Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

e: nvm fixed itself weirdly enough

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

You know want the joke is?

I imagine it is something to do with OS X being based on BSD.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

is the most appropriate tag for hackintoshes.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Anything I need to change when going from integrated intel 4600 to an Asus GTX970? Using Clover for a bootloader. Most of the guides are for setting up a new install and not making changes afterwards.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
You'll definitely need to install the nVidia Web Drivers (and may need to set nv_disable=1 to be able to boot into the OS to install it, - I end up having to most times after an OS minor version update to be able to upgrade the driver), but other than that it shouldn't require anything.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also disable the on-board Intel in bios and move the cabling to the card.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

jeff8472 posted:

Anything I need to change when going from integrated intel 4600 to an Asus GTX970? Using Clover for a bootloader. Most of the guides are for setting up a new install and not making changes afterwards.

New guide will cover that (coming very soon, before El Cap) but the reply got it.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Later tonight I'll have a quick guide for updating from Yosemite to El Capitan GM, if any of you want to do that. Very simple. Public beta people, you should have just gotten an email with a code to download it.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 10, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

To upgrade to El Capitan.

Download and install this version of Clover https://mega.nz/#!CNRUnB4Y!mQMx2xrUNCjdxDgeSyDpRpvmh-k9yJ0KSdw66HsrXgk

In your Clover kexts folder, make sure you have a 10.11 folder. If not, create it. Put Fakesmc.kext in it.

Done. Downlaod El Capitan off the Mac App Store and install.

CD into your audio_CloverALC folder (or, if you deleted it, just redownload it and run it like normal) and run 'git pull'. Run the script again like normal to get your audio back. WebDriver: http://us.download.nvidia.com/tYGrxreBnE8b89jZ0VysebeSwZJehZTa/WebDriver-346.03.01b07.pkg

enMTW fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 10, 2015

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Upgraded to El Capitan, had to change my clover.plist to inject an AudioID of 1 to get audio_cloveralc to work.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

I have a Hackintosh that I got working a year ago (on Mavericks) using Unibeast and Multibeast, but I'm looking to flatten and reinstall using Clover...I might wait until El Capitan is general release though. The computer is a Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 ATX LGA1150 motherboard wiht a GeForce GTX 760.

The first question that I can't find online is how to properly dual-boot. I have (and plan to keep) OSX and Windows on completely separate physical drives. Right now the computer boots off of the OSX drive, and the Chameleon bootloader lets me choose which OS (on which drive) to boot to. Is there something I can configure in Clover post-install?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No need to configure. Just point BIOS at the clover disk and Clover will auto detect all bootable drives including Windows. Arrow keys to change selection, enter to select.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

What version of clover is it; just a standard version or something custom? Linking to a mega.nz is kinda weird.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

akadajet posted:

What version of clover is it; just a standard version or something custom? Linking to a mega.nz is kinda weird.

It was the latest source compile as of the day I posted it. The one I have in the OP is also a Mega link. If you want, you can compile it yourself via CloverGrowerPro.

Anything newer than R3259 will work.

The reason I don't link/recommend the pre-compiled version on Sourceforge is that it doesn't have Apple's HFS Plus EFI binary (not a big deal, the VirtualBox one it includes works fine) and that it has a different set of themes (bad, can result in the installer replacing your config.plist).

enMTW fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 12, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

enMTW posted:

To upgrade to El Capitan.

Download and install this version of Clover https://mega.nz/#!CNRUnB4Y!mQMx2xrUNCjdxDgeSyDpRpvmh-k9yJ0KSdw66HsrXgk

In your Clover kexts folder, make sure you have a 10.11 folder. If not, create it. Put Fakesmc.kext in it.

Done. Downlaod El Capitan off the Mac App Store and install.

CD into your audio_CloverALC folder (or, if you deleted it, just redownload it and run it like normal) and run 'git pull'. Run the script again like normal to get your audio back. WebDriver: http://us.download.nvidia.com/tYGrxreBnE8b89jZ0VysebeSwZJehZTa/WebDriver-346.03.01b07.pkg

Went through all this, everything seems to be working like a champ.

Also, the Clover install is supremely annoying. I wish it wasn't just using the core OS X packager. It's too easy to gently caress up the "upgrade" and accidentally write a clean Clover install to the root of your boot volume rather than update what's on the EFI partition, and then confuse yourself as to what's going on. Ask me how!

