Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In the grand scheme of things Steve is a pretty mediocre winner and in terms of the whole BB17 field he definitely wasn't one of the strongest players of the season... but he won when he had to, made the big moves he had to make, and ultimately handled the jury right. I cracked up when he starting kissing Jackie's rear end during it calling her such a strong player and Jackie just started nodding and glowing. He recognized the need to play to people and he highlighted some key stuff he did like the Scamper Squad and the faked Austin feud which helped cut down the idea of him being a floater. Liz did a bad a job and clearly wasn't prepared, and ultimately its what did her in there. She probably could have made a stronger case if she had been better prepared and swung some votes (I think Meg was up for grabs but I don't know if there was a fifth one for her). But she didn't and Steve did so he's a deserving enough winner.

Vanessa would have been "more deserving" and it kind of sucks she was done in by that crapshoot F3 leg but that's the game. All in all it was a really good season with a number of strong (if flawed) players and an ok (if mediocre) winner. So I'm left satisfied.

And good on James for winning AFP. He was the most entertaining guy for the feeds and an underrated player. I'm glad he beat out Johnny Mac. Super glad something weird didn't happen like a Meg win.

Here's to 9 months of freedom before my addiction takes me over again. Good season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Here's to 9 months of freedom before my addiction takes me over again. Good season.
A big :patriot: to you STAC Goat and all that you do with the live feed posts.
This guy has been on the pulse of the feeds all Summer long.
Even when I think I had a jump, STAC Goat was able to summarize and succinctly describe what went down.
Bravo good goon. Bravo.

I used to spend countless nights following and posting about the feeds and showing up late or zombiefied for work the next day because of this drat worthless addictive stupid show and I am proud they are and have been within well capable hands.

You deserve your 9 month cat nap now (hopefully, not the crazy cat variety).
;)

See ya next Summer, you little sleep deprived psycho.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

Shneak posted:

It sucks to see Vanessa lose like that after masterminding this cast to its core

Well she sure didn't mastermind Steve at the end. And it cost her grievously.

If you're in a Final 3 situation and one of those other two want you gone then your social game was not airtight.

Robnoxious posted:

Vanessa started to believe her moves were so magnanimous and virtuous that she didn't need to tell us, the viewers, that she was throwing mad shade and was slitting throats for sport.

It's possible Derrick/Vanessa were so paranoid that they were afraid of tipping their hand to production, such that they knowingly chose to play cartoon characters that "HAVE to win this veto!" in the DR instead of detailing their thoughts and plans to the meddling cameras.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Tellah posted:

It's possible Derrick/Vanessa were so paranoid that they were afraid of tipping their hand to production, such that they knowingly chose to play cartoon characters that "HAVE to win this veto!" in the DR instead of detailing their thoughts and plans to the meddling cameras.
If coming clean and "owning your game" to the home viewer is a detriment, then that falls squarely upon production onto wanting to meddle and that isn't a good thing either.

If Grodner and Company take DRs to steer and manufacture a storyboard then that's on them and shame on them for doing so.
Dan owned up to every move he made during the Coaching Season and he made final 2.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
It would definitely not be a good thing.

I'm not sure which side I land on when it comes to 'production interference' but having watched Frankie solo that BotB last season I know how I'd behave if I were in Vanessa's position. So I can't really blame her even if her DRs were categorically boring.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm happy my sick obsession is appreciated. :)
Even happier it gets a rest.

I never thought Derrick was that bad about denying what he was doing. He had his moments of self righteousness with Donny when he wasn't buying Derrick's BS and its probably the reason Donny was the one guy who really felt burnt by Derrick, but for the most part i think Derrick more or less owned that he was (a) playing a game and (b) there for him and his family and no one else. He walked into that house making it clear he wasn't there to make friends or entertain anyone. He was there to bring money home to his family.

