Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
This is the non-spoiler thread for the weekly episode discussion!

Big Brother US airs three-times weekly, on Sundays, Wednesdays and Thursdays on CBS.

Thursday Show - Live Show where a player is evicted, Head of Household competition held or begins
Sunday Show - Post-HOH Competition events, Possible Have-Not Comp, Initial Nominations
Wednesday Show - Veto Competition, Re-nominations if needed

The season starts June 24th! The theme for this season is a "twist a week", however what format those will take is still unknown.

What is Big Brother?

Depending upon your level of appreciation for gross filth, reality TV shenanigans and sometimes excellent strategic gameplay, Big Brother is either the bottom of the TV barrel or an entertaining way to waste the summer. The American version of the Dutch original, Big Brother crams 14-16 people in a soundstage house for approximately 90 days. Each week the players or "Houseguests" will compete in competitions to determine who has power in the house. The one who wins this power, the "Head of Household" (HOH) has the ability to nominate two people for eviction. These two players, the HOH and three other randomly drawn guests will compete in the Power of Veto competition. The winner of this power will have the ability to veto one of the nominations. If one of the nominations is vetoed, the HOH will have to replace the player who was removed. Once the final two nominees are set, the rest of the house will vote to evict one person from the game. The HOH no longer plays a part unless this vote becomes a tie, in which case they will cast a vote to break it. Once the player is evicted, all the guests save for the previous HOH will compete in a new HOH competition and the process will repeat itself.

Each week will follow this model with some minor variations. All through this process viewers are treated to "Diary Room" (DR) sessions, as the producers will privately speak with each player about their gameplay, their thoughts on other players and the game itself. This interview process also gives the DR the ability to affect the players in subtle or not so subtle ways. (Ex: So you won HOH, who will you nominate? Do you trust player X? Why? Do you believe what they say? Do you think you should make a big move? Is nominating player X really a big move?) The best part of this is that their usually comes across on the live feeds, allowing viewers to see from where plans and moves really come.

Strategy will come into play as alliances are made and broken to ensure ones safety. Unlike some shows like Survivor, this gives the chance for those low on the totem pole to gain power and strike back against majority alliances. Approximately 4-5 weeks into the game, all future evicted players will become members of the jury. Once the house reaches the final three, all three Houseguests will compete in three rounds of competition for the final HOH. Once the final HOH is selected, they'll evict the final player. These final two will then go before the jury, who will then select a winner. The various competitions within the house means there are often several opportunities for people to obtain power and exploit it or fake sucking at competitions to fly under the radar. Both strategies often prove successful to various degrees. The strategy sessions among players often prove to be one of the best aspects of the show, as you get a daily running idea of who they are targeting, who they can manipulate to do certain things and ways to ensure they achieve their goals. There is also a generally reliable amount of schadenfreude, as those on the top often hit lows through luck or DR meddling.

Why should I watch?

Perhaps you're a fan or Survivor or Amazing Race or perhaps you've seen one of the other flavors of Big Brother from around the world like the U.K., Canadian or Australian edition. Big Brother U.S. takes many of the same concepts seen in reality competition while also giving one a semi-behind the scenes view of what's really going on. Because the online "live feeds" gives viewers a window into the house for 90% of the week, we can get a good idea of what's really happening with alliances and schemes, what the players are actually like, and what meddling is possibly happening by Big Brother to get certain things to happen. One can then compare that version of reality against what they see on their screens three nights a week on CBS. In past experience, this means that viewers are sometimes treated to racist, homophobic or sexist talk which never makes air. Sometimes this happens to such a degree as to force CBS to acknowledge these actions officially and on air, as was the case with Big Brother 15.

Unlike the original Dutch version and several other international versions, the viewing public generally has no part to play in removing players from the game. However they can affect certain punishments ore rewards through online or phone voting. This can include the gross food choices for the Have Not competition losers, or possibly secret tasks assigned to the House Guests.

What should I watch?

