Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
I hope so! Just tried it the other day and was kind of disappointed.

Existing racing sims on PC are alright but the thing I like about the Forza series is that it has a greater focus on cars that a normal person could own/drive. I boot up the PC version and sift through the cars and it seems to lean way too heavily on the supercar side of things. They seem to be similar to what you'll find in Project Cars so maybe it's to compete with the other big PC titles or something but really all I want is to recreate my 240sx in a cartoon videogame and save some money on tires.

Even if they introduce the console cars in dlc packs or whatever I would probably pick em up. Also hope they plan on implementing some form of multiplayer but its not a big deal. For a free game its pretty great. A lot of great cars to choose from even as it is despite my complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

Guys. Wow. Guys. Real rally spec this time. They put in some very cool body options this time around for the 1982 Lancia 037 Stradale. It's nearly period livery perfect, now. Nearly.

Is it as wonderfully unwieldy to drive as in Dirt Rally?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Dress up your barbie cars and have fun. If you are that serious about laptimes its probably a good idea to step out of bench racing because you can buy an irl car for the same price of some sim setups.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Finally got the game working, didn't realize I had to update to the latest version of Windows10 to even begin installing...

And of course I immediately figured this to be the best choice among the selection of starter cars to bash up:

:rice:

Norns posted:

Yeah I can totally buy a F1 or LMP1 or nascar. I'll get right on that.

Fortunately it's considerably cheaper than that to participate in what is objectively America's greatest race series. 🍋

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Zip! posted:

RIP my $1.3m Koenigsegg I guess! :toot:

That sucks for you but overall might be a good thing?

In the last regular Forza game I played, I lucked out with a multi-million dollar car reward on my first random bonus thingie and just sold it to instantly build my army of comedy options.

To me that's the main fun of the game, taking a shitbox car and customizing it in whatever way you can make it interesting. The thing that made the first Gran Turismo and Forzas cool were that you actually kind of had to drive them a bit before getting to do this.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I guess I lucked out because I actually found a lot of my favorite cars on the auction house for very cheap by simply filtering the make/models:

R32 Skyline
R34 Skyline
Lexus SC300
'87 Firebird
Galant VR-4 (S1 Rally?)
Subaru SVX

Some of them were even S class despite having buyouts of 20k or less. Dunno if it's because the standard edition just came out today but there are a lot of disproportionately cheap listings in the mix so I highly recommend checking it out.

The overall selection in this game is amazing. Was looking for the Buick Regal, Delta S4, 037 and RX-7 but they were either not even listed or well over 100k credits but other than that my collection is already nearly complete for cheap. At least I now have a good selection of cheap platforms to do comedy builds with.

And of course, first thing I did was recreate my irl car like a huge nerd:

...right down to the obnoxious engine swap and cheap rear end 4-lug Rota wheels! :homebrew:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Pardon my lovely computer but I just wanted to let yall know that the Subaru SVX is extremely legit:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

Is there a goon league for FH3?

So glad to see the auction house back.

I just joined GRRC as "BreakSet" which appears to be the main goon club.

Zip! posted:

So just wondering about this, are there any tips for making money out of the auction house short of just moving on the HE spin wins?

Slap an interesting skin on any car you want to sell.

Put visual bodykit stuff on it - it is usually pretty cheap and can attract impulsive buyers that think you tuned the car beyond ricer mods.

Set short auctions for when you're actively playing and don't expect to make too much off most single sales.

As of right now people are just listing cars immediately as they get them and this is the easiest way to standout.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

That's cool, is it a Reliant Robin? I haven't seen one in game yet.

I like how they will throw random stuff at you to try things you normally wouldn't. I won a D-class Datsun on a random spin and turned it into a modest rat rod:

Also got a McLaren that immediately sold for hundreds of thousands of cyber-bucks so I'll be digging into upgrades for the rest of my cars finally.