Vanessa never really came to terms with that because I don't think she ever really had that same motivation. Vanessa wanted to win and in order to win she was willing to play one of the dirtiest and most complicated games in BB history. But she wasn't driven by some "honorable" need or motivation like family. She's just a gaming addict who wants to win. So she had a hard time rationalizing how dirty she was playing without getting all self righteous about poo poo. But I don't think she was lying to us, I think she was lying to herself. Stuff like her sobbing when she evicted Austin I think was genuine guilt. She'll need to get some distance and perspective to come to terms with all that but I think she will. Afterall she fully admitted she was going to betray Steve and didn't seem too defensive about Jason's accusation. She'll just probably need to catch her breath and reflect on things before she says "Yeah, I played dirty as poo poo."

I actually don't know that her Liz vote was bitter. She said most of the season that she wanted a woman to win, that she loved Liz, and that she respected Liz as a player. She was never really very complimentary of Steve at all. I don't think Vanessa EVER really respected Steve's game and the one person he couldn't win over by evicting Vanessa is Vanessa.

But ultimately it didn't really factor in. I'm not sure what she could have done to change the results of this final HOH, barring just guessing right on one or two more questions. There's probably a number of decisions she can second guess like whether she should have thrown that first HOH to Liz and tried to beat Steve in the second or whether she should have booted Steve at F5 and taken her chances with Liztin. But she micro managed her whole game to death, got a ton of blood on her hands, and in the end she had to win to survive. She did it at F4 and F5, she just couldn't do it at the much harder F3.

Also, minor unimportant prediction based on body language from the finale (and Shelli's HOH question) - I don't think Clelli will make it past the weekend. Clay's an idiot for throwing his game away for her.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 24, 2015

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
I'm glad MY BOY STEVE won, he pulled off just as vicious a backstab as Vanessa did to Austin, it felt a little like justice for all her over oppressive crocodile tear game play. She kinda choked in a finale that seemed really catered for her, they brought Dr. Will on to justify her actions to a bitter jury, and the final comp it was a 'what did they say' when production knew Steve didn't have much of a social read on his fellow houseguests. But I think I just kind of soured on her when she blindsided a shoeless Austin, it just showed she had no jury plan, and was foolhardy enough to take three really decent comp players to final four.

Goodnight my sweet Goat prince. You've earned your sleep.

GloriousDemon fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 24, 2015

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Tellah posted:

I'm not sure which side I land on when it comes to 'production interference' but having watched Frankie solo that BotB last season I know how I'd behave if I were in Vanessa's position. So I can't really blame her even if her DRs were categorically boring.
I dislike Frankie Grande as much as the next sane person... but Beastmode Cowboy sitting out of that BotB wasn't an event that needed a duo to complete anyways. If anything, once Frankie was allowed to solo the other team should have also done so. They just choose not to and that was a dumb mistake (though I seem to recall they ultimately did go solo).

That wasn't really production malfeasance even if the result makes it seem that way because "gently caress Frankie Grande" and all that rot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Robnoxious posted:

I dislike Frankie Grande as much as the next sane person... but Beastmode Cowboy sitting out of that BotB wasn't an event that needed a duo to complete anyways. If anything, once Frankie was allowed to solo the other team should have also done so. They just choose not to and that was a dumb mistake (though I seem to recall they ultimately did go solo).

That wasn't really production malfeasance even if the result makes it seem that way because "gently caress Frankie Grande" and all that rot.

Yeah, I probably hate Frankie more than anyone in BB history and the show protected him hugely in their edit, but they didn't rig that BotB or anything. Frankie won that because Caleb wanted to make a dramatic show of sitting out the comp instead of just sabotaging Frankie. If he had been smarter and less of a showman then they would have lost. But "dumb and wanting a spotlight" sums up Caleb pretty well.

I'm vehemently on the skeptic side of "DR interference" and I think that kind of fear comes from the James Rhine type ofmicromanaging players who can't accept that you can't control everything in the game (which Derrick and Vanessa clearly were). Bottom line, its a game built to upset your plans. Its why we hate BotB so much, because it makes it so much easier for the players to control the outcomes. And why comps like "Majority Rules" and "Stay/Fold" get taken out of rotation when players figure out how to game them.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Its why we hate BotB so much, because it makes it so much easier for the players to control the outcomes. And why comps like "Majority Rules" and "Stay/Fold" get taken out of rotation when players figure out how to game them.
You have to take the magnetic puzzle out of the rotation now since JM gamed that comp hard too.

