Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I...buh? Why did the squib detonate? Doesn't the "bumping into" provide a lack of time to somehow force Knox to scream during the blackout?

There's got to be more, given that we're ending so abruptly.

I gotta say, I'm not fond of the game's apparent tendency to add or remove facts from the equation when deconstructing a crime scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Discendo Vox posted:

I...buh? Why did the squib detonate? Doesn't the "bumping into" provide a lack of time to somehow force Knox to scream during the blackout?

There's got to be more, given that we're ending so abruptly.

I gotta say, I'm not fond of the game's apparent tendency to add or remove facts from the equation when deconstructing a crime scene.

Maybe that will be noted next update (You'll notice there was no congratulations scene. A "Mystery Solved"... But it's not over yet.), but here's a theory: A blood squib is, essentially, a blood bag (With a means of making it burst, usually a miniature explosive). For realism, where is it going to be placed? Either on the chest, or on the back in a direct line from the "shot".

So, shot happens, bag bursts. However, that introduces a potential problem of its own.

Now, if the next update doesn't have a twist, the criticism is definitely valid. A murder mystery where the facts change is flawed. But the cutoff for this update wasn't the congratulations, and that makes me suspicious.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 19, 2015

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

This case was specifically billed as having an outcome no one could expect, which naturally leads me to suspect the 'least likely person', Blaise herself. This is almost certainly a fake out ending, which is unsurprising but still interesting in that the format is beginning to be played with. So the mystery has been 'solved' in that we know who pulled the trigger on the shot that killed Blaise, but there's much more we don't know.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Kegluneq posted:

suspect the 'least likely person', Blaise herself.

The least likely person is, in fact, Mrs. Dorothy Miggins of 47, The Vale, Pewsey. :colbert:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Ghostwoods posted:

The least likely person is, in fact, Mrs. Dorothy Miggins of 47, The Vale, Pewsey. :colbert:

Nah, she can suspect herself.

Blaise can't. :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ghostwoods posted:

WE'RE ONTO YOU, MIGGINS! :argh:

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

You what?

You overwhelmed me before with your barrage of illogical claptrap. But now I've recovered my poise.

I'm not guilty! I was framed!

Clegg was behind the whole thing!

I don't much care for your constant ducking and diving, Mr Strapping.

I had no idea. When I pulled the trigger, I thought it was the replica gun.

But oh, what a cruel error!

I only realised my mistake after the fatal deed was done.

I've had just about enough of your lies! You can't trick us any more!

Better late than never, I suppose.

Oh, but my dear Lucy, he's telling the truth now.

Someone very carefully arranged for a real gun that looked exactly like the replica to be there at the scene.

Yes, that part of all this was very much a premediated crime.

But everything that followed...That wasn't driven by lust. Nor by heartache. Nor by insanity, even.

Come on, Prof, you're not saying there were someone else involved that switched the guns over?

Oh, yes. There was someone else involved. The mastermind behind this whole charade.

Y-you're getting rather carried away in your soliloquy.

But despite your rather crazed demeanour, I believe you've got to the truth, Inspector!

Indeed, the root of all this evil is Clegg! He's the one that switched the guns!

Bit of a funny way to show it, isn't it?

Why then, you ask, did he feel the need to kill Gloria in front of a theatre full of onlookers?

Listen to you two, yapping like dogs.

There's, there's really no need for violence, Inspector.

Aye, keep your hair on, Prof!

Well, it did stop them arguing.

So, Strapping...

Y-yes? What is it, sir?

You pulled the trigger of what you thought was a replica gun and shot a bullet right through Blaise's heart. Then, to avert suspicion, you cut the lights and had Knox scream as you fired off a blank.

Isn't that how it happened?

To the letter! Bravo, Inspector. A brilliant deduction!

What are you talking about? I did it for justice!

Clegg switched the guns? Don't make me laugh. Remember Blaise's dead body.

That mouse of a man doesn't have the flair for such an inspired death!

