Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Considering there are three suspects and it's rarely ever the one that is suspected by everyone else, choices are split.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

It were Gloria Blaise! She were the mastermind behind the whole thing!

You've really lost the plot now, precious. Gloria's the victim of this terrible crime, not the perpetrator.

Thank goodness! You're back, Prof!

Sorry if I alarmed you.

Yes, the remote control we found discarded in the rubbish bin.

I believe Ms Blaise threw it away on purpose.

What a ludicrous suggestion! Why on earth would she do such a thing?

Because Ms Blaise planned all of this right from the start. She was responsible for switching the guns. She knew she was going to be shot dead that day.

That's...just...

I, I don't understand...

Yes, what was going through Ms Blaise's mind to make her take such extreme measures?

What message?

The message that Ms Blaise wrote to you and left for you to find.

Lucy, would you care to explain?

That's what Ms Blaise wrote. And she meant the message for you.

Not...the affair? But..she wouldn't have killed herself..like this...because of a silly affair?

Yes, what happened to selling the story to gossip magazines?

You'd have to be out of your mind...

I think it's fair to say Ms Blaise was not of sound mind.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I kind of feel that Alfendi went too far there. Strapping is obviously not overburdened by morals, but it really seemed like he genuinely felt regret when he realised why Blaise set up her suicide.

Sorry for the short update, this is the end of the Confrontation phase. There'll be another update on Thursday to make up for it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
To be fair, someone needed to hammer home the point that Strapping's been a total douche this whole time.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yeah, his immediate instinct upon realizing that he had accidentally shot someone for real was not, "Oh my God what a horrible accident get an ambulance here now!" but "Quick! How can I ensure that I won't be blamed for this?".

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yes, he's totally selfish, but that's not a crime, and he's not a murderer. His crimes are betraying his fiance, (which is certainly a moral infraction but probably not a legal one in Steampunk-Fantasy-Modern-Victorian-London), and obstructing a criminal investigation (which any good lawyer will get him either acquitted or extreme leniency for considering that it wasn't premeditated).

Edit: OK I take it back, I forgot he did try to get Clegg convicted even knowing Clegg was innocent. That's pretty bad.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Yes, he's totally selfish, but that's not a crime, and he's not a murderer. His crimes are betraying his fiance, (which is certainly a moral infraction but probably not a legal one in Steampunk-Fantasy-Modern-Victorian-London), and obstructing a criminal investigation (which any good lawyer will get him either acquitted or extreme leniency for considering that it wasn't premeditated).

Edit: OK I take it back, I forgot he did try to get Clegg convicted even knowing Clegg was innocent. That's pretty bad.

His actions were pretty dumb.

He also clocked Clegg with a gun which is probably battery.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Mzbundifund posted:

Yes, he's totally selfish, but that's not a crime, and he's not a murderer. His crimes are betraying his fiance...and obstructing a criminal investigation....

He's definitely guilty of manslaughter, most likely voluntary manslaughter since he consciously took actions that resulted in her death. And as this is (some expy of) London, I'd think use of an illegally-owned (presumably) firearm would aggravate that charge.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Aerdan posted:

He's definitely guilty of manslaughter, most likely voluntary manslaughter since he consciously took actions that resulted in her death. And as this is (some expy of) London, I'd think use of an illegally-owned (presumably) firearm would aggravate that charge.

Its hard to say if he actually intended to shoot her though; and the deliberate plan to make the fake gun completely identical to the real one makes it doubtful. I suppose there's some sort of argument that one should be able to tell a real gun and we don't get much detail on the guns but if we stay consistent with the provided information (that the guns were made to be alike) its hard to say that he should be able to figure out its different until seeing the results. I don't know enough about firing blanks vs normal bullets to say if it would feel or look different too.

