Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
That's more or less the idea, except I thought the ones who got wiped out in the DNA bomb were the Westerlans who were movin' on up? I got the impression that the medal ceremony thing was all the Seventh Generations getting recognized officially. It went by too fast to really take notice of who else got hit.

I thought it was pretty cool but ultimately obvious that Red 17 ended up being on Arkyn, since no one would go to a moon that was supposed to be 'screwed up' by The Company to begin with.

Also, I was way more concerned when I saw Fancy there than when D'avin woke up. Fancy :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The bombing at the Hall was to kill off the Quereshi nobles that were probably in favour of handing the land over the 7th gen Westerlans. Not sure what the award ceremony part was for, but I don't think it was anything but nobles at attendance anyway, they were just convening for a vote. It's likely the bomb took them all out because they were all tied in some way by blood through intermarriage and alliances. They orchestrated the false flag attack to give them an excuse to bomb Old Town so that the coup would pretty much go unanswered.

Also poor Fancy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sober posted:

The bombing at the Hall was to kill off the Quereshi nobles that were probably in favour of handing the land over the 7th gen Westerlans. Not sure what the award ceremony part was for, but I don't think it was anything but nobles at attendance anyway, they were just convening for a vote. It's likely the bomb took them all out because they were all tied in some way by blood through intermarriage and alliances.

Well, not all of them. Dutch's employer basically said as much -- the blue house (the Doctor's family) and the grey house were her allies. Everyone else could burn.

I assume that meant that those two allied families were the only other two to survive (plus the one that's currently her ward). Plus, as crazy as she was, there was no way that Dutch's Quereshi boss was gonna blow herself up.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah I guess I was unclear there, but the genetic bomb probably helped things along in destroying what I assume would've been effectively a voting bloc consisting of allied families that intermingled for generations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

You just wait. He will be back better than ever. With even fancier gadgets :(

Disappointed that neither Dutch or John grabbed that sweet genetic bomb. The best weapon :colbert:

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Well, not all of them. Dutch's employer basically said as much -- the blue house (the Doctor's family) and the grey house were her allies. Everyone else could burn.

I assume that meant that those two allied families were the only other two to survive (plus the one that's currently her ward). Plus, as crazy as she was, there was no way that Dutch's Quereshi boss was gonna blow herself up.

I think its kind of adorable that you think she wouldn't leave the baby in range of the bomb for house keeping. I mean in for a penny in for a pound with a coup this big. She seems to have killed off 7 or the 9 families. Also does anyone know the name of the song that plays when D'avin staggers out of hospital at the end. Also I really hope this gets picked up instead of Dark Matter.

frgildan fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 22, 2015

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

frgildan posted:

I think its kind of adorable that you think she wouldn't leave the baby in range of the bomb for house keeping.

Why would she? The child gives her ownership over a second family's claim, which gives her an edge over her two allies.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
With most of the heads or the whole families of the majority of the nine dead I assume the survivng families are just going to grab all the land and power. It just seems easier for her to have him eliminated by the bomb. That way she claims his land and can be a grieving victim of this terrible act of terrorism in the public eye.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eh, this level 6 nearly unkillable straw puppet thing, their mystery punch bowl computer and BDSM nanotech kind of sounds like there's an external factor to the series' population. Like aliens or something.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, this level 6 nearly unkillable straw puppet thing, their mystery punch bowl computer and BDSM nanotech kind of sounds like there's an external factor to the series' population. Like aliens or something.

Yeah the glowing poo poo definitely gives it an alien edge. That or maybe w/e the gently caress they did to the moon turned out to be something they could use. The whole "you have no idea what's coming" stuff makes it sound like an alien threat though.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Combat Pretzel posted:

Or the Quad is just the backwater of the cluster they're in. Who knows how advanced the other polities are?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I don't know but it feels like aliens are a bit out of reach since both Johnny and his contact were able to recognize, decipher and utilize the tech. I think it's just really advanced.

Maybe it's from the future and my Continuum/Killjoys/Dark Matter fanfic becomes a reality or maybe they'll just bust out the puppets and go full Farscape.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm expecting the level 6 conditioning to have some sort of bad interaction with whatever D'avin had done to him.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

frgildan posted:

does anyone know the name of the song that plays when D'avin staggers out of hospital at the end

Bad news: Based on this otherwise accurate list (from what I can tell), it's an unreleased song from a Montréal band, Monogrenade.

Good news: I'm now listening to Monogrenade.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Interview with Killjoys showrunner on the finale, and season 2.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/killjoys-season-finale-spoilers-michelle-816593

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Alehkhs posted:

Bad news: Based on this otherwise accurate list (from what I can tell), it's an unreleased song from a Montréal band, Monogrenade.