I'm starting to feel quite sorry for Clegg, he's been getting verbally attacked all throughout this case. :(

Inspired death? Eh?

The final scene...

: The audience on the edges of their seats, then POW! Shot through the heart!

Blood spilling everywhere! The stage awash with crimson glory!

Working as a police inspector, true calling as a poet.

Magnificent, wouldn't you agree?

Is this fellow quite alright? What are you talking about?

There's nowt magnificent about murder, Prof!

You don't see?

No, I do not!

Ha ha, at least you're plucky.

Think, Lucy, who is the mastermind behind this crime? And what is the evidence that proves it?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, by process of elimination, it's either Blaise herself or Knox. I'll have to check the previous updates to see what evidence points to them, though.

Edit: Right, the note.

If it's Blaise, I'd surmise this is the evidence. The fact that Alfiendish says "ad-libbed" also seems to be a clue, since Knox would still have been alive to manipulate things were it her.

Edit 2: And re-reading the description, it says the bullet went through the note, meaning it was there before the gun was fired. It's definitely looking like Blaise is the culprit.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 22, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm still confused about how the squib went off before she was shot, though. Why include that detail if it was wrong? Why would Strapping feel like he needed to frame someone for this?

vvv That makes no sense! How huge is a squib?! Why knock someone else unconscious? How do you communicate all the necessary information to run that fake scream trick while briefly bumping into someone? :argh:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 23, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm still confused about how the squib went off before she was shot, though. Why include that detail if it was wrong? Why would Strapping feel like he needed to frame someone for this?

She was shot in the squib. Apparently blood and fake blood mix like oil and water.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

HydroSphere posted:

Listen to you two, yapping like dogs.

:stare:

I mean, last time it was all "this personality is just more in-tune with killers" but this is pretty frightening to see from Alfendi, crazy mode or not.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oblivion4568238 posted:

:stare:

I mean, last time it was all "this personality is just more in-tune with killers" but this is pretty frightening to see from Alfendi, crazy mode or not.

Alfendi's treatment of dogs is why Hershel never brings Luke to family reunions anymore. :ohdear:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Alfendi's treatment of dogs is why Hershel never brings Luke to family reunions anymore. :ohdear:

You know the funniest part about this game to me is that it stands out so completely on its own that I forget this is even related to the Layton series. Then Alfendi does something crazy and I go "Oh right, this lunatic is literally Layton's son. Jesus Layton, you're a terrible father."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I was wondering if Alfendi might get the other personality from his mother, but I don't think there's anyone in the Layton games who isn't female, over the age of 12, not related to Layton, and alive. Kinda puts a damper on figuring it out.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hershel Layton reproduces by budding.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

alcharagia posted:

Hershel Layton reproduces by budding.

He releases spores every time he solves a puzzle.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

vvv That makes no sense! How huge is a squib?! Why knock someone else unconscious? How do you communicate all the necessary information to run that fake scream trick while briefly bumping into someone? :argh:

I hope they don't have too many cases where someone behaves in an unfathomably irrational way that just so happens to make for a more confusing crime scene.

I kind of wonder about the legality of Strapping's actions: Obviously he failed to help the victim by his own omission, and on top of that assaulted someone else to frame them for murder, but I wonder if that could be charged as an accomplice to the suicide by trying to conceal it.

Unless this is going to wrap back around and he faked the suicide in order to get away with the murder, which almost seems to make more sense.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
So, it seems like he was framed.

Working from that assumption, why does Destiny bump into Roscoe?

We can discard the idea that they were colluding together because that would mean he was part of it.

Assuming the play goes as normal an accident is very unlikely. That leaves two likely possibilites:

1)Destiny was the mastermind or was working with the mastermind.

2) Something distracted Roscoe or Destiny so he didnt see her coming - probably seeing Blaise actually being shot.

The second option hinges on whether the squib actually hides the real blood properly or not - or if somoene could tell the two situations apart. And if so, why wouldn't they do anything?