I side towards the position that he did not know until he shot her. That would preclude voluntary manslaughter, and usually most systems only consider involuntary manslaughter in the cases of criminal negligence. A reasonable person would not expect this kind of thing to happen, so its hard to really pin it on 'not checking if the bullets were real'

Really it probably falls into some sort of elaborate suicide or death by misadventure because Blaise willingly engineered a situation where she was likely to die.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Aerdan posted:

I'm assuming that our heroes are correct when they say he didn't know it was a real gun until after he fired it. It's not constructive manslaughter because he wasn't currently engaged in any unlawful behavior, and it would be awfully hard to pin a charge of criminal negligence manslaughter on him for not knowing that the gun was real, especially since we're in Fiction Land where real guns and fake guns are completely indistinguishable until you try to fire them.

If we're wrong and he DID know, then nothing I said applies.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

he DID claim he realized the gun was real when he fired it, and it could be reasonable that the fake gun would have the same weight as a real gun.

If what he says is true, then it's unintended manslaughter at worst, but with extra charges of 'Conspiracy to interfere with police investigation' and 'Tampering with evidence'

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw, Alfiendi doesn't have a different portrait in the cut-ins? I suppose this deduction is bringing him back to normal.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Glazius posted:

Aw, Alfiendi doesn't have a different portrait in the cut-ins? I suppose this deduction is bringing him back to normal.

No, he doesn't. I thought that was a little strange as well.

Oh, hello Detective Lawson. Have you got some new info for us?

Yes, I have. The lads found a typewriter in Blaise's room identical to the one used to type the note you found?

And they've proven it was Blaise who ordered the gun, too.

That's the proof we needed.

Lovely job!

Who'd have guessed the victim was the mastermind behind the whole thing? I'm amazed you figured it out.

Hee hee.

There's no mention of if Strapping and/or Knox were charged.

Eh? What d'you mean? The Prof and me of course. Who else?

That's what I'm asking you.

I don't follow.

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but I'm going to have to leave.

Oh? It's not like you to head off so early, Prof. Everything alright?

Yes, perfectly. There's just a programme I'd like to see on the television. So, I'll see you tomorrow.

Okey-dokey. See you later.

Bye, Al. Nice work.

Alfendi leaves.

Excitement? What do you mean?

I'll tell you what I mean!

When he starts getting on a roll with his questions and that, he changes. It's ever so sudden when it happens.

Hmm, I see. And how does he change exactly?

Like you wouldn't believe!

I see. Anything other than his hair that changes about him?

Oh, aye. It's his whole personality. That's the worst bit about it. It's the way he says stuff I suppose.

Yet Lucy looks rather happy about it.

Mardy basically means moody.

I mean, do you know what he said to me and the fellow that were here before when we were arguing?

No, what?

He said we were yapping like dogs, and he'd have to cut out our tongues!

And he were being serious!

Heh heh. You can't blame the man for having a sense of humour.

It weren't funny! He's so intense, I'm telling you. It's dead frightening.

Hmm, it must be very difficult.

Well, try not to lose your patience.

Oh, I'm trying. Hard.

By the way, Al doesn't ever come out with any unfamiliar names when he's like that, does he?

Eh?

You know, he doesn't start talking about people or places that have nothing to do with the case?

Hmm...No, I can't say that he does.

I'll tell you something he did say though. He said death were inspired and beautiful!

Really?

Why are you so interested, anyway?

Oh, no reason, really. It's just...

On the quiet?

Yes, it'd be better for Al that way.

How come?

It just would. Trust me.

Well, okay, if you say so.

Hints:

There's no two ways about it. Strapping's a very popular bloke.

But he's always in the tabloids and the gossip mags with some scandal or other.

You read those magazines and things, don't you, Lucy?

I have a feeling we're going to be plagued by all sorts of rumours and heresay.

Oh, aye, that we will!

She's that comely, I don't know why she had to stoop so low just to get a part.

That's just gossip, Lucy. You don't know if there's any truth in it.

Oh no, Prof! The theatre's full of intrigue and all stuff like that behind the scenes. I bet it's true.

You're quite the aficionado, I see Lucy.

There's more to Clegg than meets the eye.

Ooh, aye! The feelings he had for Blaise.

Keeping them to himself all them years as they slowly turned from love to hate.

And in the end...this happens!

Er, no. That's not really what I meant.

