Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

man that Admiral is either making GBS threads himself in fear every time he sees Vader or he is just happy to have not been killed yet, considering how many times he has hosed up already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm gonna chalk up the lack of force choke deaths from Vader to the fact that this is a Disney cartoon. If this was on any other network, there would've been at least 2 or 3 imperials dead by Vader's hand by the end of the episode.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Gonz posted:

I'm gonna chalk up the lack of force choke deaths from Vader to the fact that this is a Disney cartoon. If this was on any other network, there would've been at least 2 or 3 imperials dead by Vader's hand by the end of the episode.

Our Heroes are killing Stormtroopers left and right, I don't think Disney is the reason. I rather think they try to make Vader less of an psychotic murderer who kills more of his own people than the rebels and more of a ruthless, calculating villain, who is also constantly fighting for his place at the side of Palpatine/having to get back in Palpatines good graces/collects power to challenge Palpatine (post Yarvin).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Decius posted:

Our Heroes are killing Stormtroopers left and right, I don't think Disney is the reason. I rather think they try to make Vader less of an psychotic murderer who kills more of his own people than the rebels and more of a ruthless, calculating villain, who is also constantly fighting for his place at the side of Palpatine/having to get back in Palpatines good graces/collects power to challenge Palpatine (post Yarvin).

Yeah, the sad thing is that this show is much better written than most of the actual movies.

That said: Good job, show, you are great, please keep making more show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It seems that Vader is completely detached from his own identity and past as Anakin Skywalker. Like, he doesn't call Ahsoka his apprentice, he calls her Anakin's apprentice. It's just kinda interesting. Maybe that detachment is the only way he can live with what he does and who he is.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, early in Empire he calls Luke "The son of Skywalker" while talking to the Emperor, so its just either something he does to distance himself from his past and/or show Palps that no, this skeleton from his closet totally isn't bothering him.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kesper North posted:

Yeah, the sad thing is that this show is much better written than most of the actual movies.

That said: Good job, show, you are great, please keep making more show.

He does that in the films too, it makes sense that he wants to separate himself from his former life, Anakin is essentially dead anyway.

They did a really good job of making Vader seem scary, which is not something I have really felt since the original films. Goddamn this hiatus is stupid.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Hakkesshu posted:

They did a really good job of making Vader seem scary, which is not something I have really felt since the original films.

Probably because none of the villains in the prequels were worth a drat.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
His helmet is distorted to look perpetually evil.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They proportioned his helmet similar to how it was in the original Ralph McQuarrie art, just like a lot of other things. The AT-ATs from the Season 2 trailer were based on his original concepts too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ooooh. That was good.

^^^Lando's droid (was that Nathan Fillion?)'s design was based on the original C3P0 design by McQuarrie too (Chopper is based on his R2).

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I love how much and well this is picking up; the show is everything I wanted Clone Wars to be.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I caught this show for the first time randomly last night while randomly channel surfing. That was the Vader that scared the crap out of me as a kid. That was actually James Earl Jones, right? Sounded like Billy Dee Williams as Lando, as well.

I look forward to him hunting down and destroying the three Jedi and any others they encounter. Or are they sticking with the stupid book concept that Luke was the last Jedi...except for the seeming unending stream of Jedi coming out of the woodwork post-ROTJ? Part of what made Vader's lore great was the knowledge that he and the Emperor had personally destroyed the entire Order and that his own children were literally the last hope to defeat the Empire.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
All the old EU was dumped, it's unclear if Kanan will be killed. I'm guessing yes. I'm not sure you could consider Ezra a Jedi yet. Ahsoka also expressly left the order, so I'm not sure whether she counts or not either.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Waffleman_ posted:

It seems that Vader is completely detached from his own identity and past as Anakin Skywalker. Like, he doesn't call Ahsoka his apprentice, he calls her Anakin's apprentice. It's just kinda interesting. Maybe that detachment is the only way he can live with what he does and who he is.

http://www.starwars.com/news/interview-dave-filoni-on-star-wars-rebels-part-3

quote:

StarWars.com: When I was watching Vader in the last episode, I thought about how you really see a different version of him in each Star Wars movie. Do you have an idea of where Vader is at mentally during Rebels?

Dave Filoni: Oh, yeah. You have to. I’ve always believed that Vader has no repentant bone in his body until he realizes his son is alive. Luke is the opportunity that triggers everything that occurs. His awareness of Luke being alive forces him to remember his past in a way that’s uncomfortable for him. It forces him to remember Padmé. It forces him down a path of, “Maybe my son will join me, and together we can rule the galaxy.” Luke really has to get him past that thought, which kind of culminates in that scene on the bridge on Endor, when Vader says, “It’s too late for me.” That realization only happens because of Luke.