I'm more likely to go with the first. I think this is a revenge suicide given the note and the squib remote situation, so - maybe Destiny is working with Blaise (Maybe she hit Clegg on the head too)? I'm not sure to what end the collision is though.

Unless Roscoe still hit Clegg on the head, but why?

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

Hopeford posted:

You know the funniest part about this game to me is that it stands out so completely on its own that I forget this is even related to the Layton series. Then Alfendi does something crazy and I go "Oh right, this lunatic is literally Layton's son. Jesus Layton, you're a terrible father."

All of this makes me wonder what would a Layton family dinner would be like, with Layton, Flora (when the games remember that she exists) and Al.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Discendo Vox posted:

Depends on the squib. In the case of a theatrical squib, it's going to be a blood bag with a small explosive charge on it (Here's a link to a home-made squib... The gentleman's reminder is important, in the case of blood bag squibs), placed directly on both front and back of the area being targeted by the person with the fake gun (Which isn't even going to fire blanks in your average theatrical production.)

So when an actual shot was fired, it would have penetrated the blood bags and... Well, it would definitely look (and sound) more realistic than a squib just designed to burst the bag... :(

There are, of course, other varieties of squib, including the airjet, for the effects of higher caliber shots and more dramatic blood spray. Squib FX provides examples of these.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Unless Roscoe still hit Clegg on the head, but why?
Hasn't he admitted to that already? He thought Clegg had switched the guns before the performance and wanted to make it look like Clegg had fired the fatal shot.

With regards to the collision between Knox and Strapping, I'm assuming that that was more a case of him colliding with her deliberately. I'm not sure why Knox would cover him afterwards though.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Kegluneq posted:

With regards to the collision between Knox and Strapping, I'm assuming that that was more a case of him colliding with her deliberately. I'm not sure why Knox would cover him afterwards though.

Maybe she was in on the con and didn't need much convincing to support Roscoe's story?

That said, Roscoe's behaviour throughout this case is fairly odious, and if Blaise did off herself by proxy, I can see why.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Aerdan posted:

Maybe she was in on the con and didn't need much convincing to support Roscoe's story?

That said, Roscoe's behaviour throughout this case is fairly odious, and if Blaise did off herself by proxy, I can see why.

Who would she be in on the con with? Roscoe trying to make it look like he was set up doesn't make much sense, there are much more subtle ways of killing someone (...I imagine) than shooting them in front of an audience. If it was Blaise, why would she go with Roscoe's plan to deflect blame from him?

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

Hasn't he admitted to that already? He thought Clegg had switched the guns before the performance and wanted to make it look like Clegg had fired the fatal shot.

Yeah, in retrospect thats true. He panicked and then tried to point to Clegg. Stupid and sleazy of him but I suppose that fits the character.

If it was a frame-job and he had realized he had unknowingly killed Blaise could have looked much more innocent by either acting completely unaware, or actively reporting it. But then we wouldn't have had much of a case

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Hopeford posted:

alfendi went crazy because every moment of his life from birth onward reminded his father of puzzles.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Finally something I can talk about without spoiling the game.

"You know son, this meatloaf reminds me of a puzzle"

"Sooo Hungry... dad will not let me eat until I solve this..."

"You know son, your need to use the bathroom reminds me of a puzzle!"

":gonk: Daddddddddd...."

"You know son, your first date reminds me of a--"

"I think I understand why people murder other people now"

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I played this one but not any of the other Laytons, would it be a spoiler to ask why everyone thinks Hershel is a terrible father? The wiki on him is 3000+ words long.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Kegluneq posted:

Who would she be in on the con with? Roscoe trying to make it look like he was set up doesn't make much sense, there are much more subtle ways of killing someone (...I imagine) than shooting them in front of an audience. If it was Blaise, why would she go with Roscoe's plan to deflect blame from him?

