Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Welcome to ᕦ(_ˇ)ᕤ Mafia, The mafia game inspired by Awful Survivor: YLLS. If you or somebody you love is involved with Awful Survivor, this may the start to the help you need.

Mafia is a party game that can be played in a group or online. The premise is that a group of townsfolk (the good guys) try to discover and root out the Mafia menace hiding amongst them. The game has day and night phases: During the day everyone attempts to discover who the Mafia are, and vote to eliminate them (execution). During the night discussion is halted and the Mafia choose someone to kill. The game ends when either the Mafia have control of the town or every Mafia member is dead.

Once the game starts, you will receive a PM telling you your role. The role will specify your abilities and win conditions.

In this game, the town are represented by ᕦ(_ˇ)ᕤ and the scum are represented by (。-‿ ◕。)/

Third parties will be represented by this dude ᕦ ( O_o ) ᕤ

Setup

This game will have a semi open set up. I will describe what roles can be in this game. All of the roles that are in the game will be listed here, but not every role I list will be in the game. A role can appear more than once. I'll tailor the setup to the number of players. I will list the possible roles in the next post.

Votefinder

There will be a little posting bot called votefinder who counts your votes. Don't mind him, he's just here to help. To make sure it reads your votes properly use the bold tags (control-b will get them to pop up) and put two pound signs, then write vote and who you're voting for. It will look like this:

quote:

##vote MMM

You can use nicknames just fine btw, no need to write out a whole name each time.

Rules

Please read these rules, if you have any questions about them I will be happy to answer them.

• No editing your posts.
  • No talking OOT unless you are able to do so.
  • Don't post your role PM.
  • Don't ask other players questions about their role PMs.
  • Don't spectator-post.
  • Don't post after dying.
  • Don't encrypt your posts, make Toxx clauses, or play Truth or Dare.
  • Don't lurk. I will tell you if I don't think you're posting enough.
  • Don't go against the spirit of the game. The spirit of the game is inviting and fun.
  • Be nice!
  • :chillpill:

Players

1. Allen Wren
  2. AnonymousNarcotics
  3. Chic Trombone
  4. DaisyDanger
  5. Eight Dollars
  6. Fast Luck
  7. garthoneeye
  8. HiipFire
  9. imgay
  10. Jato + EXAKT
  11. King Burgundy
  12. Met
  13. Pinterest Mom
  14. Poison Mushroom
  15. Propaganda Machine
  16. TMMadman
  17. Tremendous Taste

Resources:
The SA Mafia Wiki - Do you want to read more about mafia before playing? This is the only place to do so.
The Mafia Discussion Thread - Want to talk mafia players about mafia whether pineapple is an appropriate pizza topping? This is the place to make you dream come true.
The New Game Announcement Thread - Play more games! MORE MORE MORE!
Votefinder - The site for votefinder! Enjoy it while it lasts.

Don't be afraid to ask questions about the game! I'm happy to help anybody who needs it.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Roles

Vanilla Town - This is just your regular town aligned player. They have no special abilities.

Town doctor - The doctor can protect somebody each night. The person they protect cannot be killed that night. They cannot protect the same person two nights in a row, although they can protect themselves.

Town cop - The cop can investigate somebody each night. They will be told whether the person they investigated was SCUM or NOT SCUM. They can investigate themselves but there's no need really.

Town vigilante - The vigilante can shoot one person at night. That player dies. The big can only do this once.

Town Jailor - The jailor can imprison one person each night. That person cannot be targeted by any other actions, nor can they use any actions of their own.

Town one shot bullet proof - The first time this character is targeted by a kill from any source they aren't killed. Their bullet proof goes away after that. If they are protected by a doctor, they do not lose their bulletproof.

Town Tracker - The tracker follows somebody each night. They are told who the player visits.

~

Scum goon - The scum goon is your standard scum player. They are given a doc to communicate with the other scum players and together as a group they can make a kill.

Scum roleblocker - The roleblocker has all the abilities of a goon but can also pick one player to block each night. The player they block cannot use their night action.

Scum godfather - The godfather has all the abilities of the goon but will investigate as NOT SCUM instead of SCUM

~

Serial Killer - The Serial Killer is not aligned with the scum or the town. They are out for themselves. They can kill one person each night. They also have a one shot bullet proof, the first time they are targeted with a night kill they will not die.

