Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Only just found this thread (I tend not to come to Games very often), but the week before E3 I went to visit Turn 10 for an exclusive first look at the game: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/06/forza-motorsport-6-getting-dark-and-wet-in-a-world-first-hands-on/

In case you were wondering how they actually model everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

IGN noticed a few things about career mode i'm not thrilled with, but not totally surprised either. Apparently you cant choose your championship in career mode, it is chosen for you. So no more "oh, i just bought a zonda, lets open the V12 races". Really suprised to hear that

Uh, that's not quite true. You get a choice of six different championships at each stage, but each one is part of one of five different stories of motorsport.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Leather Bear posted:

Can you post on how car class works? Did T10 implement a more granular system so we can race solely F1 or GT3-class cars, for example?

There's no change. In multiplayer you can specify which class and the drive type iirc. Tried checking just now but it keeps failing to let me set up a private lobby at the moment.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

ethanol posted:

You're confusing hoppers lobby restrictions with private lobby ones, in whivh you can specify car type or laps.. damage..etc. turn10 has always really flubbed up public lobbies

No, I'm really not. I know exactly how to create a private lobby, where you can set your own restrictions, and I am positive you can only tell it to set a specific car class (A, B, C, etc) and fwd/awd/rwd. However, as I said, the server kept failing when I tried to create a new one just now to double check.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

GutBomb posted:

To Clarify, you mean in FM6 you can only set up a private lobby with Letter class and drive type? Or all Forzas? Because I do it in FM5 every week with all of the extra stuff like the ability to choose which assists are allowed for people connecting, which car type, make, model, etc... It's in the advanced tab all the way over to the right in race setup. If they removed that in 6 there's going to be a revolt.

edit - OK I just checked and there's an entire page of car restrictions you can create for multiplayer races so fear not.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
After spending 5 hours troubleshooting, I finally got the Fanatec Clubsport to work. Can't say I enjoyed the experience, but holy fuckballs what a great way to play once it's working.

Gamer tag is drgitlin, but I won't be around much for the next week and a half (get to drive a real Huracan for a few days and then down to COTA for the new TT launch so feel free to hate me).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

ethanol posted:

I don't think any 360 wheels work with the bone

Nope, they don't (but you can reuse the pedals with the new one). On the off chance anyone is looking for info about wheels, I have reviewed the G920 and Fanatec Clubsport: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/09/getting-to-grips-with-the-latest-xbox-one-steering-wheels

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Designed by the same guy. Yas Marina too.

Actually this isn't true. Herman Tilke's company did the buildings and facilities, but the track layout was Tavo Hellmund and Kevin Schwantz.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

I swear I'm not working for Fanatec but I'd say that the CSW v2 with universal Xbone Hub is a large margin better than the Thrustmaster TX although that is a perfectly fine wheel too.

The novelty sized pretend rim was my biggest letdown with the Thrustmaster, but now that I've had some time with it, the CSW v2 is also a lot smoother action in general and feels more like a real car. It's also considerably more expensive.

Everything belt driven is a step up from G25/G27's. It also has the side benefit of, y'know, working on the Xbone.

I actually think the force feedback on the TX is stronger than the Fanatec (with both set to 100%). But the rim on the TX is too narrow. However, with the auto clutch, and Fanatec pedals (courtesy of the basherboards CPX) it's a pretty great combo. And much less frustrating than troubleshooting the Fanatec CSW. But if you have the cash for the whole Fanatec set up, it is totes amaze, as the kids say.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Norns posted:

Just pulled the trigger on the TX Wheel, and a Playseat Challenge so I have something to actually use it with in the living room.

I should probably get the T3PA pedals...

Rather get Fanatec Clubsport pedals and a basherboards CPX adapter than the T3PA pedals.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

GramCracker posted:

I'm sure this has been discussed - why did Turn10 not decide to actually make the AI less lovely? They have zero situational awareness (this is my biggest issue with them) and every single one drives the exact same drat line and rarely deviates from it.

I talked to Dan and the team about it earlier this year: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/06/forza-motorsport-6-getting-dark-and-wet-in-a-world-first-hands-on/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Oh you want to listen to music through the Xbox One while playing games. Sorry we are gonna need 25% of your screen space.