This is the first Forza I've owned since 2 so maybe I'm a bit more forgiving than most but lol I can't be mad at the DLC pricing. Most of that the extra cars aren't even that important unless you're trying to collect every car like its a Pokemon game. It's not like performance is an issue. This is an arcade racer that gives you free supercars as you progress even if you have the worst of luck with lottery spins. I've managed to get dozens of my favorite cars in just the first day with only the standard entry version. This is mostly thanks to the Auction House which rules and I'm pretty sure if you play regularly you'll be able to find anything you want on there.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I dunno about on a console but I usually just mute the in-game music of most titles and play stuff like I normally would in the background and just alt-tab if I have to change it. I also have a whole separate computer dedicated to stuff like music and video editing which essentially can double as a jukebox.

You could always use your phone and plug it into your speakers or something if you're that serious about hearing exactly what you want to hear, idk?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

GutBomb posted:

Drivatars upgrade their cars to be near your pi.

That being said it's the shifty autoupgrade which doesn't prioritize power over weight so the upgrades are poo poo.

I don't upgrade anything in this game except for looks. I like driving street cars and it's fun.

Upgrades really only seem to matter in online situations. I do think that simply turning every car you own straight into S-class is boring. Sleepers rule but I also enjoy just seeing how the stock cars drive first. I like taking shitboxes and putting them at perfect ratings like 400/500/600 because they get the funniest reactions at mid-level.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Man, as a DiRT: Rally player the current monthly rival WRX vs. EVO race is super great and fun. I've been progressing like poo poo because I keep doing that over and over. I'm probably being put against people with way low difficulty settings but it's drat fun to just edge people out and then get a next harder person.

All those hours of sliding around in DiRT: Rally and ramming the poo poo out of people at every corner in GTA: Online are finally starting to pay off.

Yall ain't makin' it easy in this crew:

Gonna have to dive into a proper dream build to compete w/Keket :science:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Despite being a cartoon videogame, the tuning in Horizon 3 is surprisingly deep. You can really custom tailor any car to your liking and whatever you do kind of makes sense in how it affects the car behavior. I like that the most expensive upgrade isn't always the best and you can focus on different aspects like suspension builds or minor engine mods in between full conversions. This may not be news to anyone but the flexibility is a bit better than I personally remember from years ago.

The main downside to racing in something like GTA Online was that it was overly simplistic in that there was always an obvious best car/build to choose. The class system here keeps it interesting at every level while the online races still feel very GTA-like which is a great thing imo.

Keket posted:

Bring it, bitch. I think I'm top of all the zones I've discovered so far.
(I have you on steam right? We should play together)

I wouldn't be surprised since we have a frightening level of combined hours in WT.

get at me bruh: http://steamcommunity.com/id/BreakSet/

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Keket posted:

Me and Theif found out online coop campaign is broken as poo poo if one of you is a higher level. You make bank with fans and exp. Also if there's any midnight races for the 4 locked cars, only one of you needs the race unlocked for the other person to enter and win it.

Got the RX-7 for free basically thanks to this!

Co-op is definitely OP and allows you to skip much of the grind through casual play with friends.

I also lucked out while we were dorking around on drift sections and spun a $10,000,000 BRZ Horizon Edition :yosbutt:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

They give you a NSX early on at least.

Also:

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Spent the entire night basically tuning a single car, a '91 Intregra.

It is a good car, arguably the best FWD ever so enjoy :japan:

I have never considered buying a Honda irl so I always end up building one in whatever Forza/Gran Turismo I'm in once I run out of ideas. I would like to see more front-wheel cars in this game. The lowest H3 seems to go is D class but there could be a lot of cool economy options that double as car ads since that's what this game basically is. Things like Camrys/Accords/Altimas. Sentras/Versas/Corollas/Yaris/etc... things that would max out around B class even with an I6/V8 swap.

One of the first things I did was build my irl car in this game as soon as it let me. It's fun and amusing and I think would work great in a game to add a E or F class but I totally understand why the focus is on at least RWD cars or better if not exotic.

Thief fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 30, 2016

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

this "Hypercar douchebag fantasy" model that doesnt do it for me.

That's pretty much true for even more serious car sims.

This game handles low end performance way better than supercars even though it is arcade based. The drift sections, street races and rally events are the best thing in the game despite everything in general being so forgiving.