He made the replica gun and the fake blood himself, you know. I was admiring his handiwork.

Was that an actual compliment for Clegg?

Oh, aye, that's grand. But doesn't his love for a lass way out of his league get you thinking more, eh?

It could do, I suppose.

It should do!

I can see how a real fan could be that besotted they'd rather kill their idol than have her stolen away.

Why, are you an admirer of someone yourself, Lucy?

No!

I'm just thinking it's a shame it were Ms Blaise that got shot and t'other way round...

The fact they collided just moments before the shooting makes me suspicious.

But what could have come from them just bumping into one another?

Well, it's the classic maneuver of the pickpocket, isn't it? The fleeting moment when your wallet is swiped.

You don't have to worry about pickpocketing on stage, Prof!

A secret communication, then. A little bump would afford just enough time to convey some kind of message.

A woman shot and a man struck from behind, all in a matter of minutes.

And in the pitch black, too.

Ee, sounds like we're dealing with one of them ninjas, Prof.

Hmm, an interesting theory. Unlikely, but not impossible.

Don't be daft! I weren't serious!

The attacker moved from one victim to the next with pinpoint accuracy under cover of darkness.

That's no mean feat. Certainly beyond the skills of the average person.

So...it really were a ninja then?

It would all make more sense if the perpetrator had only committed one of these acts of violence. But both...?

Seeing a ladder like this makes me want to get climbing.

Hm, makes me thankful I joined the police and not the fire brigade.

Still, it doesn't appear to have any bearing on our case.

If the bullet passed right through her body over there, and hit the wall here, then...

...by extrapolation, we can derive the line on which the shooter must have been standing.

Hey, you took the words right out of my mouth!

Knox were stood here, right in front of the door leading off stage.

Yes. This is where Strapping bumped into her and knocked her over.

Heh heh. Even an old pro like Strapping stuffs up once in a while, eh?

I wonder.

Perhaps Strapping intentionally collided with Knox, do you think?

The pattern of this blood, it's...

Is there something odd about it, Prof?

It's almost as if the fake and the real blood spilled at the same time. But perhaps I'm wrong.

I wouldn't expect to see a rubbish bin on a theatre set, would you?

It's a big set. There's bound to be a fair amount of rubbish generated.

Maybe someone's thrown summat away that could give us a clue, eh?

If you think there could be something relevant in there, you'd better go and have a closer look.

Urgh, I don't know about that. There could be all sorts of manky stuff in there.

Eh-up. I'm sure I've seen a gun just like this somewhere else round here.

Yes, me too. I think it was in the box of props next to the door that leads on to the stage.

Aye, that's it.

The replica and this here gun are peas in a pod, they are! You can hardly tell them apart.

Yes, they're of a very similar weight as well.

In fact, I should think about the only way to tell them apart would be the difference in recoil.

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 28, 2015

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
"Oh no it's just his weird sense of humor! By the way if he starts admitting to people he's killed, tell me secretly, mmk? But don't worry! He's such a joker!"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Drakenel posted:

"Oh no it's just his weird sense of humor! By the way if he starts admitting to people I've killed, tell me secretly, mmk? But don't worry! He's such a joker!"

I don't know why, but the whole exchange felt like the above edit to me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

HydroSphere posted:

The pattern of this blood, it's...

Is there something odd about it, Prof?

It's almost as if the fake and the real blood spilled at the same time. But perhaps I'm wrong.

Oh, gently caress you, game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Drakenel posted:

"Oh no it's just his weird sense of humor! By the way if he starts admitting to people he's killed, tell me secretly, mmk? But don't worry! He's such a joker!"

Omobono posted:

I don't know why, but the whole exchange felt like the above edit to me.

This sounds like something that could conceivably be this game's last case.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh, gently caress you, game.

That's what you get for using a hint on that clue, right? I'd say it's a pretty good hint, myself!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Glazius posted:

That's what you get for using a hint on that clue, right? I'd say it's a pretty good hint, myself!