Good news: I'm now listening to Monogrenade.

Thank you for posting this. I wasn't having the best luck with Shazam.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Praise the trees!

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Tokubetsu posted:

Yeah the glowing poo poo definitely gives it an alien edge. That or maybe w/e the gently caress they did to the moon turned out to be something they could use. The whole "you have no idea what's coming" stuff makes it sound like an alien threat though.

I agree with the alien threat idea simply because of Khylan's actions. He doesn't seem to care about power for its own sake. I think he killed the other houses and hosed Westerly to have Delle Kendry as a strong leader who won't have to contend with rebellion or power struggles when the poo poo comes down. It's the same reason he's creating nigh-unkillable RAC agents (and with warrents RAC agents can show up anywhere doing anything and make the perfect covert operations force. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if next season has the group trying to overthrow Kendry and defeat/cure the Level 6ers and succeed with that just in time to have the ID4 ships from the real threat start showing up as Khylan's dyign words are something like "You fucktards, this is what I was trying to stop."

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I'm guessing D'avin and the ninja killjoy were being turned into level 6 super killjoys at the end there?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I'm guessing D'avin and the ninja killjoy were being turned into level 6 super killjoys at the end there?

Maybe it's like Witcher where they just give those guys a bunch of poo poo and who ever is still alive at the end, hey now you're level 6 with powers and etc.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Guess we're getting a season 2!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Sober posted:

Guess we're getting a season 2!

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/syfy-dark-matter-killjoys-season-2-1201582673/

hoping killjoys will get better ratings in season 2

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wow I am most shocked that Defiance had the best ratings of these 3 shows on SyFridays

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Wow I am most shocked that Defiance had the best ratings of these 3 shows on SyFridays

I watch all 3 and Defiance is legitimately the better show by far.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Defiance killed all season, and it's ending was legitimately worthy of being a season finale on an emotional level. And it had Bowie, even if it was remixed. All shows are elevated by adding Bowie to the mix.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This show is good. The set design works, the writing seems to have a clear hold on the characters and the plot from the beginning. I understand the idea that there's "too much myth" but that sounds to me like the writers have a story they want to tell which is nice. This show reminds me of nothing so much as a cross between Cowboy Bebop and Shadowrun.

What else is there to say really? The cast has good chemistry. The premise works as a base and there's something interesting to do every week, much of it setting up the world and the backstories. Sure this is a very genre show, like 3/4 characters have mysterious pasts but when you run the shadows when you're a bounty hunter living in a poo poo-rear end city like Westerly I guess that's normal.

Pairing it with Dark Matter really points up what it does right. Dark Matter has much poorer writing, the set design makes very little sense, and the cast doesn't have the instant chemistry of the Dutch, Blue Eyes Guy, and D'av trio.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

The Season 2 premiere of Killjoys has been set for Friday, July 1 at 9/8c, with Dark Matter (which is entertaining for all the wrong reasons) an hour later.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Great news. Hope season 2 is just as entertaining as the first.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Happy Canada Day, space is rightfully Canadian :canada:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
For those of you unaware, Season 2 of Killjoys begins July 1st:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3EauAY8l0I

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
New opening credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5OkEIIcqXw

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Well, at least it's short. :geno:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I didn't mind the original credits, not sure why they changed them...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The original credits where some of the only things about this show I actually sorta liked.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Take a dozen bland images and slap a photoshop filter over them. Why :confused:

I quite liked the season 1 intro.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Variety has the first 2 minutes of the new season up, should you need that quick hit before July 1st.

Well, they might have taken our 90s scifi credits sequence from us, but they left us the out-of-place soundtrack.

Alright, I'll admit - the "time jump" got me. I figured it was a deliberate move to get the team back together as quickly as possible, and that we would see D'avin's Red17 experience through flashbacks. But then Fancy Lee showed up...

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 21, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
The show is back this Friday - but you can have an "Extended Preview" of the new season now:

Spoilers Ahoy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Poor D'avin. Just can't stop getting mind raped. At least Fancy Lee got regen powers, even if he is working for Kline now.

I guess Irisa found a new job after Defiance ended. Shame she didn't stick around.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I guess Irisa found a new job after Defiance ended. Shame she didn't stick around.

I'm hoping she shows up now and then, at least. I laughed out loud when Alice revved onto the screen for the first time. :megaman:

:hellyeah:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bou
Aug 3, 2006

i missed this show so much :swoon:

Space-Scoobygang chasing the greatest conspiracy in the universe is extremely my stuff.

• Locked thread