The #1 thing that attracts me to this game is the car selection on the low end - I just think it could go even lower and still be fun. It is the best despite the focus on Lambos and Ferraris that all look/feel the same. As a PC player, this is a loving huge problem just look at your options across games like Project Cars that are so focused on unobtainable vehicles that they often only have literally 1-3 options that your average irl driver could relate to. The only exception to this is maybe Assetto Corsa and even then it is so thin it feels like the engine is going to waste.

Thief fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 30, 2016

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Hell yeah, I'll take any excuse to buy old Nissans/Toyotas!

The SC300 is basically a badass Toyota 240SX and I'm very happy they put one in this game:

...btw, you can do a loving rotary swap and make it an AWD S-Class nightmare of acceleration:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Here are some of my most recent barn finds:

:perfect:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

This car has immediately sold each time I've listed it on the auction house because putting Paul Walker's :rice: skin on it is apparently worth max price:

The R32 is actually cooler :ssh:

I am close to banking $5mil now just in case a Horizon Edition Silvia ever goes on auction for immediate buyout.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I think its based on whatever mods you dump onto it. If you buy it cheap from the auction house you can make like 40k off of it though you just have to snipe ending bids. It's generally not worth the effort but it's something to do when periodically scanning for that rare Silvia.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Cubey posted:

the r32's front end geometry is completely wrong

The R32 is my favorite car in the game and I haven't even noticed this despite driving it in most "serious" A/B class races. Just gotta love them taillights and the only other view I get from it is in 3rd person or the side doors.

Shumagorath posted:

Ok I give up; can someone please explain how I'm supposed to drift through challenge zones? My drifting ability consists of taking an AWD down the highway and throwing it sideways with the e-brake, but while that can net you 40k+ points it can only do so in a straight line.

General Probe posted:

Don't use an AWD car? It's there a reason you aren't using a RWD car?

Yeah AWD cars aren't the easiest to drift with because when you floor it the car will naturally straighten itself out more often than not. This makes extended drifts harder than simple short bursts of powersliding.

RWD is preferred for drifting. They naturally spin out more easily when you push them too hard. The trick is to find that line where you start going sideways and from there you actually use the gas pedal to steer more so than the wheel if your entry is good. More gas = more turn unless your entry isn't aggressive enough. The perfect place to be is at the right speed/angle that allows you to just hammer down and purely accelerate through whatever curve you're in. Ease back when it starts to spin out beyond the point of control. If it starts to understeer then you need to work on your approach. There are many ways to initiate a drift and they tend to determine how/what you're supposed to do when sliding. It's something you just have to practice a lot to figure out and get a feel for.

edit: as you figure things out, try to take little mental notes - it'll help a lot.

After a while you'll build up a sort of playbook of how to handle each situation. There will generally be traffic driving through your competitive drift zones. In some of them you need to learn to adapt to this mid-drift in order to get 3 stars.

One amazing thing about this game is the instant rewind ability. Whenever something goes wrong, USE it to approach the same situation with a different technique until you find something that works. Eventually you won't need it anymore and will probably be ready for tandem drift fun :snoop:

Thief fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 1, 2016

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I don't trust a random cartoon videogame player to tune any presets to my liking.

The best thing to do is learn to drift the car stock if it is RWD. From there you can tune it yourself in ways that are actually significant to your personal style.

Keket posted:

Bring it, bitch. I think I'm top of all the zones I've discovered so far.
(I have you on steam right? We should play together)

btw, this happened last night:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

After all that RWD drift talk I figured I should at least try to slide a Civic around...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlxfqihKfd4

...reminds me of back when I was doing deliveries in the snow with my $200 Dodge Neon.

Also this:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

Thief and (not) Keket, I think you two have finally opened my eyes to drifting, at least off-road in FH.

Where I was screwing up was making steering inputs after breaking the back-end loose.

The phrase "steer with the throttle" may have been the "a-ha" moment for me. I was on dirt and gravel in a rather grippy Subaru WRX but I still held my longest drifts ever just by leaving the steering alone and playing with the throttle, e-brake, and clutch. This may well be a huge breakthrough for me and I can't wait to try it on pavement in an overpowered, specifically-geared RWD car.