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 15, 2015

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
My Chameleon setup was giving me a kernel panic on the reg, so I decided to redo my entire Mac partition with Clover. I was able to get everything working except for audio and the USB 3.0 ports, and I just can't seem to figure out how to fix either.

The audio is the main concern. I'm using a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA1155 mobo which has both VIA VT2021 and High Definition Audio listed under its audio, but the usual HDA patching isn't doing anything for me. From what I've seen people have been able to mess with the DSDT to get it working, but I tried followed their steps and nothing happened. My previous build experience doesn't help me cause I used VoodooHDA there and I feel like it might've been the root of my problems so I'd like to avoid it. I can't find anything useful for fixing the USB 3.0 at all.

I might just settle for a USB sound card but I worry about the audio quality with those. And I'd need my 3.0 ports to work before I can even plug it in.

Unfortunately most of this stuff goes right over my head so I can't figure out the problems on my own. I've only gotten this far because of how useful these threads are.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Pigbuster posted:

My Chameleon setup was giving me a kernel panic on the reg, so I decided to redo my entire Mac partition with Clover. I was able to get everything working except for audio and the USB 3.0 ports, and I just can't seem to figure out how to fix either.

The audio is the main concern. I'm using a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA1155 mobo which has both VIA VT2021 and High Definition Audio listed under its audio, but the usual HDA patching isn't doing anything for me. From what I've seen people have been able to mess with the DSDT to get it working, but I tried followed their steps and nothing happened. My previous build experience doesn't help me cause I used VoodooHDA there and I feel like it might've been the root of my problems so I'd like to avoid it. I can't find anything useful for fixing the USB 3.0 at all.

I might just settle for a USB sound card but I worry about the audio quality with those. And I'd need my 3.0 ports to work before I can even plug it in.

Unfortunately most of this stuff goes right over my head so I can't figure out the problems on my own. I've only gotten this far because of how useful these threads are.

That board does not have natively supported audio. You have to use Voodoo. USB3 is also weird on that board. Are you using El Cap or Yosemite? El Cap has issues with USB on unsupported boards, if you are having that problem this guide may help. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306777-guide-usb-fix-el-capitan-1011/

If using Yosemite, install this and USB will work again: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-generic-usb3/downloads

Though you should really get a different Gigabyte board if you want OS X to work well. :\

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

enMTW posted:

That board does not have natively supported audio. You have to use Voodoo. USB3 is also weird on that board. Are you using El Cap or Yosemite? El Cap has issues with USB on unsupported boards, if you are having that problem this guide may help. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306777-guide-usb-fix-el-capitan-1011/

If using Yosemite, install this and USB will work again: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-generic-usb3/downloads

Though you should really get a different Gigabyte board if you want OS X to work well. :\

I'm using Yosemite, and at first that solution didn't work either. Keyboard, mouse, flash drives, nothing would show up when plugged in. Then I plugged my keyboard in through the USB extender and now everything works fine. :psyduck:

You're probably right about the board, but hopefully Clover will help this one out. So far I haven't had a kernel panic and that's encouraging.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
I was having weird USB Issues as well. I have a powered USB Hub, and my system refused to boot with it plugged in...

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Armagnac posted:

I was having weird USB Issues as well. I have a powered USB Hub, and my system refused to boot with it plugged in...

That is a issue with some USB chipsets, most commonly USB 3.0 stuff. Early USB 3.0 stuff was not quite entirely baked yet I think. Any computer within the last year or so you won't even have the problem again.

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009
So I've just run into a dilemma...

Running OSX Yosemite on an HP Probook through Clover

I was in class fighting with Parallels ceasing to work (Virtualization/VT-D was suddenly "disabled", which happened before and just took a reinstalled), after uninstalling, reinstalling it and still having no success, I decided to give VirtualBox a try, and I was getting the same type of error.

So I boot into BIOS and see that virtualization on the CPU is disabled there, although I remember having it on and having it work for months prior. I turn it back on, save and exit and now the laptop will only boot into Clover, then just reboot when I try to boot into OSX or the use the recovery option.

Tried to boot in verbose mode but barely see 5 lines of messages for a second before the whole thing reboots.