That is my biggest annoyance with the One. Why the gently caress can't I just stream music from my laptop? It evidently worked perfectly well with the 360.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

SmokeyXIII posted:

Are we getting Porsche? Was that just for FH2?

Porsche pack is coming Spring 2016

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

I can't recall if the Thrustmaster has an "auto" setting for rotation, but if you set the Fanatec that way, the game tells the wheel what it's meant to be, and yes - you did read that Turn 10 said 540 is what they built the 'auto' setting to detect at.

I use 540/sim steering for everything because I'm too old to be turning a video game wheel 6 complete rotations to make a u-turn.

Also, make sure to have the wheel on and connected physically before you power on the Xbone. I feel like if you have the Xbone on, and then connect/turn on your wheel, there can be inconsistencies with steering rotation once you get into the game. This could just be bias because that definitely DID happen on the 360 with the Fanatecs but it seems to work so I've just stuck with it on Xbone. I always shut down completely and reboot when I'm switching to using the wheel, and once you're in-game using the wheel as primary, you can power on a controller as a second input device to paint/take pics/maneuver in menus, etc.

If you do it the other way around, (at least for me) you end up with wheel buttons (paddles) not necessarily being mapped correctly, which is fixed by going into the Forza controller settings screen and then backing out using the buttons on the wheel.

Fanatec is becoming more and more user-u friendly as the days go by. Five hours of troubleshooting to set up the CSW, and even now I can guarantee the first time I try using it the accelerator will only give me 30% activation and will have to be power cycled before I can actually use it. Oh, and they used non-metric hex screws on the pedals and didn't mention it so now I've stripped a screw on the brake pedal.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

If we're doing "Guess a random car that has nothing to do with the clue",

clearly all of them are Porsches.

Porsche is coming next Spring.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I wouldn't get your hopes up about Maple Valley.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Cubey posted:

It's going to actually be Twin Ring "worse than the Bugatti circuit' mother loving Motegi, isn't it :suicide:

I can't say for sure (and wouldn't be allowed to if I could) but I am 98% sure it's not a track.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

So the surprise was a livery and a fictional car only accessible by buying another game. That's a let down.

I told you fuckers not to get your hopes up.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

robotsinmyhead posted:

Hermann Tilke, designer of Sochi, Yas Marina, CotA, Bahrain, and a lot of others.

He gets a lot of poo poo for a a copy/paste aesthetic to his tracks, in that many of them look really similar.

His newer tracks are also simultaneously praised for being safer due to large run-off areas, but lacking any real "penalty" for going off track (FIA rules have remedied this a bit, but it's way more arbitrary)

I personally find his tracks to be difficult for the wrong reasons - mostly just straights with varying degree turns followed by another straight, maybe a constant radius turn here or there. I'm sure that sounds reductive because that's how "all tracks" are in a really general way, but in my opinion, good tracks should "flow" with the terrain and be exciting. Technical parts should be a result of track planning and natural features rather than imposed by the designer.

They're not all bad. Turkey Istanbul Park was a pretty cool track, but for the most part, his tracks are going more and more the way of all looking like Yas Marina.

A: Tilke did not design COTA's layout, that was Tavo Hellmund and Kevin Schwantz. Tilke GmbH did the buildings and infrastructure.

B: Turkey was a great track, because the site had a lot of elevation. Every other recent f1 track that Tilke has done has been a flat stretch of wasteland (or swamp in the case of Shanghai) which is why they're so boring. There is no terrain with which to flow.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

I think some of you will be pleasantly surprised.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Here you go, 4k PC version of Forza: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/03/4k-free-to-play-forza-6-apex-leads-microsofts-latest-xbox-on-pc-push/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I'm expecting it to show up at 1pm ET/10am PT.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Although I am sure I had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it, I am quite pleased that the two tracks I suggested Dan and Turn 10 add to the game (Spa and then VIR) were two tracks that Turn 10 added (I told them they should add VIR when I was there last year).