If you're interested in looking into past seasons, I personally recommend checking out a couple of seasons to various degrees. They'll all available through CBS All Access on the cbs.com website:

Big Brother 1: Most closely followed the original Dutch premise, as viewers voted on who got evicted. The only U.S. season to follow this model.
Big Brother 2: Switched up the format to have the HOH nominate two for eviction and features one of the most highly regarded players in show history.
Big Brother 3: Introduced the Power of Veto, which gave the nominated a better chance to save themselves. BB US took on its present form with this season.
Big Brother 7: The first and only true All Stars season. Featured players from all the previous seasons, and includes one of the fan favorite alliances in show history.
Big Brother 10: General Goon consensus as one of the best seasons, featuring a memorable cast and another contestant in the running for the best in show history.
Big Brother 12: Worthy winner, with some solid gameplay. Features subsequent Survivor player Hayden Moss and unleashed Brenchel, the now married couple of Brendon and Rachel who you might have seen on The Amazing Race.
Big Brother 14: Return of four previous players who act as "Coaches" to newbies. One of the returnees being a fan favorite who displays some of the best gameplay in show history. Also features the brother of Survivor player Russell Hantz, who lives up to the family reputation.
Big Brother 16: Solid gameplay from the eventual winner, who ran a clinic on how not to get targeted.

Seasons to avoid:

Big Brother 9: Slap dash writers strike spring season. The winner later went to jail for illegal oxycodone sales, the rest of the cast was all generally horrible. Possibly worthwhile as a train wreck.
Big Brother 15: The Misogynist and Racist season. The winner played a decent game, but they and most of the players were generally derogatory and deluded people.

Okay, I'm down to watch

If you're interested, you can tune in several ways:

The CBS Show: Airs three nights a week: Sunday, Wednesday and Thursday. Is a compilation version of what has happened in the house with a live Thursday show.
Big Brother After Dark: Airs every night for three hours from around 11-2 on POP. Rotates between live feeds, censors language and has commercial breaks.
Live Feeds Online through CBS All Access: "24/7" access to the feeds barring ceremonies, competitions and the Thursday live show taping. Also blanks out feeds when some legal issue may arise. i.e. copyrighted song singing or players speaking about someone by name who didn't sign off and allow that.
CBS also provides clips of various memorable events through their Live Streaming Player.

So what do the Live Feeds get you? Four camera feeds from inside the house. Generally two cameras focusing on an area each. Meaning two cameras will cover the same conversation from different angles, while two other cameras cover another conversation. Which room is being covered will be at the mercy of the guys and gals in the control room. They are generally good about switching to conversations/events most at interest strategically or those the most entertaining. It should be noted that live feeds are not required to get a feel for the show or keep up, but it might be of interest to check out one of the previous seasons, then look for live feed clips online to see how it works. If you do find you enjoy a certain player, the feeds give you the ability to see them a lot more, get a better sense of their game and personality.

If you don't get the feeds, you can also still get a daily/hourly/minute by minute run down of what's happening. As several websites post updates on everything that happens on the live feeds within the house. These include:

http://www.bigbrothernetwork.com/
http://www.hamsterwatch.com
http://www.jokersupdates.com
http://www.onlinebigbrother.com

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The House Guests:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_brother/cast/

Teek fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 24, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I think we should establish that people who watch the feeds need to not post ANYTHING that didn't make the air until right after the live eviction episode. Then we are all caught up and they can provide background information if they want.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

That's actually something we should discuss, as there are rare times when backstory may not even be used by the Thursday show, and may be held over a few episodes. I seem to recall that happening a few times last season.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Teek posted:

That's actually something we should discuss, as there are rare times when backstory may not even be used by the Thursday show, and may be held over a few episodes. I seem to recall that happening a few times last season.

We could just say no non-broadcast stuff at all. If people want to know more they can go to one of the many websites to find that information.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It does happen sometimes. I remember last year the Christine/Cody "showmance" was ignored for awhile by the show even though it was a big story in the house and on the feeds. Then the show went all in and focused a couple of episodes on it. I think they glossed over some of the Caleb/Amber stalking for awhile too until it became a major game issue. And then there was BB15 where the show pretty much ignored how unstable Amanda was until she had a psychotic break that probably seemed like it came out of nowhere to the show watchers but was well built for the feed watchers.

