Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Layton Brothers: Mystery Room.

Orginally intended to be a murder mystery Nintendo DS game released in 2010, as part of the Atamania series, in 2011, Level-5 announced at their World 2011 event that the game would no longer be released on the Nintendo DS, but iOS instead, and further more, under the name Layton Brothers: Mystery Room, the game would now be set in the Professor Layton universe.

Layton Brothers: Mystery Room was released in Japan in 2012, and was released in June 2013 on the iOS in the West. In September 2013, the game was also released on Android. Despite the change of setting, the game remained as a murder mystery.

(Information taken from Wikipedia.)

This will be a screenshot LP, playing the Android version of the game.

Speculation is more than welcomed (I really enjoy reading people's theories), but please no spoilers for any events in this game that haven't yet been shown in the LP, not even under a spoiler bar. I don't mind spoilers from the main Professor Layton series, but please ensure that any such spoilers are under a spoiler bar, and that you clearly mark above the bar which game the spoiler pertains to.

For those of you that have not played the Professor Layton series, you won't miss (aside from a few minor references) or spoil anything by reading this LP. There is a completed LP of the first game, Professor Layton and the Curious Village in the LP Archive – http://lparchive.org/Professor-Layton-and-the-Curious-Village/, and an ongoing LP of the second game, Professor Layton and Pandora's Box – http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694886. Please note you should read Professor Layton and the Curious Village before Professor Layton and Pandora's Box.

Text spoken by a character in Italics denotes that the character is speaking in a raised voice. Text spoken by a character in Bold is my replacement for red text in the game.

Finally, you may play the first three cases of this game for free, the other cases must be purchased in two packs – if you enjoy the LP, and haven't bought this game, I would encourage you to do so:

Google Play – https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Level_5.MysteryRoomENG

iOS - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/layton-brothers-mystery-room/id640517092?mt=8

Index

Case 0 Complete

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
End

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
End

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
End

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
End

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
End
Hints

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
End

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
End

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
End
Extra

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Extra
Part 15
End

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Not much to say about the title screen. Other than it's probably one of very few title screens that focus on a pair of shoes.

This is the case select screen. This game has nine cases (ten if you count case 0, which consists of less than five minutes introductory conversation). None of the cases are overly long though, a first-time playthrough of this game is likely to take around 5-7 hours.

The file on the right of the screen is actually case 3, not case 1. Case 1 is only visible once you've completed case 0.

Music stops.

I don't know if it's an iOS/Android or a regional difference, but there is a version that shows this opening with almost full lighting. Personally I prefer the near complete darkness version. For anyone who has played this game, could you please refrain from linking or posting the lit up version?

This is what I meant when I mentioned replacing red text.

I were miles away. It's such a nice day out there. I couldn't help gazing out the window.

DC Baker (and her accent) are from Yorkshire, in Northern England. She's also our playable character.

It makes no difference to anything! Maybe if you'd seen a lucky red bat...

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's closed down tomorrow, quite frankly.

Aye, but it's where all t'other cases that no one else can solve get sent, isn't it?

Where the real stinkers get cracked!

I'm sure you'll do very well there.

Thank you, Commissioner!

Hmph, you'll have to work very hard to prove yourself, Baker, considering your performance up to now.

Now I know I did particularly badly in my exams.

Not a mental image any of us needed.

Ha ha ha. Don't worry, DC Baker. I've put you with a very special Inspector. He won't let you put a foot wrong. And there's not an officer in the force who can match his powers of deduction.

Ee, really? I'll be working with someone that good, eh?

That's grand. I'll get cracking then and introduce myself straight away.

Are you sure about this, Commissioner? He's so unstable. You could be putting her in danger.

That sounds ominous.

We just have to have faith.

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 21, 2015

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Oh I've been curious about this for a while! Surprised I haven't played it for myself yet, maybe this'll push me to do just that.

Can't wait to see where this goes!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yeah, going to follow this. I never played any of the games past the third one, so I'm interested how the series changed. :v:

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Oooh, Layton Brothers Mystery Room! :allears:

Too bad they never made a sequel to it (nor I think they are planning to). I just loved the original.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, puzzles run in the family, I suppose? That's touching, it is.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Case Two is still hiding.

Oh, where is everyone?

Well, seeing as I've got the place to myself, I might as well have a practise.

Ahem! The true culprit of this crime...

There are probably better ways to make a lasting first impression.

Oh! No, I'm...

Who are you?

Ah, yes, I do seem to recall reading some memo about a new assistant the other day.

That's me. Pleased to meet you, er....I don't think I caught your name.