The Porsche pack is pretty great - you can still make a 930 look like a 964 with the bodywork mods, although the lack of a 993 GT2 makes me a bit sad. The 718 is a great little car.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Bad news. Turn 10 told me we almost certainly won't get any more Porsches as future DLC. :(

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

In FM6, or for the rest of their games going forward? If it's the latter, is it because the sales numbers on the DLC are too poor to support the licensing fee?

FM6. I am pretty sure when I was at Turn 10 last year they said the EA license expires this year or next.

Edit - checked my piece from last year and it says 2016, so we'll see what happens. I might ask Porsche if they can find the answer for me.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 2, 2016

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
IDK if you're joking or not but I don't believe Dan Greenawalt is going anywhere.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

BCRock posted:

It's already been pointed out that they aren't all cars from 4. How exactly do they make the Porsche pack races "different" from the campaign when the entire game is just cars racing on tracks without doing dumb poo poo like the aforementioned moon racing?

Would you have been happier if they didn't add any of the commentary? It's some neat history for people who care about it and if you don't you can just ignore or skip it.

It's a bunch of great cars and an awesome track, plus a whole set of single player races and a league. I'm not sure what else you expect for $20.

I happily spent $20 of my own money just so I can race those cars and VIR, and gave away the review code on Twitter. The 718 RS 60 is almost worth it alone.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

PhancyPants posted:

Well, they're Porsches so Turn 10 just had to model 1 car and 12 spoilers

I do like the way you can turn a 930 into a 964...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

track day bro! posted:

But I thought the horizon games were made by playground games with not much of T10 involvement apart from assets and the engine?

I believe that it's Turn 10 that does all the car models, and that's three months per car.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

What I was referencing, and i think track day bro! was questioning, is that the people who ran the community bounties, monthly rivals, hopper rotation, etc... were the same people that ended up doing the same thing in Horizon as had been doing it in FM4.

They had promised to keep up the support in FM4, but that didn't end up happening. Same thing with FM5 and FH2, but not really as noticeable since both of those games had much smaller user bases.

So yeah, I'm predicting the same thing happening to FM6 after the last DLC pack.

Oh. Yes I think they just have the one community engagement team (or whatever it's called).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Since forza 2 i've wanted a "Defer to in-car aids" option, so a Buick Grand national would be automatic, a Nissan Skyline would have fancy traction control, a Ferrari would be paddle shift and a Miata would be manual with clutch, any of which you could disable in favor of aids.

I've brought that very point up with San Greenawalt both times I've visited Turn 10 now. Not sure I've ever received a satisfying answer, fwiw.

I really like the way DiRT Rally handles wheels in that regard. You turn on "soft lock" and it defaults your wheel to whatever lock the actual car has. Btw you should all try that game, it is really really excellent: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/03/dirt-rally-review-one-of-the-best-driving-games-weve-ever-played/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

Forza also doesn't do a terrific job of modeling high-end cars' electronic genies like the GT-R and Ferraris.

The generic tcs and stability systems don't come close to what those cars really do.

I imagine all of that stuff is proprietary and therefore very secretive.

So I've asked about that too, and the answer was always along the lines of "no, our system is is fine". I think that they could at least do what GT does and let you alter the amount of intervention (which after all is what the various OEM ones do).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
No reason not to expect more DLC; Forza 5 kept pumping it out until Horizon 2 was nearly out. It's just that you only get the first six included in the Car Pass.

FM 5 got eight full car packs and a few booster packs: http://forzamotorsport.wikia.com/wiki/Forza_Motorsport_5/Downloadable_Content

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

MattD1zzl3 posted:

If only there was a slow formula car that had an exciting engine note and less downforce.

BAC Mono.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I actually had to fire up 6 after first playing FH3 because the handling felt so off I thought my wheel might be acting up. Nope, it really does feel that disconnected and floaty.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
The FFB in the Xbox version is horribly weak so it might be the same in the PC one.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

geeves posted:

Default is 50%. Did you up it to say 75-80%?

No, 100, and it's still much weaker than FH2 or FM6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I notice they specifically mention Fanatec CSW v2 with Xbone hub. I hope that's just for Xbone and the base works on windows with whatever wheel.

The Xbox One has always worked with the CSW and Xbox One hub.

• Locked thread