Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

oh godddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
"Look it can't be me guys it just can't" Ziya argued to the rest of the very small pageant crew. "I hated Brenna. Always have and always will. There's no way I could have worked with her to do any of this. I wanted to win this crown for myself!"

While some people seemed to be convinced, Judge Cooper played the skeptic.

"Look Ziya," he said, fiddling with his bandana and coughing out a lungfull of cigarette smoke. "It just doesn't add up. While I appreciate your flair for the dramatic* I can't see either of these two dimwits being part of a conspiracy."

"WHAT?!?!" Ziya said, looking at the two other contestants. One was near the point of collapse and mumbling about Ariana Grande. The other was grumpily sitting down dreaming of a big beef 'n' cheddar.

"THIS ONE," Ziya shouted, pointing at the weezing form near her gasping for water. "It's got to be her it's..."

CLUNK

Her manic gesticulations were a bit too manic. Everyone's eyes followed the switchblade covered in bacon grease as it dropped on the pavement.

"That's enough. Take her away boys," said the policeman that was there for some reason.

As she was dragged off the crowd could hear her screaming "BRENNNNNNAAAA!"

Asiina (Ziya McDonald, the Always Second Best) Destruction-Aligned Godfather was disqualified D6!

Which means...

Fiery_Valk (Dennis Patrick Cooper, the Bandana-Wearing Writer Who Loves Footnotes) Pageant-Aligned Vanilla Judge
Hal Incandenza (Rebecca Bradford, The Girl Who Wanted Arbys) Pageant-Aligned Unconfirmed Mason
Opopanax (Wendy Carter, the Dehydrated Feminist Blogger) Pageant-Aligned Vanilla Contestant...

have won the game for town!

*Her dramatic skills reminded Cooper of one of his favorite B-movie actresses, Veronica Duchamp - a young girl plucked out of a five-and-dime in Massachusetts who went on to be the wild dame in a number of movies including "Rugburn" (1954), "Miss Cold Heart" (1954) and "The Jungle in a Woman" (1957). She eventually became a major player at Golden Studios for a while before retiring from the business to grow avocados.

It's over! Thanks for playing everybody!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh bitches I am headed to Arby's motherfuckers!

Sorry I doubted you f_v

Thanks a ton 8bux AWESOME flavor

SUCK IT ECCO

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

My biggest regret was not giving Hal the literal David Foster Wallace character flavor which I only realized on Day 3 when Poque told me of my mistake lol

On the other hand the fact that Pig literally randomly got the pig character who then visited the pig races was perfect and I love it.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Yaaaay!

I was really sweating on that result. This is the first time I've made it to LYLO as town and not hosed it up.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Sorry I doubted you f_v

You big jerkface.

Nah, only joking.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to point out

Kumbamontu posted:

So I gambled and investigated Ecco and sent the results to MMM. Unfortunately MMM died, but luckily for us I got a not town result and I've been stringing Ecco along trying to figure out who their scumbuddies are. At this point I think it's Asiina and Somber.

:dukedog:

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

fiery_valkyrie posted:

You big jerkface.

Nah, only joking.

you know you are my favorite of all the australian gals with futurama avatars

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Kumbamontu posted:

I'd like to point out

Yeah man you were a boss

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I don't generally do well as town, but I'm really happy with the outcome! Thanks everyone and to $8 for a great game as per usual :)

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

I really want to thank y'all for playing and apologize that I kind of quit with the night flavor and had delays. Life has gotten a bit crazy and busy and ooof mafiaing apparently takes a lot out of me now.

Glad people had fun though :3:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
You gave it your best shot Asiina but strategically fiery would have been the better push.

Still, this was one apathetic loving town. What the hell is wrong with you all? Why sign up for a game if you can't even participate?