Whether on foot or a zipline, JM exposed a flaw to the rules of the comp to his advantage and future hamsters will take note of it and implement it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Steve literally picked "A" for every single question during the HOH.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually thought that was more just clever than gaming. Like I'm genuinely surprised others didn't try it, especially since I'm pretty sure Steve and Vanessa used the same basic "build the puzzle off the board first" approach in other comps this season. Johnny Mac still had to (a) solve the puzzle and (b) get it up before his timer went off. Even if every player knows now that its smarter to try and figure out the puzzle first instead of racing against the buzzer its still a race to solve the puzzle and get it up against the buzzer.

I mean, you're right, it may be enough to kill the comp but I don't think its the same as Stay/Fold or Majority Rules where the field can rig things against the minority. That goes against Big Brother's big hook. It doesn't matter how many people are against you, you can win HOH/POV and gently caress up their plans. Those comps lessen that chance and so does the BotB and that's why they need to go.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yeah, I noticed that too. I was at first kind of wondering if he and Vanessa were trying to rig the comp but that clearly wasn't the case. I wonder if it was just coincidence or if Steve just decided to simplify things with such a crapshoot comp.

Or knowing Steve maybe he has some kind of stat in his head that "A is the answer 70% of the time" or something.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They both did, which made me think Vanessa and Steve had some "pact" to pick 'A' to the end and goto tiebreak and let the chips fall there.
At some point Vanessa strayed and went 'B' (and was wrong) which gave Steve ammunition to win the comp outright, which came down to the wire in the end anyways.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

STAC I want to echo what others have said, I truly appreciated EVERYTHING you did for the live feed thread. I watched the feeds vicariously through you. I really appreciate man and thank you a million.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Robnoxious posted:

They both did, which made me think Vanessa and Steve had some "pact" to pick 'A' to the end and goto tiebreak and let the chips fall there.
At some point Vanessa strayed and went 'B' (and was wrong) which gave Steve ammunition to win the comp outright, which came down to the wire in the end anyways.

This is incorrect cause Vanessa picked 'B' three times which seems like a reasonable number of times to pick 'B' as the correct answer.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The one thing that's too bad in the ending of the show is that we never got to see Vanessa's jury performance.

She was an extremely strong, although flawed, player, and I wanted to see whether she'd do the right thing in the jury questions and speeches, or whether she'd totally gently caress up at the end and piss everyone off.

I expected Steve to be nervous and babble his strategy at high speed, and Liz to be dumb and say the same few things over and over. Vanessa, I'm not sure what she would have done.

Orange Sunshine fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 24, 2015

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

This is incorrect cause Vanessa picked 'B' three times which seems like a reasonable number of times to pick 'B' as the correct answer.
Really?
Seemed like they chose the same answers every single time minus the two times Vanessa failed.

And Steve was always 'A'.

I guess I need a rewatch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Vanessa making F2 and having to face off with the Jury was the "appropriate" ending for the season. Its what everything built to and its a shame it didn't happen, even in the abbreviated "three questions" format BB does.

Steve vs Liz just didn't have the same gravitas to it. Especially since Liz was totally unprepared and poo poo the bed. Yet another reason why the BB finale format sucks since things could have been more interesting if Liz had a day or two to collect herself and rehearse.

Que sera, sera.

Robnoxious posted:

Really?
Seemed like they chose the same answers every single time minus the two times Vanessa failed.

And Steve was always 'A'.

I guess I need a rewatch.

Nah, Vanessa chose B the first question and Steve went up. Then she chose it again midway through and tied things, and then a third time late and Steve took the lead. Vanessa seemed to be just random/answering to the best of her ability. Steve seemed more deliberate for whatever reason.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Orange Sunshine posted:

The one thing that's too bad in the ending of the show is that we never got to see Vanessa's jury performance.

She was an extremely strong, although flawed, player, and I wanted to see whether she'd do the right thing in the jury questions and speeches, or whether she'd totally gently caress up at the end and piss everyone off.