I do my best not to spoil anything in here. If I ever do you should yell at me, suspend me, whatever. Mostly I just tend to try and avoid this thread until Eviction night when we're all caught up. That seems like the safest way to do it. But that doesn't help if the show holds off things as they sometimes do.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
You also forgot season 4, the Jun season.

I don't want to look on jokers but did Christine's marriage fall apart after that?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't follow this stuff during the offseason but from what I remember her husband was cool with it all. It was creepy and weird but they never hooked up or anything.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This thread for discussion during the episode?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Crossposting this from the other thread, because you all deserve to know who's playing:

Audrey Middleton

She looks like a 50 year old with botched plastic surgery.

"I will not float. I will make bold moves and I will get blood on my hands. Heads will roll!"

She compares herself to Dexter Morgan.

:stare:

Austin Matelson
Hometown: Woodland Hills, California
Current City: Woodland Hills, California

Austin grew up with four younger siblings, all girls. His parents were hippies who let him stop going to school before eighth grade! Although he was never pushed to study, he was always self-disciplined and got up at 6 AM to read and exercise. It paid off, as he later received a master's degree in medieval history and fulfilled his childhood dream of becoming a pro wrestler. He is known as the wrestler Judas. His looks are deceiving, as he is a flower child who does a yoga stance as opposed to beating down his opponent.

I just can't.

But the internet can.

The Internet posted:

For a time period, Matelson was contracted to wrestle for WWE, working in its NXT developmental system, before parting ways with the company as a consequence of injuries. It was after his tenure with WWE in that he gained notoriety, speaking out against former NXT head coach Bill DeMott. In a memo sent to WWE executives that was after made public, Matelson says bullying, neglect, & homophobic & racist remarks made by DeMott. Though he’s recurrently denied the claims made against him, DeMott after resigned from his position to “avoid any embarrassment of damage to the WWE.” For their part, WWE stated in a press release (via What Culture), “WWE took the accusations made two years of time ago by Austin Matelson very seriously, conducted a full investigation and was unable to validate the claims. Regardless, WWE continues to reinforce policies and procedures to ensure a positive training environment.”

So go ask Wrestlehut about how the WWE screwed over this guy I guess. Keep in mind that "dudes who were screwed over by WWE" are a dime a dozen, so CBS forked over about a penny for this one.

Becky Burgess

On the outside, Becky is the "All American" girl next door who the men will fall in love with and the girls will want to befriend, but inside she's a strategic and aggressive...

Next.

Clay Honeycutt
Hometown: Texas
Current City: Texas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFuwS9M7jkQ

Da'Vonne Rogers

As a poker dealer, she has studied the game and done the competitions along with the Houseguests while watching the show. She knows she needs to learn each person well, even though she doesn't like to team-up with people. She knows she can only trust herself. A super tomboy growing up,

Whoa. She might not suck.

she is a strong woman and a single mom. Not worried about the opinions of others, she is doing this for her daughter

...never mind.

Jace Agolli

Hometown: Dunwoody, Georgia
Current City: Venice Beach

considers himself a modern-day adventurer who models his life after Indiana Jones. He loves his new life in sunny Venice Beach

:frogout:

James Huling

James spent the first part of his life being raised in a boys’ home in South Carolina after his mother passed away from cancer and his father was unable to care for him. In his early teens, he was adopted by a Caucasian family and has called them mom and dad since. James loves his southern roots and served six years in the armed forces.

...aw. Okay, as long as he's not a d-bag I think this guy is my pony. Also, he is three feet tall.

Jason Roy

Jason may be short and skinny, but this Massachusetts boy has got a big mouth on him.

Stop.

Never one to shy away from conflict,

no

Still living at home with his mother

of course

Jason wouldn't be caught dead lounging around the Big Brother house in his pajamas all day; he's got too much style and sass for that.

