Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

nooneofconsequence posted:

Is Ziggo coming back?
It was a lightweight, so no. There's only a 250 lb. class in this iteration of Battlebots. Some years ago, there was a bot called Megabyte that was like a heavyweight Ziggo, it was p. awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ngygH4ii8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, I think the fix was in on that first fight somewhat. Plan X has a better story going forward and variability through different equipment loadouts, and just looks like a cooler bot. It did no real damage to lovely walker bot, but that bot would take out huge chunks of it any time it got the chance to. I guess you could get points for control, but I think controlling a crappy walker and getting it to flip back over is more impressive than moving around Plan X with what has to be a dozen wheels or so. It really needs to switch out that hammer for a sawblade of its own, and give the minibots literally any weapon because they seemed useless in the first fight. I'm sure explosives of any kind are banned, with good reason, but they seem like perfect suicide bombers.

On the other hand, the only real damage the walker did was when Plan X was stuck and helpless, so it's hard to call it a superior design. Basically, show me the judge's scorecards, or I'll never take this seriously as a sport :colbert:.
It's much like the old Battlebots: some bots are there for show and others are there to win. It ended up being a good mix. And I imagine some of the more unique bots have potential marketing opportunities if the robot battling concept takes off again.

quote:

Well c'mon now, we want to have some question as to who the winner is. If you put a Grantbot in the ring it'll be over real quick. You'd have a prime Muhammad Ali fighting Glass Joe from Punch Out every other week.
Deadblow never won anything, though.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

KyloWinter posted:

I don't think anything beating tombstone.
Sadly, I'd rather put my money on any of the other wedgebots like Bite Force, Overdrive, Stinger, etc. Bronco would be my dark horse, but something hilariously minute always tends to kill an Inertia Labs bot at these tournaments.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
So would I, but I bet they were lame anyway.

Actually, about half the battles on the original series were really boring push fights, so I'd have to imagine that the ones that didn't make it to TV were a special kind of awful.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Gonz posted:

Tombstone is basically unstoppable.

The only way to kill it is with plastic expolsives.

EDIT: Oh wait, poo poo. Just saw that UFO bot video.
Well, it's helpful that 1) there are no full-body spinners for the rest of the competition, 2) that Tombstone was a 340 lb. version from about ten years ago so I'm sure this new 250 lb. version has better components now as well as the guy being a better driver over that period of time.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Blue Canary posted:

Vertical spinners tend to try and tip when turning. Good example is this match, watch the drum spinner try and turn quickly, it goes onto one side. I think Nightmare showed this a bit in its match aswell.
I hope this show becomes popular enough for another, fuller season and I hope this Brazilian drumbot team gets invited. I think a 250 lb. version of that drumbot could gently caress up someone like Tombstone.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

raditts posted:

When I heard they were bringing this show back I was really hoping they would force them to be more creative than A Goddamn Wedge vs. Another Goddamn Wedge this time.
With the Battlebots ruleset, design philosophies calcified years ago. So the advancements are mainly improved armor and internal components, so the bots can fight longer.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
There were some really good 'my dog died' faces tonight.

Dexo posted:

once a robot is flipped and not able to move why the gently caress would Stinger continue to attack Warhead.
Warhead can technically self-right, plus there are points to be scored for aggression. But mostly, it's for a better show for the audience and to fan the flames for another season & a bigger event.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Fish Of Doom posted:

Little girl's dad should have brought a decent robot like he made 15 years ago. Minion, Overkill, Knee Breaker, and Toe Crusher were all great. I was a bit underwhelmed with Overdrive.
Overkill was a real spinner killer back then, and it was because of those huge gently caress-off chrome wheels that stopped them cold.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

LeJackal posted:

Now vertical spinners, either they have to be huge and tall which makes flipping a nightmare, or smaller and almost drumlike. The big ones are good KE weapons, but so unwieldy. The smaller drum type like WD has can be effective, but only as a flipper - and to get that to work you have to elevate the other bot up to your drum/disc. You can make it lower, sure, but that means your drum has to be lower and/or smaller, and so needs to spin faster increasing your power/gearing requirements, etc. Drum spinners just don't seem to be worth it.

The Whole Internet posted:

drums are pretty good weapons actually. their matchups tend to be a mix of what spinners and flippers matchups are like. i don't know of any vertical spinners that have won a title in a heavy weightclass though... pretty much ever

in lighter weightclasses like feathers and antweights, vertical discs become really good though
Touro Maximus (and its smaller siblings) are probably the best drumbots in the world, and it took this year's Robogames HW title over the defending champion & best driver in robot combat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0dHUahUDRM

Bonus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baP6W0mZWTo

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Seiyal posted:

Time to place your bets: who's taking home the trophy?
Bite Force

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Didn't know Bite Force's creator also made Brutality, a Hazard clone/Icewave minus the Ice. Actually won a 2009 Battlebots tournament, but also had many of the same weaknesses of those inverted lawnmower bots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3mtJneUUzY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOHjh3hwClw

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Judging by those last couple of minutes, Minotaur looks to be getting the treatment Tombstone got last season. Will it also lose to Bite Force in this competition? :v:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

GuavaMoment posted:

I kind of remember some spinner breaking free from its robot and spinning on its own unpowered for a couple of minutes during a pause in a match. I thought it was MOE in season 4 but can't find any video or record of it. Because the hit that broke the spinner free also stuck the two robots together, there weren't any bots in the box to nudge the now spinning top of doom, so everyone had to stare at it for a few minutes before it stopped.
You might be thinking of Surgeon General vs. Killerhurtz, but I don't remember them being stuck together.

keevo posted:

Yessss. I'm so stoked about Battlebots coming back. I decided to look at the sub-Reddit and holy poo poo one of those bots that are competing scares the poo poo outta me. There's a video of it testing itself in the arena and gently caress me that thing is fast. I'll just leave it as a link if you want to remain completely spoiler free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm5r0OG0fvo
According to that sub-reddit, that bot couldn't compete because it was deemed unsafe.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Yeah, but that looks like a performance that will secure a wildcard for Lucky.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I was shocked when Lucky and Disk O' Inferno shrugged off repeated hammer strikes from Beta and Chomp, respectively. Seems like armor is still outpacing 'thwack' weaponry.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

halokiller posted:

And drat that weapon the Boys from Brazil had. First time I ever seen an effective drum spinner in this weight class.
This might be the year of drum spinners, Minotaur and Hypershock looked like beasts out there. Poison Arrow sounds drat scary, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE5sLHfq6jM

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
That srimech seems too slow for it to be effective during combat, especially against a bot like Stinger.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
If there's another season, they should really modify that. I know Battlebots & ABC doesn't want shoving matches between metal boxes, but there comes a point where judges' decisions that don't pass the eye test will affect viewership more negatively.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

halokiller posted:

Looks like they're slowly uploading the other matches, here's SawBlaze vs Razorback
Wow, that might have been a worse judges' decision than Chomp/Disko, but SawBlaze's primary weapon looked like poo poo, and the wedge driving didn't exploit the hazards enough, I guess.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Yeah, that result does not pass the eye test when it looks like Razorback was on the back foot for the bulk of the match. But based on this new scoring, if SawBlaze had used the wedge to pin Razorback by the pulverizers and get a few good hits in, it could've won the split decision?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If SawBlaze had pinned Razorback and then used its saw it would have likely won. The lack of actual primary weapon attacks was the issue.
If SawBlaze comes back next year, they're almost assuredly ditching the articulated arm + saw and will instead install a drum/vertical spinner behind the dustpan.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MikeNCR posted:

On the plus side, pushing it back a week speaks more for their confidence in the show than just shoving it to a random open slot later that night/Friday.
I'm really only disappointed because I was curious how those millions of views of Blacksmith vs Minotaur would've translated to Nielsen ratings.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Great Beer posted:

Ringmaster could probably get away with a symmetrical design without any issues so its probably a stylistic choice.
On a related note, this time lapse of Ringmaster's chassis being milled is really soothing to watch:

https://vimeo.com/160687959

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Great Beer posted:

They've been posting the unaired fights on the battlebots Facebook page. Most of them are weapons breaking resulting in a shoving match between broken robots.
Yeah, Lockjaw/Brutus and Bite Force/Ringmaster looked like snorers.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Really, Stinger didn't do poo poo for the entire match. Mega Tento won the match on damage and having a weapon that did something.
*tries to lift Mega Tento*
*flips itself over*

Really, using the forks was a tactical error, I think Stinger needed to bring the wedge out.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fourth match was the worst and I really don't understand the show's love of Chomp. It's well built and capable of taking punishment, but it's incredibly top heavy and likely won't survive against something like Tombstone.
I think Chomp could pull off the upset against Bite Force. There's a lot of surface area on Bite Force for Chomp's beak to attack, it looks well-armored against that vertical spinning bar, and BF's weapon motor could hilariously break again.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think the reason Bite Force's weapon broke is because Ringmaster was a ridiculously dense, solid bot. It's very low to the ground, has a solid magnesium frame, and there wasn't much of anything to yield. Hitting Ringmaster is like hitting a solid block of metal. In contrast Chomp is far larger with more empty internal space. Bite Force is also extremely well armored.
I think Bite Force will primarily be looking to snap off Chomp's axe or attack it's underbelly when it inevitably tips over. I also don't expect Chomp's beak to penetrate BF's armor, but I still think that enough thwacks with enough force can jar BF's internals.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Gromit posted:

I'm not a professor of Battling Robots, so I have to ask why Nightmare is a fan favourite. Is it because it is an absolute piece of poo poo that looks like it should be disabled within 30 seconds but manages to fight on regardless? Did it do some amazing work years ago back when most other bots were useless or something?
Nightmare vs Slamjob

I also think there's residual nostalgia for Backlash tearing up the lightweight division in the early Battlebots seasons.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Gromit posted:

It must have been a different time back then because I was hoping for some real damage. The video I saw searching for those terms was pretty much a just a flip against a rubbish bot with no way to self-right.And I went and looked at other Nightmare videos, thinking maybe it destroyed earlier bots, but no - it gets torn up by everyone. Is this an underdog thing?

e: Okay, it's just nostalgia for a long-time player. Fair enough.
It's probably Nightmare's most famous victory, in that all of the other Comedy Central clips of Nightmare were of its spectacular defeat. That OHKO was the poo poo 15 years ago, which I guess goes to show how combat robotics have progressed in the intervening time.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Coaaab posted:

I think Chomp could pull off the upset against Bite Force. There's a lot of surface area on Bite Force for Chomp's beak to attack, it looks well-armored against that vertical spinning bar, and BF's weapon motor could hilariously break again.
Or I guess Chomp could one-shot Bite Force's exposed weapon drive. Good going, Chomp

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Beta won, tho :v:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Great Beer posted:

My broadcast has been delayed until 1:15 AM because Football which means I cant watch it until after work tomorrow at around 5 pm. I'm watching some lovely livestream that goes at about 5 FPS and its loving miserable.
:hfive: Hi buddy, man that was a real pain in the rear end, it actually made me want to vent by complaining to ABC about the preemption.

Anyway, congrats to Tombstone, all hail our lawnmower overlord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Robogames HW is 220 lbs, Battlebots is 250 lbs.

• Locked thread