Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I watched this mostly out of nostalgia and goofiness (I was like 8 when it was on Comedy Central and had to convince my parents to let me stay up past my bedtime to watch robots fight and Carmen Electra do Carmen Electra things), but this was actually really entertaining. It's just dumb how little of the show was actual fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Everything spoken on this show sounds scripted

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Did the original show have this many pro wrestling elements? I was 10 when it went off the air.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I guess since they only have six episodes they're rushing

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sighence posted:

I'm still cracking up writing this. Not even Tombstone's complete wrecking of... what was it even called? was anywhere near as entertaining.
COUNTER REVOLUTION, which had no introduction.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So I've been watching some of the original run on YouTube for the sake of comparison/boredom and to see what I didn't retain as an 8-10 year old, and wow, I wish it was still on Comedy Central. Bil Dwyer is having much more fun than either of the chump announcers in this new one, they had half-hour episodes with as much action as these hour-long ones, and in general they understood the silliness of it all better than NBC seems to. Also lots of jokes that went way over my head as a child--Donna D'Erico told a (15-year-old!) driver that his bot suffered "premature devastation." A shot of a tower in San Francisco leads to Dwyer saying "of course we're in San Francisco so there's a phallic-looking building."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Philip Rivers posted:

Okay so I'm over Battlebots, when do we get a giant piloted robot league?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVJTGLL2SnI

Only if everyone gets to be a cultural stereotype like in G-Gundam or whatever it was

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm not convinced that the announcers don't record their commentary until after the match. They sound extremely unnatural at all times.

Also funny seeing Sean Salisbury on the original one. I had no idea he did BattleBots before ESPN hired him. Speaking of which, this show should really be on ESPN2 (which falls under the same ownership).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Other thing I didn't realize until I watched old episodes today--Lisa Winter is the one who made the ladybug bot

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pakled posted:

And then they took out the saw and replaced it with, of all things, a hook. The internet tells me that there were indeed some battlebots defeated by a plastic ladybug with a hook underneath but I never saw it do anything other than lose on TV and I can't find any videos of hook-Tentoumushi winning a fight so I can only assume that everyone that lost to it had a mechanical failure unrelated to the battle because what the gently caress is a hook supposed to do

If you read the Battlebots wiki there are absurdly detailed descriptions of every match.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kill the furry nerds with the bad dyejobs

Also why do they even have the killsaws set up if they will literally never activate?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's just really striking since I've been watching old episodes and they were such a huge factor.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Witch Doctor's costumes make me vaguely uncomfortable.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I imagine that's how it looks when gods fight

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
FOH dweebs

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KyloWinter posted:

I've always liked the other raptors, and I honestly think the speed and agility of that bot is making it my favorite along with the underdog wins. I'm digging all the modular bots.
I didn't even put together that it was of the Alpha/Beta/Gamma Raptor lineage. Why is the logo a sabretooth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fish Of Doom posted:

Its builder used to be a goon back when the original show was on Comedy Central.
He posted earlier in this thread

• Locked thread