Kudos to Kumba for playing me so well and for fiery for putting it all together. The rest of you are awful and should feel bad.

you did jack flipping squat all game and you should feel bad you won despite it.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Kumbamontu posted:

I'd like to point out

Yeah the weakness in my scum game is that I believe bussing is unnecessary at best and dumb at worst, which usually works out okay but if one of us goes down (especially if it's me) then it's not difficult to unravel the rest. Your investigation was on a hunch but had you investigated literally anyone else in the game it'd have ended a long time ago.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

You gave it your best shot Asiina but strategically fiery would have been the better push.

Still, this was one apathetic loving town. What the hell is wrong with you all? Why sign up for a game if you can't even participate?

Kudos to Kumba for playing me so well and for fiery for putting it all together. The rest of you are awful and should feel bad.

you did jack flipping squat all game and you should feel bad you won despite it.

No Ecco, your bullshit is what screwed us. Please take this as a lesson that bussing works.

We also should have killed pig when you were alive and let Kumba do the investigation since I wanted to get investigated so I could be cleared. If Somber was going to be a sacrifice anyway, then there was no reason to kill Kumba before he could say that I was town.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Kumbamontu posted:

I'd like to point out

I know I said it in the game but I just wanted to point out again that I only realised who the scum were because of you.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Eight Dollars posted:

I really want to thank y'all for playing and apologize that I kind of quit with the night flavor and had delays. Life has gotten a bit crazy and busy and ooof mafiaing apparently takes a lot out of me now.

Glad people had fun though :3:

Thanks for the game.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Asiina posted:

We also should have killed pig when you were alive and let Kumba do the investigation since I wanted to get investigated so I could be cleared. If Somber was going to be a sacrifice anyway, then there was no reason to kill Kumba before he could say that I was town.

To be fair Kumba also had only two shots of his power (which was my attempt to limit it since I thought it was a bit powerful) so he couldn't have used it anyway. Though if he had a third he was going to cop you!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

EccoRaven posted:

It's true, I was never going to vote for Opop but I would have had a real hard time choosing between asiina and f_v. A harder time anyway.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

EccoRaven posted:

pffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttt

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Just saying, guys, I called Asiina as scum on day 1. You're welcome.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Go team!

Told y'all it was Ecco and Asiina. :colbert:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

No Ecco, your bullshit is what screwed us. Please take this as a lesson that bussing works.

Nah none of this is actually true.

- In a small game mafia are inherently advantaged by numbers alone; bussing each other in a game gripped with apathy on the off-chance a cop would investigate one of us is not a good strategy.

- Killing Kumba made the most strategic sense because we believed he could send the investigation result to another player (probably Hal). You didn't get cleared not because we shouldn't have killed Kumba, you didn't get cleared because Kumba only had two shots (again not something we could have anticipated but which also negates this point).

- Killing Pig when I was still alive after the no-hang made no sense since it didn't fundamentally change the number of days we'd need to continue going to win the game. (And notice that the failed kill on Pig only meant Hal was alive at endgame, and he remained pretty ineffectual so it wasn't a bad thing).

We lost because Kumba investigated me and the town wasn't willing to consider the (totally reasonable!) alternate hypothesis. Somber was a done deal and you should have bussed him harder, and you should have gone after fiery instead of Opop entirely because Hal said he was on the fence between the two but fiery came out swinging for you. You were never going to convince her to vote Opop, your winning influence would have been Hal.

That's why I said in the scumdoc to not vote first; you gotta make sure what the voting situation is like first. Once fiery settled on you and Hal said he didn't suspect him, Opop was impossible.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
No Ecco, your plan screwed us and Somber and I just didn't feel like arguing with you when you came into the scumdoc on D1 and literally said "I'm the leader, I'm taking over". Look at how fv was able to convince herself and Hal based on yours and Sombers posts, not mine. You don't need to hard bus each other, but having absolutely nothing negative said about your scumbuddies is bad and if one of you dies it dooms the rest of the team.

