Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
During that whole pre-match segment I was just wondering how the hell Wrecks was supposed to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Robnoxious posted:

I think SJWbot got that round... but what was the point of those minibots? They did gently caress-all.

I think they're supposed to jam up opponents' spinny parts but they didn't seem to have very good control.

Warhead owns, bots with spinners seem to be the best.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Another bot with minibots. Interesting. I'm curious if those'll ever be effective. Were they allowed under the old rules?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Hot drat, I remember Nightmare. That one was brutal.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That minibot getting eliminated was pretty cool.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I liked that one shot at the end of one of Plan X's minibots impotently running into Plan X after it just got shredded to hell.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

NowonSA posted:

Eh, I have to figure Grant's got some sweet robot tech now though, having more experience now.

The team that made Razorback makes bomb disposal robots for the military. There are all sorts of skill levels represented in this competition.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 22, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

keevo posted:

Also according to some Reddit user, one of the changes in rules is that flight and non-tethered projectiles is allowed. I don't think any of these bots can fly but god drat this needs to have another season so we can have flying robot battles.

:woop: this is awesome. I want to see a flying bot utterly destroy a wedge/flipper bot.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

mashed_penguin posted:

I really enjoyed last nights show. It was impressive how much carnage they managed to get in all the matches. I don't remember old seasons having as many bits flying off ever.

Even the in between fight parts aren't too bad.

Also none of the designs look like simple wedge bots. I wonder if that was in the rules this year?

Yeah, one of the new rules in the reboot is there has to be some kind of powered weapon, they can't just be a wedge.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That flame looked like it could have been bad.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Oh boy, two spinner bots. :getin:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Heel bots.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Wait. This bot has a camera tracking system? What benefit does that have if it's manually controlled?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
:stare: Who won that one?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Rematch!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Complete Control doesn't seem to be controlling very well

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Goonbot loses.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Witch Doctor advancing is a bit odd to me.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

KyloWinter posted:

I don't think anything beating tombstone.

If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Tombstone.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Coaaab posted:

So would I, but I bet they were lame anyway.

Actually, about half the battles on the original series were really boring push fights, so I'd have to imagine that the ones that didn't make it to TV were a special kind of awful.

Of the fights they only showed quick highlights of, Radioactive vs Sweet Revenge looked really lovely. Sweet Revenge's spinner seemed too weak to affect Radioactive and Radioactive's axe looked hilariously impotent.

Radioactive is really sleek looking but that axe seems like a terrible weapon and it's gonna get its rear end handed to it when it faces any competent bot.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

mashed_penguin posted:

I'd put it out there that they only won because Nightmare is a massive :derp: machine that beats itself as badly as it beats other robots. Also the flaming minibot got one shotted by Nightmare.

I'm sad that Nightmare missed out on a wildcard.

I think Nightmare deserved a wildcard more than Warhead or Witch Doctor. :mad:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Could Tombstone's wheels be vulnerable to fire attacks?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

GaussianCopula posted:

It seems very beneficial to win a wildcard if you are a girl. The only team that got one and deserved it were probably the guys from MIT.

Oh and have a flamethrower, that helps too.

Warhead and Witch Doctor definitely seemed like iffy choices to me, but in addition to Overhaul I think Chomp was decent. :colbert:

I would have preferred Nightmare and Complete Control get in over Warhead and Witch Doctor, but hey.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Drop napalm from a quadcopter. That's legal, right?

The rules say the only allowed flame weapons are those fueled by propane or butane.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Whitenoise Poster posted:

What about sticking chunks of dry ice in or on your bot. This isn't for combat purposes I just think it would look cool to see a bot just constantly leaking fog.

They say that weapons that intentionally create smoke or fog are against the rules. This is presumably for the benefit of the cameras.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 2, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Aphrodite posted:

It had a saw underneath or something, but yeah it sucked.

And then they took out the saw and replaced it with, of all things, a hook. The internet tells me that there were indeed some battlebots defeated by a plastic ladybug with a hook underneath but I never saw it do anything other than lose on TV and I can't find any videos of hook-Tentoumushi winning a fight so I can only assume that everyone that lost to it had a mechanical failure unrelated to the battle because what the gently caress is a hook supposed to do

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Whoever goes up against ghost raptor in the next round is gonna have an easy time.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

raditts posted:

When I heard they were bringing this show back I was really hoping they would force them to be more creative than A Goddamn Wedge vs. Another Goddamn Wedge this time.

They changed the rules so every bot has to have some powered weapon, though it seems like half the time the weapon will fail and turn a bot into basically a wedge

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Plan X sucks and is gonna get wrecked.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That stupid brain got ground up in the screw.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There aren't any more fights this episode, are there?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Liar Lyre posted:

I'm surprised Radioactive didn't just explode in those clips against Tombstone. It looks like it's made of plastic.

Radioactive looks like a joke. Its gimpy axe looks like it does precisely gently caress-all and it doesn't even have a wedge to fall back on like almost all other bots that have lovely weapons.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Despite the general distaste for wedge/flipper bots, I can't help but like Stinger. It just seems like a well-designed flipper with an easy self-righting mechanism, something that far too few bots in this tournament seem to have, plus the driver seems really skilled, having a bum wheel in that last fight didn't seem to slow it down at all.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

IRQ posted:

No way, Bronco flipping Plan X on its rear end in like 5 seconds was hilarious. Also ironic because it only won its qualifying match because the circular saw thing it fought flipped itself over. What was Plan X's weapon even, just that dippy flame thrower?

I always wonder why people don't have mechanisms to right themselves.

Some of the backstory footage or whatever you want to call that showed it had a large vertical spinner. The version they brought to the competition, however, was a lot smaller and either wasn't working or was woefully underpowered and did precisely gently caress all against Wrecks and it didn't look like they even managed to power it up against Bronco.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Witch Doctor performed better than I thought it would.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Can't wait to see Tombstone tear apart a terrible, yet sleek-looking bot.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
And here I thought that hook on Overhaul was useless.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Bite Force kinda sucks. How did it get the 3 seed? Was it seeded based on its old design that shows up in all the graphics?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lone Goat posted:

The drivers need to figure out what the hell they're doing. They're always bonking into each other and freeing inverted/trapped robots.

There were a couple points where, if the minibot's flamethrower had been working properly, it would have hit Witch Doctor. Seems like the bare minimum that a minibot should accomplish is "don't attack the main bot."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Whole Internet posted:

I still think biteforce is okay, but that was definitely not the best showing in that fight.

Bite Force being seeded so highly seems weird to me. Like, who could think that it's better than Bronco? I'm assuming that its :airquote:stats:airquote: and seeding were based on this version of Bite Force that appears in all the promotional material and models in the show.

I guess they were forced to make a last-minute change to get rid of that top part and it's made the bot worse.

• Locked thread