I still have the install USB ready if I have to reinstall and most anything important is stored in the cloud, but I really don't feel like starting over if I don't have to.

I appreciate any help that can be given.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

LoSesMC posted:

So I've just run into a dilemma...

Running OSX Yosemite on an HP Probook through Clover

I was in class fighting with Parallels ceasing to work (Virtualization/VT-D was suddenly "disabled", which happened before and just took a reinstalled), after uninstalling, reinstalling it and still having no success, I decided to give VirtualBox a try, and I was getting the same type of error.

So I boot into BIOS and see that virtualization on the CPU is disabled there, although I remember having it on and having it work for months prior. I turn it back on, save and exit and now the laptop will only boot into Clover, then just reboot when I try to boot into OSX or the use the recovery option.

Tried to boot in verbose mode but barely see 5 lines of messages for a second before the whole thing reboots.

I still have the install USB ready if I have to reinstall and most anything important is stored in the cloud, but I really don't feel like starting over if I don't have to.

I appreciate any help that can be given.

Reset your bios settings, set them back up like you previously had them, try to boot. Sounds like one of the many many laptop-specific issues.

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009

enMTW posted:

Reset your bios settings, set them back up like you previously had them, try to boot. Sounds like one of the many many laptop-specific issues.

Yeah, it looks like the BIOS was extra sensitive to button-clicks and me click save carried over to turning off Data Execution Prevention (!). I got it booting up but was something messed up Apple Intel CPU Management, so I whipped out the trusty install USB and booted up through that to install the latest HP Clover installer package for my laptop model, and I'm good to go.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
Are there any problems with the new System Integrity Protection when upgrading to 10.11?

I have a shitload of stuff in /usr/local (and I think maybe /usr), /System (eat poo poo launchd) an edited AppleGraphicsControl.kext, GlimmerBlocker and a few custom kexts I had to compile myself. From my understanding SIP will just shove all that poo poo into the PreviousVersion folder, but I need the edited AppleGraphicsControl kext to see anything on my display, so it's kinda important that it's there, and it can't be injected afaik. Is there a way to disable it before upgrading?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Beeftweeter posted:

Are there any problems with the new System Integrity Protection when upgrading to 10.11?

I have a shitload of stuff in /usr/local (and I think maybe /usr), /System (eat poo poo launchd) an edited AppleGraphicsControl.kext, GlimmerBlocker and a few custom kexts I had to compile myself. From my understanding SIP will just shove all that poo poo into the PreviousVersion folder, but I need the edited AppleGraphicsControl kext to see anything on my display, so it's kinda important that it's there, and it can't be injected afaik. Is there a way to disable it before upgrading?

No SIP problems. Clover disables it by default. The problems with 10.11 are related to USB, lots of changes to USB. USB3 is broken for lots of people. An easy fix for that will be out in the next day or two.

Your kexts will be migrated out, though. Even without SIP, AppleGraphicsControl would get tossed aside as the installer has a newer version to offer. You should switch to MacPro3,1 temporarily so you can see things (ideally, switch permanently). You can reinstall your kexts after the upgrade.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 4, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Heads up to El Capitan upgraders: Sxvirtuallink (also known as the lovely software you install to use USB things hooked up to your Linksys router) will kernel panic your upgrade on boot and make you waste an entire evening figuring it out unless you remove the kext.

On the bright side this hackintosh is now running a fresh new El Cap/Clover install and finally sleeps properly.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

A reminder that El Capitan breaks USB 3 support on most motherboards. If you need USB3, I'd hold off on updating until an easy to use fix is released, likely today or tomorrow.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

El Capitan is out. Build is newer than the GM seed.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

enMTW posted:

El Capitan is out. Build is newer than the GM seed.

I am updated and installed. I have no idea if USB 3.0 is working or not. Otherwise, everything seems to be working great!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

enMTW posted:

No SIP problems. Clover disables it by default. The problems with 10.11 are related to USB, lots of changes to USB. USB3 breaks by default for lots of people. An easy fix for that will be out in the next day or two.

Your kexts will be migrated out, though. Even without SIP, AppleGraphicsControl would get tossed aside as the installer has a newer version to offer. You should switch to MacPro3,1 temporarily so you can see things (ideally, switch permanently). You can reinstall your kexts after the upgrade.