It's a hint that directly contradicts the visual evidence provided by the clue. Sort of like how "bumping into" someone becomes "enough time to convince them to imitate someone else's scream for no reason". It feels like the writers start each scenario with one or two interesting/classic mystery twist ideas, then fail to finish the execution to make the information provided coherent with the solution.

The game just generally feels like they ran out of time or money partway through so the scenarios aren't fully developed.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Discendo Vox posted:

It's a hint that directly contradicts the visual evidence provided by the clue. Sort of like how "bumping into" someone becomes "enough time to convince them to imitate someone else's scream for no reason". It feels like the writers start each scenario with one or two interesting/classic mystery twist ideas, then fail to finish the execution to make the information provided coherent with the solution.

The game just generally feels like they ran out of time or money partway through so the scenarios aren't fully developed.

Didn't he pass her a note when he bumped into her? I recall that being mentioned as what happened.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This sounds like something that could conceivably be this game's last case.

"This reminds me of a puzzle! Where has my son hidden the bodies?"

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

I like that Lucy's response to all this is "If he doesn't cut that creepy poo poo out, I'm gonna beat him up!"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Didn't he pass her a note when he bumped into her? I recall that being mentioned as what happened.

No- I think the game may have said he "gave her a message", but it would have to be oral- if he had written out a plan for her beforehand, then he would have had to do it while onstage in the period of time between firing and walking offstage and bumping into her.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Just a heads up but there's 2 pictures of Clegg statement 1 - I think the second one is taking the place of the Stage Position B picture.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Thanks! :) I've fixed it now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

VibrantPareidolia posted:

I like that Lucy's response to all this is "If he doesn't cut that creepy poo poo out, I'm gonna beat him up!"
Just look into those psychotic, bloodshot eyes. Lucy is easily the scariest character.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Discendo Vox posted:

It's a hint that directly contradicts the visual evidence provided by the clue.
Wait, what? The two pools of blood are in the same place, so it's clear they happened simultaneously. I don't get what's wrong with that hint.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kegluneq posted:

Wait, what? The two pools of blood are in the same place, so it's clear they happened simultaneously. I don't get what's wrong with that hint.

One is entirely inside the other. They're presented as if their relative shades and separation is important.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Discendo Vox posted:

One is entirely inside the other. They're presented as if their relative shades and separation is important.
Well, yeah. Those indicate that the pool is made of two types of blood.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Hello, Dustin. Is it that time already?

Nah, I ain't come to do the cleanin' just yet. I got a funny story you might be int'rested in, that's all.

Dustin Scowers name seems to be a pun on Dust and Scourer, but Scowers also sounds like Scouser (assuming my pronunciation is correct), which is a term for someone from Liverpool.

Oh? What's that then?

Don't be daft, Dustin!

You reckon? Well, me big bruv's seen one wiv 'is own eyes! And wot's more, it was possessed. Bein' controlled by a demon.

Hm, intriguing indeed, Dustin. Tell us more.

Aye, you've got me hooked on this tale now! Come on, let's hear it!

Heh heh. Thought ya might say that. I got the whole thing written down 'ere in this file. I've no doubt you two'll figure out wot's wot wiv it.

Good to 'ear. And if ya can 'elp me bruv out while yer at it, that'd be diamond.

Your brother, Dustin? How's he involved?

Hm, I see.

Dustin did a good job of talking us into this one, didn't he?

What do you mean?

Let me explain the case a bit. A small group of archaeologists were carrying out a dig at an ancient site in the South American jungle.

Scotland Yard has got a pretty wide area of jurisdiction.

Murder, is it?

Well, this is what we know.

Ee, what a creepy little chap.

Back at their hotel, the team asked the proprietor if he had a safe place where they could store their finds.

Oh aye. Cliff-tops provide natural defences don't they? I remember that from second year geography.

On the subject of when this game takes place; in England, you attend first school from the age of 5 to 8, starting in year one, and leaving at the end of year three. Children then go to junior schools from the age of 8 to 11, starting in year four, and leaving at the end of year six. Alternatively, children may attend a primary school, which covers years one to six. Children are sorted into classes, and these classes are taught by a single teacher who covers all subjects.

