Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

patentmagus posted:

Add in the bridezilla aspects and it becomes absolutely insipid.

What got me was Rachel's "Hey! Let's maximize the drama by telling my mom the big secret!" It's not high school, it's jr. high. Donna did a good job of properly handling idiot Rachel with kid gloves.

How is she being a Bridezilla? Her wanting to tell her mom wasn't crazy. Donna was right, of course, but Rachel realizing that one of the most important moments of her life and important moments with her and her mother is being ruined by Mikes secret and wishing it didn't have to be doesn't make her an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It makes her in-denial. The writing's noticeably down this season. What would really bring it up is Louis smoking the pot.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I actually don't mind the ~*~Mike's Secret~*~ stuff this time around as much because at least it finally feels like it matters for the characters. Before you had all this drama about whether someone will find out or not and it always had zero tension to it because you knew the main character of the TV show isn't going to go to jail forever. At least now it feels like it has the potential to have some serious consequences for the characters, even if it ultimately doesn't because it's still just a stereotypical USA show.

Only thing that bugged me about the last episode was that this show is continuing its tendency to have everyone handle everything in the most dramatic, seemingly least-thought-out way possible. I don't see why Jack couldn't have just told Jessica that Hardman has something on him and that he was going to make this move because he had no choice. He would have still had to make the move, he would still ultimately be against Jessica & Co, but at least his sympathetic turn would have had a lasting impact and we'd actually feel bad for the guy for being put in this position. Instead he's just apparently back to being a huge dick and having him make up with Mike, Louis, Harvey, and Jessica is just immediately thrown out the window.

This show in general has a tendency to just have people's entire personalities/moods flip at the drop of a hat, and it's starting to be a bit of a bummer. It's like it doesn't matter what happened in the last two, three, four episodes because the next episode might just have any random character get in a fight with someone else. They could really use a slower half-season or even mini-arc where they just have some cases and everyone deals with their poo poo once and for all before moving on to some new challenge/adversary/problem instead of just recycling Mike's Secret and Hardman for another 4-5 seasons before this show is mercifully cancelled.

VDay fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Aug 21, 2015

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
What bugs me the most about this season is that they are no longer lawyers but some kind of M&A consultants who leverage their insights into their clients to make deals.

I mean Hardman, the guy who stole money from his clients, is now running around with effectively unlimited cash buying businesses that are clients of Pearson/Specter/Litt so they lose clients.

If I were Jessica I would announce that to everyone "hey, do you want to sell your company for much more than it's valued at? Get us on retainer!"

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I like how Mikes friend was telling him to quit because how could he live with himself! Pretty sure Mikes ok with what he's doing. And if it was real life he's acting the most like anyone else would in his situation. Who the gently caress would give up everything he has because "it's illegal" even though he'll probably never get caught.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

VDay posted:

Only thing that bugged me about the last episode was that this show is continuing its tendency to have everyone handle everything in the most dramatic, seemingly least-thought-out way possible...This show in general has a tendency to just have people's entire personalities/moods flip at the drop of a hat, and it's starting to be a bit of a bummer.

They all have copies of Machiavelli's The Prince stashed away and read it every day.

Holyshoot posted:

I like how Mikes friend was telling him to quit because how could he live with himself! Pretty sure Mikes ok with what he's doing. And if it was real life he's acting the most like anyone else would in his situation. Who the gently caress would give up everything he has because "it's illegal" even though he'll probably never get caught.

Calling Trevor was the most retarded thing he's done since the last time he talked to Trevor. How many ways did that guy try to gently caress Mike over? Hell, he tried to ruin the relationship with the woman Mike's inviting him to watch marry.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I'm relieved they didn't go full-retard and retread the 'scumbag best friend' plot.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
BUT GUYS, HE'S CHANGED!!!!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Summer Finale today?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Holy crap that rag they put on Mike's head :lol:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Grammy sure is old in the past.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Grammy sure is old in the past.

Priest also hasn't aged in 17 years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Harvey and Jessica look exactly the same but to be fair so do the actors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also they played a commercial for that new sitcom about the talk show host and oddly enough they had refilmed a scene in between the last time they aired that commercial.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So we will have no time in the present in this finale?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Who would divorce Gina Torres?!

Don't cry Louis :smith:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Harvey and his brother look way too old for that story.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Of course!

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 27, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Next half season is Mike and Harvey starting their own firm.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Or not

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This doesn't matter now but Would resigning even stop litigation for past cases if the cops found out?

Also I want to see what they pull out of their rear end this time to save Mike.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

PaganGoatPants posted:

This doesn't matter now but Would resigning even stop litigation for past cases if the cops found out?

Also I want to see what they pull out of their rear end this time to save Mike.

Simple: lawful arguments override procedural requirements and I would agree. Just need Specter to represent.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm assuming the arrest is a fake out and not about "Mike's Secret" but something else he did biting him in the rear end.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
100% sure that is it now that I read that.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
That was my guess as well. I'm excited to see how the resolution requires Mike and Harvey to continue working at PSLitt for some reason.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oh my god they're literally just doing the same poo poo they've already done in past seasons over again. The episode had some nice, touching moments but I actually laughed out loud when Mike got arrested in the last scene. Like, really? Just going to play this card again? After Mike quit again? After Jessica won a vote over Hardman to stay in charge again? At this point I'd be ok with them all quitting and just going to Miami to become concierge legal consultants just for the sake of giving these characters something new to do. I was actually all set for them to do like a 3-4 year time skip and start next season off with Mike and Harvey working together at their own firm but nope, just going to deal with Mike getting arrested again I guess.