Up until that point, I think he’s a destroyer. He’s an incredibly angry, hate-filled destroyer. He hates himself. He hates what happened. He hates all his former friends because he thinks they betrayed him. Anakin Skywalker thinks that he never switched sides. He thinks he’s still fighting the good fight. He thinks Obi-Wan betrayed him. He thinks Padmé betrayed him and that led to her, and their child’s, death. He thinks the Jedi were staging a coup against the Republic. He thinks the Republic was weak, and that’s why it became corrupt and fell apart despite Palpatine’s attempts to save it. Overall, he internally hates himself for everything that occurred because he thinks that he wasn’t strong enough to make things right.

He’s consumed by these ideas and is pretty much trapped. He has no option aside from embracing his new persona — Darth Vader. What we encounter in Rebels now is just a wall of anger and hate — everything that the dark side manifests.

It’s interesting to look at how he might relate to Ahsoka now. She is a living memory of who he was. Even worse, she knew the good person he was.

StarWars.com: He doesn’t want a memory of that.

Dave Filoni: He doesn’t want to be reminded of this and, in a lot of ways, he probably thinks that whole relationship was a failure because she walked away.

StarWars.com: Do you think he’s, in a twisted way, angry at her now?

Dave Filoni: Yeah. I think in the way you indirectly get angry at people when you don’t agree with their decisions, or when you let someone walk away and later something bad happens. You think, “Where were you?” You would blame anyone but yourself.

StarWars.com: So, he would have no feeling upon seeing her of, “Oh, great, you’re alive.”

Dave Filoni: No, I don’t think he would think it’s great at all.

StarWars.com: He obviously cared for her very much.

Dave Filoni: Of course, but now she and Obi-Wan Kenobi are Public Enemy Number One and Two for him. It’s personal. It begs the question: What do they know about each other? What do they know about what happened?

One thing that strikes me is his description of how Vader reacts to discovering that Luke is alive. It is incredibly consistent with how the new Marvel comics portrayed that exact moment. It makes me wonder if all of these writers are getting together to discuss this in advance.

Spoilers for Darth Vader Issue #6: http://imgur.com/a/c0vbq

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 21, 2015

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, early in Empire he calls Luke "The son of Skywalker" while talking to the Emperor, so its just either something he does to distance himself from his past and/or show Palps that no, this skeleton from his closet totally isn't bothering him.

Actually, I believe it was the Emperor who calls him that during that scene.

Derek Dominoe posted:

I caught this show for the first time randomly last night while randomly channel surfing. That was the Vader that scared the crap out of me as a kid. That was actually James Earl Jones, right? Sounded like Billy Dee Williams as Lando, as well.

I look forward to him hunting down and destroying the three Jedi and any others they encounter. Or are they sticking with the stupid book concept that Luke was the last Jedi...except for the seeming unending stream of Jedi coming out of the woodwork post-ROTJ? Part of what made Vader's lore great was the knowledge that he and the Emperor had personally destroyed the entire Order and that his own children were literally the last hope to defeat the Empire.

Now that the old canon has been wiped, the only Jedi that have been shown to survive Order 66 so far are Obi-wan, Yoda, Ahsoka, and Kanan.

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 21, 2015

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

VirtualStranger posted:

It makes me wonder if all of these writers are getting together to discuss this in advance.

They definitely are, if not all the individual writers, than at least their editors. The big difference between the old EU and what's being done now is that there's a central story committee overseeing everything and attempting to maintain consistency. That's why they're able to say that everything that comes out is canon now.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

VirtualStranger posted:

Now that the old canon has been wiped, the only Jedi that have been shown to survive Order 66 so far are Obi-wan, Yoda, Ahsoka, and Kanan.

And given how easily Yoda hid on Dagobah, its pretty easy to say that Ahsoka and Kanan could be alive at the same time as the OT. They're just off doing their own thing in whatever corner of the galaxy they end up in.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

They definitely are, if not all the individual writers, than at least their editors. The big difference between the old EU and what's being done now is that there's a central story committee overseeing everything and attempting to maintain consistency. That's why they're able to say that everything that comes out is canon now.

That was the line for the old stuff too, at one point. Lucas approves every EU book, etc etc.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

WarLocke posted:

That was the line for the old stuff too, at one point. Lucas approves every EU book, etc etc.