I'll come back after some practice and hopefully post some results. Atmus I was where you are, trying to figure out how to use Co-op to beat driftu~ challenges or get someone to do them for me. Now I actually have hope!

Cool! Once you get a feel to sliding around it is time to master the various ways to initiate the drift. Sometimes you don't even need the brakes. You can throw your momentum through or even use the raw power of your engine to push right into a slide. Sometimes you can even use the handbrake or bounce the car with your regular brakes and cause a drift while driving in an otherwise seemingly straight line. You've already figured out that clutch kicking causes wheelslip - this is how some low horsepower cars have to do irl unless they are going fast.

Keket posted:

I'm sorry for your loss.

I might have to climb into S class to compete I just don't know if that S should stand for "Silvia" or should I continue with comedy options...

Also, is that Torana as good as you predicted? I wonder if the reaaon it tops the leaderboard has anything to do with the stock displacement. Then again you can boost practically any car to be bigger than it'd ever have to be so maybe it has more to do with weight distribution or wheelbase? I know that instructor guy that runs the drift clan you see on the leaderboards is always in ridiculous trucks and vans. I think it obviously has more to do with skill than anything but wheelbase does seem to have a huge impact on ease of entry because smaller cars turn into dangerous rollerskates when you try to take them sideways.

Thief fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 2, 2016

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I spun a BRZ HE but am honestly more tempted to just flip it for top bid/buyout and buy 30 other cars instead. The bonuses don't seem to affect leadeeboards btw :)

Still haven't seen a single HE Silvia on the market yet.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

S15

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

L_Harrison posted:

They do affect online competitive championship stuff, since that's all based around XP and not finishing position, which does seem like an oversight.

Well idk about races and capture the flag type gamemodes but I played with someone that had a drift boost and they said it wasn't affecting drift zone scores. The boost affects the combo chain points instead apparently.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Sometimes my game crashes more than my cars do so I reduce the gfx to min settings:

it runs fine then and the fps are good but eventually i'll raise the settings and it'll still run fine ...for a while, at least until the game starts crashing so often that it won't stop until i lower them again in at the title screen :shrug:

also:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

The selection of user created designs in this game are really impressive even if they are just a compilation of years and years worth of submissions.

Morohoshi's Lambos are about as close as I've seen irl cars look like they'd be fit for a Horizon festival:

Rally Celica:

oh, also:

:iia:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

If your game is continuously crashing sometimes you gotta ctrl+alt+del and kill a few side programs that are fuckin up your day. Things like the xbox app and nvidia sometimes need to be forced to quit before the game will work again.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Guess I lucked out because the patch seemingly fixed my crashing issues and I can even turn up most of the settings except MSAA and get decent framerates. Other than that the main thing causing stuttering is the dynamic geometry. It runs fine when I turn it down all the way and I'm happy with that - I spend most of my time on winding roads anyway.

Cygni posted:

There is also a rad Ivan "Iron Man" Stewart scheme for the Trophy Truck. Pretty much this exact livery:

That design was available for the Celica as well :allears:

As an RB owner I immediately went and found this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVsI48kMB4k

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

FD is :love:

probably one of the most aesthetically pleasing sports cars ever imo

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Cubey posted:

the rotary is the thing it has going for it, it is otherwise not a particularly remarkable vehicle.

it's beautiful though, we're not talkin about rx-8s here lol

anway, in regards to high performance gimmicks i am currently trying the Tesla out.

It's as good as it is boring:

Pros:
No engine sound
"Ludicrous" 0-60 times lol
Easy to drive

Cons:
No engine sound
1 gear
Kinda boring to drive
Minimal customization/upgrade options available

Will it drift?