Masons - Masons can communicate freely out of thread. Masons are not aware of their partner's alignments. Should masons appear in this game, the players that are masons will be randomly determined without regard for their roles.

Your role will be clearly explained in your role pm

Action resolution

This is mostly non essential stuff to know, but if you want to get into the various nitty gritty stuff, here is how the roles interact with each other.

The roleblocker has priority over the jailor. If they target each other, the jailor will be roleblocked and the roleblocker will not be jailed.

Scum roleblocker can also submit a kill in addition to the roleblock. Both targets will be given if tracked.

The Serial Killer will investigate as NOT SCUM

If an action is unsuccessful (if it's roleblocked, the target is jailed or otherwise invalid) the player making the action will be informed it was not successful but will not be informed why.

If the vig's action is unsuccessful (for regular reasons or if the target is targeted by another killing role) then the vig's one shot will not be spent.

A kill action against a bulletproof player or a protected player will be considered successful even though the target doesn't die. A vig targeting a protected or bulletproof player will lose their shot.

A doctor's protection protects against all kills in a night. A bulletproof player is only protected from one. The order of the kills is Scum > SK > vig.

A bulletproof player will not be informed when their one shot bullet proof goes away.

If a bulletproof player is roleblocked, they are not considered bulletproof that night.

Communication between masons should still follow the rules of regular communication. no sharing role pms, no asking questions about role pms, no being an rear end in a top hat.

Players will not be told they were the target of an action.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 26, 2015

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Chic Trombone posted:

ᕦ(_ˇ)ᕤ this guy is me in real life tho ᕦ(_ˇ)ᕤ

I think the real turning point between us was when I stole the swole smiley

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

ᕦ(_ˇ)ᕤ I ᕦ(_ˇ)ᕤ RETURN ᕦ(_ˇ)ᕤ TO ᕦ(_ˇ)ᕤ MAFIA ᕦ(_ˇ)ᕤ AS ᕦ(_ˇ)ᕤ A ᕦ(_ˇ)ᕤ FAVOR ᕦ(_ˇ)ᕤ TO ᕦ(_ˇ)ᕤ MMM ᕦ(_ˇ)ᕤ

Don't feel obligated!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Chic Trombone posted:

I still think someone needs to get garth that cowboy avatar or w/e it was

Oh right, I'm going to section off :10bux: of my winnings for avatars for anoni and garth

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm not closing sign ups for a bit. I'd prefer a good 15-17 players but I'll take whatever comes

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

HiipFire posted:

may i join????

Yes, you literally played in the season of survivor this is for!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Game should start tomorrow night, I'll take sign ups until then

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TMMadman posted:

I have never played Mafia before. Can I still play?

I was invited to play Survivor: YLLS by Fast Luck and thought about it but didn't really have the time. I did read the thread though and some of the VV, although I didn't post in either of them.

P.s. congrats MMM

Yes and thank you!

I'll do up a setup soon, sign ups are closed now

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The noble ᕦ(_ˇ)ᕤ tribe has bested all it's opponents and crushed them down to the lizard leggings etc. Although they thought maybe there would be peace or something like that in face a small group of their old enemies (。-‿ ◕。)/ have emerged. Now they have agreed to kill one person off each day because that's just what you have to do in these situations.

Victory conditions:

ᕦ(_ˇ)ᕤ Eliminate all threats
(。-‿ ◕。)/ Have unambiguous control over the vote
ᕦ ( O_o ) ᕤ (should it appear) Be the last one left

Don't be afraid to ask me questions.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I always forget to set a deadline but would guys be fine with a sunday deadline?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

:munch:

The worst challenge ever was the scavenger hunt

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

deadline will be sunday unless people complain about it tonight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I like to keep game days to 2-3 irl days to keep discussion moving but we can do monday if that gets more support

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

By the way guys I have replacements at the ready so if anybody isn't feeling up to playing this game you can PM me about it by tomorrow and we'll sort it out.

Also in a similar vein if I see low post counts by tomorrow, like if some people have still only made a handful of posts I'll be having a talk with them.

I hate replacing after day 1 so I'm trying to be proactive here.

And the deadline will be Monday.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I've been vague so here's something definite:

Monday 10pm est

I want to have all my night actions in at 10am Tuesday est. If you have a night action you can submit before night if you want to.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Missed a question earlier:

Somewhere between a bundle and a pile.