Who would she be working with? All Roscoe needed to ask her to do was scream—nothing else. The rest was Roscoe trying desperately to avoid facing the music.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

tomanton posted:

I played this one but not any of the other Laytons, would it be a spoiler to ask why everyone thinks Hershel is a terrible father? The wiki on him is 3000+ words long.

because hershel gets reminded of puzzles by the strangest things and will not let the game go on until the puzzle is solved

also because his son is a lunatic and well that's one idea as to how that happened

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Aerdan posted:

Who would she be working with? All Roscoe needed to ask her to do was scream—nothing else. The rest was Roscoe trying desperately to avoid facing the music.

"Please scream now for reasons. Also a person will turn out to have died and I'm acting suspiciously but you probably shouldn't mention that later."

To be fair she could just have a crush on him?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

alcharagia posted:

because hershel gets reminded of puzzles by the strangest things and will not let the game go on until the puzzle is solved

also because his son is a lunatic and well that's one idea as to how that happened

Well, actually, any time something "reminds him of a puzzle" it's usually a hint that it's an optional thing and you can just exit the puzzle and not do it. There are very few plot puzzles that need to be done. On the other hand, hanging out with Professor Layton still means everything reminds him or his motley crew of a puzzle...

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Cheez posted:

Well, actually, any time something "reminds him of a puzzle" it's usually a hint that it's an optional thing and you can just exit the puzzle and not do it. There are very few plot puzzles that need to be done. On the other hand, hanging out with Professor Layton still means everything reminds him or his motley crew of a puzzle...

On the other hand, weren't there things gated behind the total number of puzzles solved?

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012

AweStriker posted:

On the other hand, weren't there things gated behind the total number of puzzles solved?

There are gate points where you need to have solved a certain number of puzzles to pass, but the number of required puzzles is always lower than the number of puzzles available to you by that point. That is, if I'm remembering correctly.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Eldataluta posted:

There are gate points where you need to have solved a certain number of puzzles to pass, but the number of required puzzles is always lower than the number of puzzles available to you by that point. That is, if I'm remembering correctly.
Yeah, there are a few hundred or so puzzles in every game but I think you only need about half of them by the end of the game. It's been a while but there's a decent sized pool of puzzles that don't need solving.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Though in more serious talk, he essentially gains custody of Flora - a girl with issues about being left alone. In the second game (Pandora/Diabolical Box depending on localization) he first attempted to leave her home alone, only for her to secretly follow him because she is scared of being alone.

And then when it turned out at some point she gets replaced with a master of disguise. Layton's and Luke's reactions were pretty much "eh, she'll be fine - she'll be playing with the farm animals at (last town before the meat of the plot)" and continued on without a care.

EDIT: Underused, and the way she gets brushed to the side ends up making Layton look like an incredible rear end in a top hat.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 25, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Flora was very underused. :argh:

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
My Lack of Layton understanding aside, is it odd that most of us suspected Destiny pretty much immediately?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, three missions in and they're already playing with the UI conventions. Well done, game.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Robindaybird posted:

Though in more serious talk, he essentially gains custody of Flora - a girl with issues about being left alone. In the second game (Pandora/Diabolical Box depending on localization) he first attempted to leave her home alone, only for her to secretly follow him because she is scared of being alone.

And then when it turned out at some point she gets replaced with a master of disguise. Layton's and Luke's reactions were pretty much "eh, she'll be fine - she'll be playing with the farm animals at (last town before the meat of the plot)" and continued on without a care.

EDIT: Underused, and the way she gets brushed to the side ends up making Layton look like an incredible rear end in a top hat.

Level5.txt, they get something cool then they kill it.

Also, I love how this game pulls you right in. It's never going to get a second game though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Trollhawke posted:

My Lack of Layton understanding aside, is it odd that most of us suspected Destiny pretty much immediately?

Nah, it's fiction. "When hooves, don't think zebras" does not work here, because hooves could be a crocodile and an hippopotamus stepdancing.

• Locked thread