I expected Steve to be nervous and babble his strategy at high speed, and Liz to be dumb and say the same few things over and over. Vanessa, I'm not sure what she would have done.
It all hinged on if she'd "own her game" like Jason suggested and what we all out here wanted or if she'd go into her "integrity and honesty" crying jag which we have all become immune to and had become her M.O.

I think the latter is what we would have gotten but since we know she'd be up against Liz she wouldn't have to muster up much of a resume.

Liz was a straight-up goat for weeks, it was simply a battle to get to that point to take her along for the free ride. No one outside of Julia and Austin were voting for Liz.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Liz didn't have to be a goat. If she had won something in the end run and taken someone out she might have gotten some of the cred she deserved. But she didn't so she was stuck. Too many of those people on jury had an unfair impression that the Twins were "at summer camp" and Austin and Vanessa were controlling them. It wasn't really true and its kind of ridiculous that Liz doesn't get credit for winning more than most players this season or that people like Meg and Jackie who were much MORE "at summer camp" believe it. But the only way Liz could change that would have been by winning in the end run and doing something that Austin couldn't get the credit for. And she didn't.

Or at least making the case when the jury asked her, which she just had no answer for.

"Liz, what did you do in this game that wasn't just Austin's moves or influence?"
"First of all, I'm the one who talking Vanessa and Clelli into keeping Austin in Week 5. I saved him, not the other way around, and he's said that before. Becky was my target because she told people I was an emotional player and a threat she couldn't work with, and because she lied to me about Vanessa being the target even after she told Austin. And James was a threat to me because he had already used his HOHs to break up pairs and I think its obvious he'd want me out so he could work closer with Austin. And oh yeah, I was the 4th vote for Jeff because I thought him staying would help my game."

If she had gotten half of those ideas out there she might have had a shot.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Liz didn't have to be a goat. If she had won something in the end run and taken someone out she might have gotten some of the cred she deserved. But she didn't so she was stuck. Too many of those people on jury had an unfair impression that the Twins were "at summer camp" and Austin and Vanessa were controlling them. It wasn't really true and its kind of ridiculous that Liz doesn't get credit for winning more than most players this season or that people like Meg and Jackie who were much MORE "at summer camp" believe it. But the only way Liz could change that would have been by winning in the end run and doing something that Austin couldn't get the credit for. And she didn't.

Or at least making the case when the jury asked her, which she just had no answer for.

"Liz, what did you do in this game that wasn't just Austin's moves or influence?"
"First of all, I'm the one who talking Vanessa and Clelli into keeping Austin in Week 5. I saved him, not the other way around, and he's said that before. Becky was my target because she told people I was an emotional player and a threat she couldn't work with, and because she lied to me about Vanessa being the target even after she told Austin. And James was a threat to me because he had already used his HOHs to break up pairs and I think its obvious he'd want me out so he could work closer with Austin. And oh yeah, I was the 4th vote for Jeff because I thought him staying would help my game."

If she had gotten half of those ideas out there she might have had a shot.
"OH MY GAWWWWWWWWD... formulating thoughts... it's so HAAAAAAAARD."

If that is what would take to equate a Liz win then I'd loving vote for her too in a heartbeat.
I'd also have monkeys literally flying out of my rear end.
Liz has zero capacity to see beyond the forest from the trees.

Ergo: Liz is the goat of the highest degree.
Both Steve and Vanessa were going to capitalize on it.
Steve edged out.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Thank you everyone for making the season/feeds so much more enjoyable. It's way better with a peanut gallery to throw peanuts with.

I think Steve earned his win in HoH Part 3 for the simple reason that he knows BB history better, and probably better understood the nature of these A/B questions. I recall being somewhat shocked by the correct answers last year (Derrick vs. Cody was the same P3), and I think knowing what to expect gave Steve the tiny edge he needed. He earned it. I also admire his discipline all season long to only win when he needed to and in particular to go hard for only F6, F4 and the final HoH--the ones that really matter.

See y'all in June, or in the Survivor thread. That looks headed for a pretty sweet season.

ppe: STEEEEEEEEEE-VAH!

MrBuddyLee fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 24, 2015

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Robnoxious posted:

"OH MY GAWWWWWWWWD... formulating thoughts... it's so HAAAAAAAARD."