Oh, yes. Sorry. I haven't introduced myself yet, have I?

As you've probably guessed, Inspector Alfendi Layton, complete with his Dangan Ronpa protagonist hairstyle, is the other lead character.

But please don't feel obligated to stick to formalities when you address me.

Oh, well then. Seeing as you'll be showing me the ropes and whatnot, how about I call you 'Prof'?

I'm not entirely sure that's appropriate.

Well, you did say there's no need to stick to formalities, didn't you? 'Prof' it is, then!

Hm. Just bear in mind that I haven't yet decided if this will be a permanent position for you or not.

:stare: Alfendi certainly comes across as being more uptight than Hershel, at least on first impression. Alfendi certainly has every right to tell Lucy not to call him Prof, and Lucy should have respected that, but implying that she could lose her job because of it seems a slight overreaction.

Eh?

A rather interesting new case has just cropped up as it happens. The perfect opportunity to prove yourself.

Let me talk you through the case. It happened just a few days ago, at a hotel in a very busy holiday resort.

Yes. It's a five-star hotel with a wonderful sea view.

Unfortunately on this occasion, it was also the scene of a murder.

Oh. A murder, eh?

The writers obviously decided to take a leaf from Ace Attorney's book with the pun names.

Though she has stayed at the hotel alone on several prior occasions, this time she was with her lover.

It was the bellboy, a Mr Zach Carrière who brought the order to the room. He's the first suspect.

Sorry for the number of screenshots that have someone with their eyes closed.

After Carrière left the room, a man claiming to be Ms Aldwich's lover turned up.

Claiming to be?

Yes. This is where it gets a little complicated. You see, the man who turned up at the hotel that day stubbornly refuses to identify himself.

Sounds pretty guilty if you ask me.

He let himself in using a key card that she'd sent him.

If you believe his statement, yes, that's what he's saying.

I don't know...Withholding his identity? That's dead fishy.

Yes. Anyway, let me tell you the rest.

That brings us to next suspect: a hotel cleaner who saw the sign and went in to clean the room.

Her name is Vera Wiposky.

She started to clean the room as normal. At some point, she drew the closed curtains back, and noticed Aldwich was outside on the terrace.

But sadly, that wasn't the case.

She'd been strangled to death.

And she lay there with one hand inside the sandwich she'd ordered.

Eh? A hand sandwich?

Whatever could that mean?

If you manage to work that out, you'll pass my test.

Oh. Well, I'll do my best.

Good. Right, well, let's see what we have on the suspects so far.

Okay, I'm all ears.

As I've said, we're looking at three possible suspects.

He does admit to having been in the room at around the time of the murder. However, he claims he never saw or spoke to her.

So do you think she were somewhere else then?

Either that, or she was on the terrace, and he simply didn't notice. It seems the curtains were closed when he came into the room.

I've already confirmed that it's impossible to see anything on the terrace with the curtains shut.

Still you'd think he'd figure it out. I mean you'd know, wouldn't you? If you were lovers.

Apparently, in this world, having a lover means you gain the psychic ability to always know the exact location of said lover. Or maybe Lucy's been reading the Sword of Truth series.

And he won't tell us his name. Come on, do we really have to look any further? It were him!

Let's just move on to the next suspect, shall we? Before making any rash judgements.

And this Carrière fellow, he saw Aldwich when she were still alive, didn't he?

If you believe his statement, then yes, he's the last person to have seen the victim alive.

I'd say that's worth double-checking then, eh?

She saw the service request sign on the door and entered the room to clean it, then discovered the body.

Hmm...The one who discovered the body, eh? Fishy.

And that's everyone who's under suspicion.

The most intriguing thing about this case, of course, is why Aldwich's hand ended up in her sandwich.

Aye, that sarnie's a right brain-teaser and no mistake.

Obviously it couldn't have just happened by chance. It clearly has some meaning.

Okay, I follow you. I'll be sure to have a good look into the sandwich.

So, now you have all the information, who do you think the culprit is?

Eh!? Just off the top of my head, you mean? Hadn't I better take a look at the crime scene and all that stuff first?

Over there? How do you mean?

Have a look.

By 'eck, Prof! What's this?

It completely eliminates any need to leave the office and travel to the real scene of the crime.

I had no idea modern policing were so advanced.

Well actually, you won't find a machine like this anywhere else. It's one of a kind.

So, shall we get down to the actual investigative business now?

What? Just five minutes?

Don't worry, Lucy.

I'm well aware it's hard for you to determine the culprit based on your current knowledge of the case.