Yes, because that is a very exacting standard to uphold.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

WarLocke posted:

Mom and Dad are not proud of that title. :colbert:

I should probably watch Clone Wars or whatever at some point so I know what's up with this Ahsoka Tano person, I guess.

I saw the first season and a half or so and it was aimed at a much younger audience, or at least dumbed way down, and the quality of bargain basement CG shows like this has improved a whole hell of a lot since then. The spoilers posted itt told me all I needed to know about how The Clone Wars went. This is just so much better of a show it's night and day.

Shame about the psycho scheduling, but that's Disney for you.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Kithkar posted:

Yes, because that is a very exacting standard to uphold.

Yeah exactly, one guy who clearly had a loose editorial style on the books, to put it kindly, compared to a whole group of editors explicitly checking in with every piece of star wars media to make sure it fits. I hate having the EU rendered non-canon, and that I'll never get my dream of a way out there adaptation of the Yuuzhan Vong/New Jedi Order arc as the next trilogy, but at least we are getting some sensical stuff filling in the various gaps of time, and the new Marvel comics have been rad, especially Vader.

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, that's something that's been fairly consistent all the way back to the original trilogy. I'm fairly sure you can count the number of times Vader calls himself Anakin in the original trilogy on one hand. Vader really does have a ton of depth that can be explored, I'm hopeful that we'll get some really good stuff in Rebels and the comics. Well, more really good stuff I guess I should say.

Also, Ahsoka fighting Vader is not going to end well for her, at least in the long term. She'll probably get a minor win early and escape, but I predict something like her slashing off one of Vader's hands or arms while he lands a finishing blow on her. Have the rebel crew see it and yell out nooo and run away to reference a New Hope, maybe show her body remaining there to make it clear that Jedi fading away Obi-Wan style is something that only happens with crazy Qui-Gon training, and there's your season 2 or 3 finale. I mean that's all cliche as hell, and I'm hopeful they can come up with something better, but I don't have high hopes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

NowonSA posted:

Yeah exactly, one guy who clearly had a loose editorial style on the books, to put it kindly, compared to a whole group of editors explicitly checking in with every piece of star wars media to make sure it fits. I hate having the EU rendered non-canon, and that I'll never get my dream of a way out there adaptation of the Yuuzhan Vong/New Jedi Order arc as the next trilogy, but at least we are getting some sensical stuff filling in the various gaps of time, and the new Marvel comics have been rad, especially Vader.

This is what I know of the EU:

Based upon that I think it's best left in the dustbin of history along with the prequels.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We're allowed to keep Knights of the Old Republic canon, right? Because I'm theorizing that Chopper is actually HK-47 trapped in an astromech body.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
does this mean my precious republic commando novels arent CANON ANYMORE

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Funky Valentine posted:

We're allowed to keep Knights of the Old Republic canon, right? Because I'm theorizing that Chopper is actually HK-47 trapped in an astromech body.

Yes and Chopper needs a translator unit asap. :v:

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

IRQ posted:

I saw the first season and a half or so and it was aimed at a much younger audience, or at least dumbed way down, and the quality of bargain basement CG shows like this has improved a whole hell of a lot since then. The spoilers posted itt told me all I needed to know about how The Clone Wars went. This is just so much better of a show it's night and day.

Shame about the psycho scheduling, but that's Disney for you.

You didn't get to the good parts of the show. When compared to the last three seasons of Clone Wars, Season 1 of Rebels feels far more child-oriented and the animation is a slight step down, too.

One of the reasons I'm excited for Season 2 is that from what we've seen so far, it looks like this show is about to return to the high quality of the last half of Clone Wars.

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 22, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

VirtualStranger posted:

Quinlan Vos and Ventress are also known to have survived as they're getting a novel or something later this year.

I don't mind the idea that there are more Jedi out there, because it's a huge loving galaxy. Makes sense that at least a handful would be lucky/crafty enough to survive, I don't think that makes Vader/Palpatine any less threatening. I know everyone shits on the EU but it's not loving going anywhere despite being wiped, Rebels is in spirit just as much of an EU product as like the Dark Horse Comics - it's much higher profile, but it's still just glorified fan fiction starring characters that will never appear in the actual films. The fact that there is a lot of bad EU poo poo doesn't suddenly make it impossible to tell good stories outside the confines of the films, the EU is only bad until you remember that one book/game/comic you really like.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

IRQ posted:

Based upon that I think it's best left in the dustbin of history along with the prequels.