If that is what would take to equate a Liz win then I'd loving vote for her too in a heartbeat.
I'd also have monkeys literally flying out of my rear end.
Liz has zero capacity to see beyond the forest from the trees.

Ergo: Liz is the goat of the highest degree.
Both Steve and Vanessa were going to capitalize on it.
Steve edged out.

I respectfully disagree. I think Liz generally had a pretty solid grasp on the game (especially for a recruit) and was actually one of the better social players this season. And Vanessa, Austin, and Steve would repeatedly talk about how Liz is a deceptively intelligent strategist when she thinks things out. I really think she got an unfair wrap from HGs and fans, especially since the show edit largely avoided Liztin game talks and instead put the focus on Austin/Vanessa and wasted time pretending Johnny did anything.

But I don't think she was fully psychologically/emotionally prepared for the game and having both Julia and Austin as supports for that really stunted her development of that part of the game. She was shaken bad by that crazy Steve HOH week (Steve betraying them, Vanessa mindfucking Julia, Julia stupidly picking Austin, Austin becoming "Judas" and the brief Liztin breakup, Vanessa trying to convince Liz that Austin was betraying her and then taking it back, and then Liz and Julia going back and forth about wanting to sacrifice themselves for one another) and then following that up with Vanessa blindsiding Austin really knocked her on her rear end, I think.

If she had won something, felt some security, and regained her footing I think she might have pulled it together. But Vanessa and Steve did a good job (deliberately or not) of keeping her off balance right until the end to the point where she apparently didn't even think about what to say to the Jury.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

I respectfully disagree. I think Liz generally had a pretty solid grasp on the game (especially for a recruit) and was actually one of the better social players this season. And Vanessa, Austin, and Steve would repeatedly talk about how Liz is a deceptively intelligent strategist when she thinks things out. I really think she got an unfair wrap from HGs and fans, especially since the show edit largely avoided Liztin game talks and instead put the focus on Austin/Vanessa and wasted time pretending Johnny did anything.

But I don't think she was fully psychologically/emotionally prepared for the game and having both Julia and Austin as supports for that really stunted her development of that part of the game. She was shaken bad by that crazy Steve HOH week (Steve betraying them, Vanessa mindfucking Julia, Julia stupidly picking Austin, Austin becoming "Judas" and the brief Liztin breakup, Vanessa trying to convince Liz that Austin was betraying her and then taking it back, and then Liz and Julia going back and forth about wanting to sacrifice themselves for one another) and then following that up with Vanessa blindsiding Austin really knocked her on her rear end, I think.

If she had won something, felt some security, and regained her footing I think she might have pulled it together. But Vanessa and Steve did a good job (deliberately or not) of keeping her off balance right until the end to the point where she apparently didn't even think about what to say to the Jury.

Vanessa: "Hey Liz, you should throw this final 3 HOH competition".

Liz: "Duhhh, ok".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't watch feeds during any of that so I really can't defend or weigh in on that mess. And the show didn't seem to even care to ask Liz about it.

But like I said, I think the Julia/Austin weeks just took her out of the game and she never recovered.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

But like I said, I think the Julia/Austin weeks just took her out of the game and she never recovered.
This all contradicts your praising puff piece before it.
Because of those results, Liz was checked out of the game emotionally/physically/mentally.

Henceforth... goat.
She coulda shoulda woulda on a lot of things but did not because Vaness was still barking in her ear.
Everyone saw the flaw in Liz.

Hell, had Johnny Mac survived he would have taken her to F2 as well.

It was always a run to bring either Meg or Liz to finals.

Liz was by no means a Victoria but their resumes would reveal much symmetry.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

Yet another reason why the BB finale format sucks since things could have been more interesting if Liz had a day or two to collect herself and rehearse.

Errr... how much more time did she need? The Final 3 have had nearly a week to prepare for tonight and if you're Liz you're either eliminated or next to Steve/Vanessa. STAC you wrote out an extremely compelling fanfiction response to "what was your biggest move" and it probably took you three minutes.