Why don't you tell me what your gut instinct is, first of all? Who do you feel like the criminal is?

Listening to your hunches is a vital part of the process. After that, we'll start making some deductions.

Understood, Prof.

The yellow circles denote areas of interest. Tapping one takes you to a zoomed in-view.

Once you've zoomed in on an area of interest, you'll be able to tap on the various items to add them to the evidence.

You can also use the slider at the bottom to further zoom-in; this will sometimes reveal new evidence.

Once you've collected all the evidence from one of the areas, the circle will change to grey, and will have a check-mark in the centre.

You can also rotate the view around, but it's not needed for this case.

Investigating the other points of interest in the crime scene:

The Potted Plant:

The Window:

Once you've finished collecting all the evidence, you need to tap the Name the Culprit button to move things along.

In addition to the evidence just collected, each suspect has given a couple of statements. The red bar in the top right-hand corner allows you to read the case summary, which is basically a shortened version of the summary Alfendi just gave us, change the music and sound effect levels, check the witness statements and the evidence we've collected so far.

The victim's lover

Statement 1:

Yes, I went into the room, but I had no idea Sandy was out on the terrace. How could I? The curtains were drawn shut.

Statement 2:

Actually when I entered the room, there was a strong smell of scent. It wasn't Sandy's perfume, it was the aftershave that bellboy I passed in the corridor wears.

Statement 3:

I left the room and hung the “Please make up my room” sign on the handle as I went. It was an absolute pigsty in there.

Zach Carrière

Statement 1:

Mademoiselle Aldwich had called room service. She wanted to eat on the terrace, so I took her food out to the table there and then immediately left the room.

Statement 2:

While I was delivering her order, Mademoiselle Aldwich and I spoke. She shared my passion for crime fiction. We had a lively conversation on the topic.

Vera Wipovsky

Statement 1:

I only cleaned the room, that's all! The sign was on the door. All the doors lock automatically when they close, but I have a master key, you see.

Statement 2:

I opened the curtains while I was cleaning the room, and there was the young girl out on the terrace. I was surprised, so I called out to her, but...she was dead?

Does any one have any comments about the current layout of this LP? I'm especially concerned about the evidence gathering, since some of the cases have quite a lot of evidence. Are you happy for me to continue using thumbnail images, or should I just put the evidence gathering in a test post, and link to it?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Layout looks great. Having the evidence shots timg'ed makes them pretty manageable, and if anyone doesn't want to bother, they're not in the way at that size. Of course, it does take a while to load the page...

I wanted to suspect the maid, what with her hints at possible homicidal jealousy, but I think I've got to go for the waiter, because of his statements.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

HydroSphere posted:

Zach Carrière

Statement 1:

Mademoiselle Aldwich had called room service. She wanted to eat on the terrace, so I took her food out to the table there and then immediately left the room.

Statement 2:

While I was delivering her order, Mademoiselle Aldwich and I spoke. She shared my passion for crime fiction. We had a lively conversation on the topic.

I guess Case 1 is going to be the easy tutorial? Bolded statements contradict, drill this guy for more info.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Between this game and The Great Ace Attorney, I get the feeling that both Level-5 and Capcom enjoyed the mechanics of the other series but hated working with each other.

I'm going with the assumption that Wipovsky is the murderer since I presume Aldwich had an affair with her husband. That'd be unfortunate for her ten children, though. :ohdear:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 25, 2015

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
The format seems fine to me.

I'm most suspicious of the bellboy right now. The lover's fingerprints aren't on the window, so he didn't go to the terrace. The sandwich, delivered by the bellboy, is untouched save for the victim's hand replacing the chicken; if she had been alive until the maid entered the room, it would probably have been eaten.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I believe it's the Bellboy because he's the only guy who is not wearing a tie, and the tie is (presumeably) the murder weapon. Bellboys in hotels generally wear ties, and his collared shirt can fit a tie as well.

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
I figure it was the bellboy though the lover is still under suspicion depending on circumstances. At the very least I figure the maid is clear of suspicion.
Aldwich was found on the terrace which given that her's, the bellboy's and the maid's finger prints were on the door if it was closed when the maid entered means that the bellboy and the maid had access to her prior to the discovery of her corpse, although given the state of the sandwich, it seems like her hand was deliberately placed in it rather than it ending up being sandwiched in a struggle, I feel that she was killed fairly early on in the timeframe, otherwise I figure the sandwich would have been at least partially eaten. Therefore the only person who had the opportunity to strangle her was the bellboy.
Additionally I feel that Aldwich was not killed at the table but rather in the room itself, given the lover's statement that the room was "an absolute pigsty" which also implies a struggle which if true means that the body was placed out on the terrace in order to prevent discovery, atleast from people in the room itself.
Of course if the terrace door was open the whole time then most of what I said was meaningless since the lover would have had access to her without leaving his fingerprints.
I also figure that the lover is Bosco Phelps considering conservation of detail and Aldwich's profile.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm going to say that the Bellboy is the most suspicious.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

I see. And what's your reasoning?