After finishing year six, children then start year seven at the age of 11 in secondary school, until finishing year eleven at the age of 16, which is when mandatory schooling ends. In secondary schools, children are taught by a different teacher in each subject.

However, from around 1970 to 1990, the years weren't consecutive and sometimes called forms in secondary school; children started in first form/year, and left after finishing fifth form/year. If this isn't a localisation error (or I simply shouldn't be trying to apply reality to a Layton game), unless Lucy is talking about a lesson she had at the age of 7, that would place this game at some point between the 1980's to the late 1990's. Pre-1970, year eight would have been called lower fourth form.

That evening, a local who'd been helping out on the dig presented the team with some home-made liquor.

It was the middle of the night that things started to go wrong. The phone rang the front desk of the hotel with a call from the hut.

: Apparently, it's a special lock that has only one key, which is impossible to duplicate.

Ee, he must be a burly fellow, then.

Yes. But the scene that confronted him inside the hut would have made even the toughest of men wince.

Wh-what were in there, Prof?

Nasty.

An even more unbelievable turn of events followed.

Give over!

There were two witnesses, despite the apparent impossibility of the incident.

Dustin lied. He said Doug saw everything. :mad:

Ee, I've got chills running down my spine now.

The ensuring investigation revealed another interesting fact.

Apparently it was possessed by a demon.

Come on, Prof, you don't really believe it were the work of a demon, do you?

That's what was rumoured to be the case among the locals in the area.

Don't you think maybe we should leave well alone in this case, Prof?

We can't. The local police are detaining one of the archaeologists who was asleep outside the hut.

There you go, you see? It were no demon, it were a human. I knew it!

Well, that archaeologist...

Eh? What, our Dustin? Who dropped off all them papers before?

Music stops.

Yes, our Dustin. The cleaner.

It looks like the only way to help his brother is to identify the true culprit.

In that case, let's get stuck in!

My thoughts exactly. So, let's consider the possibilities.

There are four suspects.

On the night of the murder, he and O'Logie were drinking together, alone. Unfortunately, they got drunk, and now Scowers can't remember what happened.

If he weren't Dustin's brother, I'd be a more than a little suspicious of that.

Well, Lucy, he's still a suspect. We can't rule out the possibility that he's guilty.

Oh, aye. He's the fellow that recommended they use the hut in the first place, eh?

He was working with the team as their guide. He's also the person who gave the liquor to O'Logie and Scowers.

Hm, that's a bit fishy...

She's the one who heard O'Logie's dying screams over the phone.

The lass doesn't look much like a murderer, I must say.

And that's all our suspects.

There are a number of very peculiar things about this case. But the biggest mystery is how the murder took place.

Aye, 'cause when Sasucasa got to the hut, the door were still locked shut from the inside, weren't it?

Yes. And the only window in the hut is barred, making it impossible for anyone to get in or out that way.

So where did the killer disappear to then?

Where indeed? Those are all of the details we have so far.

With so little information to go on, I'm sure you'll find it hard to guess who the culprit is.

But still, what's your gut feeling, Lucy?

Always start with your gut feeling, eh, Prof?

Absolutely.

What we need to do is trace the killer's actions in the hut step by step.

If we do that correctly, it will lead us to the identity of the guilty party.

Right, let's see what we can deduce.

Do you think you'll be able to look around enough in five minutes?

Aye, no trouble, Prof!

The crime scene:

Outside the hut:

The window:

The suitcase:

The table:

The signs leaned up against the wall:

The crates:

The door:

The body:

The beams:

Statements:

Doug Scowers

Statement 1:

Chico brought us some liquor. It was great stuff. We called up to the hotel for glasses and Mariana brought them to us.

Statement 2:

I drank too much that night and fell asleep. I only stirred when the copper woke me. I have no recollection of why I was outside the hut at all.

Micah Sasucasa

Statement 1:

Mariana called me after 11pm, and we went to the hut together. The door was locked, I know I'm right about this because Mariana tried it too.