Also considering you said in the scumdoc just before you died, and I quote

quote:

kill pig tonight.
kill hal tomorrow night (nobody will think this was a Hard Bus)
and please for the love of gosh do that, because the only way to throw the game is to kill someone other than those people
once I die remember somber you are totally expendable. it's totally ok for you to get axed tomorrow in the name of Progress
the ideal endgame would be Opop vs. Asiina vs. fiery
if that happens, Asiina, don't vote. Don't vote don't vote don't vote. Vote for whoever votes you first, but the chance of fiery voting Opop and vice versa is actually really, really high
also, I am guessing, based on nobody saying "oh hey Somber is scum," that you did indeed get investigated last night Asiina
so as long as you don't rock the boat further you're golden

yeah getting a vote on Opop should be really really easy
tomorrow Asiina you can push Somber, enjoy that you got investigated (and that it was probably given to Hal who will survive tomorrow)
remember the ideal is to have fiery and Opop be in exlo, as long as that happens you should be golden
kill the pig tonight, tomorrow vote Somber with everyone else (or gosh yes Opop would be GREAT too!), then kill Hal tomorrow night.
good luck team~ I gave it my best but sometimes your best isn't good enough and that's okay.

But nice revisionist history there acting like I blew it when it was totally obvious!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Just saying, guys, I called Asiina as scum on day 1. You're welcome.

Your case was still awful. Stopped clock, etc.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
It's hard to convey that gut feeling to others

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

But nice revisionist history there acting like I blew it when it was totally obvious!

I literally never said you blew it Asiina. You gave it your best shot! We were hosed once Kumba made the claim and nobody was willing to seriously consider that he was mistaken.

But if you want to bring up our scumdoc I want to point out something I said:

"if that happens, Asiina, don't vote. Don't vote don't vote don't vote. Vote for whoever votes you first"

...entirely because of the risk of fiery voting you. Locking yourself in to Opop was not the strategically-optimal move. I also told you to push for Somber (rather than just hammer him once it was a done-deal), because when we're under the magnifying glass bussing makes strategic sense. But we were in a bad situation though so it wasn't your fault, I don't blame you and you shouldn't blame yourself.

Likewise keeping Kumba alive didn't make any strategic sense. Day 3 happens and night 3 begins. Kumba is either town or scum, but nobody thought Kumba was scum, and nobody would have believed me if I made a case as such since he had a pretty townie posting history this game. If he was town, then, why would scum keep him alive, especially when the doc is contained? It would have to be for a strategic reason, and the most obvious one is godfather. Keeping Kumba alive would have negated any town investigation on you he'd have received.

I'm sorry you're mad at me for this loss but it wasn't my fault, it was Kumba getting a lucky investigation.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
A cop getting a guilty investigation isn't just random luck though, it's what cops should do which is why you distance yourself from your scumbuddies. Plans that only work if you can get a flawless victory are not good plans. You want to hide the relationships at least a little.

And the not voting only works in 3-man lylo where you can hope for a bad vote. It doesn't work at 4-man since you need two votes and both Hal and fv started the day saying they wanted to vote for me, so yeah I had to do what I could, and if I suddenly switched from 3 days of "vote opop" to "vote fv" that would have been weird and fake.

And keeping Kumba alive was, once again, more about killing Pig while we still had a roleblocker which would have made sense after you flipped.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

woo

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

A cop getting a guilty investigation isn't just random luck though, it's what cops should do which is why you distance yourself from your scumbuddies. Plans that only work if you can get a flawless victory are not good plans. You want to hide the relationships at least a little.

I suppose this is true for this game, but it's just my experience that more often than not it's better to not bus. That's especially true in games where the town is apathetic as all get-out, since they're not actively trying to hunt you down, they're just listlessly floating from day to day. On average the best case for bussing is nobody notices and it didn't matter, at worst it sparks a townie to say "hey that's right this player IS scum" and then we're down a player and a role with little to actually gain but some cred (and warm bodies are ALWAYS better than cred).

