Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

drunkill posted:

Plus one of the art cards has a realistic looking Agent Kallus, pretty grizzly.

It's always fairly interesting when either the tabletop games or one of the reference books decide to reinterpret the animated series characters in a "realistic" light, artistically. You end up getting stuff like the below, which often provide for somewhat of a window into some funky alternate history where Episode II was all about the Clone Wars, instead of merely its prelude.

Also, it's fun watching the same artists struggle to "recast" Ahsoka from her super-stylized and abstract appearance in the cartoon; to this day, I haven't seen a alternate version of her that hasn't produced some sort of uncanny valley effect. Yes, even the Rebels version. I think it's the eyes. :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
so i binged basically all of tcw and the first season of rebels while pet sitting this week and holy loving poo poo both shows are so much better than i thought they'd be

most of the clone wars was the kind of fun space fantasy adventure crap i really wanted back when the prequels came out, and rebels is just loving amazo

and even with the post disney canon housecleaning there're still tons of little continuity nods in rebels that make my inner 14 yo sw nerd self happy, without falling into the stupid self indulgent hole that most aughties sw stuff did

also i just loving adore how kenner all the mechanical design is

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

It's always fairly interesting when either the tabletop games or one of the reference books decide to reinterpret the animated series characters in a "realistic" light, artistically. You end up getting stuff like the below, which often provide for somewhat of a window into some funky alternate history where Episode II was all about the Clone Wars, instead of merely its prelude.

Also, it's fun watching the same artists struggle to "recast" Ahsoka from her super-stylized and abstract appearance in the cartoon; to this day, I haven't seen a alternate version of her that hasn't produced some sort of uncanny valley effect. Yes, even the Rebels version. I think it's the eyes. :kiddo:

Ahsoka's outfit in the first few seasons just looks even stranger in that style.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Ernie Muppari posted:

so i binged basically all of tcw and the first season of rebels while pet sitting this week and holy loving poo poo both shows are so much better than i thought they'd be

most of the clone wars was the kind of fun space fantasy adventure crap i really wanted back when the prequels came out, and rebels is just loving amazo

and even with the post disney canon housecleaning there're still tons of little continuity nods in rebels that make my inner 14 yo sw nerd self happy, without falling into the stupid self indulgent hole that most aughties sw stuff did

also i just loving adore how kenner all the mechanical design is

TV is honestly a perfect medium for Star Wars, particularly in this day and age. As long as you can get enough budget (though that admittedly can be a tricky feat when you're not personally bankrolled by George Lucas) to provide the visuals, you've got the means for good length, serial adventures, whilst being able to expand on and explore the setting in a way that the films could only dream of (whilst I do like the relative amount of worldbuilding the PT brought, admittedly much of that is in the aesthetics of the locales).

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
I'm about to watch the Clone Wars TV show for the first time. Is it better to watch in the normal release order or chronological order?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Mouse Cadet posted:

I'm about to watch the Clone Wars TV show for the first time. Is it better to watch in the normal release order or chronological order?

Chronological just to avoid things getting too confusing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I watched it in the normal release order and didn't even realize there was anything off. Either way it's the least confusing show ever made so I don't know why it would ever be necessary to follow a loving chronological order guide

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Cross-Section posted:

Anakin looks really weirdly chubby in that picture.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

I watched it in the normal release order and didn't even realize there was anything off. Either way it's the least confusing show ever made so I don't know why it would ever be necessary to follow a loving chronological order guide

The idea that you might see someone walking around after you saw them being killed might so overburden your mind that you'd have a stroke, or something.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

cargohills posted:

Anakin looks really weirdly chubby in that picture.

I think it's the weird shading under his chin. And now I can't stop looking at it.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
Still working my way through the Clone Wars Blu-ray set, and I just finished the arc in Season 5 about the Jedi younglings who go on the quest for their lightsaber crystals and then get sidetracked when pirates board their ship... and then have to side with the pirates to fight off an attack by Grievous.

I'm so glad Clone Wars is canon, because I don't want a Star Wars universe where there's no Hondo Ohnaka or Cad Bane. They're two of the best characters to ever come out of Star Wars.

Especially since Hondo and Ahsoka have such a history together, it wouldn't surprise me if Ahsoka makes use of Hondo's services during the time of Rebels. And since we see in Clone Wars that Bane took some contracts directly from Sidious, I could see Bane being hired by the Empire to work against the Rebels.

