Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
This was a nice System Shock 2 tribute with the insane AI taking over and the video logs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kwyndig posted:

Since they take external commands actually fielding soldiers with them would be an electronic warfare nightmare. While the team didn't have the resources to hack the program imagine being able to instantly cripple an opposing army because you hacked their tiny healing robots. Also it didn't do anything about the pain it looked like so they'd hardly be super soldiers unless you wanted to field an army of crazies like the guard.

It didn't do anything about the pain because the point of it was torture. And I'm sure in a universe where you have super healing nanomachines, you can make a computer small enough for soldiers to wear that can give them healing instructions or whatever.

My point is that was a bad episode which is a shame since the previous few have been pretty decent.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

CeeJee posted:

This was a nice System Shock 2 tribute with the insane AI taking over and the video logs.

The ending was kind of lazy though. You would think if they were using nanites as torture devices they'd be programmed to just nuke the subject if it manages to get out of range of the controller/computer. And then they can be 'decontaminated' with a steam shower?

Other than that it was a pretty fun episode, and worth it just for the character moments and plot progression (Davin being forced to admit what he did, Mister Smiles showing up at the end...)

BLAM "That dude talks way too much" :commissar:

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It didn't do anything about the pain because the point of it was torture. And I'm sure in a universe where you have super healing nanomachines, you can make a computer small enough for soldiers to wear that can give them healing instructions or whatever.

My point is that was a bad episode which is a shame since the previous few have been pretty decent.
It's a bad idea to use any kind of war equipment that can be hacked or made irresponsive to the operator's commands so easily, especially when the result of an equipment failure means that your entire army literally falls apart. The nanites can only regrow and rebuild tissue? Well a little bit of eWar and now an entire platoon drops to the ground as newly growing tumors choke their windpipes and rip through their eyes.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The underlying story was kind of weak, but I like that they showed that the Quad is just a small part of the human settlement of the star cluster (Jay? J?) and the rest are even more loving nuts (nanomachine torture prison? assassins guilds? whatever insane war D'avin was fighting). Also they still managed to make it pretty scary.

Still, I wish we had a space show where they didn't have dumb names for things and people. Khlyen and D'avin with John? Also unless humans stop having assholes I don't think the insult will ever lose its relevance.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 19, 2015

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Oh, there is a thread for this!

I like this show. It (sometimes just barely) clears the "good enough" bar that Dark Matter keeps missing. I like the characters and the world is interesting. The 'rhythm' of dialogue in Dark Matter frequently seems off to me, but it's better here. I'm curious about life in the wider J; it sounds like it's still a local political entity of sorts? I keep getting the feeling like they are leaving the door open to a Dark Matter crossover for some reason.

NB: Hannah John-Kamen has an astoundingly sexy voice. I give it 8 Eva Greens out of 10.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh I get it, this is one of those threads where you heap praise on a show in order to trick people into watching it. Haha, jokes on me.

This is awful in almost every way but the actress playing Dutch is unforgivably bad.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
Nah, I'm also in the "just barely clears good enough" camp. I actually liked this episode the best so far, but then I'm a sucker for System Shock 2. Hibernetics.

I'd say I'm one terrible episode away from quitting, but I kinda wanna see how the season ends (unless it gets so bad I just cant make myself).

That said, I'm not really hatewatching. I feel like I'm almost into it on a regular basis and sometimes quite into it for short bursts. A bump up in combat choreography across the board -- and budget -- would do this show a lot of good. If they expand on the characters and the actors rise to the bar, that'd also be a huge thing.

I do agree about Dutch; I find any praise of the characters odd, as Dutch is the only one that's even two-dimensional, and her actress can't act tough to save her life. And constantly does it. Sexy tough chick. Struts around in catsuits. We get it. She's no River Tam, much less Trinity. Molly Millions is lightyears ahead of this, though not TV, and that's 1984.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 19, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Budgets don't increase for sci-fi, why even imagine such childishness.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't think a bigger budget is necessary, you'd just end up with more or prettier establishing shots of their spaceships at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tighclops posted:

I don't think a bigger budget is necessary, you'd just end up with more or prettier establishing shots of their spaceships at this point.

Or maybe they could afford a lead actress who isn't terrible?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't think she's actually that bad, but the character isn't much to work with in the first place.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

best character is the crazy hot doctor.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I'm enjoying Hannah John-Kamen, and I think she believably does tough well. Mileages varying and what not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

etalian posted:

best character is the crazy hot doctor.

