Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borsche69
May 8, 2014

While speaking with GamesRadar, Fallout 4 game director Todd Howard explained why Bethesda is including voiced main characters — male and female — for the newest game in the series, which is a big change from the third installment. "We know we sacrificed some great storytelling [in Fallout 3 by allowing] the player to do whatever they want," he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

And lead designer Emil Pagliarulo reinforced Howard's statement, saying spoken dialogue adds to the "emotional depth" of Fallout 4. "If you play Fallout 3, you know, Liam Neeson is the voice of your dad, and there are some good emotional beats there, but there's only so much you can do when you're clicking on a line of dialog and there's no spoken response," Pagliarulo said.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

"So the emotional depth that we got by having a voiced protagonist has actually [made the story] way more tense than I ever expected."

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
"Somebody stop me" - Todd Howard

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
We know we sacrificed some great storytelling [in Fallout 3 by allowing] the player to do whatever they want

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

elf help book posted:

We know we sacrificed some great storytelling [in Fallout 3 by allowing] the player to do whatever they want

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

lol that quote is real

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
They sacrificed the ability to tell a compelling story, and are attempting to bring that to Fallout 4 by adding a player voice and delivery without at the same time sacrificing player freedom of choice. I don't see anything wrong with it, OP. Fallout 4 is going to blow your moms rear end.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

Dec 26, 2012

elf help book posted:

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

elf help book posted:

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
gently caress you Borsche you Ravens loving gently caress, FO4 is going to own, get hosed!!!

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Brazzers.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Borsche69 posted:

"So the emotional depth that we got by having a voiced protagonist has actually [made the story] way more tense than I ever expected."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

elf help book posted:

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
How much money would it take to make Todd Howard just disappear without a trace and replace Bethesda with Obsidian?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

rope kid? more like mope kid.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

elf help book posted:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

elf help book posted:

:frogsiren:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

elf help book posted:

[in Fallout 3 by allowing]

elf help book posted:

the player to do whatever they want

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hmm, the quote is real

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
can't wait for every player decision to be do it the nice way or do it the mean way for more reward and if you did it the mean way even once you get the ending where it turns out that you were actually a hellish warlord and sent humanity back to the stone age

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Fallout 4 is gonna be fun.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

elf help book posted:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Borsche69 posted:

"there's only so much you can do when you're clicking on a line of dialog and there's no spoken response," Pagliarulo said.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
help

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

new vegas, desecrating a grave: "Your brother was a little bitch, and you are too"
Fallout 4: X - Aggressive, A- Passive, B - Apologetic

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bobnumerotres posted:

new vegas, desecrating a grave: "Your brother was a little bitch, and you are too"

RT- Awesome

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

trying to jack off posted:

lol that quote is real

*rapidly petrifies from aids*

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

pressing the aggressive button will just do that first thing though.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm playing through fo3 right now, and i can't imagine there being less freedom outside of there being discrete levels and no dialogue options

Dec 26, 2012

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
all of the dialogue in FO3 is essentially GOOD / BAD / NEUTRAL anyway. what more could they possibly do to restrict it?

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

all of the dialogue in FO3 is essentially GOOD / BAD / NEUTRAL anyway. what more could they possibly do to restrict it?

[Intelligence 8]

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

elf help book posted:

Borsche69 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

• Locked thread