Well, he were the last person to see Aldwich alive. And if it were him, it would make the statements of the other two add up nicely.

Yes, that's true.

Of course, you could say exactly the same about the other two suspects.

Those facts alone aren't enough to prove anything.

No, I suppose not. Do you have a better idea then, Prof? Do you think you know who did it?

Oh yes, certainly.

According to my deductions, I'm...

...97.6% sure of the killer's identity.

You work to one decimal place? I'm shocked.

The fact is, this is an unusually simple case.

Why is it being handled in the office known for dealing with the tough cases that no one else can solve then?

I've been able to ascertain almost exactly what happened on the day of the incident.

Nevertheless, there's a 2.4% window of uncertainty which cannot be ignored.

Because of the helpful fellow that won't tell us his name, is it?

Naturally that's one area of uncertainty, yes.

So it were the nameless wonder after all, eh?

There's been alarm bells ringing in my head ever since you said he were claiming to be the lass's boyfriend.

: Aye, this were a crime of passion!

The stone heart that appeared on Mr Fool is like a damage indicator. As Alfendi and Lucy break the arguments of a witness/suspect, the stone heart will start chipping away, and eventually break.

Sorry, Lucy. I neglected to tell you.

I was interviewing this man earlier.

Oh, right.

What's your problem with me, huh? What have I done wrong?

Well, Mr, er...err....oh, that's right, we don't know your name.

The red and green arrows appear during witness interviews. They're really more decorative than anything else.

Now let's all try to remain calm, shall we? This is all conjecture. No one's making any accusations.

Perhaps if you could explain why you feel the need to withhold your identity...?

Okay, sure. I refuse to tell you who I am. But I swear I've done absolutely nothin' to break the law.

I can't have my name printed in connection with this kind of thing. I've got my business to think about.

I, I might do.

You've got it in one, officer.

Look, I've told you everythin' I know about what happened that day. Where I was, who I saw.

Until my lawyer turns up, I'm not obligated to tell you anythin' more.

I see. That's fine. We do understand.

You're free to go, then.

Eh? You're just going to let him waltz out of here?

Yes.

Doorbell rings.

We have another appointment now, anyway.

Urgh, what is that smell? It's that aftershave again...

I dunno why you're making such a fuss about me. Haven't you got the guy who did it already?

Actually, we have yet to make a firm decision on that.

But I'm good to go, right?

Ooh, he's so full of himself. I'm going to find summat on you, you mark my words!

Well, first we have another interview to conduct with someone else.

I believe he's already waiting outside.

Oui, that is my name. May I ask what all this is in aid of?

As the last person to have seen the victim alive, we were hoping you'd be able to assist us with our enquiries.

Enquiries?

Yes, we're investigating the young woman's death and we'd like you to fill in a few gaps for us.

Oui, bon. If this is all you are asking, I am 'appy to try 'elp you. As it 'appens, I am a great fan of crime fiction. I 'ave many things to say about this case, Inspecteur.

Oh, no...

Well, we'll look forward to hearing your opinions, Mr Carrière.

Par exemple, something Vera – you know, the cleaner – told me. It is very strange.

Oh aye, the hand sandwich, eh?

There were a piece of fried fish just next to it that caught my eye. Very sus, if you ask me.

You 'ave noticed? Bravo, mademoiselle! You are a detective par excellence.

If we can establish how Ms. Aldwich died, we may learn something about the sandwich mystery in the process.

Of course! This is elementary detective work, n'est-ce pas Inspecteur?

Like many foreign language speaking characters in video games, Carrière suffers from random aphasia.

Grand idea, Prof.

So, Lucy. Let's get this investigation underway, hm?

Right you are!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alfendi is such a sassy bitch compared to his father. I like it.