Great to know, thanks. I'll still be cautious and clone my existing 10.10 install first, but I'll try and upgrade over the weekend (I've been ridiculously busy lately). I still prefer using the cloned MacPro5,1 SMBIOS I'm using since it's seen as being (I guess?) 100% legitimate, but if the AppleGraphicsControl thing becomes a gigantic pain in the rear end I'll probably switch.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unibeast just went Clover. I have a friend who is poking around with it now. If he has anything to report about it, I will bring it back here.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

Unibeast just went Clover. I have a friend who is poking around with it now. If he has anything to report about it, I will bring it back here.

Tonycrap still doesn't seen to understand Clover. His update instructions tell you to do all sorts of stuff that there is no reason to do ;\

No easy fix for USB 3 yet. Hesitating recommending updating until that is fixed correctly.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 2, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have sent him the instruction from here a while ago, so if it doesn't work out he can use the non-turnkey method. I have never used unibeast myself so I don't know what kind of shenanigans goes on there, but if it is anything like multibeast, it would be making GBS threads kexts everywhere and have odds restrictions.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Still waiting for USB 3 fix. Should I post new instructions now or should I keep waiting?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Beeftweeter posted:

Great to know, thanks. I'll still be cautious and clone my existing 10.10 install first, but I'll try and upgrade over the weekend (I've been ridiculously busy lately). I still prefer using the cloned MacPro5,1 SMBIOS I'm using since it's seen as being (I guess?) 100% legitimate, but if the AppleGraphicsControl thing becomes a gigantic pain in the rear end I'll probably switch.

You can keep using the same serial, just change the MacPro5,1 part/board id/etc. The serial/MLB value/ROM value are what makes the machine be seen as legitimate by iCloud/iMessage/FaceTime/etc, not the Board ID/Mac model.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 3, 2015

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I've been piecing together a Mini-itx build for my next PC, I'm pretty sure it's going to revolve around a 6700k (skylake). Just need to pick up mobo, RAM, and CPU now, already have a recent nvidia card (960), ssd, power, etc.

I'm installing windows from the get-go, but I'd like to have well-supported hardware in the future so I can move to a hackintosh.

As I understand, there probably won't be decent support until Apple releases their own Skylake-based hardware, but a gigabyte board with Intel nic is probably a good prediction, right? I'm leaning toward this board, gigabyte says it will drop in the next couple weeks at US retailers.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5518
(z710, dual intel NIC, Realtek ALC1150)

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Civil posted:

I've been piecing together a Mini-itx build for my next PC, I'm pretty sure it's going to revolve around a 6700k (skylake). Just need to pick up mobo, RAM, and CPU now, already have a recent nvidia card (960), ssd, power, etc.

I'm installing windows from the get-go, but I'd like to have well-supported hardware in the future so I can move to a hackintosh.

As I understand, there probably won't be decent support until Apple releases their own Skylake-based hardware, but a gigabyte board with Intel nic is probably a good prediction, right? I'm leaning toward this board, gigabyte says it will drop in the next couple weeks at US retailers.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5518
(z710, dual intel NIC, Realtek ALC1150)

Skylake does not work yet. That board (excluding its WiFi module) will work when Skylake is supported, though. You're right on track with 'Gigabyte/Realtek ALC/Intel NIC'. My only thing to add is that Atheros's Killer NIC works great in OS X too.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 3, 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Any ideas as to what's going on here? 10.10 is working great, but the 10.11 installer reboots as soon as it reaches this point.

I've tried toggling between nvidia and integrated graphics to see if that was it, but same result.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

akadajet posted:

Any ideas as to what's going on here? 10.10 is working great, but the 10.11 installer reboots as soon as it reaches this point.

I've tried toggling between nvidia and integrated graphics to see if that was it, but same result.

Try nv_disable=1. Which GPU do you have again? That log shows the nvidia driver coming up, which you don't want if you need the web driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

enMTW posted:

Try nv_disable=1. Which GPU do you have again? That log shows the nvidia driver coming up, which you don't want if you need the web driver.

Interesting. At the moment I'm just running off integrated graphics to try to get it to work.

I have a GTX 750 Ti.

• Locked thread