In other news:

EXAKT Science replaces Jato

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TMMadman posted:

I just woke up so I've got nothing to really say, but I did want to point out that the deadline on the votecounter is wrong. It says June 01 when it should be June 29.

You have 1 year to make a choice

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Just a reminder that the deadline is at 10pm tonight! That's less than 2 hours! Don't post after the deadline!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

For ~reasons~ it's taking me a bit to resolve this vote.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

PMush was vanilla town!

Send me your night actions by 10 am, anybody not sending me an action in time will not take their action. Make sure you say what your action is just to make things easier for me. You can send your actions via skype if you have me there.

If you are able to talk put of thread you can continue to do so at night.

See you tomorrow.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

King Burgundy was killed in the night. He was a Town Tracker.

It'll take me sometime to remove him from votefinder, but I'll do it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Omg I can't go have a nice canada day without coming home to you guys making GBS threads your pants?

Seriously though what about "keep it civil and clean; this is a newbie" game do you not understand?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Closing this thread and reopening tomorrow have a relax and I'll see you tomorrow with an answer to what's going on.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I've discussed things with some involved players. The day will continue without replacements or modkills. I'll extend the deadline maybe? We'll see.

In the future here are some things to do
:chillpill:
if this game is upsetting or frustrating you take a break
if a discussion isn't going anywhere, you don't have to run it into the dirt
you can attack somebody's arguments while still being friendly and I recommend trying that
don't pm other people asking them to replace you before talking to me
don't pm telling me to modkill somebody

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY HAVE FUN

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm Extending the deadline by one hour, but feel free to kill before hand.

Also, for this day, I'll have a Floating deadline, which means you can keep posting and voting after the deadline until I come in here and say stop. It'll probably only float 10ish minutes past if I get busy

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I just sent out some prods to the less active players. Nobody is in danger of modkills yet, but it's always nice to post more.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

good god.

No, bets and toxxes in this thread aren't real and aren't allowed

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

:redhammer: Tremendous Taste, ᕦ(_ˇ)ᕤ aligned Tracker, has been executed day 2.

12 hours for night actions, same rules as last time.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Eight Dollars, town jailor, was killed in the night.

It is now day 3.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ah right, there's some kind of weird day south of the border right?

Monday at 10pm is your deadline

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Met, scummy scum goon, was killed.

It's now night, 12 hours for actions etc.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Pinterest Mom, town 1 shot bulletproof, was killed in the night

Anonymous Narcotics, town tracker, was killed in the night

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think I'll make the deadline tomorrow night, standard 10pm time if there are no objections.

Additionally, I'd like to see everybody reach 50 posts by the deadline

Here is where everybody who is still alive is at:

quote:

TMMadman 210
Fast Luck 120
DaisyDanger 104
Propaganda Machine 94
EXAKT Science 73
Allen Wren 49
garthoneeye 46
imgay 45
Chic Trombone 39
HiipFire 39

I know it can be difficult to post like experienced all star player TMMadman but give it your best shot.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

I think we should go for a lurker, especially if the consensus is that we have an SK to deal with. we want to get rid of the SK, right? I think there's definitely lurking scum, and I strongly suspect that the SK is laying low to avoid suspicion and the lynch.

#vote chic

I like her least. Constant excuses for not posting, and even less content than imgay and Hiip.

Incorrect voting format here, but I'll manually add a vote on votefinder

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ah there appears to be an error with the votefinder, let me fix it

E: it's fixed

:siren: don't forget to make 50 posts by deadline or risk modkill

quote:

TMMadman 217
Fast Luck 123
DaisyDanger 104
Propaganda Machine 101
EXAKT Science 73
Allen Wren 54
imgay 49
garthoneeye 49
Chic Trombone 39
HiipFire 39

Jump King fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 9, 2015

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yes

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

imgay, Vanilla Town, was executed.

Chic Trombone, Town Mason, was modkilled.

Get your actions in by 10am tomorrow.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TMMadman, vanilla town, was killed

Hiipfire, scum roleblocker, was killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So as much as I trust your ability to do this without a deadline and I encourage you to do stuff without the threat of the deadline, I'm going to give you a deadline.

Monday 10pm est

• Locked thread