:cripes:

John McGuire

John (aka Johnny Mac, the Rock Star Dentist)

Stop.

is unlike any other dentist. He is loud, obnoxious

No, actually that is like every dentist ever. Hey, guess what, your fingers and myriad sharp implements are in my mouth right now so no I wouldn't really like to tell you about my plans for the weekend. Thanks.

is excited to have a few showmances. Single and proud of it, if any girl wants more of a relationship, he has a sure-fire way of getting out of it—he'll start acting completely annoying and geeky, so they end up dumping him and no hearts are broken.

In Big Brother, getting dumped is called getting evicted and losing. Happy to help.

He wants to win so he can save his parents’ lake house

Poor baby.

Liz Nolan
Hometown: Miami
Current City: Miami

Miami...Miami nightlife circuit...
thinks she's a loving genius for graduating college...god this girl is so loving boring. She will make it to final five and ruin the season.

Meg Maley
Hometown: Collingswood, New Jersey
Current City: New York City

Meg says growing up in New Jersey was the best time of her life.

Next.

Shelli Poole

Shelli has been in relationships for as far back as she can remember and got married when she was 28 years old. After just a year, Shelli divorced her husband only to hop right back into a relationship with a childhood friend. Last summer, she was watching Big Brother and told her boyfriend at the time she wanted to apply. He mocked her, and that was enough for Shelli to push her dreams aside.

Because she is a doormat.

Shelli is now single, living on her own as a successful career woman, and stopping at nothing to fulfill her dream of entering the Big Brother house.

Where she will immediately become a doormat.

Steve Moses

Often compared to Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory,

Hi, goons.

Steve is a genius

doubtful

who learned early on how to kiss up to his high-school teachers and manipulate them into giving him top recommendations for Cornell, the Ivy League university where he ended up studying Mechanical Engineering.

They weren't manipulated. They were sick of his poo poo and wanted him to go away.

He may be a 22-year-old virgin who doesn't drink or smoke,

Hi, goons.

but that doesn't stop Steve from being the wildest and loudest guy in his fraternity.

They're not laughing with you, Steve. Trust me. They're not.

This master of disguise and manipulation's strategy is to play the "childlike, less intelligent young virgin who sleeps with his teddy bear.”

Next he'll try to tell the confessional booth that wetting the bed "wasn't an accident."

gently caress those pants.

Vanessa Rousso
Hometown: Las Vegas
Current City: Las Vegas

Vanessa is the No. 2 female poker player in the world when it comes to online and live tournaments. She's been pro for the past 10 years and has won $4.5 million dollars since she began.

So, those pants probably cost more than I'll make all week. Great.

She'll either be pretty good, or she'll overplay and go home immediately. I'd have more schadenfreude for her, but all of the other girls are even worse.

But loving seriously. She should use some of that $4.5m to hire a loving stylist. You don't look cool, V. But have fun when the goon tries losing his virginity to you.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Did the black girl say her strategy was to have her "main apple scrapple" and her "ride and die"? What does that mean?

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

blue squares posted:

Did the black girl say her strategy was to have her "main apple scrapple" and her "ride and die"? What does that mean?

She wants somebody who's her real ally to the end and someone she's just using

Can't really plan that kind of thing for sure though.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

10 seconds in and Allie wants to jump on Clay.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

These people are shockingly not bad

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

2 HoH, Battle of the Block, godamn it this season is going to suck

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Oh great battle of the block again. Let's bring back the twist that made people terrified to do anything interesting.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

No! gently caress!

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

blue squares posted:

2 HoH, Battle of the Block, godamn it this season is going to suck

hey now, its the "fan favorite" twist ok

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Jocasta was more of a fan favorite than the battle of the block

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

gently caress BOTB... no way was that mess a "fan favorite".

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

In other news, Jeff Probst hired as Big Brother Twist Consultant

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Ugh Kevin Frazier...

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This is so lame

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I don't like anyone so far and the only eye candy is going to be obsessed with Clay. I guess there are 4 more to come in though, and redneck asian has potential.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

This comp is really boring.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

I don't like anyone so far and the only eye candy is going to be obsessed with Clay. I guess there are 4 more to come in though, and redneck asian has potential.