Also I know this is kind of an unfair game to play since it's a TV show, but it's hilarious to think about what a gigantic clusterfuck Jessica's firm is on a week-to-week basis. Like she just won a vote of no confidence and convinced her partners that she should stay in charge...and then a junior partner is immediately arrested for fraud, a named partner resigns out of the blue, and a senior partner (Jack) is presumably going to be fired. That's gotta be great for company morale. Hell Jack should just call that vote again, I'm pretty sure he'd win.

Despite my complaints I still enjoy watching this but maaaaaaan I don't remember the last time a show decided to just spin its wheels for a season this hard.

VDay fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 27, 2015

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The simple fact that it's only Mike they arrest for conspiracy to commit fraud means it's not his "secret" but some other shady stuff (probably some of his investment banker stuff) that's getting him into trouble, which will in turn force Harvey to stay with P/S/L.

I also think that they are incredibly stupid with the Mike situation. As soon as they uncovered his secret they should have stopped assigning him cases as attorney and basically used him as an elite paralegal. They could have still payed him like a junior partner which would have meant they are no longer actively violating the law. This is important because after 5 years the statute of limitations will guarantee that all of them are "safe" and Mike could just have gone to some lovely lawschool, get his degree in record time, take the bar and work as lawyer. Hell, if he would have lasted for 5 years as investment banker he would have been in the clear.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

mike was arrested for conspiracy to commit fraud, not fraud.

but then again the show runner in an interview said that this is the real deal so who knows.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Trevor probably sold him out because ~drama~

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

Ernie. posted:

but then again the show runner in an interview said that this is the real deal so who knows.

Spoilers inside: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/suits-midseason-finale-spoilers-aaron-817505

Innate
Feb 20, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

Holy crap that rag they put on Mike's head :lol:

I thought it was Elijah Wood.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

adrenaline_junket posted:

Spoilers inside: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/suits-midseason-finale-spoilers-aaron-817505

quote:

How far have you planned ahead now and could the show live past next season?

We have not planned. Every year we think we have enough story to last for 16 episodes and by the time we get to episode 10 we’ve done every single thing we thought we were going to do. By the back six we scramble, but often that’s when we've come up with some of our best stuff

loving lol

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sounds about right from what we've seen.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Haha holy poo poo that's kind of incredible.

"Yeah no we don't have poo poo. I have no idea how we even get this far!"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Guys Mike is going to his bachelor party.

Maybe.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Eidetic memory's a big deal. Mike should be recruited by NSA to serve as a human composite of multiple different intelligence databases, such as the NSA's and CIA's. The show can then be about Mike, the Human Composite, and his handlers.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Just caught the finale now, it'll be interesting to see where things go from here now that they've finally fired the gun they've kept loaded since episode 1. At least it'll be a break from Hardman's third or so attempted takeover of the firm.

I'm personally holding out for a hilarious result like Mike beating the rap through typical Suits legal wrangling, i.e. explicit blackmail, and then deciding that counting cards is the way to live an honest and legal life and provide for his family.

Edit: Oh, and I'm 100% convinced that Mike got turned in by Hardman. He did some investigating on his own or picked up on it from a conversation somewhere, and filed that nugget away for later use. He didn't use it until he lost his source of infinite money, since it's a nuclear option that scandalizes the firm he intends to take back over. His main goal is to get Jessica on the hook for knowing about it and covering it up. The timing of Mike's arrest is no accident, it's a straight line for Hardman of "Oh, Harvey's resigning but I've lost my money and won't get Jessica, time to turn Mike in to the Fuzz and hope Jessica goes down with him."

I'll go one further and suggest that a document that proves Mike's a fraud is what he's blackmailing his evil proxy in the firm with. Evil proxy found out Mike's secret (maybe he's even the one who told Hardman), but by not reporting it he's on the hook for the conspiracy as well. His frustration when Hardman's secretary reminds him of this isn't just that his own neck is at risk, it's that the guy who he just did a case with and who he grew to like is going to have his life destroyed (if memory serves, he gets that call at the end of, or immediately following, the episode where he and Mike work together to win a big case). We've also seen Proxy screwed over for not reporting something in the past, him not turning in Louis leaking Harvey's salary when he knew about it would have been cause for termination if he admitted it to Jessica, which gave her some leverage to knock him down a few pegs.

Now you have the last 6 episodes of the season neatly tied together with saving Mike and beating Hardman as a joint cause. Plus Hardman is being an rear end in a top hat, but it's been a long time since we saw him cheating on his wife while embezzling funds, so the audience needs to see him as a full-on mustache twirling villain, even if threatening Louis' sister's company and working with the evilest rich guy around already has him most of the way there.

And from Hardman's perspective, his first plan didn't work but he's taken out Jessica's support structure. He thinks Louis will work with him to keep his sister safe (not quite, though I expected Louis to throw a meaningless "no" vote in there to keep his sister safe by the weird logic of this show), Harvey's resigning, and Mike's on his way to jail, or at least not practicing law ever again (Hardman had no way of knowing Mike was planning to resign).

Anyway, this is more of a rant than the writing of Suits ever deserves, but it's my working theory until proven otherwise.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 8, 2015

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

You've fallen for the trick the writers wanted you to. He has been arrested, but we don't know the charges. He'll have actually been arrested for some of the shady poo poo he did either in one of the earlier series' or when he was an investment banker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Slash posted:

You've fallen for the trick the writers wanted you to. He has been arrested, but we don't know the charges. He'll have actually been arrested for some of the shady poo poo he did either in one of the earlier series' or when he was an investment banker.

Mike got arrested because there is a warrant due to an unpaid fine. Probably for an unpaid weed and litter type infraction because he chained his old bike somewhere and then just left it there.

• Locked thread