I'm assuming his percentage meter is just an indication of how difficult the case is?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
This is really interesting, actually. Looking forward to following this as the cases get more difficult.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I just want to see how all these odd bits of evidence fit together. It's not quite hamster gymnastics but it's fun all the same.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This looks pretty good. The main drawback of the Layton games for me was that the story wasn't compelling enough for me to put up with all the frustrating puzzles. This seems both more intuitive and more interesting.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm excited to see this game! There was another LP of it a while ago but it stopped updating pretty much right here. Looking forward to seeing how this all pans out. Just to clarify, the arrows in the conversations aren't dialogue options or anything? I assumed they had something to do with the heart 'cause they appear at the same time, but it seems like they're entirely separate. If they're purely cosmetic then they seem kinda intrusive and tacky.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Cantaloupe posted:

Just to clarify, the arrows in the conversations aren't dialogue options or anything? I assumed they had something to do with the heart 'cause they appear at the same time, but it seems like they're entirely separate. If they're purely cosmetic then they seem kinda intrusive and tacky.

Hydro didn't make gifs of them but when the green/red arrows are up, they get fired at the opposing side after each line, either making their target wince if it's an effective argument/annoys them or bouncing off if they aren't scared/intimidated by them. They don't affect anything but are kind of fun to watch them as a sign of progress. And the text in them have gold sometimes.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Alfendi is such a sassy bitch compared to his father. I like it.

I'm assuming his percentage meter is just an indication of how difficult the case is?
Somewhat, yeah. The less sure Alfendi is, the harder the case is. Even then the case files DOES have a difficulty level and you should be basing the difficulty of the case on them anyway.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Level Seven posted:

Hydro didn't make gifs of them but when the green/red arrows are up, they get fired at the opposing side after each line, either making their target wince if it's an effective argument/annoys them or bouncing off if they aren't scared/intimidated by them. They don't affect anything but are kind of fun to watch them as a sign of progress. And the text in them have gold sometimes.

Speak of the gif...and it will appear:

I hope this doesn't disappoint anyone, but I'm not planning on making gifs of the arrows being fired - I think there's just too many in the game. I do plan to post screenshots of most of the arrows though, as I don't think it'd be the same transcribing them.

Cantaloupe posted:

I'm excited to see this game! There was another LP of it a while ago but it stopped updating pretty much right here. Looking forward to seeing how this all pans out. Just to clarify, the arrows in the conversations aren't dialogue options or anything? I assumed they had something to do with the heart 'cause they appear at the same time, but it seems like they're entirely separate. If they're purely cosmetic then they seem kinda intrusive and tacky.

When I first played this game, I thought the arrows were dialogue options, and I kept tapping whichever I thought was the right one. I don't think I realised that the arrows were cosmetic until case 2.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

HydroSphere posted:

When I first played this game, I thought the arrows were dialogue options, and I kept tapping whichever I thought was the right one. I don't think I realised that the arrows were cosmetic until case 2.

So did you try to select "I pity," "the," or "fool?" A lot of the arrows end up just being noise, but there are some like that set that are pretty funny.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

blackmongoose posted:

So did you try to select "I pity," "the," or "fool?" A lot of the arrows end up just being noise, but there are some like that set that are pretty funny.

I didn't think that I got to pick the opposite sides' arguments (I would have selected "I pity" though). :)

What's all this then?

Pick whichever one you think you'd like to tackle, and we'll start investigating it.

Right you are, Prof.

Picking the sole option we have right now.

First examine the body, and we'll see if we can establish a cause of death.

I'll get on it right away.

In this phase of a case, we need to find whatever we're told to, (in this case, the body), and answer questions. You're also free to put off looking for whatever, and go collect any evidence that you may have missed in the initial timed investigation without any repercussions. Unlike the initial investigation, there is no time limit here.

It looks like posterior strangulation.

You're familiar with the terminology, are you, Lucy? You know what 'posterior strangulation' is?

Well, posterior usually refers to the behind or rear of something, so...

Ahem! That would hardly be life-threatening, would it, Lucy?

It would be if someone tried it on me!

Aye, 'posterior strangulation' means someone wrung her neck from behind.

Precisely. That was an easy one. Sadly not all of the problems we tackle here have such simple answers.

No, I'm sure.

If you're ever up against a brick wall, you might appreciate a hint or two about the evidence.

Just tap the hint icon next to the evidence in question under Fact-finding in the menu.

Oh, thanks for that, Prof. I'll bear it in mind. Menu, Fact-finding, then tap the hint icon. Got it.

I'll cover some of the hints at the end of each case. Some hints don't really add anything, some provide a little conversational interaction between Alfendi and Lucy, but some spoil future events in the current case.

Oh, sorry, Mr Carrière.

Yes, according to the report, they did find the murder weapon at the scene.

Let's see if you can uncover it too, shall we, Lucy? The murder weapon.

No problem.