Anyone getting a Danielle Donato vibe from Shelli?

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Robnoxious posted:

YES thank you that was driving me crazy. I knew she looked like someone.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Robnoxious posted:

Visually yeah, hopefully she doesn't turn into season 9 Natalie.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

They are really going to run this poo poo into the ground. This is not going to be a strategic season

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Battle of the block is dumber and worse than anything else they can possibly come up with

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
UGH project dna

*fart*

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Oh look, Grodner's only ever sucessful twist returns.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

So any word on ways Canadians can get access to the live feeds this year?

I bought them for the first time last year and really enjoyed them (for the most part). CBS changing things to it's "All Access" shenanigans screwed us Canucks over.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Wee Bairns posted:

So any word on ways Canadians can get access to the live feeds this year?

I bought them for the first time last year and really enjoyed them (for the most part). CBS changing things to it's "All Access" shenanigans screwed us Canucks over.

Do the same thing we Yanks have to do with BBCanada... install the free Hola browser plug-in or buy a few months with a US VPN.
Hola worked just fine for the streams on Global.

Use a U.S. zip code in your CBS.Com profile (just Google an address of a hotel in the States and roll with that).

Or wait it out because I don't see CBS refusing money even if it's Canadian money. They might offer a crippled version of All Access that let's only BB through but it'll take a week or two of people bitching to get CBS to make adjustments.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 25, 2015

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Oof, I am going to give the season time to play out since I am an addict and all, but so far it reeks of just cramming all the twists they can into the game for DRAMA!! and in turn killing off strategic play.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Decent start to the season, hoping that the BOB only lasts this first week.

Hoping the twin twist gets brought up by someone who remembers it, should make for some good paranoia.

Also fairly certain I saw Andrea from Survivor seasons 22 and 26 in Meg's intro. Which I'm guessing would make Meg a recruit.

Teek fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 25, 2015

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
Ughhhh, not the terrible double HoH garbage again. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it's going to be an all summer thing. :[ Why does CBS hate us?

On the upside, I don't hate any HGs yet.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Teek posted:

Decent start to the season, hoping that the BOB only lasts this first week.

Hoping the twin twist gets brought up by someone who remembers it, should make for some good paranoia.

Also fairly certain I saw Andrea from Survivor seasons 22 and 26 in Meg's intro. Which I'm guessing would make Meg a recruit.

You are in fact correct that was Andrea. Everything about Meg screams poo poo I hate so it's no surprise that she is great friends with another lovely reality contestant Andrea Boehlke.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

SweetJahasus posted:

You are in fact correct that was Andrea. Everything about Meg screams poo poo I hate so it's no surprise that she is great friends with another lovely reality contestant Andrea Boehlke.

Yep, shut up Meg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, I'm going to try and be hopeful and pray that BotB is only 1 week because its actually the first of the BB Takeover twists. It will go this week and cause a lot of chaos with four nominees and a ton of scrambling but after the first eviction as they're gearing up for HOH the Takeover alarm goes off and its announced that BotB is gone and is being replaced with God knows what.

Lets just all sit and pray that that happens because GOD drat DOES BOTB SUCK AND IT BASICALLY RUINED LAST SEASON!!!

Otherwise I'm good with this start. No one really rubbed me too wrong early on. Da'vonne seems like she might be the first over player and Austin reminded me early on of Frankie Grande in that he's a full time performer and he seemed like he'd spend way too much time "on". Sure, Meg could be really annoying and Audrey reminded me of BB15 Amanda just enough to scare me. But none of that was more than a first impression and overall everyone seemed fine.

And I'll wait until the twists ruin things to get mad. Like I said, I'm hoping the BotB is just part of BB Takeover and will be gone soon and I don't think the Twin Twist really directly impacts gameplay all that much until a new person enters the game. So I'm gonna just be optimistic here and not like BotB ruin things because I actually got weirdly excited for the return of this stupid, time sucking, trashy tv show.

Please don't be horrible to the transgender girl. We could really do with a season without some horrible side of humanity on display.

• Locked thread