Townies also love thinking scum bus each other way more than they actually do; whenever a scumbuddy goes down it's generally not difficult to find a townie to frame for bussing (while you in turn begin actually bussing your teammates). fiery's d1 vote would have been a good example of this since she backed down from it so quickly.

Asiina posted:

And the not voting only works in 3-man lylo where you can hope for a bad vote. It doesn't work at 4-man since you need two votes and both Hal and fv started the day saying they wanted to vote for me, so yeah I had to do what I could, and if I suddenly switched from 3 days of "vote opop" to "vote fv" that would have been weird and fake.
Nah it holds true in any situation where you're on the last day of the game, not just 3 vs 4. Hal and fv coming in saying they wanted to vote you (and saying they didn't want to vote Opop) should have been a sign that you need to be very, very strategic. You could say something like "I looked into fiery and I suddenly realized she's scummy af. <reasons reasons reasons>. I still don't like Opop but fiery is a good choice for today." That would have kept Opop's vote in play, and might have been enough to persuade Hal.

But again, it was a hard situation for us. I don't blame you for the loss at all, but likewise I don't think it's fair to blame me.

Asiina posted:

And keeping Kumba alive was, once again, more about killing Pig while we still had a roleblocker which would have made sense after you flipped.
Except once the town no-hanged killing Pig didn't become a priority; if Pig managed to block a kill that'd suck but it wouldn't actually change the number of days left for us to win, and Pig wasn't going to live long enough to protect someone strategic anyway. Keeping Kumba alive would have just clued in the town that the scum are either not playing optimally, or are deliberately trying to get investigated.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

aw

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

is there a scumdoc link?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
There is, but I don't think it's locked yet, so I guess wait for 8bux?

This was just so frustrating because it was incredibly obvious that we were doomed as soon as Ecco got investigated because of this strategy. It's been about a week of a slow inevitable loss.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

Nah it holds true in any situation where you're on the last day of the game, not just 3 vs 4. Hal and fv coming in saying they wanted to vote you (and saying they didn't want to vote Opop) should have been a sign that you need to be very, very strategic. You could say something like "I looked into fiery and I suddenly realized she's scummy af. <reasons reasons reasons>. I still don't like Opop but fiery is a good choice for today." That would have kept Opop's vote in play, and might have been enough to persuade Hal.

Neither of them said they wouldn't vote Opop until after the game was over, so no, this doesn't hold true at all.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

When I was reading ecco again this morning I realised how many posts of yours she was rebutting and how much you had right early in the game, so dont let ecco make you feel bad.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Asiina posted:

There is, but I don't think it's locked yet, so I guess wait for 8bux?

This was just so frustrating because it was incredibly obvious that we were doomed as soon as Ecco got investigated because of this strategy. It's been about a week of a slow inevitable loss.

Yeah, I think by day 3 most everyone had at least 2 scum figured out so once you couldn't get me killed that day it was going to be a tough spot.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

Neither of them said they wouldn't vote Opop until after the game was over, so no, this doesn't hold true at all.

Hal said repeatedly throughout the game "I don't think it's Opop." Fiery comes out against you swinging. Yeah they didn't say "it's fiery vs. Asiina in my heart!" but it quickly became that.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

EccoRaven posted:

Hal said repeatedly throughout the game "I don't think it's Opop." Fiery comes out against you swinging. Yeah they didn't say "it's fiery vs. Asiina in my heart!" but it quickly became that.

I was worried about this scenario, but I did think that my interactions with yourself and Somber looked better than Asiina's.

Also, it was very lame of Somber to not play the game.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Also, it was very lame of Somber to not play the game.

Yeah it was. It was very lame for a lot of people to not play this game. In the scumdoc on night 3 I asked $8 if he'd consider asking the town for a mulligan since everyone just seemed so apathetic. I'm sorry you were shouting into the void so often (and when you weren't it was often to me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
This was a fun game even though I became unavailable at the beginning.

I was overjoyed at my awesome flavor.

Thanks 8bux!

• Locked thread