Yes. But you lose much of the control options in regards to upshifting/downshifting when doing long lines and changing directions mid-drift.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Danger Jumps and Drift Zones are just plain stupid. I can't believe it's *current year* and developers are still adding loving luck-based objectives to racing games. Neither Danger Jumps nor Drift Zones have anything to do with skill and everything to do with how lucky you get with AI cars spawning or AI drivatars crashing into you for no reason. So loving terrible. Please patch this poo poo and allow us to turn off AI drivatars in free roam. They unequivocally ruin the game.

lol are you actually serious?

because those are exactly 2 of my favorite free roam activities that give you points aside from improvised point a-to-b street races

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

CapnBry posted:

I spent another 30 minutes trying to do a drift area and could only get just over 10,000 (enough for one star) a bunch of times. Decided I will give it a try with the wireless XBOX controller instead of the sweet force feedback racing wheel and pedals and hit 20k first try, followed but some mid twenties and a couple 30k. Went back and started doing the drift bucket challenges starting with the Easy one with the Nissan GTR '17 (which I had previously tried at least a dozen times) first try. Tried it again and didn't even leave the parking lot, easy. Then did the Hard one with the NSX, 3 tries, done.

I feel like a loving Driving God with the controller compared to the wheel. I'm slinging the car around corners, sliding between a tree and a truck, completely sideways all the way through a hairpin turn. Previously if you heard the sound of a squealing tire, there was a 90% chance I was going to spin out. Now I hear the sound and point the nose and feather the throttle to power through. RWD cars on dirt or wet in the rainforest used to be a skill game of giving it just enough throttle to keep the wheels from coming loose, now it a doddle because it isn't difficult to recover.

I went back to the steering wheel and tried half a dozen different combinations of advanced settings and it is garbage; I am all over the place like I am driving with my face. I don't know what the gently caress they did to steering wheel support to make it so awful, but I will be putting the wheel away for this one. Do we have an emoticon with a car crying?

:snoop:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Realistically on pavement I just drift in 2nd gear most of the time and in 3rd when I'm ready to risk my car/life. You pretty much have to go to an actual track to get into 4th gear drifts and faster unless you're just doing really wide macaroni noodle slides in an open parking lot. Once you throw your weight into a slide there isn't much left to the steering aspect of it unless you change directions.

As a gamepad user, the hardest part of drifting in a game like Forza is just having to get used to being full on/off the throttle more often than not. It's a lot harder to feather the trigger than steering imo but on the plus side shifting gears is hilariously fast and furious. irl the hardest part is gonna be the clutch/braking when shifting gears and this game will let you put your car in reverse at 200mph with no problems.

Thief fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 6, 2016

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

spun another horizon edition car:

:patriot:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Endbuster posted:

I love how the throttle body linkages visibly move like they are supposed to on the car's with big honkin' blowers. I know they did that in FH2 on the Toretto Charger, but its just nice to see that little touch.

yeah, i drive the mad max car around a lot during free roam and it keeps things interesting when half your screen is covered by the engine

speaking of hood mods, i tried to do a basic recreation of my half-assed hood design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8T8jNLDCJA

:mediocre:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

my collection of Horizon Edition cars is gettin out of control:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, I just keep the classical station on with the in-game music volume at 1 while playing music/movies elsewhere. The shortest skill song I've ever seen was still 6 minutes. They usually are closer to 10min and are pretty funny because it'll be something like the song from 2001: Space Oddessy as you destroy a farmer's entire harvest.

Cygni posted:

How the poo poo are you gettin' million point skillchains, is that from drifting or some other arcane thing i dont understand?

Off-roading throws points at you for almost anything you do.

Find an open field and just do wide drifts. Hit stuff while sliding around to keep the combo active. Change directions to keep the drift active. Pull the handbrake if you are just sliding around from powering over - they are techincally 2 types of skills in the point system. Every little bush and sign post counts. Every little wheel lift counts as a jump. Sliding on dirt counts as a drift. Each time you do something different it reactivates the combo timer. All you gotta do is figure out the stuff you can't hit - cars, walls, certain buildings/trees. Other than that you're fine as long as you don't land upside down or drown.

tldr: regularly change directions and hit stuff

Anyway, here's a different M3. It's probably my favorite BMW but don't drive too often because the one in Assetto Corsa is as good as it gets in videogames:

Thief fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 7, 2016

• Locked thread