Statement 2:

I looked around the hut, but there was nobody inside except for Dr O'Logie. It was dark, but there's nowhere to hide in there. I'm certain it was empty.

Chico Careta

Statement 1:

There are 'diablos' at the site. The stone statue is one of them. I tried to stop Senor O'Logie from taking it. Now the diablo has killed him.

Statement 2:

I gave Senor O'Logie some of my people's liquor. That is the last time I was in the hut. I went straight home to bed. Night is when the diablos come.

Mariana Etista

Statement 1:

At around 11pm, Dr O'Logie called on the intercom, frantically screaming for help. 'It's the demon!' he said.

Statement 2:

I was too scared to go alone, so I called Mr Sasucasa to come to the hut with me. The door was locked, Mr Scowers was asleep outside.

Statement 3:

I saw it as well. The dead body got up and lunged towards us. It knocked over the bottle on the table, so I know it was not an illusion.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The method of murder is going to be really stupid and convoluted, isn't it?

Also calling it now, the axe was a trap set up in some stupid way using the nick in the beams for ropes.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Chicoooo!

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
I'd guess the corpse was moved via the thin wire, rather than being part of the method of murder.
Entry into the cabin was probably done by unscrewing the hinges from the door.
The intercom has poor sound quality, so it might have masked the true indentity of the caller.
Three of the crates were opened, but since the documents on the table mentioned which crate contained the statue, this might mean that Chico or Doug might not be the killer, since they have handled the documents, and thus would not have to check which crate contained the statue.

Since the picture implies that Mariana answered the intercom, I'd guess that Micah Sasucasa is the killer.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Demons are real, Lucy. Alfendi is one.

Uhh, I'm going to guess either another suicide using the axe trick mentioned by Drakenel, or Mr Hotel Manager did it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A grad student is basically a professor's butler, so I'm gonna say Doug.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Actually, Matteus' explanation makes more sense, I'm a throw my hat in with that and say Micah

I imagine they're going to try and use the door hinges and screws to frame doug a bit, but forget that most doors can be soft locked before closing them, assuming it doesn't use only a deadbolt. (which would make it a bit harder to break down) Lock the door from the inside, put the key in the body, walk out, then close it. Wave hands and go 'noboooody could geeet iiiin'

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think Mariana is the killer. Who needs to fake a call to the front desk when you can just lie about it and sound the alarm once you have the props set up?

Also, to get meta, her name is "marionettist."

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Bruceski posted:

I think Mariana is the killer. Who needs to fake a call to the front desk when you can just lie about it and sound the alarm once you have the props set up?

Also, to get meta, her name is "marionettist."
It seems pretty obvious that that's how the body appeared to walk, using the fishing line looped over the rafters, so that's as good a theory as anything.

Meanwhile, the hotel owner is Makes Excuses. Doug is Dug Scowers but I've no idea what the surname is meant to refer to, unless it is just 'scours'. It doesn't really sound anything like 'Scouser' and Dustin is clearly a Londoner anyway.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's too late for her. She's been Layton-ized. :ohdear:

Anyway, I'd say Chico seems to be the most suspicious since everyone else stated they were outside, while he seems to be the only one confirmed in the room aside from Doug, who was moved outside apparently after the murder.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

They're doing the fishing line closed room bit, from the looks of it. line running outside, possibly via the hook, and pulling on the beam, probably to either set up the axe trap as Drakenel or to puppet the body forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Kegluneq posted:

Meanwhile, the hotel owner is Makes Excuses.

Not quite! Look more closely. Micah Sasucasa... Micah-sa, sucasa. Mi casa (es) su casa, or in loose translation, "my house is your house". He very kindly lended the dig team his shack.

As to the crime itself... it's pretty clear that the "walking corpse" part was the O'Logie's body being strung up on wires, and flung towards the group when they entered. But as to the culprit, I'm really not certain. I'll probably revise once we've learned some more about the case, but my gut feeling says Chico Careta, on account of having looked through the papers in the shack, perhaps when bringing the alcohol to O'Logie and Scowers.

• Locked thread