Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I think EA's deal with Porsche expires at the end of the year, so I wouldn't be surprised if Turn 10 has a "Porsche Pack" that's basically ready to release as soon as that deal is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I think Turn 10 has said that they have 3d scans of cars that are in a higher resolution than even the current gen consoles can use, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if a lot of the cars that appear in all three current-gen Forza games aren't just the same models and textures (with some refinements) getting ported from one game to another.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I finally got a chance to play with the demo, and I'd certainly agree with the opinion that the physical effects of the water (not to mention the visuals) are really well done. Also, watching the drivatars hydroplane into things because they don't know to avoid the puddles is hilarious.

I'm also really liking the new tire physics for loss of grip. In Forza 5, the tires went from "plenty of grip" to "zero grip, there's the wall" with not a lot of transition in between (at least with a controller) and from what I've seen in the demo, the loss of traction is slightly more gradual now, so you have a better ability to "feel" exactly where the limits of the tires are in the game.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
You'd think that six years, three games, and a more capable console would have resulted in Turn 10 fixing the rewind bug with endurance racing (which last appeared in Forza 3), but apparently that wasn't the case.

The bug that stops rewind from working as soon as something crosses the finish line on the last lap of a race seems to still be present as well, which makes it fun when you slam into a car on the last corner of a passing challenge and then have to restart the entire event again.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 14, 2015

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Powershift posted:

The R8 e-tron only does about 4.5 laps of le sarthe to a tank, the peugeot HDI FAP could probably do 8.

From what I could find online, the Peugeot 908 has a substantially larger fuel tank than the R18 (about 80 versus 54 liters) due to rule changes in the years between the cars mandating smaller fuel tanks for the LMP hybrids, but I'm thinking that Forza probably doesn't account for the lower fuel consumption of the R18's hybrid system.

When the Peugeot 908 won Le Mans in 2009, it completed 382 laps, and the Audi R18 that won in 2014 did 379 laps, with the difference probably being down to safety car periods, since Audi managed 393 laps in 2015. Since the cars didn't get substantially faster over that period (the top qualifying times for 2009 and 2014 are within a second of each other), it's pretty clear the hybrids are able to maintain essentially the same lap times as the straight diesels while burning substantially less fuel, so my guess is that Turn 10 models the correct fuel tank size for the cars, but doesn't have a way of modeling the reduced fuel flow and energy recovery from the smaller engine and flywheel system on the hybrid Audi.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I've done the first 3 volumes in single player, and have only raced on Le Mans Bugatti ONCE!

Forza 6 GOTY

I'm baffled as to why that stupid track even keeps showing up in Forza, since it's neither fun nor interesting to drive with any class of car.

Even the newer tracks that get a lot of grief for being really derivative (Bahrain) have at least some sections that are fun to drive, and pretty much every other track/layout the game works well with at least one type of car, but Bugatti just manages to be a different kind of awkwardly annoying for different cars.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Cubey posted:

Sounds like Turn 10 overcompensated regarding fuel consumption and tire wear being not a thing in Forza 3, 4 and 5. This will make longer races more interesting, at least.

Is there a fuel gauge at all?

There's a white bar in the middle of the HUD tach/speedometer that decreases as you burn off fuel.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

robotsinmyhead posted:

The AI racers are all over the loving board. I went up a tick on the difficulty cause I was winning by miles, and now I'm still almost winning by miles, but a singular car is cleaning my loving CLOCK - like winning by 10sec over me in 2nd and beating the field by 15-20sec. It's madness. I wish I had a video of the last race cause it looked mindbending.

I think Turn10 has said they're looking into that, but I've noticed the same thing. On one of the endurance races, one of the cars was consistently lapping 2-3 seconds faster than the rest of the field (Apparently "M. Rossi" is back, and still a dick), and I've seen similar behavior in the shorter races as well.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

L_Harrison posted:

40% brake bias is laughably wrong, unless you want to spin everytime you enter a corner. 46 or 47 is usually good for most cars.

Edit: Also, I don't know how it was possible, but they made the Lotus F1 car even worse to drive than in Forza 5. It's the biggest pile of poo poo I think I've ever driven in Forza.

I'd guess that the Lotus F1 car probably involves a fair bit of guesswork and compromises by Turn 10, since Forza doesn't model some of the crucial parts of modern F1 cars (the hybrid system, DRS, and some of the more complex aerodynamic bits that generate downforce) and I'd be kind of surprised if Turn 10 got any kind of significantly detailed engineering or performance data from Lotus about the actual car, since F1 teams are notoriously secretive about anything like that.

On the subject of open wheel cars, I find it hilarious that someone decided to put the Formula E cars into a career mode block that includes a set of tracks chosen for high speeds and fast, sweeping corners. The Formula E cars are actually a lot of fun on shorter or wet tracks, but running 10 laps of Daytona in a car that tops out around 150MPH strikes me as kind of silly.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Race transmissions also have the benefit of being a six speed gearbox, which can be really helpful on older cars that might only have a 3 or 4 speed transmission with the stock or sport options.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

There's no way play testers could test every combination of car and upgrade. Eventually a user will randomly find a combination that works as a cheater car and you hope they fix it. Hopefully Microsoft isn't so draconian about updates as they were on 360. Back when they thought making patches really expensive and hard to certify would somehow cause developers to make better games.