If Liz had come forth with some truly insightful or eloquent answers (yours would have worked) I think she could have taken it from Steve tonight. She had 2 guaranteed votes (actually 3 it turns out), some comp wins, an atypical story, and had Steve beat socially so she wasn't much of a goat on paper.

She's just real dumb, though. :eng99:

STAC Goat posted:

Frankie won that because Caleb wanted to make a dramatic show of sitting out the comp instead of just sabotaging Frankie.

As I recall, BMC tried to 're-enter' the comp once he realized it Frankie could potentially complete it alone, at which point he was told by production to remain on the sideline. At the time it seemed like they were covering up for the fact that BotB really introduces some problematic meta-gaming, and that throwing a comp can be confrontational and flagrant. But lo and behold they brought it back this year so maybe it was appropriate to disallow Caleb from re-entering.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I don't think Vanessa deserved to make it to the final 2. She was extremely heavy handed in the way she controlled the game, and a lot of it was unnecessary. Since Becky evicted Shelli, the scamper squad won every HOH and all but 3 vetos (John, James, and John again). Steve was never going to target Vanessa while the Austwins remained in the game, and Austin was going to ensure that his trio remained loyal to Vanessa until there was no one else left to evict.

She could have sat back and relaxed the minute Shelli left, and steered evictions through subtle suggestion. All she needed to do was keep Austin on her side and do her best to fade into the background. Vanessa was overplaying to a ridiculous degree relative to the rest of the house, which ensured the only way she ever made the final two was if she won the final HoH. Steve's game was also not that impressive. Had he not made an error with his guess in the previous HoH, he was sitting in a house with 3 other people who would never take him to the end.

This was a decent season. The game play was poor, but the cast was entertaining and fairly likable. The twins may have been vapid and shallow, but no one in the house was really rotten to the core like Christine & Frankie were the season before. There was also a surprising lack of ego shown. Every year at least half the house was convinced that they were mastermind puppeteers, and we saw a lot less of that this year. If they do another all-stars, I'd like to see several of this year's cast come back now that they have learned how to play the game and give it another go.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I wouldn't call Steve a great Big Brother player in a vacuum, but I think it's quite remarkable that he was able to succeed the way he did while being socially inept, a walking anxiety attack and lacking physicality. He was interesting to watch because you could tell his brain knew exactly what to do but he was so emotionally stunted and socially awkward that he couldn't always pull it off, yet still managed to win. If he was even moderately sociable, he would've ran away with this season.

I'm glad Vanessa didn't win though. She could never seem to grasp that having good game theory didn't entitle her to anything in the game. She was always the first one to manipulate but got so personal whenever the tables turned/appeared to turn. I think she's a good player but she has glaring flaws and the win would've been insufferable because she wouldn't have been able to see any of them.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 24, 2015

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Losing is going to hurt the sales of Vanessa's strategy e-book. Which is as it should be.

Just going to throw my "Thank you" on the pile for STAC. Loved your recaps.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I think we should keep the thread open to keep track of all the house guests and where they are.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
It will be, I keep the episode discussion threads open after the season. There's enough random news and the start of BB Canada to keep it out of archives until next season rolls around.

Question for everyone, in interviews Grodner and the other producers said they brought back BOB because they liked having a game-impacting competition on the Sunday show. Since BOB seems to be universally hated, what should replace it? Some adjusted Punishment/Have Not comp? A new comp which contributes to a prize pool? A combination of the two where people could contribute to the prize pool or secretly take the prize for themselves and everyone else gets punished?

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 24, 2015

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

STAC Goat posted:

Liz didn't have to be a goat.

I think she probably did. Even though Steve's game was cringeworthy most of the season and Liz at least knew what the gently caress she wanted and who to work with and things like that... in the end she's a very bad public speaker. Vanessa or Austin had to get there to really represent the insiders and power players of the season.

Spiky Ooze fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 24, 2015

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Teek posted:

It will be, I keep the episode discussion threads open after the season. There's enough random news and the start of BB Canada to keep it out of archives until next season rolls around.

