haven't been shown much:

Sector Gamma - Sort of a Sector Z remake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVeRHRRBqF4
Sector Beta - After destroying the ship, and after Star Wolf show up, Wolf himself appears and merges concepts from Sector X:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTTm_kVqvds

I've actually been looking at a possibly completed map and trying to match what was on it compared to all the footage I've seen, and all it has done is make the map even more confusing. There seem to be a ton of paths/routes to planets and seemingly mid-path encounters between two levels where you protect Great Fox or face an additional boss. I dunno. Exciting though. Reminder that the first playthrough is linear (eg Walker mode is locked until Area 3 so the Cornerian alternate path can't be done until a later replay) and subsequent playthroughs and replays (via level select or whatever) are what will open up new routes.

e: Also, Digital Foundry: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-star-fox-zero

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 10, 2016

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I believe the Star Fox Guard preview embargo is lifted today so expect video coverage on that soon.

e:
Nintendo Life https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEIg5VWZKJY
IGN https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsFToFm-utw
GameXplain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kHmvghZsMk

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 12, 2016

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Triple posting now but it's too glorious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GosAgIaG8h0

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oh man. :aaa: They took the kickass version from Assault and somehow made it even better!

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
Oh dang! I was unsure about Star Fox Guard for a while now, but it actually looks like a pretty solid tower defense game, nice.

The little frogbot that collects scrap metal after the missions is precious. :3:

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

posting here to get aboard the tiny little hype train. has their been any mention of online multiplayer or components?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Zmej posted:

posting here to get aboard the tiny little hype train. has their been any mention of online multiplayer or components?

There is no multiplayer but couch co-op for Zero (one flies, one shoots).

Guard has level sharing.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Launch trailer with some additional things and a hint of Area 3 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3C0qEztrlg

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I like how they can make the in-game models look like the art from the old Starfox SNES manual.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Reviews drop later tomorrow, as will the animated short. The game has broken street date in some places, and at least one complete main story playthrough is up on Youtube.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Can anyone comfirm that this is worth a buy yet? Im not a fan of review blocks. I hope theres no poo poo gimmick like running out of gas.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I have no doubt this game will have really amazing gameplay... what concerns me most is replayability, which was SF64's biggest weakness. Does anyone know if any of the following are in?:

- some sort of unlockable extreme hard mode
- unlockable ability to jump STRAIGHT to a specific level
- boss rush mode!!
- some sort of infinite survival mode

If any of the above four are in, this will be a game you can pick up and enjoy for years. But if it's like sf64 and your ONLY option is to start with level 1, that will be disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Philosopher King posted:

Can anyone comfirm that this is worth a buy yet? Im not a fan of review blocks. I hope theres no poo poo gimmick like running out of gas.

a starfox where you run out of fuel would be hilariously awful

• Locked thread