But what happens if the situation were to arise where it's Hondo vs Bane? :ohdear:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Sith Happens posted:

Especially since Hondo and Ahsoka have such a history together, it wouldn't surprise me if Ahsoka makes use of Hondo's services during the time of Rebels. And since we see in Clone Wars that Bane took some contracts directly from Sidious, I could see Bane being hired by the Empire to work against the Rebels.

But what happens if the situation were to arise where it's Hondo vs Bane? :ohdear:

Good News, we, are on an adventure.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Sith Happens posted:

I'm so glad Clone Wars is canon, because I don't want a Star Wars universe where there's no Hondo Ohnaka or Cad Bane. They're two of the best characters to ever come out of Star Wars.

Same here. They are the only two Clone Wars action figures I own.

(And I'm still sore they never made a Ziro figure.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dave Syndrome posted:

(And I'm still sore they never made a Ziro figure.)

Ah, Capote the Hutt.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
Evidently I had missed the news from a few months ago that confirmed this was really going to be a thing.

:neckbeard:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Sith Happens posted:

Evidently I had missed the news from a few months ago that confirmed this was really going to be a thing.

*snip*

:neckbeard:

he was even in one of the trailers. But yes I am glad to see him back too. :v:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

gently caress yeah. The more Clone Wars stuff that carries into Rebels, the better.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

From a Disney XD ad that was mistakenly made available and subsequently pulled:

Stand by. Stand by. :geno:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Damnit, that is too far away!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Cross-Section posted:

From a Disney XD ad that was mistakenly made available and subsequently pulled:

Stand by. Stand by. :geno:
This is from a channel promo, footage is here, although recorded by a camera.
Rebels S2 teaser: https://vid.me/CZqN

Freddie Prinze Jr also let slip that season 2 will have an episode focused on the Empire, basically an episode all about Agent Kallus:
code:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=YtHBQfQY3t0&feature=youtu.be&t=12m44s
Edit: Actually this interview is pretty good, apparently Seth Green (smoking pot in a carpark) told him that the project 'Wolfpack' he was reading for was actually Star Wars right before the audition.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 28, 2015

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Two more months :negative:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

One one hand yeah, it is a long time to wait, but on the other hand it's not too surprising because October is a pretty common month for shows to premiere their new seasons. Just be glad Rebels isn't following the Gravity Falls release schedule.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Preview clip from the 10/14 episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAGvFBwG834

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Was just about to post that. We have a date too now, 14th October.

Can't wait.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Looks like they won't refrain from Kanan having... issues, with working with clones.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
The way she says trust him is so creepy for some reason.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

MrBigglesworth posted:

The way she says trust him is so creepy for some reason.

Because she knows how Kanan is probably going to react.

Anyways, a clip from that star wars event got leaked, featuring everyone's favorite profiteering privateer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcMI8Z7h70E

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I haven't watched or read up about Rebels: Season 1. I was really disgusted for TCW for being cancelled and remade into Rebels, a Disney version of TCW with a smaller budget aimed at possibly even younger kids than on Cartoon Network. I do know that a couple key people behind TCW got moved to Rebels which gives me hope that the show can appeal to a young adult Star Wars fan.

So how is the show? Are the plots and characters actually compelling? Or does it contain lots of JarJar Binks type tomfoolery and meaningless stories in the Star Wars universe? I still debating to spend the money on buying Season 1 bluray.

Also I just watched the clip above, it looks like it took a graphical hit compared to TCW, but of course that's just 1 small scene. Also I disappointed that Hondo gets all the fame while my favorite villain Cad Bane gets left in the dust.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rebels is good. It's different from TCW in that it's just focusing on a single group of characters, but it's still compelling. It's not a super Jar Jar kids show. The graphical hit is mainly because George isn't throwing literally millions of dollars an episode out anymore.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Ahsoka's lack of eyebrows bugs me now.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Rebels is good. It's different from TCW in that it's just focusing on a single group of characters, but it's still compelling. It's not a super Jar Jar kids show. The graphical hit is mainly because George isn't throwing literally millions of dollars an episode out anymore.