Currently the only reason I'm still watching.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rhyno posted:

Currently the only reason I'm still watching.

What about the Jacobi Brothers? :allears:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
x2 too many penises.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

I kinda like them all, maybe Lucy the most. They seem to have fun doing this which helps me enjoying it myself :)

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I have to say, I love the Dutch-John partnership. It was a great reveal that John already knows the whole story about Dutch's mysterious past, at least enough to be afraid of her tutor (who is apparently invulnerable), and really adds to their sense of shared history.

This was also a good episode for some worldbuilding, with the greater killjoy community and some of the political tensions being explored. I do hope Pawter isn't gone for good though, she's great.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Never been a fan of the lead actor, but otherwise a decent Firefly alternative

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ShakeZula posted:

I have to say, I love the Dutch-John partnership. It was a great reveal that John already knows the whole story about Dutch's mysterious past, at least enough to be afraid of her tutor (who is apparently invulnerable), and really adds to their sense of shared history.

This was also a good episode for some worldbuilding, with the greater killjoy community and some of the political tensions being explored. I do hope Pawter isn't gone for good though, she's great.

Genetic bomb is a pretty good weapon.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It's a "just barely clears good enough" show for sure, but on the scale of all TV shows currently airing that places it quite high.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Rastor posted:

It's a "just barely clears good enough" show for sure, but on the scale of all TV shows currently airing that places it quite high.

That's where it is for me, too. I'm mostly watching it because it's on right after Defiance and there no competition for my attention. If some evil SyFy bastard moved it in a way that changed that, I probably wouldn't watch it anymore.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

There's been a lot worse SyFy original shows over the years than this, hoping it and Dark Matter do well and get multiple seasons.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
I just want the original brother to have sex with the ship already so we can get this unoriginal show flushed already.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Genetic bomb is a pretty good weapon.

I'm amazed everyone is going "What could this gene bomb possibly be used for? " just two episodes after an entire show dedicated to what happens when one of the company bloodlines is in danger of getting wiped out.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Space amnesia.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm amazed everyone is going "What could this gene bomb possibly be used for? " just two episodes after an entire show dedicated to what happens when one of the company bloodlines is in danger of getting wiped out.

Well they said that the Nine are pretty inbred...I figure there are marriages for alliances and even if they're incubated elsewhere they're genetically related to their parents...

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Poor Johnny.

This a weird half naked fight.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of odd that Dutch put on shoes. Also kind of surprised that they're just going ahead and ending this subplot.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Man, I like get all that is cheesy about this show but I can't help but like every moment. The acting is definitely getting better as the show goes on though.

"I mean, they're both...terrible at relationships. I mean epically incompetent." :haw:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
After the System Shock 2 episode this was pretty much a Mass Effect character side mission down to the the Jack like tattoos on that bioware (hah) expert. They went through a set of NPC's to get info from by dialogue, a fight scene and in the end a choice how to deal with a defeated enemy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the gay bartender is better than any shrink

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

etalian posted:

the gay bartender is better than any shrink
Doesn't help that the shrink is horribly unethical and bangs her patients.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mars4523 posted:

Doesn't help that the shrink is horribly unethical and bangs her patients.

she's a shrink with friends in high places so it seems like a good deal.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Now that Amanda Tapping's Killjoys character has had her memories deleted, the stage is set to introduce the crossover eighth crew member on Dark Matter. :cheeky:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Alehkhs posted:

Now that Amanda Tapping's Killjoys character has had her memories deleted, the stage is set to introduce the crossover eighth crew member on Dark Matter. :cheeky:

the more and more we get into the season for both of these the more I am expecting them to actually be taking place in the same universe

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think my biggest problem with Dutch is that she just looks like a little kid running around with the big kids. She's not even slightly intimidating or "badass."

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
/\ This show does make me miss Claudia Black and Ben Browder.

So far though it's working alright. Not great epic space drama but solid adventuring. I would be fine with more Mass Effect side mission stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Erghh posted:

/\ This show does make me miss Claudia Black and Ben Browder.

Well poo poo. I didn't even realize it but you hit the nail on the head. Claudia is pretty much the best "kickass space babe" ever and I've been unconsciously comparing Dutch to Aeryn.

• Locked thread