Question for everyone, in interviews Grodner and the other producers said they brought back BOB because they liked having a game-impacting competition on the Sunday show. Since BOB seems to be universally hated, what should replace it? Some adjusted Punishment/Have Not comp? A new comp which contributes to a prize pool? A combination of the two where people could contribute to the prize pool or secretly take the prize for themselves and everyone else gets punished?

The problem with prizes/punishments is that the stakes aren't high enough to get many viewers, or even some of the more serious players, interested. I'd like to see them revisit granting a the winner of a competition a "special power" for the week. It could be a balancing mechanic to stop one side of the house from steam rolling over the other side, as we saw this season. They can even have America vote for what power the winner will receive. For example you could have things like immunity for the week, make a non-nominee ineligible to compete for veto, ability to select a competitor for veto, or make someone ineligible to vote in the eviction. You can create additional drama by forcing the winner to use the power that week or forfeit playing in next week's power competition.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
How about a weekly coup d'etat competition? Coup is like veto but you get to pick the renom instead of the HoH. BB could set it up such that no one knows if the coup was won or not.. maybe you only get it if you complete a comp in less than a certain amount of time, and whether or not it was won is kept secret until it's time to use it right before eviction.

Sunday: noms, Coup d'etat holder picked
Wednesday: veto Comp, veto used
Thursday: Coup used, eviction , new HoH picked

This would create a shitload of "what if" strategy, and add a lot of "oh poo poo" moments to eviction nights. It would take some power out of the HoH's hands though, for sure, and might change the game too much. That could be mitigated by making it pretty damned hard to win, so there are only maybe 2-3 Coup winners and uses per season.

MrBuddyLee fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 24, 2015

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

MrBuddyLee posted:

How about a weekly coup d'etat competition? Coup is like veto but you get to pick the renom instead of the HoH. BB could set it up such that no one knows if the coup was won or not.. maybe you only get it if you complete a comp in less than a certain amount of time, and whether or not it was won is kept secret until it's time to use it right before eviction.

Sunday: noms, Coup d'etat holder picked
Wednesday: veto Comp, veto used
Thursday: Coup used, eviction , new HoH picked

This would create a shitload of "what if" strategy, and add a lot of "oh poo poo" moments to eviction nights. It would take some power out of the HoH's hands though, for sure, and might change the game too much. That could be mitigated by making it pretty damned hard to win, so there are only maybe 2-3 Coup winners and uses per season.

Or only rig the game to have it to save production's favorite player from going home.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
Personally I feel like people are incentivized to throw comps far, far too frequently. BotB is virtually always thrown, which renders the majority of the comps moot and boring. Adding in special powers or a new role doesn't really address the problem of thrown HoH/veto comps.

My suggestion would be to rework the reward structure of comps such that there's always some incentive to win for all players. Something like an in-game currency, where you accrue points with wins or runners-up, which can be used to purchase the diamond power of veto or double-votes or vote-cancellations on specific weeks. The point being that every comp matters and there would be an opportunity cost for throwing in Week 1 that might be felt weeks or even months later when people come up short.

That way they could throw in a luxury/prize comp every week that would still have impact on the core game, and have everyone jockeying for the win even if they have to hang out with Frankie afterward.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Tellah posted:

My suggestion would be to rework the reward structure of comps such that there's always some incentive to win for all players. Something like an in-game currency, where you accrue points with wins or runners-up, which can be used to purchase the diamond power of veto or double-votes or vote-cancellations on specific weeks. The point being that every comp matters and there would be an opportunity cost for throwing in Week 1 that might be felt weeks or even months later when people come up short.

I like this idea, but I wonder how much it could be gamed by the power or high numbers alliance. Maybe they could do something like if you're the one saved by the block, you get a certain number of points to use going into next week.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Did anyone see any interviews today? Curious how bitter Vanessa is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Tellah posted:

Personally I feel like people are incentivized to throw comps far, far too frequently. BotB is virtually always thrown, which renders the majority of the comps moot and boring. Adding in special powers or a new role doesn't really address the problem of thrown HoH/veto comps.

I don't think "balance" is really a think outside of any game genre besides videogames. Certainly not in TV game show production, they're completely poo poo at it. It's a shame.

• Locked thread