Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pakled posted:

Yeah, one of the new rules in the reboot is there has to be some kind of powered weapon, they can't just be a wedge.

I wonder if anyone ended up skirting the rules with the lightest weapon they could to still be a wedge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Flippers are cool if they're gas powered.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

nooneofconsequence posted:

They should get rid of these opinion panel things.

The only reason it's on ABC (and getting viewers) is because they retooled it that way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The least visible hazard, the low budget floor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, I mean you can't even easily drill into wood without having to push the bit into it. If you build a robot that's capable of drawing in an opponent like that you don't need the drill, make that thing crush them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It had a saw underneath or something, but yeah it sucked.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

If you read the Battlebots wiki there are absurdly detailed descriptions of every match.

Somehow this robot managed to get KOed by Tentoumushi: http://battlebots.wikia.com/wiki/Stinger

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

:911:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Warhead is durable as gently caress.

A mature adult dragon robot's chassis can only be pierced by a Dwarven forged blade.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

When I heard they were bringing this show back I was really hoping they would force them to be more creative than A Goddamn Wedge vs. Another Goddamn Wedge this time.

And there hasn't been any of those.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not sure why they think wings that are still low enough to be caught by the flipper is a defense.

Hahaha, as expected.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NowonSA posted:

Broncowns.

"Looks like we didn't take much damage" --That's a tasteful way to put it, considering plan X did literally nothing to you that I could see.

They might have scuffed the front a bit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

They're basically glorified wedges, the result is the same where one robot uses a wedge-like appendage to flip the other robot over and then it's a really loving boring couple of minutes where the flipper pushes the flippee into various arena hazards.

You'd think at least by now they'd expect that and design their robots with ways to right themselves, but no it's just like "oh my goodness, my robot has been flipped over and I can't control it, how can this be?!"

That lovely British robot hasn't been changed in like 20 years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Bronco's flipper could recover faster the match would have been over almost immediately again. He's right up under Stinger in the corner.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, that's what I meant. If the recovery time was a bit shorter they would have launched Stinger out right there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do they have to let go? If there's no limit on the hold it's over.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pakled posted:

Bite Force being seeded so highly seems weird to me. Like, who could think that it's better than Bronco? I'm assuming that its :airquote:stats:airquote: and seeding were based on this version of Bite Force that appears in all the promotional material and models in the show.

I guess they were forced to make a last-minute change to get rid of that top part and it's made the bot worse.

The name Biteforce doesn't even make sense with its current design.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sir Kill-a-lot was hardly invincible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It can. The extra armour they added to beat Nightmare messed up its balance for self righting though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How strong are the walls? If Tombstone gets launched into the wall with the blade spinning, can it damage them?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think height is an issue for Bronco.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uh, gently caress you Battlebots. Tombstone just lost.

For the second time in a row.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Tombstone guy is a pretty bad driver. He's always exposing his weak points.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DOOP posted:

They changed the rules to mandate powered weapons and prevent wedgebots, but the winner is gonna be a wedge

Lol

The rules being "you can't make the best kind of robot" is kind of dumb anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you don't allow the best design all you're ever going to get is people skirting the rules as much as possible to get as close as they can to that design.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

and if they did it'd be a wedgebot shoving match every single time, do you not see how that's worse than the current meta?

Then you do it other ways. You change the arena, you make height minimums or something, change the scoring system, I don't know.

Mandating a powered weapon isn't the solution. Biohazard had a powered weapon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also had to be flaps because it was so low to the ground a solid piece would probably get caught on things.

Xelkelvos posted:

There was a show called Robotica back when all of the robot fighting shows were big and presented a different type of competition (which is why it only lasted 21 episodes). It was less robot combat and more an RC car performance and driving test. Bots would race, break down obstacles, navigate obstacle courses and culminate and a Robo-sumo match. It wasn't all that great, but there were different limitations on weapons iirc, so there was at least one bot that actually threw a net on its opponent and it was legal.

High school robotics competitions do stuff like that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

These poor little insects are going to get destroyed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This announcer guy is really bad. I'm surprised he didn't get replaced.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The hammer isn't doing anything to the red one but some sad little dents.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blacksmith looks weak, just a lucky draw.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Lycan lost because the driver couldn't resist running into the spinner.

Mohawk did nothing and won.

Mohawk looks weak too. They couldn't even get a broken Lycan onto the wedge to chomp.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did they just have to let the battery run down then, or what?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I love Bronco.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's the first time fire has worked I think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The fire has made a big difference. In the old seasons Complete Control always seemed like it had no finish.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Possibly the worst one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some of them are just using drones because they have space under the weight limits. A lot of these robots were built years ago for lower weight classes and stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I want to see Bronco fire its flipper while grabbed by Complete Control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Great Beer posted:

Short version: tombstone/last rites. Long version: Powerful horizontal spinners and short vertical drums gained significant popularity while battlebots was off the air and the most popular heavyweight event didn't have arena hazards. This had the effect of most heavyweights having a belt of armor around them with very thin top and bottom armor. Solidly built wedges aid in deflecting that energy and just about any bot is agile enough to point it's strong end at the weapon.

Which brings the point around back to hammers. Pounds for pound they don't hit as hard as a well built spinners and their nature means that they tend to lose a lot of energy before even making contact. Their advantage comes from being able to hit where the armor isnt and damaging the interior components. Or in one case crushing the power switch which disabled the opponent instantly.

The Judge also has a point on that hammer and takes a hell of a swing with it.

None of the ones on the show seem to have as much power, or a point.

• Locked thread