An examination of the body shows that Ms. Aldwich was strangled with a long, thin, strap-like item.

The murder weapon should be on the scene somewhere, so that's what you're looking for.

I'll find it, Prof, don't you worry.

I found a tie here, look.

Yes. Which would be consistent with the marks left on Ms Aldwich's neck.

That cravat...

Oh? Do you know summat about this tie, Mr Carrière?

Oui. It is the cravat of the lover of Mademoiselle Aldwich.

Somewhere, in a different time and place, Miles Edgeworth is slapping a desk and yelling Objection!

I believe 'is name is Monsieur Phelps. Oui. Bosco Phelps.

By 'eck, you know his name?

Oui. I was something of a confidant to Mademoiselle Aldwich at times.

Give over!

I apologise for not saying this before, but I am not comfortable to speak of the private matters of the clientele.

Now, I wish I 'ad not been so 'ighly principled, and per'aps a life could 'ave been saved.

We'd best call Phelps back in, eh, Prof? With this new info.

Perhaps. Let me just mull it over for a while.

First we should tackle this case's biggest mystery.

Yes.

The victim's body was found with her hand thrust among the ingredients of the sandwich she'd ordered.

Dead fishy, that.

Oui, this is of vital importance.

Let's examine the sandwich first and foremost.

Then we'll try to establish what her hand being inside it is telling us.

This is the sarnie in question.

With the mademoiselle's 'and inside.

An intriguing scene indeed.

The appearance of the stone heart can be a little inconsistent during the secondary investigation stage.

As I said in my statement, Mademoiselle Aldwich shared my passion for crime fiction. The idea of a murder victim leaving a dying message would not 'ave been strange to 'er.

You mean, like some sort of clue to the killer's identity? Ee, how exciting!

Hm, a message? That's an interesting idea.

I'll adjust things so you can examine the sandwich in more detail. Excuse me a moment.

Alfendi briefly disappears.

There. Now you'll be able to have a more through look at it.

So, are you ready to examine the sandwich again?

Aye, let's get stuck in!

That sandwich sounds kind of disgusting in my opinion, factoring in the fried fish, and disregarding the hand.

So, you've had a look over it now.

Aye, that I have.

But what is the reason for 'er 'and to be in this sandwich?

I wonder if it's not 'why' her hand is in there. But 'where' her hand is in there, if you see what I mean?

Tres interessant. Apart from 'er 'and it is a sandwich of pickles, egg...

Yes. But let's take another tack.

Can you think of what Ms Aldwich might have been trying to convey in this dying message of hers?

And why do you think that?

I've got it! By 'eck!

Of course! The first letter of each of the ingredients. Magnifique! First we 'ave pickles, then 'er hand, egg, lettuce, pineapple, and finally smoked salmon!

So we do. Whose name does that spell out then?

I've never had to read a sarnie before, but this one spells out P-H-E-L-P-S.

Sarnie and Butty are both slang for sandwich in the UK.

Ee, that doesn't half take a longtime, updating the files like that.

Yes, I know.

But you'll find a lot of extremely relevant information in the updated files. Don't overlook it.

I hear you, Prof.

It seems we 'ave identified the killer. Bosco Phelps is guilty of murder.

Don't you worry!

Well, it seems we've reached a conclusion then.

Thank you very much for your assistance, Mr Carrière.

It was my pleasure. I always like to 'elp see that justice is done.

Aye, ta very much.

Do not 'esitate to contact me if there is anything else I can do.

I assure you, we'll be in touch.

Carrière leaves.

So, we know who the culprit is now, correct?

All sorted!

Okay. Well, let's just make sure we're on the same wavelength before we move on, shall we?

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 1, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Considering there seems to be nothing tying in the maid, I guess my earlier assumption was wrong.

So, if it comes down to being between Phelps and the bellboy, it's got to be the bellboy. Guy's too suspicious.

And yeah, that sounds like the worst (and most coincidentally layered) sandwich.

Edit: Upon re-reading the previous entries, I noticed something I overlooked.

So his actual name is Felps, not Phelps.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 1, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, pineapple and smoked salmon sound like they'd go pretty well together. That being said, it's an utterly ridiculous clue - something an obsessive crime fiction reader would set up to throw the police off trail. Bellboy it is.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

It's the bellboy.
No bloody way anyone would have the presence of spirit of arranging the sandwich that way while getting strangled. Nevermind that is was posterior strangulation, so she couldn't see the culprit's face anyway.

Mighty coincidence that the ingredients fit Phelphs' name too.

