Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Sure, why not. I'll try! I could use a losertar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Well, mine will be late, but I'll get it done tonight, even if submissions are closed I don't want my work to go to waste, hopefully someone will still think it's ok to read!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

My own worst enemy

We’ll see how well they do without me. They’ll learn not to take me for granted when they realize that the biggest, strongest, smartest member of their stupid little group isn’t there to rely on anymore. They won’t last a week. I can’t believe they …

Suddenly there was a loud crash from somewhere behind me and I immediately crouched and then froze. All that I could hear right now was my heart beating and my deliberately shallow breathing. I looked around cautiously, trying not to make any sudden movements, which might have given away my position. Whatever had made the noise didn’t seem to be coming toward me, at least not at the moment.

drat it Craig! Focus! You can’t let your mind wander right now, you need to figure out where you are going and get there, who knows how many of them are out here, stop thinking about the past and whining like a pussy. Who cares if she chose him over you, she obviously has terrible taste and she’ll end up dooming all of them with that terrible taste! Derek is useless. He has all of the talents that you would expect he’d have, considering his career before the outbreak. Seriously, just because he’s a pretty face…

There was a loud thump somewhere ahead in the darkness that shook me away from my thoughts once again. I focused on the darkness, looking for a sign of movement while continuing to breathe very shallow breaths. I decided that the shortcut through this house just wasn’t worth it since it was pitch black on the inside and decided to start backing out very slowly toward the front door. I heard shuffling noises from the darkness further into the house start moving quickly toward me and decided I’d been seen. I turned around and sprinted out of the house.

It was brighter outside. The moon was at about three quarters so I could see the street fairly well. This had been a busy street at one time so it was a wide 4 lane road and there were no cars parked along the curb. I could see the open street ahead and couldn’t see any of them along it so I kept running as fast as I could, not bothering to look behind me as I went.

I ran until I was out of breath. I was getting close to the big downtown hospital. I knew better than to go there, too many of them would be there. I could definitely use some Adderall to help keep my thoughts focused, my prescription that I had ran out months ago, But I knew they’d be there waiting. Too many people tried to get there for essential medical supplies and they knew it. There were always dozens of them just sitting there patiently, like a Venus flytrap just waiting to clamp shut on the insects who tried to buzz inside.

No I can’t go anywhere near that place, but I have to get to my old safe house. I am sure it would still be secure, I was very thorough at locking it down when I left. It was also very hard to find. I was happy there before I decided to join up with all of them. Safety in numbers they said. What really hooked me was Alyssa, she looked amazing even with her hair unkempt and her dirty clothes, she still looked like an angel to me, come to save me during the apocalypse and take me away to Heaven. Yea, like there’s any such place, if there is, it’s not anywhere near this hell hole.

I walked back down the block, trying to find an unobstructed path through. It was too intact, there was no way through except through one of the houses or yards. The house I had cleared a path through in the past apparently had new occupants so I had to find another path. I had no way to know which houses had gates into the alley behind them, so I guess I was just going to have to roll the dice.

I found a good target. A house that had the front door broken off and most of the windows busted out. That means there were lots of ways to get out in a hurry if I needed to. I crept up to the door, listening intently for any sort of movement. There was nothing. I took a deep breath and slowly stepped inside. I slowly made my way across the living room, toward what looked like a doorway to a kitchen. I made it to the doorway and peered through it cautiously. I looked to be in shambles, but empty and I hadn’t heard so much as a creak since I had started creeping through. I started to breathe a little more easily and relaxed a bit now that I was fairly sure the place was empty.

Why wasn’t I good enough? I did everything. I guided us as we scavenged for what we needed to fortify our base camp. I designed the trench and fence system around the place. I designed most of the noise traps to alert us of trespassers as well. I knew where to find guns, I knew where to find supplies. I knew it all, my life before this had prepared me. I watched every movie, played every video game, even read some of the books. I never thought it would actually happen, but when it did, I was the most prepared. I even thought it would make a difference and that she would appreciate my talents. I guess I was wrong. So wrong. But I still miss her. I even miss a couple of the others. Joe and Frank were good people and Jason was hilarious. I wonder if they’d let me come back. I wonder if they even notice that I left. I wond…

The light coming in through the back door dampened a bit and I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. It was standing right there in the doorway. How did I let it get so close, I should have heard it coming from quite a ways away, they weren’t exactly known for their stealth! I had to get out of here! I turned to run for the front door and to my horror there was another one there. There were three more along the windows. They had me trapped. How had I let this happen? I had never allowed one to get this close, let alone five of them. I looked around desperately. It looked like there was a hallway into some back rooms in the corner of the living room. I might be able to beat them to it.

I took off in a sprint and immediately cracked my shin on an unseen piece of debris. The pain was blinding and I fell sprawled out onto the carpet. I tried to get up and went to run again but my foot didn’t move. One of them had me. I kicked it hard with my other foot but it’s grip was like a bear trap. The others moved in slowly, almost like they were cats playing with a mouse.

Maybe she’ll be close enough to hear my final screams…

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 31, 2015

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Jamfrost posted:

^ Well, you know, maybe he still got the girl. Only she wasn't Alyssa and she brought an appetite. I was slightly confused by your capitalization of dozens since I didn't know how that made it significant and because it read as a regular word instead of some kind of name for the creatures/probably zombies ie "There were always Dozens..." versus something like "The Dozens would wait patiently..."
-
Cronodoculous, I liked your use of the elemental and your ending. I still want justice for that Grand Magus. Darn, young 'uns.

Thanks for pointing that out! That was an error that managed to sneak past the editor, who was also the writer, who was also very tired when he finally posted this. I fixed it, to not be capitalized!

Cronodoculous posted:

Thanks for posting your story anyway deathbagel, I enjoyed it.

Your entry was pretty interesting Jamfrost, I definitely didn't see that ending coming.

Thank you for reading it!

I also welcome any and all critique. I haven't really written anything since college about 15 years ago so I'm sure I have all kinds of horrible problems that I'd like to fix!

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 31, 2015

• Locked thread