The strange thing is that I think something similar (drivetrain swap completely breaks the PI system on lightweight cars, Minis end up topping the leaderboards) happening in Forza 5, and earlier games had PI issues of their own (I remember the AWD swap completely breaking one game, and never really being fixed), so whatever system Turn 10 uses to calculate PI appears to have some kind of underlying flaw that shows up every time a new game comes out.

Has anyone else noticed that the drivatars seem to be pants-on-head retarded when it comes to driving anything with lots of downforce? With road cars, the AI seems to be reasonably competent, but with the (70's or modern) F1 or Indy cars, I have no trouble driving a couple seconds per lap faster than the AI on "pro" or "unbeatable", and there's frequently AI cars ending up in the runoffs on basically any track that has them.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 6, 2015

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I hadn't realized the Nissan was installed with the content update, and it's certainly interesting to drive. Despite being FWD (Turn 10 modeled it without the KERS system powering the rear wheels), it tends to oversteer, launching out of low speed corners is tricky without traction control, and the stock suspension settings result in it bottoming out pretty often.

Haven't tested to see if the lap times at LeMans are as abysmal as the real thing, but I do appreciate the irony of including one of the most dominant race cars ever built (the MP4/4) in the same pack as one (or two, if you include the Lola) that has been a pretty spectacular failure so far.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 4, 2015

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

After reading this thread yesterday I literally had a dream last night in which I was sitting in front of my console and the selector on the screen was drifting. I swear on whatever you like, I actually dreamed about something Cubivore said. In the dream I was cursing the controller and when I woke up the absurdity of the situation cracked me up.
I'm not kidding, this actually occurred. Stick drift concern is real to me, now.

Also, this (I haven't tried SP yet since the patches; but I was hoping it was resolved so I could continue my career without having to drive like Mad Max.)

I think that issue got addressed at some point, and (from what I've seen) is largely fixed.

When Forza 6 launched, the first few AI cars would lap several seconds faster than the rest of the field, but after the October update, most of the AI cars run pretty similar lap times, although there are still occasions when the first place car just takes off. I usually run the second hardest AI setting with the "limit drivatar aggression" turned on (to keep them from doing as much stupid poo poo), so I don't know if the bug still shows up on the hardest AI setting.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

geeves posted:

Apparently they screwed up the force feedback.

There's still feedback in the triggers for wheelspin and braking, but the feedback for losing grip, hitting bumps, or crashing into things has basically been disabled for controllers. At least there weren't any major bugs that got through QA... :downs:

I started working on some paints.

Can't find a cougar (or anything vaguely similar) to finish this off, and I'm trying to get the sponsors on the front bumper to work with the weird way Turn10 has this mapped out.

Too soon?

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 18, 2016

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MattD1zzl3 posted:

share that dale/floyd paint job!

Unfortunately, since I'm terrible at creating vinyls (the "ME" on the Ricky Bobby car took something like 30 minutes from scratch), all of the vinyls on the car are from the storefront, so it won't let me share the paint.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
On the subject of licensing, apparently VW won't be in FH3, since Turn10 couldn't reach an agreement for that specific brand.

Since other Volkswagen brands will be in the game, I have to wonder if VW wasn't insisting on some kind of restrictions (no engine or exhaust modifications maybe) in the wake of their emissions scandal.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

sellouts posted:

How did the handful of you beat challenge #23, find your own path in the Audi?

I cut through a few parts but seem to end up .6 mi short. The stone wall seems to really get me.

The route I ended up using was to get out of the gorge, then angle mostly towards the city, in order to pick up the road that run into it through the forested area. You can actually follow the train tracks as you approach the city to shave some distance off of the road route, but I still completed it with zero time remaining.

I did eventually turn off the damage, since I kept wrecking the engine and steering from the bumps on the route, even when I avoided cars or trees.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Has anyone else run into an issue where the brakes on a car randomly stop working?

I've had several instances where pressing the left trigger results in almost zero braking (despite no brake damage, and the telemetry registering 100% brake application), regardless of the ABS setting, but it seems to go away once I swap to a different car, although I've had to install a different brake upgrade to resolve the problem on one occasion.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 1, 2016

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

robotsinmyhead posted:

The Goliath race is hella fun. The AI seems exaggeratedly retarded on it though, I ended up lapping them at the finish line (2 laps). I've got them on Above Average and some of the races are KINDA close, but this was a joke.

I think something about the length of the Goliath race completely breaks the AI, since I always end up lapping AI cars by the second lap, but once I actually get close to them, they suddenly start driving a lot faster and are much harder to pass.

What I suspect happens is that FH3 only fully models AI drivers within a certain distance of the player (and starts using a much simpler AI model past that point), so the drivatars become "stupid" (and far slower) once you get too far ahead, only to magically get much smarter when you come back to lap them and close the distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'm kind of confused how Playground managed to break the PI system so completely in this game, since Forza 5, FH2, Forza 6 and FH3 all share the same engine, and the first three Xbone Forza games all had pretty similar PI systems.

It wouldn't be as bad if the AI didn't seem to have a different understanding of physics than the rest of the universe, since I've seen AI muscle cars with huge power upgrades on stock tires and suspension taking corners in the rain like they were glued to the road.

Since the issue seems to be a fundamental change with how the game calculates PI (instead of just having a few car/upgrade combos that break the PI system), I'm guessing that we're probably never going to get the PI system addressed until FH4 comes out in 2018.

• Locked thread