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
I agree with Omobono and anilEhilated. The "clue" seems more like a draconian puzzle than information not to mention, possibly again that if the victim's hand ended up in the sandwich while she was being strangled it would have probably ended up all over the place, no this smells like a set-up.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Agreed with the rest, particularly on the point that you don't leave crime-fiction style dying messages when you're getting strangled from behind. Besides which, I still say the lack of fingerprints on the window frame exonerates the lover. Bellboy it is.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Considering there seems to be nothing tying in the maid, I guess my earlier assumption was wrong.

So, if it comes down to being between Phelps and the bellboy, it's got to be the bellboy. Guy's too suspicious.

And yeah, that sounds like the worst (and most coincidentally layered) sandwich.

Edit: Upon re-reading the previous entries, I noticed something I overlooked.

So his actual name is Felps, not Phelps.

Wow, now that's interesting.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Didn't she get a different sandwich, anyway? Why would there be both grilled salmon and fried fish on the same sandwich? It's clearly the bellboy.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
It all depends on how serious the game is. If it's light, cartoony nonsense, then it'll be the boyfriend. If it's trying to provide some actual detection-related challenge, it'll be the bellboy. If it's going for left-field whackiness, it'll be the maid.

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013

curiousCat posted:

Didn't she get a different sandwich, anyway? Why would there be both grilled salmon and fried fish on the same sandwich? It's clearly the bellboy.

Apparently the sandwich is a "double-fish" sandwich.

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wow, now that's interesting.

It also kinda makes the bellboy the most likely option, since Aldwich'd probably spell it Felps in that obtuse sandwich clue thing too. Not that it wasn't already a nonsensical clue. :v:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

This LP made me buy this game, it's pretty amazing so far.

Also the arrows are the best gag.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, it's gotta be the bellboy. Phelps isn't actually his name and she didn't see her killer.

Also his prints aren't on the window, which is kind of a giveaway. He would have had to open the door to get out to her.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

My luck at getting screenshots when characters have their eyes closed continues.

It were Carrière, weren't it?

Yes, it was. No one else could have done it.

You only have to look at the heavily contrived dying message to see it.

Aye, it were a bit too good to be true, eh?

You did realise that, didn't you?

Yes! Of course I realised. I'm a detective par excellence, I'll have you know!

Okay, then. Well, let's examine this elaborate dying message a bit more, hm?

This so-called dying message that names 'Phelps' as the culprit... It's clearly a fake, concocted by someone who didn't know the man very well at all.

Someone like Carrière, you mean?

Yes. There's even evidence on the scene to support that theory.

I suppose you're expecting me to find it, are you?

An excellent deduction, Lucy. Get to work, then.

This is it!

Aye, this receipt's a dead giveaway. It clearly shows the dying message can't have been left by Aldwich.

That's right. I'm glad you spotted it.

Just so we're clear, what is it about the receipt that exposes the dying message as a fake?

The receipt's been signed by Aldwich, but she's forged her fellow's name and written 'Bosco Felps'. But going from the sarnie message, the spelling's 'Phelps'.

So he got the spelling wrong! It's spelt with an “F”, not a “Ph”.

Precisely.

And since the receipt was signed by Aldwich, the man's lover, we can be confident that's the correct spelling.

Which proves that the dying message int' sandwich weren't Aldwich's work at all.

That's right.

In the interests of being thorough, could you verify the correct spelling with the man himself?

I'm sure if you explain why it's so important, he'll cooperate with you.

Aye, leave it with me, Prof.

Lucy briefly disappears.

All done.

Once I told him what were going on, he were actually very helpful.

Good, so our deductions were correct.

It's in the bag then, eh? It were Zach Carrière. No question.

Almost no question. But we've yet to find some truly decisive evidence.

What we need to focus on now is finding evidence that he was the one who actually killed her.

Evidence that Carrière committed the crime? Ee, I don't know where to start, really.

Well, the sandwich is the most glaring contender.

: Right. That were to create summat that looked like a dying message, weren't it?

If you wanted to incriminate Felps, there's a somewhat more obvious message, wouldn't you say?

Oh, now I think I'm starting to see what you're driving at.

Good. The evidence is all right there.

Evidence that shows why he had to put Aldwich's hand in the sandwich.

No...Sorry, Prof. You've lost me again.

Okay, well, you've had a look around the crime scene, so let's turn our attention to the statements. Is there a particular statement that makes you stop and think?

Well, all this talk about perfume and aftershave and that in this statement seems a bit odd to me.

Music stops.

Eh? It is?

I'll explain later. Call Carrière back, would you? Quick as you can.

Consider it done!