Pretty much this. Also whilst the first few episodes can be a bit standard, the series quickly hits its stride with 'Rise of the Old Masters', and remains consistently good thereafter. Its definitely a worthwhile addition to the franchise, and don't let the issue of its aesthetic turn you away. I mean really, if you need encouragement that this show can get as dark about things as TCW did, know that one of the first things Tarkin does when he appears is order the execution of the villainous comic relief.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

ijii posted:

I haven't watched or read up about Rebels: Season 1. I was really disgusted for TCW for being cancelled and remade into Rebels, a Disney version of TCW with a smaller budget aimed at possibly even younger kids than on Cartoon Network. I do know that a couple key people behind TCW got moved to Rebels which gives me hope that the show can appeal to a young adult Star Wars fan.

So how is the show? Are the plots and characters actually compelling? Or does it contain lots of JarJar Binks type tomfoolery and meaningless stories in the Star Wars universe? I still debating to spend the money on buying Season 1 bluray.

Also I just watched the clip above, it looks like it took a graphical hit compared to TCW, but of course that's just 1 small scene. Also I disappointed that Hondo gets all the fame while my favorite villain Cad Bane gets left in the dust.
Having only seen one season of TCW (slowly watching it on netflix) and I know that show gets better as it goes on, I can say Rebels is very good and more entertaining for me, at least it had a more solid and coherent first season, given it follows a small group and not a galaxy.
Just watch it, you won't hate it, you just might not like it as much.

Speaking of S1, bluray/dvd announced, looks to have those Rebel Recon youtube videos as extras plus celebration Q&A panels, plus a season 2 preview thingy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXcRoeAfJ2A

quote:

Coming to Blu-ray and DVD on September 1, Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season One brings another chapter in the epic Star Wars story to your own personal Jedi Archives. With 15 action-packed episodes, never-before-seen bonus material, and interviews with the cast and crew, the only thing missing is your own kyber crystal.
So you can probably find it in stores now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rebels is a similar show to TCW in terms of tone, but the stakes are much smaller and the feel is more intimate. People have compared it many times to being more similar to a pen & paper RPG session than the space operatic scale of TCW.

Both are valid takes, and both are good for many of the same reasons, mainly because the people working on them are smart and are presenting their own take on Star Wars. They pay constant homage to the films but at the same time aren't married to them, if that makes sense.

Opinions are divided on which is better, but personally I think the short run of Rebels has already blown TCW out of the water. Obviously it doesn't look as good, but the cast and overarching story has been extremely strong so far.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

We are just about a month out from the start of regular episodes of Rebels, so here's a featurette about clones. :v:

Also, this cam-captured TV spot has some sick-rear end beats.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Between this and the Kanan comic (which is awesome if you haven't seen it) I'm really hoping we get further into how clones are getting by in the years after the Republic and how they feel about stuff like Order 66 and the new Empire.

Especially as they age (at double speed). By Rebels time I doubt many are still actively serving in combat units. Most have probably been given medical discharges with a few being relegated to desk jobs and such.

While Rex and co seem to have pulled their chips and jumped ship before O66, I'd be pretty interested in seen how most clones deal with life after the military. Especially since I doubt the Empire gives enough of a poo poo about them to provide something as kind as a pension.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Between this and the Kanan comic (which is awesome if you haven't seen it) I'm really hoping we get further into how clones are getting by in the years after the Republic and how they feel about stuff like Order 66 and the new Empire.

Especially as they age (at double speed). By Rebels time I doubt many are still actively serving in combat units. Most have probably been given medical discharges with a few being relegated to desk jobs and such.

While Rex and co seem to have pulled their chips and jumped ship before O66, I'd be pretty interested in seen how most clones deal with life after the military. Especially since I doubt the Empire gives enough of a poo poo about them to provide something as kind as a pension.

Since they age fast, they wouldn't have to pay a pension for long, and they woukd be perfect propaganda pieces. Come see the heroes of Ryloth! They would be front and center of those Empire Day parades.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

ijii posted:

Graphical hit is the biggest loss. Stories are still strong, and the tight focus on a single cell works. While it definitely started lighter than the average TCW tone, it is getting rapidly darker -- we're about to hit the darkest part of the Imperial Era, as the Rebellion goes hot and the boot comes down hard on everyone everywhere. And, honestly, if they brought back Honda, Cad Bane is going to show up.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
old clones get sent to a nice moisture farm where they can run around and play with other clones

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Speak of the Clone Devil, and he shall appear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Qc5JWxIaA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
I never thought about how they all have the same voice actor, that's kind of amazing actually.

• Locked thread