I thought the prequels are explicitly part of the 'new canon'

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't mind the idea that there are more Jedi out there, because it's a huge loving galaxy. Makes sense that at least a handful would be lucky/crafty enough to survive
Some weren't even that, Yoda just hung out at his house and no one gave a poo poo and of course we have the perfect disguise of "Ben" Kenobi.

Then again Vader would probably avoid Tatooine like the devil, so maybe there was some sense there.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't mind the idea that there are more Jedi out there, because it's a huge loving galaxy. Makes sense that at least a handful would be lucky/crafty enough to survive, I don't think that makes Vader/Palpatine any less threatening. I know everyone shits on the EU but it's not loving going anywhere despite being wiped, Rebels is in spirit just as much of an EU product as like the Dark Horse Comics - it's much higher profile, but it's still just glorified fan fiction starring characters that will never appear in the actual films. The fact that there is a lot of bad EU poo poo doesn't suddenly make it impossible to tell good stories outside the confines of the films, the EU is only bad until you remember that one book/game/comic you really like.

Yeah, I'll certainly admit that when you go far enough down the rabbit hole the EU gets pretty bad. Even the Thrawn Trilogy had clone rules/use that didn't really make sense, magic cloaking tech and creatures that would create a bubble where the force doesn't work. It was written well enough to where none of this bothered me, but in a vacuum it all seems goofy as hell. But I agree that people who read or followed the EU have bits and pieces that they remember fondly. I kept hearing that the plan was to involve some EU elements that make sense in the future, so maybe those good bits and pieces will get reheated and used again.

Funky Valentine posted:

Some weren't even that, Yoda just hung out at his house and no one gave a poo poo and of course we have the perfect disguise of "Ben" Kenobi.

Then again Vader would probably avoid Tatooine like the devil, so maybe there was some sense there.

I feel like at some point we'll get a Kenobi book or comic that delves into how he stayed safe and what exactly he did for 20+ years, besides training for B.S. force afterlife powers that aren't too useful while the entire galaxy went to poo poo. The low hanging fruit would be him meeting Luke or saving him from danger when he was still a little kid, with Luke either not knowing it or being too young to remember. The most interesting part of something like that would be the beginning though, I think, with him paranoid about being discovered and reflecting on his failure.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 22, 2015

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I had no idea Jones was actually voicing Vader, the whole time I was thinking, "okay, this is a C maybe C+ Vader impersonation"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, he's gotten older.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Frackie Robinson posted:

I had no idea Jones was actually voicing Vader, the whole time I was thinking, "okay, this is a C maybe C+ Vader impersonation"

I am still surprised people don't recognize the original Vader voice. He honestly does not even sound that different to me.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

NowonSA posted:

I feel like at some point we'll get a Kenobi book or comic that delves into how he stayed safe and what exactly he did for 20+ years, besides training for B.S. force afterlife powers that aren't too useful while the entire galaxy went to poo poo. The low hanging fruit would be him meeting Luke or saving him from danger when he was still a little kid, with Luke either not knowing it or being too young to remember. The most interesting part of something like that would be the beginning though, I think, with him paranoid about being discovered and reflecting on his failure.

It's pretty impressive that Obi-Wan managed to last incognito as long as he did, considering that for decadew, he kept his own last name, had Luke keep his and lived in the next cave over, and just wore nothing but his distinctive ceremonial robes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, again, Vader's going nowhere near Tatooine. Not only are there too many memories, but there's sand.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, again, Vader's going nowhere near Tatooine. Not only are there too many memories, but there's sand.

In the comics, the Emperor sends Vader on an errand to Tatooine to negotiate a deal with Jabba. Granted, this happens after Obi-wan is already dead, so I guess it doesn't really count.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

You won't believe the one weird trick for keeping Darth Vader away from your planet!

"You know I should really go and check up on Ol' Watto and my old stomping grounds at Mos Espa. Might want to skip the Tusken camps...don't think they'll exactly be rolling out the welcome mat..."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everyones favourite mini Jedi has been having Pod Racing flashbacks again.... hahah "i'm not the driver you're looking for"

http://news.sky.com/story/1506139/star-wars-anakin-in-100mph-police-chase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

VirtualStranger posted:

In the comics, the Emperor sends Vader on an errand to Tatooine to negotiate a deal with Jabba. Granted, this happens after Obi-wan is already dead, so I guess it doesn't really count.

Is half the comic Darth kicking himself for not checking Tatooine first for Obi-Wan because it literally is the first place he should have looked?

• Locked thread