We now have enough evidence to prove Carrière committed the murder. This time we'll crack him.

The final showdown takes place in what looks like an interview room, rather than Alfendi's office.

I am surprised you 'ave asked me to come 'ere again.

Pardon?

Mr Felps didn't kill Ms Aldwich.

No, the real killer is....

Mon Dieu! I cannot believe what I am 'earing. You 'ave already established that Phelps is the killer, non?

Oh, that's yesterday's news.

You're the new kid on the block today. And it's going to stick.

Are you out of your mind?

If Mr Felps were truly the culprit, surely he would have gone to greater lengths to hide the murder weapon.

Bof! Impossible!

If you 'ave this evidence, show it to me. I do not believe you.

You may have noticed, there's no score, or energy bar on the screen; this game doesn't have any sort of a penalty system.

I have heard that the Japanese version gave players a ranking at the end of each case, depending on whether you guess the killer correctly at the start of the case, how much evidence you collected, and how many questions you answered correctly, but if that's true it was removed for the English version.

In a way the lack of a penalty system makes sense; we're not trying to convince anyone of the culprit's guilt here, we're trying to get a confession. On the other hand, it makes it far too easy to just present everything and anything until you get the correct answer.

This receipt is the proof!

It is the receipt of the room service, non?

Exactly.

What can this possibly prove?

Have a look for yourself. You may notice it's signed 'Bosco Felps'.

Oui. And?

Ah. Non. Non.

Aye, you've seen it now, haven't you? Felps is spelt with an 'F', not a 'Ph'.

And this signature was penned by Ms Aldwich.

...Mais oui. In normal circumstances, you are right of course. But the sandwich was Ms Aldwich's dying message, that she 'as created while she was being murdered.

True, that would make perfect sense.

But if Ms Aldwich was in a panic, then something else she did doesn't make sense at all.

And what is that?

A certain piece of evidence should make everything clear. Lucy, do you know what piece of evidence I'm referring to?

It's this piece of fried fish with pickle juice on it.

That means it were int' sandwich originally, either just above, or just below the pickles.

I'm sure I don't need to point out what the first letter of 'fried' or 'fish' is, do I, Mr Carrière?

Non...

Anyone who knew the proper spelling of Felps wouldn't have taken out the fish finger and stuck in a hand.

Zut!

: The idea that someone could think to remove some fried fish...and put their own hand into a sandwich while being strangled to death is a little too hard to believe.

No, the person who created this had plenty of time, but sadly didn't know the spelling of Felps.

Oui, per'aps it was not Mademoiselle Aldwich who left this dying message.

We have proof.

Mon Dieu, you 'ave just told me! To create the misspelt dying message, non?

No. That's not it. There was another motive for making sure the victim's hand was in the sandwich. Lucy?

Characters revert to a single pose when a multiple choice question is asked, regardless of the current situation. This can be a slightly jarring, as with Carrière here, he's reaching breaking point, but as soon as a multiple choice question comes up, he goes back into his "standard" relaxed pose.

You wanted to mask the smell of your aftershave that were on Ms Aldwich's hand!

Ugh...

That could be an arrestable offense in itself.

While you were throttling her, I bet Ms Aldwich were grabbing at you, getting that scent all over her hand.

So you needed something to disguise the smell.

But you knew that the victim having her hand in a sandwich would raise too many questions. So you created a diversion, in the form of the dying message.

I think Alfendi was quite well-written. It would have been easy to have made him more or less a carbon copy of Hershel, but they managed to make Alfendi's personality noticeably different, while still retaining some similarities.

We have proof. If I'm not mistaken, Ms Aldwich must have left a mark on you.

You 'ave no basis to say this. Can you see such a wound, uh?

Not at the moment. Because you're hiding it.

You're hiding it...

It's on your neck!

That's the normal place where folk apply aftershave. There or on their wrists.

And I noticed something about you the very first time I set eyes on you.

That unusual way in which you wear your neckerchief.

We'll be able to compare the shape of the wound with Ms Aldwich's fingers to ascertain the truth. Unless you'd rather spare yourself the embarrassment and admit to it now?

I...Non...

She was...

No dramatic breakdowns in this game.

Oh? You were paying her money, were you?

Good luck to them!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure if Alfendi's personality is that much different. If Layton regularly got involved in Phoenix Wright crossovers he'd probably find himself a bit more distant and sarcastic, just from all that clashing against people who killed someone and are desperately trying to hide it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:smug: level: Edgeworth. I think I like Alfendi.
Although I'm going to miss the over the top breakdowns.

• Locked thread